PDA

View Full Version : Wes Welker weighs walking away

Lancane
02-10-2015, 08:59 PM
the Broncos receiver who’s set to become a free agent next month, has told friends and family members that he might retire

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/10/wes-welker-weighs-walking-away/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000469878/article/wes-welker-reportedly-contemplating-retirement

If so, God Speed and Good Luck! :beer:

Dapper Dan
02-10-2015, 09:16 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/02/10/wes-welker-weighs-walking-away/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000469878/article/wes-welker-reportedly-contemplating-retirement

If so, God Speed and Good Luck! :beer:

I get worried everytime i see him on the field. It has to be much worse on his family.

VonDoom
02-10-2015, 09:17 PM
Probably the right call. He's got nothing left to prove in the NFL

Lancane
02-10-2015, 09:28 PM
I get worried everytime i see him on the field. It has to be much worse on his family.

Watching him was a lot like watching McCaffrey in some ways, but I admit I cringed more for Welker because the number of concussions. Let's hope he has no permanent damage, watching retired players struggle with so many ailments and with so little help is just horrible.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-10-2015, 10:10 PM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 2h

Wes Welker reportedly considering retirement. But only if teams don't come calling. He told me he wants to play two more years. #Broncos

Dapper Dan
02-10-2015, 10:11 PM

Wes Welker reportedly considering retirement. But only if teams don't come calling. He told me he wants to play two more years. #Broncos

Wow. I hope his head is okay.

Northman
02-10-2015, 10:15 PM

Im not sure he really has anything left. He was pretty ineffective this year for us.

Rick
02-10-2015, 10:26 PM
Being able to walk away should be his main concern.

underrated29
02-10-2015, 11:28 PM
I would like him back. He was/is still getting open. We just didn't work him like we did last year.....we didn't really work the middle of the field much at all last year.

If he would give it a go for a couple mil I'd def take him back.

CrazyHorse
02-11-2015, 01:26 AM
With his concussion history he probably should retire. If he really wants to play I wouldn't mind seeing him back as our 4th receiver with a paycut. We need to get Latimore involved though.

Lancane
02-11-2015, 05:03 AM
With his concussion history he probably should retire. If he really wants to play I wouldn't mind seeing him back as our 4th receiver with a paycut. We need to get Latimore involved though.

I agree with the first part, he needs to walk away while he can. I expect Denver to cut Andre Caldwell, that leaves Latimer, Sanders and Thomas as the returning receivers from the active roster. Jordan Norwood, Isiah Burse and Nathan Palmer will return to camp among a few others. Denver could go either way, we need depth. But Welker will likely want more then they're willing to pay and I think there is a legitimate health concern. Not to mention that this is a very deep wide receiver class coming out in the draft and Denver is expected to have eight to ten picks.

BroncoWave
02-11-2015, 08:21 AM
With all the info out about CTE now, it blows my mind that he would want to keep playing with all these concussions. Is the extra million or two he might earn by playing another year really worth the years extra concussions could take off his life?

Bronco9798
02-11-2015, 08:29 AM
See you,.won't be missed. Could of brought Stokley out of retirement at his age and done better than Welker.

Dapper Dan
02-11-2015, 08:49 AM
See you,.won't be missed. Could of brought Stokley out of retirement at his age and done better than Welker.

Is this a serious post?

Bronco9798
02-11-2015, 09:17 AM
Is this a serious post?

No, it means Welker really sucked last year.

OB
02-11-2015, 09:36 AM
So then he sues the NFL in 20 years for CTE issues - come on - Now ALL players now the consequences - if they choose to continue playing any future injury lies squarely on them

Lancane
02-11-2015, 11:05 AM
So then he sues the NFL in 20 years for CTE issues - come on - Now ALL players now the consequences - if they choose to continue playing any future injury lies squarely on them

The NFL gets sued mainly because the post-football medical care is horrendous, the NFLPA has tried to place and more and more regarding this each new CBA, but the NFL Owners have continually fought against it, forgetting it's those same said players that helped keep them fat and rich.

Ravage!!!
02-11-2015, 11:18 AM

I t hink the settlement from the NFL settled that no NFL player in the future could sue for the same issues.

Ravage!!!
02-11-2015, 11:19 AM
Wes needs to retire. It's time. He's not the player he was, and his head is taking a beating. Hang it up while you can still tie your own shoes.

BroncoWave
02-11-2015, 11:21 AM
I t hink the settlement from the NFL settled that no NFL player in the future could sue for the same issues.

