PDA

View Full Version : Finally Mike

y2cragie
12-02-2007, 07:21 PM
Listening to Mike Shanahan on the radio interview, he actually sounds angry. He's threatening players with their jobs. Usually he just gives some sad sounding, oh well we'll get em next time.
It's about damn time he sounds upset.

Watchthemiddle
12-02-2007, 07:23 PM
Listening to Mike Shanahan on the radio interview, he actually sounds angry. He's threatening players with their jobs. Usually he just gives some sad sounding, oh well we'll get em next time.
It's about damn time he sounds upset.

I didn't catch it..but what did he say? If you could paraphrase without putting words in his mouth...is it on 850koa??

y2cragie
12-02-2007, 07:28 PM
He just basically said, if you dont play well you wont be on this team next season. And yup 850koa.
He just finally sounded really angry, there was a lot more bluntness in his tone.

Watchthemiddle
12-02-2007, 07:32 PM
He just basically said, if you dont play well you wont be on this team next season. And yup 850koa.
He just finally sounded really angry, there was a lot more bluntness in his tone.

So no names specifically...because he might as well wipe the slat clean of all 53 because none of them played well.

y2cragie
12-02-2007, 07:34 PM
No, there were no names specifically, but simply a case of the players playing for their jobs for next season. And I think he means no exceptions (my thoughts not his)

gobroncsnv
12-02-2007, 07:38 PM
Man, I would hope so... there is a lot left to do. Oline, Dline, LB...

champbronc2
12-02-2007, 07:40 PM
Anybody have the clip itself?

Or if it will be on the broncos home page?

y2cragie
12-02-2007, 07:41 PM
We're going to be just about as busy this offseason as we were last offseason.

I hope not, and I think Mike is hoping that this warning should be a wake up call. I dont see too many positions that need changing a lot. Injuries are killing us this year. You simply cant get a rythem going when you've got new faces in the huddle every week. It doesn't matter how good a player is, you need the team to be consistant and relaxed with each other to play well. Thats what happend in 2005, we had a lot of good but not star players, but they were so comfortable with each other, they could just play relaxed and know what each other was doing.
I can see the same with next years team, if they can just all remain healthy.

y2cragie
12-02-2007, 07:42 PM
Anybody have the clip itself?

Or if it will be on the broncos home page?

I dont know how it works, but I would imagine it'll be in the press conferance aswell. I have noticed he repeats a lot of his post game with Dave Logan, in the official PC.

ChampWJ
12-02-2007, 07:44 PM
We're going to be just about as busy this offseason as we were last offseason.

Because that worked out so great.

Watchthemiddle
12-02-2007, 07:48 PM
As much as I like Shanny, maybe he should fight for his job as well.

y2cragie
12-02-2007, 07:50 PM
I agree he should.
I dont like the idea of having a coach who's set in his job so doesn't put 100% into it. I keep hearing, "I failed to prepair the team properly for the game" from Mike. So that says he's not doing his job right. I want him in Denver, but only if he's going to have a team thats ready every single game. It's no use saying it after the game.

y2cragie
12-02-2007, 07:53 PM
I see what you mean when it comes to injuries, but really you think we're fine with our defensive front 7? According to PFW changes will be made with our defense. Bates' job will be safe but the personnel will change.

Scheme-wise, yes it would be wise to keep that part settled.

I'd like to see them either draft or bring in a true all rounder at DT. But I think we are set with Moss, Dumervil and Thomas. Elvis has been showing this season he can be an any down and every down back, and still be effective. It's tough with Moss' injury to say with him, but at least he comes into next year with experience under his belt. So what we need really is depth thats solid otherwise. Engleberger is doing alright, but otherwise a house clean out there wouldn't be so bad.

y2cragie
12-02-2007, 07:59 PM
As far as sam adams is concerned, I couldn't care less if that fat waste of space is gone at the end. He's done less than his worth. Caused several penalties through his inability to run off the field.

