PDA

View Full Version : Klis: Broncos finalizing 4-year deal with Kubiak

Pages : [1] 2

BroncoWave
01-18-2015, 09:13 PM
Just broke on Twitter. Will be introduced on Tuesday.

chazoe60
01-18-2015, 09:15 PM
Im shocked!

DenBronx
01-18-2015, 09:18 PM
Wonder who his OC is going to be?

MileHighCrew
01-18-2015, 09:19 PM
:salute: Welcome home Gary.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-18-2015, 09:21 PM
The Broncos are in the process of finalizing a four-year contract with Gary Kubiak that would make him the 15th head coach in franchise history.

He is expected to be introduced as early as Tuesday.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27344956/broncos-gary-kubiak

MileHighCrew
01-18-2015, 09:22 PM
Wonder who his OC is going to be?

I'm more worried about DC. Still hope it is Jim Schwartz

Northman
01-18-2015, 09:22 PM
Sweet. Now lets get a good DC to go along with it.

Poet
01-18-2015, 09:23 PM
I'm so sorry. He is false hope. Prepare to collapse at the end of the year. Prepare to watch baffling game management.

broncofaninfla
01-18-2015, 09:23 PM
I bigger mystery is who will be the OC and DC. Welcome back Kubiak.

chazoe60
01-18-2015, 09:24 PM
I'm so sorry. He is false hope. Prepare to collapse at the end of the year. Prepare to watch baffling game management.

But at least we'll beat the Bengals in the playoffs. :laugh:

MileHighCrew
01-18-2015, 09:24 PM

Mile High magic will turn him from good to great.......... I hope....

olathebroncofan
01-18-2015, 09:26 PM
We are already prepared for that. What do you think we have been watching this season.

Bring on another AFC West Title!

Northman
01-18-2015, 09:26 PM

Denver is a better place overall compared to Houston. I think Kubes will be fine here.

MileHighCrew
01-18-2015, 09:27 PM
Denver is a better place overall compared to Houston. I think Kubes will be fine here.

It is his 2nd HC gig too, he will learn from past mistakes

Denver Native (Carol)
01-18-2015, 09:29 PM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 8m

Still some things to negotiate, but Broncos are in the process of finalizing this deal. Press conference expected Tuesday.

Joel
01-18-2015, 09:30 PM
But at least we'll beat the Bengals in the playoffs. :laugh:
Can't help thinking SOMEONE is still nursing a grudge over those two games.... ;)

broncofaninfla
01-18-2015, 09:30 PM
My picks for Kubiaks OC and DC would be Kyle Shanahan Rick Dennison for OC and Jim Scwartz or Dennis Allen at DC.

Jsteve01
01-18-2015, 09:31 PM

It is his 2nd HC gig too, he will learn from past mistakes. And he has the benefit of a real personnel dept and GM to allow him to focus on football which is so different from the Shanny situation. I have to admit I was not a fan at first but this has really grown on me. I'd like to see Wade return to run his penetrating 3-4 as well

broncofaninfla
01-18-2015, 09:37 PM
Scratch Kyle Shanahan as OC :
@AdamSchefter: Falcons are hiring Kyle Shanahan as their OC, per league source. Shanahan and Dan Quinn planned to be package deal.

SoCalImport
01-18-2015, 09:39 PM
Thank god. Lets get this *$"^ sorted and get get started on next season.

Welcome back Kubes.

SoCalImport
01-18-2015, 09:40 PM
It took Pete Carroll his second NFL HCing gig to get it right. Whatever went wrong in Houston. That was then and this is now

VonDoom
01-18-2015, 09:42 PM
I originally wanted Quinn but I kind of came around on Kubiak. I'm ready to see what he can do

Davii
01-18-2015, 09:42 PM
One thing for sure, our head coach and GM are of like mind and on the same page. That is huge. A great plan will fail if the leaders don't agree, a decent plan can be great with buy in from everyone.

Joel
01-18-2015, 09:43 PM
. And he has the benefit of a real personnel dept and GM to allow him to focus on football which is so different from the Shanny situation. I have to admit I was not a fan at first but this has really grown on me. I'd like to see Wade return to run his penetrating 3-4 as well
I'd REALLY love to see Wade back as DC, but that could be awkward since he used to be Elways head coach, and got fired; I'm not sure he wants to leave retirement, but also not sure Mr. Bowlen wants to rehire him. We may have to settle for Vance Joseph and the best defensive assistants we can find, which may not be too awful (fingers crossed.)

Denver Native (Carol)
01-18-2015, 09:48 PM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 7m

Kubiak and Gase do not share the same offensive principles, so that's unlikely. But ya never know.

Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 9m

RT @stephen_dennis7: i any guess on OC/DC?--->>Gotta think Rick Dennison is a good bet for OC unless he prefers that position in Baltimore

Denver Native (Carol)
01-18-2015, 09:51 PM
Troy Renck @TroyRenck · 33m

A four-year deal makes sense for Kubiak. Gives him year w #Broncos' Manning, and buys some time with new QB on backside of contract

Bronco9798
01-18-2015, 09:54 PM
I'm very happy with Kubiak. He'll do fine here. Nice to see him and Elway back together. They go back a long time.

Rick
01-18-2015, 09:54 PM
If Kyle is really going to Atlanta I expect BMore to possibly offer a nice salary to Dennison to stay as Kyle and Dennison are the 2 best chances to stay with current system there.

tripleoption
01-18-2015, 09:58 PM
I like the hire. He's got a history with Denver and Elway. I know some have been concerned that Manning (assuming he returns) can't run his style of offense. Kubiak will adjust his offense to the personnel he has. He's been around the block a few times and he knows what he's doing.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-18-2015, 10:01 PM
Vic Lombardi retweeted
Klein Kubiak @Klein_Kubiak_84 · 28m

Welcome home dad! #Broncos #BroncosNation

MileHighCrew
01-18-2015, 10:03 PM
Vic Lombardi retweeted

well his welcome home sure makes my welcome home a lot less meaningful lol

VonDoom
01-18-2015, 10:05 PM
Report on Twitter says Dennison is coming with him

Rick
well his welcome home sure makes my welcome home a lot less meaningful lol

And his welcome home sounds a little more official.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
Vic Lombardi retweeted

Awesome

Lancane
01-18-2015, 10:07 PM
Brian Pariani is likely to return with Gary Kubiak, if not as Offensive Coordinator possibly as Assistant Head Coach/Tight Ends Coach.

Rick
01-18-2015, 10:10 PM
I almost feel a little sorry for BMore. We are taking their entire staff that has experience in that system and it sounds like they wont even get Kyle.

Ziggy
01-18-2015, 10:11 PM
Albert Breer @AlbertBreer Can confirm @MikeKlis report that Gary Kubiak is taking the Denver job. I'm told Kubiak is likely bringing Rick Dennison with him as OC.

DenBronx
01-18-2015, 10:13 PM
Report on Twitter says Dennison is coming with him

Kyles going to Atlanta so scratch that move. If Dennison is coming then Gase has had a terrible offseason.

DenBronx
01-18-2015, 10:15 PM
Just leaves the DC spot now.

Where do we go? How about the Seahawks DB coach?

MileHighCrew
01-18-2015, 10:15 PM
Schwartz!!!!

UnderArmour
01-18-2015, 10:16 PM
Brock is a perfect fit for Kubiak's offense. Even if Manning does return, throwing the ball 50 times a game just is not going to win a championship. It's a proven recipe for failure and time and time again it bites teams in championship games. I'm glad our offense will finally be coming home and we can go back to being a running team. There are lots of great defensive coordinator candidates available, and I hope Kubiak chooses wisely. Will be interesting to see if we go to a 3-4.

Ziggy
01-18-2015, 10:20 PM
This team is built for either a 3-4 or a 4-3 defense. Give me Fangio or Schwartz and I'll be doing cartwheels.

Rick
01-18-2015, 10:21 PM
Not sure we can do 3-4 if we can't hold onto pot roast.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-18-2015, 10:37 PM
Vic Lombardi retweeted
JoelDreessen @JoelDreessen · 3m

@VicLombardi Clancy Barone also. Damn good coach.

0 replies 1 retweet 0 favorites
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 21m

Sources tell me Rick Dennison WILL be the new offensive coordinator.

Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 24m

Current Broncos assistants very much in the mix: Studesville, Knapp, Richard Smith.

Vic Lombardi retweeted
Bob Allen @BobAllenKHOU · 31m

Elway hired Kubiak to be Broncos HC.Celebrating @ Mortons tonight
(on Vic's twitter, there is a picture of John, some guy in the middle - may be Kubes agent? and Kubes)

VonDoom
01-18-2015, 10:43 PM
This team is built for either a 3-4 or a 4-3 defense. Give me Fangio or Schwartz and I'll be doing cartwheels.

Still think it's more likely to be Joseph. I don't know enough about him to say if it's a good move or not. But I like your choices! I hope they at least reach out and see if they can get those guys to interview.

Joel
01-18-2015, 10:44 PM
It's a valid point, because it demands so much of NTs (which it also demands be huge) that a really solid 3-4 needs a backup NT nearly as good as its starter to maintain an impenetrable center vs. the run, collapse the pocket vs. the pass, demand double teams: All the things 3-4 NTs must do that make them far more than 4-3 DTs. It's unclear Willams and Austin (much less both) are up to those demands, or that we can find one or more players who are. Even if they're present in te draft/FA, we still have a line to fix, and a number of other key players not currently under contract.

IF we can secure Potroast or a comparable NT though, the rest of our front seven personnel fits a 3-4 REALLY well, especially at the most important spot apart from NT: Von Miller played 3-4 OLB most of his college career (and practically still does; he's hardly a traditional run-stuffing 4-3 Sam who hits the bench in nickel and dime packages) and DeMarcus Ware played much of his career as one in Wade Phillips' Cowboys D (hmm, hadn't thought about that aspect before, but it's another reason I'd love Kubiak to bring Wade out of retirement as our DC.)

REALLY stoked by this though, especially if he's bringing Dennison home with him.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-18-2015, 10:45 PM
if you go to Klein Kubiak's twitter, he has a picture on there of #7 and Kubes when they were real young.

https://twitter.com/klein_kubiak_84

VonDoom
01-18-2015, 10:45 PM
Kyles going to Atlanta so scratch that move. If Dennison is coming then Gase has had a terrible offseason.

Heh, good point. Gase was a hot commodity for HC openings, and now he's interviewing for the Jaguars OC. Kind of a step down, no?

DenBronx
01-18-2015, 10:49 PM
Heh, good point. Gase was a hot commodity for HC openings, and now he's interviewing for the Jaguars OC. Kind of a step down, no?

Yes and we havent heard a peep from Elway trying to endorse Gase or keep him here. That speaks volumes..

Joel
01-18-2015, 10:50 PM
if you go to Klein Kubiak's twitter, he has a picture on there of #7 and Kubes when they were real young.

https://twitter.com/klein_kubiak_84
Seeing those Whataburger and Dr. Pepper logos was almost physically painful.... :(

This just in: Gase had a first ballot HoFer at QB and 4 Pro Bowl receivers but couldn't win a home playoff game. Oh, and he said before the season our one-dimensional offense cost us a championship, then spent the entire year making every possible change to our line WITHOUT fixing it.

chazoe60
01-18-2015, 10:53 PM
Yes and we havent heard a peep from Elway trying to endorse Gase or keep him here. That speaks volumes..
I don't think it says much at all. Kubes and Gase have vastly different offensive philosophies that's all. Not a knock on Gase really. Gase will still be an OC in this league and someday he'll be a HC.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-18-2015, 10:53 PM
some things from article:

In Kubiak, Elway has found a close confidante that believes in similar philosophies. That starts with a dynamic running game and zone blocking scheme that helped Elway win two titles as a player. In Denver, Houston and then Baltimore, Kubiak's scheme has helped running backs produce massive numbers.

