PDA

View Full Version : Lombardi: Foregone Conclusion That Manning Returns

Buff
01-21-2015, 10:16 AM
On 104.3 this morning, Nate Lundy was talking about how Woody Paige is close to the Manning family and has said that Manning wants to come back next year.

Vic Lombardi said he thinks it's a foregone conclusion that Manning returns, and that Kubiak and staff are already designing plays for Manning. He also said that the Broncos should still consider asking him to restructure.

Nothing definitive - but I think all signs are pointing to Manning being the Broncos QB next season... Elway wants him back, and common sense would tell us that Manning doesn't want to go out like he did.

This isn't earth shattering news, but I feel like it's the closest we've come to "insider information" about where Manning is leaning.

Northman
01-21-2015, 10:25 AM
Wouldnt hurt to ask him to restructure. Having more room to add talent is never a bad thing.

Rick
01-21-2015, 10:36 AM
I don't have a huge issue with it past the fact it eats a lot of cap, if he restructures not so much, I just hope we have a future plan setup at QB. Brock won't stick around forever, if it won't be him we need someone waiting to take over.

Hopefully they can just convince Brock to stick around but there may be other places he feels he has a better chance of competing.

Then again, if he does come back this would probably be Peyton's last year, so even though his contract will be up maybe Brock signs knowing he is now the guy.

I just don't want to have to "Luck" into it like the Colts did.

BroncoJoe
01-21-2015, 10:44 AM
Not sure how restructuring works, but I'm guessing we'd only be delaying a large amount of money to a day where we may REALLY need it (post Manning). I also believe (but am not sure) players can't "take a pay cut" or alter the amount of money on their contract per NFLPA rules. They'd almost have to cut him, then resign him. I think.

Bronco9798
01-21-2015, 10:46 AM
I just hope he comes back. Front office can worry about his salary. He really does give us the option to win and that's what it's all about.

Joel
01-21-2015, 10:50 AM
I hope he wants to come back enough to restructure, not least so we can substantially upgrade the line that almost singlehandedly cost us a SB, then somehow managed to get WORSE. Maybe they can put it to him in terms of "if you're tired of playing hurt most of the year and having the whole D key on you because we can't run, maybe give us back some cash so we can do something about that." If we have to talk him into another season though, "We NEED you—so play for half pay" is still a weak sales pitch.

Sadly, the complications of switching to a whole new coaching staff mean he probably needs two years to adjust and win a SB. I dunno, how many HCs won a SB their first year with a team?

EDIT: Before anyone says it, Gruden using a HoF D to beat a playbook he wrote doesn't count. ;)

Ravage!!!
01-21-2015, 10:52 AM
I don't have a huge issue with it past the fact it eats a lot of cap, if he restructures not so much, I just hope we have a future plan setup at QB. Brock won't stick around forever, if it won't be him we need someone waiting to take over.

Hopefully they can just convince Brock to stick around but there may be other places he feels he has a better chance of competing.

Then again, if he does come back this would probably be Peyton's last year, so even though his contract will be up maybe Brock signs knowing he is now the guy.

I just don't want to have to "Luck" into it like the Colts did.

Unless we draft a QB from this year's class, what would you expect that plan to be? Everyone would just love to have "that plan" that the next guy is ready to step in and take over once their franchise guy is gone, but that's not very realistic. Right now, its either Brock, draft a guy this year to wait a season behind Manning and Brock, or wait until next year to draft a guy to be our "next starter." That's pretty much it.

Rick
01-21-2015, 10:53 AM
Unless we draft a QB from this year's class, what would you expect that plan to be?

I have no idea, that's not my job, it's my job to gripe about it in the forums :)

Bronco9798
01-21-2015, 11:06 AM
A QB will be drafted this year. You can count on that. Kubiak is going to want his say who he wants as a QB. I'm guessing he wants his own guy to bring in through the draft.

TXBRONC
01-21-2015, 11:20 AM
A QB will be drafted this year. You can count on that. Kubiak is going to want his say who he wants as a QB. I'm guessing he wants his own guy to bring in through the draft.

I don't know it they will draft one this year because this sounds like this year's quarterback class is pretty thin. What I am absolutely Elway, Kubiak and his staff will do there do diligence. I am also confident Kubiak will do a careful evaluation of Osweiler.

