View Full Version : Browns returner Cribbs to test coverage Units

TXBRONC
09-17-2009, 09:08 AM
http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13353993

Browns returner Cribbs to test coverage Units
By Jeff Legwold
The Denver Post
Posted: 09/17/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

In many ways it amounts to walking a tightrope. Broncos punter Brett Kern and the team's coverage units could do everything right Sunday, but Cleveland's returner, Joshua Cribbs, could still erase it all.

"It doesn't take much for him to take what looks like a tough situation, a bad situation for him and turn it into something good for his team," Kern said. "I have to strive for perfection, give great kicks, have great coverage and not make mistakes."

Kern had an up-and-down day in Cincinnati on Sunday, with two kicks down inside the Bengals' 15-yard line and a third inside the 20.

However, he also had limited hang time in spots, and had a 28-yard punt with the Broncos backed up in their end of the field early in the third quarter.

Cribbs had a 67-yard punt return for a touchdown against the Vikings last Sunday, tying him with Eric Metcalf for the team record with seven return scores in his career.

"He'll try to go get balls most guys wouldn't, and he'll lose ground sometimes to try and gain ground," Kern said. "That's a great returner."

"He's the best in the league, in my opinion, him and (the Bears' Devin) Hester are guys, when they touch the ball — I don't care if it's on offense or in the kicking game — you've got a chance to score," Broncos coach Josh McDaniels said. "Very explosive player, hard to tackle, great vision and awareness in the return game. . . . One of the most dangerous players we'll play all year, no doubt about that."

Rewards program.

Three Broncos players were sporting black jerseys at Wednesday's practice, in recognition of their efforts in the days leading up to last Sunday's regular-season opener in Cincinnati.

Outside linebackers Darrell Reid and Jarvis Moss, as well as quarterback Tom Brandstater, had the jerseys on, in being lauded by the coaching staff for their work. Moss was inactive for the game, while Brandstater was designated as the team's No. 3 quarterback. Reid finished with a sack in the game.

A little review.

With the Browns expected to show the wildcat formation this week — Cribbs took two direct snaps in it when the Browns were near the Vikings' goal line this past Sunday — the Broncos went over a Bengals direct snap.

On a fourth-and-2 in the first quarter Sunday, the Broncos sent out their punt return unit, but the Bengals had a more offensive look in the formation with running back Brian Leonard lined up deep.

Leonard took the direct snap and gained 5 yards for the first down.

"I take full blame on that," McDaniels said. "We actually weren't lined up poorly on the play and we had a chance to stop the play, we didn't exactly have the people out there on the field we would have put out there . . . We did a decent job of it. We didn't make the play."

Footnotes.

Broncos cornerback Champ Bailey (ankle) and safety Brian Dawkins (hand) did not participate in Wednesday's practice. Both were in the locker room and took part in meetings. ... Defensive lineman Le Kevin Smith, who had not practiced since early in training camp because of a left knee injury, took part on a limited basis, but left the field only a few minutes into the workout. . . . Safety Josh Barrett (shoulder) returned to practice. . . . The Broncos worked out three players this week, including punter Britton Colquitt, who was with the team throughout the preseason. Punter Justin Brantly and guard Brandon Crummey were the other two. . . . Browns coach Eric Mangini was fined $25,000 by the NFL for his part in the Jets not listing quarterback Brett Favre on the injury report last season. Mangini was the Jets coach last season. Favre said in the preseason that he played all last season with a shoulder injury. The Jets were fined $75,000. Asked on a conference call about the issue, Mangini said, "What I can say is it's a league matter, and there's nothing I can add to that."