PDA

View Full Version : Rick Dennison hiring a stroke of genius by Broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
01-23-2015, 05:55 PM
GLENDALE, Ariz. — If he talked more, more people might know Rick Dennison is one of the NFL's smartest men.

Then again, the fact Dennison doesn't talk much is just one reason he's so smart.

There are others. His father was the University of Montana's president for 20 years, so smarts is in Dennison's blood. While playing tight end at Colorado State, Dennison, 56, got his master's degree in engineering.

He was smart enough to put all that education aside and pick up the linebacker position for the Broncos from 1982-90.

AND

Which leads to the other adjustment for the Broncos' offensive coaching staff. This one is with their quarterback, Peyton Manning. Even if Manning comes back for his fourth Broncos season as expected, he won't be bringing along the type of mobility preferred in Kubiak's offensive system.

"You know, Matt Schaub didn't either, and he was able to do it," Dennison said about the former Texans quarterback. "There's enough variety in the offense that we'll figure it out. You always want to work to the players' strengths."

rest - interesting
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27376461/hiring-dennison-stroke-genius

Joel
01-23-2015, 07:22 PM
Huh, I knew Denny's smart, but didn't know he's the son of a state university president and holds an engineering masters. It takes a pretty sharp deep thinker for even a bachelors in most engineering disciplines, especially when anyone good enough to make an NFL roster and be the starting LB on 3 SB teams can usually skate by with a communications or kinesiology major they may or may not complete. Didn't know he played TE in college and converted to NFL LB either; that means the only offensive position he hasn't played or coached is RB and WR, which explains a lot.

For all that though, I'm not sure rehiring counts as a stroke of genius, because he's only coached three seasons away from Kubiak, and that was only because of succeeding him as Broncos OC when Kubiak took Houstons head coaching job. The stroke of genius will be when some team offers DENNISON a head coaching job, which will probably be soon; he's too good, too smart and has experience with too many different positions on the field in addition to running whole offenses here and in Houston. Unless he opts to be an offensive Dick LeBeau, we may have to enjoy him while it lasts; looks like Kubiak all over again.

If that happens though, it'll almost certainly because of great and consistent offensive success in Denver first, so I couldn't feel bad about it; he's given us a lot and deserves his own team. Just, y'know, help this one win a few more championships first.... ;)

Simple Jaded
01-23-2015, 08:50 PM
Dennison shits juggernaut.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-23-2015, 09:43 PM
I was hoping we'd hire Dennison instead of Fox 4 years ago.

Joel
01-23-2015, 09:46 PM
Still unsure why we didn't; when we rehired Kubiak Legwold did a Dove Valley video report for ESPN, and one of the things he noted was that we'd probably bring Dennison back not only because he always stays with Kubiak, but because he reportedly blew the Broncos away at his HC interview back then. Yet we went with the "not too shabby" guy who'd just been fired because of his 2-14 season.

TXBRONC
01-23-2015, 09:48 PM

At the time hiring Fox was the best move. He was experienced head coach who had some success in the League.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-23-2015, 11:25 PM
At the time hiring Fox was the best move. He was experienced head coach who had some success in the League.

I don't necessarily disagree. I was just really high on Dennison.

MOtorboat
01-24-2015, 02:53 AM
Still unsure why we didn't; when we rehired Kubiak Legwold did a Dove Valley video report for ESPN, and one of the things he noted was that we'd probably bring Dennison back not only because he always stays with Kubiak, but because he reportedly blew the Broncos away at his HC interview back then. Yet we went with the "not too shabby" guy who'd just been fired because of his 2-14 season.

And then won four division titles, took the worst quarterback ever to play to a playoff game AND WON A PLAYOFF GAME with him, and won an AFC Championship.

Your revisionist history is idiotic.

There's a reason Dennison has never been a head coach. Just like there's a reason the Goodmans never worked again. And it's not because they are better than what we have/had.

