PDA

View Full Version : John Elway on free agents: 'We have to do what's best for Broncos'



Buff
02-19-2015, 10:31 PM
Lots of telling stuff in Klis' latest piece... http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27561625/john-elway-free-agents-we-have-do-whats

Most notably, I found this surprising about Manning...


Peyton Manning. "He has not given me a definitive answer, exactly what he wants to do," Elway said. "But we're hopeful he's going to come back."

The star quarterback is expected to return for his 18th NFL season. Elway wouldn't discuss whether tweaks to the final two years of Manning's contract, at $19 million per, is the hold up.

It's not the physical. Manning apparently has already passed one exam, although he would still have to clear Bronco doctors' inspection some time between Monday and March 5.

"He told me about the physical that he went through with the doctor down in New Orleans," Elway said. "And he felt good about the results that came out of that."

All reports so far have been that we want him back as long as he can still physically play. But this would seem to imply that Manning said he can physically play, but that he still has some additional decision to make... So did Elway propose a restructured contract when he came to town last week?

Also, sounds like JT is as good as gone, and if I were a betting man I'd say Franklin and Potroast are gone as well based on Elway's lukewarm comments.

Jaded
02-19-2015, 10:49 PM
And the plot thickens.

tomjonesrocks
02-19-2015, 10:52 PM
Letting pot roast walk seems like a big mistake. Teammates want him back and he's a big piece of the defense.

The rest of it seems like sound, and ballsy, business.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-19-2015, 11:10 PM
Letting pot roast walk seems like a big mistake. Teammates want him back and he's a big piece of the defense.

The rest of it seems like sound, and ballsy, business.

Yes and no...he only plays 50% of the snaps.

Timmy!
02-20-2015, 12:56 AM
Lots of telling stuff in Klis' latest piece... http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27561625/john-elway-free-agents-we-have-do-whats

Most notably, I found this surprising about Manning...



All reports so far have been that we want him back as long as he can still physically play. But this would seem to imply that Manning said he can physically play, but that he still has some additional decision to make... So did Elway propose a restructured contract when he came to town last week?

Also, sounds like JT is as good as gone, and if I were a betting man I'd say Franklin and Potroast are gone as well based on Elway's lukewarm comments.

Mort and Schefter said on ESPN today (for what its worth) that the Manning thing is about getting a restructure done and these things "take some time."

DenBronx
02-20-2015, 02:34 AM
Letting pot roast walk seems like a big mistake. Teammates want him back and he's a big piece of the defense.

The rest of it seems like sound, and ballsy, business.

Yes and no...he only plays 50% of the snaps.

Where did you come up with that number?

Pretty big impact if he does only play 50%. In Wades 3/4 he might play even more.

VonDoom
02-20-2015, 07:20 AM
Where did you come up with that number?

Pretty big impact if he does only play 50%. In Wades 3/4 he might play even more.

IAOFM had an article up on this last night that mentions that Pot Roast averaged 33 snaps per game. It doesn't have a percentage, but that sounds pretty low. They also highlight the section of the article that says that Knighton is looking for $7.5 million a year. That might just be speculation by them, because if no one has sat down to talk about a contract, I don't know how that figure could be out there. That might explain the Broncos' hesitation, though.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/prime-cuts/slice/it-sounds-like-the-broncos-and-terrance-knighton-are-far-apart-on-numbers

Buff
02-20-2015, 08:58 AM
Mort and Schefter said on ESPN today (for what its worth) that the Manning thing is about getting a restructure done and these things "take some time."

Oh, so maybe this was more widely known than I realized. Here's an interesting thought - what if Manning says no to a restructure? Would we cut him and let him sign with another team for nothing? Would we try to trade him to a team like Houston or Tennessee who might not otherwise be able to sign him on the open market? Depending on timing, Elway would only have a short window to get something done.

Pudge
02-20-2015, 09:04 AM
Oh, so maybe this was more widely known than I realized. Here's an interesting thought - what if Manning says no to a restructure? Would we cut him and let him sign with another team for nothing? Would we try to trade him to a team like Houston or Tennessee who might not otherwise be able to sign him on the open market? Depending on timing, Elway would only have a short window to get something done.

If Denver doesn't want him, he retires. It's too late to start from scratch with a new team

Timmy!
02-20-2015, 09:17 AM
Oh, so maybe this was more widely known than I realized. Here's an interesting thought - what if Manning says no to a restructure? Would we cut him and let him sign with another team for nothing? Would we try to trade him to a team like Houston or Tennessee who might not otherwise be able to sign him on the open market? Depending on timing, Elway would only have a short window to get something done.