DenBronx
12-02-2007, 09:54 PM
mike might be talking about travis henry. if he wins his case its possbile he might be cut anyway. his salary has been on the bench all season and when he has played its been average. we have hungrier young guys coming off the bench making plays and henrys salary could help us get a guy like faneca or a good linebacker.

i think some big names are gonna get the boot this offseason.

arapaho2
12-02-2007, 09:59 PM
well i think shanny needs to start the fireing with himself as vice president of football operations , then dinger and his weak offense ,then bates and his miserable defensive scheme.....before he pushes the blame on the players...he is the coach the friggen head coach and his team is ill prepared week in and week out, whos fault is that? we cannot adjust to what the other team is doing on either side of the ball...whos fault is that?

Broncos Mtnman
12-02-2007, 10:04 PM
Three things...

1) Talk is cheap. I'm not anymore impressed with Shanny's "threats" than I am with his "character" comments. He should take a look at some of his coaches too.

2) If he said this, I'm actually sad about it, because that means he's written off the season and will be using the rest of this year to evaluate players.

3) It's about 12 weeks too late.

DenBronx
12-02-2007, 10:14 PM
Three things...

1) Talk is cheap. I'm not anymore impressed with Shanny's "threats" than I am with his "character" comments. He should take a look at some of his coaches too.

2) If he said this, I'm actually sad about it, because that means he's written off the season and will be using the rest of this year to evaluate players.

3) It's about 12 weeks too late.

yeah but at this point theres really nothing left for him to do. he's not the one out there fumbling the ball or throwing the pick. it really falls back onto the athletes. they are getting paid to win and play at a high level. this team has no hreat whatsoever. the only guys ive seen with a little fire are cutler and bmarsh. i thinks shannys pissed off because he knows this team had so many chances and they blew it. coaches get paid to coach but players get paid to play and they are not playing good.

topscribe
12-02-2007, 10:17 PM
I'd like to see them either draft or bring in a true all rounder at DT. But I think we are set with Moss, Dumervil and Thomas. Elvis has been showing this season he can be an any down and every down back, and still be effective. It's tough with Moss' injury to say with him, but at least he comes into next year with experience under his belt. So what we need really is depth thats solid otherwise. Engleberger is doing alright, but otherwise a house clean out there wouldn't be so bad.

Well, the Broncos are set if Ekuban recovers completely. He was the run-
stopping LDE they were counting on, and his performance in the last half of
the season last year indicated he was going to be a good one. I believe if
they add a DT or two and a MLB that is good enough to send D.J. over to
WLB, where he can be one of the best in the league, IMO, there would be a
tremendous difference in run support.

The problem with the Broncos' running game is they did not have the luxury
to pound and pound because turnovers got the game out of hand. But with
a stiff defense, the game would not have gotten out of hand, even with the
turnovers.

It really hurt to see one analyst refer to Denver's "weak defense." Even in
the doormat days of the 1960s, Denver had a salty defense . . . it was the
offense that stunk. Oakland has one of the better pass defenses in the
league; how could Cutler & co. have a chance if they are trying to dig
themselves out of a hole for the entire game?

I think Mikey had better be more than angry. I think he had better work
himself into a rage. Either that or get a Mike Ditka or someone like that to
start kicking some butts into line.

-----

ChampWJ
12-02-2007, 10:37 PM
and that's not the point...:rolleyes:

But yeah, lets not change anything. Sam Adams, lets bring him back in the name of continuity!

:balloons:

I know Nas, I think I didn't state what I meant well enough. What I intended to say was we all want so much change to occur, and we wanted that last offseason too. The problem is our player personnel evaluators haven't done a good job in the past, so why should we be hoping for any drastic improvements even if we do overhaul the roster like last season?

I don't believe in continuity if what you have isn't working, however I don't believe in bringing in a bunch of new free agents when we don't have a great track record with that, and then we'll get to listen to the excuse all next season that "we're waiting for all the new players to gel and get on the same page". I'm tired of the excuses.