Which I think is fair. The older players definitely weren't fully aware of all the long term health risks, but the players today certainly are. Welker has no one to blame but himself at this point if he keeps playing and keeps getting concussions.

weazel
02-11-2015, 11:25 AM
he'd be stupid to keep playing. He had a good career, get out now and enjoy a long, healthy retirement.

BroncoWave
02-11-2015, 11:29 AM
he'd be stupid to keep playing. He had a good career, get out now and enjoy a long, healthy retirement.

At this point his chances of a long, healthy retirement might already be out the window. He really should have stopped years ago.

Buff
02-11-2015, 11:37 AM
At this point his chances of a long, healthy retirement might already be out the window. He really should have stopped years ago.

We know nothing about CTE at the end of the day. We know that we should avoid brain trauma, but beyond that, do you have some definitive evidence that someone is worse off from having 15 concussions vs 10? Do you know the correlation between frequency and acceleration of the onset?

Of course the answer is no. So I frankly don't understand why people become so self righteous on this topic. Maybe $4 million extra would actually improve his quality of life more than having 1 more year to live on the back end.

BroncoWave
02-11-2015, 11:42 AM
We know nothing about CTE at the end of the day. We know that we should avoid brain trauma, but beyond that, do you have some definitive evidence that someone is worse off from having 15 concussions vs 10? Do you know the correlation between frequency and acceleration of the onset?

Of course the answer is no. So I frankly don't understand why people become so self righteous on this topic. Maybe $4 million extra would actually improve his quality of life more than having 1 more year to live on the back end.

I mean if he wants to keep bashing his head in for more money then more power to him, I'm just of the opinion that it's a bad idea. Maybe there is no difference between 10 concussions and 15, but those extra five sure can't help.

weazel
02-11-2015, 12:04 PM
I mean if he wants to keep bashing his head in for more money then more power to him, I'm just of the opinion that it's a bad idea. Maybe there is no difference between 10 concussions and 15, but those extra five sure can't help.

and I guarantee those extra five don't feel so good. I would rather take it easy on a beach than have constant headaches and have to sit in a dark room

Lancane
02-11-2015, 12:37 PM
I watched Real Sports the other day and they were looking at the 85' Bears, go look how many of them are suffering it's abhorrent what they're suffering and sadly they come clean about the drugs and pain meds to continue playing...but the sport is not worth another life. My son wants to play and I won't let him...not until he is in High School.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-11-2015, 01:50 PM
I watched Real Sports the other day and they were looking at the 85' Bears, go look how many of them are suffering it's abhorrent what they're suffering and sadly they come clean about the drugs and pain meds to continue playing...but the sport is not worth another life. My son wants to play and I won't let him...not until he is in High School.

My 17 year old had to quit playing last year due to concussions. He's an exceptional athlete, but it's not worth it.

My 8 year old wants to play, and I keep telling him no. I might cave and at least let him play a couple of years of flag optimist

Lancane
02-11-2015, 02:11 PM
My 17 year old had to quit playing last year due to concussions. He's an exceptional athlete, but it's not worth it.

My 8 year old wants to play, and I keep telling him no. I might cave and at least let him play a couple of years of flag optimist

All I know is that I played for a decade and a half, never playing pro and since then I've had rotator cuff surgery, triple knee surgery, have had three surgeries fusing discs in my neck and facial reconstruction surgery for a busted jaw not to mention have cracked and fractured all my ribs at one time or another and had a few concussions. I have to take pain meds to get up and then pain meds to go to sleep and now have according to my surgeon and physician developed degenerative bone disease.

Recently I got a tattoo of the Frankenstein Monster on my arm and I was asked why? I said because he and I are the same!

No, my son will not play until he is fully aware and can comprehend the choice he is making.

Bronco9798
02-11-2015, 02:32 PM
All I know is that I played for a decade and a half, never playing pro and since then I've had rotator cuff surgery, triple knee surgery, have had three surgeries fusing discs in my neck and facial reconstruction surgery for a busted jaw not to mention have cracked and fractured all my ribs at one time or another and had a few concussions. I have to take pain meds to get up and then pain meds to go to sleep and now have according to my surgeon and physician developed degenerative bone disease.

Recently I got a tattoo of the Frankenstein Monster on my arm and I was asked why? I said because he and I are the same!

No, my son will not play until he is fully aware and can comprehend the choice he is making.

I'm recovering from Rotator cuff surgery right now and am having surgery on the left one one here soon. I've been going around with 2 torn rotator cuffs for the last several years. Also had left shoulder surgery on 2002 to repair te AC joint, and have C5,6,7 fused.

Lancane
02-11-2015, 02:44 PM
I'm recovering from Rotator cuff surgery right now and am having surgery on the left one one here soon. I've been going around with 2 torn rotator cuffs for the last several years. Also had left shoulder surgery on 2002 to repair te AC joint, and have C5,6,7 fused.

