PDA

View Full Version : Broncos' offensive line dance begins with prospects

Denver Native (Carol)
02-16-2015, 09:06 PM
With the opinions of Peyton Manning's future as a soundtrack, with critical free-agent decisions looming, the Broncos amble this week into the NFL combine in Indianapolis facing multiple issues.

Whether Manning returns or not, the Broncos can say goodbye to any chance of returning to their second Super Bowl in three seasons without a reconfigured offensive line.

Options are open to address the issue through the draft or free agency.

Keeping Manning upright, if as expected he returns, will be a top priority along with developing a dynamic running game. With Gary Kubiak's new coaching staff in place, the Broncos are beginning personnel evaluations. By any measurement, they need improvement on the offensive line, which could feature as many as three new starters this year. According to Pro Football Focus, the Baltimore Ravens, for whom Kubiak served as offensive coordinator last season, posted a 41.4 run-blocking score. The Broncos checked in at minus 4.1.

General manager John Elway provided a hint of potential moves last month.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27538807/broncos-offensive-line-dance-begins-prospects

Lancane
02-17-2015, 12:41 AM
Problem is the cap for Denver, too many holes can backfire big time. I expect Elway has some game plan to eliminate having too many needs walking into the draft, maybe not so much depth, after all the Broncos will have eight to ten draft picks.

silkamilkamonico
02-17-2015, 01:49 AM
Where does the dude Schofield fit into all this? He was a third round pick I believe?

Lancane
02-17-2015, 01:52 AM
Where does the dude Schofield fit into all this? He was a third round pick I believe?

According to Klis Denver still has high hopes for Schofield but they feel he may need another season to fully develop, as to whether they see him as a Right Tackle or inside at Guard is debatable.

Davii
02-17-2015, 03:02 AM
Problem is the cap for Denver, too many holes can backfire big time. I expect Elway has some game plan to eliminate having too many needs walking into the draft, maybe not so much depth, after all the Broncos will have eight to ten draft picks.

I've seen you mention our cap problems in a few threads but we're currently approximately 20 million under the cap. I think the worries about the cap are overblown at this time.

Lancane
02-17-2015, 04:04 PM
I've seen you mention our cap problems in a few threads but we're currently approximately 20 million under the cap. I think the worries about the cap are overblown at this time.

Davii with the expected jump to 142 million for the 2015 Denver with total rollover and space will have about 26.6 million per Spotrac, Overthecap has them at about .4 million less. I know that seems like a lot, they actually have more rollover then I originally believed by about 2 million. So let's say for argument sake that Denver has 26.6, the minute that Demaryius get's franchised tagged you have to subtract the 12.7 million which leaves 13.3 mil. Then let's say that Terrance Knighton get's inked for about 5 mil a season so then they have 8.3 million left. Denver is expected to ink most of their RFA as well and UFA's Montgomery and Green at least so then calculate another 4.5 million off the total at least so that leaves Denver with about 3.7 million, because they have eight to ten draft picks they have to leave some cushion because the Rookie Cap sometimes can not cover the total amount of picks, especially teams that have so many - I could probably tally the totals if you want me too. So right there Denver loses Moore, Franklin, Irving, Carter, Welker, Tamme, Unrein and J. Thomas. Denver could cut Colquitt, Ramirez, Clark and Caldwell for an additional 8 million I believe or near enough to. So Denver would have about 11.7 but I don't see them cutting Colquitt like Jaded does. Now Denver will have either 8 or 11.7 million a difference of about 3.7 million. If they do re-sign J. Thomas as they like, depending on what he's willing to take, then? See where I am going. Now if they let J. Thomas walk or can restructure Manning's contract or both they'll be in good shape, but neither is guaranteed to happen.

underrated29
02-17-2015, 04:54 PM
For the life of me I cannot see anyway Colquitt is on the roster this season. I actually will be rather upset if he is. The punter in my sig- can boot the ball 72 yards....He is a gamer for sure!

Manram better not come back and I do not see us having a big need for Caldwell with Kubes system. More Two TE and Two WR sets right?

DT, Manny, Lats, and Two TEs (starting- Virg and whoever) with backups from that flowers kid from last year and whoever else. I think its fine.