With C.J. Anderson, Ronnie Hillman and Montee Ball on the Broncos roster, Kubiak should have plenty of options to ride in Denver. NFL Media's Albert Breer reports Kubiak will likely hire Ravens quarterbacks coach Rick Dennison as the Broncos' offensive coordinator. There's also a good possibility Bengals defensive backs coach Vance Joseph will become the Broncos' defensive coordinator, per Breer.

The bigger question mark is with the quarterback position, where all eyes will turn to Peyton Manning's decision regarding his future. The 38-year-old quarterback doesn't have the mobility generally needed to run Kubiak's West Coast style of offense, but any decent coach would welcome tailoring his offense to a future Hall of Fame quarterback.

While Manning's decision is pivotal, Elway still has a roster built to win now. He didn't view Fox as the man to push them over that hill and onto the Super Bowl platform. He trusts Kubiak can.

full article - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000460494/article/broncos-finalizing-a-fouryear-deal-with-gary-kubiak

VonDoom
01-18-2015, 10:55 PM
I don't think it says much at all. Kubes and Gase have vastly different offensive philosophies that's all. Not a knock on Gase really. Gase will still be an OC in this league and someday he'll be a HC.

I'm not knocking Gase, honestly. I just don't think he's ready to be a HC at this point. Should be interesting to see how he does without a HOF QB.

Rick
01-18-2015, 10:56 PM
Gase will probably go to Chicago or Oakland.

VonDoom
01-18-2015, 10:57 PM
I'm guessing that to most casual football fans, CJ Anderson isn't a household name yet. But he should have a monster year under Kubiak next year. Time for everyone else to take notice.

dogfish
01-18-2015, 11:01 PM
thank god we aren't going to get stuck with minny-shanny!!

:bulletdodged:

TXBRONC
01-18-2015, 11:16 PM
Brian Pariani is likely to return with Gary Kubiak, if not as Offensive Coordinator possibly as Assistant Head Coach/Tight Ends Coach.

That's going piss Baltimore fans off which is fine by me. :D

Magnificent Seven
01-18-2015, 11:17 PM
Wow! I am happy with Coach Kubiak and I am so excited!

Timmy!
01-18-2015, 11:31 PM
Cool.

HORSEPOWER 56
01-18-2015, 11:35 PM
I'm wondering how we skirted the Rooney rule. I didn't think we had already interviewed Joseph. NFL.com is reporting that Joseph will likely get looked at as DC.

underrated29
01-18-2015, 11:42 PM

Everyone has told me he is the bestist. Seems like all the people paid to know this seem to think he is not all that hot.

This just in: Gase had a first ballot HoFer at QB and 4 Pro Bowl receivers but couldn't win a home playoff game. Oh, and he said before the season our one-dimensional offense cost us a championship, then spent the entire year making every possible change to our line WITHOUT fixing it.

And only scoring 21 points combined in 2 playoff games, with THAT roster. Inexcusable! Look what belicheck did to the colts with waaaaaaaaaaaay worse personalle.

GEM
01-18-2015, 11:46 PM

Dont feel bad for us, King. We're signing Kubiak, not Marvin Lewis. We'll be fine :)

broncosfannum24
01-18-2015, 11:47 PM
So does this mark the official start of the osweiler era? Naked boot legs off of the run, deep bomb to the streaking receiver. Osweiler can do that.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
01-18-2015, 11:47 PM
Worst kept secret in the world.

Hmmmm, I hope Elway's not starting an old boy's club here.

GEM
01-18-2015, 11:49 PM
Vic Lombardi retweeted

Oh man, that's awesome!

TXBRONC
01-18-2015, 11:49 PM
I'm wondering how we skirted the Rooney rule. I didn't think we had already interviewed Joseph. NFL.com is reporting that Joseph will likely get looked at as DC.

I've been of the understanding that Joseph already interviewed.

NightTerror218
01-18-2015, 11:52 PM
Love this hire. Time to see the coordinators fall into place. IMO Kubiaks system with fit Oz well and can be tailored if Manning returns.

Kubiak will prob take a long look at the OL.

GEM
I almost feel a little sorry for BMore. We are taking their entire staff that has experience in that system and it sounds like they wont even get Kyle.

I almost do too...then I remember that Flacco pass over Moore and I don't feel so bad anymore. :lol:

echobravo
Really hope we do not go 3-4. Just my opinion...
Could be that the Broncos are 0-4 with the 3-4 in the superbowl and 2-1 with the 4-3.

Don't try to convert me. I will be the first to admit my error if they run a 3-4 and have a top ten defense next year.

GEM
01-18-2015, 11:57 PM

He was interviewed Saturday according to reports.

TXBRONC
01-19-2015, 12:00 AM
Hey North, enjoy yourself with those Ravens fans tomorrow. :lol:

pulse
01-19-2015, 12:05 AM
I'm really pleased with the Kubiak hire but he needs to bring a badass staff with him. If Manning stays, I think Kubiak at least continues Denver's success of winning AFC West championships and making playoff appearances. At best, we get back to the Super Bowl and get over the hump. But even without Manning, we still have a lot of talent in place around Osweiler. We should know pretty damn quick if he's going to be capable of leading the team to another AFC West crown. We still have Anderson. Perhaps Osweiler can be a good game manager and let the weapons and playmakers around him do the work. If he sucks beyond that, then we drop off a year and hope to find a QB for the 2016 season. Best case scenario? Manning returns, stays healthy all season, we dominate like a real championship contender instead of limping into the playoffs to our eventual demise.

Rick
01-19-2015, 12:07 AM
I hate to push him out the door but Manning leaving is the only way I see us affording to keep or replace the other important FAs.

Tned
01-19-2015, 12:18 AM
He was interviewed Saturday according to reports.

Yes, he was already interviewed.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

I Eat Staples
01-19-2015, 12:20 AM
I'm happy with the hire, especially because it isn't Gase.

Looking forward to the Kubiak era in Denver. Good luck coach Kubes!

Timmy!
01-19-2015, 12:26 AM
I hate to push him out the door but Manning leaving is the only way I see us affording to keep or replace the other important FAs.

That's really not the case though.

underrated29

Disagree completely.

We can easily afford DT, brewer, virg, knighton (if he stays) , Franklin, and most of the other ST backup players that are FA.

I mean, who is going to offer Nate Irving a big contract? Julius will probably walk. So what. We clear out 10 mil from welker!!! I expect him to come back if/when Peyton does for around 3mil.

Plus, the cap will go up again......we should have 40ish million in cap space. 10 for DT, puts us at 30. Another 10 for all the role players (Brewer, Virgil, Franklin, Irving, etc)- their contracts won't be high and for 3-4 years....that's around 20 mil in cap space....a few cuts and s few signings and we will be just fine with Peyton returning and his contract.

Tned

I'm not sure the Broncos cap situation is that tight.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forum Runner

Pudge
01-19-2015, 12:27 AM
Everyone should.read Baltimore's forum. So funny, he went from the hero to the washed up no good coach lol

Timmy!
01-19-2015, 12:28 AM
Disagree completely.

We can easily afford DT, brewer, virg, knighton (if he stays) , Franklin, and most of the other ST backup players that are FA.

I mean, who is going to offer Nate Irving a big contract? Julius will probably walk. So what. We clear out 10 mil from welker!!! I expect him to come back if/when Peyton does for around 3mil.

Plus, the cap will go up again......we should have 40ish million in cap space. 10 for DT, puts us at 30. Another 10 for all the role players (Brewer, Virgil, Franklin, Irving, etc)- their contracts won't be high and for 3-4 years....that's around 20 mil in cap space....a few cuts and s few signings and we will be just fine with Peyton returning and his contract.

I think pot roast and julious walk for stupid money. We have more than enough cap space to replace them and upgrade the OL while resigning DT, etx.

TXBRONC
01-19-2015, 12:29 AM
Everyone should.read Baltimore's forum. So funny, he went from the hero to the washed up no good coach lol

Yeah it's pretty funny stuff.

Rick
01-19-2015, 12:29 AM
Hope you guys are right :) I'd kind of like to hold on to JT as well, but we will see.

chazoe60
01-19-2015, 12:30 AM
John Elway once again ripping the heart out of Baltimore.

Timmy!
01-19-2015, 12:32 AM
Hope you guys are right :) I'd kind of like to hold on to JT as well, but we will see.

Somebody is going to offer him stupid money. He would be nice to keep him, but the reality is he has had only 1 healthy season, and isn't exactly a good blocker. We can get more reliable for 1/2 the cost.

BroncoWave
01-19-2015, 12:38 AM
It's good to hear that he is more firey than I original thought. I kinda thought he was just Fox 2.0 but it seems that's not the case. As others have said, many of the best head coaches got fired from their first HC gig and came back better for it, so hopefully that's what we have here. Elway has not let us down yet, so this hire has my support 100%.

chazoe60
01-19-2015, 12:39 AM
Somebody is going to offer him stupid money. He would be nice to keep him, but the reality is he has had only 1 healthy season, and isn't exactly a good blocker. We can get more reliable for 1/2 the cost.

Saying JT isn't exactly a good blocker is like saying Hitler isn't exactly into diversity.

Rick
01-19-2015, 12:51 AM
Come to think of it, we might be better off with Green's duel threat ability. I don't think we can afford to lose Knighton though, so hopefully no one breaks the bank for him.

BroncoWave
01-19-2015, 12:54 AM
Come to think of it, we might be better off with Green's duel threat ability. I don't think we can afford to lose Knighton though, so hopefully no one breaks the bank for him.

I think we can afford to lose him. We had some pretty good depth on the d-line this year. And this is a DEEP free agent class there. We will get somebody if Knighton goes.

pulse
01-19-2015, 01:03 AM
My primary concern is DT. We have to work out a contract. We could possibly use the franchise tag on JT but it would cost us $8 mil on the cap. A tag on Knighton would be 11 mil. I'm more comfortable losing Knighton than JT. We have depth on the defensive line. I'm also not so easily dismissive of JT as some of you. He's still one hell of a weapon when he's healthy and can dominate a secondary. We saw it happen too often up until he got hurt late in the season.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-19-2015, 01:07 AM

I could coach the Seahawks secondary, having 3 all-pros. :D

Austin can anchor the nose.

sneakers
01-19-2015, 01:20 AM
wew

Magnificent Seven
01-19-2015, 01:29 AM
I think Coach Kubiak will bring fullback position back on the field. RB/TB CJ Anderson and FB Juwan Thompson. I am sure Coach Kubiak will bring the west coast offense back.

Coach Mike Shanahan, offense coordinates Gary Kubiak and Rick Dennison ran the west coast offense together from 1995 to 2008.

