PDA

View Full Version : Broncos likely moving to 3-4 defense under Wade Phillips or Vance Joseph

Denver Native (Carol)
01-27-2015, 09:19 PM
PHOENIX — Whether their defensive coordinator becomes the guy they most want, Vance Joseph, or their second choice, Wade Phillips, the Broncos are likely about to transition to the 3-4 alignment.

The Broncos used the 4-3 defense the past four seasons with coach John Fox. For the most part, Fox preferred the 4-3 because he believed it was easier for his defense to fit the running lanes.

The past three seasons, the Broncos ranked second, seventh and third against the run. But both Joseph and Phillips are 3-4 guys because of its ability to better rush the passer.

In a 3-4, offenses never know where the fourth pass rusher is coming from. The Broncos already have two key components common in successful 3-4 defenses: Two premier pass rushers on the edge in Von Miller and DeMarcus Ware, and three quality cornerbacks capable of playing man coverage in Chris Harris, Aqib Talib and Bradley Roby.

"We've already been running something like a 3-4," Miller said. "You look at our base defense last year, all DeMarcus had to do was stand up and it was a 3-4."

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27406338/broncos-likely-moving-3-4-defense-under-wade

BigDaddyBronco
01-28-2015, 12:43 PM
Hmmm, interesting.

What don't we have to run a 3-4?

NT - Lemme see. I don't know if Knighton wants to stick around to play NT, but it seems like he could be a good NT. Marvin Austin and Slyvester Williams might need to bulk up a little, but they could work as well. It would be a work in progress for these guys.

DE - Seems like Malik Jackson would be a shoe in. Wolfe could be a fit as well. Still need some depth.

OLB - Ware and Von Miller would be great at this. No doubts here.

ILB - Umm. Both Danny T. and Brandon Marshall are pretty good WLB's, but asking them to play in the middle of a 3-4 they might be a little light. Seems like a bad fit.

CB & S - No worries. We have good CB's that can play man-to-man if they were asked to do so. We have a SS who played well in a 3-4, and the FS is paying a zone anyway. WE should be a good fit here.

My conclusion - We would be better against the pass as we would get more pressure with blitzes and changes in the pass rush schemes, but we might suffer in stopping the run if our NT's don't adapt quickly and we don't beef up at ILB.

OrangeHoof
01-28-2015, 12:57 PM
I think a 3-4 is more effective against speed rushers and less effective against power backs. I think Von would get more sacks in a 3-4.

MOtorboat
01-28-2015, 01:44 PM
Denver has basically been lining up in one, so I don't think it's much of a change.

Bronco9798
01-28-2015, 01:45 PM
Just win the Super Bowl, time is running out.

G_Money
01-28-2015, 02:01 PM
I'd re-sign Knighton then for sure. Our LB core is pretty light for full-time duty, though. It opens up some LB options in the draft. Perryman still works (boy would I enjoy that), and Stephone Anthony would intrigue me later in the draft. It shouldn't require much of a change in personnel, though - just an adjustment in implementation. We do a lot of 3-front looks anyway with a LB sitting in as a 4th "DL" in pass-rushing situations.

Definitely need more (and slightly larger) LBs.

Joel
01-28-2015, 02:08 PM
Hmmm, interesting.

What don't we have to run a 3-4?

NT - Lemme see. I don't know if Knighton wants to stick around to play NT, but it seems like he could be a good NT. Marvin Austin and Slyvester Williams might need to bulk up a little, but they could work as well. It would be a work in progress for these guys.

DE - Seems like Malik Jackson would be a shoe in. Wolfe could be a fit as well. Still need some depth.

OLB - Ware and Von Miller would be great at this. No doubts here.

ILB - Umm. Both Danny T. and Brandon Marshall are pretty good WLB's, but asking them to play in the middle of a 3-4 they might be a little light. Seems like a bad fit.

CB & S - No worries. We have good CB's that can play man-to-man if they were asked to do so. We have a SS who played well in a 3-4, and the FS is paying a zone anyway. WE should be a good fit here.

My conclusion - We would be better against the pass as we would get more pressure with blitzes and changes in the pass rush schemes, but we might suffer in stopping the run if our NT's don't adapt quickly and we don't beef up at ILB.
Trevathan and Marshall may be a bit light for 3-4 OLB, but both are fine for 3-4 ILB covering receivers in the middle of the field. Unless they joined the OLBs on lots of blitzes, I wouldn't expect a problem; even then, Marshall at 6'1" 250's not significantly undersized (if at all.) DJ Williams went from a great 4-3 Will to great 3-4 ILB the last time we had a 3-4, even though he was listed at 242 back then and had been for a while, so playing at 240 shouldn't impair Trevathan. We've got the personnel to field a full complement of excellent 3-4 starters.