NightTrainLayne
01-21-2015, 11:43 AM
Okay. Now we need a plan to limit the workload Manning takes on.

And somehow that plan is going to have to develop in such a way that it's Manning's idea. Kubiak or even Elway aren't going to be able to step in and just tell Manning what to do. He has to come to an understanding that he needs to rest more, and not take so many reps.

Also, this will help Oz have some more reps and help in developing him, and whatever other QBs are on the roster.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-21-2015, 11:55 AM
The seismic impact was felt throughout the Rocky Mountains on Tuesday, and the celebration in the auditorium at Dove Valley was beyond exhilarating.

But the 6-foot-5, 230-pound elephant was not in the room.

Peyton Manning.

According to three trustworthy sources, Manning wants to return to the Broncos, but won't and can't make a final decision until he takes an annual physical examination mandated by his contract. Last year, the test results were learned at the beginning of March. The Broncos have requested that Manning let them know his plans by March 9 — the day before teams must exercise their rights on veteran players under contract. Manning, who turns 39 on March 24, is due $19 million next season.

AND

Trent Dilfer, ESPN analyst and former Super Bowl-winning quarterback, said that Kubiak and Manning will mesh well because the coach has a "quarterback-friendly, not quarterback-dependent" style.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/paige/ci_27360545/paige-you-can-expect-peyton-manning-return-broncos

Joel
01-21-2015, 12:00 PM
Unless we draft a QB from this year's class, what would you expect that plan to be? Everyone would just love to have "that plan" that the next guy is ready to step in and take over once their franchise guy is gone, but that's not very realistic. Right now, its either Brock, draft a guy this year to wait a season behind Manning and Brock, or wait until next year to draft a guy to be our "next starter." That's pretty much it.
None of those options are mutually exclusive either. Oz has as good a shot as anyone, epecially now that we have a couple senior coaches with well-earned reputations for developing QBs (particularly mobile ones) and quality lines to protect them. HOWEVER, he also has as BAD a shot as anyone, and for every PFM or JFE who lives up to their #1 overall pick hype, there's at least as many Ryan Leafs and several times more Vinny Testaverdes. As you say, it's not realistic to expect our first post-Manning starter will be another first ballot HoFer, nor even necessarily a championship-winning franchise QB.

We'll most likely need multiple shots to find our guy; maybe not, maybe Oz is it, but Elway and Co. aren't naïve enough to put all their eggs in one basket hoping they get lucky.

I don't know it they will draft one this year because this sounds like this year's quarterback class is pretty thin. What I am absolutely Elway, Kubiak and his staff will do there do diligence. I am also confident Kubiak will do a careful evaluation of Osweiler.
That's another nice thing about this not being Elway and Kubiaks first rodeo: They probably won't feel desperate enough to take the first QB they can get with highest pick they've got even if that means the #28 overall pick in a weak QB draft: They'll get the RIGHT guy, and if that means getting a stud LB, WR, OT, FS or whatever with one seaons 1st round pick and waiting a year or two till there's a DECENT QB prospect, I suspect that's what they'll do. Rushing to fill one need with a mediocre pick, then doing the same with another need when a guy ideal for the first is available is NOT championship football.

silkamilkamonico
01-21-2015, 12:03 PM
Manning maybe has 1 year left - I don't see how they could restructure, but paycut. Unless they're telling him if he retires they will roll over a good chunk of that and pay millions to a guy who isn't even on the roster the following year. Maybe Manning's worth it I don't know.

Ravage!!!
01-21-2015, 01:15 PM
Manning maybe has 1 year left - I don't see how they could restructure, but paycut. Unless they're telling him if he retires they will roll over a good chunk of that and pay millions to a guy who isn't even on the roster the following year. Maybe Manning's worth it I don't know.

I think the only way he can take a pay cut is to cut him and then resign him to a new deal. Would Manning be willing to simply forfeit MILLIONS of dollars? Probably not. But perhaps restructure the contract so that less cap hits THIS year. But yea, then you would be paying out money for a player that most probably won't be on the roster next year. But that's the way its always been for teams taht want to make a push while they have a guy like Manning. Pay a few million out when he's not on the roster, to build up that roster now.