It would make sense if Elway hires Rick Dennison as offensive coordinator.

dogfish
01-19-2015, 01:36 AM

depends on what GK wants to do with it. . . wade philips is an obvious choice-- but if he wants to go full-on 3-4, vic fangio would be an even better choice than just going with what's familiar. . . and if he wants to stay 4-3, dennis allen is still out there at the moment. . . or more likely, he might just promote our current LB coach richard smith, who was his DC in houston at one point. . .

and obviously, what's-his name. . . vance joseph? the bengals DBs coach-- sounds like he would be a candidate as well. . . and a couple of people have also mentioned a position coach from baltimore's D staff. . . and i believe jim schwartz and maybe mike nolan are still available as well. . . plenty of strong options out there. . .

Lancane
01-19-2015, 03:07 AM
Most believe it will be Vance Joseph at this point, for those looking to find what he's about, he's from the Nolan/Phillips Coaching Tree - so there is an air of familiarity. He's earned his shot to be a defensive coordinator, not sure he'll be the answer - but until someone gets a crack at it, you'll never know. One thing to note is that the pro trees he hails from are 3-4 base defenses and he usually coaches in 3-4 defenses, so converting to a 3-4 base is very possible.

Simple Jaded
01-19-2015, 04:01 AM
Kube took Richard Smith with him to Houston to be his first DC, then had to fire him a few years later. It's not a given that Smith stays as LB coach, much less DC, I would prefer Joseph as DC and Smith as LB coach. Perhaps Smith has come a long way as far as DC candidate and he sure as hell would have more talent than he did in Houston.

Simple Jaded
01-19-2015, 04:43 AM
Btw,, I hope John Elway starts off the press conference by thanking John Elway.

Traveler
01-19-2015, 05:30 AM
Can't say I'm enthused about the return of Kubiak and Dennison. Especially Dennison. Smacks of trying to re-live past glory to me. Thought Elway said he wanted some new blood here. Question now is who will be the DC? Don't know enough about VJ so it's hard to get excited about him. If so, do we have the personnel on defense to run a 3-4? Guess we'll have to wait and see once all the pieces are assembled.

Northman
01-19-2015, 06:09 AM

Yea, they are pretty bitter right now.

capt. Jack
01-19-2015, 07:27 AM
If anyone can develop Brock, Kubes is that guy!

Yay!
Good solid coach!

Tned
01-19-2015, 08:18 AM

I didn't check out their forum, but when I did a "Kubiak" Twitter search late last night, Baltimore fans were clearly pissed that he said he was going to stay and now he's leaving.

Northman
01-19-2015, 08:23 AM
I didn't check out their forum, but when I did a "Kubiak" Twitter search late last night, Baltimore fans were clearly pissed that he said he was going to stay and now he's leaving.

Yea, some of the guys i work with said he sold out and despise him for saying one thing and doing another. But, there were other Raven fans who stood up for him and stated he made his comments before the dream job of coaching Denver came up. I do really believe that had the Denver HC never opened up Kubes would of stayed in Bmore. The opportunity was too good to pass up though.

Tned
01-19-2015, 08:39 AM
Yea, some of the guys i work with said he sold out and despise him for saying one thing and doing another. But, there were other Raven fans who stood up for him and stated he made his comments before the dream job of coaching Denver came up. I do really believe that had the Denver HC never opened up Kubes would of stayed in Bmore. The opportunity was too good to pass up though.

That's the way I see it. When it came to the open jobs, when he made that statement, he wasn't interested in interviewing/leaving for them. It changed when the Denver job opened up.

Pudge
01-19-2015, 08:57 AM
Some baltiomore fans were saying either he's a liar or stupid, because it was obvious Denver was going to be open

Rick
01-19-2015, 09:10 AM
I don't see how anyone can say it was "obvious" the Denver job would be open.

Highly possible? Yes, but not obvious.

Northman
01-19-2015, 09:20 AM
I don't see how anyone can say it was "obvious" the Denver job would be open.

Highly possible? Yes, but not obvious.

Yea, i really didnt think Fox would be fired. At least not for sure.

TXBRONC
01-19-2015, 09:53 AM
My primary concern is DT. We have to work out a contract. We could possibly use the franchise tag on JT but it would cost us $8 mil on the cap. A tag on Knighton would be 11 mil. I'm more comfortable losing Knighton than JT. We have depth on the defensive line. I'm also not so easily dismissive of JT as some of you. He's still one hell of a weapon when he's healthy and can dominate a secondary. We saw it happen too often up until he got hurt late in the season.

I'm just the opposite. I like J. Thomas and I want him to be here but defensive tackles are a lot harder to find than tight ends.

TXBRONC
01-19-2015, 10:02 AM

Yeah aint it great. :heh:

TXBRONC
01-19-2015, 10:10 AM

Besides having history with the Broncos the other opening were all bad teams so I agree Kubiak would have stayed this year.

EastCoastBronco
01-19-2015, 10:24 AM
I'm not excited about this signing at all.
Not sure what Elway is thinking.
Houston never ever gave me the impression of being a tough, never say die team when Kubes was at the helm.
During his tenure, I never once mistook Houston for a team with the same toughness as Seattle or Baltimore or New England.
That is the level we need to get to.
Our past 3 years have proven to me (and everyone else) that talent alone is nowhere near enough to get you to the pinnacle.
We need a motivator and we need one badly.
I never got that vibe form Kubiak.

We shall see.

BroncoWave
01-19-2015, 10:46 AM
Houston never ever gave me the impression of being a tough, never say die team when Kubes was at the helm.
During his tenure, I never once mistook Houston for a team with the same toughness as Seattle or Baltimore or New England.
Our past 3 years have proven to me (and everyone else) that talent alone is nowhere near enough to get you to the pinnacle.

We shall see.

I never got that vibe either, but now you have all these ex players coming out saying what a great motivator he was. I guess we will have to see.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-19-2015, 10:50 AM
Kube took Richard Smith with him to Houston to be his first DC, then had to fire him a few years later. It's not a given that Smith stays as LB coach, much less DC, I would prefer Joseph as DC and Smith as LB coach. Perhaps Smith has come a long way as far as DC candidate and he sure as hell would have more talent than he did in Houston.

After Fox was let go, Brandan Marshall stated that he sure hoped Smith would be retained as LB coach.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-19-2015, 10:53 AM
I do not have time to read all posts, so don't know if the following was posted or not. We knew about Dennison, but not Pariani

Ravens quarterbacks coach Rick Dennison and tight ends coach Brian Pariani will be following Kubiak to Denver, sources told ESPN.com's Jamison Hensley.

full article - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12191685/denver-broncos-hire-gary-kubiak-new-head-coach

Denver Native (Carol)
01-19-2015, 11:12 AM
from article:

The interview lasted about five hours before the party celebrated their agreement with dinner at Morton's Steakhouse. There are plans for Kubiak to be accompanied by his wife, Rhonda, at the news conference. Their youngest son, Klein Kubiak, might even drop by. He is working as an intern in the Broncos' personnel department.

After reaching accord with Kubiak, the Broncos contingent flew back from Houston's Hobby Airport to Rocky Mountain Metropolitan Airport late Sunday night. According to an NFL source, Elway and Ellis did not bring Kubiak back with them.

The plan is for Kubiak to get his affairs in order at his Houston-area home, then fly with his wife to Denver for the news conference.

Among those from Fox's staff, quarterback coach Greg Knapp — whose background is steeped in the zone-blocking, rolling pocket passing system Kubiak uses — and running backs coach Eric Studesville may have the best chance to be retained.

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27344956/broncos-gary-kubiak

Northman
01-19-2015, 11:22 AM
I do not have time to read all posts, so don't know if the following was posted or not. We knew about Dennison, but not Pariani

full article - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12191685/denver-broncos-hire-gary-kubiak-new-head-coach

Like a thief in the NIGHT. But Baltimore should be used to that, we just didnt need huge Mayflower trucks. :laugh:

TXBRONC
01-19-2015, 11:27 AM
Like a thief in the NIGHT. But Baltimore should be used to that, we just didnt need huge Mayflower trucks. :laugh:

:rofl:

VonDoom
01-19-2015, 11:50 AM
Not sure if it was mentioned, but our special teams coach looks like he's going to Chicago with Fox. Addition by subtraction!

Denver Native (Carol)
01-19-2015, 11:57 AM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 10m

I love Trent Dilfer's description of the Kubiak offense: "It's an offense that is quarterback-friendly. Not quarterback-dependent".

TimHippo
01-19-2015, 12:20 PM
It's good to hear that he is more firey than I original thought. I kinda thought he was just Fox 2.0 but it seems that's not the case. As others have said, many of the best head coaches got fired from their first HC gig and came back better for it, so hopefully that's what we have here. Elway has not let us down yet, so this hire has my support 100%.

He was at an expansion team that started from scratch and turned into a perennial playoff contender. And basically just a QB away from being a super bowl contender.

TimHippo
01-19-2015, 12:22 PM

We shall see.

No, basically you just don't need a coach that chokes in the big games like John Fox and Gase.

tripp
01-19-2015, 12:26 PM
While you have some players saying that they thought John Fox, JDR, was a great coach, blah, blah, it doesn't necessarily mean he was the right coach to win the big one. You can like a coach but it doesn't guarantee you success. With that being said, I hope Studesville stays, has been here for quite some time, and has done a good job with the RB's. Not his fault he was given Montee Ball, and Ronnie Hillman to work with.

I like the signing of Kubes based on familiarity and chemistry. After watching that Seattle game, and the swagger that team possesses on the field. It's incredible. Something we lacked big time over the years. I'd like to see Jim Schwartz here as DC because he has a high motor and motivates his defense. You need some personality on defense, and we never had that, not for as long as I can remember.

It's also interesting how John Elway had said Manning will be active in the coach searching aspect, and yet I haven't heard any mention of Manning about the hiring of Kubiak. Perhaps he will have some sort of input on the hiring of an OC unless it's already set in stone that Dennison is coming here.

As for the re-signing of Orange Julius, I don't know when it comes to contract time for JT whether he will receive the big bucks, but from ANY team, based on the fact that when he battled through an injury he couldn't rise to the occasion. And if his injury is as bad as it appeared by his lack of productivity on the field, then I can't imagine any team will be willing to spend big bucks on a pure receiving TE (unless it's Oakland).

tripp
01-19-2015, 12:28 PM
Vic Lombardi @VicLombardi · 10m

I love Trent Dilfer's description of the Kubiak offense: "It's an offense that is quarterback-friendly. Not quarterback-dependent".

Which is what it will NEED to be when Oz takes over as QB in the future.

Did Kubiak have a lot to do with us being able to grab any bum off the street and have them rush for over 1000+ yards a season? Or was that all Shanahan?

EastCoastBronco
01-19-2015, 12:36 PM
No, basically you just don't need a coach that chokes in the big games like John Fox and Gase.

Yes..We do...need to get to that level.
Until we do it will be season after season of beating up on the cellar dwellers and then getting smashed in the face by the REAL teams of the league.
I sincerely hope Kubiak can transform this team into the juggernaut it should be (offensively and defensively).
It will take a huge change in the mental makeup of this team and I hope he is up to the task.

The one single reason that I was hoping for Quinn is that every one of the players on the Seattle D would walk on hot coals for the guy...

tripp
01-19-2015, 12:40 PM
Until we do it will be season after season of beating up on the cellar dwellers and then getting smashed in the face by the REAL teams of the league.
I sincerely hope Kubiak can transform this team into the juggernaut it should be (offensively and defensively).
It will take a huge change in the mental makeup of this team and I hope he is up to the task.