The sole issue I see is depth at NT and OLB. Jackson, Wolfe and Williams would give us 2 quality 3-4 DEs with a pretty good backup, and if Irving's fully healthy and as improved as his fans say, he'd be at least a decent backup for Marshall and Trevathan (if not, there's Lamin Barrow, though HE may be a bit light for anything but 4-3 Will.) The questions would be whether Quanterus Smith can be a solid 3-4 OLB when Ware or Miller is tired or hurt, and if Austin can handle a 3-4 NTs style (and maybe add a little mass without losing effectiveness) so Knighton would have quality relief before teams exhausted him.

I'd love to see us in a 3-4, not just because of the starting personnel, but because its trade of run stopping for pass rushing and LB coverage is well suited to an NFL moving ever more toward passing and away from running. That said, I'll wait to find out our next DC before getting too pumped over it; we don't know yet who it'll be, and if it's a 4-3 guy, we'll surely stick with that.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-28-2015, 02:09 PM
The role for Knighton and Austin would remain almost the same.

G_Money
01-28-2015, 02:29 PM
Because Wade uses a 1-gap 3-4, I'm not that worried about the DT weight. Sly and Austin are both big enough for what Wade needs - planetoids aren't required. I'd still get Knighton back, though. Wolfe should be a pretty outstanding DE in the system too.

Phillips had Ware basically on the line a LOT in Dallas when he was there, IIRC, so if that holds true then Miller is gonna be a weird hybrid. Which is okay - he's gotten better at pass coverage. He might play both in side and outside depending on the matchup. And I think Marshall would be better as an ILB than Trevathan - Danny is a Will, and still pretty light in the pants for the duties of run support that ILBs are still required for.

But guys like Nelson and Barrow are probably SOL when when it comes to finding a fit in that defense, as you say. We'll have to work on the LB depth, and I wouldn't turn down an inside force at the position.

G_Money
01-28-2015, 02:33 PM
The other nice thing about a 3-4 is that we should be playing more press coverage, which works in favor of Talib and Roby. Harris can do anything, so it won't bother him none either. ;)

Joel
01-28-2015, 02:52 PM
Because Wade uses a 1-gap 3-4, I'm not that worried about the DT weight. Sly and Austin are both big enough for what Wade needs - planetoids aren't required. I'd still get Knighton back, though. Wolfe should be a pretty outstanding DE in the system too.
I'll defer to your greater knowledge there; my own impression is that Austin would be the relief NT if only because Sly's in an UT role now, and the style that requires strikes me as closer to a 3-4 DE than 3-4 NT. If Austin's big enough already, that simplifies the whole issue and lets us put the best 2 of Wolfe, Jackson and Williams out there as 3-4 DEs with a great rotational backup.

Phillips had Ware basically on the line a LOT in Dallas when he was there, IIRC, so if that holds true then Miller is gonna be a weird hybrid. Which is okay - he's gotten better at pass coverage. He might play both in side and outside depending on the matchup. And I think Marshall would be better as an ILB than Trevathan - Danny is a Will, and still pretty light in the pants for the duties of run support that ILBs are still required for.
Millers coverage skills have improved as much as I'd hoped; I still say he's the kind of do-it-all LB ideal for 4-3 MLB (but don't dare re-open THAT can of worms. ;)) A 3-4 shifts that master-of-all-trades role from a MLB to both OLBs, so he'd be just as fierce there, likely even opening up more chances for ILBs to blitz, whether that's Marshall beside Trevathan, Irving or TBA.

THAT question boils down to whether our 3-4 OLBs would be true OLBs (i.e. required to cover rather than just blitz and run stop) or just dedicated pass rushers like OLBs in so many other 3-4s (e.g. Ware with Wades Cowboys.) The more the OLBs cover, the more the ILBs must rush. I think Trevathan would be big and good enough to be our 7th run stopper if coverage were his only other frequent duty (and Marshall led the team in tackles despite missing nearly a month, so I'm not worried about him there) but expecting him to get past linemen to QBs with any regularity is probably expecting too much.

But guys like Nelson and Barrow are probably SOL when when it comes to finding a fit in that defense, as you say. We'll have to work on the LB depth, and I wouldn't turn down an inside force at the position.
Well, reports on draft prospect meetings so far have been pretty LB-heavy, so perhaps that's a temporary problem. I'm definitely more worried about rotational/injury depth in a 3-4 though.

