PDA

View Full Version : This time Broncos' offseason plan will have more local flavor

Denver Native (Carol)
02-04-2015, 06:23 PM
some things from article:

ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – If the NFL Players Association’s salary-cap projections are close, or higher, than what the NFL’s management council has already projected for teams, the Denver Broncos will have enough room in 2015 to try to attack the long list of their own free agents and perhaps make a quality late signing or two to fill in the gaps.

But a splash like last year's is not in the cards this time around.

But this year, with 17 restricted and unrestricted free agents combined, the Broncos’ plan will have a more local feel than the last year’s when the Broncos simply let their highest-profile free agents head into the market without an offer from the team. Just after the Broncos hired Gary Kubiak as the franchise’s 15th coach last month, executive vice president of football operations/general manager John Elway more than hinted that this year, the team will be looking in-house first.

“We like our roster, we like where we are with the moves we’ve made," Elway said. “We’re always looking to improve and will bring in any player we think is an improvement over guys we have, but we have some of our own guys coming up, and we want to do what we can there."

full article - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/11810/this-time-broncos-offseason-plan-will-have-more-local-flavor

TXBRONC
02-04-2015, 06:38 PM
some things from article:

full article - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/11810/this-time-broncos-offseason-plan-will-have-more-local-flavor

I'm not surprised. Actually, I figured that Denver would look in house first.

Bronco9798
02-04-2015, 07:04 PM

As they should.

Lancane
02-04-2015, 08:08 PM

The biggest problem I see is the remaining cap. Not sure Clady will accept a restructure, and they dare not cut him with no real left tackles on the market. Ramirez and Caldwell are two who could be cut to trim the fat, there has been talk about trading Sylvester Williams but not that it clears that much and seems to be based on social media rumors then on anything solid. As I said, 10 million does not go very far in this league, the biggest relief for Denver would be if Manning decided not to return which clears an additional 16.5 for the season - they don't have much wiggle room this off-season.

underrated29
02-04-2015, 08:46 PM
The biggest problem I see is the remaining cap. Not sure Clady will accept a restructure, and they dare not cut him with no real left tackles on the market. Ramirez and Caldwell are two who could be cut to trim the fat, there has been talk about trading Sylvester Williams but not that it clears that much and seems to be based on social media rumors then on anything solid. As I said, 10 million does not go very far in this league, the biggest relief for Denver would be if Manning decided not to return which clears an additional 16.5 for the season - they don't have much wiggle room this off-season.

We can also drop about 2.5 cutting colquitt. With rahim and walkers 10mil off the books that has to increase our cap some. Q carter will be retired but he was still on rook salary. But I think it's ok as we won't have many positions that need a stud filled.

Lancane
02-04-2015, 09:02 PM
We can also drop about 2.5 cutting colquitt. With rahim and walkers 10mil off the books that has to increase our cap some. Q carter will be retired but he was still on rook salary. But I think it's ok as we won't have many positions that need a stud filled.

They may try to restructure Colquitt, and they could cut him but finding a replacement is not easy, which Elway found out this year in regards to place kickers. The Broncos, if the cap goes up to 142 million as projected will have a little over 22 million, Demaryius Thomas tagged would drop that to a shade under 10 million. Rahim and Walker do not effect that cap number (that is with both off the books), so it will not increase, nor will Quinton Carter who is a free agent as of the start of the NFL new year (and also not calculated in that figure).

underrated29
02-04-2015, 09:20 PM
They may try to restructure Colquitt, and they could cut him but finding a replacement is not easy, which Elway found out this year in regards to place kickers. The Broncos, if the cap goes up to 142 million as projected will have a little over 22 million, Demaryius Thomas tagged would drop that to a shade under 10 million. Rahim and Walker do not effect that cap number (that is with both off the books), so it will not increase, nor will Quinton Carter who is a free agent as of the start of the NFL new year (and also not calculated in that figure).

I like the kicker in my sig. I think he could be an ample replacement at a fraction of the cost.

Lancane
02-04-2015, 09:34 PM
I like the kicker in my sig. I think he could be an ample replacement at a fraction of the cost.

If Denver thinks they can replace Colquitt's production then it's quite possible; Ramirez and Caldwell are also two I see who are likely to be cut (4 million combined, add Colquitt's savings that is 6.5 - which would secure at least Knighton who only wants 5 years and 25 million - with some room of course. But as I said, this will be the toughest year for Elway as a G.M. because of the limitations, in-house free agents, etc. Not much to work with, of course unless Manning calls it quits, then Denver's cap space will go up 16.5 million, so they'd have close to 26 million, cut those players that is 32 million. So we'll just have to wait and see at this point, and debate...lol.

Jsteve01
02-05-2015, 05:58 PM
McManus was actually a very good punter in college. Problem solved

Denver Native (Carol)
02-05-2015, 06:18 PM
The Denver Broncos are still waiting for quarterback Peyton Manning to announce that he’s coming back for an 18th season. In the interim, they have a few decisions to make of their own.

One such decision is whether to re-sign, franchise tag or let tight end Julius Thomas test the open market. All indications are they will allow Thomas to become an unrestricted free agent in March, which would be a big mistake.

When healthy, Thomas is one of the most dangerous tight ends in football and particularly effective in the red zone. To let a player of Thomas’ caliber hit the market in his prime when the Broncos are trying to win a Super Bowl is a mistake that could end up coming back to haunt general manager John Elway—especially if Thomas were to go to a division rival or title contender.

When Thomas was healthy in 2014, the Broncos had one of the best passing games in football just as they did in 2013. Through 10 weeks, Manning had thrown 29 touchdowns and completed 68 percent of his passes for 2,912 yards. Thomas had 12 touchdowns and 423 yards by that point.

rest - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2354799-big-mistake-for-denver-broncos-to-let-julius-thomas-hit-open-market