Mike Nolan
Jim Schwartz
Rocky Seto
Pepper Johnson
Mike Singletary
Vance Joseph
Raheem Morris
Mike Smith

This is the list of the top candidates that are available, being mentioned or have interviewed for positions with other teams.

Ravage!!!
01-21-2015, 06:25 PM
Romeo Crennel!

Lancane
01-21-2015, 06:52 PM
Romeo Crennel!

He's the Defensive Coordinator for the Texans Rav.

Joel
01-21-2015, 07:31 PM
Is Wade a realistic option? I'd LOVE to have him, but we fired him back when Kubiak AND Elway were just two of his players; that could be tense, even if Mr. Bowlen wants him back, which also isn't clear.

Lancane
01-21-2015, 08:20 PM
Is Wade a realistic option? I'd LOVE to have him, but we fired him back when Kubiak AND Elway were just two of his players; that could be tense, even if Mr. Bowlen wants him back, which also isn't clear.

Denver and Oakland have both been mentioned as possible suitors for Phillips, I think Oakland actually plans to interview him.

As for the other part, I think that his being in Houston with Kubiak is proof it could work.

Slick
01-21-2015, 08:25 PM
Lou and Rocky? Never heard of them.

There's some decent coaches on that list. The fact that they're taking their time is good considering how important the position is but I'm dying to know who it will be.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-21-2015, 08:28 PM
Mike Singletary

Lancane
01-21-2015, 08:32 PM
Lou and Rocky? Never heard of them.

There's some decent coaches on that list. The fact that they're taking their time is good considering how important the position is but I'm dying to know who it will be.

Lou Anarumo is the DB Coach for Miami, he was the DB Coach at Purdue before that but he was the Assistant Head Coach at Harvard and the DC at the Merchant Marine Academy. He's one of those no nonsense coaches that gets the best from his players, they may not love him but they'll respect him.

Rocky Seto is the DB Coach for Seattle and he was Carroll's DC at USC.

underrated29
01-21-2015, 08:33 PM
We know who I hope for

Lancane
01-21-2015, 08:35 PM
Mike Singletary

Mike Singletary would be a huge hire IMHO. Despite his eat nails, spit bullets attitude he knows players and how to get the most from them.

Rick
01-21-2015, 08:35 PM
May the Schwartz be with us.

Lancane
01-21-2015, 08:36 PM
We know who I hope for

Jim Schwartz is a good candidate, but thus far as I said before - we seem to not be looking or feels that way at least.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-21-2015, 08:39 PM
Mike Singletary would be a huge hire IMHO. Despite his eat nails, spit bullets attitude he knows players and how to get the most from them.

Yes he does, and one could argue he built the D in San Francisco. He's never had a problem coaching D. His downfall in SF was offense.

Slick
01-21-2015, 08:40 PM
Thanks Lancane.

They'll probably go with a guy they're familiar with. I think it will be Wade or possibly Joseph if the Bengals get tired of the bad press. I don't see Singletary or Schwartz wearing Bronco colors.

Simple Jaded
01-21-2015, 08:41 PM
Schwartz doesn't run a 3-4 or a multiple system, iirc he's strictly Wide 9, not sure Denver has enough DEs for that system. *cough*Greg Hardy*cough*

Lancane
01-21-2015, 08:44 PM
Thanks Lancane.

They'll probably go with a guy they're familiar with. I think it will be Wade or possibly Joseph if the Bengals get tired of the bad press. I don't see Singletary or Schwartz wearing Bronco colors.

No problem, just thought some posters would want to know who is out there. That said, Phillips or Nolan are the smart hires if they go familiarity and I'd be okay with Joseph...but if they tap Richard Smith, I might actually consider committing Seppuku, it would be less painful then suffering the humiliation that would follow.

Rick
01-21-2015, 10:14 PM
Not that I think he comes here, but here is a breakdown of the Schwartz wide 9. http://forgedinbuffalo.com/sports/breaking-jim-schwartz-wide-9-defense/

Simple Jaded
01-21-2015, 10:27 PM
Not that I think he comes here, but here is a breakdown of the Schwartz wide 9. http://forgedinbuffalo.com/sports/breaking-jim-schwartz-wide-9-defense/

Looks like Denver's players are a good fit, I was under the impression that both DEs played wide 9 technique.

