PDA

View Full Version : Gary Kubiak adds Rick Dennison, Brian Pariani to Broncos' coaching staff

Denver Native (Carol)
01-19-2015, 05:46 PM
some things from article:

Gary Kubiak is packing his bags with one hand, and using his phone to hire coaches with the other.

The Broncos' new coach has hired Rick Dennison to be his offensive coordinator and Brian Pariani as his tight ends coach, according to two NFL sources.

Pariani was the Houston Texans' tight ends coach during Kubiak's entire head coaching term there from 2006-13. Pariani then followed Kubiak to Baltimore last season.

That does not mean, however, Broncos tight ends coach Clancy Barone is out of a job. The Broncos may try to retain Barone as an offensive line coach. Barone taught the zone-block running scheme to offensive linemen and tight ends in Atlanta with Michael Vick at quarterback from 2004-06.

The Broncos also want to retain receiver coach Tyke Tolbert. Don't be surprised if the Broncos also bring back zone-blocking guru Alex Gibbs as a coaching consultant.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27349930/gary-kubiak-adds-rick-dennison-brian-pariani-broncos

Denver Native (Carol)
01-19-2015, 05:47 PM
from same article:

Broncos quarterbacks coach Greg Knapp is also well-schooled in the Kubiak-Dennison offense and he would have the chance to stay. However, Knapp and Broncos offensive coordinator Adam Gase are both under consideration to replace Kubiak as the Ravens' offensive coordinator.

Broncos special teams coordinator Jeff Rodgers and assistant secondary coach Sam Garnes have been hired by new Chicago Bears and former Broncos head coach John Fox. Broncos defensive backs coach Cory Undlin is expected to take the same position with the Philadelphia Eagles.

Broncos linebackers coach Richard Smith was Kubiak's defensive coordinator in Houston from 2004-06, but Smith was also fired from that role. Smith does have multiple offers elsewhere, but he may also have a chance to stay with the Broncos.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27349930/gary-kubiak-adds-rick-dennison-brian-pariani-broncos

weazel
01-19-2015, 05:49 PM
trying to get a coaching staff with a zone blocking pedigree.

Manning done?

Lancane
01-19-2015, 06:09 PM
Hoping we hear more about defensive staff soon.

MileHighCrew
01-19-2015, 06:18 PM
Hoping we hear more about defensive staff soon.

as long as it is Schwartz...... :)

Slick
01-19-2015, 06:26 PM
Thanks for the updates, Carol.

chazoe60
01-19-2015, 06:36 PM
Any word on Studesville?

Joel
01-19-2015, 06:39 PM
Note to Orange Julius' agent: If you expect your guy to get paid like a top WR, he better start blocking as well as Owen Daniels and Joel Dreesen did for Kubes and Pariani in Houston. This could be the best OR worst thing that ever happened to his career, but if SF trims their cap by cutting Vernon Davis and we give him the money Thomas wants it won't break my heart.

Interesting dynamic if we keep Richard Smith as LB coach but hire Vance Joseph as DC; much like Shanny working for Elway, I'd expect a first time DC working for the guy fired as HIS DC could get awkward. Then again, so might Wade Phillips coming back to the team that fired him in favor of Shanny, but I still hold faint hope of that.

trying to get a coaching staff with a zone blocking pedigree.

Manning done?
That doesn't follow, but the reality is Manning turns 39 in a month and a half, so he's probably done soon no matter what.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-19-2015, 06:44 PM
Any word on Studesville?

Haven't found anything yet. I certainly hope they keep him.

Lancane
01-19-2015, 06:49 PM
Haven't found anything yet. I certainly hope they keep him.

Studdesville who has a long history with John Fox could well follow him to Chicago, but there is a chance he stays as well. Don't forget that Bobby Turner doesn't currently have a position in the league and his pedigree in Denver is unquestionable, he could be in the mix as could Chick Harris who was the Texans Running Back Coach under Kubiak.

DenBronx
01-19-2015, 07:19 PM
So, were trying to bring back the glory days by getting the band back together? Times have changed but this just might work...

Lancane
01-19-2015, 07:33 PM
So, were trying to bring back the glory days by getting the band back together? Times have changed but this just might work...

Not sure it will be the old band or a combination of a couple. I do expect some new blood never associated with Denver to come in...likely on the defensive side of the ball. But this will be a homecoming for a good portion of the staff nonetheless.

