PDA

View Full Version : Y a w n

OrangeHoof
01-25-2015, 04:37 PM
Offseason sucks.

And don't get me started on the Pro Bowl...

spikerman
01-25-2015, 04:40 PM
I'll actually watch the Pro Bowl because there's so little football left and basketball blows.

Northman
01-25-2015, 04:44 PM
I'll actually watch the Pro Bowl because there's so little football left and basketball blows.

I want to se players like CJ and Sanders have some fun. The Pro Bowl means nothing but i actually enjoyed it last year with the new setup. TJ Ward brought it last year and was clocking his own teammates which was awesome.

TXBRONC
01-25-2015, 04:44 PM
Offseason sucks.

And don't get me started on the Pro Bowl...

Please share your thoughts on the Pro Bowl Hoof.

pulse
01-25-2015, 06:22 PM
At least there are scouting reports for the NFL and recruiting for college football.

Joel
01-25-2015, 07:02 PM
I want to se players like CJ and Sanders have some fun. The Pro Bowl means nothing but i actually enjoyed it last year with the new setup. TJ Ward brought it last year and was clocking his own teammates which was awesome.
I intensely dislike the new format; I'm enough of an AFL guy to really like conference vs. conference, and teammate vs. teammate just feels wrong. But the biggest problem is having it before the SB so the players from the best teams are never there and the one who are wish they weren't. It's like if, a week before every presidential election, we had a mock election between everyone who DIDN'T get nominated.

Meanwhile, since pro football's the only sport I care about I agree with OrangeHoof: My sports season ends in a week, right after we watch two teams I've come to hate more than any others contest their Cheater Bowl. The only thing I have to be enthusiastic about is some of my favorite coaches returning to Denver, but I won't even get to enjoy watching that for another nine months.

OrangeHoof
01-25-2015, 07:15 PM
Please share your thoughts on the Pro Bowl Hoof.

It was bad enough when they played pat-a-cake defense to keep anyone from getting hurt but now with the new format, you can't possibly care who wins. At least AFC vs NFC had some rivalry going for it. Team Motormouth vs Team Pimp just doesn't do it for me.

Northman
01-25-2015, 07:20 PM
Good thing i have the NCAA and NHL to look forward too after the season. Sounds like you guys will be awfully depressed in a week or so. lmao

TXBRONC
01-25-2015, 07:35 PM
Good thing i have the NCAA and NHL to look forward too after the season. Sounds like you guys will be awfully depressed in a week or so. lmao

I'm not big on hockey or basketball but not depressed either.

chazoe60
01-25-2015, 07:37 PM
Can not wait until Baseball starts

spikerman
01-25-2015, 07:42 PM
Can not wait until Baseball starts

At least until the end of the 1st week of the season when the Rockies are hopelessly out of contention.

BroncoWave
01-25-2015, 08:12 PM
I don't see how football can be the only sport you like. Am I the only weirdo that likes pretty much every sport? I enjoy basketball, baseball, hockey, golf, tennis, soccer, whatever.

spikerman
01-25-2015, 08:13 PM
I do like baseball and playoff hockey. I used to like basketball, but pretty much hate it now.

spikerman
01-25-2015, 08:20 PM
I thought they solved the lack of contact problem last year. I guess not.

BroncoWave
01-25-2015, 08:22 PM
I do like baseball and playoff hockey. I used to like basketball, but pretty much hate it now.

Regular season basketball is hard to get into, but the NCAA tourney and NBA playoffs are still awesome IMO. I wish I could watch hockey more but unless you have a more premium TV package it's hard to get a lot of the games.

BroncoWave
01-25-2015, 08:28 PM
Does anyone else think they should just dump the actual Pro Bowl game and go back to doing those skills challenges they used to do? Those were way more fun to watch.

spikerman
01-25-2015, 08:31 PM
Does anyone else think they should just dump the actual Pro Bowl game and go back to doing those skills challenges they used to do? Those were way more fun to watch.

I used to like that they played the game, but watching the effort out there it's kind of pointless. These guys are just trying not to get hurt. Maybe it's time to just name the Pro-Bowl teams and leave it at that.

BroncoWave
01-25-2015, 08:38 PM
I LOVE that they are experimenting with the narrower goalposts and longer extra points. We've already seen the impact with Vinateri missing the XP there. I know a bunch of people disagree, but I would love to see the XP become more difficult. Any type of scoring play that is successful 99% of the time is too simple to be a part of a professional sport IMO.

Joel
01-25-2015, 08:52 PM
I don't see how football can be the only sport you like. Am I the only weirdo that likes pretty much every sport? I enjoy basketball, baseball, hockey, golf, tennis, soccer, whatever.
Just don't grab me; maybe it's because the Rockets and Astros sucked hard nearly every year when I was kid, despite one haing Hakeem the Dream the other the Ryan Express. Baseball's fun to play, but watching (especially MLB) is like watching a glacier advance; basketball's OK to watch, but the constant sprinting turned off an asthmatic kid in a hurry. I won't knock other sports if others enjoy them, but for me the sporting season starts in August and ends in February, with nothing but a great big no mans land filling the sizable gap.

Joel
01-25-2015, 08:55 PM
I LOVE that they are experimenting with the narrower goalposts and longer extra points. We've already seen the impact with Vinateri missing the XP there. I know a bunch of people disagree, but I would love to see the XP become more difficult. Any type of scoring play that is successful 99% of the time is too simple to be a part of a professional sport IMO.
I REALLY hate the narrower goal posts, and not just because it means they either narrow the hashmarks or leave them wider than the goal posts (though both are good reasons.) The simple logical thing would be to just make every TD worth 7 pts but give teams an option of a double-or-nothing play from the 2; then we don't have to worry about a fluke wild snap or fumbled hold losing the SB by one point, but still have the excitement and opportunity for something extra after a TD.

The way it is now, missed PATs are so rare they aren't so much "extras" or "bonuses" following a great accomplishment as misses PENALIZE that great accomlishment when a team has bad luck.

OrangeHoof
01-26-2015, 01:04 AM
The NFL is trying to reduce injuries from kick plays, Simple.

Make the TD seven points but the team has the option to risk one point by going for two. Same two-point rules apply.

Now that every td is reviewed (time out for commercials), the PAT can be eliminated and everyone but the PK still gets the same general experience.

Davii
01-26-2015, 01:28 AM
Football is the only sport I watch religously. I check up on others, that's about it.

Joel
01-26-2015, 03:11 AM
The NFL is trying to reduce injuries from kick plays, Simple.

Make the TD seven points but the team has the option to risk one point by going for two. Same two-point rules apply.

Now that every td is reviewed (time out for commercials), the PAT can be eliminated and everyone but the PK still gets the same general experience.
Could've sworn I just said that. :tongue: That makes agreeing with it obligatory (except on reducing kicks to reduce injuries, since I think most of those are on returns, and since a blocked PAT can't be advanced in the NFL, returns are impossible.) Good point on using the scoring review to show commercials, though most fans will probably want to see reviews. But we can't abolish the PAT entirely unless we give the networks another excuse to sell us overpriced stuff we don't need after the TD and before the NEXT commercial break on the kickoff. They'd cancel their contracts, and the NFL might have to make money of GAMES.

pulse
01-26-2015, 03:25 AM
Just move the PAT back to the 25 yard line and be done with it. Clearly NFL kickers are more accurate and the technology is better. A 38 yarder is far more difficult than an 18 yard FG attempt. There are bound to be far more missed attempts. When the weather is nasty, I'm sure coaches will go for two a lot more. I just don't like removing the kick entirely. That degrades special teams units to me. Plus, the choice of PAT kick versus two-point conversion still adds a lot of strategy and makes special teams players an important part of those decisions, one way or another.

Joel
01-26-2015, 04:34 AM
*shrugs* move it back to the 40 and then the PAT's the "extra" point it was created to be back when teams missed often enough trading TDs but losing 7-6 was common. Just arbitrarily moving it to wherever it's "challenging" or "tricky" is VERY forced though, not least because everyone has a different definition of "challenging" (or whatever adjective one prefers.) Even if we look at every regular season play and move it the yard line where a specific percentage of FGs were made, who chooses WHICH percentage, and how?

The PAT degrades STs NOW, because they're good literally 99.5% of time, so automatic and superfluous. You're not watching: You're in the fridge or bathroom. The rest of the teams aren't watching either: They're sipping gatorade, chatting or dissecting overheads of what went wrong (or right) on the TD. The ONLY time ANYONE notices a PAT is the 0.5% of times "that bone-headed holder bobbled the snap" or "that idiot kicker shanked it." They're ignored except when yelled at for screwing up something so simple any moron can do it: THAT'S not degrading?!

The bread and butter of STs is KOs and punts, and still would be, but the option of a double-or-nothing on a 2 pt play from the 2 or a literally automatic 7 would retain all the strategy and excitement.

L23 Bronco
01-26-2015, 09:55 AM
If they want to make the PAT harder they have to make the 2 point conversion harder, otherwise teams will just keep going for 2 as the chances are just as likely to be converted as the PAT.

BroncoJoe
01-26-2015, 09:57 AM
Don't know about the rest of you, but I don't mind the ProBowl. I understand what it is, and I like seeing how the game moves from flag football to something similar to an actual game. It was fun seeing our guys out there as well - Sanders had a nice game - but I'd rather they not be involved because they're getting ready for the Superbowl!

TXBRONC
01-26-2015, 10:07 AM
If they want to make the PAT harder they have to make the 2 point conversion harder, otherwise teams will just keep going for 2 as the chances are just as likely to be converted as the PAT.

Why would they need to make the 2 point conversion any harder than it already? If it was easy teams would be doing it more often.

I almost forgot, welcome to Broncos Forums. :beer:

Northman
01-26-2015, 10:31 AM

Actually i was bored with those.

OB
01-26-2015, 11:46 AM
I did like the version of how they picked the teams (I guess they started this last year) - Its neat to see AFC and NFC on the same team

That being said - I wish they would go back to playing the Pro Bowl after the superbowl - its dumb to have people make it to the pro bowl and cant go because they have the SB to prepare for

And definitely bring back the skills challenges - by far the best part of the PB

L23 Bronco
01-27-2015, 05:28 AM
Why would they need to make the 2 point conversion any harder than it already? If it was easy teams would be doing it more often.

I almost forgot, welcome to Broncos Forums. :beer:

Thanks. :beer:

In my opinion they need to make it harder if they make PAT's harder, if people start missing a couple of PAT's then everyone is going to start going for 2. Whats the percentage of attempted/completed 2 point conversions? 50%? If they made PATs harder making it around 70-80% conversion rate then more are going to go for 2.

spikerman
01-27-2015, 06:23 AM
I think going for two is what the NFL would like. It's a more exciting play than kicking the extra point.

TXBRONC
01-27-2015, 08:46 AM
Thanks. :beer:

In my opinion they need to make it harder if they make PAT's harder, if people start missing a couple of PAT's then everyone is going to start going for 2. Whats the percentage of attempted/completed 2 point conversions? 50%? If they made PATs harder making it around 70-80% conversion rate then more are going to go for 2.

I don't know what the League average is but my guess would be it's in the 40 percentile at best.

BroncoWave
01-27-2015, 09:04 AM
I think going for two is what the NFL would like. It's a more exciting play than kicking the extra point.

I was lambasted on here when this discussion came up last offseason for daring to want the XP to be an exciting play. Was told what a short attention span I have for needing every single play to be exciting. I wasn't aware before that discussion that wanting more exciting action in an NFL game was such a controversial topic.

TXBRONC
01-27-2015, 09:16 AM
I was lambasted on here when this discussion came up last offseason for daring to want the XP to be an exciting play. Was told what a short attention span I have for needing every single play to be exciting. I wasn't aware before that discussion that wanting more exciting action in an NFL game was such a controversial topic.

Maybe you were lambasted for your presentation not the content, but honestly I don't remember you being lambasted for it.

BroncoWave
01-27-2015, 09:45 AM
Found the thread. This is the post I made talking about wanting the XP play to be more exciting:

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/576358-NFL-considering-proposal-to-abolish-extra-points?highlight=extra+point+play+exciting

I'm not necessarily saying eliminate the XP, but do SOMETHING to make it a play that is exciting and worth watching. Shouldn't every play in a football game be exciting to watch?

And these were the replies I was met with:

really, we need more excitement-- i know i can't pay attention for more than six seconds if every last detail isn't rivetting. . .

how about if they light the ball on fire when they kick the PATs? maybe have some lazers and shit?

I was thinking 3 wolves roaming the field and a herd of elk in each endzone. Maybe we could attach the lazers to the wolves?

is football not entertaining enough as it is? how many millions of people watch it?

it's FINE, leave it the F alone unless there's some compelling reason for change. . . it's you dopes and your constant need for ever-increasing stimulation that makes the league constantly look for ways to increase offense and decrease defense, and i think it's making the game LESS exciting. . . pretty soon it will be just like basketball-- only the last five minutes matter, and whoever gets the ball last wins most of the time. . . some of us actually like defensive struggles and low-scoring games. . . they're more dramatic. . .

want more excitement for the average fan? send the damn cheerleaders out naked. . . leave the rules of the game alone. . .

running plays are boring-- they should make them illegal. . .

That thread basically devolved into strawmen and ridiculous, over the top hyperbole about having to have every play be exciting. I didn't realize it was such a controversial stance.

Yes I was being kind of a ***** in that thread, but I think my points were more valid than the hyperbolic responses they got.

TXBRONC
01-27-2015, 10:12 AM
Found the thread. This is the post I made talking about wanting the XP play to be more exciting:

http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/576358-NFL-considering-proposal-to-abolish-extra-points?highlight=extra+point+play+exciting

And these were the replies I was met with:

That thread basically devolved into strawmen and ridiculous, over the top hyperbole about having to have every play be exciting. I didn't realize it was such a controversial stance.

Yes I was being kind of a ***** in that thread, but I think my points were more valid than the hyperbolic responses they got.

When people get poked eye they may not react well to points no matter how valid they maybe.

You got admit having a heard of elk in each endzone and three wolves armed with laser cannons would be pretty exciting. :lol:

Joel
01-27-2015, 10:45 AM

I had your back, bro (maybe that was the problem :tongue:)
C'mon, ya'll, all these hyperbolic comparisons implying this would be some radical unprecedented change for the sake of change are way over the top. The pro PAT debate's older than most people debating it now; it's the reason the pros finally added the 2 PAT
The crack on banning boring runs was ironic; the NFL moves closer to that almost annually. Rather than retype my long initial response, I'll link that: http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/576358-NFL-considering-proposal-to-abolish-extra-points?p=2121327#post2121327

Further, not only did a rain-soaked PAT bobble keep Cincy out of the '06 playoffs and nearly send us, Washingtons missed PAT vs. us in '86 clinched the #1 seed for us and NY, a pivotal fluke, since we went to the SB against NY, who got there by hosting and beating wildcard Washington in the NFCCG. A fluke PAT only missed 6 times in >1200 should NEVER decide who goes to the SB, much less BOTH TEAMS.