7DnBrnc53
01-24-2015, 07:13 AM
And then won four division titles, took the worst quarterback ever to play to a playoff game AND WON A PLAYOFF GAME with him, and won an AFC Championship.

There's a reason Dennison has never been a head coach. Just like there's a reason the Goodmans never worked again. And it's not because they are better than what we have/had.

Dude, 2011 was a fluke. It took miracle plays (like Marion Barber running out of bounds) and 60-yard field goals. And, you can give the credit to a Mr. Peyton Manning for the last three years. Fox rode Manning just like Reeves rode Elway.

TXBRONC
01-24-2015, 09:05 AM
I don't recall anyone saying that Dennison blew them away however, Elway in his press conference on the "mutual parting of ways" said Fox provided stability in the locker room. Elway also seemed to indicate that's reasons that went with a veteran head coach over one who had never been a head coach before. Yes there are reasons why Dennison hasn't had a head coaching position but I'm sure there isn't anyone here who knows exactly why that is.

Joel
01-24-2015, 10:54 AM
I don't recall anyone saying that Dennison blew them away however, Elway in his press conference on the "mutual parting of ways" said Fox provided stability in the locker room. Elway also seemed to indicate that's reasons that went with a veteran head coach over one who had never been a head coach before. Yes there are reasons why Dennison hasn't had a head coaching position but I'm sure there isn't anyone here who knows exactly why that is.
Legwold said in the ESPN video that Dennison "aced his interview" (direct quote.) That suggests the issue was lack of head coaching experience. Fox may have brought something stable, but so does a hearse.

Ravage!!!
01-24-2015, 11:33 AM
Dude, 2011 was a fluke. It took miracle plays (like Marion Barber running out of bounds) and 60-yard field goals. And, you can give the credit to a Mr. Peyton Manning for the last three years. Fox rode Manning just like Reeves rode Elway.

At the same time, you are taking away (or attempting, and doing it poorly) the good coaching it takes to get success in the NFL. Dungy had how many years with Manning, and how many Super Bowls did he take him to?

Don't use this "ride his jock" thing too hard, considering you can say the same thing about every coach that has had a great QB. Btw, how was that "Riding the jock" reasoning work when he took Delhomme to the Super Bowl?

Lets give Fox the credit he deserves and EARNED as the Broncos HC.

Ravage!!!
01-24-2015, 11:34 AM
Legwold said in the ESPN video that Dennison "aced his interview" (direct quote.) That suggests the issue was lack of head coaching experience. Fox may have brought something stable, but so does a hearse.

So taking a quote from a third party that wasn't even in the room, and a writer that likes to use dramatic words for effect, as your source that he "blew the Broncos away??" Seriously Joel? I mean, you have stretched a LOT of things before, but this is just kinda silly.

Joel
01-24-2015, 12:01 PM
At the same time, you are taking away (or attempting, and doing it poorly) the good coaching it takes to get success in the NFL. Dungy had how many years with Manning, and how many Super Bowls did he take him to?

Don't use this "ride his jock" thing too hard, considering you can say the same thing about every coach that has had a great QB. Btw, how was that "Riding the jock" reasoning work when he took Delhomme to the Super Bowl?

Lets give Fox the credit he deserves and EARNED as the Broncos HC.
THREE head coaches have ridden Manning to a SB; how much credit does Fox deserve for being just one of them? When he had a FAR more talented defense (ranked #3 overall this year, much good it did)?

So taking a quote from a third party that wasn't even in the room, and a writer that likes to use dramatic words for effect, as your source that he "blew the Broncos away??" Seriously Joel? I mean, you have stretched a LOT of things before, but this is just kinda silly.
*shrugs* Take it up with Legwold; I'm just repeating what he said on ESPN.

TXBRONC
01-24-2015, 12:21 PM

He wasn't hired as the head coach so say he aced is ridiculous. I certainly don't kick dirt on Dennison the guy has gotten a lot criticism thrown at him without any facts to back it up.

