PDA

View Full Version : Patriots' Super Bowl win had some Broncos fingerprints

Denver Native (Carol)
02-02-2015, 02:24 PM
GLENDALE, Ariz. – As the New England Patriots went about the business of patiently trying to move the ball against the Seattle Seahawks defense in Super Bowl XLIX, it was easy to see a little bit of September in the gameplan.

As in a little bit of the Denver Broncos’ work from Sept. 21 in CenturyLink Field when the Seahawks notched a 26-20 overtime victory in Week 3.

“You have two weeks and we watched about two years’ worth of games against them and you just try to accumulate as many ideas as you can that might help you gain some yards,’’ Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels said following the Patriots’ title win. "Look, they stopped us for a number of drives there in a row. I think it’s just a combination of trying to put our guys in a position to make plays and them going out there and making a bunch of big ones.’’

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/11791/patriots-super-bowl-win-had-some-broncos-fingerprints-on-it

silkamilkamonico
02-02-2015, 02:32 PM
The one thing I got from watching New England's offense throughout the course of the game was just how bad our coaching staff was at gameplanning and scheming other teams.

The coaches, Fox and Del Rio specifically, are really good at building stability in the walls of an organization, but they couldn't gameplan or scheme their way around a high school game.

tomjonesrocks
02-02-2015, 02:43 PM
The one thing I got from watching New England's offense throughout the course of the game was just how bad our coaching staff was at gameplanning and scheming other teams. The coaches, Fox and Del Rio specifically, are really good at building stability in the walls of an organization, but they couldn't gameplan or scheme their way around a high school game.

No doubt.

Not to mention I think Fox would have kneeled on that first half Seattle drive that tied the game. Don't risk an injury or interception! To the locker room!

Buff
02-02-2015, 02:49 PM
No doubt.

Not to mention I think Fox would have kneeled on that first half Seattle drive that tied the game. Don't risk an injury or interception! To the locker room!

As much as I dislike Pete Carrol's ego - that coaching move to throw a ball into the end zone with 6 seconds left in the 1st half was brilliant. Not only would Fox never consider that in a million years, but we wouldn't have driven that far down the field in the first place because we would have kneeled down and played not to lose.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-02-2015, 03:00 PM
from original article posted - the following are Legwold's points as to how the NE offense resembled the Broncos' offense against Seattle:

But then-Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase had almost an entire offseason, between the time the Seahawks blew out the Broncos in Super Bowl XLVIII, with the list of Broncos’ opponents for the 2014 season already in hand, to the game in September, to grind away at what to do against a defense that has put up historical numbers.

The result was, until Tom Brady’s 328 yards passing Sunday night against the Seahawks, the only other 300-yard passing game Seattle surrendered this season as Peyton Manning finished with 303 yards. And the Broncos’ plan in December revolved around patience, it revolved around trying to force the Seahawks defensive backs to leave their zones and then moving another receiver through the open space left behind.

In September, 29 of Manning’s 31 completions went for 20 or fewer yards as he threw the ball 49 times. Sunday night 33 of Brady’s 37 completions went for 20 or fewer yards as he threw the ball 50 times.

Brady targeted running backs or tight ends on 24 of his 50 attempts and those players made 19 of the 37 receptions. In September Manning leaned on wide receiver Emmanuel Sanders plenty – 11 catches for 149 yards – but the looks were similar, especially on tight end Jacob Tamme’s 26-yard touchdown catch up the left sideline in the closing seconds of regulation that sent the game to overtime.

http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/11791/patriots-super-bowl-win-had-some-broncos-fingerprints-on-it