Won't happen. They are probably crunching numbers to see how it all fits (this year and beyond with cap hit, etc) and coming up with a "fair" deal. Mort mentioned Peyton did this with the Colts prior and it "took some time." Like I said, take it for what it's worth but it makes sense. I'd expect a news conference Monday or Tuesday.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-20-2015, 09:55 AM
Where did you come up with that number?

Pretty big impact if he does only play 50%. In Wades 3/4 he might play even more.

He plays limited snaps because of his weight, not the scheme.

Northman
02-20-2015, 10:20 AM
Elway is right, you do what is best for the team and organization. No matter how unpopular it might be with the fanbase

Buff
02-20-2015, 10:26 AM
If Denver doesn't want him, he retires. It's too late to start from scratch with a new team

I disagree. I think Manning wants to play in 2015, and for all intents and purposes he is starting with a new system w/ Kubiak. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that he's not a Bronco in 2015.

I'd argue that the odds are higher that he plays with another team than he retires.

BroncoWave
02-20-2015, 10:30 AM
I disagree. I think Manning wants to play in 2015, and for all intents and purposes he is starting with a new system w/ Kubiak. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility that he's not a Bronco in 2015.

I'd argue that the odds are higher that he plays with another team than he retires.

Well Manning as said previously that Denver is his last stop, so unless he's changed his mind I'd thing he'd go with that.

And while he has new coaches, he still has the same teammates. With a new team, he'd have to adjust to both new coaches and new players. I'm not sure he wants to deal with all that again.

weazel
02-20-2015, 10:31 AM
linemen are useless anyway... should just put some tackle dummies there and fill the roster with receivers!

Buff
02-20-2015, 10:33 AM
Well Manning as said previously that Denver is his last stop, so unless he's changed his mind I'd thing he'd go with that.

And while he has new coaches, he still has the same teammates. With a new team, he'd have to adjust to both new coaches and new players. I'm not sure he wants to deal with all that again.

Everything has changed in 3 years. Everything. He has a new HC with a new offense, his confidence was shaken at the end of the season. I just don't put any merit in comments he's made prior to the last 3 months.

That said - I still think there's like an 85% chance he plays for Denver this year, then I'd say there's a 12% chance he plays for another team and a 3% chance he retires.

That's my professional opinion based on rigorous scientific analysis.

Dreadnought
02-20-2015, 10:36 AM
That said - I still think there's like an 85% chance he plays for Denver this year, then I'd say there's a 12% chance he plays for another team and a 3% chance he retires.

That's my professional opinion based on rigorous scientific analysis.

Well thats that then. You can't argue with science.

Timmy!
02-20-2015, 10:39 AM
Nostratimmy concurs with the Buffalo.

Ravage!!!
02-20-2015, 10:49 AM
I think that Elway is very aware that its not HIS position to "announce" if Manning is coming back or not. That's Manning's right, and Elway isn't going to jump in on that. The simple answer, when asked, is "I don't know."

Northman
02-20-2015, 10:51 AM
Nostratimmy concurs with the Buffalo.

Northadamous concurs with Nostratimmy.

Jaded
02-20-2015, 08:07 PM
Oh, so maybe this was more widely known than I realized. Here's an interesting thought - what if Manning says no to a restructure? Would we cut him and let him sign with another team for nothing? Would we try to trade him to a team like Houston or Tennessee who might not otherwise be able to sign him on the open market? Depending on timing, Elway would only have a short window to get something done.
You get Tenn and Hous on the phone and tell them the bidding starts at a 3rd round pick.

spikerman
02-20-2015, 08:13 PM
No way Manning would play for Tennessee, and probably not Houston either. He would retire rather than play for teams that don't have a realistic shot at a title. This is part of what I don't understand; IF this is about money is that more important to Manning than championships? I think Manning probably has more money than he could spend in a lifetime. If he wants to win a championship then giving up some money to bring in key pieces seems like a no-brainer. This is so simple and seems so out of character of what we (think) know about Manning that there must be some other sticking point.

Jaded
02-20-2015, 08:18 PM
Pay cut and restructuring is out of character for Manning, he doesn't do it.

Timmy!
02-20-2015, 08:28 PM
Pay cut and restructuring is out of character for Manning, he doesn't do it.

Reports are he has before with Indy, but it took some time. Keep cool my babies.

BroncoWave
02-20-2015, 11:05 PM
Everything has changed in 3 years. Everything. He has a new HC with a new offense, his confidence was shaken at the end of the season. I just don't put any merit in comments he's made prior to the last 3 months.

That said - I still think there's like an 85% chance he plays for Denver this year, then I'd say there's a 12% chance he plays for another team and a 3% chance he retires.