BroncoWave
01-21-2015, 01:25 PM
I don't think Peyton is worth 20 million a year anymore. I don't know if it's practical to restructure or give him a paycut, but I would not feel good about him taking up 20 million of our cap this year.

CrazyHorse
01-21-2015, 01:26 PM

I say 2 years if he's healthy. That's a huge stipulation. He wasn't himself the last quarter of the season. A strong running game would help immensely. He doesn't need to throw the ball 50 times a game.

I've wondered if they could give Manning a stake in ownership instead of salary. The Broncos would probably get blamed for trying to manipulate the salary cap again though.

Slick
01-21-2015, 04:54 PM
This is disappointing news if true.

Joel
01-21-2015, 07:26 PM
I wish nothing but the best for Oz while he's here, but doubt he's even close to ready given how Manning monopolizes first team practice reps. The need to ease his workload combined with the arrival of great QB mentors like Kubes and Denny could be the best thing that ever happened to Oz, but—IF we re-sign him—I want to wait another year for that to germinate and grow. Not saying Elway does or will, but I'd sleep a lot better if Oz got his first starts in 2016 rather than 2015.

MOtorboat
01-21-2015, 07:51 PM

You're disappointed that Manning might come back?

MOtorboat
01-21-2015, 07:52 PM
I don't think Peyton is worth 20 million a year anymore. I don't know if it's practical to restructure or give him a paycut, but I would not feel good about him taking up 20 million of our cap this year.

I disagree. He has the eighth highest average salary, and he's definitely one of the eight best quarterbacks.

*That number came from The Drive last night. I haven't looked it up.

CoachChaz
01-21-2015, 07:56 PM

Compared to what? Romo, Ryan, Flacco, Kaepernick? All of them are in the same salary ballpark as Manning. That being the case, he is certainly worth 20 mil.

CoachChaz
01-21-2015, 07:58 PM

I disagree. He has the eighth highest average salary, and he's definitely one of the eight best quarterbacks.

*That number came from The Drive last night. I haven't looked it up.

Per season, I think he's 5th behind Rodgers, Brees, Ryan and Flacco. And barely ahead of Romo and Kaepernick.

Slick
01-21-2015, 08:14 PM
You're disappointed that Manning might come back?

Yes. I've been over the reasons why in the thread that had the poll and I promised not to spam the board with negativity.

Buff
01-21-2015, 08:35 PM
Compared to what? Romo, Ryan, Flacco, Kaepernick? All of them are in the same salary ballpark as Manning. That being the case, he is certainly worth 20 mil.

Here is the rub - none of those QBs have the physical limitations that Manning does. Even with all his productivity, I am not willing to overlook his arm strength and mobility issues. Teams know how to defense him much better than they did during the first half of his tenure in Denver.

I think it's a legitimate argument to say "We appreciate that you can beat the bottom 2/3rds of the league consistently despite your physical limitations, but your skill set is too limited to pay you $20 mil/yr because we are forced to compensate for your deficiencies and you can no longer single handedly carry this team against elite defenses."

spikerman
01-21-2015, 09:12 PM
Here is the rub - none of those QBs have the physical limitations that Manning does. Even with all his productivity, I am not willing to overlook his arm strength and mobility issues. Teams know how to defense him much better than they did during the first half of his tenure in Denver.

I think it's a legitimate argument to say "We appreciate that you can beat the bottom 2/3rds of the league consistently despite your physical limitations, but your skill set is too limited to pay you $20 mil/yr because we are forced to compensate for your deficiencies and you can no longer single handedly carry this team against elite defenses."
I'm willing to see what he can do with a coach who is committed to, and proven to be effective at, the running game. I think Denver's season rests solely on Kubiak's (and Elway's) defensive coaching staff.

tripp
01-22-2015, 12:45 PM
I think off-season should be dedicated to this O-line. Make this team a legit balanced team that doesn't go to the extremes of one Sunday throwing it 50 times, to the next Sunday where we run it 30 times.

I don't know what I'm more excited about, seeing what CJ Anderson can do with a full season as our #1 RB, or us HOPEFULLY throwing out the bubble screen, and the 20 yard fade route.

TXBRONC
01-22-2015, 01:04 PM
I think off-season should be dedicated to this O-line. Make this team a legit balanced team that doesn't go to the extremes of one Sunday throwing it 50 times, to the next Sunday where we run it 30 times.