Rick
01-21-2015, 10:47 PM
http://xfinitytv.comcast.net/watch/FOX-Sports-NFL/5177863236612196112/2169795422/Billick-101%3A-Wide-9/videos

dogfish
01-22-2015, 12:32 AM
cane, you missed rick smith and frank bush. . . :laugh:

G_Money
01-22-2015, 12:43 AM
:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: shut up dog...

:lol:

dogfish
01-22-2015, 01:32 AM
reh reh reh. . .

right now, i imagine G is making some pagan gesture to ward off the Evil Eye. . .

DenBronx
01-22-2015, 10:25 AM
What about Kris Richard DB coach or Travis Jones DL coach from Seattle? Seattle is the team that has the blueprint on how to stop Denver and many other good football teams. Id like to know how they came up with that. They have an amazing secodary and DL so maybe we need to look at one of these guys.

TXBRONC
01-22-2015, 10:40 AM
Well see what happens. Nolan and Phillips would be a good hires but I'm open to other possibilities.

Rick
01-22-2015, 11:10 AM
I know they said they were holding onto hope on VJ but were moving on to other options, but the complete silence makes me think they are really just waiting longer on VJ. Maybe they are talking to other possible candidates down at the Senior Bowl, but it is just surprising we have heard nothing else.

turftoad
01-22-2015, 11:15 AM
Well see what happens. Nolan and Phillips would be a good hires but I'm open to other possibilities.

Me too. I just want someone who is aggressive.

Lancane
01-22-2015, 01:31 PM
What about Kris Richard DB coach or Travis Jones DL coach from Seattle? Seattle is the team that has the blueprint on how to stop Denver and many other good football teams. Id like to know how they came up with that. They have an amazing secodary and DL so maybe we need to look at one of these guys.

Rocky Seto is the DB Coach or Defensive Passing Game Coordinator for Seattle and was Carroll's DC at USC, he is a name being mentioned as a possible DC to replace Quinn or maybe to go with Quinn to Atlanta. Kris Richard is the Secondary Coach, but has far less to do with the success in Seattle compared to Seto who is one of the hot up and coming coaches in the NFL. Travis Jones has a little bit of a hiccup when it comes to him, he was part of the defensive staff in New Orleans when all hell broke over the Headhunting for Bonus Allegations.

Outside Seto, Ken Norton Jr. who was LB Coach as USC under Carroll then the Assistant Head Coach of Defense, now LB Coach in Seattle might be worth a look.

Lancane
01-22-2015, 01:42 PM
I know they said they were holding onto hope on VJ but were moving on to other options, but the complete silence makes me think they are really just waiting longer on VJ. Maybe they are talking to other possible candidates down at the Senior Bowl, but it is just surprising we have heard nothing else.

That is the part that bothers me as well. It really feels like they are being lax, all but NE and Seattle are done, there are tons of candidates and yet they are doing nothing. I know people are like "Well, I don't believe that...Elway and Kubiak are making the rounds and phone calls". Problem is that if Denver has reached out, between the two staffs would be some sort of leak, period. Hell, turning down a request to speak to someone makes news but not the search? Even if the Coach in question was not currently under contract, leaking the info himself is not uncommon, and you'd think Denver would want the search to be more open since some are questioning Elway's process in finding a Head Coach. This feels almost Shanahanish.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-22-2015, 01:46 PM
Everyone was panicked because of the apparent lack of activity prior to Kubes being hired. I think with Elway's history of hiring Dennis Allen and Jack Del Rio it's safe to assume Elway will work on finding the best available candidate.

Relax peeps. We have no idea what calls have or haven't been made.

VonDoom
01-22-2015, 02:07 PM
That is the part that bothers me as well. It really feels like they are being lax, all but NE and Seattle are done, there are tons of candidates and yet they are doing nothing. I know people are like "Well, I don't believe that...Elway and Kubiak are making the rounds and phone calls". Problem is that if Denver has reached out, between the two staffs would be some sort of leak, period. Hell, turning down a request to speak to someone makes news but not the search? Even if the Coach in question was not currently under contract, leaking the info himself is not uncommon, and you'd think Denver would want the search to be more open since some are questioning Elway's process in finding a Head Coach. This feels almost Shanahanish.