That's my professional opinion based on rigorous scientific analysis.

Well I just consulted a scientific expert of my own (his name rhymes with bay-gap) and he says you are FOS!

ShaneFalco
02-20-2015, 11:06 PM
im kind of pissed they are letting Franklin walk to FA

Jaded
02-20-2015, 11:19 PM
im kind of pissed they are letting Franklin walk to FA

We don't know that for sure.

ShaneFalco
02-21-2015, 01:07 AM
well i was listening to dmac and co. And they were talking about how he was going to FA asking for Tackle money instead of Guard.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-21-2015, 01:20 AM
well i was listening to dmac and co. And they were talking about how he was going to FA asking for Tackle money instead of Guard.

Man, I cant take anything that radio too says seriously.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-21-2015, 01:24 AM
Everything has changed in 3 years. Everything. He has a new HC with a new offense, his confidence was shaken at the end of the season. I just don't put any merit in comments he's made prior to the last 3 months.

That said - I still think there's like an 85% chance he plays for Denver this year, then I'd say there's a 12% chance he plays for another team and a 3% chance he retires.

That's my professional opinion based on rigorous scientific analysis.

Like roux chambeaux rigorous, or dartboard rigorous?

Denver Native (Carol)
02-26-2015, 05:32 PM
Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold 5h

Brandon Marshall has appeared on several lists circulating in league as a restricted free agents, but he's ERFA...like Garland and Cornick.

Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold 5h

And we have two confirmations of what GP numbers told us -- confirmed by all involved -- #Broncos LB B. Marshall, an exclusive rights FA.

Jaded
02-26-2015, 06:24 PM
I think Denver should lock Marshall up long term instead of taking chance of losing him next year.

Rick
02-26-2015, 06:28 PM
I think Denver should lock Marshall up long term instead of taking chance of losing him next year.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him do that.

I imagine they do the 1 year for vet wage and then he gets signed long term during the season.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-26-2015, 06:35 PM
I think Denver should lock Marshall up long term instead of taking chance of losing him next year.

Right, especially if there's uncertainty around Trevaithan's future.

Jaded
02-26-2015, 06:38 PM
Wouldn't be surprised to see him do that.

I imagine they do the 1 year for vet wage and then he gets signed long term during the season.

First round tender, 3rd round minimum. What tender did Harris get last year?

VonDoom
02-26-2015, 06:39 PM
I think Denver should lock Marshall up long term instead of taking chance of losing him next year.

I agree, but I don't see any reason why they couldn't do it before he becomes a RFA next year. As it is, he's a steal for his price tag. The difference between what we have to pay him as an ERFA and even a 2nd round tender as a RFA is big when we're trying to save cap space ($585,000 vs. $2,351,000).

IAOFM was on top of this story for a while, even while Legwold said that the league had Marshall as a RFA. See this article if you're interested:

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/source-brandon-marshall-is-an-exclusive-rights-free-agent-not-restricted-fa

Jaded
02-26-2015, 06:44 PM
I agree, but I don't see any reason why they couldn't do it before he becomes a RFA next year. As it is, he's a steal for his price tag. The difference between what we have to pay him as an ERFA and even a 2nd round tender as a RFA is big when we're trying to save cap space ($585,000 vs. $2,351,000).

IAOFM was on top of this story for a while, even while Legwold said that the league had Marshall as a RFA. See this article if you're interested:

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/source-brandon-marshall-is-an-exclusive-rights-free-agent-not-restricted-fa

So Marshall is restricted next offseason too?

VonDoom
02-26-2015, 06:47 PM
So Marshall is restricted next offseason too?

I'm not 100%sure on that. Either way, we can work out a long term deal like with Harris this year before Marshall is any kind of FA

Jaded
02-26-2015, 06:51 PM
Ha! Right on.

VonDoom
02-26-2015, 06:53 PM
So Marshall is restricted next offseason too?

Now that I had a second to look into this, I believe that yes, he would be RFA next year. EFRA have two accrued seasons of eligibility, RFA have three accrued seasons. So by definition, that should be Marshall if he plays next year without a major injury (knock on wood). I Googled it, but this website mentions what I said above:

http://www.askthecommish.com/freeagency/

Rick
02-26-2015, 06:57 PM
First round tender, 3rd round minimum. What tender did Harris get last year?

