PDA

View Full Version : Orton, offense look to fix mistakes

TXBRONC
09-17-2009, 08:58 AM
While I don't think that Orton is a long term solution I will give this he seems to be trying to get things corrected.

http://www.denverpost.com/premium/broncos/ci_13353929

Orton, offense look to fix mistakes
By Lindsay H. Jones
The Denver Post
Posted: 09/17/2009 01:00:00 AM MDT

Broncos quarterback Kyle Orton again donned a glove on his right throwing hand Wednesday as the Broncos returned to practice.

Orton, and the rest of the Broncos offense, faced the odd challenge of harnessing momentum from the final seconds of Sunday's exhilarating victory at Cincinnati while shaking off the rust that left the offense sputtering for much of four quarters.

"After a win, there is no better time to be extremely critical of your play," Orton said. "It's the best time to do it — you're feeling good, now go back and be overly critical of your play. Expect perfection and try to go back and carry it over to the practice field with your guys."

The film sessions were not exactly fun in recent days at Dove Valley, at least in the offensive meeting rooms.

"It was hard to watch. We didn't really do anything positive," tight end Daniel Graham said. "There were a lot of situations where we've got to learn from, corrections that we have to make."

Tape from the Cincinnati game reminded players not of the 87-yard tipped-pass touchdown catch by Brandon Stokley with 11 seconds remaining, but of the five possessions that ended without a first down and of the team's failure to advance beyond Cincinnati's 30-yard line until that final score.

There also was video evidence of the four offensive penalties (and another, a chop block by Knowshon Moreno that was declined), the five dropped passes and the three sacks, including one that killed a fourth-quarter drive as the Broncos were moving into field-goal range.

"You are never at your peak after Week 1," coach Josh McDaniels said. "Our players saw that on the film on Monday, and we have got to get better."

Yet no players or coaches Wednesday said they believed the issues that stunted the team's offense in Cincinnati were major. A caught pass here, or the elimination of a procedural or holding penalty there, and things could have been much different, Orton said.

"I think we easily left, if you go back and watch the tape, we left 150 to 200 yards of offense on the field," Orton said.

And Orton pointed to several positives, namely, the nine-play drive that ended with a field goal in the final play in the first half and the fact that the offense did not turn the ball over. Orton had thrown four interceptions in the preseason.

"In the NFL, if you give the other teams more possessions than you, it's tough to win. That's just a fact," Orton said.

Orton rarely took a shot down the field — and the 87-yard touchdown doesn't count — but didn't think he was playing it safe.

The Broncos' plane home from Cincinnati landed in Denver in time for players to catch the final portion of the game between Chicago and Green Bay, in which Jay Cutler threw a career-high four interceptions.

Orton, who played four years in Chicago, said he watched.

"Jay's a good quarterback and I'm sure he made some decisions that I'm sure, looking back, he didn't want to make, but that's how it goes," Orton said. "I'm sure he's not going to pull off the trigger. He's going to keep making the throws to win the game."

Orton intends to do the same.

"I certainly don't go in playing scared or anything. I go in thinking I'm going to make the right decisions," Orton said.

Orton wore the glove for Wednesday's practice even though he had stitches removed from his index finger. He's hoping the finger will feel good enough that he can play barehanded against the Browns on Sunday afternoon.

"It's just not what I've done for my entire life, so I'd rather play without it," Orton said.

Lindsay H. Jones: 303-954-1262 or ljones@denverpost.com

LRtagger
09-17-2009, 09:40 AM
He is not playing great, but you can't deny that he has improved every week since preseason started. I hope he continues to work hard and improve.

Lonestar
09-17-2009, 09:41 AM
While he might not be the long term solution at qb.

I'm at least willing to give him a chance without naysaying every move he makes.

IMHO he is a breath of fresh air at QB willing to talk openly with reporters and as of now not throen anyone under the bus. Accepts responsibility for his actions.

Sent via Blackberry.

T.K.O.
09-17-2009, 10:42 AM
it only stands to reason that the entire team WILL continue to improve,learning a whole new scheme can and should take several games, if not a couple seasons to really get comfortable in.
unfortunatelt we live in a "microwave" society....we gdont want to take the time to pop our own popcorn on the stove and melt the butter etc.... but it tastes sooooo much better when we do !
that being said 10 years feels like a long time to wait for popcorn,so i have mixed feelings:D
with our schedule lets hope the kernels are in the pan and the oil is getting hot !.....i'll get the butter:salute: