PDA

View Full Version : Athlon Sports: Elway is the best QB Ever

7DnBrnc53
02-15-2015, 03:54 PM
Athlon Sports used six categories to determine the best QB ever, with wonderful results:

http://athlonsports.com/nfl/john-elway-not-tom-brady-is-greatest-nfl-qb-all-time

DenBronx
02-15-2015, 04:15 PM
Thats interesting but they got Elways arm strength wrong. He arguably has the best arm of that group with Favre being the only other guy that could contest that. Dude had a cannon.

Northman
02-15-2015, 04:25 PM
I could of told them this 20 years ago. :)

OrangeHoof
02-15-2015, 04:35 PM
Yeah, I'm shocked they didn't give Elway the title on arm strength. The writer must have only seen the 90s Elway and not the 80s Elway. It should also be noted that Brady and Manning can continue to add to their counting stats and move up a little that way. I adore Elway but I still rate Brady and Montana as having accomplished more. I'm glad the author acknowledged that Elway generally did not have the talent around him that Brady and Montana had although Brady was winning Super Bowls with a rather rag tag bunch of receivers early in his career.

BroncoWave
02-15-2015, 05:04 PM
Yeah, I'm shocked they didn't give Elway the title on arm strength. The writer must have only seen the 90s Elway and not the 80s Elway. It should also be noted that Brady and Manning can continue to add to their counting stats and move up a little that way. I adore Elway but I still rate Brady and Montana as having accomplished more. I'm glad the author acknowledged that Elway generally did not have the talent around him that Brady and Montana had although Brady was winning Super Bowls with a rather rag tag bunch of receivers early in his career.

Even now it's not like the Pats are loaded with talent. Not a single pro bowler in their backfield or receiving corps. Brady makes that offense run, no matter who is in there.

dogfish
02-15-2015, 05:23 PM
Not a single pro bowler in their backfield or receiving corps.

so TEs aren't part of the receiving corps anymore?

Davii
02-15-2015, 05:52 PM
Even now it's not like the Pats are loaded with talent. Not a single pro bowler in their backfield or receiving corps. Brady makes that offense run, no matter who is in there.

Gronk would like a word. Also, that's a lot of the reason the WRs themselves aren't in the Pro Bowl, that exact thought process. You think Edelman didn't belong in the Pro Bowl?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-15-2015, 06:11 PM

The argument against their receiving corp. is overstated. They have the most dominant TE in football, and is arguably the biggest matchup nightmare of anyone in the NFL.

Shazam!
02-15-2015, 06:17 PM
Elway had the hardest throw of any QB I ever saw.

7DnBrnc53
02-15-2015, 06:35 PM
The argument against their receiving corp. is overstated. They have the most dominant TE in football, and is arguably the biggest matchup nightmare of anyone in the NFL.

Also, you can't overrate Brady and underrate the system. They went 11-5 with Matt Cassel.

That's why, in the comment section, I said that they should that they should name the supporting cast category Supporting cast-System instead. Brady didn't have overpowering WR's from 2001-06, but he did have 2 1,000 yard rushers (A. Smith and Dillon) his first four years as starter. Elway only had one (Winder, in 1984). Brady has also been in the right system that has hid his weaknesses, while Elway was in an antiquated running offense for his first 10 years in the league.

BroncoWave
02-15-2015, 06:54 PM
so TEs aren't part of the receiving corps anymore?

Shit, I forgot about Gronk. My bad. Still though, he has much less to work with on his offense, than, say, a Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers has.

slim
02-15-2015, 07:01 PM
Duh

Dapper Dan
02-15-2015, 07:08 PM
I always knew Athlon was the best.

gregbroncs
02-15-2015, 09:12 PM
I've always argued I'd take Elway over any other QB in history. I'm a little biased but I have no doubt that if Elway had played on those 49er teams he'd have as many if not more titles as Montana. I'll give Brady and Manning huge props but a lot of their stats are pumped by the changing landscape of the NFL.

OrangeHoof
02-16-2015, 12:22 AM

What about Gronk?

dogfish
02-16-2015, 12:23 AM
FTR, elway in his prime could have thrown a ball straight through brett fav-ruh. . .

Canmore
02-16-2015, 12:56 AM
FTR, elway in his prime could have thrown a ball straight through brett fav-ruh. . .

I've been thinking the same thing. The throws he could make...that no one else could duplicate.

