PDA

View Full Version : New State of the Art Drive-In Theater Coming to Denver

MasterShake
02-05-2015, 08:43 PM
We only have one Drive-In left in Colorado (88th Drive In) so this news makes me very happy! I loved going to double features as a kid. We used to play on the playground in front of the screen in our pajamas and shoes and then scramble back when the movies started to eat homemade popcorn. And when I was in high school, it was a great place to have a movie on in the background.

A new, state-of-the-art drive-in theater is coming to the Denver Mart this spring.

The CEO and co-owner of the Denver Mart, John Doyle, is working to build a 300,000-square-foot theater space in the pavilion parking lot on the northwest portion of the 28-acre Denver Mart Complex at 451 E. 58th Ave. in southwest Adams County.

Movie-goers take in the first of a double feature at the 88 Drive-In Theatre in Commerce City in 2010. (Matt McClain, Denver Post file)
Despite the nationwide closing of dozens of drive-in movie theaters, Doyle said he believes his will be more novel and attractive to a 21st century audience based on the projection technology and convenience.

http://www.denverpost.com/adamsco/ci_27466923/new-drive-movie-theater-massive-screen-coming-denver?source=infinite

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-05-2015, 11:25 PM
We still have a couple here in the Treasure Valley, on the outskirts.

chazoe60
02-06-2015, 12:24 AM
We only have one Drive-In left in Colorado (88th Drive In) so this news makes me very happy! I loved going to double features as a kid. We used to play on the playground in front of the screen in our pajamas and shoes and then scramble back when the movies started to eat homemade popcorn. And when I was in high school, it was a great place to have a movie on in the background.

http://www.denverpost.com/adamsco/ci_27466923/new-drive-movie-theater-massive-screen-coming-denver?source=infinite
Unless something happened that I didn't know about there are still Drive-ins in Delta and Montrose, both of which are in Colorado.

chazoe60
02-06-2015, 12:27 AM
After reading the article I think they meant that the 88 was the only Drive-in in the Denver area, not the entire state. We go to the Tru-Vu Drive-in in Delta about three times every summer. It is awesome.

olathebroncofan
02-06-2015, 12:51 AM
True Story...when we bought our first house in Minnesota, we didn't scout or the area south of our house to well. One summer night I just happened look out the window and realized we less than a half mile away from a drive in. The angle was such that you could see a movie playing, but it was only the top half of a screen.

Oh and we were the kids that laughed at the kids in pajamas at the playground. Fun times.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-06-2015, 02:37 AM
True Story...when we bought our first house in Minnesota, we didn't scout or the area south of our house to well. One summer night I just happened look out the window and realized we less than a half mile away from a drive in. The angle was such that you could see a movie playing, but it was only the top half of a screen.

Oh and we were the kids that laughed at the kids in pajamas at the playground. Fun times.

When I was in the 8th grade my mom rented a place that was about 200 yards from an old drive inn central Boise, which is now a car lot. Sometimes I could pick up the radio frequency and watch the movies from my back yard

Lancane
02-06-2015, 02:48 AM
Holiday Twin Drive-In here in Fort Collins is always packed when it's opened. I was so pissed when they closed Cinderella Twin Drive-In, I have a lot of great memories from there. Also the one that used to be located up near Broomfield not far from Westminster Rec Center and the main campus of Front Range Community College, North Star or whatever.

Northman
02-06-2015, 03:12 AM

Thats great man, i love the drive in. There arent many around anymore but we have one here in MD near us and it regularly plays 3 movies for the price of one ticket. Plus, the refreshments are much cheaper as well. A couple of times a year they do an dusk til dawn thing which is always fun. Love the drive in but sad there just isnt that many around anymore.

olathebroncofan
02-06-2015, 03:13 AM
We used to go to the one one Colfax just east of Peoria and then hit the kings table buffet spot afterwards. Those were the days.

Lancane
02-06-2015, 03:15 AM
We usually would go to Popeye's Chicken or nab some Jim's Wings and go.

Northman
02-06-2015, 03:22 AM
We used to go to the one one Colfax just east of Peoria and then hit the kings table buffet spot afterwards. Those were the days.

Cant remember the streets as its been so long but is that the one that was by Fitzsimmons? I used to go to that one a lot as a teen.

