PDA

View Full Version : I took up curling this year

MileHighCrew
01-20-2015, 01:19 PM
So I suffer from the winter blues pretty bad, to the point I have had to see doctors and I have a special light I use to simulate summer and makes you feel happy.
This year I decided to take up curling, I hadn't really played the sport in my life but I enjoy it on TV and I wanted to try it.
WOW, I love playing this game. It isn't a hard workout but much more so active then say golfing which I also love. All the plotting and strategy really reminds my of my time playing and coaching football.

I'm interested to hear if anyone else plays curling or is interested in the sport? I know it isn't that popular but it really is a lot of fun.

- Good Curling!!!

chazoe60
01-20-2015, 01:21 PM
Your hair?

BroncoNut
01-20-2015, 01:22 PM
I've seen it on tv and I am interested in it now. that's where they scrub the ice isn't it? I think I will look into trying it maybe. there's an ice rink in the town I live in.

chazoe60
01-20-2015, 01:22 PM
On a serious note: for reasons I can't quite figure out when Curling is on tv (you know once every four years) I can't take my eyes off of it.

MileHighCrew
01-20-2015, 01:24 PM

tubby
01-20-2015, 01:25 PM
Meanwhile in Canada...

BroncoWave
01-20-2015, 01:25 PM
I LOVE watching curling on TV. I have been wanting to play it for years. Seems like a ton of fun.

MileHighCrew
01-20-2015, 01:26 PM
On a serious note: for reasons I can't quite figure out when Curling is on tv (you know once every four years) I can't take my eyes off of it.

We are pretty spoiled in Canada we get a lot of curling on TV. The mens (the brier) and womans (the tournament of hearts) national championship and world championship all my years growning up. More recently they started showing a lot of skins games and other games. There is a new tournament (bonspeil) on each week it seems.

Dreadnought
01-20-2015, 01:27 PM
Meanwhile in Canada...

I love MHC like a brother, but my God he is a Canadian, isn't he?

MHC, do you have a think McKenzie bros. accent?

Buff
01-20-2015, 01:27 PM
I don't mean to brag, but I'm a pretty awesome shuffle board player, and a former hockey player - so it's pretty likely that I would dominate this sport.

I would recruit some women to work the brooms. :elefant:

MileHighCrew
01-20-2015, 01:28 PM
I LOVE watching curling on TV. I have been wanting to play it for years. Seems like a ton of fun.

It really is, and I was surprised how you can kind of pick it up and play with better players pretty quickly. Of course you look new and fall on the ice and look like an ass, but curlers seem very welcoming and willing to give tips.

BroncoNut
01-20-2015, 01:29 PM
Meanwhile in Canada...

do you ever have anything non smart-alecy to say? like can you just pretend to be nice for once? and shame on you posters that saluted this post. especically the mod, you know who I'm talking about

MileHighCrew
01-20-2015, 01:29 PM
I love MHC like a brother, but my God he is a Canadian, isn't he?

MHC, do you have a think McKenzie bros. accent?

whatcha talkin aboot eh!!!!

lol when I was in Afghanistan, my American working partner talked about how American I seem and how I watch too much NFL lol. perspective.

MileHighCrew
01-20-2015, 01:30 PM
I don't mean to brag, but I'm a pretty awesome shuffle board player, and a former hockey player - so it's pretty likely that I would dominate this sport.

I would recruit some women to work the brooms. :elefant:

google images "woman of curling" then just say thank you

MileHighCrew
01-20-2015, 01:31 PM
do you ever have anything non smart-alecy to say? like can you just pretend to be nice for once? and shame on you posters that saluted this post. especically the mod, you know who I'm talking about

lol I saluted it. I'm a canadian mod, shame on me lol..... all good nut,

BroncoNut
01-20-2015, 01:32 PM
lol I saluted it. I'm a canadian mod, shame on me lol..... all good nut,

where do you get the brooms for curling? is there a curling supply store?

MileHighCrew
01-20-2015, 01:37 PM
where do you get the brooms for curling? is there a curling supply store?

There is. I used goldlinecurling.com (brooms start at about $100 and up too $400) but every club I know of has free brooms and sliders for people to use. A lot of clubs offer free days to try it too, like I said it isn't really popular so they really help you out if you want to try it.

Pudge
01-20-2015, 01:44 PM
What's the goal of the sport? How do you score?

MileHighCrew
01-20-2015, 01:48 PM
What's the goal of the sport? How do you score?

Each team throws 8 rocks alternating per round (called ends). The closest to the middle scores and the more you have closer to the middle the more you score. So you can score many points in each time down the ice or each end. There are 10 ends in a game. You toss a coin at the start of the game, like football. You want last shot. Everytime you score you go first the next end. So if you shoot last you want minimum 2 points or you try to blank the end so no one scores.

tubby
01-20-2015, 01:52 PM
Can you drink beer during the match?