I don't know what I'm more excited about, seeing what CJ Anderson can do with a full season as our #1 RB, or us HOPEFULLY throwing out the bubble screen, and the 20 yard fade route.

Attention should and will be paid to the offense but there are other areas. Denver also needs to pay attention to special teams.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-22-2015, 01:48 PM

I think Kubes has always strived to have balance.

Joel
01-22-2015, 01:49 PM

VERY good point; the better our line is, the worse QBs and RBs we can survive. And you're dead on about "pass till they stop it, then run till they stop it, repeat ad nasueam" being nothing like the "balanced" offense it was billed as. There's nothing wrong with an occasional delay draw on 3rd and long to mix it up and fake a pass against a D expecting a pass, but after the tenth time in a row NO ONE'S fooled.

No matter how good the play, players or execution, always calling the same handful of plays in a given situation gets predictable in a hurry. Further, we can maintain a PRECISE 50/50 run/pass balance, but if all the runs are out of our beloved 3 OT 2 TE jumbo set and all the passes are out of the empty backfield we love on 3rd and 1, it'll never go anywhere. Passing on 3rd and short only fools the D into expecting a run if there's actually someone there TO run.

I could do with fewer different formations and more different PLAYS; a handful of formations well suited to myriad plays makes offenses truly fierce because the D never knows what's coming.

Ravage!!!
01-22-2015, 01:56 PM
I say 2 years if he's healthy. That's a huge stipulation. He wasn't himself the last quarter of the season. A strong running game would help immensely. He doesn't need to throw the ball 50 times a game.

I've wondered if they could give Manning a stake in ownership instead of salary. The Broncos would probably get blamed for trying to manipulate the salary cap again though.

Not to mention, why would the ownership give away a % of th franchise?

tripp
01-22-2015, 02:32 PM

To be fair, he was playing with a torn/bruised quad for the second half of the season. While it looked like he was fine, there was obviously something wrong with his passing, as it was clearly night and day compared to the first half of the season. I've said this during the regular season when there was a sudden change in his passing, that something is wrong. You don't go from on pace to throwing another 50 TD's to trowing 4 picks in a game without something seriously hindering your ability to do so. I failed to believe it was the plays being called, and I refused to believe the fatigue in his arm had just gave way half way through the season. I'd say 2 years if healthy too, barring any serious injuries obviously.

VERY good point; the better our line is, the worse QBs and RBs we can survive. And you're dead on about "pass till they stop it, then run till they stop it, repeat ad nasueam" being nothing like the "balanced" offense it was billed as. There's nothing wrong with an occasional delay draw on 3rd and long to mix it up and fake a pass against a D expecting a pass, but after the tenth time in a row NO ONE'S fooled.

No matter how good the play, players or execution, always calling the same handful of plays in a given situation gets predictable in a hurry. Further, we can maintain a PRECISE 50/50 run/pass balance, but if all the runs are out of our beloved 3 OT 2 TE jumbo set and all the passes are out of the empty backfield we love on 3rd and 1, it'll never go anywhere. Passing on 3rd and short only fools the D into expecting a run if there's actually someone there TO run.

I could do with fewer different formations and more different PLAYS; a handful of formations well suited to myriad plays makes offenses truly fierce because the D never knows what's coming.

Now that I've been away from Bronco football for almost 2 weeks, I'm starting to think a bit more clearly, and not based on emotion. I think it was due for John Fox and Co, to depart Denver after this season. It was apparent by the calls on both sides of the ball, that it just wasn't enough. I think we re-used plays over and over again this past year from the previous year, which made us look completely predictable, especially on offence. Our inability to adjust during the game was shockingly bad. The nice thing about going into this year, even if we don't shake things up completely, atleast we'll have different looks compared to last year, so the opposing defence has to actually guess what plays we're going to call.

Joel
01-22-2015, 02:38 PM
Especially for a guy who was no part of the team before three years ago; he's hardly Elway Jr. I'm still amazed how fast how many Broncos fans leapt onto the Manning bandwagon the moment we signed him, when he'd spent over a decade with no Denver connection but being the guy so hung 40+ on us two straight postseasons and set Shanny on the road to unemployment despite the response of trading Portis for Champ AND spending the next THREE top draft picks on CBs. This is the guy roundly mocked at Broncomania in '05 for throwing his line under The Bus after Pitt upset the #1 seed so we got to host the AFCCG.

