PDA

View Full Version : JJ Watt signs off on Broncos' hiring of Bill Kollar for D-line

Denver Native (Carol)
01-24-2015, 03:14 PM
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — For a guy who played quarterback in college, Jay Rodgers did a nice job as the Broncos' defensive line coach the past three seasons.

Bill Kollar, 62, is a defensive line coach who played defensive line. A former first-round draft pick, and an NFL coach for 25 consecutive years, Kollar is the Broncos' new defensive line coach.

It's the second time new Broncos head coach Gary Kubiak has hired Kollar. He first hired him in 2009 for the Houston Texans, where Kollar stayed through this season.

"He's always going to shoot you straight," Texans star J.J. Watt, the NFL's best defensive lineman, said after his Pro Bowl team's practice Friday at Scottsdale Community College. "He's going to coach you hard and tell you like it is. Kubiak, Kollar, everybody, yeah, you guys (in Denver) have got a great staff."

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27383696/jj-watt-signs-off-broncos-hiring-bill-kollar-d-line

Lancane
01-24-2015, 03:20 PM
I think nabbing Kollar is huge for Denver, just wish we knew more on the DC front.

Ziggy
01-24-2015, 04:28 PM
It says a lot that he's the one defensive guy that they brought in from the outside before hiring a DC. That tells me that he's the kind of coach that every DC wants on their staff.

aberdien
01-24-2015, 04:38 PM
Watt can come too if he wants.

Jsteve01
01-24-2015, 04:59 PM
null Wolfe and Jackson will benefit greatly from this signing

GEM
01-24-2015, 06:51 PM
So Watt...since you like the staff...:D

DenBronx
01-24-2015, 08:37 PM
Watt can come too if he wants.

He's my fav defensive player. Would trade Von Miller for him plus a draft pick.

Lancane
01-24-2015, 08:57 PM

I wouldn't, Watt is an excellent football player but Von is a Bronco. I'm sick of seeing top notch Bronco talent going elsewhere. How would you feel if K. Mecklenberg had been traded for L. Taylor. Granted Taylor was a great player but Meck was and is a Bronco through and through.

Ravage!!!
01-24-2015, 10:41 PM
I wouldn't, Watt is an excellent football player but Von is a Bronco. I'm sick of seeing top notch Bronco talent going elsewhere. How would you feel if K. Mecklenberg had been traded for L. Taylor. Granted Taylor was a great player but Meck was and is a Bronco through and through.

I think that's a generational thing, Lan. In today's professional sports, fans don't really root for players as much as we root for 'uniforms"..(taking a line from Seinfeld). With free agency and salary cap casualties, we don't seem to get as connected to players as we used to. People are "ok" with a top player leaving if he's asking for top money.

Personally, I'm ok with paying top money for top talent and, like you, prefer to see our drafted guys stick around.

Lancane
01-25-2015, 10:54 AM
I think that's a generational thing, Lan. In today's professional sports, fans don't really root for players as much as we root for 'uniforms"..(taking a line from Seinfeld). With free agency and salary cap casualties, we don't seem to get as connected to players as we used to. People are "ok" with a top player leaving if he's asking for top money.

Personally, I'm ok with paying top money for top talent and, like you, prefer to see our drafted guys stick around.

It's more then just 'our' drafted talent, it's something in their eyes, their voices - they buy into the organization as Elway did, as Davis, Mecklenberg, T. Jackson, R. Smith, E. McCaffrey, Sharpe, Atwater, Dennison, Bailey, Crockett, Croel, Gradishar, Schlereth, Zimmerman, Nalen, Braxton, A. Wilson and the like did. I can not explain it, you can simply tell when you see it. And right now Von is one of the few true Broncos we have, the others I get that feeling from are E. Sanders, Vasquez, Ramirez, Green, S. Williams, C. Harris, Roby and I am teetering on the line about Knighton. I don't feel the same regarding many others, can not tell if it's all about the paycheck or if they literally buy into the organization and the goals - that is something that Carroll and Harbaugh are great at, they get their players - most anyway to buy completely in and the players become loyal not only to them but the whole of the organization. Could I be mistaken? Of course... I am just sick of seeing top talent walk in the same essence, but those who wanted to stay and were snubbed like Decker, Cromartie, Vickerson, etc. I'd rather pay the same to someone that wants to be here then save a simple million for his replacement who might not want to be.

I'd rather have paid Decker the 7-8 million then 'Bey-Bey' 11-12 million, Decker had that feel whereas I am unsure about D. Thomas. J. Thomas doesn't have that feel either, but Virgil Green does, Joel Dreessen does, and at the price he's asking then you let him go. Knighton says he wants to be a Bronco that he'll even take less - that is closer to a Bronco then many others and why IMHO he should be the top priority in re-signing...prove it.

Elway wants to build a winning franchise, copying Haurbaugh and Carroll is a better blueprint then say Belichick or Fox.

TXBRONC
01-25-2015, 02:41 PM

I would rather have both of them instead of one or the other.

tripleoption
01-25-2015, 03:20 PM
I don't pay any attention to who's available as free agents, but when will Watt become a free agent? Is it possible he'd want to come to Denver if Kubiak is coach? Would it be a good move for us?

*Atwater*
01-25-2015, 03:30 PM
I don't pay any attention to who's available as free agents, but when will Watt become a free agent? Is it possible he'd want to come to Denver if Kubiak is coach? Would it be a good move for us?

TXBRONC
01-25-2015, 03:30 PM

Talent wise to would be a boon for the team but the chances of him getting away from the Texans seems remote.

Ravage!!!
01-25-2015, 03:36 PM

would it be a good move to have the most dominating defensive player in the NFL on our team?

eh.. maybe.

DenBronx
01-25-2015, 05:51 PM

I would rather have both of them instead of one or the other.

Now you're just getting greedy TX.

TXBRONC
01-25-2015, 06:22 PM
Now you're just getting greedy TX.

Yes, yes I am.