The one single reason that I was hoping for Quinn is that every one of the players on the Seattle D would walk on hot coals for the guy...

Was hoping he'd come here for that reason, and was hoping he'd bring the swagger those players possess.

TimHippo
01-19-2015, 12:43 PM

I like Quinn but you still don't know what you have with him as a head coach. He sits in the skybox during games which is a minus for me in terms of HC material.
And also it's hard to say how much of that defense is Quinn and how much of it is Peter Carrol.

Pete Carrol is the one who brought in the old school style hitting with the shoulders technique back into the league, the philosophy of having big, tall corners and safeties, and drafted for what were considered reaches like Bruce Irvin, etc.
Carroll is also a DC himself so it may be that Carrol is really the one who runs and organized the defense and Quinn just followed orders.

EastCoastBronco
01-19-2015, 12:51 PM
I like Quinn but you still don't know what you have with him as a head coach. He sits in the skybox during games which is a minus for me in terms of HC material.
And also it's hard to say how much of that defense is Quinn and how much of it is Peter Carrol.

Pete Carrol is the one who brought in the old school style hitting with the shoulders technique back into the league, the philosophy of having big, tall corners and safeties, and drafted for what were considered reaches like Bruce Irvin, etc.
Carroll is also a DC himself so it may be that Carrol is really the one who runs and organized the defense and Quinn just followed orders.

Good point.
I guess we'll find out in the fall when we see Atlanta's D...

Slick
01-19-2015, 12:55 PM
It's hard not to like Kubiak or Dennison because they are Denver guys but I'm not all that excited about the hire. I can't really put my finger on why just yet. Hope for the best like any fan I guess. I'm really curious to find out who'll be coaching the defense.

VonDoom's post about the special teams coach following Fox was really good news!

I promise not to spam the forums with sarcastic comments and act like an adult.

MOtorboat
01-19-2015, 12:57 PM
Scot McCloughan is responsible for building that defense, as well as San Francisco's. Pete Carroll is just lucky he got to work with him.

Sorry for the off topic post. Go Broncos.

GEM
01-19-2015, 01:04 PM
Not sure if it was mentioned, but our special teams coach looks like he's going to Chicago with Fox. Addition by subtraction!

Good!

Joel
01-19-2015, 01:06 PM
He was at an expansion team that started from scratch and turned into a perennial playoff contender. And basically just a QB away from being a super bowl contender.

0:06
RAI 5
Matt Schaub (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/S/SchaMa00.htm) pass incomplete short left intended for Jacoby Jones (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JoneJa03.htm) is intercepted by Michael Huff (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HuffMi20.htm) at OAK (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/rai/2011.htm)-0

End of Regulation

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201110090htx.htm

Schaub rolled out left but everyone was covered and there was NOTHING between him and the end zone, nor anywhere near either, so after he went through his progressions he took a step forward, stopped, checked all his receivers again, then took another step, but by then a LB and safety noticed what I saw immediately and Schaub eventually—so he threw a game-ending Int. And I said to my wife, "Kubiak better replace that guy before he gets BOTH of them fired."

McNair was all in with Schaub after trading for him though, so wouldn't let Kubiak draft anyone before the middle of the 5th, and the only OTHER QB he was allowed was Case Keenum, whom he really liked but reportedly had to hope SF passed on because he wasn't permitted to draft the kid first. Maybe if McNair hadn't fired Kubiak over Schaub breaking the NFL record for consecutive pick-six games the following year while Foster, Daniels and Cushing went to IR, the 2-14 Texans would've bounced back with Yates or Keenum. Guess we'll never know....

Point being, you're right, that team was a STACKED SB contender at every position but the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT (the offensive line's collectively most important, but there's 5 of them rather than 1.)

Yates was the starter when Houston clinched its first playoff berth and division title in franchise history, and when they won the franchises first every playoff game, while Keenum (after being cut, then re-signed from the Rams PS) won Houstons last 2 games of this season, starting with the Ravens, which would've earned Houston the #6 seed if Baltimore hadn't come back to beat Cleveland the following week. If Oz doesn't catch fire quickly after Manning retires, don't be surprised to see either of those guys starting and playing well in Denver.

TimHippo
01-19-2015, 01:07 PM
Scot McCloughan is responsible for building that defense, as well as San Francisco's. Pete Carroll is just lucky he got to work with him.

Sorry for the off topic post. Go Broncos.

Simply not true. Carroll is the one who advocating mastering the old style hitting technique of using the shoulder instead of the helmet to counter the helmet tackling ban and also it is Carroll who has a philosophy of having extremely tall corners and safeties to counter the pass happy offenses and league changing the rules to give offenses the advantage. Everyone is copying the tall secondary model thanks to Pete Carrol.

Look it up, most of it's Carroll. He's responsible for the Legion of Boom.

Ziggy
01-19-2015, 01:46 PM
Simply not true. Carroll is the one who advocating mastering the old style hitting technique of using the shoulder instead of the helmet to counter the helmet tackling ban and also it is Carroll who has a philosophy of having extremely tall corners and safeties to counter the pass happy offenses and league changing the rules to give offenses the advantage. Everyone is copying the tall secondary model thanks to Pete Carrol.

Look it up, most of it's Carroll. He's responsible for the Legion of Boom.

Who cares? Take this crap to another thread. We're talking about the Broncos new head coach here.

TimHippo
01-19-2015, 02:03 PM
Who cares? Take this crap to another thread. We're talking about the Broncos new head coach here.

MO started it.

MOtorboat
01-19-2015, 02:33 PM
MO started it.

I didn't start shit. You're blabbering about Carroll and Quinn in multiple Broncos threads. I responded, simply pointing out that it's not all Carroll and apologized for the off topic post.

TXBRONC
01-19-2015, 02:34 PM
While you have some players saying that they thought John Fox, JDR, was a great coach, blah, blah, it doesn't necessarily mean he was the right coach to win the big one. You can like a coach but it doesn't guarantee you success. With that being said, I hope Studesville stays, has been here for quite some time, and has done a good job with the RB's. Not his fault he was given Montee Ball, and Ronnie Hillman to work with.

I like the signing of Kubes based on familiarity and chemistry. After watching that Seattle game, and the swagger that team possesses on the field. It's incredible. Something we lacked big time over the years. I'd like to see Jim Schwartz here as DC because he has a high motor and motivates his defense. You need some personality on defense, and we never had that, not for as long as I can remember.

It's also interesting how John Elway had said Manning will be active in the coach searching aspect, and yet I haven't heard any mention of Manning about the hiring of Kubiak. Perhaps he will have some sort of input on the hiring of an OC unless it's already set in stone that Dennison is coming here.

As for the re-signing of Orange Julius, I don't know when it comes to contract time for JT whether he will receive the big bucks, but from ANY team, based on the fact that when he battled through an injury he couldn't rise to the occasion. And if his injury is as bad as it appeared by his lack of productivity on the field, then I can't imagine any team will be willing to spend big bucks on a pure receiving TE (unless it's Oakland).

Elway said he would keep in contact with Manning but I never got the impression that somehow Manning was going to be actively determining who the next head coach would be. I know Elway likes and respects Manning but there is no way he's going to let Manning tell who to pick. Besides that at the press conference Elway said Manning would be gone on vacation for a month there is just no Manning could that much involvement in the process. It wouldn't surprise me to see Manning temporarily break off his vacation to be at the introductory press conference. If he isn't at the press conference that too could mean something big.

Bronco9798
01-19-2015, 02:38 PM

MOtorboat
01-19-2015, 02:44 PM
Kubiak was short for a quarterback.

Bronco9798
01-19-2015, 02:47 PM
Had a nice little padded butt. lol

Joel
01-19-2015, 03:30 PM
Which is what it will NEED to be when Oz takes over as QB in the future.

Did Kubiak have a lot to do with us being able to grab any bum off the street and have them rush for over 1000+ yards a season? Or was that all Shanahan?
Well, how many UDFAs did Shanny turn into All Pro NFL Rushing Champs in Washington? Look at Justin Forsett this year. I don't know how much of that was Kubiak vs. Dennison, but as long as they're joined at the hip I also don't CARE. That's the great thing about this BOGO: With the exception of the man himself and (probably) Alex Gibbs, we get our championship offensive STAFF back without the awkward tension of having to fit Shannys massive ego in the same stadium as Elways and Mannings. Kubiak spent his whole playing career deferring to Elway; that won't be the problem it would for Shanny.

The bigger question may be how much each guy contributed to dubious QBs like Brian Griese, Jake Plummer, Matt Schaub and now Joe Flacco looking like All Pros for a few seasons before reality reasserted itself and all the strategies and schemes in the world could no longer cover their many serious flaws. Kubes and Denny did more with those scrubs than Shanny did with RG III: Who is better suited to manage Manning through his final seasons and groom his successor?

UnderArmour
01-19-2015, 03:52 PM
Well, how many UDFAs did Shanny turn into All Pro NFL Rushing Champs in Washington? Look at Justin Forsett this year. I don't know how much of that was Kubiak vs. Dennison, but as long as they're joined at the hip I also don't CARE. That's the great thing about this BOGO: With the exception of the man himself and (probably) Alex Gibbs, we get our championship offensive STAFF back without the awkward tension of having to fit Shannys massive ego in the same stadium as Elways and Mannings. Kubiak spent his whole playing career deferring to Elway; that won't be the problem it would for Shanny.

The bigger question may be how much each guy contributed to dubious QBs like Brian Griese, Jake Plummer, Matt Schaub and now Joe Flacco looking like All Pros for a few seasons before reality reasserted itself and all the strategies and schemes in the world could no longer cover their many serious flaws. Kubes and Denny did more with those scrubs than Shanny did with RG III: Who is better suited to manage Manning through his final seasons and groom his successor?
Alfred Morris (6th round) has been a pretty good player. After Kubiak left, To completely discredit Shanahan is inaccurate, because he has earned his credentials as an offensive genius. Shanahan's biggest mistake was been bringing his coaching cronies along with him and giving them jobs they aren't cut out for(Bob Slowik). He is definitely a great coach, but his ego, loyalty to his cronies, and terrible personnel decisions are what undid him. Kubiak had the same issue in Houston in failing to bring in a competent defensive coach until Wade. Hopefully, Kubiak learned from that and brings in a true defensive guru like Fangio, Phillips, or Schwartz and lets them run that side of the ball.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-19-2015, 04:01 PM
Mike Klis @MikeKlis · 7m

Gary Kubiak has arrived via Pat Bowlen's private plane (remember those charter days John Fox?) at Centennial Airport.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-19-2015, 04:05 PM
Andrew Mason retweeted
Jim Saccomano @broncos_sacco · 5h

As a longtime Broncos employee and even longer time fan, I am delighted to see Gary Kubiak returning to Denver as head coach... #fb

Andrew Mason @MaseDenver · 5h

In Gary Kubiak, @Broncos find a tactician who can motivate. My take on the hire: http://dbron.co/5zf

Joel
01-19-2015, 04:13 PM
Alfred Morris (6th round) has been a pretty good player. After Kubiak left, To completely discredit Shanahan is inaccurate, because he has earned his credentials as an offensive genius. Shanahan's biggest mistake was been bringing his coaching cronies along with him and giving them jobs they aren't cut out for(Bob Slowik). He is definitely a great coach, but his ego, loyalty to his cronies, and terrible personnel decisions are what undid him. Kubiak had the same issue in Houston in failing to bring in a competent defensive coach until Wade. Hopefully, Kubiak learned from that and brings in a true defensive guru like Fangio, Phillips, or Schwartz and lets them run that side of the ball.
Shanny's no chump, and has earned his accolades, but in terms of who contributed the most to our championship offense, it's hard to say, especially since Dennison succeeded Kubiak in Denver until demoted by McDumbass so rejoining Kubiak in Houston as OC was a league-legal promotion (the genius of Josh McDaniels was truly boundless...) and has been with him ever since.