Lancane
02-17-2015, 05:15 PM
For the life of me I cannot see anyway Colquitt is on the roster this season. I actually will be rather upset if he is. The punter in my sig- can boot the ball 72 yards....He is a gamer for sure!

Manram better not come back and I do not see us having a big need for Caldwell with Kubes system. More Two TE and Two WR sets right?

DT, Manny, Lats, and Two TEs (starting- Virg and whoever) with backups from that flowers kid from last year and whoever else. I think its fine.

Do the Broncos always follow the logic of the fans?... I am fine either way, not that I think Colquitt is the greatest but then again I remember how Elway had an issue replacing a pretty damn good kicker this past year. And special teams is just as important, people tend to forget that at times...and they could bring in a kid or veteran that struggles to be even as proficient as Colquitt was.

As I said, 8 to 11.7 million and that is with needing safety depth, linebacker help, receiver depth, tight ends and at least three starting offensive lineman? If Elway re-signs J. Thomas? Then there goes another big chunk, so Denver can likely only sign one starter with the remaining amount in that scenario, two maybe three if Thomas walks. As I said, it's not as much as people think.

underrated29
02-17-2015, 06:13 PM
Colquitt has been bottom 8 or 10 the last two years...I just saw a stat on it.

We know JT is gone. DT will hopefully get a deal, if so and even at 11avg per year, I bet it is constructed so that only 8 or something hits this year and that leaves another 4 to play with. Someone posted a thread with everyone we have looked at in the draft so far. It is mainly filled with DE/OLBs/ILB, two later round S, one DT, 2 OTs and 1 C with 2nd ish potential, and 1 DT, 1 TE (walford) and 2 later CBs.....

Elway said he fills need through FA and Drafts for the Future. Sooo with that in mind it looks like S and TE are targets for FA for sure. Knighton seems to be a priority to keep and we know DT is.

If we have the 26.6 and cut colquitt like I think we do (manram too) that leaves us with 29.6ish mil. lose 12 to DT and 5 for TK, we have 12.6 leftover(and that is assuming we take the full brunt of the contracts immediately which I doubt we would- likely leaving us with more room).

But worse case that leaves us with 12.6 we can grab a TE for 3mil(easy), 9Mil left. Grab an OL (dont ask me who) for 3-5mil. Leaving us with 5Mil roughly for S and Rookies...I think we can nab some saftey on a rental for a year at less than 3mil.

One thing that concerns me is the S we have looked at both seem to be SS types and not FS types. Maybe they really expect Webster to do an awesome job and start. Im starting to think thats what they expect. IF so, S gets scratched from the FA and we get two OL?

Then draft (OL or OLB in rd 1, TE in rd 2 (we love Walford), and more OLB/DE in rd 3,4,5 and comps on more OL and S and CB....

Ive now gone cross eyed

Dapper Dan
02-17-2015, 06:20 PM

We know JT is gone. DT will hopefully get a deal, if so and even at 11avg per year, I bet it is constructed so that only 8 or something hits this year and that leaves another 4 to play with. Someone posted a thread with everyone we have looked at in the draft so far. It is mainly filled with DE/OLBs/ILB, two later round S, one DT, 2 OTs and 1 C with 2nd ish potential, and 1 DT, 1 TE (walford) and 2 later CBs.....

Elway said he fills need through FA and Drafts for the Future. Sooo with that in mind it looks like S and TE are targets for FA for sure. Knighton seems to be a priority to keep and we know DT is.

If we have the 26.6 and cut colquitt like I think we do (manram too) that leaves us with 29.6ish mil. lose 12 to DT and 5 for TK, we have 12.6 leftover(and that is assuming we take the full brunt of the contracts immediately which I doubt we would- likely leaving us with more room).

But worse case that leaves us with 12.6 we can grab a TE for 3mil(easy), 9Mil left. Grab an OL (dont ask me who) for 3-5mil. Leaving us with 5Mil roughly for S and Rookies...I think we can nab some saftey on a rental for a year at less than 3mil.

One thing that concerns me is the S we have looked at both seem to be SS types and not FS types. Maybe they really expect Webster to do an awesome job and start. Im starting to think thats what they expect. IF so, S gets scratched from the FA and we get two OL?