Damn you sound as beat up as me... Yours from sports or other? I only had the one cuff - my left though the scar tissue is extensive, how long have yours been torn? Same discs as me give also my C4 as well. My first surgery was my left knee, but they've had to go in for this or that two more times since the initial procedure. Just had my last jaw reconstruction at the end of December.

What do they have you on for pain and inflammation?

GEM
02-11-2015, 02:52 PM

Then that's on him and he shouldn't sue anyone later for making that choice. :shrugs:

Bronco9798
02-11-2015, 02:53 PM
Damn you sound as beat up as me... Yours from sports or other? I only had the one cuff - my left though the scar tissue is extensive, how long have yours been torn? Same discs as me give also my C4 as well. My first surgery was my left knee, but they've had to go in for this or that two more times since the initial procedure. Just had my last jaw reconstruction at the end of December.

I had my first cuff surgery October 24th. I'm still doing rehab stuff. Getting the left one done, probably September. I'm just doing therapy and I've been on the pain meds of course. I had the AC joint repaired and two bones shaved in 2002. I did my neck in 2011. I have two titanium plates and 4 screws in my neck. Mine goes to sports, weight lifting, and add in age. I basically started breaking down from wear and tear from my younger days. Getting old is rough when you live an active younger life. I also have AFIB which is a heart condition. I had a 6 hour heart surgery in 2012 to hopefully resolve it. They go into your heart through your groin area and burn electrodes off your heart to keep your heart in rhythm. So far it's working. I'm in great shape besides all that. lol.. Diet Mountain dew and stress from a divorce was my cause of the AFIB. Seriously.........I oveloaded my heart with caffeine and stress. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Ravage!!!
02-11-2015, 03:12 PM

Don't let people tell him "go play soccer" instead. They are finding that the headballs in soccer are just as traumatic as football. They take more headshots than football players.

Lancane
02-11-2015, 03:16 PM
I had my first cuff surgery October 24th. I'm still doing rehab stuff. Getting the left one done, probably September. I'm just doing therapy and I've been on the pain meds of course. I had the AC joint repaired and two bones shaved in 2002. I did my neck in 2011. I have two titanium plates and 4 screws in my neck. Mine goes to sports, weight lifting, and add in age. I basically started breaking down from wear and tear from my younger days. Getting old is rough when you live an active younger life. I also have AFIB which is a heart condition. I had a 6 hour heart surgery in 2012 to hopefully resolve it. They go into your heart through your groin area and burn electrodes off your heart to keep your heart in rhythm. So far it's working. I'm in great shape besides all that. lol.. Diet Mountain dew and stress from a divorce was my cause of the AFIB. Seriously.........I oveloaded my heart with caffeine and stress. Sucks, but it is what it is.

Yeah, we think we indestructible as youths, especially young dumb boys...lol. However when we get older and have to pay for it all - it is downright painful. Sorry to hear about the AFIB bro, that just sucks period, never had to endure that. I still do light weightlifting and cardio, but nothing extensive as I use to, but sometimes the pain is too much and can not finish for the life of me.

BroncoWave
02-11-2015, 03:18 PM
Don't let people tell him "go play soccer" instead. They are finding that the headballs in soccer are just as traumatic as football. They take more headshots than football players.

I believe that. It hurts like hell to head a soccer ball if it's not something you're used to doing. I'd imagine that definitely takes its toll on your head.

Lancane
02-11-2015, 03:19 PM

He's pretty pissed at me, he wants to play so bad. I told him he could do Tennis, Golf, Racquet Ball, etc. but no Hockey, Soccer, Rugby, Lacrosse or Football.

Bronco9798
02-11-2015, 03:20 PM
Yeah, we think we indestructible as youths, especially young dumb boys...lol. However when we get older and have to pay for it all - it is downright painful. Sorry to hear about the AFIB bro, that just sucks period, never had to endure that. I still do light weightlifting and cardio, but nothing extensive as I use to, but sometimes the pain is too much and can not finish for the life of me.

I know I'm off topic here. Gem is probably lurking...Hi!!! The AFib is good. No episodes since the surgery. If it comes back, you go do the surgery again and burn them off again. It's liveable. I still do cardio and lift light weights. I'm still in shape. Life is good man!! I make the most of it!!!

Dapper Dan
02-11-2015, 04:00 PM
Headballs. Haha.

Ravage!!!
02-11-2015, 06:29 PM
He's pretty pissed at me, he wants to play so bad. I told him he could do Tennis, Golf, Racquet Ball, etc. but no Hockey, Soccer, Rugby, Lacrosse or Football.

ugh.. I'd be pretty pissed at you too.