This is an interesting point. During the HC "search", any candidate that we were scheduled to interview was mentioned by the team's media. Even when guys cancelled, that was talked about. There just hasn't been any information out there on the DC candidates. So they're either not doing anything or not being as transparent as they had been with the HC candidates.

Lancane
01-22-2015, 02:22 PM
Everyone was panicked because of the apparent lack of activity prior to Kubes being hired. I think with Elway's history of hiring Dennis Allen and Jack Del Rio it's safe to assume Elway will work on finding the best available candidate.

Relax peeps. We have no idea what calls have or haven't been made.

Al, as I pointed out that this is not a silent league like it was back before the 90's as multimedia and internet have become paramount. Allen and Del Rio were not closeted candidates, there was much in the way in the news both national and local pointing to those moves. And in the end Al, how many candidates did Elway interview for the HC job? The same media had all but guaranteed that Kubiak was the next head coach and caused two candidates to drop out of talks till Denver talked to Kubiak and then boom. Not that I am against the Kubiak hire, but I am also smart enough to see the writing on the wall. Elway learned from Reeves and Shanahan, both known for hiring within familiarity, same with Bowlen himself. Kubiak learned from the same people, you have to remember that Fox had a lot of say in what happened with the Coaching Staff. Mason has already reported that Elway and the Player Personnel Staff are at the Senior Bowl while Kubiak is in Denver working on putting his staff together, but he even doesn't have an idea what is happening in regards to the defensive side of the ball.

And as I pointed out above, there is no way in hell that a DC search would be completely quiet on both ends, hell McDaniels calls about trading quarterbacks could not even be kept quiet cause the teams interested could not keep their mouths shut or staff leaked the info - we'd have heard something, even if it was to simply sit and talk as Elway did with Gase the night or two before his interview.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-22-2015, 04:22 PM
Al, as I pointed out that this is not a silent league like it was back before the 90's as multimedia and internet have become paramount. Allen and Del Rio were not closeted candidates, there was much in the way in the news both national and local pointing to those moves. And in the end Al, how many candidates did Elway interview for the HC job? The same media had all but guaranteed that Kubiak was the next head coach and caused two candidates to drop out of talks till Denver talked to Kubiak and then boom. Not that I am against the Kubiak hire, but I am also smart enough to see the writing on the wall. Elway learned from Reeves and Shanahan, both known for hiring within familiarity, same with Bowlen himself. Kubiak learned from the same people, you have to remember that Fox had a lot of say in what happened with the Coaching Staff. Mason has already reported that Elway and the Player Personnel Staff are at the Senior Bowl while Kubiak is in Denver working on putting his staff together, but he even doesn't have an idea what is happening in regards to the defensive side of the ball.

And as I pointed out above, there is no way in hell that a DC search would be completely quiet on both ends, hell McDaniels calls about trading quarterbacks could not even be kept quiet cause the teams interested could not keep their mouths shut or staff leaked the info - we'd have heard something, even if it was to simply sit and talk as Elway did with Gase the night or two before his interview.

Well, I suppose there may be an element of re-grouping going on. I suspected that the young secondary coach was who Kubes wanted as the DC, which is why we really brought him in for an interview. I suppose they're still trying to figure out what to do now that it has fallen through as an option, but I'm not ready to panic. I think for the last 5 years Elway has shown an ability to make very good decisions when hiring coaches.

VonDoom
01-22-2015, 04:46 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 4m4 minutes ago

RT @RSH089: Any word on defensive coordinator prospects? ——> I don’t think they’ve given up hope on Vance Joseph. Negotiable.

Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 2m2 minutes ago

RT @Vandal15: can't they trade for him, send some cash for Vance?—>>everything is negotiable, except my affection.

Hardwired
01-22-2015, 04:50 PM
Jeff Legwold 2 minutes ago

Buzz at Senior Bowl is #Broncos are talking to Wade Phillips as defensive coordinator candidate.

Lancane
01-22-2015, 04:53 PM
Well, I suppose there may be an element of re-grouping going on. I suspected that the young secondary coach was who Kubes wanted as the DC, which is why we really brought him in for an interview. I suppose they're still trying to figure out what to do now that it has fallen through as an option, but I'm not ready to panic. I think for the last 5 years Elway has shown an ability to make very good decisions when hiring coaches.

