PDA

View Full Version : John Elway: Broncos 'not afraid to play young guys'

Denver Native (Carol)
02-20-2015, 12:45 PM
INDIANAPOLIS – First, Denver Broncos coach Gary Kubiak said it at the NFL scouting combine.

Then executive vice president of football operations/general manager John Elway said it a day later at the combine. So, that’s a 2-0 vote of the team’s football power brokers, a landslide really, that the players from the team’s 2014 draft class who didn’t play much, or at all, in their rookie seasons will get their chance to earn far more this time around.

While the defensive players in the team’s Class of ’14, including first-round pick Bradley Roby, found their way into the lineup last season, the three players who played on offense did not. And that’s going to change for those players and the ones who follow.

“They’re going to have expectations for those young guys to be able to step in and be able to contribute early,’’ Elway said. “That’s the coaching staff, that’s Gary’s mindset, the coaching staff’s mindset, they’re not afraid to play young guys. They’ll get them trained up to play, which is going to be beneficial to us.’’

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/12061/john-elway-broncos-not-afraid-to-play-young-guys

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-20-2015, 12:53 PM
That has always been a criticism of Fox.

Northman
02-20-2015, 01:20 PM
That has always been a criticism of Fox.

Sometimes you just need to let them play to see what you have.

GEM
02-20-2015, 01:34 PM
Hopefully we can see what Latimer has then. I think Fox cramped his first season. Fox was definitely loyal to veterans, and that's good until you have a rookie who may be better than a veteran.

It's going to be fun to see the differences between Fox and Kubes. I think the the changes will benefit the Broncos.

BeefStew25
02-20-2015, 01:38 PM
You have to get them to gel.

Dapper Dan
02-20-2015, 01:45 PM
Uh oh. That's it. He's playing for the future. Chalk it up. Elway is giving up.

Dapper Dan
02-20-2015, 01:45 PM
You have to get them to gel.

I think you missed that discussion, but most guys on here prefer pomade.

Northman
02-20-2015, 02:18 PM
Hopefully we can see what Latimer has then. I think Fox cramped his first season. Fox was definitely loyal to veterans, and that's good until you have a rookie who may be better than a veteran.

It's going to be fun to see the differences between Fox and Kubes. I think the the changes will benefit the Broncos.

Same.

I think last year i would of liked to have seen Latimer maybe put in #2 and have Sanders move to Welker's position. I think Sanders would of made a bigger impact there down the stretch while at the same time seeing if Latimer could make plays playing opposite of DT.

LawDog
02-20-2015, 03:29 PM
Same.

I think last year i would of liked to have seen Latimer maybe put in #2 and have Sanders move to Welker's position. I think Sanders would of made a bigger impact there down the stretch while at the same time seeing if Latimer could make plays playing opposite of DT.

/grammar rant: you do this all the time (literally ALL.THE.TIME). It is would have... could have...

/end rant

7DnBrnc53
02-20-2015, 05:07 PM
Heck, Fox still started 15-year veteran Rodney Peete in Week 1 of the 03 season after they signed Jake Delhomme. Jake had to bail them out in that game after they fell down 17-0.

Northman
02-20-2015, 05:14 PM
/grammar rant: you do this all the time (literally ALL.THE.TIME). It is would have... could have...

/end rant

Too bad. Deal. :)

Denver Native (Carol)
02-21-2015, 10:55 AM
INDIANAPOLIS — The Broncos' inability to develop young players became a growing concern last season. The team's top two draft choices, wide receiver Cody Latimer and right tackle Michael Schofield, were ghosts in uniforms.

Latimer, who honed his skills on the scout team, should benefit from a less complicated offense under coach Gary Kubiak.

"I spent a whole day with him in Baltimore (last year before the draft)," coach Gary Kubiak said. "We really, really liked him. He has a lot of ability. Usually a player like that is going to make his biggest jump from year one to year two."

Latimer caught two passes and returned two kickoffs last season. It sat in stark contrast to his impressive preseason. Wes Welker's potential departure could clear a spot to the field.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27568646/expectations-high-cody-latimer-second-year

LTC Pain
02-21-2015, 01:35 PM
Excellent! We've turned another page from Fox-ball.

Timmy!
02-21-2015, 01:41 PM
rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27568646/expectations-high-cody-latimer-second-year

Dear Denver post, you suck at editing. Top two draft choices? Roby says hello.

slim
02-21-2015, 03:07 PM
Interesting. ..

slim
02-21-2015, 03:08 PM
Oz is a young player.