Ziggy
01-28-2015, 03:33 PM
Wade most recently has run a one gap 3-4. As he said in a recent interview, his scheme will depend on the talent on the roster. That's the whole reason he went from the 2 gap 3-4 that he initially ran to a one gap scheme.

The value of Pot Roast will fluctuate depending on which scheme he wants to bring in here. In a one gap system, Sly Williams might actually a better fit at NT. In a 2 gap, Pot Roast or a similar player would be a must have. Trevathan would fit fine as a wlb in either scheme but would be more effective in a 2 gap system. Wolfe and Malik are great fits as DE's in a one gap scheme. Wolfe and Sly would be great fits at DE in a 2 gap scheme.

Vance Joseph worked under Wade in Houston, and in a similar scheme in San Fran. I would assume that he would bring a 3-4 D to the table. I don't know that anyone is sure which one it would be. For those worried about the conversion, Denver basically ran a 3-4 one gap scheme on passing downs this season.

Simple Jaded
01-28-2015, 03:45 PM
Kubiak stole this idea from Joel.

Joel
01-28-2015, 06:54 PM
Wade most recently has run a one gap 3-4. As he said in a recent interview, his scheme will depend on the talent on the roster. That's the whole reason he went from the 2 gap 3-4 that he initially ran to a one gap scheme.

The value of Pot Roast will fluctuate depending on which scheme he wants to bring in here. In a one gap system, Sly Williams might actually a better fit at NT. In a 2 gap, Pot Roast or a similar player would be a must have. Trevathan would fit fine as a wlb in either scheme but would be more effective in a 2 gap system. Wolfe and Malik are great fits as DE's in a one gap scheme. Wolfe and Sly would be great fits at DE in a 2 gap scheme.

Vance Joseph worked under Wade in Houston, and in a similar scheme in San Fran. I would assume that he would bring a 3-4 D to the table. I don't know that anyone is sure which one it would be. For those worried about the conversion, Denver basically ran a 3-4 one gap scheme on passing downs this season.
Is it really as simple as the highlighted part though? I know Miller goes to RDE in our nickel, Marshall and Trevathan play coverage LB and Wolfe/Jackson slides inside, but isn't Sly the NT then? I know Ware's still the LDE even though a primary pass rusher, and instead of a 3rd LB we had an extra DB out there. It may be a similar effect overall, but 258 lb. Ware's undersized for a 3-4 DE in that comparison, and plays a role more typical of the LBs (or DB) who are also undersized for it. All of which suggests it would work far better with a true 3-4 once we transitioned, but it would BE a transition.

I wish they'd hurry up and hire Wade so we know WHAT kind of base we'll use next year. At this point it looks VERY unlikely Cincy will ever release Joseph, and we've more than sufficiently (and very publicly) underscored the fact Wade's the second choice of his two former players and the team that fired him. He's a stand up guy, but I gotta think there's a limit to how long he'll endure that kind of "don't call us, we'll call you" treatment before he takes another DC offer if he's willing to accept that he's not getting another HC job anywhere.

TXBRONC
01-28-2015, 07:12 PM
I'd re-sign Knighton then for sure. Our LB core is pretty light for full-time duty, though. It opens up some LB options in the draft. Perryman still works (boy would I enjoy that), and Stephone Anthony would intrigue me later in the draft. It shouldn't require much of a change in personnel, though - just an adjustment in implementation. We do a lot of 3-front looks anyway with a LB sitting in as a 4th "DL" in pass-rushing situations.

Definitely need more (and slightly larger) LBs.

I think everywhere but inside linebacker Denver would be ok.

dogfish
01-29-2015, 03:46 PM
gotta bring nate irving back-- he's easily our best downhill gap plugger, and most natural fit as a 34 ILB. . .

Lancane
01-29-2015, 03:59 PM
gotta bring nate irving back-- he's easily our best downhill gap plugger, and most natural fit as a 34 ILB. . .