OrangeHoof
02-11-2015, 07:05 PM
Wes Welker weighs walking away (http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/596584-Wes-Welker-weighs-walking-away)
Elmer Fudd, headline writer.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-12-2015, 12:16 AM
Wes Welker weighs walking away (http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/596584-Wes-Welker-weighs-walking-away)
Elmer Fudd, headline writer.

:laugh:

sneakers
02-13-2015, 07:25 AM
probably better if he did retire

Bosco
02-13-2015, 09:54 AM
I'd like to see Welker come back on an incentive laden one year deal. He was hanged up last year but he probably still has something in the tank.

underrated29
02-13-2015, 10:26 AM
They are not allowed to hit in hockey until they are like 14 years old or something.

Ravage!!!
02-13-2015, 11:05 AM
They are not allowed to hit in hockey until they are like 14 years old or something.

would be hard to play football that way, though.

weazel
02-13-2015, 11:24 AM

it's different in each province and has changed over time. Was 10 when I played, when my son played it was 12.

Lancane
02-13-2015, 04:09 PM
ugh.. I'd be pretty pissed at you too.

I'm sure you would Rav, but fact of the matter is that we've seen a rise in medical issues in regards to young athletes, if he truly loves the game he'll learn the X's and O's, be a student of the game while physically improving his cardio and physique via the less physical route and then play the game in High School.

underrated29
02-13-2015, 07:47 PM
would be hard to play football that way, though.

Yep, I have my son playing flag. He wants to get into hockey this year.

underrated29
02-13-2015, 07:49 PM
it's different in each province and has changed over time. Was 10 when I played, when my son played it was 12.

But you are all crazy Canadians.

Don't know what it is now. A guy on my team has a 15 year old and I am pretty sure he was allowed to check just last year at 14, but I don't know for sure.

Valar Morghulis
02-13-2015, 08:33 PM
I believe that. It hurts like hell to head a soccer ball if it's not something you're used to doing. I'd imagine that definitely takes its toll on your head.

I cant decide if this is serious or not.

I am going to go with no - on account of the world wide popularity of soccer and the 100 year history or the game and 0% of players - professional or amateur that spend their lives heading the ball and DO NOT have a CTE

Dapper Dan
02-13-2015, 08:35 PM

I am going to go with no - on account of the world wide popularity of soccer and the 100 year history or the game and 0% of players - professional or amateur that spend their lives heading the ball and DO NOT have a CTE

That chick in your avatar. I like her boobs.

Valar Morghulis
02-13-2015, 08:37 PM
That chick in your avatar. I like her boobs.

me too

Jsteve01
02-13-2015, 09:01 PM

I had my first cuff surgery October 24th. I'm still doing rehab stuff. Getting the left one done, probably September. I'm just doing therapy and I've been on the pain meds of course. I had the AC joint repaired and two bones shaved in 2002. I did my neck in 2011. I have two titanium plates and 4 screws in my neck. Mine goes to sports, weight lifting, and add in age. I basically started breaking down from wear and tear from my younger days. Getting old is rough when you live an active younger life. I also have AFIB which is a heart condition. I had a 6 hour heart surgery in 2012 to hopefully resolve it. They go into your heart through your groin area and burn electrodes off your heart to keep your heart in rhythm. So far it's working. I'm in great shape besides all that. lol.. Diet Mountain dew and stress from a divorce was my cause of the AFIB. Seriously.........I oveloaded my heart with caffeine and stress. Sucks, but it is what it is. that afib surgery changed my brother's life he went from being a very good athlete to fear of overexerting and blacking out. It's given a new lease on life and allowed him to get back into muay Thai fighting. Im literally the only person in my immediate family who hasn't ended up in the hospital due to afib. The surgery has done wonders for my brother and grandad

Bronco9798
02-13-2015, 09:07 PM
that afib surgery changed my brother's life he went from being a very good athlete to fear of overexerting and blacking out. It's given a new lease on life and allowed him to get back into muay Thai fighting. Im literally the only person in my immediate family who hasn't ended up in the hospital due to afib. The surgery has done wonders for my brother and grandad

That's awesome and good to hear. Good for them. I've gone two years with no problems so far. AFIB sucks.

Ravage!!!
02-14-2015, 11:22 AM

This is 100% WRONG.

Valar Morghulis
02-14-2015, 12:20 PM
this is 100% wrong.

ok ;)

MOtorboat
02-15-2015, 03:21 AM
Don't buy the soccer concussion stuff. The extremely few cases of CTE and soccer all come with the caveat of collisions.

