PDA

View Full Version : Kubiak press conference at combine

VonDoom
02-18-2015, 10:49 AM
From Twitter:

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 14m14 minutes ago

Kubiak, on whether Manning can roll out: "I think he can do anything he wants." Says Flacco ran maybe 25 bootlegs last year in BAL.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 13m13 minutes ago

Kubiak: "I took a lot of things" from a year in Baltimore. Adds that it was beneficial seeing Ozzie Newsome & Eric DeCosta run a draft.

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 13m13 minutes ago

Kubiak, on free agency: "I know we're going to do everything we can to hang on to our players ... we'd like to hang on to everybody."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 12m12 minutes ago

Kubiak says he's visited with Manning "quite often" in recent weeks, but no talk about football. Talks have been "very positive."

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 11m11 minutes ago

Kubkia "No doubt I want him to be (our quarteback). I feel good about where we are right now. It's just time."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 10m10 minutes ago

Kubiak: "A 4-3 team that plays an under front is no different than a team that plays a 3-4."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 9m9 minutes ago

Kubiak: 3-4 will be an "easy transition" because of the personnel, particularly Miller & Ware on the edges.

Kubiak: Rahim Moore "played very well" last year ... "he's a fine player" ... "we'd love to have him back."

Kubiak said he's spoken to every player on the team. He "had a good conversation with" Wes Welker. "We'd love to have him back."

Andrew Mason ‏@MaseDenver 7m7 minutes ago

Kubiak: "We've got some work to do," on the OL. Wants to get it settled after the shuffling of last year.

Michael Tanier ‏@MikeTanier 7m7 minutes ago Indianapolis, IN

Is Joe Flacco elite? Kubiak : "You bet he is." #ravens

Troy Renck ‏@TroyRenck 35s36 seconds ago

#broncos Gary Kubiak said Manning had two encouraging evaluations from trainers regarding his health in New Orleans and in Florida

tl;dr - Kubiak wants everyone back, thinks Manning will return and our defensive transition should be easy. Mostly coach speak. I did like the bit about watching Ozzie Newsome draft last year, because he is considering one of the best GM's in that regard, so anything he's learned should be a help.

TXBRONC
02-18-2015, 11:05 AM
I wonder if anyone asked him about using a fullback.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-18-2015, 12:24 PM
Head Coach Gary Kubiak addresses the media at the 2015 NFL Scouting Combine.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Kubiak-on-Manning-free-agency/d93cc4e8-9016-4549-b34f-c8e981a1906e

TXBRONC
02-18-2015, 12:43 PM
Head Coach Gary Kubiak addresses the media at the 2015 NFL Scouting Combine.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Kubiak-on-Manning-free-agency/d93cc4e8-9016-4549-b34f-c8e981a1906e

Thank you Carol.

VonDoom
02-18-2015, 01:19 PM
I wonder if anyone asked him about using a fullback.

Well, now that you mention it:

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 22m22 minutes ago

And Kubiak also said team will be on the hunt for somebody to play fullback -- "obviously I’ve had one on my team all the time.''

Denver Native (Carol)
02-18-2015, 01:51 PM

And Kubiak also said team will be on the hunt for somebody to play fullback -- "obviously I’ve had one on my team all the time.''

Some sports people in Denver have suggested that Juwan could fill that role

underrated29
02-18-2015, 01:58 PM
There is a 7th rdr in my sig who would be a nice cheap option

Magnificent Seven
02-18-2015, 03:03 PM

They should move Juwan Thompson to the fullback position. CJ Anderson + Juwan Thompson = Power Trip!

TXBRONC
02-18-2015, 04:02 PM

I figured he would want to add at least one fullback to the roster.

Valar Morghulis
02-18-2015, 04:07 PM
They should move Juwan Thompson to the fullback position. CJ Anderson + Juwan Thompson = Power Trip!

oh dear - that is a scary thought. DC's will be soiling themselves all over the league

TXBRONC
02-18-2015, 04:07 PM
Some sports people in Denver have suggested that Juwan could fill that role

He wouldn't be the first tailback to be converted to fullback and it would be far from a surprise if they do.

VonDoom
02-18-2015, 04:15 PM
He wouldn't be the first tailback to be converted to fullback and it wouldn't be far from a surprise if they do.

I agree. Juwan has already stated that his running style is (and I'm paraphrasing), "I like to hit people". So he seems like a pretty good choice to do just that.

TXBRONC
02-18-2015, 05:13 PM
I agree. Juwan has already stated that his running style is (and I'm paraphrasing), "I like to hit people". So he seems like a pretty good choice to do just that.