MileHighCrew
01-20-2015, 01:53 PM

yes, that is encourage in some clubs.

MileHighCrew
01-20-2015, 01:55 PM
but I fall enough, so I don't drink lol.

BroncoNut
01-20-2015, 02:05 PM
what footwear is required or suggested? do you need to be a good athlete to participate?

MileHighCrew
01-20-2015, 02:07 PM
what footwear is required or suggested? do you need to be a good athlete to participate?

they have curling shoes but they are $200 +. I just wear running shoes and a slip on slider when I shoot.
No, they have people of all ages and athletic abilities playing it.

weazel
01-20-2015, 02:09 PM
So I suffer from the winter blues pretty bad, to the point I have had to see doctors and I have a special light I use to simulate summer and makes you feel happy.
This year I decided to take up curling, I hadn't really played the sport in my life but I enjoy it on TV and I wanted to try it.
WOW, I love playing this game. It isn't a hard workout but much more so active then say golfing which I also love. All the plotting and strategy really reminds my of my time playing and coaching football.

I'm interested to hear if anyone else plays curling or is interested in the sport? I know it isn't that popular but it really is a lot of fun.

- Good Curling!!!

my sister in law plays for the NWT champs, they come within a couple wins of going to the Olympics.
I have thought about playing it a few times but just haven't yet. Seems fun. For those that are knocking it, if you like beer drinking games curling is the epitomy.

Here's a good stat that will probably answer your question about how many people have played the game from this forum... there are 1.8 million people that curl worldwide, 1.3 of those are from Canada.

MileHighCrew
01-20-2015, 02:11 PM
NWT champs, that is impressive!!!

MOtorboat
01-20-2015, 02:13 PM
Bocci ball on ice.

weazel
01-20-2015, 02:16 PM

curling is more about drinking beer than playing a sport.

tubby
01-20-2015, 02:18 PM

I've suspected as much. :beer:

MileHighCrew
01-20-2015, 02:18 PM
Bocci ball on ice.

I have finished many bottles of rum playing bocci while camping.

MileHighCrew
01-20-2015, 02:20 PM

I wouldn't agree with that from my short time there. There is beer drinking sure and the winning team buys the losing team a drink after the game, but I don't see many people drinking while playing.

BroncoNut
01-20-2015, 02:24 PM
I really feel like you've been honest and forthright in fielding our questions MHC. I just may give this curling thing a try

MileHighCrew
01-20-2015, 02:27 PM
I really feel like you've been honest and forthright in fielding our questions MHC. I just may give this curling thing a try

lol I wasn't sure even one person would post in this thread, but I do suffer from winter blues and I found that has been helping me so I thought I'd share. Plus when you find something you enjoy you want to share that with people and maybe they will enjoy it too. I am far form an expert but I would recommend anyone interested go down to the local club and try it. Nothing to lose but a lot of fun out there.

BroncoNut
01-20-2015, 02:28 PM
did the lights work for you MHC?

MileHighCrew
01-20-2015, 02:31 PM
did the lights work for you MHC?

I don't know. i didn't really find much of a difference. I took Vitamin D too and maybe that helped a little. It is a strange feeling.

BroncoNut
01-20-2015, 02:32 PM
I don't know. i didn't really find much of a difference. I took Vitamin D too and maybe that helped a little. It is a strange feeling.

what is a strange feeling? the seasonal depression or the vitamin D effect?

MileHighCrew
01-20-2015, 02:34 PM
what is a strange feeling? the seasonal depression or the vitamin D effect?

seasonal depression. Every year I know it is coming and can't stop it. It is like watching someone run out the clock in football and you can't stop them

BroncoNut
01-20-2015, 02:37 PM
seasonal depression. Every year I know it is coming and can't stop it. It is like watching someone run out the clock in football and you can't stop them

I had a bad bout this year starting late fall and into the holidays.

Bronco9798
01-20-2015, 02:38 PM
Ekaterina Galkina, Curling Russia – This sexy Russian is a 3 time Olympian and makes brushing a little stone over ice oh so sexy.

MileHighCrew
01-20-2015, 02:38 PM
I had a bad bout this year starting late fall and into the holidays.

I'm always mid Jan till March, every year.

MileHighCrew
01-20-2015, 02:41 PM
check out russian team skip. I'd post but it could quickly turn into hot girl thread, then I'd have to move it lol

weazel
01-20-2015, 02:50 PM
check out russian team skip. I'd post but it could quickly turn into hot girl thread, then I'd have to move it lol

create a hot curling chick thread or a hot olympic athlete thread

MileHighCrew
01-20-2015, 03:04 PM
create a hot curling chick thread or a hot olympic athlete thread

For you
http://www.broncosforums.com/forums/showthread.php/596098-hot-curling-chick-thread-or-a-hot-olympic-athlete-as-suggested-by-weazel?p=2306330#post2306330