PDA

View Full Version : Pot Roast- Re-Sign Him or Let Him Walk?

Ziggy
01-30-2015, 07:45 PM
Wade's one gap version of the 3-4 calls for a smaller quicker nose tackle. Sylvester Williams fits the prototype, and the Broncos just used a first round pick on him 2 years ago. Is it time to see if we can get maximum return on our investment, and spend the money it would take to sign Pot Roast elsewhere? Or do we bring back the big fella and let Wade adapt the defense to him?

On one hand-
Knighton is 28 years old and playing the best ball of his career.
He eats up double teams as well as anyone in the league.
He moves well for a 350 pounder.

On the other hand-
He seems to disappear in the big games.
He's become more of a two down player.
He's probably going to command 7-8 million per year to retain.
He's made it very clear through his twitter that he'd be more than happy to play in Oakland.

What say you?

Ziggy
01-30-2015, 07:48 PM
I say let him walk. Move Sly to the nose. He fits better there in Wade's aggressive one gap 3-4 defense. Use that 6-8 million towards an offensive lineman like Iupati or Bulaga.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-30-2015, 07:55 PM
Where does all of this talk about Sly being our starting nose come from? He couldn't even keep his starting job as the 3-tech.

Ziggy
01-30-2015, 08:01 PM
Where does all of this talk about Sly being our starting nose come from? He couldn't even keep his starting job as the 3-tech.

There's a guy named Wade Phillips. Elway and Kubiak just made him our defensive coordinator. He likes to use smaller quicker 3-4 nose tackles than your prototypical ones. Here's a tutorial by that same guy.
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/596348-Wade-Phillips-Explains-His-3-4-Defense

Feel free to watch. It's free.

CrazyHorse
01-30-2015, 08:02 PM
Keep him but don't overpay. We need to draft a DT among other things.

Jsteve01
01-30-2015, 08:17 PM

There's a guy named Wade Phillips. Elway and Kubiak just made him our defensive coordinator. He likes to use smaller quicker 3-4 nose tackles than your prototypical ones. Here's a tutorial by that same guy.
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/596348-Wade-Phillips-Explains-His-3-4-Defense

Feel free to watch. It's free.. I think you're overstating his propensity for smaller nose guards. He mentioned ted Washington and Jamal Williams both of whom were huge

Buff
01-30-2015, 08:45 PM
. I think you're overstating his propensity for smaller nose guards. He mentioned ted Washington and Jamal Williams both of whom were huge

Yeah, my takeaway from the video is that he'll cater the scheme to his player's talents. He even made it sound like it was an added luxury with Washington to be able to line him up over the center but still have him cover the A gap. Having a massive, agile, space eater like Knighton is an added luxury in a 3-4. He fits that bill of a Washington or a Williams type.

I'm more bullish on him now with the switch to the 3-4 than I was previously. I like T-Knight. I think he's been the key to our run stopping the last couple years, and he's 29 not 32, so he might have one more contract in him.

Joel
01-30-2015, 08:47 PM
Keep him but don't overpay. We need to draft a DT among other things.
This is where I am; I'd like more poll options than just a flat yea or nay. Also, the biggest thing making him a two-down player is that he stuffs the run so WELL on those downs 3rd down is usually a long passing down, so we're in nickel or dime even more than we otherwise would be (which is still plenty.) That means emphasizing the pass to the almost total exclusion of the run, so Sly takes Knightons normal spot for the same reason Wolfe/Jackson slides in from DE to UT and Miller puts his hand down to play DE instead of SLB.

As far as disappearing in big games: He's a NT. No one's gonna beat lots of double teams from starting NFL linemen, but as long as he's drawing them he's doing his job; the question is why aren't all the guys that gives free shots making plays as intended? Still and so, ending NEs season and sending us to the SB was definitely a big game appearance.

It's also vital to remember we need a backup NT nearly as good as the starter and a third nearly as good as the backup, because pretty much EVERY 3-4 NT is a two-down player one way or another. "Smaller quicker" is a very relative term for any DT, but especially a 3-4 NT; we're still talking someone near or above 320 playing the most physically demanding and punishing defensive position: Almost no one can do that all game, so unless we want a big hole in the midde of our D when the starter's tired or hurt, we need a pretty good rotational reliever; it's not as simple as "we got The Guy; we're set."

So if he'll stay for reasonable money (however defined) we should pay it. Any proven FA of comparable ability will cost comparable money, and the draft's too much of a crap shoot to count on a rookie as the starting lynchpin of our whole D. But if he demands the key to Ft. Knox, there are other options on the team and probably in FA that wouldn't leave us naked even if we can't find a good replacement in the draft.

Since we're all but certain to go 3-4 though, the two places we don't dare cheap out are NT and OLB, because those are the 3-4s keys: If it lacks playmakers there, it can't have many elsewhere.

TXBRONC
01-30-2015, 08:59 PM
Wade's one gap version of the 3-4 calls for a smaller quicker nose tackle. Sylvester Williams fits the prototype, and the Broncos just used a first round pick on him 2 years ago. Is it time to see if we can get maximum return on our investment, and spend the money it would take to sign Pot Roast elsewhere? Or do we bring back the big fella and let Wade adapt the defense to him?

On one hand-
Knighton is 28 years old and playing the best ball of his career.
He eats up double teams as well as anyone in the league.
He moves well for a 350 pounder.

On the other hand-
He seems to disappear in the big games.
He's become more of a two down player.
He's made it very clear through his twitter that he'd be more than happy to play in Oakland.

What say you?

That's not what Phillips said about the nose tackle in his version 3-4. He said he's used both in his system.

Simple Jaded
01-30-2015, 09:46 PM
If Wade has used both kinds of NTs give him both kinds of NTs. Btw, I think Potroast is just as quick of the ball aand agile s Williams.

Timmy!
01-30-2015, 10:00 PM
Its gonna come down to $$$$$. If he gets a giant offer elsewhere (which I think will happen) the Broncos probably won't, and likely shouldn't, match it.

tomjonesrocks
01-30-2015, 10:04 PM
He's gone.

UnderArmour
01-30-2015, 10:05 PM
Disappears in big games? He dominated the AFC Championship game last year, I don't really know what you're talking about.

Lancane
01-30-2015, 10:15 PM
IMHO I believe he should be Denver's top priority in Free Agency, and he said he'd take less to stay in Denver...so we'll see.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-30-2015, 10:21 PM
I'm not holding my breath that Phillips will get more out of Sly than Del Rio did. Look what Jack did with Malik and Knighton.

Simple Jaded
01-30-2015, 10:24 PM
IMHO I believe he should be Denver's top priority in Free Agency, and he said he'd take less to stay in Denver...so we'll see.

You mean after DT is franchised?

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-30-2015, 10:37 PM
You mean after DT is franchised?

Yeah, I'm not sure why Lancane is down on DT. He's easily a top 5 receiver and is the most dominant wideout to ever play for the Broncos.

Ziggy
01-30-2015, 11:34 PM
Disappears in big games? He dominated the AFC Championship game last year, I don't really know what you're talking about.

I'm talking about the Super Bowl last year and the playoff game this year.

Ziggy
01-30-2015, 11:36 PM
. I think you're overstating his propensity for smaller nose guards. He mentioned ted Washington and Jamal Williams both of whom were huge

He will use them if they are on the roster and adjust his defense to fit them. He'll do the same thing if we re-sign Pot Roast. It doesn't mean that he prefers them.

WARHORSE
01-30-2015, 11:39 PM

That was last year. This year he reverted to "Pot Roast" mode.

VonDoom
01-30-2015, 11:40 PM
I'm kind of torn on Knighton. As people are saying, it will come down to money, so I'm curious as to how it shakes out. If they can't or won't re-sign him, I'd be interested to see what Phillips can do with Sly. But I'm guessing he's not the only option. If Pot Roast leaves, we'll need another NT anyway. How about BJ Raji? I'm thinking he'll come cheaper but he could work in this system.

On a somewhat related note, I think Wolfe is going to have a big year in our new defense.

CoachChaz
01-30-2015, 11:52 PM
If only I had a nickel for every time I've heard or read the phrase, "I think Wolfe is going to have a big year."

TXBRONC
01-31-2015, 12:39 AM
He will use them if they are on the roster and adjust his defense to fit them. He'll do the same thing if we re-sign Pot Roast. It doesn't mean that he prefers them.

He actually played pretty well in both games.

Jsteve01
01-31-2015, 01:58 AM
Schematically Jack's DT's have been two gap style players. He loves the old school huge tackle stout LE and nasty RE and prefers to rush 4. His tackles are primarily supposed to keep his backers clean so it really doesn't surprise me at all that Sly and Knighton put up seemingly pedestrian numbers this year. Ask Danny, Brandon and shoot even Davis and Jackson what their opinion is of our tackles.

Jsteve01
01-31-2015, 02:03 AM
He will use them if they are on the roster and adjust his defense to fit them. He'll do the same thing if we re-sign Pot Roast. It doesn't mean that he prefers them. Ziggy you and I typically agree on most stuff football, but your assertion in your original post was that he prefers a smaller penetrating NT. I think he'll live with them, but if he can get a big active behemoth I think that's his preference. My big take away from that video was just how much he fits the scheme and assignment to the player. I love that vs some of he junk we've seen over the years.