Yeah, but we need him to stay healthy...there is some concern in that regard Dog. Most of our linebackers are over the 230lbs. mark, so a good number of them will get a serious look inside. Barrow is slightly underweight, but Denver will seriously need to go after some rush linebacker depth in the draft, they have Miller, Ware and Smith, Youboty and Anunike are both good fits if they can translate their talent at the position. Key will be nose tackle and depth, plus safety with Moore likely moving on in free agency.

underrated29
01-29-2015, 04:19 PM
Yeah, but we need him to stay healthy...there is some concern in that regard Dog. Most of our linebackers are over the 230lbs. mark, so a good number of them will get a serious look inside. Barrow is slightly underweight, but Denver will seriously need to go after some rush linebacker depth in the draft, they have Miller, Ware and Smith, Youboty and Anunike are both good fits if they can translate their talent at the position. Key will be nose tackle and depth, plus safety with Moore likely moving on in free agency.

IDK- Lorentee Mccray is a boss at rushing the passer. He should be fine for us. Depth is needed sure, but I think we have plenty of guys. Sly seems like the best fit at NT and Austin too. I agree about saftey. To me, now that we know the D we are going to run, it is the biggest need.

Rick
01-29-2015, 04:19 PM
McCray may end up surprising at rush LB as well. The times I have seen him in limited duty he always seems to be generating pressure.

Lancane
01-29-2015, 04:39 PM
IDK- Lorentee Mccray is a boss at rushing the passer. He should be fine for us. Depth is needed sure, but I think we have plenty of guys. Sly seems like the best fit at NT and Austin too. I agree about saftey. To me, now that we know the D we are going to run, it is the biggest need.

I should have included McCray, don't know why I overlooked him - was not on purpose. That could change things, that would give Denver Ware, Miller, Smith, McCray, Youboty and Aninuke, still would not be surprised if Denver drafted a rush linebacker with one of their ten draft picks. I think Sly Williams will be kicked out to the end position in the 3-4, he really doesn't have the bulk to be your standard nose, or he could play outside but kick inside during passing downs...same for Austin. IMHO I believe that keeping Knighton would be ideal for the Broncos, but they'll have to draft a nose tackle or two. Not sure I believe safety is as big a need as offensive line help or defensive line help, we have Ward who I feel went underappreciated by some, but Moore really lacks the killer instinct I think they need at safety, they really need to find a hard hitter who is not afraid to be fined when he knocks the snot out of someone.

Simple Jaded
01-29-2015, 06:23 PM
Kenrick Ellis makes a nice NT in Phillips 34.

Joel
01-29-2015, 06:37 PM
Let's assume, for simplicitys sake, that means we'll find a way to keep Potroast, and further assume that plus Wolfe/Jacksons ideal fit at 3-4 DE gives us a great starting line, a solid rotational NT in Austin to keep Potroast fresh and a solid rotational DE in Williams who could likely play NT in a pinch.

That just leaves LBs: Miller/Ware suit the 3-4s more critical OLB role as well as Wolfe/Jackson do DE, and Marshall has enough size*, speed and coverage to be a fine 3-4 ILB, plus he led the team in tackles. Trevathan's too light for 3-4 OLB, but not truly small, and is elite in coverage, so we could just leave him there unless/until running an all out blitz; as a 7th pass rusher/run stopper, he's more than good enough, and if Miller and Ware usually rush we can't leave Marshall as sole coverage LB. Now we're down to backup LBs, where I concede less certainty, but here are our current options:

Barrett, Shaquil (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/Shaquil-Barrett/20345da3-fa8e-46df-a686-961588421b82)
LB
6-1
R
Colorado State

Barrow, Lamin (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/Lamin-Barrow/23e64e6c-ad41-46ea-8269-a557b6e41331)
LB
6-1
R
LSU

Davis, Todd (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/Todd-Davis/745f7af4-e7b3-4d40-aa88-8734914ddb26)
LB
6-1
R
Sacramento State

Marshall, Brandon (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/Brandon-Marshall/50224e48-91ca-40e0-9c01-042327dce97c)
LB
6-1
Nevada

McCray, Lerentee (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/Lerentee-McCray/11c2b2ca-d88c-4d64-b52a-4068e031d394)
LB
6-3
Florida

Miller, Von (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/Von-Miller/036470c3-df00-47e4-a936-86200f2c88dc)
LB
6-3
Texas A&M

Nelson, Corey (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/Corey-Nelson/f456eb82-eff6-4311-bfd0-6d6663b37d04)
OLB
6-0
R
Oklahoma

Reserve/Injured http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster.html

Anunike, Kenny (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/Kenny-Anunike/5eb437e2-c6ea-424f-8c0f-e9863f8e8052)
DE
6-4
R
Duke

Irving, Nate (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/Nate-Irving/2f16290f-0271-403a-9ade-c1037b306a3b)
LB
6-1
North Carolina State