And how many non-athletes are tested for CTE after death? Do we have baseline averages? I doubt it.

Collisions to the head can't be good, but I don't think anyone has a clue the exact risks, if there are any. Especially heading a soccer ball. I just don't buy that.

Simple Jaded
02-15-2015, 03:54 AM
Had my right cuff done in January, shaved type III acromium and had bicep tendon cleaned, which is 80% schredded, Dr said its gonna pop any time now. Left shoulder has same problem. This after I Chris Kupered my left ankle in 2011, four surgeries later and the surgeon said the only thing left to do is fuse it.

I can't even bowl anymore and the pain meds constipate me (although I can't wipe left handed anyway)

olathebroncofan
02-15-2015, 04:46 AM
Had my right cuff done in January, shaved type III acromium and had bicep tendon cleaned, which is 80% schredded, Dr said its gonna pop any time now. Left shoulder has same problem. This after I Chris Kupered my left ankle in 2011, four surgeries later and the surgeon said the only thing left to do is fuse it.

I can't even bowl anymore and the pain meds constipate me (although I can't wipe left handed anyway)

If your bicep tendon is going to go soon, why wait to get it fixed? That's crazy all the stuff you have been through. How old are you?

Dapper Dan
02-15-2015, 02:31 PM
I played football last weekend and I feel like I pulled my right butt cheek muscle.

OrangeHoof
02-15-2015, 04:45 PM

Geez. No wonder you act like a jerk sometimes. Hard to live like that.

I know these players love the game but there's a point where the body says "get out" and Welker is past his expiration date for that.

TXBRONC
02-15-2015, 08:14 PM
He's probably at point where the risk is to high.

Simple Jaded
02-16-2015, 03:29 PM
If your bicep tendon is going to go soon, why wait to get it fixed? That's crazy all the stuff you have been through. How old are you?

44, good question, we didn't know about the bicep until they went in and he cleaned it up and closed me up before he told us about it. I have been back for post-op with his physicians assistant but haven't got an answer, my wife is a nurse and her guess is it probably needs a cadaver tendon, apparently theres not much left.

This is what you young folk have to look forward to.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-16-2015, 05:48 PM
Contrary to a report last week, Broncos receiver Wes Welker is not mulling retirement.

Welker, who ranks 20th all time among receivers with 890 career catches, said Monday he intends to play on.

"Just getting ready for 2015," Welker told The Denver Post via text.

FoxSports.com cited sources in its report on Feb. 10 that Welker was considering retirement.

"Never ever came out of my mouth," Welker said.

Where Welker plays is uncertain. He becomes an unrestricted free agent on March 10. It's not out of the question that Welker could re-sign with the Broncos if the team doesn't believe Cody Latimer, a second-round draft pick last year, is ready for full-time duty.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27537861/wes-welker-plans-play-2015

DenBronx
02-16-2015, 05:57 PM
Yeah saw that report. From the horses mouth and he's planning on coming back.

Everyone needs to take a paycut. Lets go ALL IN one more time.

TXBRONC
02-16-2015, 06:12 PM

Not at the expense of the future.

Lancane
02-16-2015, 06:26 PM
Not at the expense of the future.

Amen to that brother.

VonDoom
02-16-2015, 07:02 PM

He might play two more years but it's probably not going to be for us

Bronco9798
02-18-2015, 08:08 AM
I think he needs to move no. I'm not into paying him more money for lousy production and the possibilities of more concussions.

TXBRONC
02-18-2015, 08:30 AM
I think he needs to move no. I'm not into paying him more money for lousy production and the possibilities of more concussions.

You pay his salary? :D

Bronco9798
02-18-2015, 08:37 AM
You pay his salary? :D

lol...meaning the Broncos!!

tripp
02-18-2015, 04:15 PM
I think there are more dynamic and hungrier slot receivers out there that are cheaper than Welker.

Valar Morghulis
02-18-2015, 04:21 PM
I think there are more dynamic and hungrier slot receivers out there that are cheaper than Welker.

i think wes comes back for no more than 2 mil a year. Possibly on a one year deal, maybe two.

I think the dude likes football, i think he likes Denver and i think he realises Denver still gives him another shot at a ring, not other contender would likely take him

BroncoWave
02-18-2015, 05:08 PM
I wouldn't bring him back for much more than the vet minimum to be honest. He's just not that good anymore.

Buff
02-18-2015, 06:35 PM
I wouldn't bring him back for much more than the vet minimum to be honest. He's just not that good anymore.

I wouldn't bring him back period. He can't help on special teams, and he can't play outside, so he's just a slot specialist who doesn't create the matchup problems that he once did. He's had a great career, but I don't see what team is going to take a shot at him if Denver and New England don't sign him.