Jsteve01
01-31-2015, 02:07 AM
If only I had a nickel for every time I've heard or read the phrase, "I think Wolfe is going to have a big year." Flip side is he was coming off a season ending health condition and with the addition of Ware had even more gap and contain responsibility than before. Everyone is raving about Jackson who only had 1.5 more sacks than Wolfe and never started over him. I'm excited. You at one point questioned whether he ever he would ever lace them up again. John Harris in his blog during the Broncos Texan practices stated that Wolfe and his ability to take on multiple blockers was hugely valuable to this defense. Even went so far as to call him the most underrated player on this defense

Ziggy
01-31-2015, 04:29 AM

Feel free to watch. It's free.

I just re-read that and it came off snotty as can be. I apologize Al.

Valar Morghulis
01-31-2015, 04:48 AM
Terrence should be retained if he wants to stay - and get a pay day. If he just wants a pay day, or his heart is in Oakland, let him walk.

Players like knighton are only as useful as they are motivated

Ziggy
01-31-2015, 05:08 AM
Wade has never coached a defense with anywhere near this much talent. 2 elite pass rushers. 2-3 very good cover corners. 1 pro bowl safety. The highest rated cover linebacker in the league (per pff). Add Elway's usual upgrades, and Wade has to be licking his chops with this roster. I'm excited to see what our young Dlineman can do in a one gap system.

DenBronx
01-31-2015, 05:08 AM
If only I had a nickel for every time I've heard or read the phrase, "I think Wolfe is going to have a big year."

I know right? There comes a time when fans need to be honest and just say some of these guys are nothing more than average players.

Ziggy
01-31-2015, 05:10 AM
Terrence should be retained if he wants to stay - and get a pay day. If he just wants a pay day, or his heart is in Oakland, let him walk.

Players like knighton are only as useful as they are motivated

There's the other side of the coin. He's already been fined 300k for weight issues on a modest (by NFL standards) salary. What happens when the fines don't really mean much with a big salary?

BigDaddyBronco
01-31-2015, 05:47 AM

He was pretty damn good in the SuperBowl as well.

Valar Morghulis
01-31-2015, 06:58 AM
He was pretty damn good in the SuperBowl as well.

Yup agreed. But rotten in this years divisional round - which is the most recent memory, maybe that is influencing people's view

Ravage!!!
01-31-2015, 11:05 AM
I think Pot Roast became a BIGGER "must sign" after signing Wade as the DC.

tomjonesrocks
01-31-2015, 11:14 AM
I think Pot Roast became a BIGGER "must sign" after signing Wade as the DC.

He's already said he wants to play for JDR in no uncertain terms. I'm holding out little hope he can be brought back.

Ravage!!!
01-31-2015, 11:19 AM
He's already said he wants to play for JDR in no uncertain terms. I'm holding out little hope he can be brought back.

He didn't say it as if "I'm going to sign with JDR no matter what"... he said it in a way that means he likes JDR. That was also before signing Phillips as our DC. It sounds great to say "I will follow my DC no matter where he goes".. because that shows support for that coach. But at the same time he has to be saying "ugh, he went to Oakland."

OrangeHoof
01-31-2015, 01:10 PM

That's why I would let him walk and put Sly on the nose. Nothing personal. Great player.

broncofaninfla
01-31-2015, 01:22 PM
I'd like to keep him but not if he breaks the bank. I trust Elway and company will make the right call.

Northman
01-31-2015, 01:36 PM
Cant keep everybody. Denver isnt made of money.

Lancane
01-31-2015, 06:58 PM
Cant keep everybody. Denver isnt made of money.

True, of course this is moot if Manning does not return...Denver will be able to sign all their free agents...lol. I kid, I kid.

Lancane
01-31-2015, 07:11 PM
In the end it will depend on what he is demanding, if he demands Suh, Ngata and McCoy type money then let him walk, sort of how I see it with J. Thomas and D. Thomas, I'd love for them to all remain Broncos but they are not worth it if they want that huge payday. I think they'll offer him closer to 5 or 6 million a season to be honest, then we'll see how much he really wants to stay or he can go to Oakland who overpays everybody.

dogfish
01-31-2015, 07:25 PM

and then he said this, two days after del taco was announced in oakland. . .

"I have made it clear that I want to be here (Denver). I know I might not be their top priority because of all (the team's other free agents). I am comfortable here. I love the city. I love the fans, and I love the organization," Knighton told The Denver Post Friday. "And I love the fact that (general manager) John Elway puts together a championship-caliber roster every year. Being in Jacksonville, I know what it's like on the other end of the spectrum. With team success comes player success. Me being happy is way more important than money."

and. . .

"The loss is another reason why I want to be back in Denver. We owe the city and the fans a championship."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27334114/terrance-knighton-wants-return-broncos-valuing-happiness-over

the guy isn't stupid. . . who wants to move to oakland and play for that putrid organization when they're currently living in beautiful denver, and playing for the class of the division? don't ship the dude to the raiders just yet. . . granted, i'm sure it will come down to the money to some extent-- that's natural, and understandable. . . i don't see why we can't keep him if our FO really wants to, though. . .

TXBRONC
02-01-2015, 09:30 AM

He has not said that.

underrated29
02-01-2015, 10:37 AM
I'd def like to keep him. I think his snaps go up in the 34

Northman
02-01-2015, 12:01 PM
and then he said this, two days after del taco was announced in oakland. . .

and. . .

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27334114/terrance-knighton-wants-return-broncos-valuing-happiness-over

the guy isn't stupid. . . who wants to move to oakland and play for that putrid organization when they're currently living in beautiful denver, and playing for the class of the division? don't ship the dude to the raiders just yet. . . granted, i'm sure it will come down to the money to some extent-- that's natural, and understandable. . . i don't see why we can't keep him if our FO really wants to, though. . .

Yea, he said the latter things after taking some heat from the fanbase. At this point im not really sure what to believe as he flip flops on his comments pretty easily.

Ziggy
02-01-2015, 04:06 PM
Yea, he said the latter things after taking some heat from the fanbase. At this point im not really sure what to believe as he flip flops on his comments pretty easily.

Yeah I think his agent probably gave him a call after his comments about JDR and Oakland. He seems to have completely changed his tune. There's no telling what his true feelings are.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
02-01-2015, 06:33 PM
If we're not bringing back JT, would have to think Pot Roast would be the priority after DT.

Simple Jaded
02-01-2015, 11:51 PM
If we're not bringing back JT, would have to think Pot Roast would be the priority after DT.

I would assume that JT is still above Pot Raost in priority, I think it'd simply come down to who is easier to get done.

Lancane
02-02-2015, 12:32 AM
I would assume that JT is still above Pot Raost in priority, I think it'd simply come down to who is easier to get done.

Knighton recently tweeted that if he got offered a five year 35 million dollar deal and Denver offered him a five year 25 million dollar deal, he'd stay in Denver. That is 5 million a year and about what I thought he'd be worth, if I was John I'd be getting the contract done.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-02-2015, 01:36 AM
Somebody is gonna overpay for JT and it better not freaking be us.

Ziggy
02-02-2015, 11:06 AM
Knighton recently tweeted that if he got offered a five year 35 million dollar deal and Denver offered him a five year 25 million dollar deal, he'd stay in Denver. That is 5 million a year and about what I thought he'd be worth, if I was John I'd be getting the contract done.

He's been fined 300k for weight issues without a big contract. What's going to happen when the money doesn't matter as much? Pot Roast may just be a guy that eats himself out of the league. Do you give him that nice fat contract until he's 34? I'll be interested to see what John does.

Lancane
02-02-2015, 11:10 AM
He's been fined 300k for weight issues without a big contract. What's going to happen when the money doesn't matter as much? Pot Roast may just be a guy that eats himself out of the league. Do you give him that nice fat contract until he's 34? I'll be interested to see what John does.

Remember Gilbert the massive Defensive Tackle for Green Bay? He had a similar issue, but if the Packers did not pay him they would not have gotten a Lombardi with Farve. And despite the fines, it's really not that big of a deal - there are bigger players then him, the team wants him at a stable weight which is not easy to maintain for a big man.

Ziggy
02-02-2015, 11:19 AM
Remember Gilbert the massive Defensive Tackle for Green Bay? He had a similar issue, but if the Packers did not pay him they would not have gotten a Lombardi with Farve. And despite the fines, it's really not that big of a deal - there are bigger players then him, the team wants him at a stable weight which is not easy to maintain for a big man.

The difference is, he was a critical component to their D. With Wade's system, he can make it work with a smaller NT like Sly. I like Pot Roast. I just don't think he's a must re-sign. I'd rather put that money towards the Oline with a guy like Iupati or Bulaga.

Lancane
02-02-2015, 11:33 AM
The difference is, he was a critical component to their D. With Wade's system, he can make it work with a smaller NT like Sly. I like Pot Roast. I just don't think he's a must re-sign. I'd rather put that money towards the Oline with a guy like Iupati or Bulaga.

