PDA

View Full Version : C.J. Anderson: Gary Kubiak's scheme fits Broncos well

Denver Native (Carol)
01-20-2015, 11:46 AM
Questions abound as to whether an aging Peyton Manning will fit inside Gary Kubiak's play-action, boot-heavy offense.

At least one Broncos running back, though, can't wait to get rolling with his new coach's scheme.

"I have known about his system for a while, and what he accomplished," C.J. Anderson said of Kubiak, per The Denver Post. "One cut downhill and go get it. It fits me and the offense well. It's always been successful. He knows the team we have and what we can do. I can't wait to get started working with him."

rest - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000461032/article/cj-anderson-gary-kubiaks-scheme-fits-broncos-well

G_Money
01-20-2015, 11:55 AM
CJ can see that payday in his future with 2 years in this system (allowing for health, obviously). :D I'm very happy for him. Here's hoping our defense stays among the best scoring squads, and CJ gets a lot of opportunities to grind out 2nd halves for us and salt away victories.

Lancane
01-20-2015, 11:56 AM
I know CJ Anderson came on strong, but don't be surprised come the season if Denver has two 1,000 yard rushers in Anderson and Ball, even Hillman might break out in that offense. Key will be the fullback position, not many good FB's in the draft and even those available in Free Agency, most are in their 30's.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-20-2015, 12:00 PM
I know CJ Anderson came on strong, but don't be surprised come the season if Denver has two 1,000 yard rushers in Anderson and Ball, even Hillman might break out in that offense. Key will be the fullback position, not many good FB's in the draft and even those available in Free Agency, most are in their 30's.

I think Thompson might be a good choice. He has the build for it, supposedly has a high football iq, can also run and catch.

Rick
01-20-2015, 12:05 PM
I think Thompson might be a good choice. He has the build for it, supposedly has a high football iq, can also run and catch.

That is what I expect as well, FB with the ability to catch and do some running as well.

Lancane
01-20-2015, 12:07 PM

He doesn't really have the size Al, the average weight at fullback is what...240lbs.? And on average they tend to be closer to 6'0 plus. No, IMHO Thompson along with Ball, Anderson and Hillman will remain our running back stable.

Denver is likely to get three if not four compensation picks, don't be surprised if Denver signs a free agent and drafts a kid at the position.

Rick
01-20-2015, 12:22 PM
He doesn't really have the size Al, the average weight at fullback is what...240lbs.? And on average they tend to be closer to 6'0 plus. No, IMHO Thompson along with Ball, Anderson and Hillman will remain our running back stable.

Denver is likely to get three if not four compensation picks, don't be surprised if Denver signs a free agent and drafts a kid at the position.

That is a good point, for some reason I thought Thompson was bigger than he is.

CoachChaz
01-20-2015, 12:30 PM
Just out of curiosity...who is Baltimore's fullback that gets so much playing time? How about Houston's fullback in 2011?

Lancane
01-20-2015, 12:36 PM
Just out of curiosity...who is Baltimore's fullback that gets so much playing time? How about Houston's fullback in 2011?

James Casey was the fullback in Houston, well TE/Fullback, he is 6'4, 240lbs. I believe. As for Baltimore that would be Kyle Juszczyk who stands at 6'1 and 248lbs.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-20-2015, 12:38 PM
They list Thompson at 6' 225, but he looks closer to 240 than 225

Lancane
01-20-2015, 12:43 PM
They list Thompson at 6' 225, but he looks closer to 240 than 225

Anderson looks bigger then he is too. We have to remember that a Fullback in most cases is another pulling guard to either block for the ball carrier or to protect the quarterback, the glory of the position is relatively non-existent anymore.

TXBRONC
01-20-2015, 12:45 PM
James Casey was the fullback in Houston, well TE/Fullback, he is 6'4, 240lbs. I believe. As for Baltimore that would be Kyle Juszczyk who stands at 6'1 and 248lbs.

Is either one of them going to be a free agent? Getting the Ravens fullback would be humorous.

GEM
01-20-2015, 12:46 PM
CJ can see that payday in his future with 2 years in this system (allowing for health, obviously). :D I'm very happy for him. Here's hoping our defense stays among the best scoring squads, and CJ gets a lot of opportunities to grind out 2nd halves for us and salt away victories.

It will be interesting to see how Kubes treats the CJ/Ball/Hillman stuff since CJ earned his place, not based on draft position.

Buff
01-20-2015, 12:49 PM
I'll be interested to see if/how Montee Ball bounces back next year. He is very familiar with the zone blocking scheme and should benefit from the change in systems. I had high hopes for him this year and he's another guy where it's hard to know if he's just a step slow or if he was a step slow due to battling injuries all year.

Lancane
01-20-2015, 12:50 PM
Is either one of them going to be a free agent? Getting the Ravens fullback would be humorous.

No, neither one is. Jerome Felton of the Vikings is, he'd be a good signing. Others to look at would be John Conner of the Jets and Henry Hynoski of the Giants.

TXBRONC
01-20-2015, 12:54 PM
No, neither one is. Jerome Felton of the Vikings is, he'd be a good signing. Others to look at would be John Conner of the Jets and Henry Hynoski of the Giants.

I'm looking forward to seeing what Kubiak does.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-20-2015, 01:21 PM
Anderson looks bigger then he is too. We have to remember that a Fullback in most cases is another pulling guard to either block for the ball carrier or to protect the quarterback, the glory of the position is relatively non-existent anymore.

Well, Anderson doesn't look as thick as Thompson and he's 3 inches shorter. They list CJ at 220. I don't see how he's only 5 pounds lighter.

Lancane
01-20-2015, 01:23 PM
Well, Anderson doesn't look as thick as Thompson and he's 3 inches shorter. They list CJ at 220. I don't see how he's only 5 pounds lighter.

Tighter muscle mass compared to bulk. We know muscle weighs more then fat, so Thompson likely has a higher fat percentage then Anderson.

chazoe60
01-20-2015, 01:44 PM
We know muscle weighs more then fat

Exactly why I'm so heavy

Joel
01-20-2015, 05:12 PM
There was some preseason talk (at least here) of Thompson playing FB, but I wouldn't be surprised if we see a CJ/Thompson one-two analogous to Foster/Tate in Houston. Both the latter are >220 (though Foster's a tall 225 by RB standards, standing 6'1" according to NFL.com.) And I've still seen more ability and versatility from them than from Hillman, much less Ball. Sure, Ball had the appendectomy early and got hurt later, but I've never seen him do a good job of finding holes, which'll be more important than ever if we go to a ZBS as most people expect.

For what it's worth, a CJ/Thompson rotation might be better than Foster/Tate; Foster's the real deal and Kubiak (eventually, from necessity) brought Tate to Baltimore, but in Houston he was always one of those guys who got respectable gains in the system but really made you miss the starter. Kinda like the difference between Terrell Davis or Clinton Portis and Mike Anderson: Hard worker with decent performance, but always leaves you wondering how much more a true star would accomplish with the same opportunity.

Tighter muscle mass compared to bulk. We know muscle weighs more then fat, so Thompson likely has a higher fat percentage then Anderson.
Then he ought to look thicker (because muscle's denser than fat,) especially with 3" less height. Thompson's a bruiser, make no mistake; it's one of the many things I like about him, and that preseason comment about wanting to MAKE hits rather than receive them, and make tacklers flinch next time. Not a bad trait in a FB though either.