I'm not panicking, not even close. Just disappointed in what I am seeing and hearing. I agree with you regarding the Joseph interview, the bad thing is that also means that Elway's Head Coaching search was even more questionable and that despite the whole asking permission from Baltimore that Kubiak and Elway spoke prior to an interview which gives credence to the theorists that Elway was short sighted and locked on to one candidate from the beginning.

tripp
01-22-2015, 04:55 PM
Vic Lombardi ‏@VicLombardi 4m4 minutes ago

RT @Vandal15: can't they trade for him, send some cash for Vance?—>>everything is negotiable, except my affection.

God I love Vic.

Lancane
01-22-2015, 04:57 PM
Jeff Legwold 2 minutes ago

Buzz at Senior Bowl is #Broncos are talking to Wade Phillips as defensive coordinator candidate.

And this proves my point, you can not even take a piss in this league without the media finding out.

VonDoom
01-22-2015, 04:57 PM
I'm not panicking, not even close. Just disappointed in what I am seeing and hearing. I agree with you regarding the Joseph interview, the bad thing is that also means that Elway's Head Coaching search was even more questionable and that despite the whole asking permission from Baltimore that Kubiak and Elway spoke prior to an interview which gives credence to the theorists that Elway was short sighted and locked on to one candidate from the beginning.

I think there's no question at this point that Elway had Kubiak in mind from day one. Joseph fulfilled the Rooney Rule, Gase was interviewed as a token, and no one else actually made it to their interview.

Slick
01-22-2015, 05:02 PM
I think they really wanted Joseph. Wade doesn't get me excited but it is understandable they go with someone they're familiar with.

I never thought a guy like Fangio, or Schwartz or Singletary stood a chance.

I learned my lesson long, long ago not to get my hopes up for a specific guy to come to Denver. Be it free agency, the draft or coaches. it just never happens.

Lancane
01-22-2015, 05:05 PM
Del Rio wanted to interview Phillips for the Raiders DC Position, he also wanted to interview DeCamillis for their STC Position who signed with the Broncos. Not relevant but sort of ironic.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-22-2015, 05:10 PM

Maybe so, the rumor is that Elway has wanted Kubiak since he took over football operations. I don't know if I see it as a bad thing though. He got the guy he wanted.

TXBRONC
01-22-2015, 05:11 PM
Del Rio wanted to interview Phillips for the Raiders DC Position, he also wanted to interview DeCamillis for their STC Position who signed with the Broncos. Not relevant but sort of ironic.

Going with Philips would mean changing defensive schemes. I'm not saying that would be a bad thing but I don't think we have all the right pieces and maybe the most important piece would be the nose tackle and Denver's nose tackle is soon to be a free agent.

Slick
01-22-2015, 05:17 PM
Going with Philips would mean changing defensive schemes. I'm not saying that would be a bad thing but I don't think we have all the right pieces and maybe the most important piece would be the nose tackle and Denver's nose tackle is soon to be a free agent.

I imagine if they sign a 3-4 guy he'll be lobbying hard core for Denver to get a deal done with Pot Roast. Kind of obvious, I know.

Lancane
01-22-2015, 05:17 PM

Terrance Knighton could end up leap frogging Demaryius Thomas and Julius Thomas as Denver's top priority if they plan to switch to the 3-4.

TXBRONC
01-22-2015, 05:20 PM
I imagine if they sign a 3-4 guy he'll be lobbying hard core for Denver to get a deal done with Pot Roast. Kind of obvious, I know.

Yes obviously they would have to and even Denver went with someone who is preference is a 4-3 I would think they would want Knighton back.

Rick
01-22-2015, 05:22 PM
About damn time to hear something. I am not as panicky about if they hire someone fast, just wanted to hear who they were considering, to get a feel for schemes.

Slick
01-22-2015, 05:22 PM
Yes obviously they would have to and even Denver went with someone who is preference is a 4-3 I would think they would want Knighton back.

True. Any DC is going to say, "Hey, I need that guy if you expect me to field a great defense."

TXBRONC
01-22-2015, 05:23 PM
Terrance Knighton could end up leap frogging Demaryius Thomas and Julius Thomas as Denver's top priority if they plan to switch to the 3-4.

Thought already occurred to me at the same time I think Julius Thomas becomes more expendable if Denver goes with someone like Philips or Nolan.

