PDA

View Full Version : Legwold: Three New Starters Desired for Offensive Line

WARHORSE
02-08-2015, 12:01 PM
I love it and cant wait.

http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/161069/broncos-seek-at-least-three-new-starters-on-offensive-line

Jsteve01
02-08-2015, 12:17 PM
I'll take two and oddly enough Montgomery may be a very solid fit for this system so we may stand pat, but I'll tell you one thing. Mo's fears about creating holes at multiple positions by moving Franklin inside sure came to fruition. The right side was a glaring hole, and I'll still never understand the coaching staff's decision to move our all pro RG outside to a position he'd never played rather than just slide Orlando back out there. In the first half of the season he was lost at G and then by the end he and clady were easily our two best o linemen. I want Orland back. He loves he Broncs and is a big nasty. He's also an underrated athlete and should transition pretty well to the zone scheme

silkamilkamonico
02-08-2015, 01:46 PM
They nheed to kick Clady to the curb and go with 4. Seriously.

silkamilkamonico
02-08-2015, 01:46 PM
I'll take two and oddly enough Montgomery may be a very solid fit for this system so we may stand pat, but I'll tell you one thing. Mo's fears about creating holes at multiple positions by moving Franklin inside sure came to fruition. The right side was a glaring hole, and I'll still never understand the coaching staff's decision to move our all pro RG outside to a position he'd never played rather than just slide Orlando back out there. In the first half of the season he was lost at G and then by the end he and clady were easily our two best o linemen. I want Orland back. He loves he Broncs and is a big nasty. He's also an underrated athlete and should transition pretty well to the zone scheme

Franklin was failed by the idiotic coaches last year. He had no business being removed from RT.

Simple Jaded
02-08-2015, 02:42 PM

I'd rather see them try him at RT than flush him out altogether, dude is talented.

TXBRONC
02-08-2015, 02:53 PM

I disagree kicking Clady to the curb would be a very bad move.

Ziggy
02-08-2015, 03:02 PM

Clady is still one of the most talented OT's in the league. If he stays healthy next season, he'll be all-pro.

VonDoom
02-08-2015, 03:08 PM
Clady, Vasquez, Franklin and two new guys. Keep Montgomery for depth like he was supposed to be. Hopefully Schofield improves

TXBRONC
02-08-2015, 03:14 PM
Clady, Vasquez, Franklin and two new guys. Keep Montgomery for depth like he was supposed to be. Hopefully Schofield improves

Montgomery did a solid job as the starting center so if he remained in the starting line up I think the Broncos would be fine.

7DnBrnc53
02-08-2015, 03:14 PM

RT Cameron Erving in the first round, and Chief C Rodney Hudson (or Raider C Stefen Wisniewski) in FA.

Denver should have drafted Wisniewski (instead of Moore) along with Franklin in Round 2 four years ago (and then drafted Demarco Murray in Round 3 instead of Nate Irving).

Jsteve01
02-08-2015, 03:20 PM
Clady definitely was off last year, but let's not forget he was drafted to play in a zone scheme. He may never be the guy he was pre Lisfranc but he's still in the top third of the league, and the deeper we get into his contract, the better value he becomes vs the rest of the top tackles. I too hope Schofield develops. I'll admit that all I watched was highlight film of him post draft but I was seriously underwhelmed. He doesn't look to have the feet to play outside and he plays to high and without enough drive to slide inside. Paradis has the most long term potential of the two imho

tomjonesrocks
02-08-2015, 03:24 PM
It's been reported separately Denver wants Montgomery back. So 3 of the 4 remaining are on thin ice I guess.

tomjonesrocks
02-08-2015, 03:26 PM
I still wonder what they were thinking with Schofield. That was a Shannyesque "we are smarter than everyone else" pick that was roundly panned the instant it happened.

Out of character for this leadership group.

Jsteve01
02-08-2015, 03:31 PM
It's been reported separately Denver wants Montgomery back. So 3 of the 4 remaining are on thin ice I guess. which three? you think Franklin, Ramirez and Clady are all on thin ice?

VonDoom
02-08-2015, 03:49 PM
It's been reported separately Denver wants Montgomery back. So 3 of the 4 remaining are on thin ice I guess.

Right but wanting him back doesn't mean that he's guaranteed to be the starter.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-08-2015, 04:25 PM
I'm glad Schereth explained why Clady looked so bad on that play. I feel a lot better about it now.

tomjonesrocks
02-08-2015, 04:28 PM
which three? you think Franklin, Ramirez and Clady are all on thin ice?

