PDA

View Full Version : Broncos Interested in Baylor QB Bryce Petty

WJK
01-20-2015, 07:03 PM
Per Cecil Lammey
https://twitter.com/cecillammey/status/557636453849907201

How easily would a quarterback from a spread offense transition to Kubiak's under center play-action heavy offense? And more importantly, what does Denver's targeting of a top QB in the draft say about their confidence in Brock Osweiler?

Joel
01-20-2015, 07:17 PM
Per Cecil Lammey

How easily would a quarterback from a spread offense transition to Kubiak's under center play-action heavy offense? And more importantly, what does Denver's targeting of a top QB in the draft say about their confidence in Brock Osweiler?
*shrugs* Saying, "There is no Plan B," isn't crazy with a proven first ballot HoFer; saying the same with a three-year bench warmer is. Luck's occasionally "the residue of design" and lets a team with good scouts and GMs immediately plug in a young first ballot HoFer to succeed a retiring one (e.g. Steve Young, Aaron Rodgers) but the norm is for even a team with the best GMs and scouts to need multiple attempts. Even with a #1 overall pick like Indy had in 2012, there's still no guarantee they don't get a Ryan Leaf, but we'll pick in the bottom eight next year.

So even if we draft the guy (and a tweet's not a draft pick) that's not a vote of no confidence in Oz, it's keeping more than one iron in the fire. Welcome, btw; where are you from in Waco? :tongue:

MileHighCrew
01-20-2015, 07:25 PM
too bad they can't get up high enough for Mariota... that would be amazing

TXBRONC
01-20-2015, 07:26 PM
When Elway became the V.P. of Player Operations he said he would be looking at quarterbacks in every draft. To date he's done just that.

Joel
01-20-2015, 08:14 PM
Just a hunch, but unless Oz (or someone on the roster) catches fire immediately after Manning retires, I suspect we'll trade up to get a top ten pick we otherwise wouldn't, but hope we'll wait till there's a promising QB class rather than just desperately rushing to get the "Best QB Available" even if they're all pretty average.

For what it's worth though, there's not a lot of recent statistical difference between the careers of QBs taken with the first five or LAST five 1st round picks, and plenty of 2nd rounders have done just fine. If a team has a true need where a draft is deep, even a SB Champ can get a good one with good scouting. Every draft's such a crap shoot though it never hurts having a Plan B or even C.

elsid13
01-20-2015, 08:28 PM

There is stupid media rumor that Mariota might drop to mid to late teens. One of the NFL analyst have him going to KC at 19. If he does drop Elway should consider a move up to get him.

TXBRONC
01-20-2015, 08:53 PM
There is stupid media rumor that Mariota might drop to mid to late teens. One of the NFL analyst have him going to KC at 19. If he does drop Elway should consider a move up to get him.

While there is first time for everything Elway has shown he's very patient when comes to the draft. For him to even consider such leap up the draft board he would have to be absolutely convinced that Mariota is the real deal.

Tebowtime2011
01-21-2015, 03:10 AM

There is stupid media rumor that Mariota might drop to mid to late teens. One of the NFL analyst have him going to KC at 19. If he does drop Elway should consider a move up to get him. I call BS on that rumor. It would be hilarious though hearing mike Mayock's comments on that. A drop like that though would be like the movie Draft Day.

Lancane
01-21-2015, 11:09 AM
Another Heisman Winner who will likely bust at the NFL level, the last Heisman winner I thought had a legit shot was Bradford and look at what has happened with him. The Heisman is a curse, had Mariota not won the damn thing I would be for it. If I was a College Quarterback or Running Back I would not even want to be in contention for the damn award.

underrated29
01-21-2015, 12:42 PM
Id rather continue to build the team then reach and lose picks on a high round QB....

San fran has a solid team all around. The seabirds have a solid team all around. Both of their QBs are good enough to lead a stacked team to the big show. I would hope we would do something like that with Brock. If Brock shows that he is not good enough with a stacked team, then and only then would I be in favor of trading an entire drafts worth of picks for a top flight Qb....I do not trust all of these running qbs that come out. I cant think of any aside from wilson that have really worked. Although I do think Bridgewater may just be legit. Ej manuel, johnny football, kaep, and on and on- all seem to suck. I havent put in the research on winston or mariota yet but I have a feeling they will follow suit.

OrangeHoof
01-21-2015, 01:15 PM
Bryce Petty is an above average QB prospect but it is so hard to project spread offense QBs into a pro offense.

Joel
01-21-2015, 01:35 PM
Another Heisman Winner who will likely bust at the NFL level, the last Heisman winner I thought had a legit shot was Bradford and look at what has happened with him. The Heisman is a curse, had Mariota not won the damn thing I would be for it. If I was a College Quarterback or Running Back I would not even want to be in contention for the damn award.
To be fair many elite NFL players won Heismans; Hornung, Staubach, Earl Campbell, the original TD, OJ and Barry Sanders just to name the ones who come to my mind. The problem, IMHO, is that despite all the pomp and circumstance about the BCS, then a "championship" game and now a so-called "playoff," the SECAA is more a popularity contest than ever. As long as its greatness metric is WHERE one plays rather than how WELL, the Heisman must have diminishing value in an NFL that has draft rather than recruiting classes and decides its champions on the field rather than in the voting booth.

All that to say: I personally think all it means now is that a guy played for the SEC, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Michigan or Ohio State, but it's not a kiss of death either.

Bronco9798
01-21-2015, 01:38 PM

Nothing do with the Heisman at all. I just think he will be a bust, period. I really do.

Northman
01-21-2015, 01:38 PM
Per Cecil Lammey

Bryce is projected as a third round player so i dont think it really says much other than if Manning doesnt return Brock will have some competition which would be normal anyway.

CoachChaz
01-21-2015, 02:15 PM
Manning will be back, so anyone they draft if merely developmental and potential competition for Brock

Lancane
01-21-2015, 02:17 PM
To be fair many elite NFL players won Heismans; Hornung, Staubach, Earl Campbell, the original TD, OJ and Barry Sanders just to name the ones who come to my mind. The problem, IMHO, is that despite all the pomp and circumstance about the BCS, then a "championship" game and now a so-called "playoff," the SECAA is more a popularity contest than ever. As long as its greatness metric is WHERE one plays rather than how WELL, the Heisman must have diminishing value in an NFL that has draft rather than recruiting classes and decides its champions on the field rather than in the voting booth.

All that to say: I personally think all it means now is that a guy played for the SEC, Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Michigan or Ohio State, but it's not a kiss of death either.

Most of us feel the Heisman is a curse, notice how most of your examples played before the last three decades in the NFL...that tells me all I need to know.

Bronco9798
01-21-2015, 02:22 PM
Manning will be back, so anyone they draft if merely developmental and potential competition for Brock

They will all be developmental, including Brock. He really hasn't had enough reps to be really considered anthingy but still developmental going into what, his 4th year.

CoachChaz
01-21-2015, 02:53 PM
They will all be developmental, including Brock. He really hasn't had enough reps to be really considered anthingy but still developmental going into what, his 4th year.

I agree, but if you had Brock and a rookie as the only QB's on the roster right now, one would have to assume that Oz would be the incumbent starter. Unless of course the rookie was top talent...and I'm not prepared to consider Petty or Grayson top talent just yet

NightTerror218
01-21-2015, 03:00 PM
When Elway became the V.P. of Player Operations he said he would be looking at quarterbacks in every draft. To date he's done just that.

This. Every draft so far he has looked at top QBs. Just how he evaluates. He has brought in QBs for workouts prior to draft every year. So this is a ho hum mute thing.

Bronco9798
01-21-2015, 03:03 PM
I agree, but if you had Brock and a rookie as the only QB's on the roster right now, one would have to assume that Oz would be the incumbent starter. Unless of course the rookie was top talent...and I'm not prepared to consider Petty or Grayson top talent just yet

I hear you. I'm on record to say OZ will not be our long term at QB. I don't buy into him at all. None.