Why? Elway hopes to re-sign Orlando Franklin who wants to stay in Denver and retire a Bronco, Louis Vasquez is still under contract as is Ryan Clady. It's already been noted that they plan to go after Derek Newton, the starting right tackle from Houston. We get that there are offensive line issues, but if people think they'll go after Iupati or Bulaga over Franklin who would stay for less and wants to stay, then they're nuts. Also, Phillips can use smaller nose tackles, which Sly is not. He'll bee starting at the end position unless absolutely needed inside and 5 million a season for a starting nose tackle is freaking cheap.

underrated29
02-02-2015, 12:31 PM
Knighton wants to win a championship. He will play his ass off for us, paid or not.

Im undecided about Franklin in the ZBS. I know we are rumored for the houston RT. I do not see any way possible SFO lets Iupati go. I just dont. But he would be priority #1 in FA to bring in.

TXBRONC
02-02-2015, 04:30 PM
Knighton wants to win a championship. He will play his ass off for us, paid or not.

Im undecided about Franklin in the ZBS. I know we are rumored for the houston RT. I do not see any way possible SFO lets Iupati go. I just dont. But he would be priority #1 in FA to bring in.

Franklin will be fine in a zone blocking scheme.

Buff
02-02-2015, 06:23 PM
Franklin will be fine in a zone blocking scheme.

Schlereth is convinced that Franklin can't play and is a terrible lineman. I genuinely am not sure how to reconcile that against PFF who says he can play. I tend to trust Schlereth's opinion as it relates to OL.

Ziggy
02-02-2015, 06:34 PM
Why? Elway hopes to re-sign Orlando Franklin who wants to stay in Denver and retire a Bronco, Louis Vasquez is still under contract as is Ryan Clady. It's already been noted that they plan to go after Derek Newton, the starting right tackle from Houston. We get that there are offensive line issues, but if people think they'll go after Iupati or Bulaga over Franklin who would stay for less and wants to stay, then they're nuts. Also, Phillips can use smaller nose tackles, which Sly is not. He'll bee starting at the end position unless absolutely needed inside and 5 million a season for a starting nose tackle is freaking cheap.

Show me a single link that provides any evidence of this. Are you referring to the article on the fatman site that says it would make sense to go after Newton? It may happen, but no one in the Broncos organization has mentioned it. You're speculating.
Iupati is far more mobile than Franklin, and when healthy is far better. He's a great fit in the ZBS. Franklin may or may not work in it.

Lancane
02-02-2015, 06:55 PM
Show me a single link that provides any evidence of this. Are you referring to the article on the fatman site that says it would make sense to go after Newton? It may happen, but no one in the Broncos organization has mentioned it. You're speculating.
Iupati is far more mobile than Franklin, and when healthy is far better. He's a great fit in the ZBS. Franklin may or may not work in it.

I don't go to the fatman site, I am referring to what I am hearing...it's all speculation till it happens. (I could toot my horn at this moment and Zigs you know I'd have the right to - but I won't). As for Iupati, he's far more mobile in your mind, Franklin is an athletic freak for his size, he F'n ice skates for crying out loud which is difficult, especially given someone who is a big man and he's always been known for his footwork. You do know that most analysts have Franklin ranked higher then Iupati on the Free Agent list correct?

TXBRONC
02-02-2015, 07:06 PM
Schlereth is convinced that Franklin can't play and is a terrible lineman. I genuinely am not sure how to reconcile that against PFF who says he can play. I tend to trust Schlereth's opinion as it relates to OL.

I tend trust what he says too but given that a reputable source says he played well by their measurements I don't agree with Schlereth on this one. Franklin may not suited to a zone scheme but I going to wait for the coaching staff to make that assessment.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-02-2015, 07:08 PM
I tend trust what he says too but given that a reputable source says he played well by their measurements I don't agree with Schlereth on this one. Franklin may not suited to a zone scheme but I going to wait for the coaching staff to make that assessment.

I don't know either. Schlereth is a shock jock.

TXBRONC
02-02-2015, 07:13 PM
I don't know either. Schlereth is a shock jock.

You think he says thinks just for shock value?

Ziggy
02-02-2015, 07:13 PM
I don't go to the fatman site, I am referring to what I am hearing...it's all speculation till it happens. (I could toot my horn at this moment and Zigs you know I'd have the right to - but I won't). As for Iupati, he's far more mobile in your mind, Franklin is an athletic freak for his size, he F'n ice skates for crying out loud which is difficult, especially given someone who is a big man and he's always been known for his footwork. You do know that most analysts have Franklin ranked higher then Iupati on the Free Agent list correct?

So you're saying you have connections inside the Broncos?

As far as Franklin being ranked higher, you might want to do some homework. Iupati is a 3 time pro bowler and one time first team all pro. The guy is one of the best guards in the NFL when he's healthy.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000438283/article/2015-top-10-nfl-free-agents-who-could-be-on-market
http://nfltraderumors.co/top-25-2015-nfl-free-agents/
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/51589/309/2015-nfl-free-agents
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/2015-nfl-free-agents-141400044--nfl.html
http://www.aol.com/article/2015/01/07/ranking-the-top-10-nfl-free-agents-in-2015/21126225/

Lancane
02-02-2015, 08:14 PM
So you're saying you have connections inside the Broncos?

As far as Franklin being ranked higher, you might want to do some homework. Iupati is a 3 time pro bowler and one time first team all pro. The guy is one of the best guards in the NFL when he's healthy.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000438283/article/2015-top-10-nfl-free-agents-who-could-be-on-market
http://nfltraderumors.co/top-25-2015-nfl-free-agents/
http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/51589/309/2015-nfl-free-agents
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/2015-nfl-free-agents-141400044--nfl.html
http://www.aol.com/article/2015/01/07/ranking-the-top-10-nfl-free-agents-in-2015/21126225/

I don't consider those reliable analysts Zigs...lol.

Am I saying I have connections? Not inside the team, just know some that are very knowledgeable about it all.

Franklin has missed 1 game in four seasons, Iupati has missed 5 in the last two seasons, some would grade Franklin as more reliable option and that is why they have him higher - they believe Iupati should rebound. And yes, Iupati has the accolades, I give you that...does that tell the whole story? And will he come to Denver for the same price that Franklin will, especially since he wants to stay here and is emotionally invested in the organization? No.

Per Pro Football Focus:

As is often the case in San Francisco, they are a bullying group of linemen who can impose themselves in the run game, but are susceptible to giving up quick pressure. No difference this year with free agent-to-be Mike Iupati epitomizing this.

The switch to left guard hasn’t hurt Orlando Franklin (+12.0) one bit. He’s looked like a natural.

Ziggy
02-02-2015, 08:39 PM
I've been following Iupati since his college days. I've always been a huge fan. Franklin may have better combine numbers, but Iupati looks better, faster, and more agile in pads to me. He has a knack for getting to the second level and destroying linebackers. He also plays with a bit more nastiness than big O. Franklin had a good season run blocking, and struggled at times against the pass. They both play a similar game. I just see Iupati as the better player with a meaner disposition who would be even better in the ZBS.

I'd be happy if we re-signed big O. I'd be ecstatic if we signed Iupati. It's just a personal preference is all.

Lancane
02-02-2015, 08:48 PM
I've been following Iupati since his college days. I've always been a huge fan. Franklin may have better combine numbers, but Iupati looks better, faster, and more agile in pads to me. He has a knack for getting to the second level and destroying linebackers. He also plays with a bit more nastiness than big O. Franklin had a good season run blocking, and struggled at times against the pass. They both play a similar game. I just see Iupati as the better player with a meaner disposition who would be even better in the ZBS.

I'd be happy if we re-signed big O. I'd be ecstatic if we signed Iupati. It's just a personal preference is all.

And that is fine Zigs, that is sort how I feel about the idea of Derek Newton, I see the appeal for Denver but I'd prefer Bryan Baluga or Joseph Barksdale, but I also see where the team is coming from - Newton is not great, but he has a connection and is likely to be a cheaper Band-Aid. I also think Denver wants to save enough to keep not only Demaryius Thomas who is going to be very costly, too costly IMHO. but Franklin, Knighton and a few others. The only way I see them making big changes is if Manning doesn't return.

Slick
02-02-2015, 09:20 PM
I'd be really surprised if San Fran lets Iupati get away. They drafted him, developed him, and he's entering the prime of his career. He's a guard so he's not going to break the bank. Unless he's not happy there which I haven't heard.

elsid13
02-02-2015, 09:30 PM
I guess I am one of the few that would allow Pot Roast to walk if the price is to much. There are couple of FA that could kit that role and I actually think Austin would be really good at Wade's 1 gap NT requirement.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-02-2015, 11:03 PM
You think he says thinks just for shock value?

I strongly believe that, yes.

TXBRONC
02-02-2015, 11:13 PM
I'd be really surprised if San Fran lets Iupati get away. They drafted him, developed him, and he's entering the prime of his career. He's a guard so he's not going to break the bank. Unless he's not happy there which I haven't heard.

I agree, I just don't see the 49ers letting Iupati walk away.

Simple Jaded
02-03-2015, 01:16 AM
Schlereth later came out on radio and gave Franklin props, he may have even taken credit for Franklin's improvement.

Buff
02-03-2015, 11:31 AM
Schlereth later came out on radio and gave Franklin props, he may have even taken credit for Franklin's improvement.

I'm pretty sure I listened to a segment after the season with him and he was still very down on Big Frank and Manny. Maybe I'm confusing my timelines - but I'm pretty sure his criticism has been repeated since that infamous interview he gave after St. Louis.