Then draft (OL or OLB in rd 1, TE in rd 2 (we love Walford), and more OLB/DE in rd 3,4,5 and comps on more OL and S and CB....

Ive now gone cross eyed

Most stats I saw had Colquitt in the bottom 15 or 20.

Lancane
02-17-2015, 06:54 PM

Ive now gone cross eyed

LMAO... Gives you headache doesn't it? :lol:

We know that Denver will tag D. Thomas this week, it's pretty much set in stone. So you take that 26.6 mil and eliminate that 12.7 tag price for him, before cuts or anything. Now let's say they cut Colquitt, Ramirez, Caldwell and Clark which is about 8 million so Denver will still have 20.7 million. Re-sign Knighton, Montgomery, Carter, Green, Johnson, Brewer, Marshall, Youboty and Cornick. Figuring a small jump in salaries for each then that is what about 10 million? So the Broncos would have about 10 mil to play with, so let's say they sign Newton, Daniels and Boling - Derek Newton made 1.4 million in 2014 he'll be looking for at lead Clark money so there is 3 million, Owen Daniels cleared a million last season so figure about the same with a small bonus so 1.3 and Clint Boling like Franklin will be looking at a fat new contract, so let's say another 5 mil. so the Broncos would have about a million left...ugh, of course if Manning restructures then Denver could be in great shape.

underrated29
02-17-2015, 06:59 PM
LMAO... Gives you headache doesn't it? :lol:

We know that Denver will tag D. Thomas this week, it's pretty much set in stone. So you take that 26.6 mil and eliminate that 12.7 tag price for him, before cuts or anything. Now let's say they cut Colquitt, Ramirez, Caldwell and Clark which is about 8 million so Denver will still have 20.7 million. Re-sign Knighton, Montgomery, Carter, Green, Johnson, Brewer, Marshall, Youboty and Cornick. Figuring a small jump in salaries for each then that is what about 10 million? So the Broncos would have about 10 mil to play with, so let's say they sign Newton, Daniels and Boling - Derek Newton made 1.4 million in 2014 he'll be looking for at lead Clark money so there is 3 million, Owen Daniels cleared a million last season so figure about the same with a small bonus so 1.3 and Clint Boling like Franklin will be looking at a fat new contract, so let's say another 5 mil. so the Broncos would have about a million left...ugh, of course if Manning restructures then Denver could be in great shape.

Hopefully he does. I am not sure I want Newton. Id be fine with Owen, but he is not my first choice. If Peyton and or Clady could both just free up 5 each, we could then add a guy like Clay and or Keep Franklin. I wish DT would just get a deal. If you tag a guy, can you still then work out a deal so he doesnt get the full rate of the tag?

in other words can we Tag DT, then agree to a deal with him, for shits and giggles at 7 mil salary this year? Thus, our hit would be 7 mil and not the 12.7 or whatever?

Lancane
02-17-2015, 07:16 PM
Hopefully he does. I am not sure I want Newton. Id be fine with Owen, but he is not my first choice. If Peyton and or Clady could both just free up 5 each, we could then add a guy like Clay and or Keep Franklin. I wish DT would just get a deal. If you tag a guy, can you still then work out a deal so he doesnt get the full rate of the tag?

in other words can we Tag DT, then agree to a deal with him, for shits and giggles at 7 mil salary this year? Thus, our hit would be 7 mil and not the 12.7 or whatever?

I expect Denver will tag Demaryius but not actually do much in the way of a contract right away, that is why I am sticking with the 12.7 as of right now. Depending on how much they save haggling and by asking some to restructure and who they re-sign and sign then I see them working out the long-term deal before the draft.

underrated29
02-17-2015, 08:17 PM
Most stats I saw had Colquitt in the bottom 15 or 20.

Which is still not very good for one of the highest paid punters...I'll try and find the stat I saw on him.

Dapper Dan
02-17-2015, 08:34 PM
Which is still not very good for one of the highest paid punters...I'll try and find the stat I saw on him.

Keep in mind where he was kicking from. You don't always want to kick it 72 yards.

underrated29
02-17-2015, 09:01 PM
Right. Pinning deep is something that is a must. He's been average at this. For a guy who is the top? Or top 3 paid kicker it needs to be better.