The rush to throw HIM under the bus now is worse, as disgusting as it was expected, but I doubt he's gotten so chummy with Mr. Bowlen in three years that he's earned a permanent stake in the organization, and also doubt he WANTS one: Manning was born and remains a bayou boy more likely to buy a share in the Saints than a team in the snowy Rockies 1000 miles from any beach, because he hasn't spent two decades becoming part of that community as Favre did in GB. Getting booed out of his last home game probably didn't help either.

slim
01-22-2015, 03:06 PM

Amen

Timmy!
01-22-2015, 03:40 PM
Amen

You and slick are the new Eeyores. :D

Slick
01-22-2015, 03:42 PM
It's like watching the same movie over and over again and expecting the ending to be different.

Lancane
01-22-2015, 04:31 PM

Pat Bowlen owns the majority, the only other person to own a percentage is John Bowlen who owns a minority share. And Bowlen said three years ago, maybe four that he planned on keeping the Broncos within the Bowlen family via a trust and one day one of his children will take over. He did at one time offer a percentage to Elway but Elway turned down the offer at the time - but offering the same to Manning is completely unlikely.

TXBRONC
01-22-2015, 04:43 PM

I would think any percentage of the team is ultimately worth more than what they are paying him so I don't see that happening.

slim
01-22-2015, 05:01 PM
You and slick are the new Eeyores. :D

I can live with that.

I just don't see any way a 39 year old Manning is going to lead a team to a championship. It would just be a wasted year.

Timmy!
01-22-2015, 05:11 PM
I can live with that.

I just don't see any way a 39 year old Manning is going to lead a team to a championship. It would just be a wasted year.

I like our odds. I will also take #1/#2 seeds and a super bowl appearance over just missing the playoffs etc for another decade. The last 3 years its been pretty good to be a Bronco fan all things considered. I'm down to ride this horse until it dies.

TXBRONC
01-22-2015, 05:16 PM
I can live with that.

I see a way for it to be done but that doesn't it would come to fruition.

slim
01-22-2015, 05:24 PM
I like our odds. I will also take #1/#2 seeds and a super bowl appearance over just missing the playoffs etc for another decade. The last 3 years its been pretty good to be a Bronco fan all things considered. I'm down to ride this horse until it dies.

It has been a relatively good 3 years. I just think it's time to move on.

Another year with Manning means 10-6 and one and done in the playoffs...I have no interest in that.

That last game was so painful; it looked like Tebow playing on two broken legs.

Look, the guy is one of the greatest of all time, but he is done. There is no shame in that, it happens to all of us eventually.

TXBRONC
01-22-2015, 05:25 PM

Another year with Manning means 10-6 and one and done in the playoffs...I have no interest in that.

Look, the guy is one of the greatest of all time, but he is done. There is no shame in that, it happens to all of us eventually.

Are you saying you're past your prime Slim?

Rick
01-22-2015, 05:27 PM

Good thing you said 2 broken legs as I think Tebow scored a TD in HS with 1 broken leg lol.

slim
01-22-2015, 05:29 PM
Are you saying you're past your prime Slim?

I can almost remember my prime....those were the days.

Rick
01-22-2015, 05:30 PM
I am almost 40, when do I reach my prime or is it just a lost cause at this point?

TXBRONC
01-22-2015, 05:31 PM
I can almost remember my prime....those were the days.

That makes sad Slim. I hate watching my heroes get old. :tsk:

Lancane
01-22-2015, 05:32 PM
Well, I think Manning will be the quarterback of the Broncos for 2015...but as for Osweiler, I hate to say this because every time I do I have been right (Cutler/Tebow/Osweiler). But I am leaning toward Denver drafting a quarterback early, not there yet...just leaning right now. But Osweiler may well end up traded to a team needing a quarterback and the class being so weak could well attract suitors as will Foles, both could be in high demand come the draft. If that is the case then Manning may well play two more years as they prepare the next heir apparent.