Ravage!!!
01-24-2015, 12:47 PM
THREE head coaches have ridden Manning to a SB; how much credit does Fox deserve for being just one of them? When he had a FAR more talented defense (ranked #3 overall this year, much good it did)?

Dungy, Caldwell, and Fox. How many Super Bowls has those other two coaches taken a "Delhomme" to the Super Bowl? How many won a play off game with a "Tebow" behind center? Fox did a great job while in Denver, and while you believe your 'coaching and GM' observations have merit.....I don't.

As far as your complaints... how many top defenses have NOT made it to the Super Bowl. Quit trying to make it sound like its EASY to get the the Super Bowl.

Ravage!!!
01-24-2015, 12:49 PM
*shrugs* Take it up with Legwold; I'm just repeating what he said on ESPN.

Actually, no. You said he "blew the Broncos away." That's not a direct quote, that is an interpretation from what a reporter said. Which is why its pretty silly to make judgements based on that wording. *shrug*

Joel
01-24-2015, 01:35 PM
Dungy, Caldwell, and Fox. How many Super Bowls has those other two coaches taken a "Delhomme" to the Super Bowl? How many won a play off game with a "Tebow" behind center?
Fox didn't get Delhomme to the SB nor Tebow to the divisional round: THREE reqular season OT wins and a FOURTH in the playoffs did. Winning 4 straight coin tosses on 2 separate occasions is LUCK, not skill.

Fox did a great job while in Denver, and while you believe your 'coaching and GM' observations have merit.....I don't.
This ain't about me, you or how we feel about each other; if you want to speak of an arguments MERITS rather than author, it's past time to START.

As far as your complaints... how many top defenses have NOT made it to the Super Bowl. Quit trying to make it sound like its EASY to get the the Super Bowl.
How many top defenses with a first ballot HoFer at QB, Pro Bowlers at literally ALL OTHER OFFENSIVE SKILL POSITIONS and TWO All Pro linemen have missed the SB—gone ONE-AND-DONE? I'm guessing one.

Joel
01-24-2015, 01:36 PM
Actually, no. You said he "blew the Broncos away." That's not a direct quote, that is an interpretation from what a reporter said. Which is why its pretty silly to make judgements based on that wording. *shrug*
"Aced" vs. "blew away" is a slim difference, if any. Again, take it up with Legwold.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-24-2015, 01:48 PM
Fox didn't get Delhomme to the SB nor Tebow to the divisional round: THREE reqular season OT wins and a FOURTH in the playoffs did. Winning 4 straight coin tosses on 2 separate occasions is LUCK, not skill.

This ain't about me, you or how we feel about each other; if you want to speak of an arguments MERITS rather than author, it's past time to START.

How many top defenses with a first ballot HoFer at QB, Pro Bowlers at literally ALL OTHER OFFENSIVE SKILL POSITIONS and TWO All Pro linemen have missed the SB—gone ONE-AND-DONE? I'm guessing one.

Warren Moon and the Houston Oilers pulled a similar feet. :D

Ravage!!!
01-24-2015, 01:55 PM
"Aced" vs. "blew away" is a slim difference, if any. Again, take it up with Legwold.

It's actually a VERY big difference. I'm surprised you can't see that. But then, since you are the one that chooses to exaggerate a simple statement to something exorbitant, I guess I'm not really shocked that you are trying to say that there is no difference.

Ravage!!!
01-24-2015, 02:03 PM

Every team has LUCK going their way when getting to the Super Bowl. Every team that's been there has had it, and HAD to have it. Sure there was luck involved, I was the leader screaming it out as it was happening because Tebow was a horrendous QB. Considering how aweful the QB was, it took a damn fine job of coaching to keep us in those games so taht Tebow could only play 2 minutes worth of good.

Wait.. nearly "all other offensive positions"..really? REALLY? :lol:

You want me to mention the rosters Manning had in Indy and come back to this same conversation? That's just one team offf the top of my head. I can think of several Dallas teams in the past. I can think of the San FRan teams in the past (ask Steve Young about those criticisms). I know there are first ballot HoFers playing QB in the league right now.... are all of them going to the Super Bowl every year?

