PDA

View Full Version : Broncos evaluating all kinds of players to restock roster

Denver Native (Carol)
02-08-2015, 03:22 PM
Where the Broncos offseason would get interesting is if Peyton Manning does retire.

Maybe not interesting. Maybe more like frightening.

Such a seismic sporting event is not expected. Most signs point to Manning's return to play his 18th NFL season, at 39 years old. First, though, he wants to have individual conversations with Broncos chief executive officer Joe Ellis, general manager John Elway and coach Gary Kubiak.

Why the deliberation?

rest - long article
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27482708/broncos-evaluating-all-kinds-players-restock-roster

TXBRONC
02-09-2015, 10:00 AM
I think the biggest splash the Broncos will make in free agency are the players they re-sign.

Ziggy
02-09-2015, 10:59 AM
Klis talks about how Elway's drafts have been disappointing since 2011. What he doesn't do is take into consideration that this team has 11 pro bowlers. This is the most talented roster in the league. It's unrealistic to expect many draft picks to make an impact when you have pro bowlers at literally half of the positions on the roster. Elway has done a masterful job acquiring talent. Better than any GM in the league. We don't know what some of these backups can do yet, just because they are playing behind some pro bowl caliber players. Guys like Latimer, Kayvon, Quanterus, and Oz could all be stars down the road. On a team with a ton of talent, you have to give draft picks extra time to shine. Teams with no talent have rookies that are forced into action. That's not the case in Denver.

Outside of Schefter no one has ever had inside info to Elway's offseason moves. No one predicted him going after Emmanuel Sanders last season, or Luis Vasquez the year before. He signed both quickly. I stopped listening to the "insiders" when it comes to predicting the Broncos draft and free agent moves once the Duke took over. He doesn't show his hand, as it should be.

TXBRONC
02-09-2015, 11:41 AM
Klis talks about how Elway's drafts have been disappointing since 2011. What he doesn't do is take into consideration that this team has 11 pro bowlers. This is the most talented roster in the league. It's unrealistic to expect many draft picks to make an impact when you have pro bowlers at literally half of the positions on the roster. Elway has done a masterful job acquiring talent. Better than any GM in the league. We don't know what some of these backups can do yet, just because they are playing behind some pro bowl caliber players. Guys like Latimer, Kayvon, Quanterus, and Oz could all be stars down the road. On a team with a ton of talent, you have to give draft picks extra time to shine. Teams with no talent have rookies that are forced into action. That's not the case in Denver.

Outside of Schefter no one has ever had inside info to Elway's offseason moves. No one predicted him going after Emmanuel Sanders last season, or Luis Vasquez the year before. He signed both quickly. I stopped listening to the "insiders" when it comes to predicting the Broncos draft and free agent moves once the Duke took over. He doesn't show his hand, as it should be.

I disagree with Klis' view on Denver's last two drafts because it's just to early to write them off. I also don't think Schefter is only one to ever have inside information. In fact his inside information is not always nor does he always make it to the party.

Ziggy
02-09-2015, 11:47 AM
I disagree with Klis' view on Denver's last two drafts because it's just to early to write them off. I also don't think Schefter is only one to ever have inside information. In fact his inside information is not always nor does he always make it to the party.

While all of the other 'insiders' said that the Broncos would be drafting MLB or a pass rush guy in the first last year, Schefter said that they might look at corner with their top pick. The year before, folks said that the Broncos would go corner or linebacker again, Schefter said that the Broncos were looking at Dlineman. The year before that, Lammey swore that the Broncos brass were going to take Lamar Miller if he was there in the second. Schefter specifically pointed out QB's like Osweiller. He's been dead on every year when it comes to the draft.