BroncoWave
02-18-2015, 06:39 PM
I wouldn't bring him back period. He can't help on special teams, and he can't play outside, so he's just a slot specialist who doesn't create the matchup problems that he once did. He's had a great career, but I don't see what team is going to take a shot at him if Denver and New England don't sign him.

Yeah, that's a good point about his lack of versatility. Hopefully Latimer is actually a good player so we can be set at WR and not have to worry about filling a hole there.

Valar Morghulis
02-19-2015, 01:16 AM
Yeah, that's a good point about his lack of versatility. Hopefully Latimer is actually a good player so we can be set at WR and not have to worry about filling a hole there.

I see us letting DT walk in FA next year because Latimer out plays him this year.

BroncoWave
02-19-2015, 08:26 AM
I see us letting DT walk in FA next year because Latimer out plays him this year.

That would be pretty shocking since DT is a top 5 WR, but it wouldn't be the worst problem to have.

TXBRONC
02-19-2015, 09:03 AM

I doubt a receiver who played sparingly is going play well enough to displace a top five receiver.

Dapper Dan
02-19-2015, 09:54 AM
At one time DT was a WR who played sparingly.

Buff
02-19-2015, 10:38 AM

I think it's more likely that the earth is struck by a meteorite and humanity is wiped from the face of the earth this offseason.

Dapper Dan
02-19-2015, 10:54 AM
I think it's more likely that the earth is struck by a meteorite and humanity is wiped from the face of the earth this offseason.

Probable. Thanks, Obama.

BroncoWave
02-19-2015, 12:00 PM

He was also a first round pick.

TXBRONC
02-19-2015, 12:08 PM

He missed a lot of time because of injury.

Dapper Dan
02-19-2015, 12:08 PM

And Latimer is a second. Why so much stock in where a guy was drafted?

Lancane
02-19-2015, 12:21 PM

He nearly dropped into the second, let's not delude ourselves...him and Bryant both nearly found themselves looking to go atop the second round. Not that they're not first round talents, it was more character, healthy and system issues but fact is that I hold little weight in where a receiver is picked in today's NFL. Sanders was a 3rd round pick, Marshall a 4th, Decker a 4th, Brown a 6th, Nelson a 2nd, Cobb a 2nd, Hilton a 3rd...and I could go on.

BroncoWave
02-19-2015, 12:40 PM
And Latimer is a second. Why so much stock in where a guy was drafted?

DT was a much more highly thought of prospect than Latimer. And as others said, he was only on the bench early on because of injury.

BroncoWave
02-19-2015, 12:42 PM
He nearly dropped into the second, let's not delude ourselves...him and Bryant both nearly found themselves looking to go atop the second round. Not that they're not first round talents, it was more character, healthy and system issues but fact is that I hold little weight in where a receiver is picked in today's NFL. Sanders was a 3rd round pick, Marshall a 4th, Decker a 4th, Brown a 6th, Nelson a 2nd, Cobb a 2nd, Hilton a 3rd...and I could go on.

You're missing my point. I'm saying that it's no surprise that he went from sitting on the bench to being elite due to being such a highly touted prospect. Just because Latimer also sat on the bench for a yearly doesn't make him destined to be great as well, especially being a lesser prospect than DT.

BroncoWave
02-19-2015, 12:44 PM
With how many rookies kill it as WRs as of late and how Latimer couldn't even play over Welker, forgive me if I'm not racing to call him a future top 5 guy.

VonDoom
02-19-2015, 01:48 PM
Since this topic came up, I just saw this on Brandon Spano's website, written by Benjamin Allbright:

Consensus opinion here in Denver, where I live and work in the media, seems to be to let Moore, Knighton and Julius Thomas walk, and re-sign Demaryius Thomas to a top-five wide receiver contract.

I disagree.

Building your team by investing your money in the wide receiver position isn’t historically intelligent. Pass rushers, pass protectors and passers are the money positions.

Of the 25 most highly paid wide receivers in the league last year, only nine made the playoffs. Of those eight, only Nelson, Wayne and Amendola were on teams that won even one playoff game.

Danny Amendola was the only wide receiver in the top 25 highest paid wide receivers that went to the Super Bowl.

Danny Amendola…and he was tied as the 25th largest cap hit.

He also suggests that Latimer would fill that role and that we could use the money that we would have spent on DT elsewhere, especially if we're gravitating towards a run-heavy, ZBS offense. Not likely to happen and would cause outrage, I'm sure, but I thought it was fitting in this thread.