Valar Morghulis
01-22-2015, 05:26 PM
I am all in on Scwartz - but since we are having a big reunion - fuk it, why not philips too

Lancane
01-22-2015, 05:26 PM
Thought already occurred to me at the same time I think Julius Thomas becomes more expendable if Denver goes with someone like Philips or Nolan.

Actually the moment that we hired Kubiak I think Julius Thomas became expendable because he not best suited for the WCO.

turftoad
01-22-2015, 05:33 PM
Actually the moment that we hired Kubiak I think Julius Thomas became expendable because he not best suited for the WCO.

Shannon Sharpe was not a great blocker by any means but did fairly well in the WCO.

Lancane
01-22-2015, 05:36 PM
Shannon Sharpe was not a great blocker by any means but did fairly well in the WCO.

Shannon Sharpe was what, a seventh round pick and there were questions about his speed and blocking ability coming to the NFL. But Sharpe came in with a chip on his shoulder wanting to prove everyone wrong, Thomas is more of a finesse tight end and diva compared to Sharpe, and Thomas is horrid at blocking...far worse then Sharpe was as a rookie.

TXBRONC
01-22-2015, 05:37 PM

True but Sharpe wasn't a pending free agent at the time either.

Joel
01-22-2015, 05:52 PM
For the sake of argument (an argument he may not buy,) others have noted Phillips may have his heart set on another HC job, but after being fired from several (including Houstons interim spot after Kubiak left) another highly successful DC spot could well be a necessary first step.

I'm more concerned about rebuilding bridges after Mr. Bowlen fired him and smoothing the relationship between the former Broncos HC and the HoF QB from that team who'd be his boss' boss now. Kubiak was never a #1 overall pick who demanded and got a trade to the team where he became the very franchise, so that role reversal was easier in Houston. It might not work in Denver for the same reason Kubiak as HC is a FAR more promising scenario than Shanny running the exact same team the exact same way.

Ziggy
01-22-2015, 06:02 PM

Joseph is a 3-4 guy as well. He learned under Phillips and Nolan. The only year he has been involved with a 4-3 was this last season with Cinci.

Rick
01-22-2015, 06:09 PM
A little more on the Phillips rumor.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12213219/denver-broncos-reach-wade-phillips

Joel
01-22-2015, 06:11 PM
There's no law that says we can't re-sign Knighton, in which case we'd have all the RIGHT pieces for a 3-4:

NT: Huge and powerful, an impenetrable wall against runs up the gut, a pocket-collapsing avalanche vs. the pass and constantly demanding double teams vs. either. That role's so physically demanding it requires a solid substitute, but Austin seems up to the job. Failing that, Vickerson convalesced well enough to play 15 games this year, but KC only gave him a one year deal, so he could return and split time with Knighton in a dominant 3-4 NT rotation.

DE: Wolfe and Jackson are both excellent run stuffers and decent pass rushers precisely because they have the size, strength, speed and agility to be excellent 3-4 DEs, and Williams shifting from a 4-3 UT role to 3-4 DE would be a relatively slight change as well. It's not far from the role those guys already play in our nickel set, when Von Miller is essentially a 3-4 OLB with his hand in the dirt.

OLB: Millers played 3-4 OLB most of his college career, at such an elite level it made him #2 overall pick on a 4-3 team despite most draftnicks projecting him as the next All Pro OLB on someones 3-4. And since DeMarcus Ware spent many All Pro years playing OLB in Phillips' Dallas 3-4 it's almost inevitable he'd do the same in a Phillips Denver D. The only real question is how much we'd ask our OLBs to cover, because that could affect how well suited Quanterus Smith is for our 3rd OLB; if he can cover, or we can get away with him being JUST a pass rusher and adequate run stopper, we're set again.

ILB: Trevathan and Marshall have the elite coverage skills 3-4 ILBs need (especially if the OLBs play the run and rush the QB almost exclusively) and Irving looked much improved at it as our MLB before he went down; yet again, no worries.

We're arguably BETTER suited to a 3-4 than 3-4, because we have the stud NT and OLBs 3-4s need, but lack the 4-3s stud MLB and have our second elite pass rusher at OLB rather than DE.