Combining stories.

Obviously I don't know.

One story says we are working to retain Montgomery. The other says we want 3 new starters.

Just doing the math.

Joel
02-08-2015, 04:53 PM
The Broncos also saw their running backs being hit at or behind the line of scrimmage on a third of their carries.
Turns out those of us complaing about this didn't hallucinate it nearly as much as most alleged. But hey, Schofield, what a find; never seen a guy INACTIVE EVERY GAME do so much.... :rolleyes:

"Athletically speaking, they're not good enough at left guard, center, and they need to find a right tackle," Schlereth said. "They need to develop some young players ... they're not doing a good enough job drafting and developing at the position. The misnomer is you have to be lighter to play in the offense, all that baloney. Look, you need to have great feet, great hands, and you can play a long time in that offense. They need to find and develop those guys. I mean, the Patriots just won a Super Bowl with a rookie at center [Bryan Stork (http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/16826/bryan-stork)] they got in the fourth round."
In all seriousness, what Schlereth just said is why Franklin didn't work as either a RT or pulling guard, whatever wacky tobacky PFF's been smoking. IF Clady's fully healthy (a caveat Schlereth also wisely included) he and Vasquez are good to go, and possibly Montgomery (he took over at C too late to be really sure, IMHO, but he WAS a three year starter at C in a Shanny 'Skins offense with which ours under Kubiak will have strong similarities.) It's too soon to say.

Regardless, Franklin's slow feet and reflexes are anathema to the ZBS: As a RT, he matched up well with bull rushers but has always been a liability vs. quick fast edge rushers, and has the same issues at G vs. stunts inside or when asked to pull and lead block (though I agree he slightly improved at the latter by the end of last year.) Maybe he could get there eventually, but hitting the FA market with starting OT and G experience and with our ABSOLUTE last chance at a Manning SB, we can't afford the high financial and other prices of that "eventually," especially with guys like DT and Potroast to sign.

So look to replace Franklin, Ramirez and possibly Montgomery, or Clady if even an extra offseason's not enough to get him back into All Pro form. Gotta say, I LOVE finally having coaches I agree with again.

chazoe60
02-08-2015, 05:06 PM

That's the worst idea ever. :laugh:

Lancane
02-08-2015, 05:14 PM
Montgomery makes absolute sense, he was the starting center in Washington in the zone scheme under Shanahan, he's solid depth but more then that, he could start if needed.

As for Ryan Clady that is a slippery slope, before last year he continually graded out among the best left tackles in the league, this year he was one of the worst. Now the ideal of cutting him is preposterous, but then again if Denver feels that he may be extensively hampered by his previous injury they could try and force him to take less and kick him to right tackle and if he doesn't...well, despite what some believe cutting Clady actually doesn't hurt the Broncos in fiscal terms, it would open up an additional 8 million and create very little dead money since he's been paid most of his guaranteed money. I know it sounds asinine, but then again we've seen stranger **** happen. I don't believe they'll do it, but I would not be surprised either.

I believe that two of those in hot water are Manny Ramirez and Chris Clark, both are likely to get cut IMHO. Whereas Franklin graded out above expectations and had a career season at left guard, performing above and beyond almost everyone else on the line.

Simple Jaded
02-08-2015, 05:37 PM
Clady has a $10.6 M cap figure and a $1.8 M dead money figure, he's not in any danger of being released but it wouldn't hurt Denver's cap much at all. But, Clady is still one of the elite LT talents in the NFL, imo, and there is zero T's in FA and the draft better than Clady. Not one.

VonDoom
02-08-2015, 05:41 PM
Montgomery makes absolute sense, he was the starting center in Washington in the zone scheme under Shanahan, he's solid depth but more then that, he could start if needed.

As for Ryan Clady that is a slippery slope, before last year he continually graded out among the best left tackles in the league, this year he was one of the worst. Now the ideal of cutting him is preposterous, but then again if Denver feels that he may be extensively hampered by his previous injury they could try and force him to take less and kick him to right tackle and if he doesn't...well, despite what some believe cutting Clady actually doesn't hurt the Broncos in fiscal terms, it would open up an additional 8 million and create very little dead money since he's been paid most of his guaranteed money. I know it sounds asinine, but then again we've seen stranger **** happen. I don't believe they'll do it, but I would not be surprised either.