Smith, Quanterus (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/Quanterus-Smith/c585a580-2e9c-4889-a3d1-7ad2ded93349)
DE
6-5
Western Kentucky

Trevathan, Danny (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/Danny-Trevathan/473b9a9c-e340-4f65-ad4c-09a60be3dfbc)
LB
6-1
Kentucky

Youboty, John (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/John-Youboty/caa9f131-2dfe-4382-a1b4-a8775f4ec34b)
DE
6-4
Temple

Irving is probably first choice at ILB if healthy, but most other choices just look too small to me: I still really like Steven Johnson, but if Trevathans 240 is pushing it even at ILB, Johnsons and Lamin Barrows* 237 would definitely be too light, while Todd Davis and Corey Nelson are lighter than Seahawks SAFETY Kam Chancellor (granted, he's a SS, big even for that, and plays like a LB, but the point stands.) It's worth noting three are rookies who might add weight without lost performance, but there's no guarantee.

Backups at the critical 3-4 OLB are just as murky to me, and even more pressing with Miller in a contract year and Ware on the wrong side of 30: 2015s backups could be 2016s starters. Anunike, Barrett, McCray and Smith and Youboty are the options now, and two are pass-rushing DEs rather than true LBs. Smith and McCray showed occasional flashes early this year, but I wouldn't want to rely on either if they had to honor the run and sometimes even cover, not just sprint for the QB.

So, thoughts from those who know? Beyond that (and assuming we keep ALL those players, doubtful given how many are too small for ANY 3-4 LB role) we must turn to the draft or FA for answers.

*While the team site lists Marshall at 238, and Pro Football Reference at 242, NFL.com, ESPN and Wikipedia all have him at 250, so I'm presuming he gained weight since reporting to his first Broncos camp; likewise, the team site has Barrow at a lean 229, but he's a rookie and NFL.com says he's 237, which I take as growing into his pro weight (and I haven't doublechecked our other LBs.)

Lancane
01-29-2015, 06:38 PM
Kenrick Ellis makes a nice NT in Phillips 34.

True, but problem is that he's really an unproven commodity compared to Knighton, he'd be good for depth purposes. But they couldn't pencil him in as the starter from day one like Knighton. Not that I'd be against them signing him to compete, but it would be nice to have a proven nose rather then depending on a maybe.

Simple Jaded
01-29-2015, 06:40 PM
True, but problem is that he's really an unproven commodity compared to Knighton, he'd be good for depth purposes. But they couldn't pencil him in as the starter from day one like Knighton. Not that I'd be against them signing him to compete, but it would be nice to have a proven nose rather then depending on a maybe.

Totally for depth purposes, Knighton needs to play in waves.

underrated29
01-29-2015, 07:03 PM
Let's assume, for simplicitys sake, that means we'll find a way to keep Potroast, and further assume that plus Wolfe/Jacksons ideal fit at 3-4 DE gives us a great starting line, a solid rotational NT in Austin to keep Potroast fresh and a solid rotational DE in Williams who could likely play NT in a pinch.

That just leaves LBs: Miller/Ware suit the 3-4s more critical OLB role as well as Wolfe/Jackson do DE, and Marshall has enough size*, speed and coverage to be a fine 3-4 ILB, plus he led the team in tackles. Trevathan's too light for 3-4 OLB, but not truly small, and is elite in coverage, so we could just leave him there unless/until running an all out blitz; as a 7th pass rusher/run stopper, he's more than good enough, and if Miller and Ware usually rush we can't leave Marshall as sole coverage LB. Now we're down to backup LBs, where I concede less certainty, but here are our current options:

Barrett, Shaquil (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/Shaquil-Barrett/20345da3-fa8e-46df-a686-961588421b82)
LB
6-1
R
Colorado State

Barrow, Lamin (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/Lamin-Barrow/23e64e6c-ad41-46ea-8269-a557b6e41331)
LB
6-1
R
LSU

Davis, Todd (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/Todd-Davis/745f7af4-e7b3-4d40-aa88-8734914ddb26)
LB
6-1
R
Sacramento State

Marshall, Brandon (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/Brandon-Marshall/50224e48-91ca-40e0-9c01-042327dce97c)
LB
6-1
Nevada

McCray, Lerentee (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/Lerentee-McCray/11c2b2ca-d88c-4d64-b52a-4068e031d394)
LB
6-3
Florida

Miller, Von (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/Von-Miller/036470c3-df00-47e4-a936-86200f2c88dc)
LB
6-3
Texas A&M