It's safe to say Kubiak's ACCOMPLISHED more than Shanahan since their parting though; Plummer imploded immediately afterward, and neither the Bells nor Hillis reached the level of our previous Pro Bowl assembly line. Kubiak and Dennison, on the other hand, went right on making scrub QBs and late round RBs into household names.

I MUST believe he's learned his lesson about finding someone qualified to run the defensive side of the ball he struggles with though, because Houstons embarrassing 2010 D that kept them out of the playoffs annually only to overnight become an elite unit in 2011 is just too stark to miss. It's worth noting they went out and got a LOT of different players in 2011, but even so, the D did a 180° under Wade, and no part of it more so than the secondary, so our interviews with that teams DB coach Vance Joseph and team execs around the league reporting he's a good teacher are very encouraging.

I'd still rather have Wade, but am unsure even a fellow Houstonian colleague can coax him back, or that Mr. Bowlen and Elway would rehire a guy Denver fired to hire Shanny. I believe WHOMEVER Kubes get will be up the job though, both because I'm fairly confident he learned a hard and unmistakable lesson in 2011 and also because our personnel moves in recent years had me thinking Elway intends the post-Manning Broncos to be a defensive team (though I concede hiring Kubiak alters that expectation greatly.)

If Houstons awful 2008-2010 Ds hadn't used up all Kubiaks credit there, he might've survived 2013 despite Schaubs meltdown and the derailing injuries, and he probably knows that, too.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-19-2015, 04:17 PM
mark schlereth @markschlereth · 18h

For those asking if Kubs asked me I certainly would consider coaching the Oline. I suspect he will bring Dennison with him.

mark schlereth @markschlereth · 19h

Congrats to coach Kubiak. Go Broncos!

tripp
01-19-2015, 04:28 PM
mark schlereth @markschlereth · 18h

For those asking if Kubs asked me I certainly would consider coaching the Oline. I suspect he will bring Dennison with him.

mark schlereth @markschlereth · 19h

Congrats to coach Kubiak. Go Broncos!

I absolutely love, love, love this.

One big Broncos family. Let's hope it works out.

NightTrainLayne
01-19-2015, 04:28 PM
I don't understand at all Schlereth's comment. He's never coached. Does he really think that's a possibility?

G_Money
01-19-2015, 04:29 PM
I can't lie, I'd enjoy watching Stink coach the OL. He should know it by now and has had some of the best coaches of all time to learn from. I reeeeallly don't expect him to give up his cushy perch at the 4-letter network to do it, though, and have trouble seeing him get the invite.

Maybe he misses the sidelines, though, and wants to be back around the game full time. If he's putting out feelers, I'm curious. Especially if Dennison doesn't come along for the ride.

G_Money
01-19-2015, 04:34 PM
I don't know if I've ever seen a professional football franchise rally to the flag like this, though. It feels sorta like college greats returning to their alma mater to resurrect greatness - and we were just in the Super Bowl last year.

Hope it turns out better than when CU turned to former players to fix up the place.

Lancane
01-19-2015, 04:38 PM
I don't understand at all Schlereth's comment. He's never coached. Does he really think that's a possibility?

Coaches tend to emulate how they were coached and how their coaches acted in general. It's not like you actually need a college degree to be a coach, I've seen those who have worked their way up through the ranks to utterly fail in the end and former players take on the mantle without doing so before and succeed.

JPPT1974
Welcome home Coach Kubiak and congrats on the job.

MOtorboat
I don't know if I've ever seen a professional football franchise rally to the flag like this, though. It feels sorta like college greats returning to their alma mater to resurrect greatness - and we were just in the Super Bowl last year.

Hope it turns out better than when CU turned to former players to fix up the place.

Hiring a [Insert university] man never seems to work...

G_Money
01-19-2015, 04:40 PM

We'll find out with Harbaugh. ;)

MOtorboat
01-19-2015, 04:41 PM
We'll find out with Harbaugh. ;)

It failed with Hoke.

Lancane
01-19-2015, 04:45 PM

In most cases, I'd tend to agree with a few exceptions. I've seen better results at the Pro Level in that regard. Cowher was a former Steeler who returned and was an outstanding head coach. Shanahan cut his chops under Reeves in Denver and then returned to win two Championships, same with Bill Parcells in New York.

G_Money
01-19-2015, 04:48 PM
It failed with Hoke.

Oh, absolutely. But there's a difference between hiring a guy who just happened to attend/coach at your uni, and hiring the BEST coach available who also happened to want to come to you specifically BECAUSE he played/coached there.

Is Harbaugh the best? Is Kubiak? We'll find out.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-19-2015, 05:01 PM
In regards to Stink, I would not mind at all to have him be the Broncos OL coach. I have watched him many times on ESPN breaking down xs and os on OL play. Also, he played on the OL for how many years. I would think he knows the ins and outs of each OL position.

Another thought from me - it was reported that Rod Smith was working with the WR's during training camp and practice. I would not mind if he was made the WR coach.

NightTrainLayne
01-19-2015, 05:07 PM
In regards to Stink, I would not mind at all to have him be the Broncos OL coach. I have watched him many times on ESPN breaking down xs and os on OL play. Also, he played on the OL for how many years. I would think he knows the ins and outs of each OL position.

I'm not saying that Stink would be bad. I don't know one way or the other for sure. But, with all respect, breaking down x's and o's is only a piece of the coaching puzzle. I am mainly just asking, "why now?" with Stink. He's had all these years to explore coaching and to my knowledge hasn't. I mean, do we call in Sharpe to coach the tight ends, and Smith to coach WR's, Elway can do QB's I'm sure. . . Hey, the gang's all here! :Championship:

Joel
01-19-2015, 05:08 PM
If we take it at face value, he was asked and answered. And while all the scuttlebutt says he's right Kubiak will be the BOGO it nearly always is, that doesn't preclude Schlereth nor anyone coaching the offensive line, because the reason Kubiak can not only come to Denver, but bring Dennison with him, is because Dennison would be promoted from QBs coach back to OC. For that matter, even if he remained QBs coach we'd need an offensive line coach (and OC.) But, yeah, I'm not sure that's an entry level coaching position, at least not for a listless line switching to a demanding ZBS system.

For what it's worth, both Bart Starr and successor Forrest Gregg (whom Lombardi said was not just the best offensive linemen but best PLAYER he ever coached) were miserable failures as head coach of the Packers, posting respective .406 and .403 win percentages over 13 seasons. Greggs situation in particular was very similar to Schlereths: Elite offensive lineman who won repeat SBs in an elite coachs complex innovative blocking system, and deeply respected by the organization and fans because of it—but TOTALLY incapable of teaching and executing it as the same teams coach with different players.

Not saying Schlereth would end up the same, but I'm not sure I'd roll those dice in Kubiaks place given the state of our line and the complexity of his ZBS, which we'll almost certainly adopt.

G_Money
01-19-2015, 05:19 PM
I'm not saying that Stink would be bad. I don't know one way or the other for sure. But, with all respect, breaking down x's and o's is only a piece of the coaching puzzle. I am mainly just asking, "why now?" with Stink. He's had all these years to explore coaching and to my knowledge hasn't.

Because he doesn't have to move to take this job. If he can't hack it or gets fired in a couple years, he just goes back to ESPN. He's pretty well liked there, you'd have to say. But there's nothing wrong with waking up, rolling out to the practice facilities and yelling at some dudes while they hit people, either. Especially when you're doing it with friends.

Schlereth has a good gig - he ain't desperate. But if his friends called and asked for his help, it sounds like he'd super-friend it up. If he misses the players and the field but wasn't willing to move his family or try it out with strangers, then this is basically perfect for him. They're even running the scheme he knows like the back of his hand.

Nothing wrong with throwing a hat in the ring for a perfect situation. He's made no secret of the fact that while he respected Shanny they weren't close. Shanahan wasn't the sort of coach Mark would go to work for, as far as I can tell, but I guess Kubiak is.

I wish as many greats on the defensive side of coaching loved him this much. :lol:

VonDoom
01-19-2015, 06:33 PM
Interesting, balanced take on Kubiak from IAOFM today. The writer ultimately thinks it was a good move, but he's not hiding behind homer glasses:

I'm certainly not trying to rain on anyone's parade, and certainly not John Elway's. Elway has my undying loyalty for lifting the Broncos out of obscurity in the 1980s, winning two Super Bowls in the 1990s, cleaning up the sippy cup mess that was Josh McDaniels' drafting of Tim Tebow, and finally, bringing Peyton Manning to Denver.

But let's face it--nepotism ain't just a river in Egypt.

That's not to say Kubiak isn't qualified. He assuredly is. But, as a fan, I don't like being misled. This isn't about kicking and screaming.

Rather than lob out platitudes about attitudes, Elway should simply admit what we all know to be true: people like working with people they like to work with.

I'd be okay with that. In the NFL, where your chances of success are small, and as we saw yesterday with the Seattle Seahawks, luck can overcome talent and preparation, you might as well go down with people you get along with. And if you want to kick and scream (or question a player's manhood like Matt Millen), more power to you. But don't hide your friends Kubiak, Rick Dennison, and Alex Gibbs inside some orange and blue pom poms and expect us to do the wave.

Still, I'll do the wave, and here's why--this is a quarterback-driven league, and without a quarterback, you're not even sniffing the postseason. Kubiak does quarterbacks, which by itself increases the chance of success after Peyton Manning is gone.

I think a lot of what is said in there is fair. I mean, sometimes it's just time for a change at coach because what might have been working a few years ago isn't working now. Unless you're Belichick, you go through rough patches where new blood might invigorate a team. I thought Fox had to go, so hopefully getting Kubiak in here will be the jolt this team needs, now and in the future.

The rest: http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/gut-reaction-broncos-hire-gary-kubiak

TXBRONC
01-19-2015, 07:44 PM

Another thought from me - it was reported that Rod Smith was working with the WR's during training camp and practice. I would not mind if he was made the WR coach.

Breaking down x's and o's doesn't mean he is suited for coaching.

Joel
01-19-2015, 07:52 PM
Interesting, balanced take on Kubiak from IAOFM today. The writer ultimately thinks it was a good move, but he's not hiding behind homer glasses:

I think a lot of what is said in there is fair. I mean, sometimes it's just time for a change at coach because what might have been working a few years ago isn't working now. Unless you're Belichick, you go through rough patches where new blood might invigorate a team. I thought Fox had to go, so hopefully getting Kubiak in here will be the jolt this team needs, now and in the future.

The rest: http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/broncos/entry/gut-reaction-broncos-hire-gary-kubiak
That's the kind of superficial "analysis" I've come to expect from IAoFM when they're not regurgitating stuff from other peoples two-decade-old SI articles without attribution, as if their own.