If Denver converts Thompson to fullback then I would expect the make up runningback won't change.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-18-2015, 05:18 PM
from an article dated 8-31-14, when Juwan was added to the 53 man roster:

Juwan Thompson's path to the Broncos' 53-man roster looked like the "American Ninja Warrior" course. He navigated all obstacles over the past four months, making the team Saturday and sharing "feel-good story of camp" honors with converted defensive lineman Ben Garland.

Thompson, who received $3,500 to join the Broncos, extended the franchise's streak to 11 consecutive seasons of a college free agent securing a spot, joining punt returner Isaiah Burse. Thompson, a Duke product, led the Broncos in the preseason with 143 yards rushing on 29 carries. At a sculpted 5-foot-11, 225 pounds, he can play fullback and excels on special teams after playing on coverage units and even starting a game at linebacker in college. He beat out former CSU star Kapri Bibbs, a practice squad possibility, and Brennan Clay.

"If there was an easy one to see, it was what Juwan did," Elway said.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26440883/juwan-thompson-ben-garland-make-broncos-53-man

silkamilkamonico
02-18-2015, 05:21 PM
Hopefully they will just stick to a true FB and keep Thompson in the backfield running the ball where he belongs.

CJ ANderson #1
Juwan Thompson #2

Denver Native (Carol)
02-18-2015, 06:01 PM
Andrew Mason @MaseDenver · 7h

Kubiak says that on game days, OC Rick Dennison will be upstairs. QB/pass-game coord. Greg Knapp will be on sideline, relaying the calls.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-18-2015, 06:06 PM
Andrew Mason @MaseDenver · 6h

Gary Kubiak said he told @cjandersonb22 that when offseason work begins, "You need to walk in there handling yourself like the starter."

dogfish
02-26-2015, 04:07 AM
Hopefully they will just stick to a true FB and keep Thompson in the backfield running the ball where he belongs.

CJ ANderson #1
Juwan Thompson #2

seriously. . . get a real fullback, and let juwan run behind him. . .

Rick
02-26-2015, 07:50 AM
seriously. . . get a real fullback, and let juwan run behind him. . .

I want Thompson to stay as a RB and actually get snaps as much as the next guy but it may end up being a numbers game. We need a spot for a FB now so they may not keep 4 RBs and possibly only way Thompson can stick is if he is moved to FB.

CJ and Ball are basically locks unless Ball has issues from his injuries from last year.

Has the team given up on Hillman? Could be between Hillman and Thompson.

TXBRONC
02-26-2015, 08:37 AM
I don't know how many running backs Kubiak kept on his active roster when he was the head coach of the Texans but I would guess it was no more than three. If Denver is going to bring in a true fullback then one of those running backs is going to get cut and I doubt it would be Hillman.

Simple Jaded
02-26-2015, 05:47 PM
I don't know how many running backs Kubiak kept on his active roster when he was the head coach of the Texans but I would guess it was no more than three. If Denver is going to bring in a true fullback then one of those running backs is going to get cut and I doubt it would be Hillman.

http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/archive/149/HOU

Nailed it TX, carried 3 RBs and a FB on his Sept roster 2013. He would later add a 4th and 5th but opening day rosters would seemingly give a better indication of priority imo. I doubt that means it's set in stone that they won't keep 4 tho.

Edit, btw Greg Knapp got a coordinator title? Chingao.

TXBRONC
02-27-2015, 12:55 PM
http://www.ourlads.com/nfldepthcharts/archive/149/HOU

Nailed it TX, carried 3 RBs and a FB on his Sept roster 2013. He would later add a 4th and 5th but opening day rosters would seemingly give a better indication of priority imo. I doubt that means it's set in stone that they won't keep 4 tho.

Edit, btw Greg Knapp got a coordinator title? Chingao.

If Denver is going carry a fullback on the roster I don't see how they can have more three running backs on the active roster without effecting the depth at another position.

NightTerror218
02-27-2015, 01:12 PM
We could carry 4 RB and 1FB....ST would be the only way. If Juwan is a standiht of ST he is a lock then. Hillman could be on bubble since he can't play ST.

Rick
02-27-2015, 01:13 PM
If Denver is going carry a fullback on the roster I don't see how they can have more three running backs on the active roster without effecting the depth at another position.

About the only way I can think is if 2 guys are cross breeds. Something like Green TE/FB and Thompson RB/FB and either would play FB depending on formation.

I like the idea of a guy like Casey at FB though that has been very effective as a pass catcher as well, but it does mean probably 3 RBs. I would hate the idea of a guy like Thomson being cut because of the numbers game I would just be surprised to see Hillman cut.

Ziggy
02-27-2015, 01:20 PM
About the only way I can think is if 2 guys are cross breeds. Something like Green TE/FB and Thompson RB/FB and either would play FB depending on formation.