MasterShake
02-06-2015, 09:48 AM

Man there are a few things that sum up my childhood. Kings Table, Drive-Ins (Northstar and 88th), Celebrity Fun Center, Showbiz Pizza and Organ Grinder. I miss some of the old malls like Cinderella City, too. As a matter of fact the last of the old Malls was torn down about 10 years ago when Westminster Mall went down.

BroncoJoe
02-06-2015, 10:06 AM
Man there are a few things that sum up my childhood. Kings Table, Drive-Ins (Northstar and 88th), Celebrity Fun Center, Showbiz Pizza and Organ Grinder. I miss some of the old malls like Cinderella City, too. As a matter of fact the last of the old Malls was torn down about 10 years ago when Westminster Mall went down.

CinderAlley was one of my favorite places to go. And Celebrity, of course.

Dzone
02-06-2015, 10:25 AM
Ive seen the Mesa Drive In the Pblow. Cars pouring into that place. This new one in denver is going to be awesome

olathebroncofan
02-06-2015, 06:30 PM

Cant remember the streets as its been so long but is that the one that was by Fitzsimmons? I used to go to that one a lot as a teen.

Yes that is the one.

olathebroncofan
02-06-2015, 06:38 PM

Celebrity was the best place ever. When we adopted my brother, that is where we did the Wednesday's Child segment.

Is lakeside still around? That roller-coaster was a chiropractor's dream.

I used to work at eliches in the summers of 93 and 94 so I could pay for prom and a little spending change for freshman year.

Back on topic...drive in are cool...

underrated29
02-06-2015, 06:54 PM
Celebrity was the best place ever. When we adopted my brother, that is where we did the Wednesday's Child segment.

Is lakeside still around? That roller-coaster was a chiropractor's dream.

I used to work at eliches in the summers of 93 and 94 so I could pay for prom and a little spending change for freshman year.

Back on topic...drive in are cool...

Celebrity was my fav. Had so many bdays there.

Lakeside sadly is still there. Never been updated. Still a death trap of old warped wood and splinters. My sons school has a thing there every year and I refuse to go on the rides. Its was old and busted when I was a kid.

OrangeHoof
02-06-2015, 07:27 PM
I remember some of these places. Not totally sold on the profitability of drive-ins though.

Does remind me of an old Aggie joke:
"Heard about the Aggie couple they found froze to death at the drive-in theatre?"
"Yeah. They went to see 'Closed For Winter'".

MasterShake
02-06-2015, 10:32 PM
I remember some of these places. Not totally sold on the profitability of drive-ins though.

Does remind me of an old Aggie joke:
"Heard about the Aggie couple they found froze to death at the drive-in theatre?"
"Yeah. They went to see 'Closed For Winter'".

Well if vinyl records can make a comeback maybe this can too.

Valar Morghulis
02-07-2015, 02:51 AM
Would love to go to as drive in.

We don't have then in uk

DenBronx
02-07-2015, 05:20 PM
You aint watched a movie until you tried a luxury theater. There's one in Sparks, NV.

Valar Morghulis
02-07-2015, 05:22 PM
we have one in Newcastle (a luxury theatre), not been yet, however for 25 pounds - about 35 dollars, you get a couch to sit on, waitress service and basically as much food and drink as you like.

olathebroncofan
02-07-2015, 07:23 PM
We have one here in overland park called Cinetopia. They play movie trailers behind the guy who takes the tickets.

They have couches, sofas with attached tables, and unlike the AMC 30 here, all the food is served before the trailers start.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-08-2015, 10:13 AM
Did you guys have Keystone Pizzas in CO?

OrangeHoof
02-08-2015, 10:19 AM
We had Keystone Beer. Are you thinking of Tombstone Pizza?

DenBronx
02-08-2015, 07:48 PM
Prices are very reasonable and it's not overly crowded. Its more for adult than kids so you don't hear alot of chatter while watching the movie.

DenBronx
02-08-2015, 07:55 PM
More...

MasterShake
02-09-2015, 12:07 PM
More...

Looks really nice! My current favorite "luxury" (i.e. no Bullshit) movie experience in Colorado is the Alamo Drafthouse. Great ticket prices, special events, nearly every local craft beer on tap, and food service to your seat. Plus they play custom featurettes in front of each film instead of commercials. Like when we saw Man of Steel there we saw a bunch of weird clips like Bollywood Superman and weird crap like that. Plus their cellphone/talking policy is legendary. They took a customer complaint phone call and used the dumbass in a clip they play before the show:

1L3eeC2lJZs