BroncoWave
12-02-2007, 10:49 PM
Well Mikey, you got angry about 5 quarters too late! :tsk:

lex
12-02-2007, 11:20 PM
Do you guys actually think it matters that you finally know he is mad about it? Dont you think he has been seeing the same stuff for much of the year? Just because you finally learn of these comments, it doesnt mean the stuff that youre mad about has been ignored up until now.

topscribe
12-02-2007, 11:23 PM
Do you guys actually think it matters that you finally know he is mad about it? Dont you think he has been seeing the same stuff for much of the year? Just because you finally learn of these comments, it doesnt mean the stuff that youre mad about has been ignored up until now.

This is a discussion board. I doubt that much of anything we have to say here
makes much of a difference in policy or performance among the team. But we
are here to discuss it, aren't we? :noidea:

-----

lex
12-02-2007, 11:30 PM
This is a discussion board. I doubt that much of anything we have to say here
makes much of a difference in policy or performance among the team. But we
are here to discuss it, aren't we? :noidea:

-----

Yeah, its a discussion board and thats why in the course of discussion Im pointing out that its dumb for people to take away the kind of meaning thats being kicked around.

topscribe
12-02-2007, 11:31 PM
Yeah, its a discussion board and thats why in the course of discussion Im pointing out that its dumb for people to take away the kind of meaning thats being kicked around.

Well, that's an opinion, too. No problem with that. :smile:

-----

Tned
12-02-2007, 11:38 PM
mike might be talking about travis henry. if he wins his case its possbile he might be cut anyway. his salary has been on the bench all season and when he has played its been average. we have hungrier young guys coming off the bench making plays and henrys salary could help us get a guy like faneca or a good linebacker.

i think some big names are gonna get the boot this offseason.

If he wins his case, I don't think the Broncos can afford to release him. They guaranteed him something like 12 million, and have only paid him a fraction of that. They would take a pretty big cap hit if they released him.

Crush05
12-03-2007, 12:07 AM
Well as a buddy of mine has stated before. It not only has to do with players, but what about promoting coaches from within. I agree with my buddies opinion on this. Some of this good ole boy promote a coach from within to where they have no right to be is a mistake. We need to get some real coaching talent. Keep Mike and let us spend some money on more coaching talent and we will see a change.

Stargazer
12-03-2007, 12:16 AM

A loss to the Bears, and the way it went down was bad and dropped the team to 5-6. But, a loss today dropped Denver to 5-7 with no chance now of making the playoffs. Today was a division & conference loss which really hurts in the run to make the playoffs. Shanny knew going in today he had to win the rest of the games to make the playoffs whether it's winning the division or wild card. He should be angry and pissed off. The season ended today.

Lonestar
12-03-2007, 02:02 AM

Add crowder to the list and ekuban.

What this teams needs most is a Hanesworth type DT one and another biggie in the draft to rotate with Thomas and hanesworth.

Once that DL does its job, and it has not been for almost a decade everyone on the D gets better because they are not cleaning up the DLines mess.

Remember guys we are transitioning form a LB based D to a DLINE based D. Coyer was a LB coach forever and Bates built all of his teams starting with a huge clogger.

Lonestar
12-03-2007, 02:10 AM
If he wins his case, I don't think the Broncos can afford to release him. They guaranteed him something like 12 million, and have only paid him a fraction of that. They would take a pretty big cap hit if they released him.

I think he will lose it and when he does I'm sure that there is a clause in it to recover signing bonuses.

The NFL had no reason to postpone until tomorrow unless it would have affected the game today giving DEN disadvantage..

Had it been good news they would have announced in FRIDAY.

Tned
12-03-2007, 07:48 AM
I think he will lose it and when he does I'm sure that there is a clause in it to recover signing bonuses.

The NFL had no reason to postpone until tomorrow unless it would have affected the game today giving DEN disadvantage..

Had it been good news they would have announced in FRIDAY.

Well, my response was to someone saying he would be cut regardless. In that case I know the Broncos get slammed on their $12 million guaranteed.