Buzz means little in itself, but the buzz we were all over Kubes even after he said he wasn't leaving Baltimore, and it turned out his ties to Denver are so many and fond we had only to ask. I'm not sure Wades Denver memories are equally rosy, but even rumors we're talking to him is very encouraging to me. He and Kubes would've won a championship in Houston with even a DECENT QB; what if they get this stacked roster that includes PFM? The only thing OUR championship's missing is a solid line, and we all know that'll be the first thing Kubes and Denny address Day One.

Joel
01-22-2015, 06:14 PM
I think they really wanted Joseph. Wade doesn't get me excited but it is understandable they go with someone they're familiar with.

I never thought a guy like Fangio, or Schwartz or Singletary stood a chance.

I learned my lesson long, long ago not to get my hopes up for a specific guy to come to Denver. Be it free agency, the draft or coaches. it just never happens.
MAN, do I hear that, but so far... gee, I really wish John Elway would call up and offer me $10 million plus one of his SB Rings, but here's 15 reasons we all know THAT'LL never happen.... :tongue:

TXBRONC
01-22-2015, 06:18 PM
There's no law that says we can't re-sign Knighton, in which case we'd have all the RIGHT pieces for a 3-4:

NT: Huge and powerful, an impenetrable wall against runs up the gut, a pocket-collapsing avalanche vs. the pass and constantly demanding double teams vs. either. That role's so physically demanding it requires a solid substitute, but Austin seems up to the job. Failing that, Vickerson convalesced well enough to play 15 games this year, but KC only gave him a one year deal, so he could return and split time with Knighton in a dominant 3-4 NT rotation.

DE: Wolfe and Jackson are both excellent run stuffers and decent pass rushers precisely because they have the size, strength, speed and agility to be excellent 3-4 DEs, and Williams shifting from a 4-3 UT role to 3-4 DE would be a relatively slight change as well. It's not far from the role those guys already play in our nickel set, when Von Miller is essentially a 3-4 OLB with his hand in the dirt.

OLB: Millers played 3-4 OLB most of his college career, at such an elite level it made him #2 overall pick on a 4-3 team despite most draftnicks projecting him as the next All Pro OLB on someones 3-4. And since DeMarcus Ware spent many All Pro years playing OLB in Phillips' Dallas 3-4 it's almost inevitable he'd do the same in a Phillips Denver D. The only real question is how much we'd ask our OLBs to cover, because that could affect how well suited Quanterus Smith is for our 3rd OLB; if he can cover, or we can get away with him being JUST a pass rusher and adequate run stopper, we're set again.

ILB: Trevathan and Marshall have the elite coverage skills 3-4 ILBs need (especially if the OLBs play the run and rush the QB almost exclusively) and Irving looked much improved at it as our MLB before he went down; yet again, no worries.

We're arguably BETTER suited to a 3-4 than 3-4, because we have the stud NT and OLBs 3-4s need, but lack the 4-3s stud MLB and have our second elite pass rusher at OLB rather than DE.

Buzz means little in itself, but the buzz we were all over Kubes even after he said he wasn't leaving Baltimore, and it turned out his ties to Denver are so many and fond we had only to ask. I'm not sure Wades Denver memories are equally rosy, but even rumors we're talking to him is very encouraging to me. He and Kubes would've won a championship in Houston with even a DECENT QB; what if they get this stacked roster that includes PFM? The only thing OUR championship's missing is a solid line, and we all know that'll be the first thing Kubes and Denny address Day One.

I didn't say there was a law against and no we still wouldn't have all the right pieces. Trevathan and Marshall are small outside linebackers. They fit well in 4-3 as outside linebacker but for a 3-4 especially on the inside.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-22-2015, 06:42 PM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 6m

“@1dannyrendon: What about your loins?”---- they tell me everything's negotiable. The Vance Joseph as DC option is still out there.

Joel
01-22-2015, 06:47 PM
I didn't say there was a law against and no we still wouldn't have all the right pieces. Trevathan and Marshall are small outside linebackers. They fit well in 4-3 as outside linebacker but for a 3-4 especially on the inside.
Trevathan's only listed 2 lbs. lighter than DJ was when he went from a fine 4-3 Will to a fine 3-4 ILB, and 6'1" 250 lb. Marshall is about average for 4-3 LB or 3-4 ILB; it's the OLBs that need to be huge in a 3-4, because they're facing OTs and blocking TEs on pass rushes and runs. Unless the ILBs blitz a LOT, a 4-3 Will can do that job well because he's mainly in coverage over the middle as he was in his old 4-3.