I like the idea of a guy like Casey at FB though that has been very effective as a pass catcher as well, but it does mean probably 3 RBs. I would hate the idea of a guy like Thomson being cut because of the numbers game I would just be surprised to see Hillman cut.

If the Broncos sign Casey, it probably means keeping an extra back and carrying one less tight end since he plays that position as well. If Casey isn't the man for the job, I think they may still go that route. Denver is thin at TE and set pretty well at RB. Kubiak said that he's always carried a fullback, but he also said that he would adjust the offense to fit Manning. I don't see the FB playing full time. I'm guessing mostly goal line and short yardage situations. Carrying a TE/FB hybrid makes sense if he's going to go that route. Another option is a RB/FB hybrid like a Peyton Hillis type. I haven't seen any indication out of Dove Valley pointing towards a pure fullback being on the roster while Manning is here. Has anyone else?

TXBRONC
02-27-2015, 02:54 PM
If the Broncos sign Casey, it probably means keeping an extra back and carrying one less tight end since he plays that position as well. If Casey isn't the man for the job, I think they may still go that route. Denver is thin at TE and set pretty well at RB. Kubiak said that he's always carried a fullback, but he also said that he would adjust the offense to fit Manning. I don't see the FB playing full time. I'm guessing mostly goal line and short yardage situations. Carrying a TE/FB hybrid makes sense if he's going to go that route. Another option is a RB/FB hybrid like a Peyton Hillis type. I haven't seen any indication out of Dove Valley pointing towards a pure fullback being on the roster while Manning is here. Has anyone else?

I think there was a report just recently that said Denver was looking into getting a fullback.

nevcraw
03-01-2015, 03:54 PM
I think Thompson ends ups becoming the bell cow running back after a battle with CJ for the starting spot. but both have a nice chance to shine in the ZBS. Hillman - don't know if he is one cut runner type.

underrated29
03-01-2015, 04:12 PM
I think Thompson ends ups becoming the bell cow running back after a battle with CJ for the starting spot. but both have a nice chance to shine in the ZBS. Hillman - don't know if he is one cut runner type.

Ball is going to be the one who may do it. There is going to be a huge battle at rb between montee and cj

Simple Jaded
03-01-2015, 07:19 PM
All these RB's are going to fit nicely, imo, Hillman included. Anderson and Ball will carry the load mostly, I think, Ball might be a TD machine (of course, that's if the Broncos don't go back to those pathetic early 2000's Broncos ZBS OLineman).

TXBRONC
03-02-2015, 07:57 AM

It's possible that Thompson ends up becoming the bell cow but I don't see that happening unless C.J. get hurt or Thompson is light years better. I wouldn't write off Ball either. He has experience running in zone blocking scheme so I expect that if he's healthy he could end being stiff competition.

G_Money
03-02-2015, 07:11 PM
Just by numbers you would think you'd want Juwan to be the FB. Dude can pass-block, hits like a truck, has good hands in the receiving game and can carry the ball on short yardage. What else do you need?

That would make our 3 RBs CJ, Hillman and Ball, and Juwan gets to stay on the roster as a fullback. Since I expect at least one RB to go down at some point with injury, having Thompson around would be a good thing. He reminds me of Mike Anderson, and we needed him there for a bit too.

And if Juwan goes down, then switch to an H-back look - or stash a FB on the practice squad for that occasion if it really bothers you. It's not like we can't grab Tyler Varga from Yale or something as a UDFA and throw him on the PS. He should be smart enough to pick up a Manning offense.

TXBRONC
03-02-2015, 08:01 PM
Just by numbers you would think you'd want Juwan to be the FB. Dude can pass-block, hits like a truck, has good hands in the receiving game and can carry the ball on short yardage. What else do you need?

That would make our 3 RBs CJ, Hillman and Ball, and Juwan gets to stay on the roster as a fullback. Since I expect at least one RB to go down at some point with injury, having Thompson around would be a good thing. He reminds me of Mike Anderson, and we needed him there for a bit too.

And if Juwan goes down, then switch to an H-back look - or stash a FB on the practice squad for that occasion if it really bothers you. It's not like we can't grab Tyler Varga from Yale or something as a UDFA and throw him on the PS. He should be smart enough to pick up a Manning offense.

Denver didn't use him in the passing but a few times so we really know what kind of receiver he would be. He's fair sized for tailback but still not quite big enough for a fullback. He would have to add weight. IIRC one Anderson's biggest problems with being a fullback was his running ability suffered because of the extra weight he had to carry as fullback. Denver would be better off getting a real fullback instead of converting Thompson.

The upside is if Thompson were able to make a successful transition to fullback then Denver wouldn't have spend a lot time looking at a fullback to the roster.

Simple Jaded
03-02-2015, 09:12 PM
Charles Clay got the transition tag from Miami, fags!