TXBRONC
01-22-2015, 05:33 PM
Well, I think Manning will be the quarterback of the Broncos for 2015...but as for Osweiler, I hate to say this because every time I do I have been right (Cutler/Tebow/Osweiler). But I am leaning toward Denver drafting a quarterback early, not there yet...just leaning right now. But Osweiler may well end up traded to a team needing a quarterback and the class being so weak could well attract suitors as will Foles, both could be in high demand come the draft. If that is the case then Manning may well play two more years as they prepare the next heir apparent.

The earliest I see that happening is next year.

Timmy!
01-22-2015, 05:34 PM

I don't think he is done is the thing. I think the injury was killing him. If he can stay healthy, and with better coaching I think we have a pretty good shot. We will find out, but there is a reason why the Duke wants to give it one more shot.

Valar Morghulis
01-22-2015, 05:35 PM

I am with you on this one. It would be different if we had Aaron Rodgers as back up.

Rick
I don't know if it is true but I saw on, I think the Les and Woody show maybe, Les mentioned Elway was considering extending Brocks contract already.

Slick

The 3rd and 5 with 20 yards of green grass in front of him was the last straw for me, slim. His team was in the game, a chance to get back into it, even re-take the lead. It took the wind out of the whole team's (and the stadium's) sails.

Slick
01-22-2015, 05:37 PM
You guys are in as much denial as WTE.

Timmy!
01-22-2015, 05:39 PM
I am with you on this one. It would be different if we had Aaron Rodgers as back up.

Or if our team wasn't already loaded with pro-bowl talent, because that won't always be the case. I feel good about 2015.

Lancane
01-22-2015, 05:40 PM
The earliest see that happening is next year.

How many told me I was nuts about them drafting Cutler after Plummer led the Broncos to the AFCCG? How many told me that no way would Tebow be drafted by the Broncos in the first round? How many told me that no way will the Broncos draft a quarterback early the year I said they'd take Brock Osweiler?

Not that I am tooting my own horn - it's a curse (especially when I was right about Tebow), but Denver seems really high on a kid in this years draft, I am not saying that I am sold...but I am leaning that way.

Valar Morghulis
01-22-2015, 05:41 PM
The 3rd and 5 with 20 yards of green grass in front of him was the last straw for me, slim. His team was in the game, a chance to get back into it, even re-take the lead. It took the wind out of the whole team's (and the stadium's) sails.

That play broke me as well - but i am ready to forgive and move on.

a 75% fit Manning in the correct scheme - is still better than all other option out there in my opinion. BUt he needs to run the damn play that is called - go hurry up more trust Kubes play calls. He also needs to sit as soon as the game is done, take it easy i training and hopefully our revampted offensive line keeps him upright.

Timmy!
01-22-2015, 05:42 PM
You guys are in as much denial as WTE.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4104/5166465451_ded900eaf8_z.jpg

Timmy!
01-22-2015, 05:43 PM

I broke a shot glass shortly after that play......

Rick
01-22-2015, 05:44 PM
As I merntioned, not sure how valid, but supposedly Elways is considering a Brock extension. http://sportsshow.denverpost.com/2015/01/21/what-will-happen-to-brock-osweiler-now-that-he-s-in-his-contract-year/

Lancane
01-22-2015, 05:45 PM
I don't know if it is true but I saw on, I think the Les and Woody show maybe, Les mentioned Elway was considering extending Brocks contract already.

Les Shapiro also said that the Broncos were going to name Troy Calhoun the next head coach of the Broncos a few years back and that was not even close to being true.

Also, Osweiler's Agents would not let this be easy. Agents always believe that the players they represent should be starters, so how do you get a kid who wants to play like Brock or at least to compete to sign on for another few years? Give him a contract similar to Dalton or Manziel, or more around the price of Rodger's or Flacco's rookie contracts? What is the incentive for him? That the position is his when Manning does finally retire? The Quarterback that snubbed him from playing this season? How do you think Osweiler is about this whole thing - that will play a huge factor no matter his friendship with Elway's son.

Timmy!
01-22-2015, 05:47 PM
As I merntioned, not sure how valid, but supposedly Elways is considering a Brock extension. http://sportsshow.denverpost.com/2015/01/21/what-will-happen-to-brock-osweiler-now-that-he-s-in-his-contract-year/

The Montana giraffe is going to be a baller.