TXBRONC
02-09-2015, 12:33 PM
While all of the other 'insiders' said that the Broncos would be drafting MLB or a pass rush guy in the first last year, Schefter said that they might look at corner with their top pick. The year before, folks said that the Broncos would go corner or linebacker again, Schefter said that the Broncos were looking at Dlineman. The year before that, Lammey swore that the Broncos brass were going to take Lamar Miller if he was there in the second. Schefter specifically pointed out QB's like Osweiller. He's been dead on every year when it comes to the draft.

I don't remember him predicting any of those beside that I doubt he was the one.

silkamilkamonico
02-09-2015, 12:36 PM

Klis is right, and this team has 11 pro bowlers, many of them Denver isn't going to be so quick to re-sign to the team. I've learned to basically count Denver's drafts as irrelevant, and put all my attention to the stellar free agency Elway will put together. He's done both every year.

TXBRONC
02-09-2015, 12:41 PM
Klis is right, and this team has 11 pro bowlers, many of them Denver isn't going to be so quick to re-sign to the team. I've learned to basically count Denver's drafts as irrelevant, and put all my attention to the stellar free agency Elway will put together. He's done both every year.

Ok, but that's a mistake.

silkamilkamonico
02-09-2015, 12:44 PM
Ok, but that's a mistake.

I just think it's what Elway's good at. Stick to what your good at. There is a nother thread about searching for 3 or 4 olinemen or whatever. He drafted the Schofield kid last year in the 3rd round and it really looks like, as now, he won't even be in the mix. If Elway can look at free agency and maybe get some of those under the radar guys to come in and produce with his big splashes it can offswet the drafts.

Denver right now has a very good eye for players in the league. I just don't think they have a good eye for players coming into the league.

TXBRONC
02-09-2015, 12:48 PM
I just think it's what Elway's good at. Stick to what your good at. There is a nother thread about searching for 3 or 4 olinemen or whatever. He drafted the Schofield kid last year in the 3rd round and it really looks like, as now, he won't even be in the mix. If Elway can look at free agency and maybe get some of those under the radar guys to come in and produce with his big splashes it can offswet the drafts.

Denver right now has a very good eye for players in the league. I just don't think they have a good eye for players coming into the league.

He has good eye for talent in the draft as well.

silkamilkamonico
02-09-2015, 12:53 PM
He has good eye for talent in the draft as well.

show me all this talent we've accumulated n the draft

TXBRONC
02-09-2015, 01:07 PM
show me all this talent we've accumulated n the draft

Miller, Wolfe, Trevathan, J. Thomas, Moore, Roby, Jackson, Irving, Carter, Franklin, Green, and Williams.

I won't argue with you any further than this because that's just a pissing contest. I like you Silk but I don't always agree you.

Lancane
02-09-2015, 04:29 PM
Of the 11 Pro Bowlers you have 2 drafted by Elway in Miller and J. Thomas, D. Thomas and R. Clady are the only other original draftees but under other regimes. Those others, all free agents, even C.J. Anderson falls into that category because he was not drafted by the Broncos. And we could make an argument that Clady did not belong in the Pro Bowl with his numbers this season which were horrid. But if the Pro Bowl (which is a complete farce) is the measuring stick then the outlook of Pro Football is in deeper **** then I ever imagined, because the Pro-Bowl is nothing but a popularity contest. Despite the hoopla of 11 Pro Bowlers not one made the AP All-Pro team, granted it's harder to make the All-Pro roster.

Elway has allowed one All-Pro go already in Elvis Dumervil, but we all agree that was a mess. But he'll soon likely depart with one of his two best draftees in Julius Thomas, but overall when I look at the draft he's been solid but far from great, and people need to quit using Miller, he can not be accounted for because it's really hard to **** up the second overall pick in any draft unless your totally inept. Can you literally say that other then Miller or that first draft in which Denver had early picks in each round that he's been as successful? Solid, but not great. As Silk said, Elway's mark has been through free agency, this year he will have to use the draft wisely and he'll have to spend thriftily and make the roster competitive. As I said, this will be his hardest year as a G.M. thus far bar none.