TXBRONC
02-03-2015, 11:39 AM
I strongly believe that, yes.

The things Schlereth has said over the years have never struck me as being done just for shock value.

Davii
02-18-2015, 09:08 PM
Josina Anderson just linked this dialog on Twitter:

#Broncos DT Terrance Knighton on his impending free agency: "I think I've made it very clear to them that I want to be a Bronco. My agent tried to get something done before the year, during the year, immediately when the season was over, and they just haven’t had the same interest. To be quite honest with you it’s frustrating and it’s somewhat disrespectful just knowing how important I was to the team and what the defense could’ve been without somebody like me. It’s almost like, the longer they wait the worse it is going to be."

Ziggy
02-18-2015, 09:17 PM
Josina Anderson just linked this dialog on Twitter:

#Broncos DT Terrance Knighton on his impending free agency: "I think I've made it very clear to them that I want to be a Bronco. My agent tried to get something done before the year, during the year, immediately when the season was over, and they just haven’t had the same interest. To be quite honest with you it’s frustrating and it’s somewhat disrespectful just knowing how important I was to the team and what the defense could’ve been without somebody like me. It’s almost like, the longer they wait the worse it is going to be."

Well Terrance, Mr. Elway and Mr. Phillips may not agree with your assessment of how important you are to our defense. Good luck in Oakland.

Simple Jaded
02-18-2015, 09:30 PM
Maybe the Broncos are waiting on their QB to figure out where to go with their NT?

VonDoom
02-18-2015, 09:31 PM
Well Terrance, Mr. Elway and Mr. Phillips may not agree with your assessment of how important you are to our defense. Good luck in Oakland.

I think that's a little harsh, Ziggy. It's a natural reaction to bash someone on their way out, especially if it seems like it's of the player's own making (see: the Julius Thomas thread). But if the team is really making no effort to re-sign him, it's hard to blame the player for being upset about it. I trust that Elway knows what he's doing but I won't lie - losing Knighton would make me unhappy.

VonDoom
02-18-2015, 09:32 PM
Maybe the Broncos are waiting on their QB to figure out where to go with their NT?

Eh, I don't know. Most people assume Manning is coming back at this point. I don't really see that playing a role in negotiating with Pot Roast.

DenBronx
02-18-2015, 10:13 PM
So we have 2 very pissed of FAs. Id like to keep at least ONE out of those two.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-18-2015, 10:18 PM
Besides personally scouting the group of draft prospects, the Broncos will meet this week with representatives of their free agent players. There is a meeting scheduled with agents for defensive tackle Terrance Knighton, receiver Demaryius Thomas, guard-tackle Orlando Franklin and safety Rahim Moore, among others.

"We'll see where everybody is," Elway said.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27552799/broncos-john-elway-says-peyton-manning-hasnt-made

Denver Native (Carol)
02-18-2015, 10:23 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2015/02/18/jack-del-rio-appreciates-respects-way-terrance-knighton-played/32667/

Lancane
02-18-2015, 10:25 PM
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2015/02/18/jack-del-rio-appreciates-respects-way-terrance-knighton-played/32667/

Del Rio can go get plowed at this point...lol.

Davii
02-18-2015, 10:27 PM

Who's the other?

VonDoom
02-18-2015, 10:33 PM
Who's the other?

I assume he means Julius. I'd obviously rather keep Knighton, if I had a choice

Denver Native (Carol)
02-18-2015, 10:33 PM
Josina Anderson · @JosinaAnderson
19th Feb 2015 from TwitLonger

Broncos DT T. Knighton to me on if he wants to stay with the team: "I want to stay with the Broncos. I’m willing to take somewhat of a hometown discount, but I also want to make sure I’m getting paid well for my position and how well I played. But if the Broncos don’t make any moves, I have no problem signing somewhere else."

#Broncos DT T. Knighton to me on what other teams fit his skill set: "There’s been a lot of talk about me going to Oakland because of coach (Jack) Del Rio. He and I have a great relationship. I know his defense. I know exactly how he wants his nose tackles to play and I am a very loyal person. He stuck with me..and he is a big part of me being in Denver. So if things don’t work out he is definitely the first person I would like to talk to."

#Broncos DT T. Knighton's to me on his top 2 teams to play for other than Oakland if he departs Denver: "I’m just letting the process handle itself. I’m just going to go with the flow—whoever wants me more. I feel like I haven’t had that big pay day that I deserve yet; and I’m looking for that."

And Josina has the following:

Josina Anderson @JosinaAnderson · 2h 2 hours ago

Also expecting more on another Bronco player set to become a UFA. Will tweet tonight or early morning. Check for it.

Ziggy
02-18-2015, 10:58 PM
I think that's a little harsh, Ziggy. It's a natural reaction to bash someone on their way out, especially if it seems like it's of the player's own making (see: the Julius Thomas thread). But if the team is really making no effort to re-sign him, it's hard to blame the player for being upset about it. I trust that Elway knows what he's doing but I won't lie - losing Knighton would make me unhappy.

Harsh? If they aren't talking to him, they may have already moved on. Pot Roast has said he's looking for the big payday that he deserves. I don't think the Broncos are the ones that are going to give it to him. I wouldn't be upset if he stayed. I just don't think that he's worth big money. That's not bashing him.

Lancane
02-18-2015, 11:06 PM
Harsh? If they aren't talking to him, they may have already moved on. Pot Roast has said he's looking for the big payday that he deserves. I don't think the Broncos are the ones that are going to give it to him. I wouldn't be upset if he stayed. I just don't think that he's worth big money. That's not bashing him.

He's easily worth about 5 mil. a season and Denver is scheduled to meet with his agent at the combine.

Ziggy
02-18-2015, 11:36 PM
He's easily worth about 5 mil. a season and Denver is scheduled to meet with his agent at the combine.

Like I said. I wouldn't mind if he came back. I think he's looking for a long term big money deal. Would he accept 5 million a year? Probably, as long as it had enough guaranteed money and years attached. I think Sly will be a better fit in Wade's D for a lot less money. The Broncos have already invested a first in him, and he's done exactly what he was told to. Be a plugger. Now he'll get a chance to shine and go after the QB.

The other thing that worries me about Pot Roast is what's going to happen to his weight when he has the guaranteed money. He was willing to pay 300k in fines with a very modest salary. How much will he be willing to pay with a big salary? I'd rather see that 5 million go elsewhere. How about paying Stefen Wisneiwski 3 million and using the other 2 towards another starting O lineman? I think you get far more bang for your buck in a scenario like that.

Northman
02-19-2015, 03:55 AM

For me, it just all depends on how much he wants. If i had to choose i would rather keep Knighton over JT but i still wouldnt give up the farm for him. Pot Roast talks about a hometown discount but what exactly means in terms of actual numbers i dont know. But, if Denver hasnt talked to him yet than maybe they are ready to move on with a younger player so i trust that Elway knows what he is doing.

TXBRONC
02-19-2015, 09:13 AM

What two free agents are pissed off?

Ziggy
02-19-2015, 03:42 PM
What two free agents are pissed off?

Knighton and JT.

TXBRONC
02-19-2015, 04:07 PM
Knighton and JT.

I wasn't getting that out what I read.

JPPT1974
02-19-2015, 04:07 PM
Hopefully either the deal will get done or that he will land a team where he is wanted and much needed. Good luck Pot Roast.

tomjonesrocks
02-19-2015, 07:41 PM
Elway is aggressive with guys he wants, and completely out of contact with those he doesn't.

Expect him to be a Raider soon enough.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-19-2015, 08:04 PM
INDIANAPOLIS — Terrance Knighton knows he is not the Broncos’ top offseason priority. But five weeks removed from the team’s playoff exit, the defensive tackle continues to fight impatience. The sides are expected to begin talks this week, and Knighton will be “disappointed” if the discussions lack substance.

“I have no idea what they will discuss, if anything. If the talks aren’t numbers right now, I’d be very disappointed because I have made it very clear where I want to be,” Knighton told The Denver Post on Thursday.

Knighton said last month that he would be willing to take less money to stay in Denver, where he is a fan favorite and a team leader. He is looking for a “fair offer” to prevent him from testing the open market in March. Knighton served as a team captain last season, and graded out as one of the league’s top run stuffers by Pro Football Focus. Teammates want Knighton back, believing he’s one of the keys to the defense realizing its potential.

General manager John Elway said Thursday he wants Knighton back. However, the Broncos are reluctant to negotiate aggressively until the market crystallizes. That won’t occur until March 7.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2015/02/19/terrance-knighton-will-disappointed-contract-talks-lack-substance/32697/

Simple Jaded
02-19-2015, 08:55 PM
The Broncos tried to work on a deal with these guys before the season and now they're gettting antsy?

Denver Native (Carol)
02-19-2015, 09:03 PM
The Broncos tried to work on a deal with these guys before the season and now they're gettting antsy?

I think the only two they tried to work on a deal for was DT and JT

dogfish
02-19-2015, 09:22 PM

i'm getting antsy about pot roast myself. . . i do like williams, but he's certainly not the proven top-notch gap plugger knighton is. . . and one-gap 34 or not, there are still plenty of times you need that guy. . . besides which, knighton moves better at his weight than a lot of smaller dudes-- he can play wade's scheme. . . more so, even if you think sly can handle it, who's behind him? i like unrein, but i don't wanna be a twisted ankle away from him starting at some critical juncture. . . not on a team with manning coming back. . . pay up and keep pot roast around. . .