Marshall is exclusive rights, he has to play for vet minimum.

http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/source-brandon-marshall-is-an-exclusive-rights-free-agent-not-restricted-fa

"Brandon Marshall is scheduled to become an exclusive rights free agent, IAOFM has confirmed through a reliable source. This means that Denver will be able to tender Marshall a one-year deal at a salary of $585K, and the linebacker will not be free to negotiate with any other teams, unless the Broncos inexplicably choose not to tender him."

dogfish
02-26-2015, 07:19 PM
Right, especially if there's uncertainty around Trevaithan's future.

there is-- quite a bit. . . don't need the team docs to come out and say it at this point, it's just obvious. . . it's a shame, but it happens in football. . . you hope he's just had a rough stretch and can play through it-- he's still young, and plenty of guys have come back from worse and still been effective. . .

i'd like to see them lock marshall up either way, though. . .

underrated29
02-26-2015, 09:02 PM
Harris was a 2nd rd tender, jaded...I'm pretty sure.

I'd consider the same for him or the first.....the lb needy teams have low picks so I think a 2nd rd tender would be perfect. If someone signs him and we don't match we get an early 2nd Rdr most likely...bendarick McKinney would look real nice with an early 2nd to replace him while still be able to target an OLB (or whoever). If they don't bite we pay him less and keep him.

Jaded
02-26-2015, 09:19 PM
Harris was coming off an ACL so perhaps he gets a 1st otherwise.

I was thinking McKinley would work his way out of reach for Denver, I don't think he's done that (yet) and I got a bit of a chub. I'm not at all interested in Perriman and I think Kendricks might have to be the same position as Marshall and Trevathon.

I'm liking this Virginia OLB, Eli Harold, I looked at Ereck Flowers and noticed Harold throwing him a beating.

VonDoom
02-26-2015, 09:44 PM
Harris was a 2nd rd tender, jaded...I'm pretty sure.

I'd consider the same for him or the first.....the lb needy teams have low picks so I think a 2nd rd tender would be perfect. If someone signs him and we don't match we get an early 2nd Rdr most likely...bendarick McKinney would look real nice with an early 2nd to replace him while still be able to target an OLB (or whoever). If they don't bite we pay him less and keep him.

Right, but as stated, as an EFRA, there is no tender. We give him the vet minimum and no one can match it. Next year will be a different story a la Harris

underrated29
02-26-2015, 10:47 PM
Right, but as stated, as an EFRA, there is no tender. We give him the vet minimum and no one can match it. Next year will be a different story a la Harris

Sexy! I didn't read the article. Thanks for explaining.


Jaded- do you mean McKinney in rd 1 or 2? I do not think he falls to us in 2. The Chiefs apparently love the guy. They would take him in the 2nd if still there. I've read that the jets steel and lions? I think like him a lot too. I'd love him with our second but as of now that seems unlikely

Jaded
02-26-2015, 11:40 PM
Sexy! I didn't read the article. Thanks for explaining.


Jaded- do you mean McKinney in rd 1 or 2? I do not think he falls to us in 2. The Chiefs apparently love the guy. They would take him in the 2nd if still there. I've read that the jets steel and lions? I think like him a lot too. I'd love him with our second but as of now that seems unlikely

Yeah round 1, NFLDraftScout has had him 1-2 round since he declared which puts him about where Denver is picking. Ziggy got me thinking he'll move up once he starts workout process but I think he's still 1-2 ish until his pro day. I could be worng.

KC can have him if that means they'll continue to ignore their WR issues.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-27-2015, 11:23 AM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi 34m

Not much progress on a long-term deal for D-Thomas. He expects to be franchise tagged on Tuesday. #Broncos

NightTerror218
02-27-2015, 12:59 PM
From what I hear...Broncos have $26 million in cap space aka spotrac.com/NFL/denver-broncos/cap/ . Not counting money for draft picks since that can be covered with rollover from last year.Approx $12 mill for tag on DT. Leaves $14 mill for everything else.

Anyone going to get the Axe to save cap space?

I think we can save some on Peyton contract. Save $16 million releasing him.

Possible Cuts with most savings
Colquitt...save $1.25 mill
Man Ram..save $2 mill
Chris Clark...save $1.5 mill
Andre Caldwell..save $1.3 mill
Then there are a lot of vet mins.

I think Moore will be resigned with team friendly offer maybe $3 mill a year.
Franklin may be resigned if they cut someone or Manning restructure, he will be getting $6 mill (Beadles got $5 mill)
Pot roast is gone, Sylvester Williams will get a shot.
JT is gone.
Virgil Green gets a new deal, $2 mill seams right
Marshal gets a tender.
Paradis, Schofield will get shot on OL to replace Montgomery and RT. Draft will help OL as well I guess.