Seriously Joel... so many times you allowr your belief you are so much smarter than the coaches (those that actually know football) that you leave yourself blind to so many obvious things.

MOtorboat
01-24-2015, 02:19 PM
Flip flop spambot.

Ravage!!!
01-24-2015, 02:26 PM
Not to mention, you have been Rah Rah'ing the hire of Kubiak who had a TON of talent at Houston, with an OUTSTANDING defense (with the best player in football on his defensive line)... and Fox won as many playoff games with TEBOW as the QB. Seems that you just can't seem to keep a consistant argument on this.

Joel
01-24-2015, 02:29 PM
Warren Moon and the Houston Oilers pulled a similar feet. :D
Moons Oilers didn't have a top D, nor a Pro Bowl RB (Mike Rozier? Allen Pinkett? Lorenzo White?)

MOtorboat
01-24-2015, 02:36 PM
Moons Oilers didn't have a top D, nor a Pro Bowl RB (Mike Rozier? Allen Pinkett? Lorenzo White?)

Mike Rozier was a two-time pro bowler. Lorenzo White went to a Pro Bowl.

7DnBrnc53
01-24-2015, 02:42 PM
Dungy, Caldwell, and Fox. How many Super Bowls has those other two coaches taken a "Delhomme" to the Super Bowl? How many won a play off game with a "Tebow" behind center? Fox did a great job while in Denver, and while you believe your 'coaching and GM' observations have merit.....I don't.

Fox started Rodney Peete in Week 1 of the 03 season after signing Jake Delhomme:

http://scores.espn.go.com/nfl/recap?gameId=230907029

After they fell behind, Jake had to bring them behind to win against the Jaguars, and they needed a blocked extra point to beat the Bucs in Week 2. If they lose both of those games, maybe they don't have the magical run to the SB, and Fox may not have lasted as long in Carolina.

Also, the Broncos were 8-8 in 2011. They won a bad division. They needed miracles to beat the Dolphins and Bears. They probably should have been 6-10 or worse. That is nothing to pat Fox on the back about.

Joel
01-24-2015, 02:43 PM
It's actually a VERY big difference. I'm surprised you can't see that. But then, since you are the one that chooses to exaggerate a simple statement to something exorbitant, I guess I'm not really shocked that you are trying to say that there is no difference.
Fine: Dennison "only" aced his HC interview in Denver, nothing "more."

Every team has LUCK going their way when getting to the Super Bowl. Every team that's been there has had it, and HAD to have it. Sure there was luck involved, I was the leader screaming it out as it was happening because Tebow was a horrendous QB. Considering how aweful the QB was, it took a damn fine job of coaching to keep us in those games so taht Tebow could only play 2 minutes worth of good.
Going 4-0 in COIN TOSSES 2 different seasons doesn't just "involve" luck: It's PURE luck. And speaking of awful QBs, What happened when Fox "got" Delhomme to the SB? The Pats beat them soundly 3 solid quarters before started the 4th with a TD drive to lead 21-10—then Tebow Time started as Fox finally stopped trying to run through a wall and let Delhomme unleash the deep ball and a 19 pt 4th qtr to come back from 11 down and lead by 3, only to lose by a FG because he couldn't be bothered to try winning the game in first three quarters. We played the whole 2011 season like that; maybe our luck's BAD.

Wait.. nearly "all other offensive positions"..really? REALLY? :lol:
No, LITERALLY all other offensive SKILL positions; pay attention: Welker's a past Pro Bowler, Sanders made his first, DT and JT are skipping this years due to injury, and Anderson just got promoted due to injury. So literally ALL our offensive skill positions are Pro Bowlers, plus our LT and RG are former All Pros and we had the #3 overall D—but we couldn't even win ONE playoff game at HOME off a BYE against a team that had to play an extra game just to get there?