#goal line and short yardage defense matters!

seriously though, doesn't look like he's a priority, and that disappoints me. . . if it does play out that way, i think it's a mistake. . .

Simple Jaded
02-19-2015, 09:39 PM
Lamme said on radio today that the Broncos will not talk contract with any of their FA's til March 9th, fwiw.

Truth be told I might have Potraost higher on my wish list than Manning; DT, Roast and Green, in that order. But it's all gravy for me, thru the last 3 seasons I'm just kinda trying to embrace the random, this feels like the days back when I felt like we have a chance every year.

Btw, without Potroast I think we'll see Williams and Austin 1 and 2 on the NT depth chart.

Simple Jaded
02-19-2015, 09:46 PM
I think the only two they tried to work on a deal for was DT and JT

You could be right but I thought I heard something on the radio about them talking with Potraosts people before the season.

VonDoom
02-19-2015, 10:53 PM
You could be right but I thought I heard something on the radio about them talking with Potraosts people before the season.

Knighton has been quoted in the last couple of days as saying that his agent approached the Broncos before the season and during the season and got nowhere. So if that's to be believed, it doesn't seem like we talked to him at all at this point.

underrated29
02-19-2015, 11:06 PM
Knighton wants 7.5

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-19-2015, 11:08 PM
Knighton is very talented, but I can understand why we might not want to pay him top dollar. His weight continues to be an issue. He only played about 50% of the snaps this year.

I would love to have him back even with the weight problems. He could be one of the 4 or 5 best NT's in football if he'd push the plate away.

Lancane
02-20-2015, 03:06 AM
Knighton wants 7.5

Really? He said he would love to have a 5 year 25 million dollar deal from Denver. So where are you hearing this?

Lancane
02-20-2015, 03:08 AM
I think Knighton not being a priority will end up biting Denver in the *** to be frank.

sneakers
02-20-2015, 06:18 AM
Sure why not? Unless you can get NDonkeyKong Suh with a rabies vaccination instead.

VonDoom
02-20-2015, 07:23 AM
Really? He said he would love to have a 5 year 25 million dollar deal from Denver. So where are you hearing this?

Denver Post mentioned that number, but I assume it's pure speculation right now. As for the 5/25 deal ... did Knighton ever say that, or is that just more media assumptions? Like I said in another thread, if they haven't even sat down yet, it's hard to know what numbers each side is talking about.

TXBRONC
02-20-2015, 09:53 AM
These things have a way of working themselves out. Losing Knighton could be problematic but with a defensive coordinator like Phillips running the defense they vet it figured out one way or the other.

Northman
02-20-2015, 10:24 AM
I think Knighton not being a priority will end up biting Denver in the *** to be frank.

I dont think so honestly. Its not like Knighton is the be all end all to this defense.

Ravage!!!
02-20-2015, 10:53 AM
A stud NT is paramount, though. If you have a stud, I think it's a bad idea to let him go. They aren't easy to find. However, it seems that there are a lot of people that believe ALL positions are "easy to replace."

Northman
02-20-2015, 10:55 AM
A stud NT is paramount, though. If you have a stud, I think it's a bad idea to let him go. They aren't easy to find. However, it seems that there are a lot of people that believe ALL positions are "easy to replace."

Any position is paramount, but you dont overpay for a position and considering that Roast has a hard time keeping his weight in check i would say that would be a risky move if Denver doesnt feel he is worth overpaying for. It wouldnt be easy to replace Manning either but sometimes you just got to do it. Cant keep players on a team if they are not worth the money they are asking just because fans like them. (See Favre)

Ravage!!!
02-20-2015, 11:05 AM
Any position is paramount, but you dont overpay for a position and considering that Roast has a hard time keeping his weight in check i would say that would be a risky move if Denver doesnt feel he is worth overpaying for. It wouldnt be easy to replace Manning either but sometimes you just got to do it. Cant keep players on a team if they are not worth the money they are asking just because fans like them. (See Favre)

I think its easier to replace some positions than others. MAJOR positions that are hard to fill, you pay more for. That's the life of the NFL and its why those guys get more money. As far as his weight. You can put some caveats into the contract regarding his weight. That's not that uncommon to have stipulations in a contract that fit for individuals, whether it be for injuries occuring for off season activities they like to enjoy, health concerns that have been discovered, or whatevers.

But the "aren't worth the money" is ALWAYS what the decision is about. THat's for everyone. The "he's over paid" comment is one of the oldest cliches' on the board.

Northman
02-20-2015, 11:17 AM
I think its easier to replace some positions than others. MAJOR positions that are hard to fill, you pay more for. That's the life of the NFL and its why those guys get more money. As far as his weight. You can put some caveats into the contract regarding his weight. That's not that uncommon to have stipulations in a contract that fit for individuals, whether it be for injuries occuring for off season activities they like to enjoy, health concerns that have been discovered, or whatevers.

But the "aren't worth the money" is ALWAYS what the decision is about. THat's for everyone. The "he's over paid" comment is one of the oldest cliches' on the board.

And clearly Denver right now doesnt think he is worth pursuing. *Shrugs*

NightTerror218
02-20-2015, 11:27 AM
Its hard to know what the cap space is when manning has not decided what he is going to do. He is the biggest cap number on team. Makes science the are waiting to see what they can spend. Knighton is one guy and who knows what he is asking.

GEM
02-20-2015, 11:31 AM
I really hope Elway isn't getting cocky...there are some guys you spend money on and some you don't, but you have to have talent. You can't just let all the FA's go and expect to have good results.

GEM
02-20-2015, 11:32 AM
We tried for a decade to find a good Nose....now that we have it, we just throw it away? Come on, mannnnnnn!

GEM
02-20-2015, 11:33 AM
Its hard to know what the cap space is when manning has not decided what he is going to do. He is the biggest cap number on team. Makes science the are waiting to see what they can spend. Knighton is one guy and who knows what he is asking.

Manning is starting to piss me off. Either play or don't, but let the cat out of the hat so that we know what we need and can do this offseason.

turftoad
02-20-2015, 11:34 AM
I really hope Elway isn't getting cocky...there are some guys you spend money on and some you don't, but you have to have talent. You can't just let all the FA's go and expect to have good results.

Agreed! Look at years past when we didn't have any good DT's. The whole fan base was complaining about it. Now that we do, I hope we keep Knighton. DT's are not irreplaceable.

GEM
02-20-2015, 11:35 AM
Agreed! Look at years past when we didn't have any good DT's. The whole fan base was complaining about it. Now that we do, I hope we keep Knighton. DT's are not irreplaceable.

Exactly! The DLine was our biggest issue for a freaking decade. Do we want to go back to scrubs and Browns Dline? That's just effing silly!

Northman
02-20-2015, 11:37 AM
I have faith Elway knows what he is doing. Im quite sure he has a plan for DT.

Ravage!!!
02-20-2015, 11:43 AM
Manning is starting to piss me off. Either play or don't, but let the cat out of the hat so that we know what we need and can do this offseason.

He's going to give us PLENTY of time to know before draft and signing FA's.

Valar Morghulis
02-20-2015, 11:46 AM
Del Rio can go get plowed at this point...lol.

By pot roast?

GEM
02-20-2015, 12:08 PM

Franchise DT and who knows on the rest.

Lancane
02-20-2015, 12:28 PM

I have faith but it's limited, after all he's been very predictable since becoming the G.M., not that that's bad or good, but it does screw his ability to play poker successfully.

Northman
02-20-2015, 12:38 PM
I have faith but it's limited, after all he's been very predictable since becoming the G.M., not that that's bad or good, but it does screw his ability to play poker successfully.

Dunno.

All i know is we went from a 6-10 team to winning the division at 8-8 with Tebow, then the past 3 years we have won 12 plus games and a SB appearance. He's made some moves to bring in some notable FA players (Mannng, Ware, Ward, etc) and ended up having the balls to fire Fox when people thought he may not of had the guts to do so. So for me so far i havent seen anything that would shake my faith in what he is doing or trying to achieve. While Knighton has been good i dont think he is the be all end all at that position. Maybe John wants to upgrade and find a more impact player there just have to wait and see. Guess im just not quite as in love with Knighton as most people are on here.

GEM
02-20-2015, 12:47 PM
Who is out there to replace him? While I like Sylvestor and Austin, I just don't think they are at Pot Roast's level. Are there issues with him and his weight? Yea, but I just don't think he's easily replaceable.

Northman
02-20-2015, 12:52 PM
Who is out there to replace him? While I like Sylvestor and Austin, I just don't think they are at Pot Roast's level. Are there issues with him and his weight? Yea, but I just don't think he's easily replaceable.

Not sure, but maybe they see things in Sly that regular fans dont see. Or maybe they have scouted a player in the draft, maybe a FA they think fits what they want to do under Wade. Many variables at work here. I just saw Carol post that Elway isnt afraid to play a young player which is good because sometimes you find gems (no pun intended) in the rough.

Lancane
02-20-2015, 01:00 PM
Dunno.