The rest: http://bsndenver.com/broncos-should-let-demaryius-thomas-walk-away/

Dapper Dan
02-19-2015, 02:15 PM
With how many rookies kill it as WRs as of late and how Latimer couldn't even play over Welker, forgive me if I'm not racing to call him a future top 5 guy.

You don't have to get snippy

BroncoWave
02-19-2015, 02:18 PM
You don't have to get snippy

Just giving my opinion man.

Valar Morghulis
02-19-2015, 02:58 PM
I think we franchise DT this year. I think Manning also comes back and we win the big one. Manning walks away regular season and super bowl mvp. Lattimer has a break out year.

DT wants about 15 million next year for the next 5 years - instead Denver moves to rebuild, save 20 million from Manning and 15 from DT. Hello scary O-line, secure Von and CJ to big deals instead welcome in the Brock era all the while benefiting from latimer's cheap rookie deal.

TXBRONC
02-19-2015, 03:00 PM
Since this topic came up, I just saw this on Brandon Spano's website, written by Benjamin Allbright:

He also suggests that Latimer would fill that role and that we could use the money that we would have spent on DT elsewhere, especially if we're gravitating towards a run-heavy, ZBS offense. Not likely to happen and would cause outrage, I'm sure, but I thought it was fitting in this thread.

The rest: http://bsndenver.com/broncos-should-let-demaryius-thomas-walk-away/

There is no way this guy can know what Latimer can or cannot do. Latimer played a little on special teams and a fee plays on offense there isn't enough there to make that kind claim. Latimer may indeed end up being a very good receiver in future but that remains to be seen.

BroncoWave
02-19-2015, 03:04 PM
I think we franchise DT this year. I think Manning also comes back and we win the big one. Manning walks away regular season and super bowl mvp. Lattimer has a break out year.

DT wants about 15 million next year for the next 5 years - instead Denver moves to rebuild, save 20 million from Manning and 15 from DT. Hello scary O-line, secure Von and CJ to big deals instead welcome in the Brock era all the while benefiting from latimer's cheap rookie deal.

DT is worth every penny. Top 5 at his position, young, in his prime, and a great guy to boot. You don't let that out the door.

VonDoom
02-19-2015, 03:09 PM
DT is worth every penny. Top 5 at his position, young, in his prime, and a great guy to boot. You don't let that out the door.

Give me the Super Bowl that Dave predicts (along with whatever he's smoking) and I wouldn't worry about what we do with DT after that.

Valar Morghulis
02-19-2015, 03:12 PM

Buffalo, your statement has made me want to be right more than any other time in my life!

Valar Morghulis
02-19-2015, 03:14 PM
Give me the Super Bowl that Dave predicts (along with whatever he's smoking) and I wouldn't worry about what we do with DT after that.

LOL - *takes another smoke* DT is the most over rated WR in the league.

I still think he is very good, but i think he is far from elite

TXBRONC
02-19-2015, 03:18 PM

My guess is that Denver is going re-sign D. Thomas to deal that will be fair yet not overly burdensome to the Broncos.

BroncoWave
02-19-2015, 04:59 PM

Far from elite?!?! We definitely have very different definitions of elite then.

GEM
02-19-2015, 06:09 PM
I know I'm off topic here. Gem is probably lurking...Hi!!! The AFib is good. No episodes since the surgery. If it comes back, you go do the surgery again and burn them off again. It's liveable. I still do cardio and lift light weights. I'm still in shape. Life is good man!! I make the most of it!!!

Hi!!! :wave: :rolleyes:

Timmy!
02-19-2015, 06:25 PM

Dave has been going off the deep end lately.

Valar Morghulis
02-20-2015, 01:34 AM
Dave has been going off the deep end lately.

What does nostratimmy see in the future then?

Valar Morghulis
02-20-2015, 01:35 AM
Far from elite?!?! We definitely have very different definitions of elite then.

We probably have similar definitions on elite it is just we have different opinions on whether or or not DT falls into that category.

And that is ok.

Simple Jaded
02-20-2015, 01:55 AM
Dave you've been a little off your game since you took Gemma of your avi.

Lancane
02-20-2015, 03:02 AM

I agree that Thomas isn't elite, but not far from it - he is on the cusp IMO Dave. But it may take playing with a lesser quarterback for him to truly develop into a more aggressive receiver and become elite.

Valar Morghulis
02-20-2015, 07:37 AM
I agree that Thomas isn't elite, but not far from it - he is on the cusp IMO Dave. But it may take playing with a lesser quarterback for him to truly develop into a more aggressive receiver and become elite.

Yeah. I can agree with that.

At the minute I would take Dez, Megatron, Julio Jones, over him in a heart beat.

