PDA

View Full Version : There goes the season...

Retired_Member_001
12-02-2007, 07:05 PM
No more positive crap. Face reality, unless San Diego REALLY mess up, the season is over.

They are 7-5 and on a two game winning streak. We are going to become 5-7 with a two game losing streak.

The defense can't tackle or stop the run, the special teams unit will make anyone look like Devin Hester, the play calling on offense is too conservative and the offense just can't protect Cutler AND they can't execute.

If we really tank the season, we would get a high draft pick with a 5-11 record.

Stargazer
12-02-2007, 07:10 PM
It's over. Another division loss/AFC conferece loss today. The season is officially done.

AFGAHNI_BATTLE_DONKEY
12-02-2007, 07:19 PM
if we did go 5-11 who would you guys hope to try and draft?

Grover
12-02-2007, 07:20 PM
Agreed, two and done as far as the last two weeks games. The Broncos just looked like they had a lack of energy today. I think that comes from lack of talent in key positions - especially Linebacker and the inexperience on our offensive line. Ah well, I hope we have a good draft this year and come back swinging.

UnderArmour
12-02-2007, 07:24 PM
If we really tank the season, we would get a high draft pick with a 5-11 record.
No Free Agent will ever want to sign with us, not if we go 5-11. Tanking the season would be ridiculously stupid for the prestige of our franchise so we may as well win out and make it in the playoffs.

NameUsedBefore
12-02-2007, 08:17 PM
9-7 could still do something, but it's the act of getting to 9-7 that is the problem...

BaiLeY324
12-02-2007, 08:18 PM
No more positive crap. Face reality, unless San Diego REALLY mess up, the season is over.

They are 7-5 and on a two game winning streak. We are going to become 5-7 with a two game losing streak.

The defense can't tackle or stop the run, the special teams unit will make anyone look like Devin Hester, the play calling on offense is too conservative and the offense just can't protect Cutler AND they can't execute.

Let's be serious... The season was over after that 41-3 loss against SD

OB
12-02-2007, 08:19 PM
At first i had the same mentality then i thought we play to win - period - we arent going to get better if we dont play to win every week - regardless of the outcome - this team needs to gel - I think we are at th point we were last year when mikey decided to put jay in for jake - lets get the FUTURE started - lets keep it that way - i think we had too high of hopes for our team, to coincide with the huge injuries to key players and other off field troubles - lets just go out there and do our BEST every week - these games matter towards next year too, lets not forget, even if its just plain experience as playing as a team and getting jay into the leadership rule he needs to take

jlarsiii
12-02-2007, 08:48 PM
At first i had the same mentality then i thought we play to win - period - we arent going to get better if we dont play to win every week - regardless of the outcome - this team needs to gel - I think we are at th point we were last year when mikey decided to put jay in for jake - lets get the FUTURE started - lets keep it that way - i think we had too high of hopes for our team, to coincide with the huge injuries to key players and other off field troubles - lets just go out there and do our BEST every week - these games matter towards next year too, lets not forget, even if its just plain experience as playing as a team and getting jay into the leadership rule he needs to take

There it is in a nutshell pretty much. Most fans expectations for the season were way to high considering all that transpired in the offseason. There were a number of people (including myself) who expected this type of season. Granted, I wasn't expecting our team to have 4 turnovers and gift 24 points to the faiders but that is how it goes sometimes.

I really think that loss last weekend to Chi-town demoralized our team and they never recovered. It sure looked that way to me on the field today. Maybe the unfortunate passing of yet another football player to a senseless act opened some freshly healed wounds and our team wasn't totally focused on the game. I can't blame them if that was the case. Anyway, that loss last weekend was the final blow to any hopes we had for the postseason.

From here on out I hope to see our team improve overall and review our roster to see what to do next come this offseason.

topscribe
12-02-2007, 08:56 PM
No Free Agent will ever want to sign with us, not if we go 5-11. Tanking the season would be ridiculously stupid for the prestige of our franchise so we may as well win out and make it in the playoffs.

Playoffs? :lol:

Maybe the Broncos are at the "tank" point already . . . :noidea:

-----

saddletramp
12-02-2007, 09:58 PM
Lets not give up just yet.

Lonestar
12-03-2007, 02:18 AM

Any fee agent in the NFL can look and see the talent level on this team and that a few key additions will make the difference.

The are not stupid to look at all the injuries on the squad as well as having THENRY stupidity hanging over the teams head for the past 5-6 weeks now.

Those are the reasons for this team to hit rock bottom.

Lonestar
12-03-2007, 02:26 AM
I did not see the game so am going off assumptions.

OAK has had a real good Pass defense the past couple of years.

Their RB's are not to shabby.