All i know is we went from a 6-10 team to winning the division at 8-8 with Tebow, then the past 3 years we have won 12 plus games and a SB appearance. He's made some moves to bring in some notable FA players (Mannng, Ware, Ward, etc) and ended up having the balls to fire Fox when people thought he may not of had the guts to do so. So for me so far i havent seen anything that would shake my faith in what he is doing or trying to achieve. While Knighton has been good i dont think he is the be all end all at that position. Maybe John wants to upgrade and find a more impact player there just have to wait and see. Guess im just not quite as in love with Knighton as most people are on here.

As I said, I have faith but it's limited. Just as I knew that the new coaching staff would have certain ties to Denver, it was obvious because the regimes that Elway learned under were all similar and did much the same, it's also been obvious that Elway has learned more from Shanahan then he did Reeves because he has shown a much better aptitude for Free Agency then the annual draft. I know, I know...his first draft wasn't bad, but then again it's rather hard to screw up a top five pick and let's not forget that Brian Xanders had a hand in that draft - since then I would say that his drafting leaves something to be desired compared to his free agency moves. I said earlier this off-season he needs to have a great draft to escape being labeled as a one-trick pony and I stand by that observation. So yeah, he's done great in a certain aspect, but should we start losing the better football players to keep one or two, or begin to overpay and lose out on keeping a truly competitive roster in light of then more people will begin to question him; we're talking about a fan base that rose in arms over Orton for Tebow, who voiced their distaste for McDaniels, this isn't the football town to be shortsighted, they'll accept that in Cleveland and Oakland, not here (no matter the legacy).

Northman
02-20-2015, 01:16 PM
As I said, I have faith but it's limited. Just as I knew that the new coaching staff would have certain ties to Denver, it was obvious because the regimes that Elway learned under were all similar and did much the same, it's also been obvious that Elway has learned more from Shanahan then he did Reeves because he has shown a much better aptitude for Free Agency then the annual draft. I know, I know...his first draft wasn't bad, but then again it's rather hard to screw up a top five pick and let's not forget that Brian Xanders had a hand in that draft - since then I would say that his drafting leaves something to be desired compared to his free agency moves. I said earlier this off-season he needs to have a great draft to escape being labeled as a one-trick pony and I stand by that observation. So yeah, he's done great in a certain aspect, but should we start losing the better football players to keep one or two, or begin to overpay and lose out on keeping a truly competitive roster in light of then more people will begin to question him; we're talking about a fan base that rose in arms over Orton for Tebow, who voiced their distaste for McDaniels, this isn't the football town to be shortsighted, they'll accept that in Cleveland and Oakland, not here (no matter the legacy).

Well so far i still havent seen anything that would waiver my trust there. As for drafts, honestly i havent really seen one team other than the Ravens have consistent success at drafting. Drafts are a crapshoot for any team. And even that is not a shoe in as ive seen players leave Bmore and fade out at other places so i think when it comes to the Ravens its more of a mentality thing and buying into system there. The way i look at is this, if Roast leaves and we dont find a adequate or better replacement than ok, lets bitch but until that happens im just going to wait and see how that pans out. As for Manning, i do wish he would shit or get off the pot but im ok with whatever decision there is at that position. If Manning comes back, great. If not, let the era of the Ozzman begin. In the end you have to want and keep players who buy into what your selling. Roast has been inconsistent in what he has said publicly so if a player isnt sure he wants to even be a Bronco than that concerns me. Then there is his weight issue. In the end i want players here who want to be here and not flip flopping verbally of where they want to be.

Lancane
02-20-2015, 01:50 PM
Well so far i still havent seen anything that would waiver my trust there. As for drafts, honestly i havent really seen one team other than the Ravens have consistent success at drafting. Drafts are a crapshoot for any team. And even that is not a shoe in as ive seen players leave Bmore and fade out at other places so i think when it comes to the Ravens its more of a mentality thing and buying into system there. The way i look at is this, if Roast leaves and we dont find a adequate or better replacement than ok, lets bitch but until that happens im just going to wait and see how that pans out. As for Manning, i do wish he would shit or get off the pot but im ok with whatever decision there is at that position. If Manning comes back, great. If not, let the era of the Ozzman begin. In the end you have to want and keep players who buy into what your selling. Roast has been inconsistent in what he has said publicly so if a player isnt sure he wants to even be a Bronco than that concerns me. Then there is his weight issue. In the end i want players here who want to be here and not flip flopping verbally of where they want to be.

Understandable, but a player wanting to be here or not doesn't make them the right choice, it has to be a bit about both at least that is what I believe, but sometimes the loyalty of the player is based on the loyalty of management. If one is not willing to show loyalty and trust why should the other? One example is Ball, while I do like him we have to look that Denver drafted Hillman and then Ball who is a fan of the Broncos but passed on Lacy who has lit it up (though some on here thought he'd be a bust)...but then suddenly Anderson breaks out, now who do they show loyalty to going forward? Not everything is as clear cut as it may seem, Knighton wanted a new contract last off-season, Elway specifically said he believes in players finishing their contracts, etc. Then he extended Fox and offered new contracts to D.T. and J.T., so do you think Knighton has no reason to be iffy? I think he wants to be here, actually I think he wants to be wanted and that is more common then some believe, of course that is just how I see it.

Northman
02-20-2015, 02:16 PM
Understandable, but a player wanting to be here or not doesn't make them the right choice, it has to be a bit about both at least that is what I believe, but sometimes the loyalty of the player is based on the loyalty of management. If one is not willing to show loyalty and trust why should the other? One example is Ball, while I do like him we have to look that Denver drafted Hillman and then Ball who is a fan of the Broncos but passed on Lacy who has lit it up (though some on here thought he'd be a bust)...but then suddenly Anderson breaks out, now who do they show loyalty to going forward? Not everything is as clear cut as it may seem, Knighton wanted a new contract last off-season, Elway specifically said he believes in players finishing their contracts, etc. Then he extended Fox and offered new contracts to D.T. and J.T., so do you think Knighton has no reason to be iffy? I think he wants to be here, actually I think he wants to be wanted and that is more common then some believe, of course that is just how I see it.

Well, like i said the draft is a crapshoot. Personally i wanted Lacy at the time but it was hard to argue that Ball wasnt a solid choice either considering what he had done in college. Now, i dont want to write off Ball just yet but part of that is what a player does given the opportunity. While Ball somewhat struggled Anderson took his opportunity and made more of it. But i also think there is a difference between loyalty and overpaying. The one thing we dont know about is if Knighton is not living up to his current contract and/or agreement. I think i had read that the team had fined him for his weight issues so why would a team want to extend or give that player a raise when they are not living up to the agreement? I think this is the same case as with JT that both players are not fullfilling the expectations and thus are not being given raises or extensions. You think Knighton wants to be here but early on he said he was loyal to Del Rio and wouldnt mind playing in Oakland. Then after the backlash he received from the fanbase he backpeddled on his comments. My main concern with Knighton is that he is being wishy washy. I actually would have far more respect for him if he had stood by his original comments and said he would rather play for Del Rio and that Denver just wasnt offering the money he felt he deserved. If you dont want to be here than stand by that as im sure Denver (like they did with Tebow) will grant his wish.

shank
02-20-2015, 02:21 PM
sometimes you find gems (no pun intended) in the rough.

that was absolutely intended.

Ravage!!!
02-20-2015, 02:31 PM

I have to completely disagree, Lan. How do you figure this? Did he play poker with Cromartie? Did he seem to fade with Decker? WHere has he let a guy go and hasn't turned around and replaced said player with a suitable player?

Lancane
02-20-2015, 02:35 PM
I have to completely disagree, Lan. How do you figure this? Did he play poker with Cromartie? Did he seem to fade with Decker? WHere has he let a guy go and hasn't turned around and replaced said player with a suitable player?

Meaning his poker face, that he's been predictable not playing poker as in dealing with players Rav. And as I've said, this is really the year where he's worth will be proven because if he loses Knighton he better have an answer, if he loses J. Thomas he better have an answer and on and on. He's predictable because he learned from certain regimes that followed a certain way of things and he's followed quite obviously. He hasn't established himself in all aspects, not yet and I hope he will this off-season.

Ravage!!!
02-20-2015, 02:47 PM
Meaning his poker face, that he's been predictable not playing poker as in dealing with players Rav. And as I've said, this is really the year where he's worth will be proven because if he loses Knighton he better have an answer, if he loses J. Thomas he better have an answer and on and on. He's predictable because he learned from certain regimes that followed a certain way of things and he's followed quite obviously. He hasn't established himself in all aspects, not yet and I hope he will this off-season.

I get what you are saying... but it still doesn't make any sense. Where is it he's supposed to "bluff" anyone for any reason? There has been no reason to bluff, show your poker face, or any of the combined metaphores. He's straight up, knows what his plans are, and moves forward. Seems to me, that his method of "not messing around" and having a path of knowing his plans and alternatives has been a better approach. It's business, and john is a good business man. I just don't agree with your point on this one.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-20-2015, 02:47 PM
John wont have a hard time finding a player willing to sit on the bench half the season. :D

Valar Morghulis
02-20-2015, 02:50 PM
I love Elways approach - DRC (who i wish we kept) was classic

"DRC, would you like this much?"
"No thank you John, i want more"
"goodbye DRC"

He sets a great precedent of offering really fair deals, but refuses to budge - i love that. It would be different if he was low balling people and then taking the huff if they refused.