TXBRONC
01-19-2015, 07:38 PM
Studdesville who has a long history with John Fox could well follow him to Chicago, but there is a chance he stays as well. Don't forget that Bobby Turner doesn't currently have a position in the league and his pedigree in Denver is unquestionable, he could be in the mix as could Chick Harris who was the Texans Running Back Coach under Kubiak.

I would love to have Bobby Turner back.

Simple Jaded
01-21-2015, 05:04 PM
Does all this mean the Broncos might actually have a FB?

I think all of Denver's RBs are better suited to the ZBS, it's almost as if they've been drafting for this system for a couple years. I've always thought Hillman's style reminds me of Clinton Portis, not talent level, just style.

TXBRONC
01-21-2015, 05:39 PM

I think all of Denver's RBs are better suited to the ZBS, it's almost as if they've been drafting for this system for a couple years. I've always thought Hillman's style reminds me of Clinton Portis, not talent level, just style.

As much as assuming is usually dangerous I've been assuming Denver will carry at least one fullback.

Bosco
02-11-2015, 06:23 PM

I wouldn't count on it. Two back offenses are basically relics in the current NFL and no one in their right mind would move away from 13 personnel as a base package when you have Manning taking snaps.

Ravage!!!
02-11-2015, 06:27 PM
I wouldn't count on it. Two back offenses are basically relics in the current NFL and no one in their right mind would move away from 13 personnel as a base package when you have Manning taking snaps.

Hey, speaking of Patriots fans....

I saw several teams in the playoffs using FBs. I noted this, because King tried to tell me that FBs aren't used in the NFL anymore, yet, their they were.

FanInAZ
02-11-2015, 07:15 PM
The Seahawks put 1 in front of Lynch on a regular basis, Cowboys do the same thing for Murray. Teams are finally figuring out that you can't force every QB to play like Brady, Manning, etc. So if they don't have a great QB, but they do have a great RB, then you build your O around your RB. Unless your HC is Andy Reed, then you keep forgetting that you have a great RB & your QB isn't Brady, Manning, etc.

Simple Jaded
02-11-2015, 09:53 PM

Kubiak uses a FB.

NightTrainLayne
02-11-2015, 10:34 PM

13 personnel? That's gotta be a typo.

Simple Jaded
02-11-2015, 10:45 PM

Jumbo package, you'd be a fool to run anything else with Manning.

TXBRONC
02-11-2015, 11:56 PM
Kubiak uses a FB.

Yep he sure does.

Bosco
02-12-2015, 04:24 PM

Not a typo, just me having a brain fart and mixing up my numbers. Good catch, though.

I saw several teams in the playoffs using FBs. I noted this, because King tried to tell me that FBs aren't used in the NFL anymore, yet, their they were.

Makes sense, since Seattle, Dallas and Baltimore were all in and that is basically the entirety of NFL teams that make anything resembling regular use of 21 personnel. Seattle is a bit of a misnomer though as their designated fullback only played 44 snaps last year. Turbin took most of the 21 personnel snaps and he is a running back.

The Seahawks put 1 in front of Lynch on a regular basis, Cowboys do the same thing for Murray. Teams are finally figuring out that you can't force every QB to play like Brady, Manning, etc. So if they don't have a great QB, but they do have a great RB, then you build your O around your RB. Unless your HC is Andy Reed, then you keep forgetting that you have a great RB & your QB isn't Brady, Manning, etc.

That's always been true, but extra tight ends have replaced fullbacks because they are exceptionally more versatile than fullbacks while being able to do everything a fullback can do. That is what you're likely to see here in Denver, as Virgil Green is basically a modern day Daniel Graham. Expect to see more 12 than 21 personnel with Green sometimes lining up in the backfield.

Kubiak uses a FB.

Depends on which iteration of Kubiak's offense you are talking about? His first couple years in Houston? Yes, they used their fullback regularly. After that they moved to a more modern offense that moved between 12 and 11 personnel groupings for a base. In fact, the 2013 Texans didn't even have a designated fullback on their roster as far as I can see.

Last year with the Ravens their fullback played 44% of the offensive snaps, but he is also a converted tight end who lines up as out of the backfield as well. I don't know that anyone compiles numbers on how many snaps he took in the backfield, but from the Ravens games I watched I'd estimate it to be a half to a a third.

TXBRONC
02-16-2015, 01:05 PM
Hey, speaking of Patriots fans....

The fact is Kubiak has always used a fullback in his offensive system and there is little reason not to believe he won't use one Denver's offense.

Lancane
02-16-2015, 01:10 PM
The fact is Kubiak has always used a fullback in his offensive system and there is little reason to believe he won't use one Denver's offense.

Agreed, even if it's a converted tight end or true fullback, I don't see him moving forward without someone in that capacity.

NightTerror218
02-16-2015, 01:14 PM
Packers use a FB too....KUHN!!!!!!!

He is also a FA.

I think we will get one. A lot of teams also have good blocked TEs...we have Julious....yah

TXBRONC
02-16-2015, 03:17 PM
Packers use a FB too....KUHN!!!!!!!

He is also a FA.

I think we will get one. A lot of teams also have good blocked TEs...we have Julious....yah

I would be a little surprised if Denver didn't bring in at least one fullback.

Simple Jaded
02-16-2015, 03:47 PM
So, the Ravens used a FB 44% of the snaps = Kubiak uses a FB. I asked if we'd have a FB and you said not to count on it, sounds like 44% of the time they'll use a FB everytime. Savvy?

#CharlesClay.

Ziggy
02-16-2015, 04:04 PM
I think the Broncos will have a fullback on the roster. We may not see him much outside of first downs and short yardage situations, but I think he'll be used. I'm excited about it.

TXBRONC
02-16-2015, 04:09 PM
I think the Broncos will have a fullback on the roster. We may not see him much outside of first downs and short yardage situations, but I think he'll be used. I'm excited about it.

If Denver is using a fullback 44% of the time that's going to be more than being on the field more than just first downs and short yardage situations.

Bosco
02-18-2015, 02:17 PM
So, the Ravens used a FB 44% of the snaps = Kubiak uses a FB. I asked if we'd have a FB and you said not to count on it, sounds like 44% of the time they'll use a FB everytime. Savvy?

#CharlesClay.

Clearly, you couldn't understand what I posted.

Lancane
02-18-2015, 03:49 PM
Even if Kubiak's base offense has evolved into a more modern offensive base set, there are parts of the origin base (Ohio River) within the current system or it would be an entire new offensive system. Bosco is correct that Houston deviated that last couple years under Kubiak away from a two back set using a true fullback, it was a tight end who took on that role which allowed them to a little more flexibility with the overall system, the reason is that WCO while considered a run first offense utilizes short passes to spread the offense allowing greater gains via the run and pass, having a more utilitarian player in such a role allows them to mask the offensive plays at a much higher percentage then having an actual fullback, and while Baltimore used a fullback 44% of the time, there were times when tight ends were asked to drop back to be used in a similar fashion.

It really depends on Kubiak and Dennison on which version of the West Coast they wish to instill, but with Manning at quarterback the modern that Kubiak uses might make more sense.

TXBRONC
02-19-2015, 04:18 PM
Even if Kubiak's base offense has evolved into a more modern offensive base set, there are parts of the origin base (Ohio River) within the current system or it would be an entire new offensive system. Bosco is correct that Houston deviated that last couple years under Kubiak away from a two back set using a true fullback, it was a tight end who took on that role which allowed them to a little more flexibility with the overall system, the reason is that WCO while considered a run first offense utilizes short passes to spread the offense allowing greater gains via the run and pass, having a more utilitarian player in such a role allows them to mask the offensive plays at a much higher percentage then having an actual fullback, and while Baltimore used a fullback 44% of the time, there were times when tight ends were asked to drop back to be used in a similar fashion.

It really depends on Kubiak and Dennison on which version of the West Coast they wish to instill, but with Manning at quarterback the modern that Kubiak uses might make more sense.

If I not mistaken about the same time Kubiak started using a tight end in place of a fullback was about the time they lost their fullback to free agency. That aside, Jaded's point was that Kubiak continues to use a fullback in his offense extent may have diminished but the fact is he still uses one.

Simple Jaded
02-19-2015, 11:12 PM
Clearly, you couldn't understand what I posted.

To be honest I didn't but both Elway and Kubiak said they'll use a FB. So, nany, nany, boo, boo, stick your head in doo doo...t('_')....

Lancane
02-20-2015, 02:47 AM
To be honest I didn't but both Elway and Kubiak said they'll use a FB. So, nany, nany, boo, boo, stick your head in doo doo...t('_')....

And on that note... :lol:

TXBRONC
02-20-2015, 07:27 AM

That's telling him. :lol: