PDA

View Full Version : Sources: Julius Thomas On His Way Out

Pages : [1] 2

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2015, 06:31 PM
While at the Senior Bowl, Mile High Huddle heard that tight end Julius Thomas has priced himself out of the Denver Broncos free agent plans and that they have resigned themselves to that fact. They now are focused on finding his potential replacement.

It is rather unsurprising that Thomas has priced himself out of the Broncos plans. With 24 touchdowns over the last two seasons, it makes a lot of sense that he would warrant a high price. However, Thomas’ game is one-dimensional, due to his inability to block. With the team's coaching change, and the subsequent arrival of Gary Kubiak, Thomas’ blocking deficiencies become even more glaring.

In Kubiak's offense, the tight ends have to be proficient blockers, as well as capable receivers. Owen Daniels and Joel Dreessen are perfect examples.

rest - http://den.scout.com/story/1505569-sources-julius-thomas-on-his-way-out

Guess we will find out if this person really knows what he is talking about

pulse
01-24-2015, 06:32 PM
Oh well, adiós amigo. Time to focus on DT.

Northman
01-24-2015, 06:36 PM
See ya JT.

Valar Morghulis
01-24-2015, 06:48 PM
Dude makes some great plays - but i will not lose any sleep over him leaving.

GEM
01-24-2015, 06:49 PM
Over paying a soft te...nah. Thanks, Julius...have fun on a Raiders type team.

Joel
01-24-2015, 06:53 PM
It'd almost be surprising if this DIDN'T happen after his agent's been running around saying they want top RECEIVER money for what the article rightly calls a one-dimensional TE who lacks the skills mandatory in any Kubiak offense (which ought to end comparisons to Shannon Sharpe right there, even if Sharpe saying JT "can't block the sun out of his eyes" didn't.) Julius Thomas:

1) Has only been healthy enough to play 1½ of 4 seasons,
2) Can't block to save his life, his QBs nor his RBs,
3) Still runs shocking ragged routes considering he worked intensively on it last offseason, and most of these problems are because he
4) Only played ONE SEASON of football before he was drafted.

Enjoy your post-Manning career, Formerly Orange Julius; better hope your big payday's just that, because I doubt there'll be many more.

tomjonesrocks
01-24-2015, 06:55 PM
Well that sucks. Denver was very patient with him to only get that little time out of him.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2015, 06:57 PM
If this happens, I would assume Fox/Gase will try to sign him.

OrangeHoof
01-24-2015, 07:06 PM
Salient point. If he can't stay healthy and can't block, he's not going to find as many suitors as he thinks.

Davii
01-24-2015, 07:16 PM
They can tag him at a TE #, but I think he'll be gone. Just ss well honestly, we need a big bodied blocker that can run and catch not a WR that lines up inside.

Joel
01-24-2015, 07:35 PM
They can tag him at a TE #, but I think he'll be gone. Just ss well honestly, we need a big bodied blocker that can run and catch not a WR that lines up inside.
If we wanted that last, we could move DT inside and put Orange Julius outside with better success, because DEMARYIUS Thomas plays BOTH positions better than JULIUS. Better routes, better blocker: Just BETTER. Virgil Green had a few nice catches even before the ones to set up and then score his TD from Oz, and he's a monster blocker. In other words, a TE; Orange Julius may be doing us a favor.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-24-2015, 07:49 PM
I've been saying this for the last 2 months.

UnderArmour
01-24-2015, 07:59 PM
Elway will not overpay for the sake of keeping the offense together. We will not be throwing the football as often under Kubiak so we do not need a player like Julius Thomas that is a one-dimensional TE. The smart GMs like Ozzie and Elway will let players walk to get the compensatory picks that boost a draft class. Someone will pay Julius, and the Broncos can possibly haul a 3rd or 4th round draft pick out of it assuming we don't sign anyone else's big ticket free agent.

underrated29
01-24-2015, 08:02 PM
I think he thinks he's worth more than he is. Like decker. I could see him not finding the big bucks and coming back, but I can also see some team like the jets or Falcons giving him the cash.

silkamilkamonico
01-24-2015, 08:31 PM
Too bad - guy probably would have scored 15+ TD's every year in Kubiak's system. The only system better for him than Manning is Kubiak's. But I definitely wouldn't pay that much for him.

silkamilkamonico
01-24-2015, 08:31 PM
I think he thinks he's worth more than he is. Like decker. I could see him not finding the big bucks and coming back, but I can also see some team like the jets or Falcons giving him the cash.

Someone will give him the cash, hopefully it won't be Denver.

DenBronx
01-24-2015, 08:33 PM
Yeah this sucks. We better keep Pot Roast then.

DenBronx
01-24-2015, 08:35 PM
He will be a Patriot.

Joel
01-24-2015, 08:38 PM
Too bad - guy probably would have scored 15+ TD's every year in Kubiak's system. The only system better for him than Manning is Kubiak's. But I definitely wouldn't pay that much for him.
Even Kubiaks WRs must block MUCH better than Julius Thomas; I don't see the fit. Just as alternating between a RB who can't block nor catch and a RB who can't break tackles nor move piles, Julius Thomas' mere PRESENCE tells the D whether it's a run or pass. I'm unconvinced he truly fits anywhere but a pickup game; maybe if he stays healthy and learns to block, but not now.

Joel
01-24-2015, 08:39 PM
He will be a Patriot.
Yeah, I can't see Belicheat paying $9-10 million/yr for a guy who only does half his job half a season. Not exactly the Patriot Way.

Davii
01-24-2015, 09:14 PM
Yeah, I can't see Belicheat paying $9-10 million/yr for a guy who only does half his job half a season. Not exactly the Patriot Way.

They don't overinflate salaries.

Joel
01-24-2015, 09:42 PM
They don't overinflate salaries.
Maybe he'll take a pro-rated deal? "Lessee, we're contracted to pay you $10 million/yr, but you only do half your job, and missed 10 games injured, so... call it an even $2 mil." Typically, when a guy blows off half his duties, calls in sick every other day, then demands a huge raise, his boss fires him. But maybe Elway's different...?

WARHORSE
01-24-2015, 09:46 PM
Hes a Jeff George kind of a player. Sorry. All world talent. Heart as tough as a cotton ball.

Not.
Worth.
Big.
Money.

SoCalImport
01-24-2015, 09:50 PM
JT was not even trying to improve his blocking, IMHO. His "blocks" reminded me of Randy Moss giving up on his routes when the ball wasn't coming his way.
Not an effort guy.
See ya later

Ravage!!!
01-24-2015, 10:04 PM

Like Decker? DIdn't Decker sign for a lot of money in NY?

Teams will pay big bucks for a TE with his skill set, there is no guessing on that. Seems Denver fans thought that Brandon Marshall wouldn't get top WR money, and that our LT wouldn't get top money....

Joel
01-24-2015, 10:33 PM

Teams will pay big bucks for a TE with his skill set, there is no guessing on that. Seems Denver fans thought that Brandon Marshall wouldn't get top WR money, and that our LT wouldn't get top money....
Maybe; Marshall and Decker certainly got their money. On the other hand, one's in Chicago and the other with the Jets, while we just drafted DT, signed Emmanuel Sanders, and moved on without missing a beat. With a lot more cap money for other players than if we'd paid Marshall and Decker what they wanted.

Ravage!!!
01-24-2015, 10:36 PM
Maybe; Marshall and Decker certainly got their money. On the other hand, one's in Chicago and the other with the Jets, while we just drafted DT, signed Emmanuel Sanders, and moved on without missing a beat. With a lot more cap money for other players than if we'd paid Marshall and Decker what they wanted.

I wasn't talking about that... although I will say very quickly that keep losing talent, and that will very quickly catch up to you.... ESPECIALLY when you have a young QB behind center. Decker wasn't the deep threat that Sanders is, but was obviously a MUCH more threat inside the red zone, and Marshall (imo) has proved to be a better WR than DT without question. It's hard to see the 'difference' that has been made with the different players because we have had Manning behind center. A guy like Manning, Brady, Rodgers..etc.... makes anyone better. Does that really work out when the QB talent isn't that kind of presence? I don't think so.

I'm not making a case that we SHOULD pay him top money, but I'm making the case that he WILL get top money.

underrated29
01-24-2015, 10:48 PM

Yeah decker did. Which is why I said like decker :confused:

Ravage!!!
01-24-2015, 10:54 PM
Yeah decker did. Which is why I said like decker :confused:

I guess I was confused with your statement. Were you saying that Decker felt he was worth more than he was, or that he would get paid and not come back? I ask, because he coudln't feel he was worth more than he was if he GOT the money...which is why I asked "like Decker?" But if you meant the part of your next sentence that stated something like "get their money and not come back."..... then, I just misunderstood.

underrated29
01-24-2015, 11:09 PM
I guess I was confused with your statement. Were you saying that Decker felt he was worth more than he was, or that he would get paid and not come back? I ask, because he coudln't feel he was worth more than he was if he GOT the money...which is why I asked "like Decker?" But if you meant the part of your next sentence that stated something like "get their money and not come back."..... then, I just misunderstood.

To us.
Decker thought he was worth more then he was, to us. he did get the big pay day. I think JT is the same. To us we think he is worth 5mil for ex, but he thinks he is worth more and some team like the jets or Falcons may pay premium. Or overpay if you will.

Lancane
01-24-2015, 11:09 PM
Pretty much figured he was done once Kubiak was named the Head Coach, his blocking deficiencies are a poor fit for the West Coast Offense and with the price demand he has asked for he is a better fit for the AFC East (where most diva tight ends and wide receivers end up).

MOtorboat
01-25-2015, 01:55 AM
Oh look, it's another shit on Julius Thomas thread.

Thanks Julius for being one of the league leaders in touchdowns the last two seasons. Good luck somewhere else. Hopefully those fans appreciate touchdowns more.

GEM
01-25-2015, 01:59 AM
Hopefully he learns how to block. Then he will have earned top TE money.

He's good at scoring, unfortunately that isn't and wasn't all that was necessary of him.

Davii
01-25-2015, 02:03 AM
Hopefully he learns how to block. Then he will have earned top TE money.

He's good at scoring, unfortunately that isn't and wasn't all that was necessary of him.

If he's improved his blocking then please pay the man.

CrazyHorse
01-25-2015, 02:30 AM
Slap him with the franchise tag. I bet his production drops then we can sign him for cheap.

sneakers
01-25-2015, 03:30 AM
it was just a matter of time before he suffered a season ending pregnancy or some other ***** injury

Simple Jaded
01-25-2015, 03:36 AM
Thanks for scoring all those TDs, Baby Shit, and for preventing more TDs with every block you couldn't be bothered to make.

Ideally the Broncos could sign DT ahead of the start of FA, surely some team would give a nice draft pick for JT's one dimension if Denver could franchise him.

Valar Morghulis
01-25-2015, 04:04 AM

Thanks Julius for being one of the league leaders in touchdowns the last two seasons. Good luck somewhere else. Hopefully those fans appreciate touchdowns more.

I normally agree with everything you write. But not this.

If OJ was paid to stay for a reasonable salary - great.

No one does not appreciate his touchdowns. But, the dude had been injured for 2 and a half of his four years. He is a liability at blocking and shows limited heart when going for contested catches.

All that means is that he should not be mentioned on the same class as Gronk/graham/gonzalez/gates/davis - and therefore should not be paid as an elite TE.

someone will pay him, and good luck to him. I just hope we don't break the bank to keep someone whose upside is heavily countered by his deficiencies and questions around his health.

MOtorboat
01-25-2015, 04:12 AM

No one does not appreciate his touchdowns. But, the dude had been injured for 2 and a half of his for years. He is a liability at blocking and shows limited heart when going for contested catches.

All that means is that he should not be mentioned on the same class as Gronk/graham/gonzalez/gates/davis - and therefore should not be paid as an elite TE.

someone will pay him, and good luck to him. I just hope we don't break the bank to keep someone whose upside is heavily countered by his deficiencies and questions around his health.

This really isn't directed directly at you, Dave, so I hope you don't take it that way...

This newfound obsession that Broncos fans have with a pass catching tight end's blocking, especially a very good one, is misguided.

The injury concern is valid, and I fully concede that point.

Valar Morghulis
01-25-2015, 04:24 AM
This really isn't directed directly at you, Dave, so I hope you don't take it that way...

This newfound obsession that Broncos fans have with a pass catching tight end's blocking, especially a very good one, is misguided.

The injury concern is valid, and I fully concede that point.

Cool. Would you pay big to keep him mate?

Simple Jaded
01-25-2015, 04:27 AM
MO it isn't just that he can't block it's also that he has no interest in blocking, it's his job but he doesn't wanna break a nail.

Btw, there is no legitimate reason that he can't block, it's not like he's 6-2/230.

MOtorboat
01-25-2015, 04:29 AM
Cool. Would you pay big to keep him mate?

Demaryius Thomas is my No. 1 resigning. If the cap allows for him to be resigned and Julius Thomas to be resigned at $5-$7 million (Gronkowski makes $9 and Graham makes $10), then I say yes. But only if Demaryius Thomas is priority No. 1.

MOtorboat
01-25-2015, 04:30 AM
MO it isn't just that he can't block it's also that he has no interest in blocking, it's his job but he doesn't wanna break a nail.

Btw, there is no legitimate reason that he can't block, it's not like he's 6-2/230.

Still don't care.

MOtorboat
01-25-2015, 04:35 AM
Because, seriously, anyone else notice that he suddenly became a blocking problem when Denver ****** up the tackle position by moving Franklin to guard?

If the tight end is the key to success on your running plays, your offensive line sucks. Denver keeps Franklin at right tackle last season and no one is complaining about Thomas' blocking.

Simple Jaded
01-25-2015, 04:37 AM
I think he's still the Broncos #2 priority and I wouldn't hate it if they could get him done for $5-6 MM, but Denver has apparently been notified of JT's intention of being one of the Top, if not the Top, paid TE's in the league. He's looking to break the bank and he played like he was trying to make it to free agency wihtout getting hurt.

Simple Jaded
01-25-2015, 04:38 AM
Still don't care.

Then if he's nothing more than a receiver he's not even worth $5-7 MM.

MOtorboat
01-25-2015, 04:43 AM
Then if he's nothing more than a receiver he's not even worth $5-7 MM.

Decker got $7.25, average per year (includes signing bonus).

I don't see why Thomas and his agent couldn't negotiate a similar, although slightly less deal. Probably closer to $5 with the injury history.

Hawgdriver
01-25-2015, 04:59 AM
JT paired with a tight-window QB like Brady or Manning or Rodgers etc. is an unstoppable touchdown machine. But I can't help but correlate the suck at running the ball with him. He's more like a top 15 WR than a TE, but he comes with personnel grouping issues. Not worth full price, but it won't surprise me if there is talk down the road that it was a mistake letting him go. It can be hard scoring 7's, but he made it look easy. But most of all, you have to question his injury history. I can understand the desire to stay healthy to land his first big contract, but you have to be gunshy with a guy with such a long medical chart.

GEM
01-25-2015, 05:31 AM

I don't see why Thomas and his agent couldn't negotiate a similar, although slightly less deal. Probably closer to $5 with the injury history.

He wants top money. His agent already priced him out of the Broncos range. Not quite sure why this is the Broncos fault or the fans for saying good riddance and naming the reasons he hasn't EARNED top money.

Valar Morghulis
01-25-2015, 05:39 AM
Demaryius Thomas is my No. 1 resigning. If the cap allows for him to be resigned and Julius Thomas to be resigned at $5-$7 million (Gronkowski makes $9 and Graham makes $10), then I say yes. But only if Demaryius Thomas is priority No. 1.

4 years - five million a year. 10 guaranteed. I could live with that. Anything above that and i think we are overpaying for his redzone threat.

On the subject of DT - his drops really concerned me last year - maybe because i hold him to a higher standard, or maybe because i watch more broncos games than anyone else, but he seemed to drop it - a lot.

Has anyone seen any statistics on his target/drop/catch ration compared to other WRs?

VonDoom
01-25-2015, 09:49 AM
I'm probably in the minority at this point, but I'd like to see JT stay if the price is right. He CAN be replaced and we could use that money elsewhere, but when healthy, he is a red zone nightmare. I'm preparing to move on without him, so this article doesn't come as much of a surprise. DT is priority one, and I'd say Knighton is two at this point, but that kind of depends on our DC.

Lancane
01-25-2015, 10:19 AM

I am not going to **** on him Mo, actually I've made the argument that he should be kept above and beyond Demaryius Thomas. However, that was before the new Head Coach was named. He really doesn't fit the WCO but in a Pistol, Spread or Air Coryell he'd be in an offense that could utilize him more then Kubiak is likely to, even keeping part of the offense we have now.

Lancane
01-25-2015, 10:24 AM
4 years - five million a year. 10 guaranteed. I could live with that. Anything above that and i think we are overpaying for his redzone threat.

On the subject of DT - his drops really concerned me last year - maybe because i hold him to a higher standard, or maybe because i watch more broncos games than anyone else, but he seemed to drop it - a lot.

Has anyone seen any statistics on his target/drop/catch ration compared to other WRs?

Thank you... he had a league high 80 missed attempts, not just drops but he was targeted an additional 80 times that he either dropped the ball or missed the catch completely - could be partly Manning. But the average is about 40 missed attempts per season, which J. Thomas and E. Sanders both were around I believe or below, but yeah...it's a concern, especially if he gets Top 5 Money which could be anywhere from 11 million a season to 16 million a season.

Lancane
01-25-2015, 10:25 AM
I'm probably in the minority at this point, but I'd like to see JT stay if the price is right. He CAN be replaced and we could use that money elsewhere, but when healthy, he is a red zone nightmare. I'm preparing to move on without him, so this article doesn't come as much of a surprise. DT is priority one, and I'd say Knighton is two at this point, but that kind of depends on our DC.

I'd say Knighton should be priority one.

MOtorboat
01-25-2015, 10:38 AM
He wants top money. His agent already priced him out of the Broncos range. Not quite sure why this is the Broncos fault or the fans for saying good riddance and naming the reasons he hasn't EARNED top money.

There's nothing wrong with testing free agency if you have the chance. I doubt teams care much about his blocking.

GEM
01-25-2015, 11:23 AM
There's nothing wrong with testing free agency if you have the chance. I doubt teams care much about his blocking.

Absolutely nothing wrong with testing free agency. Also nothing wrong with pointing out why he hasn't earned top money with the Broncos. Some team absolutely will over pay him for his services. With our list of free agents essential to the future of our team, we can't be that team to over pay him.

Love his red zone abilities, hate that he is soft.

Northman
01-25-2015, 12:12 PM

Lmao, jesus dude.

Northman
01-25-2015, 12:15 PM

No one does not appreciate his touchdowns. But, the dude had been injured for 2 and a half of his four years. He is a liability at blocking and shows limited heart when going for contested catches.

All this and then some. Its great he contributed what he did but his injuries and lack of progression in the blocking area leaves a lot to be desired. He wants more money, i get it, all players do but he isnt worth what he is asking. Thats not shitting on a player, thats just looking at the product and knowing he isnt worth that price. At least to this team.

TXBRONC
01-25-2015, 02:33 PM
Because, seriously, anyone else notice that he suddenly became a blocking problem when Denver ****** up the tackle position by moving Franklin to guard?

If the tight end is the key to success on your running plays, your offensive line sucks. Denver keeps Franklin at right tackle last season and no one is complaining about Thomas' blocking.

Moving Franklin wasn't the problem putting Chris Clark at right tackle was.

Ravage!!!
01-25-2015, 03:01 PM
JT paired with a tight-window QB like Brady or Manning or Rodgers etc. is an unstoppable touchdown machine.

I don't know why he would need a 'tight window' QB to be effective in the passing game? It's not like the guy can't get open and create separation from defenders. He would be an asset to ANY QB that is throwing the ball....and TE's are usual the YOUNG QBs best friend in those 3rd down situations. Considering we will be moving towards a young QB here in the very soon future, I feel this team NEEDs a guy like JT on the team. That security blanket.

jlarsiii
01-25-2015, 03:58 PM
I hope we don't live to regret it if he does move on.

Say what you want about his durability or blocking skills, but you can't deny the guy produced for us in the redzone when healthy. There aren't many of those types of TEs in the league which means that even with the injury risk someone will pay the man for his services...

Hawgdriver
01-25-2015, 04:00 PM
I don't know why he would need a 'tight window' QB to be effective in the passing game? It's not like the guy can't get open and create separation from defenders. He would be an asset to ANY QB that is throwing the ball....and TE's are usual the YOUNG QBs best friend in those 3rd down situations. Considering we will be moving towards a young QB here in the very soon future, I feel this team NEEDs a guy like JT on the team. That security blanket.

Doesn't need, but is literally unstoppable with one.

tomjonesrocks
01-25-2015, 04:01 PM
I don't understand the hatred / lack of appreciation for the guy.

He's injury prone and only played 2 seasons. He has the talent to be the best TE in the NFL later in his career and it's like "Lates, loser!"

He's a bit of an immature player. He may very well shake that of down the line.

Personally I'm not stoked on the news.

Hawgdriver
01-25-2015, 04:09 PM

He's injury prone and only played 2 seasons. He has the talent to be the best TE in the NFL later in his career and it's like "Lates, loser!"

He's a bit of an immature player. He may very well shake that of down the line.

Personally I'm not stoked on the news.

You know. I'm starting to rethink my knee-jerk reaction to this news. That reaction was "lates, loser!." I start to think back about his leadership and demeanor. His ability to score at will.

It's a closer issue than I'd like to admit, and I guess I'm fine with either outcome, but from a front office perspective, I'd be careful to shore up the nuts and bolts of my team before dropping a megaquid on a player like JT.

Ravage!!!
01-25-2015, 04:11 PM
I peronally LOVE having a TE that can score from anywhere on the field, and causes tremendous mismatches for the other team. I think the word "soft" is thrown out there far tooooo often and is more of a "catch word" that people repeat more than anything else. I hate seeing top talent leave my favorite team.

Northman
01-25-2015, 04:11 PM

No hate, just being realistic with where he is at as a player.

He's injury prone and only played 2 seasons.

Yes, he is. That is a major concern especially since he was a project to begin with.

He's a bit of an immature player.

Dont know if he is immature, doesnt sound like he has a very good work ethic from what i can tell.

While the talent is there he's still a high risk considering the price tag that he wants. People were giving me all kinds of shit last year when Decker was being allowed to move on and we did just fine finding a replacement. There are plenty of TE's in the NFL on a great many teams that contribute in the passing and running game that dont require breaking the bank for. I suppose if JT had a more rounded game he might be worth keeping and taking that risk with. But right now, he's one dimensional and i do think with Kubes coming in that running will be a bigger priority which means you do need a TE who can block when required to.

WJK
01-25-2015, 04:32 PM
For all of his flaws in relation to run blocking and lack of effort, the guy was a matchup nightmare at tight end that we haven't seen since Shannon Sharpe. I doubt he'll ever be a transcendent tight end like Tony Gonzalez but we'll certainly struggle to replace his production, especially in the red zone.

MileHighCrew
01-25-2015, 05:12 PM
I'm torn on this. This is where I hate free agency. The Broncos took a chance and drafted this guy, went though all the injury ups and downs because they saw something there. He had one of the GOAT to work with and teach him to be a pro and now will probably be gone.
Not saying he does have the talent, but in this case more than a lot of other cases would I say the team is responsible for his success.

dogfish
01-25-2015, 05:36 PM
easy to see this one coming, just like it was with decker. . .

Joel
01-25-2015, 07:19 PM
I wasn't talking about that... although I will say very quickly that keep losing talent, and that will very quickly catch up to you.... ESPECIALLY when you have a young QB behind center. Decker wasn't the deep threat that Sanders is, but was obviously a MUCH more threat inside the red zone, and Marshall (imo) has proved to be a better WR than DT without question. It's hard to see the 'difference' that has been made with the different players because we have had Manning behind center. A guy like Manning, Brady, Rodgers..etc.... makes anyone better. Does that really work out when the QB talent isn't that kind of presence? I don't think so.

I'm not making a case that we SHOULD pay him top money, but I'm making the case that he WILL get top money.
The problem is we WILL lose talent, whatever we do: It's just a question of whether we prefer losing JT or someone like DT or Potroast. Since they bring far more to the table, I'd rather have them. As much as I've always liked Marshall, I don't think he's much (if any) better than DT, and even the treated and toned down version of Baby TO's still far more disruptive than DT's ever been. Regarding how much of his production is Manning, he did pretty well as young WR with a young QB before we got Manning, and it's a safe bet he's far better now than four years ago.

Comes down to whether a 100-200% raise is worth leaving a team like the Broncos for one like the Jets, because good teams don't have the cap space to blow $10 million on a one-trick Bronco. Sports being sports, Thomas' agent may not answer that question the way ANYONE else would: He doesn't get a percentage of SB Rings.

Slick
01-25-2015, 07:43 PM
I think the Broncos feel like most of us do. He's a good player but he'll get more from another team than what Denver's willing to pay. Can't blame him one bit. Get your money while you can.

Denver might do the same thing they did with Decker. Let him walk without even making an offer.

I'm not going to dog him out but I thought he played very tentative, dare I say soft, against Cincy when Denver was still fighting for homefield and that was upsetting for me as a fan.

He had some damn good games too. Wish him well and move on.

Joel
01-25-2015, 07:51 PM

No, he didn't "suddenly" become a blocking problem when Franklin moved; he was such a problem in 2013 that he was shoved back into Manning @Indy on a pass that wobbled out and right to the D. It was much the same hosting a 'Skins team that finished 3-13 but led us 21-7 at the start of the 4th qtr before we finally said, "SCREW this!" and put in Dreessen, who promptly made blocks AND caught a pair of 4th down conversions (one in the end zone.)

However much he wanted to be during his one year of college ball, Julius Thomas is NOT a WR—WRs run cleaner routes. At least on paper, he's a TE, and better start playing like it if he wants elite money. Look at the TRUE TEs Dave named: Gronk, Gonzalez, Gates, Graham, Davis; FIVE "receiving TEs" and EACH at least a decent blocker. Witten and Owen Daniels are better TEs, and Daniels is a FA and Kubiak veteran. Franchising JT would almost be an insult to the leagues top five TEs. Ex-basektball players who can post up and box out but NOT take a hard foul just aren't as rare nor novel as a decade ago.

No reason except they've made it abundantly clear they want TWICE that or he'll walk.

I hope we don't live to regret it if he does move on.

Say what you want about his durability or blocking skills, but you can't deny the guy produced for us in the redzone when healthy. There aren't many of those types of TEs in the league which means that even with the injury risk someone will pay the man for his services...
Actually, yeah, there are, which may be the biggest problem with JTs agent demanding a kings ransom for him: Again, franchising him suggest he's as good as the top 5 NFL TEs, but he's not.

GEM
01-25-2015, 07:58 PM
And where does saying what he lacks in skills also says that some hate him? I like his abilities, I just Dont like them enough to overpay for them. If we could keep him at a fair price, I would love to keep him. He's about the money, more power to him, just not getting it here with such a long fa list.

Slick
01-25-2015, 08:05 PM
Pointing out a player's weaknesses or criticism of any kind means you hate him. Didn't you get the memo?

MOtorboat
01-25-2015, 08:08 PM
No reason except they've made it abundantly clear they want TWICE that or he'll walk.

Do people actually expect a player to lowball himself?

Davii
01-25-2015, 08:22 PM

No, but we also don't expect our team to pay twice what a player is worth. There are teams that will, so if he hits the market he's gone. Why are we jerks for saying so? I'd love him to stay for 5 or 6 million, not more.

dogfish
01-25-2015, 08:28 PM
Pointing out a player's weaknesses or criticism of any kind means you hate him. Didn't you get the memo?

his horrendous blocking pisses me off so bad that i wish his house would burn down. . . :tsk:

MOtorboat
01-25-2015, 08:31 PM
No, but we also don't expect our team to pay twice what a player is worth. There are teams that will, so if he hits the market he's gone. Why are we jerks for saying so? I'd love him to stay for 5 or 6 million, not more.

I didn't say they should and I didn't call anyone a jerk. If you read what I wrote, I agree with you. Other than that I think he will only get $5-7.

TXBRONC
01-25-2015, 09:16 PM
I was just watching video of Andrew Mason's mailbag and he was asked if there was anyway Denver would keep both Thomas' and Knighton and said there really isn't way to keep all three. He thinks Demaryius over Julius hands downs. He said keeping Knighton is important especially if Denver shifts to 3-4. He also added that Denver would not overpay for Knighton either because he only plays about 50-55% of the snaps.

Joel
01-25-2015, 10:29 PM
Evidently:

If they asked ~$5 mil/yr, they'd probably get it; as long as they're demanding 9-10 mil/yr, they probably won't get it from us.

Joel
01-25-2015, 10:36 PM
I was just watching video of Andrew Mason's mailbag and he was asked if there was anyway Denver would keep both Thomas' and Knighton and said there really isn't way to keep all three. He thinks Demaryius over Julius hands downs. He said keeping Knighton is important especially if Denver shifts to 3-4. He also added that Denver would not overpay for Knighton either because he only plays about 50-55% of the snaps.
Would he only play half the snaps in a 3-4 though? Would our nickel look the same, and would we use it as much as the last few years? How many snaps do Wilfork and Raji average when healthy? Just to be clear, those are sincere questions, because I don't know but am very curious about the answers. I'm also curious if we'll give Terrence a look along with Terrance, because it sounds like Cody's done in Baltimore (though I have reservations since his animal cruelty charge; I don't want a serial-killer-in-training like Michael Vick.)

MOtorboat
01-25-2015, 10:37 PM
Evidently:
If they asked ~$5 mil/yr, they'd probably get it; as long as they're demanding 9-10 mil/yr, they probably won't get it from us.

Do you not understand how a frickin' negotiation works?

Thomas clearly wants to see if that number is out there for him, and I'm not going to villanize him for that. I'm also not going to demand Denver pay him that number. So, as we all suspect, he hits the free agent market and if that number is out there, he signs, and if it's not he picks the best offer available. I will be disappointed if Denver doesn't offer him at all.

I suspect he signs for $5-7 million, eventually. But that's not going to happen right now.

dogfish
01-25-2015, 10:44 PM
Do you not understand how a frickin' negotiation works?

Thomas clearly wants to see if that number is out there for him, and I'm not going to villanize him for that. I'm also not going to demand Denver pay him that number. So, as we all suspect, he hits the free agent market and if that number is out there, he signs, and if it's not he picks the best offer available. I will be disappointed if Denver doesn't offer him at all.

I suspect he signs for $5-7 million, eventually. But that's not going to happen right now.

the structure of his contract will matter at least as much as the raw numbers, given his extensive injury history. . . even with piss poor blocking, his overall production is worth a big check. . . when he's on the field, which is obviously the main problem. . . i will admit, though, his complete and utter lack of effort when it comes to blocking is disheartening to me. . . last year, i would've had a seizure if you'd suggested letting him move on. . . but his total lack of progress or desire in that not-unimportant area makes me a lot less concerned about it. . .

Jsteve01
01-25-2015, 11:42 PM
My concern is that these ankle issues seem to be chronic. The blocking issues to me look as if they are from an issue physically as they are lack of want to. If you have no base, you flat can't block. I may be wrong, but that to me is the greater concern moving forward. Do you give huge dollars to a guy who can't stay on the field and whose injuries the past four years have all been to his ankles?

TXBRONC
01-25-2015, 11:53 PM
I don't know why J. Thomas hasn't progressed as a blocker but there was a way keep him here along with D. Thomas and Knighton that's more of a positive for the Broncos than a negative.

BroncoJoe
01-26-2015, 08:59 AM
I don't have a feeling one way or another on JT. My biggest concern is his production will drop once he gets paid. No reason to feel that way - just a hunch.

TXBRONC
01-26-2015, 09:30 AM
I don't have a feeling one way or another on JT. My biggest concern is his production will drop once he gets paid. No reason to feel that way - just a hunch.

Going to system that will have Denver running the ball more will have an impact on his production.

OB
01-26-2015, 10:50 AM
I love JT - I would hate to see him go. Do I think he is worth the money he probably is asking for - no, do I think some team will pay him it, yes, do I think that team is us, no.

I will always be a fan of his, regardless of the team he is on and I will root for him as long as he isnt playing us, just like I do Eddie Royal.

Some guys are just good guys you can help but love - I think JT is one of them

i wish him the best no matter where he goes and will always appreciate what he did here :salute:

Northman
01-26-2015, 12:59 PM
I love JT - I would hate to see him go. Do I think he is worth the money he probably is asking for - no, do I think some team will pay him it, yes, do I think that team is us, no.

I will always be a fan of his, regardless of the team he is on and I will root for him as long as he isnt playing us, just like I do Eddie Royal.

Some guys are just good guys you can help but love - I think JT is one of them

i wish him the best no matter where he goes and will always appreciate what he did here :salute:

Well said, i miss Eddie too.

GEM
01-26-2015, 01:52 PM
Eddie can go EAD. Of all the places to go, he goes to a division rival. A big ole BowlADicks.

weazel
01-26-2015, 02:29 PM
meh...

Slick
01-26-2015, 02:53 PM
Eddie can go EAD. Of all the places to go, he goes to a division rival. A big ole BowlADicks.

Lol! Dayum.

NightTerror218
01-26-2015, 03:02 PM
If JT is free Seattle would be all over him. If I am remembering correctly they offered Harvin for him before sending him to Jets.

TXBRONC
01-26-2015, 04:58 PM

Well that's descriptive. :lol:

Joel
01-26-2015, 05:01 PM
If JT is free Seattle would be all over him. If I am remembering correctly they offered Harvin for him before sending him to Jets.
That was the report, can't recall if it was confirmed. Seattle with a TE who can't block or run routes and without Lynch is a really lovely thought.... :)

GEM
01-26-2015, 05:07 PM
Lol! Dayum.

I burned that dude's jersey the day he signed with the Sparklers. It made for a nice fire in the fireplace. Dead to me.

Lancane
01-26-2015, 05:22 PM
I burned that dude's jersey the day he signed with the Sparklers. It made for a nice fire in the fireplace. Dead to me.

So did you burn on the pictures you took of Eric Decker, even the ones where he had no shirt on when he became a Jet?

GEM
01-26-2015, 05:48 PM
So did you burn on the pictures you took of Eric Decker, even the ones where he had no shirt on when he became a Jet?

I still need to burn his jersey, need to find a fire pit as I no longer have a fireplace. :laugh:

Broncos first.....players a very distant second. Team first! Love my Broncos!

dogfish
01-26-2015, 10:02 PM
Lol! Dayum.

GEM'll tell ya how she feels, no sugarcoating. . .

TXBRONC
01-26-2015, 10:08 PM
GEM'll tell ya how she feels, no sugarcoating. . .

That's one of the things I love about her.

Simple Jaded
01-27-2015, 12:37 AM
Eddie Royal. . .also a better blocker than JT.

GEM
01-27-2015, 09:36 AM

I haven't looked at a topless Decker picture since he left. He's just not as handsome in green and white. :tsk:

TXBRONC
01-27-2015, 09:47 AM
I haven't looked at a topless Decker picture since he left. He's just not as handsome in green and white. :tsk:

I'm dead sexy in orange and blue. :eyebrows:

GEM
01-27-2015, 10:20 AM
I'm dead sexy in orange and blue. :eyebrows:

J2HBdRCroks

:heh:

Denver Native (Carol)
02-16-2015, 09:32 PM
According to Brandon Spano of BSN Denver, Denver Broncos free agent tight end, Julius Thomas, will not be back in Denver for the 2015 season. It's not an assumption, "it's a certainty".

Spano elaborates by saying that Julius Thomas will aggressively hit the free agent market and look for a deal that pays him just under $10M per year. Before the season started, it was reported that he had turned down an offer from the Broncos that would have payed him about $8M per year.

In Spano's report, sources close to Thomas describe him as someone who does not love football and is worried about the future health ramifications of the sport. In fact, one source close to the situation told Spano, “Julius Thomas plays football because he can but not because he has to. He has no long term aspirations for it and is not looking to make a lengthy career out of it.”

It was clear as the season went on that Thomas put forth questionable effort each game, especially after he got hurt and was slow to return to the field. When a player loves the game and loves to play, they try to get back out on the field, at all costs - sometimes recklessly.

rest - http://den.scout.com/story/1518033-report-julius-thomas-out-in-denver

Davii
02-16-2015, 09:41 PM
Only garbage teams will part with 10 mil/yr for him. Have fun playing for the Raiders or Jags.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-16-2015, 09:49 PM
Only garbage teams will part with 10 mil/yr for him. Have fun playing for the Raiders or Jags.

I wonder if Fox/Gase might want him

Ziggy
02-16-2015, 09:50 PM
I wonder if Fox/Gase might want him

They have Martellus Bennett. No need to downgrade.

dogfish
02-16-2015, 10:00 PM
In Spano's report, sources close to Thomas describe him as someone who does not love football and is worried about the future health ramifications of the sport. In fact, one source close to the situation told Spano, “Julius Thomas plays football because he can but not because he has to. He has no long term aspirations for it and is not looking to make a lengthy career out of it.”

yep, that sounds about right. . .

Simple Jaded
02-16-2015, 10:44 PM
Well there went any trade value, I hope it's Denver leaking this dudes motives.

At least he's transparent about what he's all about, that much was obvious from watching him.

Jsteve01
02-16-2015, 11:16 PM
Well there went any trade value, I hope it's Denver leaking this dudes motives.

At least he's transparent about what he's all about, that much was obvious from watching him. as stated previously. I like Brandon. I used to call into his show regularly. He's a down to earth guy, but he's not proven to be the most reliable of sources.

And Ziggy can we make a trade for Martellus Bennet happen? Pleeeeeeeze

Simple Jaded
02-16-2015, 11:21 PM
as stated previously. I like Brandon. I used to call into his show regularly. He's a down to earth guy, but he's not proven to be the most reliable of sources.

Meh, I'll try not to let this cloud my opinion of what a massive ***** JT is.

Btw, Bennett for JT would be tits.

chazoe60
02-16-2015, 11:26 PM
I always laughed my ass off when people would suggest we franchise JT. He is more of a detriment IMHO than a help because of his absolutely atrocious blocking. He is arguably the softest player on the team.

Lancane
02-17-2015, 12:02 AM
Well the Broncos must not think he's that soft if they're making an effort to re-sign him?

So I have to wonder how much of this is coming out of Spano's *** just like when he claimed that Denver was signing Troy Calhoun as the next head coach. Not that I don't agree that Julius Thomas has issues and can not block for ****, but Elway would not want to keep him if the organization felt he was as porous a character as is being portrayed or felt that he was a lousy football player as so many suggest.

Don't get me wrong, I am fine with the Broncos keeping the 8 to 10 mil to spend elsewhere (Knighton) and I would love to see them draft Jesse James, but this seems a little far fetched with Denver acting as if he is such a high priority.

Simple Jaded
02-17-2015, 12:20 AM
Maybe the Broncos are trying to sign JT to a contract commensurate with JT's impact? His CURRENT impact, which is next to nothing outside of running routes.

Btw, $8 MM/per isn't enough for JT? I think we can all agree that's ridiculous.

Lancane
02-17-2015, 12:29 AM
Maybe the Broncos are trying to sign JT to a contract commensurate with JT's impact? His CURRENT impact, which is next to nothing outside of running routes.

Btw, $8 MM/per isn't enough for JT? I think we can all agree that's ridiculous.

Maybe, but I don't see Elway pulling underhanded tactics to get the outcome he wants, IMHO he'd be more like this is it, take it or leave it.

I agree that anything more then 8 mil. is laughable, then again I am not sure how Denver sees him since they want to re-sign him so badly (or make it seem that way).

Personally I'd rather have Jesse James and Terrance Knighton for the money.

Simple Jaded
02-17-2015, 01:07 AM
Agreed, "$4-5 mil/per, that's what you're worth JT, take it or leave it".

As for James, does he really run 4.9's?

Lancane
02-17-2015, 01:24 AM
Agreed, "$4-5 mil/per, that's what you're worth JT, take it or leave it".

As for James, does he really run 4.9's?

Exactly...

As for James his best was 4.6 but he has run a couple 4.9's as well.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-17-2015, 01:43 AM
Who's Jesse James?

Lancane
02-17-2015, 01:45 AM
Who's Jesse James?

Jesse James is one of my favorite players in the draft, he's the Tight End from Penn State. He's been compared a lot to Gronkowski as far as physical toughness and yards after contact.

http://youtu.be/yg7nTsBWZNg

DenBronx
02-17-2015, 06:49 AM
Im thinking Jermaine Gresham for way cheaper. He blocks better and bet he does way better in our offense. He's the same age as Julius.

chazoe60
02-17-2015, 07:30 AM
Well the Broncos must not think he's that soft if they're making an effort to re-sign him?

So I have to wonder how much of this is coming out of Spano's *** just like when he claimed that Denver was signing Troy Calhoun as the next head coach. Not that I don't agree that Julius Thomas has issues and can not block for ****, but Elway would not want to keep him if the organization felt he was as porous a character as is being portrayed or felt that he was a lousy football player as so many suggest.

Don't get me wrong, I am fine with the Broncos keeping the 8 to 10 mil to spend elsewhere (Knighton) and I would love to see them draft Jesse James, but this seems a little far fetched with Denver acting as if he is such a high priority.

I'm not really questioning his character, I just thing he's soft as charmin. He is absolutely not worth $10M a year and I wouldn't pay much of anything to keep him if it was up to me. I think softness is a huge issue for this team and keeping one of its softest players when you could just let him walk would be a big mistake.

GEM
02-17-2015, 10:20 AM
He's got talent, but no heart. Heart will make talent better, no heart will eat away at talent because it won't be on the field.

Buhbye.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-17-2015, 10:52 AM
as stated previously. I like Brandon. I used to call into his show regularly. He's a down to earth guy, but he's not proven to be the most reliable of sources.

We will find out if Brandon knows what he is talking about. Could be the same situation as those who reported that Welker was considering retirement, and Welker said himself that never came out of his mouth.

MileHighCrew
02-17-2015, 10:54 AM
I don't have anything bad to say anout JT, but I do believe he is a product of the Broncos and should thank his stars he was drafted by Denver. I hope Elway doesn't pay him 10m/year and I don't think he will

underrated29
02-17-2015, 11:01 AM
I don't have anything bad to say anout JT, but I do believe he is a product of the Broncos and should thank his stars he was drafted by Denver. I hope Elway doesn't pay him 10m/year and I don't think he will

I don't think he is a product of us. I remember seeing him his rookie year in TC. he was tearing it up! I do not believe we had manning then, which is why I say he's not a product of us.....but thinking back, maybe it was manning....I was thinking it was Kyle Orton but I'm not sure we have had him that long......so you may be correct after all. If it was Orton though we have to give JT credit. He was beasting then in his first few camp days.

MileHighCrew
02-17-2015, 11:14 AM
I don't think he is a product of us. I remember seeing him his rookie year in TC. he was tearing it up! I do not believe we had manning then, which is why I say he's not a product of us.....but thinking back, maybe it was manning....I was thinking it was Kyle Orton but I'm not sure we have had him that long......so you may be correct after all. If it was Orton though we have to give JT credit. He was beasting then in his first few camp days.

He was a surprise in camp but didn't know the route tree, didn't and doesn't block and was always running the wrong route. All the people on this O are a result of Manning but none more than JT. DT was a good player that got better because of Manning. JT was a project that panned out and is lucky he wasn't picked by Buffalo, sat on their PS for 2 years then was out of the league because he didn't know anything about football

TXBRONC
02-17-2015, 11:26 AM

I doubt Elway will pay him that kind of money.

MileHighCrew
02-17-2015, 11:28 AM
I doubt Elway will pay him that kind of money.

agreed and glad he wont.

VonDoom
02-17-2015, 12:16 PM
I don't know if anyone is paying him $10 million a year, except maybe the Raiders (and that would give us a nice comp pick next year ...)

I also don't know how reliable Spano is in reporting this stuff. But if any of those quotes are true ... yikes. I love his red zone abilities, but he leaves a lot to be desired in other areas. And if he really isn't 100% committed to this team (or football in general), I don't see any reason to re-sign him. I kind of assumed we weren't going to anyway, but we could certainly use that money elsewhere.

TXBRONC
02-17-2015, 12:30 PM
I don't know if anyone is paying him $10 million a year, except maybe the Raiders (and that would give us a nice comp pick next year ...)

I also don't know how reliable Spano is in reporting this stuff. But if any of those quotes are true ... yikes. I love his red zone abilities, but he leaves a lot to be desired in other areas. And if he really isn't 100% committed to this team (or football in general), I don't see any reason to re-sign him. I kind of assumed we weren't going to anyway, but we could certainly use that money elsewhere.

I like Spano but there is one thing for sure that he was dead on about and that was Denver's signing of Manning.

weazel
02-17-2015, 12:38 PM
It's too bad the guy took so long to play and then was injured even after that. I still say the NBA has the best FA rules in that a team that brings a player into the league can sign the players to a higher salary but it doesnt 100% count against the cap.

GEM
02-17-2015, 01:15 PM
If the quotes are true....he has no freaking heart. I don't want that around my locker room. You don't want to be here, you don't want to play, you don't love this game....take your $10 Million want and get the **** gone. This team lacked passion that last game. Root out the issue and find guys that would lay down their bodies for the game. There are plenty out there. Maybe less talent, but talent can be taught, heart and passion you either have or you don't.

Ravage!!!
02-17-2015, 01:23 PM
a lot of strong opinions over rumors and "talk"

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-17-2015, 01:23 PM
If the quotes are true....he has no freaking heart. I don't want that around my locker room. You don't want to be here, you don't want to play, you don't love this game....take your $10 Million want and get the **** gone. This team lacked passion that last game. Root out the issue and find guys that would lay down their bodies for the game. There are plenty out there. Maybe less talent, but talent can be taught, heart and passion you either have or you don't.

What quotes are you talking about?

dogfish
02-17-2015, 01:42 PM

sorry rav, looks like your boy could be gone. . .

GEM
02-17-2015, 01:51 PM

yep, that sounds about right. . .

What quotes are you talking about?

That one.

weazel
02-17-2015, 01:53 PM
I'm not going to talk bad about the guy, he's a pretty good talent and scored A LOT of TD's for this team the last couple seasons. It sucks that he's going to go somewhere else for a lot more money but what's he supposed to do? Teams will pay him big money, pretty hard to turn that down.

I don't really think there is anything wrong with this either. So he is worried about what his life after football will be like and wants to make as much coin as he can in the shortest period... sounds like pretty much anyone in any situation. Would you rather him say that he wants to play forever, ending up in a wheelchair and making very little money? Would that make him more likable?

GEM
02-17-2015, 01:59 PM
He led this team in TD's this year, even with what 5 games off? Huge talent. If his sole purpose is to make big money and get out as fast as he can, can't blame him for that, but I don't want that around my team. My team already showed a lack of a whole lot of things in that Indy game, it started with the coaches and went on down, but if you don't want to be here and you don't want to fight to be the best and be on the field, then go earn that big money somewhere else sitting on the bench because your ankles are glass. :shrugs:

VonDoom
02-17-2015, 02:10 PM
This was the most damning part of the article. Again, if the "nameless player" really said these things:

“Julius is here to get his money and get out,” one teammate told me last week. “That’s just how some guys are. He didn’t grow up playing this game and it’s just not in his DNA to put it all out there.” When asked if Julius Thomas was soft like some say, he said, ” where there’s smoke, there’s fire.” According to the teammate, Julius Thomas was healthy enough to play multiple times last season but refused to. In one instance Julius Thomas was heard saying, “I’m about 90% – I’m getting close.”

I don't knock the guy for wanting to get paid. I would just rather it not be us in that circumstance.

Lancane
02-17-2015, 03:09 PM
This was the most damning part of the article. Again, if the "nameless player" really said these things:

I don't knock the guy for wanting to get paid. I would just rather it not be us in that circumstance.

Rather chicken**** to throw a teammate under the bus not even having the balls to put yourself out there to be questioned, if a teammate said it at all. Not to mention that I don't see Elway trying to sign such a weak willed player when he puts so much stock into character...

Slick
02-17-2015, 03:18 PM
I think he might regret not taking the 8 million. I'd be surprised if he gets that, much less the 10 he wants.

Lancane
02-17-2015, 03:22 PM
I think he might regret not taking the 8 million. I'd be surprised if he gets that, much less the 10 he wants.

Not sure regret would be the answer, but if Denver offers him 8 mil and he goes to Oakland for 11 million then it's quite possible there is some truth to this whole thing.

BroncoWave
02-17-2015, 04:00 PM

Where there is smoke there is usually fire. Unless you think Spano was just making up that a teammate of his told him these things.

NightTrainLayne
02-17-2015, 04:03 PM
Back near the end of the regular season Shannon Sharpe was heavily critical of JT and his "softness". I was kind of surprised at the comments coming from Sharpe at the time. Now they are starting to make more sense.

BroncoWave
02-17-2015, 04:07 PM
I really like JT and I didn't want to believe all of the rumor that he was soft either, but you would just have to be bullheaded to deny it now. There is just to much smoke coming from all angles suggesting he's soft for it not to be maybe even a little true. Either the world just has it out for JT, or people may be onto something.

I'd hate to let a player of his talent go, but if his heart is not in the game, then it's just not worth the money he will cost.

Lancane
02-17-2015, 04:18 PM
I like Spano but there is one thing for sure that he was dead on about and that was Denver's signing of Manning.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day TX. It's the few times he is right that gives him such a big head even though the times he's been wrong should have deflated it completely.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-17-2015, 04:23 PM
Denver Broncos sort of stud tight end, Julius Thomas, was thrown under the bus by some/one of his teammates yesterday - according to "shock jock" Brandon Spano. Take these quotes with a grain of salt, but certainly offer up your opinion on them!

rest - http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/2/17/8050147/julius-thomas-wants-that-big-pay-day-not-that-diamond

dogfish
02-17-2015, 04:24 PM
Back near the end of the regular season Shannon Sharpe was heavily critical of JT and his "softness". I was kind of surprised at the comments coming from Sharpe at the time. Now they are starting to make more sense.

"he couldn't block the sun out of his eyes". . .

love me some shay!

TXBRONC
02-17-2015, 04:29 PM
J. Thomas is a very talented pass catcher and an absolute match up nightmare in the passing game and if were to be kept that is a plus for the passing game. However, he can be replaced if it comes to that.

Lancane
02-17-2015, 04:39 PM
J. Thomas is a very talented pass catcher and an absolute match up nightmare in the passing game and if were to be kept that is a plus for the passing game. However, he can be replaced if it comes to that.

Sad thing is that I also dislike players who throw teammates under the bus up there IMHO with being a liar, cheat and lazy *** bum.

But if this is true whatsoever then I do not want him on the roster, the game is brutal at times but when you are looking to 'Take the money and run', leave jack and don't let the door hit you on the way out. And as for the two-faced little snitch, cut his *** if he's not gone already.

Slick
02-17-2015, 04:53 PM
Not sure regret would be the answer, but if Denver offers him 8 mil and he goes to Oakland for 11 million then it's quite possible there is some truth to this whole thing.

I'm pretty sure Denver already offered him 8 and he turned it down. If a team pays him more than that I'll be surprised.

underrated29
02-17-2015, 04:58 PM
Sad thing is that I also dislike players who throw teammates under the bus up there IMHO with being a liar, cheat and lazy *** bum.

But if this is true whatsoever then I do not want him on the roster, the game is brutal at times but when you are looking to 'Take the money and run', leave jack and don't let the door hit you on the way out. And as for the two-faced little snitch, cut his *** if he's not gone already.

Sounds to me like it is someone who plays defense or one of the Olineman. What if it was Von or TJ or Harris? Would you still want to cut them?

WARHORSE
02-17-2015, 05:14 PM
Enjoy Del Rio Julius. Looking forward to hitting you hard and low. Just so you think about it every time you catch the ball.

dogfish
02-17-2015, 05:15 PM
What if it was Von or TJ or Harris? Would you still want to cut them?

my thought as well. . . if it's somebody like harris, he has a right to be pissed at a teammate who won't give full effort-- and who knows whether someone may have already addressed it privately with JT before going public. . . sure, i know someone will say "put your name on it," but you know that's more drama than it's worth. . .

like GEM said. . . i won't hate the guy if it really is all about the money for him-- but he can do it somewhere else, for sure. . . i'd rather sign sanders to a fat extension. . . that dude is all heart. . .

Lancane
02-17-2015, 05:18 PM
Sounds to me like it is someone who plays defense or one of the Olineman. What if it was Von or TJ or Harris? Would you still want to cut them?

I don't see them as the type to do this, look how they all talked up Osweiler to the media and went on that they have great teammates, etc. No this sounds as someone disjointed himself, maybe someone that is on Elway's ****list as well and can not take that Julius' isn't or that they want him to return but show no interest in keeping him. At least Demaryius Thomas was open and pretty much threw everyone under, it wasn't closeted nor do I see any of those three being cowardly about their opinions.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-17-2015, 05:30 PM
from a 2012 article:

The Agent Playbook

From my perspective, the agent's strategy of pursuing more money for the player is quite scripted, with their usual game plan as follows:

1. Express feelings of disappointment about the current contract.

much more - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8003842/nfl-player-strategies-used-earn-more-money

My point in posting this is - are we sure that it was JT who turned down the Broncos' offer, or was it his agent. Keep in mind, the more the player makes, the more the agent makes. I have no idea, there is a possibility that JT wanted to take the 8 mil offer, and his agent talked him out of it, telling him he was worth more, etc. JT is 26 years old, and may have believed everything his agent told him. He is not someone, like Peyton, who has been involved in this for years.

NightTrainLayne
02-17-2015, 05:42 PM
from a 2012 article:

much more - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8003842/nfl-player-strategies-used-earn-more-money

My point in posting this is - are we sure that it was JT who turned down the Broncos' offer, or was it his agent. Keep in mind, the more the player makes, the more the agent makes. I have no idea, there is a possibility that JT wanted to take the 8 mil offer, and his agent talked him out of it, telling him he was worth more, etc. JT is 26 years old, and may have believed everything his agent told him. He is not someone, like Peyton, who has been involved in this for years.

To try and separate player's from their agent's is futile. The Agent's have a fiduciary responsibility to act in their client's best interests. If the agent is not doing so, then it falls on the player to find another agent.

Absent that happening, then the agent's actions on the player's behalf = the player's actions.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-17-2015, 05:44 PM
Here is something else I find interesting - JT's average salary is $420,750, then there are these players who I have no clue who they are, making more - Danny Mason $525,000, Kenny Anunike $510,833, Josh Bush $615,000, Curtis Marsh $660,000

There are other players also that I have no clue who they are making more than JT

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/

BroncoWave
02-17-2015, 05:45 PM
Here is something else I find interesting - JT's average salary is $420,750, then there are these players who I have no clue who they are, making more - Danny Mason $525,000, Kenny Anunike $510,833, Josh Bush $615,000, Curtis Marsh $660,000

There are other players also that I have no clue who they are making more than JT

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/denver-broncos/

Take a look at Russel Wilson's contract while you're at it. It's the norm for young players on their first contract who were not drafted highly to be making that little.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-17-2015, 05:46 PM
To try and separate player's from their agent's is futile. The Agent's have a fiduciary responsibility to act in their client's best interests. If the agent is not doing so, then it falls on the player to find another agent.

Absent that happening, then the agent's actions on the player's behalf = the player's actions.

Of course, the agent acts in their client's best interests, as it also is in the agent's best interest - that is how they make their money - again, the more the player gets, the more the agent gets.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-17-2015, 05:50 PM
Take a look at Russel Wilson's contract while you're at it. It's the norm for young players on their first contract who were not drafted highly to be making that little.

I totally understand that in regards to Wilson, and word is he will be getting one heck of a major raise. Do you have any comments in regards to the players I listed on the Broncos' roster who are making more than DT? Do you even know who they are? Those are the players I was referring to.

underrated29
02-17-2015, 05:51 PM
I don't see them as the type to do this, look how they all talked up Osweiler to the media and went on that they have great teammates, etc. No this sounds as someone disjointed himself, maybe someone that is on Elway's ****list as well and can not take that Julius' isn't or that they want him to return but show no interest in keeping him. At least Demaryius Thomas was open and pretty much threw everyone under, it wasn't closeted nor do I see any of those three being cowardly about their opinions.

Different perspectives I guess.
If someone on my hockey team was half assing it and we needed them to step up I wouldnt hide that in an interview. Dont like what I say- then dont be a pvssy on the team. Now, if the player was saying bad things like he doesnt do this and he doesnt do that and sucks at this and missed this play so we lost or something like that....then I am all for them shutting up or being punished.

I am positive it came from a defensive player or an OL though. My gut says defense. The defense would be on the sidelines at the same time he was when he was sandbagging. They would have heard his comments. The defense is filled with more guys who scrap for their spot (like Harris) and to me the quotes sounded like someone who has been a part of this team for a while- thus negating most everyone on offense aside from Clady (we know it was DT- he already did his talking). Plus, the defensive guys are the ones who see him all the time but never work with him to get that comradere. (is that a word?- looks funny). Theyll have no qualms about stating things like they are... Could be Knighton- he is a vocal leader. Doubtful its anyone else on DL...Could be Demarcus but hes too new. Trev maybe? Harris is a leader and vocal. Rahim I could see saying this, but he is on his way out too so I dont know. My money says Harris or Knighton.

underrated29
02-17-2015, 05:54 PM
I totally understand that in regards to Wilson, and word is he will be getting one heck of a major raise. Do you have any comments in regards to the players I listed on the Broncos' roster who are making more than DT? Do you even know who they are? Those are the players I was referring to.

I know who they are. Anninuke is the only one aside from Bush who may do anything for us. Anninuke is the UFDA who did really for us at DE/DT. But I am failing to understand the point you are getting at DNC? None of those players started or to the best of my knowledge played for us reg season this year in any capacity.

Lancane
02-17-2015, 05:55 PM

I believe Carol that three of them are camp fodder, UFA signings on the Reserve/Future list and I know that Anunike was a camp standout last year but ended up on Injured Reserve.

Lancane
02-17-2015, 06:00 PM
If someone on my hockey team was half assing it and we needed them to step up I wouldnt hide that in an interview. Dont like what I say- then dont be a pvssy on the team. Now, if the player was saying bad things like he doesnt do this and he doesnt do that and sucks at this and missed this play so we lost or something like that....then I am all for them shutting up or being punished.

I am positive it came from a defensive player or an OL though. My gut says defense. The defense would be on the sidelines at the same time he was when he was sandbagging. They would have heard his comments. The defense is filled with more guys who scrap for their spot (like Harris) and to me the quotes sounded like someone who has been a part of this team for a while- thus negating most everyone on offense aside from Clady (we know it was DT- he already did his talking). Plus, the defensive guys are the ones who see him all the time but never work with him to get that comradere. (is that a word?- looks funny). Theyll have no qualms about stating things like they are... Could be Knighton- he is a vocal leader. Doubtful its anyone else on DL...Could be Demarcus but hes too new. Trev maybe? Harris is a leader and vocal. Rahim I could see saying this, but he is on his way out too so I dont know. My money says Harris or Knighton.

Who knows, I just don't respect cowards - got something to say, then say it, support it no matter what the consequences are. I just have a hard time seeing too many on the roster who would throw others under the bus, IMHO I wouldn't be surprised if it was Ramirez, Clark or Caldwell.

BroncoWave
02-17-2015, 06:10 PM

What comment am I supposed to have? I'm not really sure what that has to do with anything. He signed that contract when he was nothing but a major project with basically no football experience. Are you saying he's supposed to be upset because some nobodies on the team are making more than him? I just don't see it that way. The contract he signed is what he was worth when he signed it. Now he will get a bigger one. So what if a few nobodies on the team made slightly more than him?

Denver Native (Carol)
02-17-2015, 06:16 PM
I believe Carol that three of them are camp fodder, UFA signings on the Reserve/Future list and I know that Anunike was a camp standout last year but ended up on Injured Reserve.

That was my point. They are making more money than JT, without playing in a game. JT was playing great last year before he got hurt.

Ravage!!!
02-17-2015, 06:21 PM
I like the "he's a great reciever, creates mis matches, is an incredible red zone threat... but can easily be replaced." :confused:

Lancane
02-17-2015, 06:23 PM
That was my point. They are making more money than JT, without playing in a game. JT was playing great last year before he got hurt.

I completely understand Carol, there are times that it looks like these kids are getting screwed, I think all rookie contracts should have some sort of clause that allows them to up their salary by such a percentage based on playing time, etc. and the NFLPA has argued that should have been part of the rookie wage scale, but then the league said no...so it is what it is, not that it's right.

dogfish
02-17-2015, 06:25 PM

minimum wages are set by the CBA, and have probably gone up since JT signed his 4th round contract years ago. . .

edit; it's not that the broncos think kenny aninuike is a better or more valuable player than JT, but julius was already under contract when they signed those other guys. . . more importantly, thomas was offered a deal that should have more than made up for a year-and-a-half out of four where his production exceeded his wage. . . let's not forget the time denver coaches spent devloping him-- or the extensive time invested in him by our training staff. . . nope, don't feel sorry for him if he was underpaid for the half of this season that he actually played. . .

sorry, carol. . . :fear:

Ravage!!!
02-17-2015, 06:28 PM
I completely understand Carol, there are times that it looks like these kids are getting screwed, I think all rookie contracts should have some sort of clause that allows them to up their salary by such a percentage based on playing time, etc. and the NFLPA has argued that should have been part of the rookie wage scale, but then the league said no...so it is what it is, not that it's right.

its REALLY going to mess up the first round RBs of the NFL. By the time you are done with your rookie contract, you are 26 and are beat up. Another reason to never take a RB in the first round. You will end up paying them for their down years in stead of their UP years.

dogfish
02-17-2015, 06:35 PM
its REALLY going to mess up the first round RBs of the NFL. By the time you are done with your rookie contract, you are 26 and are beat up. Another reason to never take a RB in the first round. You will end up paying them for their down years in stead of their UP years.

they really need to either let RBs leave a year early, or shorten their rookie deals by a year. . . it's just a shit deal right now-- they get run into the ground early, and rarely get a chance to earn the types of big contracts that other guys get. . . this sport isn't the same without great backs, but it's become a loser's proposition for the most talented guys to play there. . . the league's history would be so much poorer without guys like brown , payton, sanders. . . but we probably aren't going to see them going forward. . .

enh, my bad!

[/off-topic mini-rant]

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-17-2015, 07:15 PM

JT also got paid for 2 years to stand on the sideline ( a fair amount last year too), so my heart doesn't exactly bleed for him.

tomjonesrocks
02-17-2015, 07:32 PM
JT also got paid for 2 years to stand on the sideline ( a fair amount last year too), so my heart doesn't exactly bleed for him.

That's really a big reason why losing JT is going to to be disappointing. Denver was very patient with him. It's probably not to far off to say JT wound be nothing without Denver. They discovered him and developed him.

And then he will just peace out with some big payday elsewhere.

TXBRONC
02-17-2015, 07:47 PM
I like the "he's a great reciever, creates mis matches, is an incredible red zone threat... but can easily be replaced." :confused:

He's a tremendous asset but he can be replaced if need be.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-17-2015, 08:05 PM

He played in games all 3 years
http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/14204/julius-thomas

TXBRONC
02-17-2015, 08:23 PM

He was active for those games but he didin't actually get on the field but once in his first two seasons.

Simple Jaded
02-18-2015, 12:17 AM
If JT was underpaid for his season and 1/2 of receiving production he more than made up for it with four full seasons of a complete and utter lack of effort and professionalism in the rest of his responsibilities. My guess is Anunike would embarrass JT if he were asked to go out there and block. . .that is if, ya know, it were remotely possible for JT to be embarrassed by his completely transparent lack of effort.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-18-2015, 01:22 AM

The anonymous source might be offensive if it wasn't already evident on the tape.

jhildebrand
02-18-2015, 01:51 AM
Meh. Even without the change to Kubiak, he was a one dimensional receiver with a knack for disappearing in big games like the balloon boy

Lancane
02-18-2015, 12:30 PM
The anonymous source might be offensive if it wasn't already evident on the tape.

It's offensive period no matter what Al. And I am not talking about Julius Thomas as a person or player (that is really a separate issue), if you have issues or problems with a teammate you go to the coaches or someone else within the organization if need be. But you never, ever F'n turn a teammate out to the media, I was unhappy with Demaryius for throwing the whole team under the bus, but at least he was not targeting a single individual player. It shows as much a lack of character as Julius' own words. And we're seeing more and more of this, it's becoming the culture and that is not good whatsoever, we want our kids to play team sports to learn camaraderie and sportsmanship, not this ****!

Northman
02-18-2015, 12:55 PM

Same.

Plummer retired because his heart wasnt in the game anymore, but at least he walked away. JT sounds like he just wants easy money even if he doesnt have to put 100% to get it. Frankly, i dont want that on this team as there are plenty of guys who also want to get paid but also put the work in. Sounds like Oakland is the best place for JT as most players go there just to get paid and nothing more.

Northman
02-18-2015, 01:04 PM

I think you are kind of missing the point my dear.

JT started 1 game his first 2 years in Denver (played in 9 total sparingly), and in that time he amassed a massive 5 yds receiving.

Now, the last 2 years he has obviously been more active but for those first 2 years he was still getting paid to pretty much sit on his ass.

VonDoom
02-18-2015, 01:26 PM
To piggyback on this story, Spano has a new post up regarding Julius and how apparently his dad is trolling Denver fans in an angry way. See the link for the entire long post, but this guy sounds pretty pissed off. He evidently posted this in the comments section on MHR:

You losers need to quit…..BLACK OPPORTUNITIES MATTER!!!

Looks like John Elway has his henchmen are working overtime. Glad to see so many “so called” Bronco sFans showing their true colors. It’ll be totally classic to see him come back to Denver in Silver & Black and rip the Broncos and their loser fans a new one. This kid has beaten all the odds. You losers have been knocking him since he got drafted, screaming, “he’s a nobody, he didn’t play against anybody, he’s soft, he can’t do this, he can’t do that,” and all he did was prove every critic wrong along the way. When he was setting NFL records all you losers were on his £!€¥.

Just a little Truth:

1. Julius Thomas has not confided in any of his teammates his intentions, desires or goals related to football. He’s only close to two NFL players and that’s Knowshon Moreno and Virgil Green. Knowshon was hated by Elway and Peyton. You see how he got screwed by the Broncos.

2. He had to see a Dr. outside of the organization to get an honest evaluation on his ankle. Just like the 1st time he hurt his ankle.

3. Coach Fox begged him to play when they knew his ankle was hurt so they could keep defenses honest. It was the only way they would have a chance to get a bye in the playoffs. He was only out there as a decoy for a few of games, yet he gets knocked for his production and not playing hurt.

4. He nor his representatives have ever made a statement about demanding to be paid like anyone else. His Agent is very experienced and knows his ability and the market conditions will bear his value. Just like any commodity.

5. The Broncos offered him a piss poor contract before the season. Then said they don’t negotiate after camp starts. Then during camp and during the season they offered him piss poor contracts with no guarantees. Then he is expected to take a chance on ruining his ankle to please people who haven’t shown him any loyalty? Really?

Reality: A young black man has a chance to get a decent contract and some merciless losers try to attack him with false stories and negative comments. At the same time they are swinging on Peyton’s nuts. But noone is attacking him (Peyton) for being greedy, selfish, unloyal, and overpaid. No one is attacking Peyton for being a one dimensional player, a liability, lacking in numerous areas, etc, etc.

Last I checked this was a business. If he would have destroyed his ankle “for the team” Elway would have dropped him this offseason with the quickness, like a piece of rotten meat. Go get paid young man, go get paid. It’s only in America where people want to destroy another man’s sport unity because it doesn’t please them.

BLACK OPPORTUNITIES MATTER

The rest: http://bsndenver.com/julius-thomas-dad-says-broncos-fans-are-losers-and-black-opportunities-matter/

Ziggy
02-18-2015, 01:30 PM
To piggyback on this story, Spano has a new post up regarding Julius and how apparently his dad is trolling Denver fans in an angry way. See the link for the entire long post, but this guy sounds pretty pissed off. He evidently posted this in the comments section on MHR:

The rest: http://bsndenver.com/julius-thomas-dad-says-broncos-fans-are-losers-and-black-opportunities-matter/

This is hilarious. 8 million/year is a piss poor contract for a completely one dimensional TE? I wish I could be abused so badly.

Lancane
02-18-2015, 01:44 PM
This is hilarious. 8 million/year is a piss poor contract for a completely one dimensional TE? I wish I could be abused so badly.

Zigs, I am not sure but I don't believe the salary was the issue it was the lack of security, Denver wanted to give him no guaranteed money or very little it sounds like that is the issue. If Manning gets hurt he'll still get his guaranteed salary, if he is off the books he still gets I believe 10 mil split over the next two seasons. Most players in the NFL, especially starters get some sort of guaranteed money which is what causes the dead money for teams. But let's say that J.T. in the third year of a four year contract is injured enough to be forced out of the game for good, he simply wants to make sure that he will be fine. I have no issue with that and would want the same, despite his attitude if Spano was right (which usually he isn't).

weazel
02-18-2015, 02:01 PM
Go get paid dude. I still don't see anything wrong with a guy wanting to get paid. If someone is willing to pay a guy who has been injured more than not a ton of guaranteed money, that's on them, not the player. You have to remember in the NFL, it's all about the guaranteed money on the table, the rest of the contract is pretty much garbage and can be discarded at any time. I don't blame anyone for turning down a contract with hardly anything guaranteed (if that's what really happened).

Do I think that is his dad? no, sounds like some sad sack raider fan. Will it suck if to see him play for the raiders? yep, because he will produce (when healthy).

Northman
02-18-2015, 02:35 PM

How funny.

His dad claims racism while he totally slams Elway and Manning with his own racist rants and unsubstantiated facts.

Valar Morghulis
02-18-2015, 03:06 PM
I don't think me and JTs dad would be friends.

Sounds like a grade A fuctard to me

Lancane
02-18-2015, 03:23 PM
How funny.

His dad claims racism while he totally slams Elway and Manning with his own racist rants and unsubstantiated facts.

I'm not so sure that is his dad, he kept referring to him abstractly but not as a father would - He is a good boy, my son never did this or that or said this or that. Reread it, it sounds far more like a disgruntled fan. Kuper's dad talks to us often even though he is no longer on the roster, does he refer to him in such an offhanded manner? If this dude really is J.T's dad, no wonder the kid has an attitude problem.

Northman
02-18-2015, 03:25 PM
I'm not so sure that is his dad, he kept referring to him abstractly but not as a father would - He is a good boy, my son never did this or that or said this or that. Reread it, it sounds far more like a disgruntled fan. Kuper's dad talks to us often even though he is no longer on the roster, does he refer to him in such an offhanded manner? If this dude really is J.T's dad, no wonder the kid has an attitude problem.

Could be a fan but i wouldnt be surprised if it really was his dad either. Sometimes, the egg doesnt fall far from the tree.

VonDoom
02-18-2015, 03:43 PM

I was skeptical too, but there is a Twitter account under that same handle that certainly belongs to his dad (it's referenced in the article). Nothing said on that Twitter was as volatile as this, but he definitely took some shots at Manning and Elway on there. So unless some smart Raiders fan took that screen name to troll MHR, it's probably legit.

Lancane
02-18-2015, 03:54 PM
I was skeptical too, but there is a Twitter account under that same handle that certainly belongs to his dad (it's referenced in the article). Nothing said on that Twitter was as volatile as this, but he definitely took some shots at Manning and Elway on there. So unless some smart Raiders fan took that screen name to troll MHR, it's probably legit.

Well, this reminds me of Draft Day when Costner tells the kid to get off Twitter before he sabotages his career, J.T. might want to check his daddy before his dad does that to him, if he hasn't already! No wonder the kid is so socially awkward and has a crap attitude to boot.

tripp
02-18-2015, 04:11 PM
Not worth the money. Peyton can make some average TE's look explosive. Not saying JT is average, I think he's above average, but we need a TE who can block. Period. Don't need another receiver. Sorry.

Lancane
02-18-2015, 04:41 PM
Not worth the money. Peyton can make some average TE's look explosive. Not saying JT is average, I think he's above average, but we need a TE who can block. Period. Don't need another receiver. Sorry.

We need Jesse James of Penn State, the end. :lol:

Valar Morghulis
02-18-2015, 05:08 PM
We need Jesse James of Penn State, the end. :lol:

And Hackenberg next year to throw to him

Lancane
02-18-2015, 05:17 PM
And Hackenberg next year to throw to him

I wish...lol. Hackenberg will be a Top 10 pick.

Simple Jaded
02-18-2015, 05:39 PM
Now that Spano is reporting anti-Manning rumors from JT's helicopter Dad watch his credibility go through the roof, all of a sudden he's going to be top notch journalist.

weazel
02-18-2015, 06:05 PM

I didn't see him making any other TE's on our roster look explosive. In fact, the last quarter of the season, nothing I seen from Manning or this team was very explosive.

DenBronx
02-18-2015, 08:12 PM
His dad sounds like a real winner.

Not.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-18-2015, 08:21 PM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 2m

Said this before .. if Julius Thomas bolts, wouldn't be surprised if Broncos make a run at Owen Daniels. He followed Kubiak to Baltimore.

Simple Jaded
02-18-2015, 08:48 PM
Owen Daniels played for $1 M last season, that's solid value.

Simple Jaded
02-18-2015, 08:52 PM
His dad sounds like a real winner.

Not.

#PeterTebow.

VonDoom
02-18-2015, 09:08 PM

Said this before .. if Julius Thomas bolts, wouldn't be surprised if Broncos make a run at Owen Daniels. He followed Kubiak to Baltimore.

I assumed we're getting Daniels anyway but he's not going to replace JT's production. We'll need a real number one TE and he isn't it

OB
02-18-2015, 09:37 PM
Ya - Peyton couldnt make Tamme look half way decent so there is no doubt in my mind JT has talent - does he have $5mm talent - ehh....

I understand going on a rant when it comes to defending your kid but dang...although I am not sure he didnt say something that wasnt splattered all over these boards for the last couple months - he should have every right to say it just like we do

TXBRONC
02-18-2015, 10:00 PM

What does he have left in the tank?

Lancane
02-18-2015, 10:08 PM
What does he have left in the tank.

About one season to be honest. He'll be a one year rental to help along Green and whoever else we bring in.

DenBronx
02-18-2015, 10:15 PM
Germain Gresham and Ownen Daniels.

Lancane
02-18-2015, 10:23 PM
Germain Gresham and Ownen Daniels.

I highly doubt it DB, Denver is giving serious looks to several tight ends in the draft, I'd say one or the other and Daniels will come cheaper IMHO.

TXBRONC
02-19-2015, 09:41 AM
About one season to be honest. He'll be a one year rental to help along Green and whoever else we bring in.

That is what I'm thinking.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-19-2015, 10:04 AM
John Elway has a busy offseason ahead of him, even without taking into consideration the monster decision looming at quarterback.

The groundwork for the near future in Denver will be laid over the next few days, where Elway will meet with the agents of nearly all his soon-to-depart players and begin the groundwork of a few long-term deals.

But it's also telling that there are certain agents he won't be meeting with.

According to The Denver Post, Elway does not yet have plans to sit down with Frank Bauer, the agent for tight end Julius Thomas. While those plans could change, no meeting would almost certainly stamp Thomas' ticket into free agency.

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000471826/article/report-elway-wont-meet-with-julius-thomas-agent

Yesterday, it was reported that Elway would speak with Bauer, so that report was either inaccurate, or things have changed.

weazel
02-19-2015, 10:16 AM
any of you saying that JT is "average" or that the Broncos can just pick up another TE and not miss a beat are fooling yourselves or just plain butt hurt. JT is an upper echelon receiving TE in this league and his production will not be replaced by another average TE. Knock his blocking all you want, heck knock his route running but when you have the size and skills he does, the routes dont have to be perfect. This is not a minor loss like a lot of you are trying to make it sound.

GEM
02-19-2015, 10:32 AM
rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000471826/article/report-elway-wont-meet-with-julius-thomas-agent

Yesterday, it was reported that Elway would speak with Bauer, so that report was either inaccurate, or things have changed.

The only report I saw yesterday said that he would meet with Pot Roast's agent, Orlando Franklin's agent, Rahim Moore's agent and Demaryius Thomas' agent. That was from the Denver Post article you posted yesterday. It also states there are no plans to meet with Julius Thomas' agent.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27552799/broncos-john-elway-says-peyton-manning-hasnt-made

Besides personally scouting the group of draft prospects, the Broncos will meet this week with representatives of their free agent players. There is a meeting scheduled with agents for defensive tackle Terrance Knighton, receiver Demaryius Thomas, guard-tackle Orlando Franklin and safety Rahim Moore, among others.

"We'll see where everybody is," Elway said.

There is no meeting scheduled, though, with Frank Bauer, agent for Julius Thomas, as it appears the talented, but ankle-troubled tight end wants to test free agency when the market opens March 10.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-19-2015, 10:51 AM
The only report I saw yesterday said that he would meet with Pot Roast's agent, Orlando Franklin's agent, Rahim Moore's agent and Demaryius Thomas' agent. That was from the Denver Post article you posted yesterday. It also states there are no plans to meet with Julius Thomas' agent.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27552799/broncos-john-elway-says-peyton-manning-hasnt-made

You are right - guess it's time for me to wake up - lol. It was not JT's agent, but Knighton's agent.

TXBRONC
02-19-2015, 10:57 AM
any of you saying that JT is "average" or that the Broncos can just pick up another TE and not miss a beat are fooling yourselves or just plain butt hurt. JT is an upper echelon receiving TE in this league and his production will not be replaced by another average TE. Knock his blocking all you want, heck knock his route running but when you have the size and skills he does, the routes dont have to be perfect. This is not a minor loss like a lot of you are trying to make it sound.

I agree J. Thomas is a very good receiving tight but comparatively speaking it would be easier to replace him than it is to replace D. Thomas. In the offense that Denver is going to run now J.Thomas has to be at the very least functional at blocking and right now he's not.

The other problem he has is his availability. Missing as much time as he has with injury is as detrimental to the offense as poor blocking.

GEM
02-19-2015, 10:57 AM
You are right - guess it's time for me to wake up - lol. It was not JT's agent, but Knighton's agent.

Tis ok, Carol. :D You always do an awesome job! You find all the articles! Have a great day!!

weazel
02-19-2015, 11:00 AM
I agree J. Thomas is a very good receiving tight but comparatively speaking it would be easier to replace him than it is to replace D. Thomas. In the offense that Denver is going to run now J.Thomas has to be at the very least functional at blocking and right now he's not.

The other problem he has is his availability. Missing as much time as he has with injury is as detrimental to the offense as poor blocking.

oh I agree with you TX, I just find all the "oh well, big deal..." posts kind of odd, it sounds like sour grapes

Ravage!!!
02-19-2015, 11:08 AM
His poor blocking gets sooo much exaggerated comments on this board. Probably due to the overwhelming bombardment we have gotten from certain posters, that it's now just an "understood" fact. Sure didn't seem to be a problem season before last.

I think the loss of JT's presence will hurt Welker and DT, both. Hopefully Manning can play better this season than he did last.

Lancane
02-19-2015, 11:12 AM

It's easier to replace players on a roster more then any other time in league history. If we go back two decades that is not the case, franchise or even great players were rare, now? So it J.T. replaceable? Yeah, but that doesn't diminish his skillset or ability, but truthfully the only one on our roster not replaceable at this time is Von Miller IMHO.

Northman
02-19-2015, 11:56 AM

Yes and no.

JT has a lot of skill and can make plays at times. But there are also some negatives to his game which cant really be overlooked for the price he apparently wants. Route running, blocking, chronic injuries are some pretty big negatives when you have a player who wants to be paid the big bucks. I dont blame JT for wanting the pay day but i also dont feel he quite deserves it yet until he improves in those other areas. I do think you can take a guy like Daniels and at the very least get decent production out of him and if he can block and is more of a well rounded TE overall than that is just a bonus. While some people may be under estimating his value there are also people who are totally over valuing him. Fact is, JT was a project from day 1 and certainly has the tools to be elite, but he still has a lot of minuses right now in his game which i believe drops his overall worth. For a QB like Andrew Luck, JT would be a major factor or more of a factor because he can move around in the pocket. For a guy like Manning, its imperative that the TE have solid route running and blocking ability.

dogfish
02-19-2015, 12:01 PM
His poor blocking gets sooo much exaggerated comments on this board. Probably due to the overwhelming bombardment we have gotten from certain posters, that it's now just an "understood" fact. Sure didn't seem to be a problem season before last.

is shannon sharpe a poster here?

"he couldn't block the sun from his eyes". . .

Buff
02-19-2015, 12:19 PM

I think the loss of JT's presence will hurt Welker and DT, both. Hopefully Manning can play better this season than he did last.

JT is a dominant pass catching TE, and a matchup nightmare for defenses. Our passing offense was not nearly as effective with him out.

But he CANNOT block. Period. He can't block and he sat out half a season with a sprained ankle. Those points cannot be overstated.

For those reasons, it's hard to justify his price tag - he's the very definition of a one dimensional player.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-19-2015, 12:35 PM
JT is a dominant pass catching TE, and a matchup nightmare for defenses. Our passing offense was not nearly as effective with him out.

But he CANNOT block. Period. He can't block and he sat out half a season with a sprained ankle. Those points cannot be overstated.

For those reasons, it's hard to justify his price tag - he's the very definition of a one dimensional player.

Right, just because I state his blocking is awful doesn't mean I don't recognize he is an exceptional receiving talent; BOTH are undeniable.

Is a pass catching TE who can't block and plays 25% of the games actually worth $8-10 million per year? Not on this planet, but he is in Oakland. :D

Lancane
02-19-2015, 12:55 PM
In truth I think that has to have been his dad, Denver has gone from interested it seems to not at all and are looking at several tight ends in the draft. Also, I seriously would be less pissed about J. Thomas going to Oakland (despite being in the same division) as I would if he and Knighton both ended up there.

underrated29
02-19-2015, 01:04 PM
In truth I think that has to have been his dad, Denver has gone from interested it seems to not at all and are looking at several tight ends in the draft. Also, I seriously would be less pissed about J. Thomas going to Oakland (despite being in the same division) as I would if he and Knighton both ended up there.

While I agree, we are likely going to sign and or draft at least 2 TEs, most likely 3. We currently have 1- Virg (assuming we keep him- I know we will) and some camp fodder guys. My money says we sign a FA and Draft one early and one late. We took Virg and JT in the same draft year I think.

Lancane
02-19-2015, 01:08 PM
While I agree, we are likely going to sign and or draft at least 2 TEs, most likely 3. We currently have 1- Virg (assuming we keep him- I know we will) and some camp fodder guys. My money says we sign a FA and Draft one early and one late. We took Virg and JT in the same draft year I think.

They did, and it's quite possible with the number of picks they have that two will be spent on Tight Ends as you suggest.

Rick
02-19-2015, 01:11 PM

It is a gamble, for them AND the owners.

By that clause though player gets picked at a spot, gets a wage based on where he is picked, and maybe has an option then to renegotiate based on criteria, and if that was the case, there needs to be the same clause for the owners who picked a guy in the first round but is playing like a 5th rounder to renegotiate.

Lancane
02-19-2015, 01:16 PM
It is a gamble, for them AND the owners.

By that clause though player gets picked at a spot, gets a wage based on where he is picked, and maybe has an option then to renegotiate based on criteria, and if that was the case, there needs to be the same clause for the owners who picked a guy in the first round but is playing like a 5th rounder to renegotiate.

As I said Rick it was suppose to be based on playing time and we're not talking multi million dollar jumps but usually about double their salary and first round picks were suppose to be exempt because the size of their contracts as is, so a kid making 400 grand would jump to 800 grand, a kid making 500 grand to a cool mil - it would have little to no effect on much of the scale.

underrated29
02-19-2015, 01:29 PM
Itll be interesting to see how your boy Jesse James does in the Combine. If he runs well he could go very early and if not he could be later....Where do you think he will go?

I am not sure I see him until 3-4, but some say he is a 5 or 6th rd guy.

GEM
02-19-2015, 01:32 PM
I think the Broncos have the correct goals in mind, minus 1. D. Thomas, Pot Roast and Franklin....not so high on keeping Rahim around, but I guess if they can get him cheap, they think that will be one less whole they need to fill?

I think the lack of blocking and the lack of heart shown is what did Julius in. For sure he is an amazing pass catcher, for sure we will see some drop off for when he played, but guess what he didn't play the last what 5-6 games and we did ok, not great but serviceable. He's just not worth $10Mil a year, no way no how. $8mil is pretty fair, though if there were issues on guarantees, I would agree with Julius not being cool with that, especially with his ankle history.

He's also his own worst enemy and his dad is second in that line.

Simple Jaded
02-19-2015, 09:20 PM

It was a problem in '13.

The Difference is he used to try and sucked at blocking, last season he didn't even pretend to be interested, used to be he couldn't block, now it's that he won't block. And from the sounds of it he doesn't think it matters.

Last straw for me was when he took Calais Campbell's knee out because he's too big of a pansy to block it the way it was supposed to be blocked.

He's an ankle biter, a Bull Mastiff with a Chijuajua's mentality.

Slick
02-20-2015, 10:06 AM
Supposedly JT's Dad has been showing his ass over on MHR. I don't really care enough to dig it up.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
02-20-2015, 10:14 AM
Supposedly JT's Dad has been showing his ass over on MHR. I don't really care enough to dig it up.

It's in this thread a few pages back.

Denver Native (Carol)
02-20-2015, 03:41 PM
INDIANAPOLIS — - In any breakup, there is usually not one reason. but many. There is not one side to the story, but two - even three or more in today's social media world that draws, if not invites, outsiders to weigh in.

The Broncos and their two-time Pro Bowl tight end Julius Thomas haven't formally split, but they seem to be headed their separate ways. Neither side has said much about how their contract negotiations fractured, but Thomas in recent months has received unflattering commentary from bloggers and twitterers.

"The Broncos came to me, we tried to get it done, it didn't work," Frank Bauer, Thomas' agent, said before the annual players' union-agent meeting Friday. "Does Julius love Denver? Yes. Does Julius love the fans there? No question. Does he love the organization and the community? Look at what he does for kids in that town.

"But for some reason people are trying to tear him down. In my opinion what they're doing by tearing him down is pushing him away."

Thomas will become an unrestricted free agent on March 10. While it's possible the Broncos will revisit negotiations, no talks are scheduled. The Broncos had tried to work out a contract extension with Thomas last summer. Talks broke off with the team's latest extension offer coming in at five years, $40 million, or $8 million a year. It would have made him the league's third-highest-paid tight end, behind only Jimmy Graham and Rob Gronkowski. That's the team's view.

rest - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27567492/broncos-not-scheduled-negotiate-julius-thomas

DenBronx
02-20-2015, 04:29 PM
Here's why I now have a problem with Julius.

He isnt acting like he really wants to be here. Like he dgaf if he leaves or not. The Broncos have done nothing but give him opportunities here. We raised his ass! Made something out of nothing when most other teams wouldn't! He then became a star here. To my suprised Denver offered him the 3rd HIGHEST TE contract in the NFL!! Wowzer! I didn't even think Denver would do that. Now his dad is ranting and raving at us fans....shut the hell up old man!!!

If Julius wants more than what the Broncos last offered him then bye! **** of here then.

At least Pot Roast has been wanting a new deal here. He said last offseason his agent reached out to us, mid season they reached out again and now after seasons end theh did again. The Broncos haven't even tried with Pot Roast yet. They actually are putting a priority with Julius over Pot Roast and imo Pot Roast is the guy we need most out of those 2. Id make a deal with Pot Roast and DT. Franchise JT then trade his ass to Seattle.

Rick
02-20-2015, 04:34 PM
If he wants to be the highest paid TE maybe he should start by finishing a season, and complete a block or 2. 3rd highest is more than generous.

Northman
02-20-2015, 04:42 PM
Its hilarious that JT and his camp are playing victim. If you were at all reasonable with what you were asking as a price tag you wouldnt be getting so much backlash. If you want out, get out. But dont start trying to throw the franchise under the bus just because they dont feel you are worth what you are asking.

Lancane
02-20-2015, 04:45 PM
Its hilarious that JT and his camp are playing victim. If you were at all reasonable with what you were asking as a price tag you wouldnt be getting so much backlash. If you want out, get out. But dont start trying to throw the franchise under the bus just because they dont feel you are worth what you are asking.

As I said the other day, this was likely to happen given his daddy's stupid negative PR rant. Sometimes players, friends and family members should keep their nose out of the business, they don't help their loved ones only hurt them.

Northman
02-20-2015, 05:10 PM
As I said the other day, this was likely to happen given his daddy's stupid negative PR rant. Sometimes players, friends and family members should keep their nose out of the business, they don't help their loved ones only hurt them.

Reminds me a bit of Tebow's brother.

BroncoJoe
02-20-2015, 05:13 PM
F Julius.

MO be damned.

DenBronx
02-20-2015, 05:38 PM
His agent is now saying Denver didn't offer enough "guaranteed money".

**** off!

Ravage!!!
02-20-2015, 06:23 PM
His agent is now saying Denver didn't offer enough "guaranteed money".

**** off!

Every player in the NFL is lookign for the guaranteed money. I don't blame them. The fans scream "loyalty loyalty".. but the moment that player misses time due to injury, they are screaming "cut that bum, cut that bum." Without guaranteed money, the NFL contracts are basically one year deals.

GEM
02-20-2015, 06:40 PM
#ByeFelicia

Ravage!!!
02-21-2015, 09:55 AM
Seems that the Broncos offer wasn't REALLY for 8 million a year (which would have made him the 3rd highest)...but 6.77 million a year which would have made him the NINETH highest paid TE in the NFL.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27567492/broncos-not-scheduled-negotiate-julius-thomas

However, the Broncos also wanted to keep Thomas' 2014 salary at $645,000. So another way to look at the deal was six years and $40.645 million, or $6.77 million a year. That would have ranked No. 9 in average value among tight ends. That's the player's view.

BroncoWave
02-21-2015, 10:01 AM
Seems that the Broncos offer wasn't REALLY for 8 million a year (which would have made him the 3rd highest)...but 6.77 million a year which would have made him the NINETH highest paid TE in the NFL.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27567492/broncos-not-scheduled-negotiate-julius-thomas

You know, there is probably good reason they are not offering him top money. If Denver really saw him as this stud, elite, top-3 TE that some of our fans see him as, I don't think Elway would have ay qualms with offering him that kind of deal. But given that he seems to have no particular desire to give him that kind of contract, that has to tell you something. Maybe it's the injury concerns, toughness concerns, or something. Obviously Elway has some reason to worry that JT might not be worth that kind of money. If anything, it just lends more credence to all the talk about JT being "soft" or not really being into football all that much. If those weren't concerns, there would be no reason for Elway not to just lock him up.

Ravage!!!
02-21-2015, 10:06 AM
You know, there is probably good reason they are not offering him top money. If Denver really saw him as this stud, elite, top-3 TE that some of our fans see him as, I don't think Elway would have ay qualms with offering him that kind of deal. But given that he seems to have no particular desire to give him that kind of contract, that has to tell you something. Maybe it's the injury concerns, toughness concerns, or something. Obviously Elway has some reason to worry that JT might not be worth that kind of money. If anything, it just lends more credence to all the talk about JT being "soft" or not really being into football all that much. If those weren't concerns, there would be no reason for Elway not to just lock him up.

It could just come down to the money, period. I think the fans on this board talk about his softness because its been the catch phrase lately. People don't like him continue to throw it out, and that all of a sudden becomes the choice words to use.....because we like to bash players that consider the idea of leaving.

But Denver DID make him an offer. They just wanted it to be a 6 year deal instead of a 5. So is there really a reason other than the fact that Elway made an offer and that is that? I mean, that may be Elway's MO... this is the offer, take it or leave it. Thomas didn't lose anything by leaving it, because he was paid the SAME amount he was goign to be offered by the Broncos, anyway. So it's pretty much a no-brainer to pass on that offer.

BroncoWave
02-21-2015, 10:10 AM
It could just come down to the money, period. I think the fans on this board talk about his softness because its been the catch phrase lately. People don't like him continue to throw it out, and that all of a sudden becomes the choice words to use.....because we like to bash players that consider the idea of leaving.

But Denver DID make him an offer. They just wanted it to be a 6 year deal instead of a 5. So is there really a reason other than the fact that Elway made an offer and that is that? I mean, that may be Elway's MO... this is the offer, take it or leave it. Thomas didn't lose anything by leaving it, because he was paid the SAME amount he was goign to be offered by the Broncos, anyway. So it's pretty much a no-brainer to pass on that offer.

I just think if Elway really viewed JT as an elite player that he really wanted to keep around, he wouldn't have low-balled him. Clearly there are injury concerns with him as well as him being pretty one-dimensional. I can see why Elway wouldn't want to pay him top dollar.

BroncoJoe
02-21-2015, 10:11 AM
It's really pretty simple for me:

If he stays, great. I'm a Julius fan. If he leaves, F him. Said it a 100 times - I'm a fan of the team, not the players.

Ravage!!!
02-21-2015, 10:15 AM
I just think if Elway really viewed JT as an elite player that he really wanted to keep around, he wouldn't have low-balled him. Clearly there are injury concerns with him as well as him being pretty one-dimensional. I can see why Elway wouldn't want to pay him top dollar.

I can also see that Elway simply would want to save salary cap and tries to get the best deal possible... HOPING they take that 6 year deal instead of the 5 because it saves cap space.