PDA

View Full Version : Here's how to handle Peyton Manning

MHCBill
02-10-2015, 10:49 AM
When he meets with Elway, Ellis, and Kubiak later this week to tell them he is coming back I think they need to tell him one thing.

"Peyton, we are excited to have you back and we want you here. However, there is one issue we want to address now versus later. No matter what it may cost the team in playoff seeding, home field advantage, or your own ego, YOU WILL NOT PLAY WITH ANY NAGGING INJURIES!!"

I rewatched the Broncos/Seahawks game the other night, and his throws were exceptional. Outside the hashes, deep balls, sliding in the pocket... everything you think of was terrific. When he is fully healthy, he is still ELITE. Even against a great defense in their building.

During the Super Bowl run Manning dealt with 2 sore ankles the last third of the season and into the playoffs. We all are very aware of last year's quad injury. At his age, Manning cannot be ELITE with injuries, even if "minor". He can still be very good, but not ELITE.

If Elway can fix the o-line, which I think will be his #1 priority this off-season, which he stated during the Kubiak introductory press conference then I think this team is ready for another run for the championship. I believe Kubiak's offense will become a hybrid of what he likes to do and what Manning likes to do. But if healthy, Manning can run this offense exceptionally well. Wade should have the defense we want. Aggressive, attacking, man-to-man, etc...

Manning being healthy in weeks 15-17 as well as the playoffs is the most important thing. We have witnessed the last 2 seasons the outcome when he isn't, which included the team securing the #1 and #2 seeds. Screw the seeding, didn't get us over the top anyway. Manning being healthy in the playoffs is the best shot, and sitting out a few games when slightly injured would go a long way in doing that.

TXBRONC
02-10-2015, 11:20 AM
I don't know if he needs to be confronted like that. Kubiak is the coach if Manning has some kind injury that is effecting his performance he has the right to sit him. Kubiak also the right to let right to let the back up quarterback get some snaps during practice.

Buff
02-10-2015, 11:25 AM
I feel like this goes without saying. He killed the team trying to play through injuries - I'd hope he's smart enough to realize that.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-10-2015, 11:37 AM
I feel like this goes without saying. He killed the team trying to play through injuries - I'd hope he's smart enough to realize that.

I am sure Peyton is smart enough to realize that, and only hope that he now realizes that playing with injuries does absolutely nothing to help the team, either on offense, or defense, having to play more of the game than they should have to because the offense is not moving the ball.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-10-2015, 11:52 AM

I would suspect that's why he was so somber after the playoff loss and had changed his tune about playing next year. I doubt it was hopeless grief over Fox leaving.

MHCBill
02-10-2015, 12:01 PM
I feel like this goes without saying. He killed the team trying to play through injuries - I'd hope he's smart enough to realize that.Does he?

I cannot remember one instance where he ever indicated that he should not be on the field.

Don't know if it's Elway or Kubiak or a combination of both, but someone needs to let him know that if he's hurt, he's not playing. His body cannot heal while he's out there playing. I'm not convinced tha up to this point that has ever happened.

Does he know he's killing the team playing through injuries? Show me some proof that he does.

Northman
02-10-2015, 12:04 PM
Does he?

I cannot remember one instance where he ever indicated that he should not be on the field.

Don't know if it's Elway or Kubiak or a combination of both, but someone needs to let him know that if he's hurt, he's not playing. His body cannot heal while he's out there playing. I'm not convinced tha up to this point that has ever happened.

Does he know he's killing the team playing through injuries? Show me some proof that he does.

Well, i think its a combination of both the HC not being forceful enough (when its obvious he was struggling) to have him sit down for a couple of games. And two, Peyton's inner fire and competitiveness to want to play. Lets face it, football players think they are invincible and can play through anything so it isnt totally shocking to me that Peyton wanted to play. But, it was Fox's job to recognize when that player needs to sit and he didnt which ultimately hurt the team down the stretch. Hopefully Kubiak will not make the same kind of mistake.

MHCBill
02-10-2015, 12:30 PM
well, i think its a combination of both the hc not being forceful enough (when its obvious he was struggling) to have him sit down for a couple of games. And two, peyton's inner fire and competitiveness to want to play. Lets face it, football players think they are invincible and can play through anything so it isnt totally shocking to me that peyton wanted to play. But, it was fox's job to recognize when that player needs to sit and he didnt which ultimately hurt the team down the stretch. Hopefully kubiak will not make the same kind of mistake.a.g.r.e.e.

pulse
02-10-2015, 04:29 PM
How about we just focus on keeping him healthy. The offensive line coach and the offensive coordinator can do a lot to take care of this, not just Manning himself. He stays healthy and we're not the same team that limped into the playoffs this past season. Furthermore, we still have a great defense. Our defense played outstanding even against the Colts. A healthy Peyton Manning-lea offense scores 30+ points in that game, regardless if we would have got beat in New England. Anyway, Manning doesn't look like an old fart right now. Other than the neck issue, he hasn't got the horrible knee and ligament issues that many other QBs his age have had to battle through. If he can focus on being 100% physically fit to compete at a high level, as it seems like he is taking seriously with Shilstone, Denver should be back to their dominate ways and have a lot to look forward to in 2015.

Win the AFC West. Secure home field again. Let the pieces fall as they may.

BroncoWave
02-10-2015, 04:50 PM
I think just as importantly, the coaches need to give Brock more reps with the first team. I don't care how adamant Manning is about getting all thy practice reps, the coaches need to be forceful and make him back off and give Brock some as well.

nevcraw
02-11-2015, 08:40 PM
1. the broncos should have been able to win with the talent they had with a 60% version of Manning. - they could not. coaching.. coaching.. coaching..
2. I don't want a QB on the the team that doesn't think he is the only chance the team has to win. why would you?
3. we weren't going to win 1 game with Oz last year and manning played injured from October.
4. I was hoping for a new regime in town given the shanny family tree of fail but i do think there will be a never say die attitude starting again in denver

tomjonesrocks
02-11-2015, 08:54 PM
I've said it before but I don't know why guys didn't look like they wanted to try to carry Manning to a win. They had to know he was hurt.

It wasn't at all "this one's for John". It's really weird.

The team gave up. There's lots of examples of guys just basically saying "meh" mid-play in that game.

MileHighCrew
02-11-2015, 09:04 PM
I've said it before but I don't know why guys didn't look like they wanted to try to carry Manning to a win. They had to know he was hurt.

The team gave up. There's lots of examples of guys just basically saying "meh" mid-play in that game.

hurt QB is one thing, coach already out the door and is more focused on Jay Cutler might have had something to do with it???? I don't know, just an alternative thought

TXBRONC
02-11-2015, 11:37 PM
1. the broncos should have been able to win with the talent they had with a 60% version of Manning. - they could not. coaching.. coaching.. coaching..
2. I don't want a QB on the the team that doesn't think he is the only chance the team has to win. why would you?
3. we weren't going to win 1 game with Oz last year and manning played injured from October.
4. I was hoping for a new regime in town given the shanny family tree of fail but i do think there will be a never say die attitude starting again in denver

Manning was at 60% or less and they couldn't win and I don't think that is all on the coaching. Maybe the team wouldn't have won one game if Manning had sat but if he had rested maybe that has more positive effect in the long run. Personally, I think Denver could have won some games with Manning on the sidelines. It's not like Manning was playing lights out the last six or seven weeks of the season.

Davii
02-12-2015, 03:04 AM

Leadership failure.