PDA

View Full Version : Wade Phillips Explains His 3-4 Defense

Cugel
01-29-2015, 05:58 PM
Some of you may have seen this video on Mile High Report, but it's worth promoting here because it's such an awesome video detailed explanation by Wade Phillips of his 3-4 techniques:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1422503916&v=iupBixjjyZY&x-yt-cl=85027636

He explains that you coach the players differently based on what their skill set is. Every player at every position has his assignment, but they might line up differently or play differently depending on their abilities. For instance, a faster SSLB will line up a shade further outside the TE if he's a faster player, because he can get an angle to get round the TE and get to the QB in pass-defense, but a slower stronger guy might line up tighter on the TE because he doesn't have the same speed. That faster guy can recover quicker and get back on the TE even though he's out wider because of his speed so it allows him to take that wider angle.

Their assignments are the same but how they play can be totally different because you adjust the scheme to their particular strengths and weaknesses. I thought this was an excellent point.

Seeing this reminds me why Wade Phillips has been such a successful defensive coach, he coaches to his players, he doesn't try and force all his players into a mold. He says the essence of coaching is knowing the strengths and weaknesses of each player and coaching him accordingly.

Jsteve01
01-29-2015, 06:09 PM
I love this hire as much or more than the kubiak signing. Trevathan, Marshall, ware and Miller on the field at the same time? Come on. And don't forget his 3-4 ends aren't your typical 5 techs and will do a lot of pressuring. All while getting coached up by the guy that helped what change the mold for 3-4 ends. Jackson and Wolfe will go.off

Joel
01-29-2015, 06:55 PM
It goes back to Bums line that Shula and Bryant "can take his'n and beat your'n and take your'n and beat his'n." That's all about playing to particular strengths and mitigating particular weaknesses rather than trying to pound a square peg into a round hole, which is the difference between good and great coaches. Same as with gameplanning and in-game adjustments, too.

The funny thing is it seems like most coaches, even head coaches, are either really good at that but have poor strategic vision and insight, so they can turn a dog team into a playoff team but never beat OTHER playoff teams, or else have a perfect system they can run flawlessly ONLY with equally perfect players, so they can get an EXISTING championship team over the hump but can't BUILD one. Much as I loathe his arrogant dishonesty, Belicheat's virtually in a class by himself as a throwback coach who can do both.

Cugel
01-29-2015, 07:46 PM
The "system is everything" coaches can only coach if they can find the perfect players, which is rare. The "personality" coaches like Fox can coach to their players strengths and weaknesses, but they don't have strategic vision and coaching ability.

It takes being able to do both to create the best defense. That video makes very clear why Wade is such a good defensive coach, but his personality just isn't suited to being a head coach.

Ziggy
01-30-2015, 12:54 AM
It also explains why signing Pot Roast isn't a priority. Sly is a much better fit at NT.

DenBronx
01-30-2015, 06:18 AM
It also explains why signing Pot Roast isn't a priority. Sly is a much better fit at NT.

Uhhh what? Sly is a bum.

TXBRONC
01-30-2015, 08:07 AM
Uhhh what? Sly is a bum.

Like receivers it takes about three years for defensive tackles to develop besides that he still played pretty well.

Ziggy I think Knighton is still a priority because he is very good nose tackle arguably one of the best in the League.

Ziggy
01-30-2015, 12:49 PM
Uhhh what? Sly is a bum.

You're really ready to write off a young DT that was used as a two gap space eater for the last two seasons and did it well? Don't be fooled by the lack of sexy stats. He did exactly what he was asked to do.

Cugel
01-30-2015, 03:01 PM
We will see with Sylvester Williams. So far he has been totally underwhelming. Simply NOT an impact player. Normally, you see flashes from a guy by now. One play he does something that makes everybody say "wow!" that guy could be an All-Pro, and then the next play he does something completely stupid or is caught out of position and the other team makes a big play, and you shake your head and say "this guy will never be anything." That's normal with rookies and you have to be patient.

But, with Williams there just hasn't been anything at all. He's been basically invisible. That's not a good sign. He could turn it around, but he'd better start soon, because with a new DC in town, none of the previous guys are "his guys" and he's wedded to none of them.

It's a long job interview for everyone on that team. Sly needs to step it up big time if he's going to stick around.

Jsteve01
01-30-2015, 04:58 PM
We will see with Sylvester Williams. So far he has been totally underwhelming. Simply NOT an impact player. Normally, you see flashes from a guy by now. One play he does something that makes everybody say "wow!" that guy could be an All-Pro, and then the next play he does something completely stupid or is caught out of position and the other team makes a big play, and you shake your head and say "this guy will never be anything." That's normal with rookies and you have to be patient.

But, with Williams there just hasn't been anything at all. He's been basically invisible. That's not a good sign. He could turn it around, but he'd better start soon, because with a new DC in town, none of the previous guys are "his guys" and he's wedded to none of them.

It's a long job interview for everyone on that team. Sly needs to step it up big time if he's going to stick around. you and I were watching different guys. Last year when playing penetrator alongside Vickerson, sly had consecutive 5 tackle, 1 sack games in weeks 15 and 16. This year he wasn't allowed to penetrate and had more two gap assignments. If five tackles and a sack from a rookie tackle doesn't turn your head then I'm jot sure what your criteria are.

Jsteve01
01-30-2015, 05:13 PM
Just rewatched. I love his ideas on alignment, assignment and technique. And I love that he emphasized teaching vs coaching. Huge. I think our front 7 benefits hugely from Wade. Aaaaand Elway was very frustrated with a perceived lack of focus on teaching and player development from the previous regime

Ravage!!!
01-30-2015, 05:32 PM
you and I were watching different guys. Last year when playing penetrator alongside Vickerson, sly had consecutive 5 tackle, 1 sack games in weeks 15 and 16. This year he wasn't allowed to penetrate and had more two gap assignments. If five tackles and a sack from a rookie tackle doesn't turn your head then I'm jot sure what your criteria are.

2014 was his sophmore season.

Jsteve01
01-30-2015, 07:54 PM
2014 was his sophmore season. Uh yeah I thik I made that clear, although the Broncos aren't still playing this is still the current year, so when I said last year and when playing alongside Vickerson, I thought it would be self explanatory. Then I said this year he had more two gap responsibility beause he didn't have the benefit of penetrating the way he did last year.

Dapper Dan
02-01-2015, 01:04 PM
Nice video. Thanks for posting.

Spiritguy
02-05-2015, 02:09 PM
As a followup to Wade's 3/4 video the new Linebackers coach Reggie Herring talks a bit about how Texans used their linebackers. Will be interesting to see how they utilize these guys.

http://prod.www.texans.clubs.nfl.com/tv-media/videos/Xs-and-Os-Herring-on-3-4-switches/8289ecb4-147b-40a6-8140-c65b96df65d5