PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning's decision boils down to two things

Denver Native (Carol)
02-04-2015, 12:12 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- When Denver Broncos quarterback Peyton Manning recently discussed his impending decision about whether he will return for the 2015 season, two things stood out.

The first is his ability to physically compete -- not survive, but compete -- and swing with the league's heavyweights. The second is how the Broncos explain how he fits into the plan with a new coaching staff during a pretty hearty rebuild of a 12-4 team.

Manning said Friday in Phoenix that he did not want his decision to be a "lingering thing," and it is best resolved "the sooner the better, for a lot of people."

Many in the league, including many inside the Broncos’ complex, see Manning making his decision within the next two weeks, a time frame that would account for postseason time off for the team's football staff. Manning said he wants to speak to John Elway when the executive vice president of football operations/general manager returns.

rest - some interesting stuff - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/11800/peyton-mannings-decision-boils-down-to-two-things

Joel
02-04-2015, 04:51 PM
If he's talking about announcing a decision BEFORE his annual physical, that doesn't sound good: The only binding decision he could make pre-physical is retirement. Maybe he's just thinking he'll come back PENDING the physical, but if not, he can announce whatever he likes before then; his career's still over if he doesn't pass the physical (not that I think he won't, but ya never know....)

Lancane
02-04-2015, 08:14 PM
If he's talking about announcing a decision BEFORE his annual physical, that doesn't sound good: The only binding decision he could make pre-physical is retirement. Maybe he's just thinking he'll come back PENDING the physical, but if not, he can announce whatever he likes before then; his career's still over if he doesn't pass the physical (not that I think he won't, but ya never know....)

That could mean that he wants to make his retirement statement on a bigger media stage then simply the podium at Dove Valley - I am sure that the Front Office will be informed before he announced anything one way or another. Also, his injury could be far more extensive and what he is hearing isn't good, that could effect not only the physical but his overall decision.

TXBRONC
02-05-2015, 09:55 AM
Whatever decision he makes will at minimum bring some sense of clarity to Denver's future at the quarterback position.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-05-2015, 10:37 AM
Vic LombardiVerified account ‏@VicLombardi

Quick Peyton update. He's not in town. I'm told he's working out on his own to evaluate where he stands physically. Decision by end of month

Buff
02-05-2015, 10:56 AM
Does anyone in the world believe that Manning is actually going to retire? One person?

BroncoJoe
02-05-2015, 10:57 AM
Does anyone in the world believe that Manning is actually going to retire? One person?

Believe? No. Hope? Different story...

TXBRONC
02-05-2015, 11:01 AM

Yeah I believe he will retire one day but I wouldn't bet it will be anytime in the nearby future.

tomjonesrocks
02-05-2015, 11:50 AM
Vegas has some sweet odds going if you bet on him retiring.

If anyone has inside info (VettesPlus' with his personal buddy Todd Helton I'm looking at you) now's the chance to make some sweet, sweet moolah.

Never mind--forgot he didn't need the cash...but for the rest of us...

BroncoWave
02-05-2015, 12:39 PM
That would be a great scheme. Leak to tie media the opposite of what you are going to do, tell some buddies your real decision, then let them bask in the cash.

Joel
02-06-2015, 03:21 AM
Yeah, scamming on Vegas has a great end game; just ask Bugsy Siegel—oh, wait: We can't.... ;)

vettesplus
02-06-2015, 11:07 AM
Vegas has some sweet odds going if you bet on him retiring.

If anyone has inside info (VettesPlus' with his personal buddy Todd Helton I'm looking at you) now's the chance to make some sweet, sweet moolah.

Never mind--forgot he didn't need the cash...but for the rest of us...

:throwrock:

pulse
02-06-2015, 11:26 AM
Manning will be the QB of the Denver Broncos in 2015. Whether you like that or not, the reason is pretty simple to me. He is a competitor and he loves playing football. Once he has fully healed from the quad injury, he's going to feel ready to play at a high level again. Which comes back around to the whole still feeling able to contribute. Though I know this story has a lot of people intrigued or on the edge of their seats, clearly, it's the future of the Broncos' QB situation, I still expect Peyton Manning to finish his contract. That's the other thing people are forgetting. He tends to fulfill his obligations. Unless he ends up suffering a career threatening injury, I don't see him retiring until he's seen this thing through. But hey, that's just me. Back to pondering your wagers.

TXBRONC
02-06-2015, 01:22 PM
Manning will be the QB of the Denver Broncos in 2015. Whether you like that or not, the reason is pretty simple to me. He is a competitor and he loves playing football. Once he has fully healed from the quad injury, he's going to feel ready to play at a high level again. Which comes back around to the whole still feeling able to contribute. Though I know this story has a lot of people intrigued or on the edge of their seats, clearly, it's the future of the Broncos' QB situation, I still expect Peyton Manning to finish his contract. That's the other thing people are forgetting. He tends to fulfill his obligations. Unless he ends up suffering a career threatening injury, I don't see him retiring until he's seen this thing through. But hey, that's just me. Back to pondering your wagers.

I think most people myself included are of the mindset he's coming back. However, I am concerned about his ability to stay healthy.