Our OLINE has struggled most of the year in keeping DL and blitzers out of Jay face for that matter it has been bad since PIT in the playoffs.

Our RB have been inconsistent at best and lots of injuries in this area.

Bate came into the season thinking he had three cloggers kennedy Adams and warren. How soon those worms turned.. With Adams being the only motivated of the three.

Out DE's are in the Bates mold as is DJ at LB. But they are all newbies at their positions.

All of these were factors in todays game is that not correct?

omac
12-03-2007, 02:40 AM

Easily the BEST post in this thread! :salute:

Retired_Member_001
12-03-2007, 04:11 AM

Doing our best every week wont help us draft a franchise player though. Franchise left tackle, franchise running back, franchise defensive tackle and so on. We could do our best this year, go 7-9 and then not be able to draft a really good player. Positions like offensive tackle and defensive tackle usually HAVE to be taken in the first round and they have to be taken early if they are going to be good.

Now I agree flunking the season wont do Cutler's confidence good.

I think we should go all out next week, but if we lose next week, there is no point playing and we should just go for a high draft pick.

sneakers
12-03-2007, 04:22 AM
I would be upset if we tanked the rest of the season. I want to see wins!!

Retired_Member_001
12-03-2007, 04:31 AM
I would be upset if we tanked the rest of the season. I want to see wins!!

And I want to see Sam Baker! :D

I think we will see two more wins AT THE MOST from us. Might as well go for the draft pick in my opinion.

OB
12-03-2007, 11:45 AM
IMO - No NFL team tanks a season - just because you have a higher pick doesnt mean it will be a franchise player - we all know the top picks are usually QB's - plus with as bad as we are playing and with ou injuries, even at our best - the season doesnt look that good - but to intentionally lose games just aint right and with shanny's pride I cant see that happening

Lonestar
12-03-2007, 12:41 PM
IMO - No NFL team tanks a season - just because you have a higher pick doesnt mean it will be a franchise player - we all know the top picks are usually QB's - plus with as bad as we are playing and with ou injuries, even at our best - the season doesnt look that good - but to intentionally lose games just aint right and with shanny's pride I cant see that happening

there is a difference in tanking and playing all the players to see if they are gonna be able to hack it next year..

Now is that time IMO to find out what we really need to do next year in acquiring players that can indeed so us the way to the promised land..

If there are players that are up and coming now is the time to get them ready for next years run.. Just like mikey did last year bringing Jay on to get him ready for this year playing Scheffler ETC..

topscribe
12-03-2007, 12:53 PM
And I want to see Sam Baker! :D

I think we will see two more wins AT THE MOST from us. Might as well go for the draft pick in my opinion.

Anytime a team takes the field to play a game, the object is to win the game.

About the time the team sandbags games for any reason is the time I stop rooting for them. :coffee:

-----

Watchthemiddle
12-03-2007, 12:59 PM

About the time the team sandbags games for any reason is the time I stop rooting for them. :coffee:

-----

Sandbagging is also the time when critical career ending injuries happen. I believe that there have been players in the NFL maybe even the Broncos that have sand bagged before, but its just out of selfish reasons.

I don't believe TEAMS as a whole sandbag.

Nomad
12-03-2007, 01:10 PM
there is a difference in tanking and playing all the players to see if they are gonna be able to hack it next year..

Now is that time IMO to find out what we really need to do next year in acquiring players that can indeed so us the way to the promised land..

If there are players that are up and coming now is the time to get them ready for next years run.. Just like mikey did last year bringing Jay on to get him ready for this year playing Scheffler ETC..

I agree with this! I would never want to see the BRONCOS simply give up, but seeing what kind of talent Shanahan has on his roster who be a good move.

But if the BRONCOS really think they have a shot at the playoffs I want to see them play like it. The last two games, IMO, they haven't shown it and the Raiders and the Bears aren't better than the BRONCOS.

Watchthemiddle
12-03-2007, 01:16 PM
I agree with this! I would never want to see the BRONCOS simply give up, but seeing what kind of talent Shanahan has on his roster who be a good move.

But if the BRONCOS really think they have a shot at the playoffs I want to see them play like it. The last two games, IMO, they haven't shown it and the Raiders and the Bears aren't better than the BRONCOS.

To add to this...if the Coaches and staff don't know what kind of talent they have after preseason and 12 games into the regular season then they aren't very good at evaluating talent. Hmmm...maybe thats the problem...:confused:

topscribe
12-03-2007, 01:16 PM
Sandbagging is also the time when critical career ending injuries happen. I believe that there have been players in the NFL maybe even the Broncos that have sand bagged before, but its just out of selfish reasons.

I don't believe TEAMS as a whole sandbag.