There are others I would pick over him as well, but they are much closer choices.

For me the difference between him and the very best is quite a lot - but he is up there with the best of what's left.

Valar Morghulis
02-20-2015, 07:37 AM
Dave you've been a little off your game since you took Gemma of your avi.

I miss the topless photo of you on the beach

Dapper Dan
02-20-2015, 08:45 AM
Yeah. I can agree with that.

At the minute I would take Dez, Megatron, Julio Jones, over him in a heart beat.

There are others I would pick over him as well, but they are much closer choices.

For me the difference between him and the very best is quite a lot - but he is up there with the best of what's left.

AJ Green?

Timmy!
02-20-2015, 09:11 AM
What does nostratimmy see in the future then?

As far as the receiving corps? DT will get a long term deal worked out, he doesn't want to be tagged. Julius is gone and is going to get stupid money. Welker might be back on a very cheap one year deal. Broncos will sign a TE or two in FA. Latimer is a giant question mark. Hopefully does something next season more than the literally nothing he did last year.

Valar Morghulis
02-20-2015, 09:18 AM
AJ Green?

Yeah, but I think it is close. Imo Green is closer to elite than dt.

Hell Odell Beckham may even be better than dt.

Dapper Dan
02-20-2015, 09:28 AM
Yeah, but I think it is close. Imo Green is closer to elite than dt.

Hell Odell Beckham may even be better than dt.

I usually place Julio and AJ in the same category

Buff
02-20-2015, 11:11 AM

Far from elite? What in the world are you talking about Dave? He's a consensus Top 5 WR in the league and it's not even debatable.

Valar Morghulis
02-20-2015, 11:43 AM
Far from elite? What in the world are you talking about Dave? He's a consensus Top 5 WR in the league and it's not even debatable.

It is not the first time I have been wrong. I doubt it will be the last.

Still don't rate him as high as everyone else does - but that's ok with me.

Buff
02-20-2015, 12:05 PM
It is not the first time I have been wrong. I doubt it will be the last.

Still don't rate him as high as everyone else does - but that's ok with me.

He still disappears too often and drops way too many balls for a Top 5 WR, I'll give you that.

Valar Morghulis
02-20-2015, 12:25 PM
He still disappears too often and drops way too many balls for a Top 5 WR, I'll give you that.

LOL - that was pretty much what i based my assessment on!!!

To be clear - i love DT, i just think the gap between him and Megatron (for example) is much greater than most others do.

Buff
02-20-2015, 12:35 PM
LOL - that was pretty much what i based my assessment on!!!

To be clear - i love DT, i just think the gap between him and Megatron (for example) is much greater than most others do.

Megatron may be a bad example because I think most people would agree that he's in a tier of his own, and then there is a big gap between #1 and #2. But I think DT is clearly and comfortably in that next tier with AJ Green, Dez, Julio and maybe ODB.

The thing that sets him apart is his physical skill set. Even if he drops too many balls, his size/speed combo is a rare commodity.

Lancane
02-20-2015, 01:12 PM
Megatron may be a bad example because I think most people would agree that he's in a tier of his own, and then there is a big gap between #1 and #2. But I think DT is clearly and comfortably in that next tier with AJ Green, Dez, Julio and maybe ODB.

The thing that sets him apart is his physical skill set. Even if he drops too many balls, his size/speed combo is a rare commodity.

Rare but not unheard of in the modern NFL, more and more receivers are starting to fit the mold and obviously finding great receivers is not as hard as it once was. IMHO what he lacks is aggressiveness, he relies too much on his routes rather then playing the ball and defensive backs have found it rather easy to make him misstep or drive him off his route which adds to the higher missed attempt percentage. Fix those couple issues and he'd probably be considered one of, if not the most elite receiver in the league.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-20-2015, 02:25 PM
Rare but not unheard of in the modern NFL, more and more receivers are starting to fit the mold and obviously finding great receivers is not as hard as it once was. IMHO what he lacks is aggressiveness, he relies too much on his routes rather then playing the ball and defensive backs have found it rather easy to make him misstep or drive him off his route which adds to the higher missed attempt percentage. Fix those couple issues and he'd probably be considered one of, if not the most elite receiver in the league.

I would argue that Calvin is the only other receiver with that skill set

Dapper Dan
02-20-2015, 02:28 PM
Calvin Johnson is the only elite WR in the NFL. It's settled.

Lancane
02-20-2015, 03:38 PM
I would argue that Calvin is the only other receiver with that skill set

Calvin Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Andre Johnson, Julio Jones, Larry Fitzgerald, Dez Bryant, A.J. Green, Vincent Jackson...