Elway didn't dump Fox just to bring in his bestest bud, nor even conclude Fox bailing was a great excuse to do so. He's made VERY EXPLICITLY CLEAR from the start he wants and expects to win, not just games nor division titles, but championships—a LOT—and everyone in the organization better be consistently moving toward that goal or they won't BE in the organization. If anything, Elway's casting a big vote of confidence despite huge personal risk by hiring a close friend to lead that charge, because if it blows up, that's the kind of thing that ruins great friendships.

VonDoom
01-19-2015, 08:20 PM
That's the kind of superficial "analysis" I've come to expect from IAoFM when they're not regurgitating stuff from other peoples two-decade-old SI articles without attribution, as if their own.

Elway didn't dump Fox just to bring in his bestest bud, nor even conclude Fox bailing was a great excuse to do so. He's made VERY EXPLICITLY CLEAR from the start he wants and expects to win, not just games nor division titles, but championships—a LOT—and everyone in the organization better be consistently moving toward that goal or they won't BE in the organization. If anything, Elway's casting a big vote of confidence despite huge personal risk by hiring a close friend to lead that charge, because if it blows up, that's the kind of thing that ruins great friendships.

Did you read the quotes from the articles they posted? They read like any "coach at the end of his tenure" exit pieces when someone is fired. How much different are those beat writers in Houston taking shots at Kubiak than the writers in Denver now taking shots at Fox? Time will tell whether Kubiak is what we need to lead us to the "next level" but nothing about his results in Houston cries out "kicking and screaming" to me, and I think that was the writer's point.

In a blind study, could you tell me who these quotes were about?

His approach had grown stale. His squad was undisciplined and looked lost.

... didn’t cure the disdain that fans had for his ineptitude in managing a game, preparing his personnel week in and week out, the ill-disciplined team ...

He surely took risks ... But who remembers him for them? He's remembered for not taking them.

It's likely that those writers had an agenda against Kubiak (or really, for their home team) but they speak to many of the same issues we've had with Fox. Will things be different here? I think so, and I hope so. But it's not a slam dunk.

TXBRONC
01-19-2015, 09:48 PM
Did you read the quotes from the articles they posted? They read like any "coach at the end of his tenure" exit pieces when someone is fired. How much different are those beat writers in Houston taking shots at Kubiak than the writers in Denver now taking shots at Fox? Time will tell whether Kubiak is what we need to lead us to the "next level" but nothing about his results in Houston cries out "kicking and screaming" to me, and I think that was the writer's point.

It's likely that those writers had an agenda against Kubiak (or really, for their home team) but they speak to many of the same issues we've had with Fox. Will things be different here? I think so, and I hope so. But it's not a slam dunk.

It wouldn't be slam dunk for any new coach. Austin and Quinn haven never been head coaches in NFL so no ones how they'll do.

Lancane
01-19-2015, 09:57 PM
It wouldn't be slam dunk for any new coach. Austin and Quinn haven never head coaches in NFL so no ones how they'll do.

And most people tend to forget that Bill Belichick who is by most considered the greatest coach of the modern era went 36-44 in his first stint as a Head Coach in Cleveland and they only went to the playoffs once under him. But there isn't a team that wouldn't pay out the *** to have him coach their franchise.

Actually most people tend to have opinions based on little fact or some kind of partial fact but are blind to the whole of it. Most people have no clue Belichick was once a Special Teams/Defensive Assistant here in Denver and before that in Detroit. Or how New England fans talk about retread coaches or how re-hiring coaches is folly but forget that Belichick went to the New York Jets for a season or two before returning to New England as the Head Coach.

TXBRONC
01-19-2015, 10:05 PM
And most people tend to forget that Bill Belichick who is by most considered the greatest coach of the modern era went 36-44 in his first stint as a Head Coach in Cleveland and they only went to the playoffs once under him. But there isn't a team that wouldn't pay out the *** to have him coach their franchise.

Actually most people tend to have opinions based on little fact or some kind of partial fact but are blind to the whole of it. Most people have no clue Belichick was once a Special Teams/Defensive Assistant here in Denver and before that in Detroit. Or how New England fans talk about retread coaches or how re-hiring coaches is folly but forget that Belichick went to the New York Jets for a season or two before returning to New England as the Head Coach.

Pete Carroll has had three head coaching stops in the NFL the first two were total cluster _______.

Lancane
01-19-2015, 10:07 PM
Pete Carroll has had three head coaching stops in the NFL the first two were total cluster _______.

Exactly.

Rick
01-19-2015, 10:15 PM
I dont care how good of a coach they are, without the right players....

A great coach can make a good team great and a great team a dynasty but a shitty team is a shifty team.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-20-2015, 12:52 AM
Didn't Bellicik get fired from the Browns

Simple Jaded
01-20-2015, 01:09 AM
I can't lie, I'd enjoy watching Stink coach the OL. He should know it by now and has had some of the best coaches of all time to learn from. I reeeeallly don't expect him to give up his cushy perch at the 4-letter network to do it, though, and have trouble seeing him get the invite.

Maybe he misses the sidelines, though, and wants to be back around the game full time. If he's putting out feelers, I'm curious. Especially if Dennison doesn't come along for the ride.

I would prefer Dennison to be here if they consider Stink for OL coach, with a first time coach it's ideal to have an experienced OL coach on staff.

I love the idea.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-20-2015, 01:11 AM
Stink makes a lot doing what he does. I don't know why he'd leave that for the grind of being an o-line coach

Lancane
01-20-2015, 01:47 AM
Stink makes a lot doing what he does. I don't know why he'd leave that for the grind of being an o-line coach

Sometimes it's about the love of the game more then the paycheck.

VonDoom
01-20-2015, 11:58 AM
Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 14m14 minutes ago

Of coaches who were on Fox's staff with #Broncos ...think LBs coach Richard Smith and RBs coach Eric Studesville are best candidates to stay

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 13m13 minutes ago

Buzz around the league still is that Kubiak would like to name Vance Joseph as DC. Joseph an up and comer #Broncos liked in his interview.

Slick
01-20-2015, 12:02 PM
I'm not excited about any of these hires. Joseph least of all as the Denver DC. Between that and Manning's lame duck effort, not a lot to be excited about in Broncos Country. Some of you guys are a lot more optimistic than I am.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-20-2015, 12:03 PM
Sometimes it's about the love of the game more then the paycheck.

Well, until he indicates otherwise, I think it's safe to assume Stink loves to talk. :laugh:

Lancane
01-20-2015, 12:11 PM
I'm not excited about any of these hires. Joseph least of all as the Denver DC. Between that and Manning's lame duck effort, not a lot to be excited about in Broncos Country. Some of you guys are a lot more optimistic than I am.

Vance Joseph is considered the next Bowles in league circles and his pedigree is the Nolan/Phillips Tree. How many fans would be okay with hiring one of those two? So we are taking their protégé and giving him a chance.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-20-2015, 12:19 PM
Jeff Legwold @Jeff_Legwold · 26m

Could also see Greg Knapp staying as QB coach, a position he's had on Kubiak's staff in Houston in 2010-11 and WRs coach Tolbert very good.

GEM
01-20-2015, 12:19 PM
Didn't Bellicik get fired from the Browns

Who hasn't gotten fired from the Browns. :laugh:

Slick
01-20-2015, 12:23 PM
Vance Joseph is considered the next Bowles in league circles and his pedigree is the Nolan/Phillips Tree. How many fans would be okay with hiring one of those two? So we are taking their protégé and giving him a chance.

Sure but he's an unknown at DC. I'm not bitching about it, I'm just not overly excited. Hoping for the best.

Rick
01-20-2015, 12:27 PM
Sure but he's an unknown at DC. I'm not bitching about it, I'm just not overly excited. Hoping for the best.

I am real excited about the Kubiak hiring, but skeptical about Joseph. I hear he is one of the next big things, but he is an unknown and when we have a guy who is pure offense like Kubes, we need a known commodity to run the defense that Kubes will say the defense is yours, I will leave my hands off and not **** with it.

TXBRONC
01-20-2015, 12:28 PM

Would you be more excited if Quinn was Denver's head coach?

Lancane
01-20-2015, 12:45 PM
Would you be more excited Quinn as Denver's head coach.

LOL...really, that's not funny but the idea that someone would.... :lol:

TXBRONC
01-20-2015, 01:59 PM
LOL...really, that's not funny but the idea that someone would.... :lol:

The thing is there is apprehension with Joseph because he has no experience as defensive coordinator while at the same how Dan Quinn would be great hire as a head coach yet he's never been one. Even as a defense coordinator at one time he was inexperienced.

Slick
01-20-2015, 02:04 PM
Would you be more excited if Quinn was Denver's head coach?

Not really. The only thing I know about him is his defensive game plan completely stumped the greatest offense of all time. I didn't even know who he was until last years Superbowl. I don't follow closely enough to know who many coordinators are in the NFL outside the AFC West.

MileHighCrew
01-20-2015, 02:09 PM
Gary Kubiak settles his offensive coaching staff

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/20/gary-kubiak-settles-his-offensive-coaching-staff/

Hardwired
01-20-2015, 02:21 PM
The only change that interests me is "Tight ends coach Clancy Barone will now coach the offensive line". Considering how much change the O-line will undergo with the new scheme coming in, a TE coach will be overseeing that? Should be interesting.

Joel
01-20-2015, 02:23 PM
No thanks: We tried relying on "depth" for DTs for nearly two decades while Tomlinson and Larry Johnson ran all over us to division titles and we were shut out of the playoffs till it cost Shanny his job; I much prefer shutting down Larry Johnson EVERY TIME we play KC so THEY spend the playoffs on a couch watching US. All that goes double if we bring in Phillips or Joseph as DC and go to a 3-4, because a 3-4 NT must be a huge dominant player to wall of the middle on runs, collapse pockets and demand double teams so the LBs get free shots, and their size requires a pretty good backup to sub.

Nothing against Williams or Austin, either or both of which might be that rotational NT, but they don't look like the Kongs Vickerson and Knighton were; more like 4-3 UTs or 3-4 DEs (roles which Wolfe and Jackson suit at least as well.) I'd rather have a guy like that starting than a "TE" who runs ragged routes even after working it all off season and "can't block the sun out of his eyes." Especially when the one-trick pony costs twice as much cap space and is far more replaceable by a host of basketball players turned TE who actually WANT to block and CAN.

Not to mention that with Kubes and Dennisons ZBS coming to town and bringing Baltimores TE coach, Orange Julius better get his stuff together in a hurry and drop the "pay me like an elite WR" crap.

Joel
01-20-2015, 02:36 PM

I'm less interested in the articles IAoFM quotes with attribution than those it quotes WITHOUT attribution, and it insulting oversimplification of Elways evaluation and hiring process and goals as "who's first on my home speed dial?" Elway wants to go all the way, and if he didn't strongly believe Kubiak the best guy to do that, he'd have hired whoever he DID believe that guy. Jerry Jones may have gotten lucky hiring his old college roomy to coach the team he just bought, but Elway hiring Kubiak was by design and on merit; their personal relationship and history just enabled him to lure Kubes out of Baltimore.

Lancane
01-20-2015, 02:58 PM
The only change that interests me is "Tight ends coach Clancy Barone will now coach the offensive line". Considering how much change the O-line will undergo with the new scheme coming in, a TE coach will be overseeing that? Should be interesting.

He was the offensive line coach in Atlanta under Alex Gibbs when they implemented the zone scheme.

