PDA

View Full Version : Similarities with the late 90's team

CrazyHorse
01-21-2015, 02:07 PM
I'm not superstitious but I do find this interesting. They say history repeats itself. Feel free to list more if you think of any.

-The recent uniform change.

-The blowout Super Bowl loss.

-Big divisional round upset.

-Firing a head coach deemed too conservative who wasn't able to deliver a championship.

-A head coach who was an offensive coordinator of a Super Bowl team and wasn't successful their first stint.

-Former Colt QB in the twilight of their career with a reputation as a post-season choker.

-A tandem of 2 solid receivers.

-A premier receiving tight end.

-The emergence of an unknown running back.

CrazyHorse
01-23-2015, 05:35 PM
:cricket:
So am I grasping at straws or what?

Joel
01-23-2015, 07:40 PM
Well, if you really want opinions, I learned my lesson comparing the #1 seeded 13-3 Broncos who were one-and-done in '96 to the #1 seeded 13-3 Broncos who were one-and-done in 2012. History is certainly a creature of habit, but not guaranteed to repeat itself. And some of those comparisons are a slight stretch; Denver last blowout SB loss in '89 WAS history for much of the '97 team, some of whom had been on the OTHER team then, while others (e.g. Terrell Davis) were still in HS. And both Elway and Baltimore fans would dispute characterizing him as a "former Colt QB" when he was never even on the roster.

There are certainly plenty of similarities, which must almost inevitably grow with our '97-'98 OC as 2015-??? HC, but there's no Shanny, either father or son, and I suspect that's a good thing (I still dispute Kubiak "wasn't successful" in his first HC stint; that infant team was garbage when he got there, but he made them respectable, then respected, and it's not his fault his mediocre QB flamed out ONE YEAR when nearly every good player but Andre Johnson and Jonathan Joseph was on crutches.) However, I expect this team to forcefully and fearsomely assert its own unique identity as it tellingly didn't under Fox.

TXBRONC
01-23-2015, 10:00 PM
:cricket:
So am I grasping at straws or what?

Yea maybe a little.

Bronco9798
01-23-2015, 10:22 PM
None, in my opinion. Nothing compares to that team. Nothing.

We had Terrell Davis and Howard Griffith in the backfield. No comparison. No such things as Full backs any more

Rod Smith and Eddie Mac. Ed was Best possession in football at that time. DT and Sanders are naturally talented with skills. Man, Rod just worked hard and worked for all his skills. I don't think he was naturally talented. Just a hard worker.

Offensive lines was poetry in motion with the ZBS. Yeah, no comparison.

Shannon Sharpe at TE and We have Julius Thomas. Again, no comparison.

I'll tale ELway over Peyton any day. No similarities in the Two. Peyton is still trying late in his career, John did it.

That's just the offense side to it. I'll quit there.

EastCoastBronco
01-27-2015, 02:03 PM
Horse on the helmet.