PDA

View Full Version : Denver Broncos coaching renaissance is complete: The band is back together

Denver Native (Carol)
01-29-2015, 05:06 PM
The Denver Broncos, despite having existed for only 55 years, find themselves in a renaissance period entering the 2015 season. What once was old is new again. The band is back together.

After John Elway hired Gary Kubiak to be Broncos head coach, the dominoes began falling, and now we have a reunion of just about every player and coach from the Broncos in the early 1990's as key decision-makers in this franchise. If you were a Broncos water boy in 1991, come on down; there's a spot on Elway's scouting staff for you.

To be honest, at first, I wasn't sold on the Broncos band reunion. I am not sure how a sudden resurgence of 1990s Broncos football would take in the 2010s. Sure, in many ways, that period is the golden age of this franchise. Two Super Bowls and a handful of Hall of Fame players serve as testament to that legacy. But the game has evolved. The zone blocking scheme the Broncos revolutionized reached its league-adoption apex less than a decade later. What once was new is old again.

But as I went about compiling this post and looking at the resumés of all of these reunited Broncos, my hesitance has turned to excitement. This is an impressive group of football minds who have each bled orange and blue at times during their respective careers, and there's something to be said for having employees who care deeply for your organization (and your owner Pat Bowlen).

rest - plus cute photo on link - http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/1/29/7939907/denver-broncos-coaches-gary-kubiak-wade-phillips-john-elway

Cugel
01-30-2015, 03:07 PM
"We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it!"

Shazam!
01-30-2015, 07:05 PM
I love having all the former Broncos coming together. Hopefully that can out the attitude back in this team.

Joel
01-30-2015, 07:12 PM
I love having all the former Broncos coming together. Hopefully that can out the attitude back in this team.
I still love the guy to death, but watching his 'Skins go in a very different direction than Kubiaks Texans and now the Ravens offense, I can't help wondering how much of our championship teams offensive prowess was Kubes and Denny and how much was Shanny. Plus Wades return (and Houston hiring) shows Kubiak has a better eye for DC talent and is fully aware of his own defensive deficiencies, and I'm not sure Wade would've come to work for the guy who succeeded him in Denver anyway. Also, Elway and Mannings egos would be far more likely to reach critical mass with Shannys added.