A team we BEAT during the season, btw, just as we we thrashed Baltimore on the road in 2012 but went one-and-done at home against them just a month later.

You want me to mention the rosters Manning had in Indy and come back to this same conversation? That's just one team offf the top of my head. I can think of several Dallas teams in the past. I can think of the San FRan teams in the past (ask Steve Young about those criticisms). I know there are first ballot HoFers playing QB in the league right now.... are all of them going to the Super Bowl every year?
Alright: Go look up all Indys #3 Ds with Manning; I'll wait. Sure, there were 3 straight seasons Dallas and SF kept each other out of the SB when the NFCCG WAS the SB, but we didn't even REACH a Conference Championship in 2012 or 2014: One-and-done, with a league-high ELEVEN Pro Bowlers. Fox is gone for a reason: His luck ran out, just as in Carolina.

Seriously Joel... so many times you allowr your belief you are so much smarter than the coaches (those that actually know football) that you leave yourself blind to so many obvious things.
Fox is so smart he quit on a playoff game and the NFLs best roster in at least a decade because he didn't want to miss his chance to coach a TEAM of quitters in Chicago.

Not to mention, you have been Rah Rah'ing the hire of Kubiak who had a TON of talent at Houston, with an OUTSTANDING defense (with the best player in football on his defensive line)... and Fox won as many playoff games with TEBOW as the QB. Seems that you just can't seem to keep a consistant argument on this.
Fox won DESPITE Delhomme and Tebows 4th qtr heroics, but Matt "Pick-Six Record Holder" Schaub lost BECAUSE of Kubiak? There's some inconsistency there, alright.... ;)

MOtorboat
01-24-2015, 02:45 PM
Joel...how can a team have the most talented roster in the NFL and rely on the quarterback to do it alone?

Because you've tried to make both arguments in the last month.

Joel
01-24-2015, 02:52 PM
Mike Rozier was a two-time pro bowler. Lorenzo White went to a Pro Bowl.
Alright, I stand corrected then, even if I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how that happened. But Houston only had a #3 overall D ONCE in that whole 7 year span (the year of The Comeback.) Maybe Bud Adams thought that was a SB roster, but no one else did. Don't sit here pretending the 2012-2014 Broncos are on the same level as the 1986-1993 Oilers; that's absurd to anyone familiar with either team, and just embarrassing to someone deeply familiar with BOTH.

Joel
01-24-2015, 02:55 PM
Joel...how can a team have the most talented roster in the NFL and rely on the quarterback to do it alone?

Because you've tried to make both arguments in the last month.
Because a QB flat on his back can't get the ball to a Pro Bowl receiver no matter HOW many he has, just as expecting a Pro Bowl RB to break 3 tackles just to reach the LINE, and a 4th to convert 4th and 1, is asking WAY too much. Ask Fox why we loaded up everywhere EXCEPT the line (not like it's important or anything, right?) The folks insisting Fox is a great coach because he won a playoff game with a crappy QB like Tebow turn around and say not EVEN winning a playoff game with a first ballot HoFer doesn't prove anything? Then criticize others for "inconsistency"? Physician, heal thyself.

*shrugs* If folks wanna believe Fox is a great coach and there's some other reason the best roster in a decade or more only managed a playoff win ONCE in THREE seasons, fine, but don't try to convince Elway.

MOtorboat
01-24-2015, 03:04 PM
Joel, can you explain to me how the least-sacked quarterback is always throwing from his back?

MOtorboat
01-24-2015, 03:06 PM
Alright, I stand corrected then, even if I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how that happened. But Houston only had a #3 overall D ONCE in that whole 7 year span (the year of The Comeback.) Maybe Bud Adams thought that was a SB roster, but no one else did. Don't sit here pretending the 2012-2014 Broncos are on the same level as the 1986-1993 Oilers; that's absurd to anyone familiar with either team, and just embarrassing to someone deeply familiar with BOTH.

Only because it doesn't suit your particular argument this time.