TXBRONC
02-27-2015, 01:05 PM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi 34m

Not much progress on a long-term deal for D-Thomas. He expects to be franchise tagged on Tuesday. #Broncos

I could see playing out in a similar way that it did with Clady. IIRC he was tagged and then Denver worked out a long term deal.

DenBronx
02-28-2015, 06:45 AM
And then that screwes our chances of tagging someone else on a 1 year rental, like Knighton.

My thoughts on Wes Welker. If he comes back cheap then id take another shot at him. He played hurt most of last year. I do have concerns about him though. One more big hit and it might be serious for him or at least cause him to have the same problems as last year.

So why not Reggie Wayne instead for a slot WR? He's due to become a FA on the 10th. Just a thought. That's if he came cheap and Welker doesn't come back.

TXBRONC
02-28-2015, 09:00 AM
And then that screwes our chances of tagging someone else on a 1 year rental, like Knighton.

My thoughts on Wes Welker. If he comes back cheap then id take another shot at him. He played hurt most of last year. I do have concerns about him though. One more big hit and it might be serious for him or at least cause him to have the same problems as last year.

So why not Reggie Wayne instead for a slot WR? He's due to become a FA on the 10th. Just a thought. That's if he came cheap and Welker doesn't come back.

Well you can only tag one player with a franchise tag anyway and it appears D.Thomas is the priority. Denver has receivers to develop there is no need to sign Wayne.

Ziggy
02-28-2015, 11:31 AM
The Broncos aren't tagging Knighton even if they come to an agreement with DT.

Jaded
03-01-2015, 01:01 AM
Spotrac includes rookie salary slots in their cap breakdown.

Cugel
03-01-2015, 08:27 PM
Oh, so maybe this was more widely known than I realized. Here's an interesting thought - what if Manning says no to a restructure? Would we cut him and let him sign with another team for nothing? Would we try to trade him to a team like Houston or Tennessee who might not otherwise be able to sign him on the open market? Depending on timing, Elway would only have a short window to get something done.

Manning is not going to say no to the re-structure.

There's all kinds of misinformation all over the Web about this issue with some uninformed fans comparing Tom Brady's contract with Manning's and "demanding" that Peyton take a pay-cut.

#1 - The re-structure will be to allocate more money under the salary cap, not cut Peyton's pay. When Peyton signed with the Broncos he told the team that he wanted the same money he was getting in Indy. As a FA he could almost have written his own figure. He could have demanded (and gotten) $30 million if he wanted. The Titans owner was so desperate he would have done that deal some kind of way. Other teams would have as well. All the leverage was on Peyton's side as the best FA in NFL history. So, the Broncos are not going to try and screw Peyton now.

They either want him back - at essentially his current contract, however that is "re-structured" the "re-structure" is not going to cost Peyton $, or they don't and he retires. Elway has made it clear they do want him back. End of story there.

#2 - Brady did re-negotiate his contract but for the same reason - to free up more money under the Pat's cap by transferring some money into guaranteed money which is pro-rated over the life of the contract. (I.E. he gets his money now, but it's spread out over the life of the contract so the cap hit is less this season). He's actually getting MORE $ up front this season. He's NOT taking a pay-cut!

NightTerror218
03-06-2015, 01:13 PM
Anyone know much about DT Dan Williams, NT from AZ. Still in his 20s. He us considered a bargain DT in FA. Could he be a cheap NT in FA for depth? He could compete with Sly for starting? 6-2 327lb

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-06-2015, 02:07 PM
Anyone know much about DT Dan Williams, NT from AZ. Still in his 20s. He us considered a bargain DT in FA. Could he be a cheap NT in FA for depth? He could compete with Sly for starting? 6-2 327lb

He anchored AZ's defense. He is an excellent NT, probably top 5.

NightTerror218
03-06-2015, 05:14 PM
He anchored AZ's defense. He is an excellent NT, probably top 5.

Cheaper pot roast replacement then. Not a household name I take it.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
03-06-2015, 06:24 PM
Cheaper pot roast replacement then. Not a household name I take it.

Probably just because AZ doesn't get mucheck coverage. Coaches and players around the league know he's good.

Jaded
03-06-2015, 10:32 PM
Williams won't be much cheaper than Potroast and I think he ends up in Tennessee with Wiz, Horton and LeBeau. Just connecting the dots but there's a lot of dots to connect, hometown, went to Tenn and has history with Wiz and Horton.

DenBronx
03-06-2015, 10:38 PM
Ill be dissapointed if Pot Roast leaves.

Denver Native (Carol)
03-08-2015, 12:42 PM
Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold 59m

Not in terms of $, but in talking to folks around the league #Broncos G Orlando Franklin is going to get as much interest as Julius Thomas.