TXBRONC
02-22-2015, 09:27 AM
Oz is a young player.

True, but most other players do not have sure fire Hall of Famer playing in front of them.

Northman
02-22-2015, 12:11 PM
Yea, i didnt understand Slim there either. lmao

BroncoWave
02-22-2015, 12:15 PM
We definitely need to get Latimer on the field and see what he can do. It concerned me that he couldn't even crack the lineup over Welker last year. Hopefully we can just chalk that up to Foxball.

Jsteve01
02-22-2015, 01:00 PM
We definitely need to get Latimer on the field and see what he can do. It concerned me that he couldn't even crack the lineup over Welker last year. Hopefully we can just chalk that up to Foxball. I think it's all fox ball. People were raving about him in camp and we all saw him in preseason. Problem is that slot is not his natural position so it doesn't surprise me he couldn't get on the field over Wes. Given the nature of his foot injury the red shirt season my be a blessing in disguise

TXBRONC
02-22-2015, 03:58 PM
We definitely need to get Latimer on the field and see what he can do. It concerned me that he couldn't even crack the lineup over Welker last year. Hopefully we can just chalk that up to Foxball.

A criticism I've heard of Fox is that he is loyal to a fault to veterans. So it might very well be more on Fox than on Latimer.

Dapper Dan
02-22-2015, 05:30 PM
We should just blame all of our issues on Fox, since he's gone.

spikerman
02-22-2015, 05:44 PM

I see what you're saying, and I like Fox, but I don't think I've ever seen less fight in professional franchises than last year's SB team and this year's playoff team. New blood was needed. If Kubiak is the right guy remains to be seen.

TXBRONC
02-22-2015, 07:20 PM

I'm not blaming him for everything. When he was hired a Panthers fan came here and one criticisms of him in Carolina was that Fox was very loyal veterans at expense of developing younger players. There might be some truth to it and still doesn't mean that he was a horrible coach.

BroncoWave
02-22-2015, 09:52 PM

So you mean we're done blaming McDaniels for everything? Well it was a nice run!

Dapper Dan
02-22-2015, 10:37 PM
So you mean we're done blaming McDaniels for everything? Well it was a nice run!

I just lawld

spikerman
02-22-2015, 11:12 PM

Oh, he still deserves plenty of blame. I'd take Fox over him any day.

TXBRONC
02-22-2015, 11:49 PM

Agreed.

7DnBrnc53
02-23-2015, 12:54 AM
I'm not blaming him for everything. When he was hired a Panthers fan came here and one criticisms of him in Carolina was that Fox was very loyal veterans at expense of developing younger players. There might be some truth to it and still doesn't mean that he was horrible coach.

In 2003, he started Rodney Peete in Week 1 after signing Jake Delhomme. That was a big example.

However, seven years later, he sabotaged the promising Matt Moore so he could start Jimmy Clausen, a QB that they almost traded their 2011 first-round pick to get (they were going to trade with the Rams, and get the first pick in the second round).

Simple Jaded
02-23-2015, 01:12 AM

I'd take Megan Fox at HC over McDaniels.

Valar Morghulis
02-23-2015, 05:43 AM
Manning refuses pay cut, does not like new system, Broncos trade Manning for Cutler......

BroncoJoe
02-23-2015, 08:10 AM
Manning refuses pay cut, does not like new system, Broncos trade Manning for Cutler......

You bite your tongue, Dave!

Valar Morghulis
02-23-2015, 08:24 AM
You bite your tongue, Dave!

Lol, I can't believe it took over 2 1/2 hours before someone picked up on that post.

Think about it, PFM knows Gase system, likes Fox, Chicago want rid of Cutler, Cutler is younger, he would not change our cap this year, he would fit well with kubes.

I was only joking, but know I think it is going to happen......

TXBRONC
02-23-2015, 08:28 AM
In 2003, he started Rodney Peete in Week 1 after signing Jake Delhomme. That was a big example.

However, seven years later, he sabotaged the promising Matt Moore so he could start Jimmy Clausen, a QB that they almost traded their 2011 first-round pick to get (they were going to trade with the Rams, and get the first pick in the second round).

We are creatures of habit but that doesn't mean we exactly the same in every situation. Like I said, that does not make him responsible for every problem.

Rick
02-23-2015, 11:54 AM

This just in:

Denver trades Peyton Manning to Buffalo for 2 first round picks and Kyle Orton.

Valar Morghulis
02-23-2015, 11:59 AM
This just in:

Denver trades Peyton Manning to Buffalo for 2 first round picks and Kyle Orton.

Good effort