Joel
01-24-2015, 03:17 PM
Joel, can you explain to me how the least-sacked quarterback is always throwing from his back?
Thanks to his quick reads and releases, he's not, but he IS throwing on the run a LOT more than a statue like Manning wants, an we're waiting to see if the torn quad that crippled him the whole last month of the season knits well enough fast enough for him to play another season. Just like he's needed a day off from practice every week since the middle of last year, when he won the game but finished with BOTH ankles taped and played most of the rest of the season that way. He was the NFLs least-sacked QB the whole time he was in Indy, too; his line still got his SPINE snapped.

Maybe YOU can explain why our GREAT COACHES shuffled our GREAT LINE incessantly from before the season started until just a couple weeks before it ended without any lasting improvement. One or both "great" parts of that equation... aren't.

MOtorboat
01-24-2015, 03:54 PM
Thanks to his quick reads and releases, he's not, but he IS throwing on the run a LOT more than a statue like Manning wants, an we're waiting to see if the torn quad that crippled him the whole last month of the season knits well enough fast enough for him to play another season. Just like he's needed a day off from practice every week since the middle of last year, when he won the game but finished with BOTH ankles taped and played most of the rest of the season that way. He was the NFLs least-sacked QB the whole time he was in Indy, too; his line still got his SPINE snapped.

Maybe YOU can explain why our GREAT COACHES shuffled our GREAT LINE incessantly from before the season started until just a couple weeks before it ended without any lasting improvement. One or both "great" parts of that equation... aren't.

I can't explain why the coaches did what you wanted them to do.

Joel
01-24-2015, 04:17 PM
I can't explain why the coaches did what you wanted them to do.
They spent top draft picks on linemen in a draft thick with good ones and/or paid top dollar for linemen in a draft pool thick with good ones? We're talking about our LAST coaching staff, not the NEXT one. Still ain't about me, you or how we feel about each other: Great coaches don't shuffle great linemen for bad performance, only to WORSEN that performance with virtually every move. THEY did that, not I.

chazoe60
01-24-2015, 04:23 PM
Well this thread went to shit.

TXBRONC
01-24-2015, 04:59 PM

Would you like some of my popcorn? :pop2:

Cugel
01-25-2015, 02:09 AM

It certainly doesn't take rocket science to figure out why the Broncos hired Fox rather than Dennison.

Who had the Broncos just fired? A coach who excelled at being an offensive coordinator, but a guy who had zero head coaching experience. And what was the result? Total and complete freaking disaster.

McMoron wasn't ready and he utterly screwed the pooch from day 1 and drove the team totally into the ground. Were they then going to go out and hire another guy with a "boom or bust" potential? Or would they go with the known commodity - the guy who might not be a that smart, but is calm and stable, and would never even imagine spying on the other team or something like that.

In short, Fox was the "grown up" they needed to come in and settle things down and get them going in the right direction.

But, there's a reason Fox will never win a Super Bowl. He gets outcoached by all the great coaches, and even some not so great ones.

Cugel
01-25-2015, 02:14 AM
They spent top draft picks on linemen in a draft thick with good ones and/or paid top dollar for linemen in a draft pool thick with good ones? We're talking about our LAST coaching staff, not the NEXT one. Still ain't about me, you or how we feel about each other: Great coaches don't shuffle great linemen for bad performance, only to WORSEN that performance with virtually every move. THEY did that, not I.

There's not even an argument that the Broncos did the following:

#1 - Failed to address the problem at RT during the off-season.

#2 - Shuffled the OL and expected great things out of Chris Clark - a career backup.

#3 - Shuffled the OL again when that didn't work.

#4 - Finally moved their pro-bowl G Louis Vasquez out to RT to patch a hole at RT. They were then left with 3 problem areas at OL instead of one.

This contributed to Peyton's injury and that contributed to the Broncos playoff loss.

That band of idiots couldn't leave town quick enough. In fact they all had new coaching jobs lined up before the playoffs even began!