Lancane
02-20-2015, 03:18 PM
I get what you are saying... but it still doesn't make any sense. Where is it he's supposed to "bluff" anyone for any reason? There has been no reason to bluff, show your poker face, or any of the combined metaphores. He's straight up, knows what his plans are, and moves forward. Seems to me, that his method of "not messing around" and having a path of knowing his plans and alternatives has been a better approach. It's business, and john is a good business man. I just don't agree with your point on this one.

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one! :beer:

Denver Native (Carol)
02-21-2015, 10:50 AM
INDIANAPOLIS — With the Broncos willing to let the open market set the value for free agent Terrance Knighton, there exists a chance he won’t be back. Knighton has earned a big payday, perhaps as much as $7 million per season. If the Broncos deem that beyond their price point to make other pieces of the puzzle fit, the onus falls on Sylvester Williams to take on a bigger role.

Williams, a first-round draft choice in 2013, showed improvement last season, ranking 32nd against the run by Pro Football Focus among defensive tackles. However, he finished with a positive overall grade in only five games. Which leads me to John Elway’s answer about Williams’ role next season. He believes Williams can play better, and thinks new defensive line coach Bill Kollar will help him reach this goal.

“We still like Sylvester, we think there’s still a lot of potential there, and we are not sure that he’s scratched it yet. If there’s any guy that can get it out of our players it’s our new defensive line coach Bill Kollar,” Elway said. “So Sylvester is going to get tested, and will get pushed. And I think it will be a good thing for Sylvester.”

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2015/02/20/john-elway-believes-sylvester-williams-barely-scratched-surface-potential/32706/

Lancane
02-21-2015, 11:35 AM
rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2015/02/20/john-elway-believes-sylvester-williams-barely-scratched-surface-potential/32706/

I have a hard time seeing a UT moving successfully to a NT position with great success.

Ravage!!!
02-21-2015, 12:01 PM
Seems that keeping Knighton has to be a priority. The more I read, the more I believe this.

Northman
02-21-2015, 12:26 PM
I have a hard time seeing a UT moving successfully to a NT position with great success.

Thats why they are in place doing their job and you are a fan looking from the inside out. :)

Lancane
02-21-2015, 03:32 PM
Thats why they are in place doing their job and you are a fan looking from the inside out. :)

No, that's why the NFL has such a high turnover ratio, because so many fail at their jobs! ;)

Northman
02-21-2015, 04:48 PM
No, that's why the NFL has such a high turnover ratio, because so many fail at their jobs! ;)

Yea, if you are Oakland or Cleveland. ;)

Lancane
02-21-2015, 04:52 PM
Yea, if you are Oakland or Cleveland. ;)

So what happened in Denver? Oops!!! :lol:

Northman
02-21-2015, 05:12 PM
So what happened in Denver? Oops!!! :lol:

We went to the Super Bowl. :coffee:

Lancane
02-21-2015, 05:31 PM
We went to the Super Bowl. :coffee:

Slow down, step forward a year...I think it had something to do with a new staff and getting rid of the same one that coached the team the year we went to the Super Bowl? ;)

Ziggy
02-21-2015, 05:47 PM

It's a completely different scheme. Sly weighs in at 315, and has good quickness for his size. He fits perfectly into Wade's one gap scheme as a NT. Sly did what he was asked to over the last 2 years. Stand and take up blocks. Like most of the other Broncos defensive players, he was misused. I may be the only one here, but I'm excited to see what he can do when he's turned loose.

Lancane
02-21-2015, 05:50 PM
It's a completely different scheme. Sly weighs in at 315, and has good quickness for his size. He fits perfectly into Wade's one gap scheme as a NT. Sly did what he was asked to over the last 2 years. Stand and take up blocks. Like most of the other Broncos defensive players, he was misused. I may be the only one here, but I'm excited to see what he can do when he's turned loose.

We'll see, but I think Denver if they let Knighton go will regret it...but I could be wrong and Williams becomes an All-Pro at the position (I hope).

Simple Jaded
02-21-2015, 06:24 PM
Williams played NT and 3-T at Carolina, he's not a classic Gerald McCoy UT. Williams has been solid, I'm looking forward to seeing these DL's turned lose.

TXBRONC
02-21-2015, 10:02 PM

While I would like the Broncos to re-sign Knighton if they can't I confident Phillips will still be able to get the most out of Williams.

Northman
02-22-2015, 12:10 PM
We'll see, but I think Denver if they let Knighton go will regret it...but I could be wrong and Williams becomes an All-Pro at the position (I hope).

Dont worry, you will be wrong here. Settle your heart down. :D

DenBronx
02-24-2015, 05:35 PM
According to Brandon Spanos new report today Knighton is out of Denver talks. Denver won't attempt to resign him at all.

http://bsndenver.com/#article/1791

Northman
02-24-2015, 05:38 PM
Thanks for everything Pot Roast. Cant say im shocked, pretty much got the feeling he was gone a while ago.

Rick
02-24-2015, 06:02 PM
I am not sure on losing Pot Roast. I like him but we can't keep everyone. He sure is a big piece(literally) of our defense though.

I can see the reasoning of letting him walk though from a business stand point.
We have a first round pick behind him in Sly that we already have under contract, cheaper. As a first rounder, you want him playing not sitting.
We are about to pay big for DT.
Whether we resign BigO or bring in another guard we are going to be handing out a fat contract there.
Even though Manning will come off the books this season or maybe next we will have to give a raise to Miller soon as well as Marshall(who I think deserves guarantees more than Pot Roast).

GEM
02-24-2015, 06:11 PM
Not going to make a big deal out of it, but hellllllo you can't ship off all your talent and expect great results. Losing Julius due to issues is 1 notch, losing Julius and Pot Roast and hoping to tag DT is getting into the scary realm of the Broncos perhaps thinking they can just plug any player anywhere and they'll be ok. Doesn't work that way boys.

Rick
02-24-2015, 06:26 PM
Not going to make a big deal out of it, but hellllllo you can't ship off all your talent and expect great results. Losing Julius due to issues is 1 notch, losing Julius and Pot Roast and hoping to tag DT is getting into the scary realm of the Broncos perhaps thinking they can just plug any player anywhere and they'll be ok. Doesn't work that way boys.

I don't necessarily see it that way.

They let Decker go and replaced him with someone cheaper that put up great results. I won't say which is better, both were very good receivers that put up very good numbers in our system, with different skill sets. Sanders saved us cash.

They may(or may not) be planning to just let Pot Roast go but they are not just thinking let him walk and sign another big dude to fill his spot, they are thinking to replace him with a guy we spent a first round pick on.

They did try and resign JT, they just couldn't come to terms on the guarantees he wanted. That isn't saying I will just fill the spot with any old stiff, that is saying I am not giving max guarantees to a guy that gets injured often and isn't a willing blocker.

They came to the table with Harris, so I think that should be evidence they want to keep the talent here.

GEM
02-24-2015, 06:46 PM
I hope so. I keep forgetting about the Harris signing, which I don't know why I forget cause he's one of my favorites! :D

DenBronx
02-24-2015, 06:49 PM

Agreed. This blows...

The shitty part is Broncos fans have been wanting a talented DT for years and years. We finally got one and can't even hang onto him.

Rick
02-24-2015, 06:58 PM
Agreed. This blows...

The shitty part is Broncos fans have been wanting a talented DT for years and years. We finally got one and can't even hang onto him.

I agree, outside of DT who there is no way we are losing, if I had to chose between Franklin, JT and Pot Roast I would pick Pot Roast.

I am torn however between paying him and wanting a guy I spent a first on to get on the field. If we hadn't spent a first round pick on Sly I think it would be an easier choice.

GEM
02-24-2015, 07:09 PM
I agree, outside of DT who there is no way we are losing, if I had to chose between Franklin, JT and Pot Roast I would pick Pot Roast.

I am torn however between paying him and wanting a guy I spent a first on to get on the field. If we hadn't spent a first round pick on Sly I think it would be an easier choice.

In that same line of thinking Pot Roast was only on the field for 50% of the snaps in order to give Sly and Austin reps, so maybe they feel those guys are ready.

I don't really like it because I think highly of Pot Roast, but In John I Trust. :lol: I also don't really like it because of how long we have begged and pleaded for Dline.

DenBronx
02-24-2015, 07:14 PM
Sly didn't seem to make an impact. Outside of Pot Roast some of the other guys we have on the DL are overrated. That's just my opinion but the coaches obviously have more insight then I do.

VonDoom
02-24-2015, 09:07 PM
I still trust Elway, but I have to say, this offseason is not getting off to the best start, especially if Spano's latest report is to be believed. We're likely going to franchise DT, which is fine, but I'd hope to work out a longer term deal for everyone's sake (and probably some cap relief this year). Our next level of FA were JT, Pot Roast, Franklin and Moore, and we're basically letting all of them walk, except maybe Moore, who I think is the most expendable out of all of those guys. I understand not wanting to pay top of the market value for these guys, but we'll still have to replace them somehow and chances are, paying a street FA less means we're getting a lesser player (though as someone above pointed out, this was not the case with Decker/Sanders, so you never know). I know we can't keep everyone, but we already had some holes to shore up, and now we're creating even more holes by not re-signing any of our own guys.