CoachChaz
02-06-2015, 01:25 PM
In the meantime...I wonder what Philly wants for Foles

Buff
02-06-2015, 01:27 PM

Why would we want an Osweiler clone?

BeefStew25
02-06-2015, 01:30 PM
How's this thread going? Are we eating our own?

Traveler
02-06-2015, 01:33 PM

Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm hoping he does. It's pretty evident he's done physically. The move to the ZBS doesn't seem like a great fit IMO, no matter what Kubiak and others are publically saying. If things fall the way I'd like, Manning, JT, Moore, Montgomery, Colquitt, Ramirez, Caldwell, and Welker don't return to the team. That would give a year headstart on fully committing to the new schemes for the offense and defense.

CoachChaz
02-06-2015, 01:53 PM
Why would we want an Osweiler clone?

I dont know. Maybe because he has a body of work that proves he is a capable NFL QB.

Buff
02-06-2015, 02:13 PM
I dont know. Maybe because he has a body of work that proves he is a capable NFL QB.

He has one good year and one big time regression year. Granted, he was battling injury - but I guess I don't really view him as an upgrade at this point... I'd rather take my chances on our tall 2nd rounder from Arizona as opposed to trying to acquire Philly's. He's basically the exact same QB as Osweiler in my mind.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-06-2015, 04:07 PM
Foles would be really good in Kubes system. I think I heard someone else is making a strong push for him....TN, HOU?

Ravage!!!
02-06-2015, 04:09 PM
I personally don't think Foles is that good. Not someone to trade for. Seems other QBs are already taking his job in Philly, or the coach is looking to replace him. That didn't take long.

Cugel
02-06-2015, 04:19 PM
Believe? No. Hope? Different story...

RaiderJoe is that you?

Lancane
02-06-2015, 04:31 PM
I personally don't think Foles is that good. Not someone to trade for. Seems other QBs are already taking his job in Philly, or the coach is looking to replace him. That didn't take long.

The coach wants to move on to an option orientated quarterback like his boy in the draft (:painkiller:). But the only way I could see Elway trading for Foles is if the Front Office really did not believe is Osweiler.

Northman
02-06-2015, 04:38 PM
The coach wants to move on to an option orientated quarterback like his boy in the draft (:painkiller:). But the only way I could see Elway trading for Foles is if the Front Office really did not believe is Osweiler.

Yea, personally i think Foles has done a good job in Philly but i have a feeling Kelly is just enamored with the hybrid's that he was used to coaching college. I think it would be a mistake for them to replace Foles but a coach wants what a coach wants.

Cugel
02-06-2015, 04:54 PM

Forget it. They want a draft pick they can use to pick Jameis Winston or Marcus Mariota, i.e. trade their #1 pick, plus Nick Foles, for one of the top 2 picks. Since their #20 pick is worth 850 points, and the #1 overall pick is worth 3000 points, they would need players + draft picks to make up the difference of 2,250 points.

Nick Foles would be worth some of that of course, but the Bucs might want an extra #1 draft pick and the Eagles, to protect themselves might make the deal contingent on Foles achieving certain targets (wins, TDs, starts, etc.) for the future #1 pick to kick in.

No way the Eagles trade Foles unless they get someone to replace him with this draft. And there are only 2 QBs in this weak draft class that excite any interest. So, getting one of them will require at least a top 5 pick, maybe the #2 overall pick if you want to assure yourself that another desperate team like the Jets don't move up ahead of you to grab your guy.

And all this is assuming that the Bucs don't fall in love with Mariota and decide to keep their pick (which is quite likely after all). Remember that teams scout these QBs so heavily that the tend to fall in love with them - just like the Titans did with Vince Young and the Raiders did with JaWalrus Russell.

Northman
02-06-2015, 05:05 PM
Word is the Bucs really like Winston. I dont see it but then again thats why they are the Bucs so no surprise there.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-06-2015, 05:07 PM
Word is the Bucs really like Winston. I dont see it but then again thats why they are the Bucs so no surprise there.

I have a hard time believing Lovie would have anything to do with drafting him. That smells like a smoke screen.

Northman
02-06-2015, 05:07 PM
I have a hard time believing Lovie would have anything to do with drafting him. That smells like a smoke screen.

For their sake i would hope so.

Lancane
02-06-2015, 05:09 PM
I am just glad we're not in a position for either of this year's top two quarterbacks, neither makes me excited whatsoever.

Northman
02-06-2015, 05:11 PM
I am just glad we're not in a position for either of this year's top two quarterbacks, neither makes me excited whatsoever.

Indeed, if worse comes to worse play Brock and just start taking best player available and build depth. Dont reach for a QB in this draft whatsoever.

Lancane
02-06-2015, 05:17 PM
Indeed, if worse comes to worse play Brock and just start taking best player available and build depth. Dont reach for a QB in this draft whatsoever.

This years quarterback class would equate to taking your wife or girlfriend to a Truck Stop Diner for a romantic dinner. Most of the menu looks like ****, one or two items might be good but in the end your not likely to get laid!

:laugh:

TXBRONC
02-06-2015, 09:10 PM

That something Denver fans can take comfort in. Elway has been pretty patient in the draft and doesn't seem take huge gambles.