Hell, Marshall's thicker than elite 3-4 OLB Von Miller, who's the exact same weight but 2" shorter. If Miller can rush the passer, stuff the run and occasionaly cover at 6'3" 250, Marshall can cover, stuff the run and occasionally rush the passer at 6'1" 250. I'm more worried whether Irving et al. would be adequate backups, especially since he and Trevathan are both on IR, and Marshall missed most of the last half of the season. That and whether Smith et al. can be adequate backup OLBs (particular since Ware's on the wrong side of 30) would be my only reservations if we re-sign Knighton.

Rick
01-22-2015, 06:52 PM
While I think Marshall would do well in a 3-4, I wonder which is more accurate. ESPN who has Marshall at 250 or denverbroncos.com who has him at 238.

TXBRONC
01-22-2015, 07:05 PM
Trevathan's only listed 2 lbs. lighter than DJ was when he went from a fine 4-3 Will to a fine 3-4 ILB, and 6'1" 250 lb. Marshall is about average for 4-3 LB or 3-4 ILB; it's the OLBs that need to be huge in a 3-4, because they're facing OTs and blocking TEs on pass rushes and runs. Unless the ILBs blitz a LOT, a 4-3 Will can do that job well because he's mainly in coverage over the middle as he was in his old 4-3.

Hell, Marshall's thicker than elite 3-4 OLB Von Miller, who's the exact same weight but 2" shorter. If Miller can rush the passer, stuff the run and occasionaly cover at 6'3" 250, Marshall can cover, stuff the run and occasionally rush the passer at 6'1" 250. I'm more worried whether Irving et al. would be adequate backups, especially since he and Trevathan are both on IR, and Marshall missed most of the last half of the season. That and whether Smith et al. can be adequate backup OLBs (particular since Ware's on the wrong side of 30) would be my only reservations if we re-sign Knighton.

As usual you have everything wrong. Trevathan is listed at 240 lbs that's ten pounds lighter than D.J. not two pounds. Marshall is listed at 238 lbs that's way undersized for inside linebackers in a 3-4. I won't argue with you on this any further I KNOW you are dead wrong on this issue end of story.

Joel
01-22-2015, 07:11 PM
While I think Marshall would do well in a 3-4, I wonder which is more accurate. ESPN who has Marshall at 250 or denverbroncos.com who has him at 238.
I got the latter number from NFL.com, and his Wikipedia page says the same. My guess (and that's all it is) is either they're using rookie or Combine weights and the team sites using the ones from this years camp, or vice versa, but which is which (if either) I have no idea. I'm satisfied either way though; as a blitzing 3-4 ILB he'd be more likely to try getting a free shot by shooting inside gaps or joining an overload on one side (if an OT blocking Marshall gave Miller or Ware a free shot, fine by me) or avoiding chips by RBs who are nearly all smaller than him whether he's 250 or 238.

Yet, while ALL 3-4 LBs have major run stopping and significant pass rushing duties, I'd expect at least one of our two best coverage LBs to do that most of the time while the linemen and both OLBs went after the QB. In other words, a role closer to a big safety than small LB, so pretty similar to what they've BEEN doing as 4-3 Wills. There certainly may be some finer defensive point I'm missing here, because I focus more on offense, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it unless/until someone offers a good counterargument.

Joel
01-22-2015, 07:16 PM
As usual you have everything wrong. Trevathan is listed at 240 lbs that's ten pounds lighter than D.J. not two pounds. Marshall is listed at 238 lbs that's way undersized for inside linebackers in a 3-4. I won't argue with you on this any further I KNOW you are dead wrong on this issue end of story.
In DENVER, DJ was listed at 240 or 242 pretty much EVERY year; I remember that well, and adding bulk in Chicago doesn't change that: He wasn't playing Denvers 3-4 ILB at 250, but he WAS playing it well. And, again, NFL.com, ESPN.com and Wikipedia ALL list Marshall at 250 (I didn't pull that number out of my butt either) so either all three of them are out of date or the team site is.

Also, just for fun (or at least novelty) how 'bout we skip the traditional "you're an ignorant fool and I'm a savvy genius" pissing contest based on enduring grudges over a long irrelevant issue.