Nelson, Corey (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/Corey-Nelson/f456eb82-eff6-4311-bfd0-6d6663b37d04)
OLB
6-0
R
Oklahoma

Reserve/Injured http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster.html

Anunike, Kenny (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/Kenny-Anunike/5eb437e2-c6ea-424f-8c0f-e9863f8e8052)
DE
6-4
R
Duke

Irving, Nate (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/Nate-Irving/2f16290f-0271-403a-9ade-c1037b306a3b)
LB
6-1
North Carolina State

Smith, Quanterus (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/Quanterus-Smith/c585a580-2e9c-4889-a3d1-7ad2ded93349)
DE
6-5
Western Kentucky

Trevathan, Danny (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/Danny-Trevathan/473b9a9c-e340-4f65-ad4c-09a60be3dfbc)
LB
6-1
Kentucky

Youboty, John (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster/John-Youboty/caa9f131-2dfe-4382-a1b4-a8775f4ec34b)
DE
6-4
Temple

Irving is probably first choice at ILB if healthy, but most other choices just look too small to me: I still really like Steven Johnson, but if Trevathans 240 is pushing it even at ILB, Johnsons and Lamin Barrows* 237 would definitely be too light, while Todd Davis and Corey Nelson are lighter than Seahawks SAFETY Kam Chancellor (granted, he's a SS, big even for that, and plays like a LB, but the point stands.) It's worth noting three are rookies who might add weight without lost performance, but there's no guarantee.

Backups at the critical 3-4 OLB are just as murky to me, and even more pressing with Miller in a contract year and Ware on the wrong side of 30: 2015s backups could be 2016s starters. Anunike, Barrett, McCray and Smith and Youboty are the options now, and two are pass-rushing DEs rather than true LBs. Smith and McCray showed occasional flashes early this year, but I wouldn't want to rely on either if they had to honor the run and sometimes even cover, not just sprint for the QB.

So, thoughts from those who know? Beyond that (and assuming we keep ALL those players, doubtful given how many are too small for ANY 3-4 LB role) we must turn to the draft or FA for answers.

*While the team site lists Marshall at 238, and Pro Football Reference at 242, NFL.com, ESPN and Wikipedia all have him at 250, so I'm presuming he gained weight since reporting to his first Broncos camp; likewise, the team site has Barrow at a lean 229, but he's a rookie and NFL.com says he's 237, which I take as growing into his pro weight (and I haven't doublechecked our other LBs.)

I think Sly will be a perfect fit at nose for our new D. That said, from your list, it looks to me like we need at least 1 top tier Rush LB (to replace ware) and an ILB.

It is possible that Larentee Mccray can fulfill the role Demarcus Ware has. I have to admit, that guy does look good rushing the passer!

But we still only have 1 real good ILB- Irving.STeven Johnson could be that other guy perhaps. He has the size and he is alright but not my fav.

In the draft I have been looking at ILB and I like Paul Dawson quite a bit. Dude is small, but so is boreland from last year and he is a beast. Other ILB types that may work is Taiwan Jones (not the raiders rb/cb)...I just watched him play a bit. He isnt the best in coverage but looks awesome in run support. A late/mid round guy. Like Brandon spikes- who I believe is set to be a FA this year too.

I am sure we will find a way to get our best LBs on the field. For now I can only presume that we would roll with:

Ware,Irving,Trev,Von....and I am sure Wade will bring in a formation or two where Von and or Ware line up at DE and we bring in Steven Johnson or Mccray at the LB spot. I dont know.

Depth?
OLB- Ware/Mccray/anninuke
OLB- Von/yabouty-marshall-trev/Nelson
ILB- Irving/Marshall/Barrow/
ILB- Trev/Johnson/Davis/Barrett

I think Trev could put on the weight- if needed and play ILB (we were going to put him at MIKE last year I believe, after he came back)

After looking at that we need 1 surefire pass rusher and two ILBs (one with size preferrably- maybe the Holliman kid?)

tomjonesrocks
01-29-2015, 09:49 PM
Pot Roast has basically already said he's out.

Hard to include him.

TXBRONC
01-29-2015, 10:11 PM

Hard to include him.

I've heard he wants to stay.

Rick
01-29-2015, 10:14 PM
If he doesn't ask for the world I think we have a good shot to keep him. They may just roll with Sly though since spent a first.

NightTerror218
01-30-2015, 01:04 AM

Hard to include him.

He said he wants to stay

dogfish
01-30-2015, 02:03 AM

Hard to include him.

he absolutely has not. . .