PDA

View Full Version : The Snake endorses Kubiak signing

Jsteve01
01-18-2015, 09:28 PM
http:// http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=denver-broncos&id=11533&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B"ref"%3A"http%3A%2F%2Fwww.itsalloverfatman.com%2Fprime-cuts%2Fslice%2Fkubiaks-departure-brought-jake-plummer-to-tears"%7D (http:// http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blogpost?blogname=denver-broncos&id=11533&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B"ref"%3A"http%3A%2F%2Fwww.itsalloverfatman.com%2Fprime-cuts%2Fslice%2Fkubiaks-departure-dbrought-jake-plummer-to-tears"%7D)

*Plummer, the ultimate of NFL free spirits -- the smart, accomplished, go-against-the-grain, challenge-authority guy -- said last week he wept when Kubiak left the Broncos in 2005 to be the head coach of the*Houston Texans.*

“No doubt, tears in my eyes, man,” Plummer said. “Kubes is tough when you need tough. He’ll explain where he’s at, talk you through it, but he’s so smart. A guy like that you wake up every day seeing he wants the best for you and that maybe you disagreed at first, but you see he’s right and you’re not. He pushes you, I mean, hard, man, but doesn’t bully you, and you see for yourself he’s right. A guy like that you want to play for until you can’t play anymore.”*

I've said for 10 years that the Kubes departure set the table for Heimerdinger to hamstring snake with his pocket passing scheme

Joel
01-18-2015, 09:54 PM
That's, um... quite a statement coming from Plummer, yeah. It's like he said, "Kubiak made me want to NOT do everything I did wrong as a player." He practically DID say that.

He also made a great point an earlier interview about it, noting that the best coaches adapt their scheme to their players rather than trying to do the reverse, so Kubiak won't try to ram bootlegs down Mannings throat any more than he did with Griese, Schaub or Flacco, but will use his vast and versatile experience and ability to build an offense maximizing the strengths and minimizing the weaknesses of the tools he has rather than those he WANTS. Last time he did that Plummer made his ONLY Pro Bowl and had a career-low 7 Ints (a mark he only matched his FIRST year in Denver, and DOUBLED every year before Denver.) Makes me wonder what might've been if Kubiak hadn't left for his first HC job in 2006....

Jsteve01
01-19-2015, 12:03 AM
That's, um... quite a statement coming from Plummer, yeah. It's like he said, "Kubiak made me want to NOT do everything I did wrong as a player." He practically DID say that.

He also made a great point an earlier interview about it, noting that the best coaches adapt their scheme to their players rather than trying to do the reverse, so Kubiak won't try to ram bootlegs down Mannings throat any more than he did with Griese, Schaub or Flacco, but will use his vast and versatile experience and ability to build an offense maximizing the strengths and minimizing the weaknesses of the tools he has rather than those he WANTS. Last time he did that Plummer made his ONLY Pro Bowl and had a career-low 7 Ints (a mark he only matched his FIRST year in Denver, and DOUBLED every year before Denver.) Makes me wonder what might've been if Kubiak hadn't left for his first HC job in 2006..... I've wondered that ever since I watched Dinger and Shanny dismantle the system that made Plummer successful. Heard a lot of people excusing that change and acting as if we couldn't continue to run the rollout/boot

TXBRONC
01-19-2015, 12:13 AM
. I've wondered that ever since I watched Dinger and Shanny dismantle the system that made Plummer successful. Heard a lot of people excusing that change and acting as if we couldn't continue to run the rollout/boot

They didn't dismantle anything. Throwing from the pocket was always a part of Shanahan's playbook.

Timmy!
01-19-2015, 12:22 AM
For as much shit as Jake gets around here, even he knows Kubes is legit. Hell, Kubes & Shanny took the 2005 Broncos to an AFC championship game, and that team isnt close to as talented to the roster we will have in 2015, especially if Peyton stays. John will reload/improve the team this off season, and we will be playing in January again. Book it.