Rick
01-22-2015, 05:49 PM
Not saying it will happen, or that it is true, just mentioning I saw it :)

TXBRONC
01-22-2015, 05:54 PM
How many told me I was nuts about them drafting Cutler after Plummer led the Broncos to the AFCCG? How many told me that no way would Tebow be drafted by the Broncos in the first round? How many told me that no way will the Broncos draft a quarterback early the year I said they'd take Brock Osweiler?

Not that I am tooting my own horn - it's a curse (especially when I was right about Tebow), but Denver seems really high on a kid in this years draft, I am not saying that I am sold...but I am leaning that way.

Well if Denver is that high on Petty then yes I could see Denver drafting him but that doesn't exist in a vacuum. Denver's free agent situation will have impact on their draft.

Lancane
01-22-2015, 06:08 PM
Well if Denver is that high on Petty then yes I could see Denver drafting him but that doesn't exist in a vacuum. Denver's free agent situation will have impact on their draft.

It's not Petty, it's Grayson.

TXBRONC
01-22-2015, 06:11 PM
It's not Petty, it's Grayson.

Petty is one that heard Denver was interested in not that it matters.

Lancane
01-22-2015, 06:17 PM
Petty is one that heard Denver was interested in not that it matters.

I'm hearing that the Broncos are drooling all over Grayson and they had a meeting with him at the Senior Bowl.

slim
01-22-2015, 06:44 PM
I don't think he is done is the thing. I think the injury was killing him. If he can stay healthy, and with better coaching I think we have a pretty good shot. We will find out, but there is a reason why the Duke wants to give it one more shot.

Does Elway really want him back, or is he just being PC for an aging legend? I tend to think its the latter.

The injury thing seems like an excuse to me. If he was truly injured, why did he play nearly the entire second half of the Raider game? It doesn't really pass the smell test.

Timmy!
01-22-2015, 06:54 PM
Does Elway really want him back, or is he just being PC for an aging legend? I tend to think its the latter.

The injury thing seems like an excuse to me. If he was truly injured, why did he play nearly the entire second half of the Raider game? It doesn't really pass the smell test.

If Elway didn't want him back, he wouldn't be back. We both know that. As for the injury, I think the way it was handled might have been the straw that broke the foxes back.

slim
01-22-2015, 07:29 PM
If Elway didn't want him back, he wouldn't be back. We both know that.

Yes, it's why I'm not convinced he will be back. Time will tell, I guess.

Joel
01-22-2015, 07:34 PM
If Elway didn't want him back, he wouldn't be back. We both know that. As for the injury, I think the way it was handled might have been the straw that broke the foxes back.
That last's certainly an interesting possibility; a coach must be careful what he subjects a HoF QB to when his boss IS one. As for the other, I agree Elway's made clear he won't let media/fan perception/opinion dictate his job. One of his comments the other day about willingness to let people try new things, but only if they answer his initial "why?" really impressed me. That's a flexible reasonable attitude rather than the stubborn, indecisive, domineering, indulgent, passive or obsessive behavior with which so many GMs and owners cripple what could otherwise be great teams.

Then there's Kubiak echoing Elways Manning statements the other day when he said Shanny sent him to ask Elway about retirement after the first SB and he knew the answer in about five minutes even though it took Elway a while to get around to it while they hung out, then making that visit again the following year and Elway telling him on arrival that they'd hang out for a while chatting and watching games but he was done playing. I think he's leaving it in Mannings hands because sure that's who'll know the answer about what his body can still do and take before anyone else does.

Ravage!!!
01-25-2015, 04:04 PM
at the same time, when has Manning EVER missed game time while being in the NFL....other than his neck surgeries? Manning doesn't miss snaps.. just like Favre didn't miss snaps.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-28-2015, 12:49 PM
Add former Denver Broncos safety and 2015 Pro Football Hall of Fame finalist John Lynch to the list of people thinking Peyton Manning is coming back next year.

Vic Lombardi ✔ @VicLombardi
Follow

John Lynch tells us he spent some time with Peyton Manning last week. Says he’d be “shocked” if he’s not back: “He’ll work his tail off”.
8:17 AM - 28 Jan 2015

http://www.milehighreport.com/2015/1/28/7928297/peyton-manning-broncos-2015-john-lynch