7DnBrnc53
01-25-2015, 08:30 AM
It certainly doesn't take rocket science to figure out why the Broncos hired Fox rather than Dennison.

Who had the Broncos just fired? A coach who excelled at being an offensive coordinator, but a guy who had zero head coaching experience. And what was the result? Total and complete freaking disaster.

McMoron wasn't ready and he utterly screwed the pooch from day 1 and drove the team totally into the ground. Were they then going to go out and hire another guy with a "boom or bust" potential? Or would they go with the known commodity - the guy who might not be a that smart, but is calm and stable, and would never even imagine spying on the other team or something like that.

In short, Fox was the "grown up" they needed to come in and settle things down and get them going in the right direction.

But, there's a reason Fox will never win a Super Bowl. He gets outcoached by all the great coaches, and even some not so great ones.

Good points. However, as I said before, Fox was the right hire four years ago (since the Kube wasn't available), but that changed when #18 arrived, and the expectations went sky high. John should have been fired after the Ravens loss because it was clear that he wasn't the guy to help Denver meet those expectations.

TXBRONC
01-25-2015, 09:25 AM

I doubt that Dennison being an offensive coordinator had any bearing on him not being hired.

BroncoJoe
01-25-2015, 09:42 AM

Seriously. IF everyone would just ignore Joek he'd eventually stop posting here.

Cugel
01-26-2015, 11:55 AM
I doubt that Dennison being an offensive coordinator had any bearing on him not being hired.

Sure it did. The last thing the team needed was to hire a guy with no previous head coaching experience. That's always a risk because of the Peter Principle: that in any large organization a person who performs well at one level tends to rise - until he reaches the level of his incompetence.

Hence Wade Phillips makes a good defensive coordinator wherever he's gone, but a crappy head coach. There are examples too numerous to mention. Having just done that in hiring McMoron, Elway wasn't going to risk it again.

So, he did the safe thing and hired a head coach with lots of previous experience and a proven track record. And it worked. He got the team turned around and headed in the right direction.

But then he stalled out and couldn't produce in the playoffs. The Ravens loss should have been the tip off, and certainly Fox shouldn't have survived the Super Bowl blowout!

EastCoastBronco
01-26-2015, 12:14 PM

Why you gotta be so mean, MO?
I don't give much of the credit for the success of the last 4 years to Foxy, that's for sure.
I'm still a major subscriber to the theory that we won in spite of the jolly old fella...

TXBRONC
01-26-2015, 12:33 PM
Sure it did. The last thing the team needed was to hire a guy with no previous head coaching experience. That's always a risk because of the Peter Principle: that in any large organization a person who performs well at one level tends to rise - until he reaches the level of his incompetence.

Hence Wade Phillips makes a good defensive coordinator wherever he's gone, but a crappy head coach. There are examples too numerous to mention. Having just done that in hiring McMoron, Elway wasn't going to risk it again.

So, he did the safe thing and hired a head coach with lots of previous experience and a proven track record. And it worked. He got the team turned around and headed in the right direction.

But then he stalled out and couldn't produce in the playoffs. The Ravens loss should have been the tip off, and certainly Fox shouldn't have survived the Super Bowl blowout!

Inexperience is a separate issue from which side of ball he coaches on. Dennison being a offensive coordinator was not the reason he didn't get the job.

ChairmanBron
01-26-2015, 12:33 PM

Anybody noticed the irony of the article title "Rick Dennison hiring a stroke of genius by Broncos"
given that Kubes suffered a mini-stroke in Houston.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-texans/0ap2000000276825/Rapoport-Kubiak-suffered-a-mini-stroke

Simple Jaded
01-27-2015, 02:41 AM
Anybody noticed the irony of the article title "Rick Dennison hiring a stroke of genius by Broncos"
given that Kubes suffered a mini-stroke in Houston.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/houston-texans/0ap2000000276825/Rapoport-Kubiak-suffered-a-mini-stroke

Then shouldn't it say "Dennison hiring a MINI-stroke of genius"?