MOtorboat
01-19-2015, 12:35 AM
They didn't dismantle anything. Throwing from the pocket was always a part of Shanahan's playbook.

Only a team that made the playoffs three straight seasons, and replaced him with a crybaby quarterback and a crybaby wide receiver who still haven't won shit.

Plummer's endorsement, for whatever reason, makes me feel better about the hire. I'll try to keep my mouth shut going forward on the subject, because I'm not overly optimistic.

BroncoWave
01-19-2015, 12:48 AM
Only a team that made the playoffs three straight seasons, and replaced him with a crybaby quarterback and a crybaby wide receiver who still haven't won shit.

Plummer's endorsement, for whatever reason, makes me feel better about the hire. I'll try to keep my mouth shut going forward on the subject, because I'm not overly optimistic.

I was kinda against the hire at first too, Mo, but the more I am hearing former players of his talk, the more I am liking it. It seems like they are all saying that he is a great motivator that players would all run through a brick wall for. That's exactly what this team needs. It doesn't hurt that he's a smart guy either. I just hope he cleans up his game management issues that hurt him in Houston.

MOtorboat
01-19-2015, 12:50 AM
I was kinda against the hire at first too, Mo, but the more I am hearing former players of his talk, the more I am liking it. It seems like they are all saying that he is a great motivator that players would all run through a brick wall for. That's exactly what this team needs. It doesn't hurt that he's a smart guy either. I just hope he cleans up his game management issues that hurt him in Houston.

Don't get me wrong. I love the offense he employed in Denver, I'm just not 100 percent sure it can be duplicated 10 years later. The key, I think, is how the defense is handled.

BroncoWave
01-19-2015, 12:52 AM
Don't get me wrong. I love the offense he employed in Denver, I'm just not 100 percent sure it can be duplicated 10 years later. The key, I think, is how the defense is handled.

Yeah, our DC hire is really key. If we can nail the coordinator hires, Kubes just has to oversee and we'll be fine. Definitely hope he doesn't take to our defense the way Shanny did.

Jsteve01
01-19-2015, 01:56 AM
. I've wondered that ever since I watched Dinger and Shanny dismantle the system that made Plummer successful. Heard a lot of people excusing that change and acting as if we couldn't continue to run the rollout/boot

They didn't dismantle anything. Throwing from the pocket was always a part of Shanahan's playbook. so the complete disappearance of the boot and rollout didn't happen?

Simple Jaded
01-19-2015, 03:29 AM
Jake Plummer Asst QB Coach, do it!

Simple Jaded
01-19-2015, 04:03 AM
Jake Plummer Asst QB Coach, do it!

Do it!

Northman
01-19-2015, 06:02 AM

When KC started to figure it out (and we owned them quite a bit at the time with the bootleg) than you know it was time to scale it back or call it a day.

Tned
01-19-2015, 08:08 AM
When KC started to figure it out (and we owned them quite a bit at the time with the bootleg) than you know it was time to scale it back or call it a day.

At the time, I don't think it was as much teams figuring it out, as it was a problem of talent. They were getting a lot out of minimum talent, specifically on the offensive line, and they didn't have players that were physically talented enough to straight up pass block, or line up and run over you when needed.

Now, even though our line play was one of the weakest parts of the team this year, we do have more physically impressive players. We have guys that are big and strong enough that they "should" be able to straight up pass block, or line up and run over people.

Anyway, IMO, and ten years later, all it is, is opinion, it was less about teams figuring things out and more about a dearth of talent at key positions.

TXBRONC
01-19-2015, 09:43 AM

If you're looking for it to be a carbon copy then yes you're going to be disappointed even if Osweiler is quarterbacking the Broncos offense it won't look exactly the same.

TXBRONC
01-19-2015, 09:45 AM
so the complete disappearance of the boot and rollout didn't happen?

I didn't say that J. That said no it didn't completely disappear.