I was not accusing the Broncos of sandbagging, nor was I suggesting they
would do so. I was responding to apparent implications that they should to
elevate their position in the draft.

-----

Lonestar
12-03-2007, 02:27 PM
To add to this...if the Coaches and staff don't know what kind of talent they have after preseason and 12 games into the regular season then they aren't very good at evaluating talent. Hmmm...maybe thats the problem...:confused:

Many players have not seen alot of time on the field in real time situations..

Lot of the "newly minted" DE's we picked up a couple of weaks ago, come to mind.

However you are correct IMO about evaluation talent.. For almost a decade mikey has stunk it up IMO getting decent draft choices only the past couple of drafts have been decent. I'm not so sure that we have turned the corner there or just got lucky.

I really feel this team needs a professional GM someone that KNOWS talent not just a yes man.

BroncoAV06
12-03-2007, 03:09 PM
Having a bad season will not affect the ability to sign FA in most cases. Broncos are a franchise that is good to players and has a history of compeating and of course a lot of it comes down to money.

As for tanking the season talk about a bad way to build a franchise, lose the support of all the players, definitly would be a place that players would not want to play. Of course that won't happen, just a thought to throw out there for the people who want a high draft pick.

Who really is left to play? Meyers is in at center, Crowder, Thomas are a-part of the rotation on the line, HA is in at safety, Marshall has been the #1 guy since what week 4, Scheff gets action. Who else is left to get action? Harris? Thorw the speacial teams guys in on defense? Some of the guys we signed are depth/role player, might get lucky but most likely you are not going to find someone who will step in a be a consistant player.

At this time hope that the young players learn and understand what work ethic will need to be brought for next season.

Lonestar
12-03-2007, 03:28 PM
Having a bad season will not affect the ability to sign FA in most cases. Broncos are a franchise that is good to players and has a history of compeating and of course a lot of it comes down to money.

As for tanking the season talk about a bad way to build a franchise, lose the support of all the players, definitly would be a place that players would not want to play. Of course that won't happen, just a thought to throw out there for the people who want a high draft pick.

Who really is left to play? Meyers is in at center, Crowder, Thomas are a-part of the rotation on the line, HA is in at safety, Marshall has been the #1 guy since what week 4, Scheff gets action. Who else is left to get action? Harris? Thorw the speacial teams guys in on defense? Some of the guys we signed are depth/role player, might get lucky but most likely you are not going to find someone who will step in a be a consistant player.

At this time hope that the young players learn and understand what work ethic will need to be brought for next season.

Not many players on the second team that are gonna take starting spots away from the existing one However we have to look at them as replacements for those injured guys.

Also see who could be trade bait, and who has the heart and who does not.. We need to look at another LB to replace gold as he is off and on like flashing neon billboard. Even he is is not cut he should be asked to take a huge cut in pay and we should be grooming his replacement.

broncosfanscott
12-03-2007, 09:55 PM
Well, that's about it for the season and as somebody stated, the loss last week to the Bears was really demoralizing and probably had somewhat of an effect yesterday. Anyways, I see us going 2-2 in the remaining games. I know the seaons is over so I would like to see them experience with a few things on the defensive side in preparation for next season.

Retired_Member_001
12-05-2007, 08:24 AM

-----

I see your point Topscribe.

I would hate for the team to just give up. However I would also hate for the team to go 7-9 and be just short of drafting a player who will change the Franchise for good. I know it's possible to find amazing players lower down in the first round or even the entire draft, but the higher you pick (providing you have good scouts) the higher chance the player you draft will be a star.

pnbronco
12-05-2007, 10:08 AM

-----

I agree Tops, I just can't see them doing that. Since things are not good with the hopes so high is it not the time to see what different players are made of? The press has been ugly for awhile now, if they loose these last games without effort I hate to think how bad it will get.

BroncoAV06
12-05-2007, 03:20 PM
I see your point Topscribe.

I would hate for the team to just give up. However I would also hate for the team to go 7-9 and be just short of drafting a player who will change the Franchise for good. I know it's possible to find amazing players lower down in the first round or even the entire draft, but the higher you pick (providing you have good scouts) the higher chance the player you draft will be a star.

Problem is the Broncos are not great but they are not bad enough to get that high. Consistantly bad then yes they would be a top 10 draft team but the Broncos have put together a few really good games which puts them just outside of the so called franchise changer.

A star or productive player? Drafting is not all about top ten pick, its about scouting and yes at times luck. One player in the top 10 will not turn us around and take us to the Super Bowl. A qaulity draft class with the team bringing along its players from the past year, melding in with the Vets, etc.. Its a whole organizational effort. Did Reggie Bush turn around the Saints? IMO no. Or was it Drew Brees, Colston emerging, and the play calling of Payton last year....