CoachChaz
01-20-2015, 03:02 PM
Gary Kubiak settles his offensive coaching staff

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/20/gary-kubiak-settles-his-offensive-coaching-staff/

Still not sold on this Vance Joseph as DC thing

Lancane
01-20-2015, 05:15 PM
Still not sold on this Vance Joseph as DC thing

But you'd be okay if they brought in Mike Nolan or Wade Phillips, right? So a young up and comer who learned under both men is not worth the chance? Did we know how Allen would be? Greg Robinson who was the Defensive Coordinator during our back to back Super Bowl Championship years was a former Defensive Line Coach who was a DC with the Jets for one season before coming to Denver. Same for Austin, do you think Detroit regrets giving him his shot? Dan Quinn was another defensive line coach that someone gave the chance to be a DC, think they regret it? Until they are given a chance they'll remain unknowns.

Buff
01-20-2015, 05:28 PM
I'm more sold on Vance Joseph becoming DC for exactly the reasons I dislike hiring Dennison as OC... Give me the unknown commodity with potential over the known mediocre commodity. And I don't mean to insult Dennison, who is a good coach, but he didn't exactly have teams beating down his door for all of his offensive scheme ideas.

Joel
01-20-2015, 07:33 PM
I'm more sold on Vance Joseph becoming DC for exactly the reasons I dislike hiring Dennison as OC... Give me the unknown commodity with potential over the known mediocre commodity. And I don't mean to insult Dennison, who is a good coach, but he didn't exactly have teams beating down his door for all of his offensive scheme ideas.
I suspect Dennisons biggest problem is he's never been out of the shadow of Shanny and ESPECIALLY Kubiak. The only time he wasn't Kubiaks assistant in some capacity was when he first started out as our STs coach and in the 3 years between succeeding him as Shannys OC and being demoted to McDumbass' line coach so NFL rules let Kubiak hire him as Texans OC (classic McDumbass brilliance.)

If/when he wants to though, I suspect Denny will be an EXCELLENT coach just because of his resume running 1/3 of a championship team, another 1/3 of it when its OC got his first HC gig, and running two different positions on offense, all after he played LB on 3 SB teams. That's some seriously broad championship-level experience; I still wish we'd hired him instead of Fox 4 years ago (Legwold says he aced the interview,) but this may work out better for us in the end. Maybe for everyone; if we win a couple more championships with Dennison as OC, teams WILL be beating down his door.

Rick
01-20-2015, 07:41 PM
Even here, Dennison will always be under Kubiak's shadow and no matter how good or bad our offense is, it will always be credited to Kubiak.

Dennison's best shot at making a name for himself would have been if he had become OC in BMore when Kubiak was hired here.

Joel
01-20-2015, 08:10 PM
Even here, Dennison will always be under Kubiak's shadow and no matter how good or bad our offense is, it will always be credited to Kubiak.

Dennison's best shot at making a name for himself would have been if he had become OC in BMore when Kubiak was hired here.
Yeah, and that likely made it a tough call for him. Just as Kubiak dismissed out of hand HC offers from three other teams, getting Dennison as a BOGO might not have been possible for anyone but Denver. Twenty years later and the franchises only championships are still paying dividends that could well create more; that's truly impressive, and speaks volumes on the character, heart and camaraderie of that team. Heck, I wouldn't even rule out a renewed and integral role for Alex Gibbs, health permitting. I can't overstate how psyched I am about this; just find a decent DC and staff and the sky's the limit.

dogfish
01-20-2015, 10:18 PM

yea, but why go with the student when both the masters are available?

TXBRONC
01-21-2015, 09:48 AM

Having an up and comer isn't a bad thing.

BigDaddyBronco
01-21-2015, 10:11 AM

Yea, I'll take Phillips. Don't know if that will happen. Vance Joseph might be an up and comer, hard to say.

BigDaddyBronco
01-21-2015, 10:12 AM

Just depends if he is worth a shit. Who knows. With an established guy they have a list of successes and failures, so you can get an idea what they might be able to do with the personnel we have.

TXBRONC
01-21-2015, 10:20 AM
Just depends if he is worth a shit. Who knows. With an established guy they have a list of successes and failures, so you can get an idea what they might be able to do with the personnel we have.

No one will know unless he gets a chance to prove it.

Lancane
01-21-2015, 10:21 AM

Well, maybe there is bad blood between Bowlen, Elway and Phillips, after all he was fired without much of a chance as head coach of the Broncos. And Nolan who I would love to see return more then Phillips is known for butting heads with staff. Maybe the Broncos see Joseph as having the better qualities of both men and worth the chance?

Rick
01-21-2015, 10:38 AM
No one will know unless he gets a chance to prove it.

Question is, should a team contending for a superbowl be the team to give a guy the chance to prove it? That is my concern.

Ravage!!!
01-21-2015, 10:40 AM
Well, maybe there is bad blood between Bowlen, Elway and Phillips, after all he was fired without much of a chance as head coach of the Broncos. And Nolan who I would love to see return more then Phillips is known for butting heads with staff. Maybe the Broncos see Joseph as having the better qualities of both men and worth the chance?

I'm sure there were several reasons for the hire. Elway didn't just pull a name out of the hat for the hell of it. I'm sure there are many reasons as to why this guy was chosen over others.

Ravage!!!
01-21-2015, 10:41 AM
Question is, should a team contending for a superbowl be the team to give a guy the chance to prove it? That is my concern.

Why? What gives any indication that the guy doesn't know the Xs and O's?

BigDaddyBronco
01-21-2015, 10:42 AM

Must have been pretty bad blood, that was almost 20 years ago. If Phillips hadn't been a DC for the last 10 years, I would see why he wouldn't want anything to do with it. My bet is that Elway and Kubiak don't really like working with him, or they don't have any desire to run a 3-4.

TXBRONC
01-21-2015, 10:53 AM

I'm sure Denver wouldn't be the first contender to do so.

Rick
01-21-2015, 10:55 AM
Why? What gives any indication that the guy doesn't know the Xs and O's?

What gives any indication that he does?

There are plenty of smart up and coming position coaches that flamed out as coordinators.

Rick
01-21-2015, 10:58 AM
Don't get me wrong, I am not saying the guy won't be a great DC, I just worry because if we have a short windows with Manning, this year might be our best shot at a superbowl, I just worry about turning it over to a maybe rather than someone who has already proven it.

Ravage!!!
01-21-2015, 11:01 AM

There are plenty of smart up and coming position coaches that flamed out as coordinators.

Just as many "veteran" coaches that have done the same. I guess what I'm saying is that Elway didn't just pull the name out of a hat and say "ok, guess this is the guy." There were reasons for signing him, and those reasons I'm SURE came from Kubiak as much as anyone else.

Lancane
01-21-2015, 11:04 AM
Just as many "veteran" coaches that have done the same. I guess what I'm saying is that Elway didn't just pull the name out of a hat and say "ok, guess this is the guy." There were reasons for signing him, and those reasons I'm SURE came from Kubiak as much as anyone else.

Would have...Cincinnati is denying his and the Broncos request to come to Denver to be the Defensive Coordinator.

Rick
01-21-2015, 11:06 AM

Problem is, if rumors like the Smith for DC are true, and God I hope they are BS, then I worry if Kubiak suffers from the same illness that Shanny suffered from, a complete inability to pick quality defensive coordinators.

Kubiak has only been on the job a few days so I don't want to make that determination, but it took awhile in Houston before he finally hired a quality DC.

TXBRONC
01-21-2015, 11:08 AM

This is a catch-22 you saying he hasn't proven it therefore he shouldn't get a chance do so. But it isn't something that can be proven with any of outward substance unless he's has the opportunity.

That said, how do you know that he hasn't shown understanding in the coaches meetings? Since you outward signs how about the fact the Bengals lead the League in interceptions?

Rick
01-21-2015, 11:11 AM
This is a catch-22 you saying he hasn't proven it therefore he shouldn't get a chance do so. But it isn't something that can be proven with any of outward substance unless he's has the opportunity.

That said, how do you know that he hasn't shown understanding in the coaches meetings? Since you outward signs how about the fact the Bengals lead the League in interceptions?

It is a little bit different though, well it would seem in my non expert opinion, that a position coaches job is to "teach" and work on fundamentals, to be in the right place at the right time on the field. That is not the same job as a coordinator who has to create schemes and make in game adjustments.

Again, I am not saying he can't scheme, I just feel there maybe guys out there that have proven they can and if we have a short window, they may be safer.

TXBRONC
01-21-2015, 11:23 AM
It is a little bit different though, well it would seem in my non expert opinion, that a position coaches job is to "teach" and work on fundamentals, to be in the right place at the right time on the field. That is not the same job as a coordinator who has to create schemes and make in game adjustments.

Again, I am not saying he can't scheme, I just feel there maybe guys out there that have proven they can and if we have a short window, they may be safer.

Well scheming has to do with knowing x's and o's.

Rick
01-21-2015, 11:31 AM
We will probably have to agree to disagree, even though we are not really disagreeing here :)

I imagine he "might" make a terrific coordinator, he may very well end up the best that has ever lived, and if we hired him and he did such a thing then wonderful :)

I am just worried because he "may" be this guy but since he has never been a coordinator and actually ran an entire defense, and made in game adjustments when the need arises, I just have no idea if he can and there are "safer" choices out there with guys who have managed the entire defense and have made in game adjustments. he may be as good or better than these guys, I just have no idea and if this is our last best chance with Manning, can we take that chance that he "may" be a rockstar?

I just don't know. Thankfully, it is not my job to decide :)

TXBRONC
01-21-2015, 12:05 PM
We will probably have to agree to disagree, even though we are not really disagreeing here :)

I imagine he "might" make a terrific coordinator, he may very well end up the best that has ever lived, and if we hired him and he did such a thing then wonderful :)

I am just worried because he "may" be this guy but since he has never been a coordinator and actually ran an entire defense, and made in game adjustments when the need arises, I just have no idea if he can and there are "safer" choices out there with guys who have managed the entire defense and have made in game adjustments. he may be as good or better than these guys, I just have no idea and if this is our last best chance with Manning, can we take that chance that he "may" be a rockstar?

I just don't know. Thankfully, it is not my job to decide :)

I'm not sure sarcasm is needed. Like you said we'll just have agree to disagree.

Rick
01-21-2015, 12:09 PM
I'm not sure sarcasm is needed. Like you said we'll just have agree to disagree.

I wasn't actually being sarcastic, I was simply implying he could very well be a gem, could very well be an outstanding DC. I just don't know and would prefer to make a conservative choice(not conservative DC, just choice) with a small window and especially with a HC that is an offensive genius but not so much on the defensive side.

dogfish
01-21-2015, 09:21 PM

at least not until someone else hires him off your staff in a year or two if he really is good, and you're stuck starting over again. . .

personally, i would've rather had a young up-and-comer as our head coach, and a veteran DC who isn't likely to get snatched up in the next hiring cycle if he does well. . . JMO. . .

Denver Native (Carol)
01-21-2015, 10:45 PM
Andrew Mason retweeted
Montee Ball @ballrb28 · 4h

Just got off the phone with our coach kubiak! Said he's excited to coach me!! Can't wait to work with him! I'll make it happen.. I swear.