ShaneFalco
02-24-2015, 10:10 PM
Terrance Knighton, Orlando Franklin Leaving Denver Broncos

http://justblogbaby.com/2015/02/24/terrance-knighton-orlando-franklin-leaving-denver-broncos/

Super pissed Franklin is leaving. Potroast, i kind of expected. But how they going to let DEBO walk?

Rick
02-24-2015, 10:26 PM
With Big O we may not actually have a choice, it may be more than money.

Big O has made it clear he wants to be a tackle and Elway may just see him as a guard. Even if the money is right, unless we agree for him to move back to tackle he may not even want to stay.

Lancane
02-24-2015, 10:31 PM
The Raiders are expected to make a serious run at several Denver free agents by most reports, though the Jaguars have a serious interest in J. Thomas.

Lancane
02-24-2015, 10:37 PM
Looks like Oakland wants to make a play for J. Thomas, Knighton and Franklin, that will be a sad day if it happens.

Simple Jaded
02-24-2015, 10:53 PM
I think Debo ends up in Miami, just a hunch.

Lancane
02-24-2015, 10:56 PM
I think Debo ends up in Miami, just a hunch.

Could happen, but I could see them seriously wanting to face Denver in return for the 'lack of respect' as Knighton claimed.

ShaneFalco
02-24-2015, 11:01 PM
you dont let a man like DEBO go to FA!

Simple Jaded
02-24-2015, 11:04 PM
Could happen, but I could see them seriously wanting to face Denver in return for the 'lack of respect' as Knighton claimed.

What lack of respect is Knighton whining about. . .er, I mean referring to?

DenBronx
02-24-2015, 11:41 PM
Looks like Oakland wants to make a play for J. Thomas, Knighton and Franklin, that will be a sad day if it happens.

Yeah im pissed off. Not only do we lose Del Rio to that shit hole we lose some of our best FAs to them.

23 mill cap. Dont franchise DT please...just pay...the...man! Franchise JT or Knighton and let the odd man out walk. See what the markets like for Franklin and Welker, once it softens up then find bargains. The team must be high on Sly if they are ignoring Knighton.

Either way were going to lose some good players.

ShaneFalco
02-24-2015, 11:56 PM
i wonder if the fax machine was the real reason they let Dumveril go.

Simple Jaded
02-25-2015, 12:06 AM
The Broncos were always going to have tough decisions to make this year but when you let them go you can't control where they go. Try and remember we're worrying about the decisions of the people who put these players together in the first place.

Iirc Terrance Knighton got benched his last year in J-ville and ended up signing for $3 M/per.

Not resigning Potroast isn't disrespectful, it's life in the NFL. If I'm Wiiliams and Austin I'm thinking his "look how bad this D is w/o me" remarks are pretty disrespectful though.

GEM
02-25-2015, 12:37 AM
If you have a list of 4 key guys and you let 2 go, keep the worst out of the 4 and tag the best out of the 4 instead of using the saved money on a long term deal for said player, you lost in FA.

I'm really not happy with losing pot roast just because its been such a desired commodity for so long, then lose an offensive lineman who is very good at multiple positions with no significant player behind him...now you're just making stupid decisions. Not freaking happy....at all!

GEM
02-25-2015, 12:41 AM
And Franklin has been down in Jamaica wearing his broncos gear.. haven't seen any if the other guys wearing it...he freaking wants to be here and I don't think that is valued enough!! Haven't heard a word out of him other than he wants to be here. Damn it **** **** ****!!! Pissed ******* off!!!

Northman
02-25-2015, 12:50 AM
While DT has long been sought in Denver people need to remember this isnt the Shanahan era any longer, this is the John Elway era. It will be fine.

ShaneFalco
02-25-2015, 12:54 AM
but its DEBO....

GEM
02-25-2015, 12:55 AM
I can't see his vision right now and its bugging me!

DenBronx
02-25-2015, 01:06 AM
The Broncos were always going to have tough decisions to make this year but when you let them go you can't control where they go. Try and remember we're worrying about the decisions of the people who put these players together in the first place.

Iirc Terrance Knighton got benched his last year in J-ville and ended up signing for $3 M/per.

Not resigning Potroast isn't disrespectful, it's life in the NFL. If I'm Wiiliams and Austin I'm thinking his "look how bad this D is w/o me" remarks are pretty disrespectful though.

Has nothing to do with disrespecting him and has everything to do with what he did for the defense. Imo he was a huge upgrade over what we didnt have for damn near over a decade.

Canmore
02-25-2015, 01:09 AM
I can't see his vision right now and its bugging me!

I think his vision is the salary cap and we don't have many viable options, since we look like we are keeping DT.

Simple Jaded
02-25-2015, 01:28 AM
Has nothing to do with disrespecting him and has everything to do with what he did for the defense. Imo he was a huge upgrade over what we didnt have for damn near over a decade.

Completely 100% agree, I wanna see Potroast stay. I think I might have him above Manning on wish list but that's not logical. My comment about disrespect is in response to Lancane who said they're feeling disrespected somehow and how disrespectful Potroasts comments are about where the D is without him.

If the Broncos aren't willing to spend on Potroast we might wanna start getting acquainted with bargain buys like Jerrell Powe.

ShaneFalco
02-25-2015, 01:54 AM
i want to see manning restructure like brady. Kinda ticks me off. Brady proved that a ring matters more to him then a few mil.

Canmore
02-25-2015, 02:00 AM
i want to see manning restructure like brady. Kinda ticks me off. Brady proved that a ring matters more to him then a few mil.

If Elway wants Manning to restructure then I expect that is what will happen. I would really be surprised if that wasn't the case.

GEM
02-25-2015, 08:27 AM
I think his vision is the salary cap and we don't have many viable options, since we look like we are keeping DT.

We look like we are sticking a 1 year tag on DT. If we are losing all the other guys, we should be locking DT down for a contract, not a tag.

DenBronx
02-25-2015, 08:29 AM

You're right. Brady restructuring actually helped the Pats more than most realize. Had he not restructured then they maybe wouldn't have got a couple key pieces.

How bad does Manning want it?

VonDoom
02-25-2015, 09:05 AM
You're right. Brady restructuring actually helped the Pats more than most realize. Had he not restructured then they maybe wouldn't have got a couple key pieces.

How bad does Manning want it?

I agree that Brady's original restructure helped that team be competitive every year. But guess what? We were competitive every year that Manning has been here, even at a higher cap number. The Pats won this year and Brady's cap hit was $14.8 million. It's not exactly Russell Wilson numbers we're talking about. They won because Belichick is smart and made great moves on the defensive side of the ball. Also, Brady's latest "restructure" costs the team a million dollars more in cap space for each of the next three years.

As for Manning, we hired him as a mercenary and paid top dollar. Take a look at the free agent QB market this year and tell me that it wasn't worth paying him that big contract three years ago. He hasn't been a Bronco for life and I see no reason why he would take a restructure or pay cut. I also don't want to see them restructure anything at this point; pushing $10-11 million of dead money into next year if/when he retires is not smart business.

VonDoom
02-25-2015, 09:11 AM
Also, we have to consider the source. Spano didn't talk to Franklin and he just said he has a "source" that says it will take "a miracle" for him to come back. But that's just speculation for now. Considering Franklin himself said:

Orlando Franklin @OFranklin74 · 12h 12 hours ago

It's funny today I read an article saying that I said I would not be returning to the Broncos. I have no idea how I could say that.

I'm in Jamaica been here for the last week. Was in cabo Mexico before that and Toronto Canada before that so I don't know when or how I

Spoke with a reporter for them to report that.

Of course, I expect him to say that, but Spano's article implies that it's a done deal that he's gone which is just untrue as of now.

GEM
02-25-2015, 09:43 AM
Now I can breathe a little bit. I thought it was weird that on his facebook, Big O is wearing Broncos gear and then within a day of those pics posting there is an article about him not coming back.

Spano is getting on my nerves, seriously!

Rick
02-25-2015, 10:03 AM
John and Gary are laughing at all of us overreacting fans in that avatar of yours every time they see us jumping off a cliff when we read an article that says we are signing or not signing someone when the FA marketplace hasn't opened yet.

They seem to be getting a kick out of it. :)

TXBRONC
02-25-2015, 10:37 AM
John and Gary are laughing at all of us overreacting fans in that avatar of yours every time they see us jumping off a cliff when we read an article that says we are signing or not signing someone when the FA marketplace hasn't opened yet.

I would not be surprised if they actually do find it humorous.

GEM
02-25-2015, 11:03 AM

Right....I can't handle this roller coaster!!!! :laugh: I should just go into hibernation during this time of year, it usually just gets me all up in arms.

OB
02-25-2015, 11:34 AM
So not true for Orlando but more than likely true about Pot Roast?

VonDoom
02-25-2015, 12:18 PM
So not true for Orlando but more than likely true about Pot Roast?

Spano claims he got a text message from Knighton that confirms he's not coming back.

OB
02-25-2015, 12:48 PM
Spano claims he got a text message from Knighton that confirms he's not coming back.

:pout:

Lancane
02-25-2015, 12:56 PM
What lack of respect is Knighton whining about. . .er, I mean referring to?

LOL... Because the Broncos supposedly didn't make him a priority and focus on retaining him as his camp made an effort.