I believe that two of those in hot water are Manny Ramirez and Chris Clark, both are likely to get cut IMHO. Whereas Franklin graded out above expectations and had a career season at left guard, performing above and beyond almost everyone else on the line.

Ramirez should be gone (saves us $3 million cap space) and probably Clark as well, though I could see him sticking around as depth depending on how things shake out. On an unrelated note, I'd cut Colquitt as well and save another $3 million.

As for Clady, I mentioned in a thread a while back the possibility of cutting him. He has the second highest cap hit on the team and he just wasn't good last year. That being said, though, I find it hard to believe they would go that way. Saving $8.8 million is appealing but then they need a top LT to replace him and as Jaded said, I just don't see who that is right now. Too many other moving parts on the line this year to cut everyone. I hope he returns to form, at least somewhat, and if he stinks, he's an easy cut for the following year.

Lancane
02-08-2015, 06:11 PM
Clady has a $10.6 M cap figure and a $1.8 M dead money figure, he's not in any danger of being released but it wouldn't hurt Denver's cap much at all. But, Clady is still one of the elite LT talents in the NFL, imo, and there is zero T's in FA and the draft better than Clady. Not one.

That is why I do not see them parting with him, even though he was horrible this past season they may end up cutting their nose despite their face. The only way I could see them releasing him is if they want him to restructure and he refuses, that could push them to go in a different direction in light of the cap situation. If that happens then all bets are off and Denver is likely to be trading up for a surefire left tackle come the draft.

TXBRONC
02-08-2015, 07:08 PM
That is why I do not see them parting with him, even though he was horrible this past season they may end up cutting their nose despite their face. The only way I could see them releasing him is if they want him to restructure and he refuses, that could push them to go in a different direction in light of the cap situation. If that happens then all bets are off and Denver is likely to be trading up for a surefire left tackle come the draft.

Clady isn't going anywhere. He really didn't struggle until after the game in San Diego.

MOtorboat
02-08-2015, 07:21 PM
LOL.

Yeah, let's just kick an All-Pro to the curb. As smart as moving a solid RT to LG and creating two holes with one move. This shit just gets dumber and dumber.

Jsteve01
02-08-2015, 07:58 PM
LOL.

Yeah, let's just kick an All-Pro to the curb. As smart as moving a solid RT to LG and creating two holes with one move. This shit just gets dumber and dumber.
Hey I gave you props on that two hole thing earlier there buddy

WARHORSE
02-08-2015, 09:40 PM
New starters doesnt neccessarily mean new players, could be new position as well. I dont see Franklin back, hes too tight in the hips. Montgomery is good depth. Vazquez back to RG. We need RT, C and LG.

Franklin is not coming back imo.

dogfish
02-08-2015, 09:43 PM
OL?

more like LOL. . .

:coffee:

ShaneFalco
02-08-2015, 11:05 PM
Franklin is the best run blocker we have....

Lancane
02-09-2015, 04:03 AM
LOL.

Nobody said anything about kicking him to the curb, but fact is that he has steadily declined since suffering his Lisfranc Sprain, this year he looked more E. Salaam at times (32 quarterback hurries in 2014) then himself. Now can he bounce back? Yes, I believe so. Remember when he turned down Denver's initial offer? Well the ball is now in their court, PFF had him graded out in the middle of current starting left tackles and has stated a noted decline since the injury, no one will trade for someone who has struggled as he has, Schlereth basically called him out and said he needed to improve, no excuses. So Denver could be hoping to restructure but if he refuses, then yeah I could see them choosing to go a different direction because he's not playing up to the standards for the contract he got, injury or no - which was Schlereth's point. People need to stop getting their underwear in knots every single time someone mentions a possible scenario. Teams usually don't trade franchise quarterbacks (Denver did), teams don't usually trade their top wide receivers (Denver did), teams usually don't fire coaches after three winning seasons (Denver did). How many thought any such moves possible before hand? Point made.

Traveler
02-09-2015, 08:26 AM
I'd like to see them draft a RT, LG or both and make Stefen Wisniewski the one and only big outside FA signing. I wouldn't mind them somehow keeping Franklin and moving him back to RT, but it seems like they are ready to move on. It'll be interesting to see how the OL issues are finally addressed.

TXBRONC
02-09-2015, 08:45 AM
I don't think a player having an off year means going punishing them by wanting to restructure the contract.

silkamilkamonico
02-09-2015, 12:29 PM
Clady was f'n terrible last year - how much is that fool getting paid? Too much whatever it is.