G_Money
02-16-2015, 02:17 PM
The funniest thing about watching Griese and Plummer and Manning for years is that going back and watching the Broncos in their late-90s playoff runs makes you jump off your couch every time Elway throws the ball.

"Jesus!"
"Holy..."
"Is he trying to kill someone?"

You forget just how HARD he threw the ball, even with just one bicep tendon. Back in the 80s when he was throwing the ball 60 yards back across his body? Farve had a gun, and maybe one or two other guys might have had as strong an arm, but John was just launching cannon ball after cannon ball out there. Sometimes to his detriment, since firing that hard from 5 yards away was a good way to get an interception or incompletion... but it was something to watch.

John with Montana's 49ers wins at least that many Superbowls. Montana with Elway's team gets broken in half and probably never makes a Super Bowl. John carried those woefully undermanned Broncos offenses into title game after title game.

On the All-Time list, there are a lot of great arguments for Elway being #1. But I don't need him to be #1 on some theoretical list to know just how great he was. Greatness speaks for itself. :salute:

NightTrainLayne
02-16-2015, 02:25 PM
The funniest thing about watching Griese and Plummer and Manning for years is that going back and watching the Broncos in their late-90s playoff runs makes you jump off your couch every time Elway throws the ball.

"Jesus!"
"Holy..."

You forget just how HARD he threw the ball, even with just one bicep tendon. Back in the 80s when he was throwing the ball 60 yards back across his body? Farve had a gun, and maybe one or two other guys might have had as strong an arm, but John was just launching cannon ball after cannon ball out there. Sometimes to his detriment, since firing that hard from 5 yards away was a good way to get an interception or incompletion... but it was something to watch.

John with Montana's 49ers wins at least that many Superbowls. Montana with Elway's team gets broken in half and probably never makes a Super Bowl. John carried those woefully undermanned Broncos offenses into title game after title game.

On the All-Time list, there are a lot of great arguments for Elway being #1. But I don't need him to be #1 on some theoretical list to know just how great he was. Greatness speaks for itself. :salute:

I always love listening to Mark Jackson talk about catching that ball in the end-zone to cap off, "The Drive". He talks about how big Elway's eyes got (you can see it yourself in the endzone camera angle), and how he fired that ball in there so hard.

I can't imagine having to go all season long through practice and games catching those fireballs. I'd love to know the count on how many fingers he dislocated over the years. :D

Jsteve01
02-16-2015, 02:34 PM

"Jesus!"
"Holy..."

I always love listening to Mark Jackson talk about catching that ball in the end-zone to cap off, "The Drive". He talks about how big Elway's eyes got (you can see it yourself in the endzone camera angle), and how he fired that ball in there so hard.

I can't imagine having to go all season long through practice and games catching those fireballs. I'd love to know the count on how many fingers he dislocated over the years. :D. I've met Vance and Mark. Mark actually played in a flag league with me a loooong time ago. Both their hands were gnarled. On a side note. Mark is the coolest most down to earth guy I've ever met. Vance? Well let's just say he's not.

TXBRONC
02-16-2015, 03:30 PM
Thats interesting but they got Elways arm strength wrong. He arguably has the best arm of that group with Favre being the only other guy that could contest that. Dude had a cannon.

Elway in his prime could throw the ball 80 yards.

Simple Jaded
02-16-2015, 04:06 PM
Elway never wore ugs and had a beard.

Northman
02-16-2015, 05:36 PM
Elway could throw over dem thar mountains.

TXBRONC
02-16-2015, 07:26 PM
Elway never wore ugs and had a beard.

If he had he would have rocked the shit out of it.

Simple Jaded
02-16-2015, 08:45 PM
If he had he would have rocked the shit out of it.

Elway has no need for a beard.

sneakers
02-17-2015, 04:41 AM
Athlon Sports used six categories to determine the best QB ever, with wonderful results:

http://athlonsports.com/nfl/john-elway-not-tom-brady-is-greatest-nfl-qb-all-time

well duh

TXBRONC
02-17-2015, 08:01 AM
Elway has no need for a beard.

It's not a matter of need it's a matter of want.

7DnBrnc53
02-19-2015, 01:33 AM
Here's another list that has Elway 4th:

https://dubsism.wordpress.com/2012/02/21/you-can-stop-the-debate-heres-the-quintessential-dubsism-list-of-the-30-greatest-quarterbacks/

I agree with him about Brady, although Manning should be higher, Unitas, Elway, and Montana should move up, and Otto Graham should move back.