Krugan
01-21-2015, 03:08 PM
If they werent or arent sure about brock, having him as the only back up to an aged starter, was most likely a huge mistake to begin with.

Joel
01-21-2015, 03:44 PM
Most of us feel the Heisman is a curse, notice how most of your examples played before the last three decades in the NFL...that tells me all I need to know.
Again, college football was always a popularity contest and oligarchy rather than meritocracy, and its two decades of patronizing sham "championships" and now "playoffs" to placate fans sick of that have only made it worse. The SECAA didn't create a competition and never meant to: It created COVER to be more shameless than ever about declaring default champions under a shiny new veneer of faux legitimacy. That Gatoraded down a league already "amateur" in all the worst says, so Heisman's ain't worth what they used to be.

Guys sign letters of intent based on where they can win a Heisman and make the NFL draft, so the "best" teams in the eyes of national sportswriters are mostly the same ones their grandfathers and mentors considered "best" 70 years ago. Call it a Catch Top 25; even undefeated teams from the wrong side of the tracks are never in consideration to even be IN a championship game, because "they didn't play anyone," but when it's time to make new schedules top non-conference teams won't play them because "they aren't ranked."

Not to make this an anti-college rant, but the Heisman's worth has fallen because the SECAAs has, even as (even because) the monetary VALUE of both skyrocketed.

OrangeHoof
01-21-2015, 06:34 PM
Makes you wonder how much worse Vince Young's career would have been if he had won the Heisman. Or how great Tim Tebow's career would have been if he hadn't won the Heisman...

Simple Jaded
01-21-2015, 06:44 PM
Per Cecil Lammey

It says Osweiler is going into the final year of his contract and Manning is a year-to-year proposition.

Personally, I'd avoid QBs from schools like Baylor and Oregon.

Btw, being a "top QB in this draft" really isn't saying much, I think there's a total of 2 starters.

Bronco9798
01-21-2015, 06:49 PM
It says Osweiler is going into the final year of his contract and Manning is a year-to-year proposition.

Personally, I'd avoid QBs from schools like Baylor and Oregon.

Btw, being a "top QB in this draft" really isn't saying much, I think there's a total of 2 starters.

You're being generous. I don't see two starters coming out of this draft and starting on opening day.

Lancane
01-21-2015, 07:04 PM
Petty looked absolutely horrid in Senior Bowl practice, but Grayson looked great, he was like 18 of 20 or something like that and he made some pretty throws. The worst quarterback I saw was Blake Sims of all the Senior Bowl Quarterbacks.

Simple Jaded
01-21-2015, 07:08 PM
You're being generous. I don't see two starters coming out of this draft and starting on opening day.

I have a very generous nature, sometimes I'm too nice.

But I agree, Jameison has a chance to start opening day but unless Mariotta goes to Phili he's gonna need some time to develop.

Simple Jaded
01-21-2015, 07:09 PM
Petty looked absolutely horrid in Senior Bowl practice, but Grayson looked great, he was like 18 of 20 or something like that and he made some pretty throws. The worst quarterback I saw was Blake Sims of all the Senior Bowl Quarterbacks.

Sims should move to RB, I think.

TXBRONC
01-21-2015, 10:48 PM

One bad practice wouldn't necessarily make me shy away because he still do the things you're looking for in a quarterback.

TXBRONC
01-21-2015, 10:51 PM
I have a very generous nature, sometimes I'm too nice.

But I agree, Jameison has a chance to start opening day but unless Mariotta goes to Phili he's gonna need some time to develop.

Yea you make Mother Teresa look like Attila the Hun.

Lancane
01-21-2015, 11:28 PM
One bad practice wouldn't necessarily make me shy away because he still do the things you're looking for in a quarterback.

No, but when you know that the whole world is evaluating you and that pressure is on will show if a quarterback has what it takes to be clutch or if they are likely to crumble under pressure. Also, when you are 10 of 20 in a practice and throwing lame ducks or low throws making the receiver work harder to catch the ball it becomes something that effect you.