TXBRONC
02-09-2015, 12:46 PM
I'd like to see them draft a RT, LG or both and make Stefen Wisniewski the one and only big outside FA signing. I wouldn't mind them somehow keeping Franklin and moving him back to RT, but it seems like they are ready to move on. It'll be interesting to see how the OL issues are finally addressed.

Wisniewski's natural position is guard iirc. I also be surprised to see Franklin re-signed and moved back to right tackle.

silkamilkamonico
02-09-2015, 12:57 PM
How boss would Franklin be in Kube's system at RT? Get er done Kubes!

Lancane
02-09-2015, 03:26 PM
I don't think a player having an off year means going punishing them by wanting to restructure the contract.

Do you believe that Orlando Franklin deserves 10 million a year? Well Orlando Franklin has been better then Clady since his return from injury and that is what they are paying Clady.

TXBRONC
02-09-2015, 04:19 PM
Do you believe that Orlando Franklin deserves 10 million a year? Well Orlando Franklin has been better then Clady since his return from injury and that is what they are paying Clady.

We'll have to differ on this to some degree my friend. Clady played well until he was hobbled with injury. Also Franklin isn't a left tackle so I don't think that is real good comparison. I also think both will benefit from a zone blocking scheme.

Lancane
02-09-2015, 04:40 PM
We'll have to differ on this to some degree my friend. Clady played well until he was hobbled with injury. Also Franklin isn't a left tackle so I don't think that is real good comparison. I also think both will benefit from a zone blocking scheme.

Clady was even less then stellar before TX, PFF has reported that Clady has steadily declined since his injury, he allowed (32 QB Hurries) in 2014, if that was from only part of the season then Manning or Osweiler are in deep doo-doo any time he get's banged up, Zimmerman was always dinged up and did not allow himself to become a weak link, that is what I expect of a blindside protector, he is key to keeping the quarterback alive! And you're right, Franklin is not a left tackle, my point is that stat for stat Franklin has graded out relatively better at his positions since Clady suffered the Lisfranc Sprain, so if he is not worth top dollar at his position how is Clady? I truly hope Clady bounces back, but chances are low that he will, few have after such an injury...but then again the ZBS can mask some deficiencies so that could be a plus for Clady as well.

chazoe60
02-09-2015, 05:09 PM
Clady was f'n terrible last year - how much is that fool getting paid? Too much whatever it is.

Holy shit, I am so glad you aren't our GM. Worst takes ever

TXBRONC
02-09-2015, 05:34 PM
Clady was even less then stellar before TX, PFF has reported that Clady has steadily declined since his injury, he allowed (32 QB Hurries) in 2014, if that was from only part of the season then Manning or Osweiler are in deep doo-doo any time he get's banged up, Zimmerman was always dinged up and did not allow himself to become a weak link, that is what I expect of a blindside protector, he is key to keeping the quarterback alive! And you're right, Franklin is not a left tackle, my point is that stat for stat Franklin has graded out relatively better at his positions since Clady suffered the Lisfranc Sprain, so if he is not worth top dollar at his position how is Clady? I truly hope Clady bounces back, but chances are low that he will, few have after such an injury...but then again the ZBS can mask some deficiencies so that could be a plus for Clady as well.

FWIW I've heard that it takes about two years for a Lisfranc to heal.

Lancane
02-09-2015, 05:55 PM

I've heard the same, so let's hope that he can rebound like Ty Law, Aaron Schobel and Dwight Freeney did.

spikerman
02-09-2015, 06:05 PM

They had a dr. call in to the NFL channel on Sirius a couple of weeks ago and he said that he's never known anyone to fully recover from a Lisfranc injury. Scary thought.

Davii
02-09-2015, 06:29 PM
They had a dr. call in to the NFL channel on Sirius a couple of weeks ago and he said that he's never known anyone to fully recover from a Lisfranc injury. Scary thought.

Yes it is. See: Bailey, Champ

Lisfranc injuries are bad. I know guys discharged from them. Granted, you don't get two years to heal before you're evaluated for medical discharge either.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-10-2015, 09:22 AM
Combining stories.

Obviously I don't know.

One story says we are working to retain Montgomery. The other says we want 3 new starters.

Just doing the math.

I think they were considering Vasquez moving back to RG as possibly one of the 3 moves.