As to whether or not he is suspended. Everything I have read about the CBA says there could have been no agreement in place (the CBA forbids side agreements of this type) to get money fefunded from Henry, but hopefully, there is some clause that I am not familiar with.

topscribe
12-03-2007, 11:04 AM
Add crowder to the list and ekuban.

What this teams needs most is a Hanesworth type DT one and another biggie in the draft to rotate with Thomas and hanesworth.

Once that DL does its job, and it has not been for almost a decade everyone on the D gets better because they are not cleaning up the DLines mess.

Remember guys we are transitioning form a LB based D to a DLINE based D. Coyer was a LB coach forever and Bates built all of his teams starting with a huge clogger.

I think if the team did that, we would be amazed at how the linebackers have improved.

-----

Mike
12-03-2007, 11:15 AM
As to whether or not he is suspended. Everything I have read about the CBA says there could have been no agreement in place (the CBA forbids side agreements of this type) to get money fefunded from Henry, but hopefully, there is some clause that I am not familiar with.

I believe that I heard that it is a conduct clause. I believe that the Mike Vick ruling established the precedent of player conduct opening up the possibility for teams going after money. Whether that is true or not...:noidea:

If we can't get rid of him without hurting the cap then we have to keep him. Same with Graham. Nothing either of these two guys have done this season merits the amount of money that Denver paid them. :tsk:

Skinny
12-03-2007, 12:39 PM
Some of this good ole boy promote a coach from within to where they have no right to be is a mistake. We need to get some real coaching talent.I could'nt agree more Crush.

Watchthemiddle
12-03-2007, 01:02 PM
I believe that I heard that it is a conduct clause. I believe that the Mike Vick ruling established the precedent of player conduct opening up the possibility for teams going after money. Whether that is true or not...:noidea:

If we can't get rid of him without hurting the cap then we have to keep him. Same with Graham. Nothing either of these two guys have done this season merits the amount of money that Denver paid them. :tsk:

I would add Bly to that mix of players that haven't lived up to their billing also. HE is just too inconsistent for me.

If people didn't think this current season was a re-building year, just wait until next season. We might be seeing a ton of new guys in here and a lot of current faces gone. Oh wait...thats no different then previous years.

Lonestar
12-03-2007, 02:30 PM
Well, my response was to someone saying he would be cut regardless. In that case I know the Broncos get slammed on their $12 million guaranteed.

I was trying to clarify what the possible scenarios might be for others on the forum.. Your post just seemed to dovetail together on it more than others did..

Lonestar
12-03-2007, 02:32 PM

Actually I think the precedent here was Ricky Williams..

Lonestar
12-03-2007, 02:38 PM
I would add Bly to that mix of players that haven't lived up to their billing also. HE is just too inconsistent for me.

If people didn't think this current season was a re-building year, just wait until next season. We might be seeing a ton of new guys in here and a lot of current faces gone. Oh wait...thats no different then previous years.

I was gonna jump on Bly but you beat me to it..

For all that argued this was not a rebuilding year.

Ahahahahaha.

I think most of the starters are pretty much set for next year, except perhaps WLB, what hey are gonna need to come up with are quality backups ans they will get OJT..

Name a someone on Offense that will not be that much better next year? Maybe ORG they seem to be on a carosel on that spot. But everone else is getting that OJT this year for the next few games..

Mike
12-03-2007, 04:49 PM

I am not so quick to toss Bly aside. Granted, I do agree that they paid him too much. However, until we get a decent pass rush it is hard to judge the CBs.

tireman357
12-03-2007, 05:03 PM
So no names specifically...because he might as well wipe the slat clean of all 53 because none of them played well.

I think marshall played very well. I also thought that young was really fighting for yard for the most part.

tireman357
12-03-2007, 05:05 PM
I am not so quick to toss Bly aside. Granted, I do agree that they paid him too much. However, until we get a decent pass rush it is hard to judge the CBs.
You said it. I mean we all know that champ kicks azz but look at his stats this year. Bly is not or will never be champ but who else could we get that is any better?? I think he has done a good job this year.