PDA

View Full Version : 6 losing season in the past 36

Jsteve01
01-17-2015, 12:18 PM
Just padding my numbers on quiz wiz this morning and saw that stat. Set all this offseason stuff aside for a moment and bask in the glory that is Broncos fandom. #Broncoscountry. #unitedinorange

Northman
01-17-2015, 12:30 PM
Indeed. Things could be a lot worse for sure but im glad even with our success that we dont settle for less. Once you do that you become the Browns and Raiders. lmao

Ravage!!!
01-17-2015, 12:52 PM
When Elway starts drafting the fastest man in the draft, much higher than they should go....then I know we are headed for Oakland territory.

Do you think that guys intentionally run just a "tad" slower so that they aren't the fastest, knowing the Raiders are going to draft them?

Jsteve01
01-17-2015, 01:41 PM
Indeed. Things could be a lot worse for sure but im glad even with our success that we dont settle for less. Once you do that you become the Browns and Raiders. lmao north you know I won't settle but we are so lucky to have such a fantastic team to root for

Valar Morghulis
01-17-2015, 01:51 PM
where does that rank amongst other teams?

Northman
01-17-2015, 02:07 PM
where does that rank amongst other teams?

Denver > Everyone else.

Lol. Ok, so that was biased.

Jsteve01
01-17-2015, 02:09 PM
Since the merger the Broncos are number 4 in wins. #3 in playoff births and # 3 I'm playoff wins. I'm pretty sure they rank higher in the past 36 seasons than that

tripleoption
01-17-2015, 03:22 PM
I can think of a whole bunch of teams that I'm sure their fans would love to have our problems. For me, Cincinnati, Cleveland, Houston, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Buffalo, Miami, NY Jets, KC, Oakland, Chicago, Detroit, Minnesota, Atlanta, Carolina, Tampa Bay, Arizona, and St Louis would all be rough places to be a fan. Of the ones left, while Washington has a great history, they've been a mess for years. All that being said, I expect nothing less than a Super Bowl team every year, and I think most of us feel the same way. We need to get better. I look at the teams I listed, and really how many of them have passionate fan bases like we have here? I think passionate and knowledgeable fan bases keep teams honest.

MOtorboat
01-17-2015, 03:25 PM
Dear Mr. Bowlen,

Thank you.

tripleoption
01-17-2015, 03:26 PM
Dear Mr. Bowlen,

Thank you.

That's another good point. We've had top notch ownership for years

Joel
01-17-2015, 04:58 PM
That's another good point. We've had top notch ownership for years
As much as Mr. Bowlen's rightly loved in Broncos Country, I'm still unsure he gets as much appreciation as deserved. How many awful owners regularly and permanently cripple once great franchises by cluelessly micromanaging player personnel and/or team philosophies, sticking by coaching chums who couldn't hack it at a second rate college, egocentrically hogging the limelight while shamming their whole organization or greedily abandon lifelong fans for a whole new city when taxpayers won't foot the billion dollar bill (yet surrender most of the profits) for a shiny skybox-filled stadium the 4-12 team can't fill?

Not Pat Bowlen: He's all class, and the results speak for themselves.

Dreadnought
01-17-2015, 07:41 PM
As much as Mr. Bowlen's rightly loved in Broncos Country, I'm still unsure he gets as much appreciation as deserved. How many awful owners regularly and permanently cripple once great franchises by cluelessly micromanaging player personnel and/or team philosophies, sticking by coaching chums who couldn't hack it at a second rate college, egocentrically hogging the limelight while shamming their whole organization or greedily abandon lifelong fans for a whole new city when taxpayers won't foot the billion dollar bill (yet surrender most of the profits) for a shiny skybox-filled stadium the 4-12 team can't fill?

I believe his name is Dan Snyder

tripleoption
01-17-2015, 08:33 PM

I think you're spot on here. If you look at the list of teams I posted above, what you said about ownership problems fits a lot of them, including teams I didn't list, like Dallas.

Joel
01-17-2015, 09:09 PM
I believe his name is Dan Snyder
Just one of far too many, as tripleoption noted; I started to list all those that came to mind, but realized there'd be at least a dozen even if I forgot a few. There may be more francises with bad owners than good ones, which makes one wonder how a lot of those guys managed to do well enough to join the NFLs billionaire boys club in the first place. But then, a number inherited their team along with their (other) wealth from billionaire relatives whose intelligence and effort ensured their heirs could make costly blunders till they qualified for SS and STILL want for nothing.

Just be glad Pat Bowlen bought the Broncos instead of Richard Hilton, else the team would probably end up in L.A. with a chihuahua for a mascot (chihuahuas are hot.... *dull stare*)

tripleoption
01-17-2015, 09:27 PM
Just one of far too many, as tripleoption noted; I started to list all those that came to mind, but realized there'd be at least a dozen even if I forgot a few. There may be more francises with bad owners than good ones, which makes one wonder how a lot of those guys managed to do well enough to join the NFLs billionaire boys club in the first place. But then, a number inherited their team along with their (other) wealth from billionaire relatives whose intelligence and effort ensured their heirs could make costly blunders till they qualified for SS and STILL want for nothing.

Just be glad Pat Bowlen bought the Broncos instead of Richard Hilton, else the team would probably end up in L.A. with a chihuahua for a mascot (chihuahuas are hot.... *dull stare*)

Heck, it might be easier to just list teams with strong ownership than questionable ownership. I don't pay much if any attention to what owners do, and I'm sure I'll be told if I'm wrong here,but off the top of my head it seems to me the teams with fairly solid owners are Pittsburgh, New England, Denver, New Orleans, the New York Giants, and Baltimore. It seems like Kansas City had fairly solid ownership under Lamar Hunt, notwithstanding their playoff failures since Super Bowl IV. I'm not sure where Green Bay would fit since they're publicly owned, but it's hard to deny their success over the past 20 years.

Softskull
01-17-2015, 09:36 PM
Living out here in the shadow of Oakland, Bronco fans should be thankful.

The Oakland fans are now (purposely) spitting on themselves. Pathetic.

Slick
01-17-2015, 10:02 PM

Great post Joel.

Joel
01-18-2015, 12:48 PM
Heck, it might be easier to just list teams with strong ownership than questionable ownership. I don't pay much if any attention to what owners do, and I'm sure I'll be told if I'm wrong here,but off the top of my head it seems to me the teams with fairly solid owners are Pittsburgh, New England, Denver, New Orleans, the New York Giants, and Baltimore. It seems like Kansas City had fairly solid ownership under Lamar Hunt, notwithstanding their playoff failures since Super Bowl IV. I'm not sure where Green Bay would fit since they're publicly owned, but it's hard to deny their success over the past 20 years.
I went through it in my head last night on the way to sleep (because that's the kind of thing I do) and could only think of about a dozen owners I wouldn't avoid like the plague they are. That's barely a third.

Thank God and Mr. Bowlen we're one of them.