Jsteve01
01-21-2015, 11:06 PM

at least not until someone else hires him off your staff in a year or two if he really is good, and you're stuck starting over again. . .

personally, i would've rather had a young up-and-comer as our head coach, and a veteran DC who isn't likely to get snatched up in the next hiring cycle if he does well. . . JMO. . .. Hence my post on the reasoning behind a phillips hire

dogfish
01-22-2015, 12:10 AM
. Hence my post on the reasoning behind a phillips hire

yep. . . nobody is poaching wade from ya, no matter how well his D plays. . . romeo is the same type of ultra-safe hire. . . :laugh:

Denver Native (Carol)
01-22-2015, 12:01 PM
Broncos Pro Bowlers talk about playing for newly hired Head Coach Gary Kubiak.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Players-excited-to-start-working-with-Kubiak/c39791be-cf2f-4793-a1fc-831ef44d609c

Runamok
01-22-2015, 12:44 PM
I like Kubiak. He never smiles during a game.

Joel
01-22-2015, 01:34 PM
I like Kubiak. He never smiles during a game.
Yeah, I kinda like that, too: Smile AFTER the win, but since the new flag basketball rules have produced more 24 pt comebacks in the past 5 years than in the previous 90, smiling ANY time before the gun is too soon: Ask the Packers. Beside which, smiling inversely correlates with winning: Ask Belicheat. :tongue:

7DnBrnc53
01-22-2015, 05:10 PM
Yeah, I kinda like that, too: Smile AFTER the win, but since the new flag basketball rules have produced more 24 pt comebacks in the past 5 years than in the previous 90, smiling ANY time before the gun is too soon: Ask the Packers. Beside which, smiling inversely correlates with winning: Ask Belicheat. :tongue:

Flag basketball (or actually, fag basketball) is perfect for the Pats and their cheesy dink pass offense that nobody defends properly.

Joel
01-22-2015, 06:38 PM
Flag basketball (or actually, fag basketball) is perfect for the Pats and their cheesy dink pass offense that nobody defends properly.
Hey, they threw a deep post on their FIRST SCRIMMAGE PLAY in SB XLVI! One of those "rush is coming; throw a Hail Mary and hope the right guy runs under it or the refs throw a flag" plays Goodell's made an NFL staple, and sure enough, the refs DID throw a flag: For intentional grounding, because no one from either team was within 20 yds of that ball. And since it was thrown from the end zone....

HUGE play few people remember; it not only scored the games first points and rewarded the Giants for driving to just outside FG range on its opening possession, then making a great STs play to down the punt at the 2, but was why a FG couldn't help on NEs final drive: They trailed by 4, and even if NY had kicked the PAT instead of failing a 2 PAT (which they obviously would've without the safety) it would've been a 3 pt game so Brady only had to move NE to within range of a pretty good kicker to force OT.

Bit of a tangent, but I used to consider that all-time WORST initial scrimmage play by any SB team; wish I could still say that....

tomjonesrocks
01-22-2015, 07:34 PM
Ha, just saw Elway's "or mutually part ways" video people referred to in Kubiak's presser...he definitely did not seem amused by that reporter. "I wouldn't say 'bust'..." :)

dogfish
01-23-2015, 12:33 AM
broncos hire texans DL coach bill kollar (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/22/report-texans-d-line-coach-bill-kollar-to-join-gary-kubiak-in-denver/)

gettin' the baaaand back together, boys!

Simple Jaded
01-23-2015, 01:16 AM
broncos hire texans DL coach bill kollar (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/01/22/report-texans-d-line-coach-bill-kollar-to-join-gary-kubiak-in-denver/)

gettin' the baaaand back together, boys!

This is a great hire.

VonDoom
01-23-2015, 07:12 AM
This is a great hire.

I didn't know much about him, but from what I've seen, looks like a good move:

John McClain ‏@McClain_on_NFL 8h8 hours ago

Bill Kollar wants 2 B close to 2 grandsons who live in Denver. O'Brien allowed him to leave for a lateral job with Gary Kubiak.

Bill Kollar is a great D line coach. He's played a key role in JJ Watt's development. Classy move for O'Brien to let him go.

Jeff Legwold ‏@Jeff_Legwold 8h8 hours ago

Kollar an enormous get for Kubiak ... Considered an elite coach by his peers ... His presence will help all of #Broncos D linemen...

And the fact texans would let an assistant coach like Kollar out of contract and bengals wouldn't let Joseph out to be a coordinator ...

TXBRONC
01-23-2015, 08:12 AM
I didn't know much about him, but from what I've seen, looks like a good move:

Bill Kollar wants 2 B close to 2 grandsons who live in Denver. O'Brien allowed him to leave for a lateral job with Gary Kubiak.

Bill Kollar is a great D line coach. He's played a key role in JJ Watt's development. Classy move for O'Brien to let him go.

Kollar an enormous get for Kubiak ... Considered an elite coach by his peers ... His presence will help all of #Broncos D linemen...

And the fact texans would let an assistant coach like Kollar out of contract and bengals wouldn't let Joseph out to be a coordinator ...

The fact that he got to stay when Kubiak was fired says quite a bit.

Lancane
01-23-2015, 09:58 AM
Kollar is a great hire and a huge improvement over Rodgers who wasn't a shabby coach himself - he also worked with Phillips in Houston...so?

Joel
01-23-2015, 12:12 PM

Hey, give Cincy a break; they have all the pieces in place and NEED Joseph for another championship run that doesn't get past Wildcard Weekend. Just one season to go and they can tie KC and Detroit for most consecutive playoff losses in NFL history, and 5 years already earned them the record for most one-and-done seasons in consecutive YEARS. Poor Vance Joseph.... :(

TXBRONC
01-23-2015, 12:22 PM
Kollar is a great hire and a huge improvement over Rodgers who wasn't a shabby coach himself - he also worked with Phillips in Houston...so?

All I know is that when a head coach brings in a coach he's familiar with it's not always a bad thing.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-23-2015, 04:26 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27380381/broncos-add-bill-kollar-defensive-line-coach

Denver Native (Carol)
01-23-2015, 08:59 PM
A phone interview with Broncos former head Coach Dan Reeves who coached both Elway and Kubiak during his tenure with the team.

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multimedia/videos/Former-head-coach-Dan-Reeves-on-hiring-Kubiak/ef0644ee-0cfc-4b3d-adc2-dd6f8bca1448

Besides Dan speaking, many different pictures are shown

Joel
01-23-2015, 09:11 PM
Eek! I just saw this for a second scrolling down

read it as "Broncos hire Texans coach killer" and thought we'd signed Schaub to succeed Manning.:couch:

Simple Jaded
01-25-2015, 02:29 AM
Suddenly signing Matt Shaub to backup QB sounds like a great idea, he could help Manning/Os with the ins and outs.

TXBRONC
01-25-2015, 09:28 AM
Suddenly signing Matt Shaub to backup QB sounds like a great idea, he could help Manning/Os with the ins and outs.

Are the Raiders turning him loose?

Lancane
01-25-2015, 10:59 AM

Will not happen, Denver is saving that spot for the QBOF, whether that is Osweiler or someone else. Denver may go with three quarterbacks, but I see more youth then veteran in that regard.

Ravage!!!
01-25-2015, 03:08 PM

That sounds like a horrible idea to me.

TXBRONC
01-25-2015, 03:16 PM

Bringing in Schaub wouldn't be a bad idea but if they don't that's fine too.

Ravage!!!
01-25-2015, 03:17 PM
Bringing in Schaub wouldn't be a bad idea but if they don't that's fine too.

I guess that w ould depend on who the starter is. If the starter is Manning.... seems like a wasted roster spot to me. If the QB is OZ, I can see the benefit of having a vet that has run through the system.

TXBRONC
01-25-2015, 03:27 PM
I guess that w ould depend on who the starter is. If the starter is Manning.... seems like a wasted roster spot to me. If the QB is OZ, I can see the benefit of having a vet that has run through the system.

This seems like the most plausible scenario if Manning doesn't return which atm it's probably more likely Manning returns than him calling it a career.

Joel
01-25-2015, 07:56 PM
Was this a serious suggestion, or just a dig in response to

Eek! I read it as "Broncos hire Texans coach killer" and thought we'd signed Schaub to succeed Manning.:couch:

Simple Jaded
01-26-2015, 02:27 AM
Will not happen, Denver is saving that spot for the QBOF, whether that is Osweiler or someone else. Denver may go with three quarterbacks, but I see more youth then veteran in that regard.

A, I agree it won't happen.

B, Denver has youth at QB.

C, I kinda get the feeling Denver thinks Osweiler is the QBotF.

Stop riding Joels coattails.

Joel
01-26-2015, 03:25 AM
In other words, "No, that wasn't a serious suggestion, just someone nursing a personal grudge."

VonDoom
01-26-2015, 01:44 PM
I don't know where else to put this, but it seems to be related to Kubiak, so I figured this was as good a place as any. CBS has an article up about each team's potential targets in free agency. For us, it says:

Denver Broncos: New coach Gary Kubiak may lobby general manager and executive VP of football operations John Elway to pursue Texans right tackle Derek Newton. Shoring up the offensive line is particularly important if Peyton Manning returns for his 18th NFL season. Signing Newton, a connection from Kubiak's days as the Texans' coach, would allow Louis Vasquez to move back to right guard, his natural position.

Tight end Owen Daniels followed Kubiak from the Texans to the Ravens in 2014. The same thing could occur in 2015 because three of Denver's tight ends -- Virgil Green, Jacob Tamme and Julius Thomas -- are headed towards free agency.

Since running back is not an area of need for Denver, don't expect Kubiak to make a strong push for Forsett to join him in Denver despite Forsett's career year with the Ravens.

The rest: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/24996504/an-agents-take-connecting-dots-to-2015-nfl-free-agency

I kind of assumed Owen Daniels would make his way here. I don't know much about their RT, however, so I was wondering if anyone else did. IAOFM comments on that article and says:

Newton broke out somewhat in 2014, posting a plus-8.9 in 1,130 snaps after grading out at an atrocious minus-28.3 over 848 snaps the year before. The 6-6, 313-pounder is coming off the last year of his rookie contract, and turned 27 in November.

So it sounds like he was good last year, but was that his only good year?

The rest of that, btw: http://www.itsalloverfatman.com/prime-cuts/slice/rosterbation-derek-newton-an-option-for-broncos-at-rt

Joel
01-26-2015, 03:10 PM
Especially since it sounds like Orange Julius is gone. But I hadn't thought of Newton, mainly because I didn't realize his contract was up; he's not as good as Duane Brown, but still pretty good: He succeeded Eric Winston when the latter left as a FA, and kept the starting spot except when injury briefly promoted Ryan Harris (who might also make his way back to the team that drafted him now that he's a FA.) I can't put much stock in Newtons 2013 season, when Foster and Daniels were on IR and Schaub imploding: ANY lineman would look bad with what Houston had left at the "skill" positions.

I wanna say injury to Brown got Newton a few starts at LT, too, but don't quote me on that.

GEM
01-26-2015, 03:41 PM
Andrew Mason retweeted
Montee Ball @ballrb28 · 4h

Just got off the phone with our coach kubiak! Said he's excited to coach me!! Can't wait to work with him! I'll make it happen.. I swear.

Get in line, buddy. CJ is the starter. At least, I hope after his year, he earned it.

Lancane
01-26-2015, 03:51 PM
Get in line, buddy. CJ is the starter. At least, I hope after his year, he earned it.

I don't think we'll have just one Gem in all seriousness, we'll likely still have a committee but all four of Denver's backs will likely break out under Kubiak.