PDA

View Full Version : Joel Dreessen's thoughts on Kubiak

GEM
01-17-2015, 12:19 AM
http:// http://sportsshow.denverpost.com/2015/01/16/gary-kubiak-is-interviewing-for-the-broncos-head-coach-position/ (http://sportsshow.denverpost.com/2015/01/16/gary-kubiak-is-interviewing-for-the-broncos-head-coach-position/)

This is a good read. Player perspective playing under Kubes and Fox. I seriously hope Kubes is our guy!

Davii
01-17-2015, 12:28 AM
The following part is for anyone that doesn't think Kubes brings that fire to a team:

… Saturday nights, when coach Gary Kubiak would speak, everybody in that room would get chills on their arms. We’d all go to team snack just all fired up ready to run through a brick wall for the guy. There’s an element of ho-hum to John Fox, where Saturday nights you walk out of there like, ‘All right, it’s another ball-game.’ You want to bleed for a guy like Gary Kubiak.

aberdien
01-17-2015, 12:40 AM
His thoughts give me hope.

GEM
01-17-2015, 12:42 AM
Thanks Matt...that was the most interesting to me, but my phone is crap for the job of quoting. :lol:

DenBronx
01-17-2015, 12:42 AM
The following part is for anyone that doesn't think Kubes brings that fire to a team:

… Saturday nights, when coach Gary Kubiak would speak, everybody in that room would get chills on their arms. We’d all go to team snack just all fired up ready to run through a brick wall for the guy. There’s an element of ho-hum to John Fox, where Saturday nights you walk out of there like, ‘All right, it’s another ball-game.’ You want to bleed for a guy like Gary Kubiak.

I like that part. Fox is a good dude but at times he is too nonchalant. When you have everything on the line like we did you can't have that attitude. It should have been balls to the walls, win now.

chazoe60
01-17-2015, 01:03 AM
Maybe hiring Kubes will open up the door to bring Dreessen back. I always really liked Dreessen and honestly thought he was underutilized here.

Davii
01-17-2015, 01:06 AM
Maybe hiring Kubes will open up the door to bring Dreessen back. I always really liked Dreessen and honestly thought he was underutilized here.

He retired because he couldn't pass a physical. It was said both parties wanted him back but he just couldn't do it anymore. He got pretty emotional about it on his weekly spot on 104.3 once.

chazoe60
01-17-2015, 01:08 AM
He retired because he couldn't pass a physical. It was said both parties wanted him back but he just couldn't do it anymore. He got pretty emotional about it on his weekly spot on 104.3 once.

Really? I never knew that. Not sure how I missed that.

Davii
01-17-2015, 01:16 AM
This article makes it sound as though he would take a year to heal and try to come back somewhere, but on the radio he didn't sound as though that was in the cards.

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_26195593/joel-dreessen-released-denver-broncos-failed-physical

OrangeHoof
01-17-2015, 02:45 AM
This is so different than the Gary Kubiak I watched in Houston. He's a wonderful guy and Elway has an emotional attachment to him but, frankly, he's a terrific OC but an uninspiring HC. Here are some of my criticisms of his tenure in Houston. If he gets the job in Denver, come back to this thread and tell me you don't disagree with any of this.

1) His teams never hit back or fought hard against tough teams. As infuriating as it was to see Matt Schaub suffer several cheap shots over the years (remember the Joe Mays hit or the Suh kick in the nuts on Thanksgiving?), you'll notice: His teammates never took exception or cheap-shotted the other team in retaliation. Never. They'd fold like a cheap suitcase against any team that tried to bully them. Guys like Dreesen may have thought they would run through a brick wall for Kubiak but the brick wall always won.

2) Kubiak can't even watch critical field goal attempts. That's leadership? He'd turn his back and watch the crowd reaction.

3) The offense he runs is essentially the West Coast offense, circa 1998. It hasn't advanced an inch since then. It was becoming so predictable that I could sit in bars and tell everyone around me what was coming, especially on third and short (handoff to the left side of the line) or third and long (pass approx. three yards in front of the sticks and hope the receiver could get the rest for the first down). If those two plays frustrate you, you'll grow to hate this gameplan. Rollouts and bootlegs are great plays but not until you have a top RB in place or it just blows up.

4) Be prepared for the Kubiak signature play - the "slow white boy reverse". For several years, this was Kevin Walter's play. Before that, it was probably Ed McCaffrey's. Take your slowest receiver and run a reverse with him that would ultimately get run down in the backfield. Kubiak thinks the element of surprise will catch the defense off guard but, even if it does, today's DBs and LBs can still run down the slow white boy before he gets very far. He rarely tries this play with the *fast* receivers where it might have a chance to work.

Remember that 4th down play against the Patriots last week that killed a Ravens drive they needed to stay ahead? Everyone saying it was a crummy call. Why run that when your regular running back is gashing out yards? I haven't seen the play but I'll bet it was Gary's signature play call. And it failed. Big time.

Kubiak, by his own admission, has little to do with the defense or special teams. That means we'd need top notch guys to get those parts of the game humming. Kubiak was an offensive coordinator masquerading as a head coach and if Denver signs him, they better be prepared to see that all over again.

I love Gary Kubiak, the player and OC, but the game has passed him by and he's ill-equipped to be a head coach, much less a head coach for a team with very high asperations.

Jsteve01
01-17-2015, 03:11 AM
This is so different than the Gary Kubiak I watched in Houston. He's a wonderful guy and Elway has an emotional attachment to him but, frankly, he's a terrific OC but an uninspiring HC. Here are some of my criticisms of his tenure in Houston. If he gets the job in Denver, come back to this thread and tell me you don't disagree with any of this.

1) His teams never hit back or fought hard against tough teams. As infuriating as it was to see Matt Schaub suffer several cheap shots over the years (remember the Joe Mays hit or the Suh kick in the nuts on Thanksgiving?), you'll notice: His teammates never took exception or cheap-shotted the other team in retaliation. Never. They'd fold like a cheap suitcase against any team that tried to bully them. Guys like Dreesen may have thought they would run through a brick wall for Kubiak but the brick wall always won.

2) Kubiak can't even watch critical field goal attempts. That's leadership? He'd turn his back and watch the crowd reaction.

3) The offense he runs is essentially the West Coast offense, circa 1998. It hasn't advanced an inch since then. It was becoming so predictable that I could sit in bars and tell everyone around me what was coming, especially on third and short (handoff to the left side of the line) or third and long (pass approx. three yards in front of the sticks and hope the receiver could get the rest for the first down). If those two plays frustrate you, you'll grow to hate this gameplan. Rollouts and bootlegs are great plays but not until you have a top RB in place or it just blows up.

4) Be prepared for the Kubiak signature play - the "slow white boy reverse". For several years, this was Kevin Walter's play. Before that, it was probably Ed McCaffrey's. Take your slowest receiver and run a reverse with him that would ultimately get run down in the backfield. Kubiak thinks the element of surprise will catch the defense off guard but, even if it does, today's DBs and LBs can still run down the slow white boy before he gets very far. He rarely tries this play with the *fast* receivers where it might have a chance to work.

Remember that 4th down play against the Patriots last week that killed a Ravens drive they needed to stay ahead? Everyone saying it was a crummy call. Why run that when your regular running back is gashing out yards? I haven't seen the play but I'll bet it was Gary's signature play call. And it failed. Big time.

Kubiak, by his own admission, has little to do with the defense or special teams. That means we'd need top notch guys to get those parts of the game humming. Kubiak was an offensive coordinator masquerading as a head coach and if Denver signs him, they better be prepared to see that all over again.

I love Gary Kubiak, the player and OC, but the game has passed him by and he's ill-equipped to be a head coach, much less a head coach for a team with very high asperations. I'll trust the guys that played for him and john elway

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-17-2015, 04:07 AM
I like it

Northman
01-17-2015, 05:09 AM

I love Gary Kubiak, the player and OC, but the game has passed him by and he's ill-equipped to be a head coach, much less a head coach for a team with very high asperations.

You may be right on some of your points but as previously stated before sometimes a second go round for a HC is better because they learn from the first time. Also, that 4th down call i can guarantee you was made by Harbaugh, not Kubes.

Joel
01-17-2015, 06:33 AM
Fox’s practices, Dreessen said, tended to be longer and slower and filled with meetings that would extend through much of the day. Meetings under Kubiak had a purpose, he said.

“With Coach Kubiak, the practice was as fast as can be. We were moving from drill to drill. If you were walking, you were wrong. You were getting yelled at.”

“He would never let his team step on the field that uninspired, especially when it mattered most. There’s no doubt in my mind.”
It's depressing how plausible all that is, how clearly it showed in virtually every big Broncos game with Fox. Makes the idea a guy like that could or would coach up our physically gifted but incredibly raw previous QB a pathetic joke. Really hoping we can land Kubes, especially if he brings Denny along with him again. I did see an article somewhere claiming Houston was on the short list of teams Manning wanted in 2012 but THEY rejected HIM to keep Schaub, even though Schaub singlehandedly keeping an otherwise great roster out of contention was why I wanted Manning there. Reckon we'll see.

DenBronx
01-17-2015, 06:54 AM
The game does evolve though. Some of these older coaches dont know how to adapt to the speed of the game and that's what worries me about Kubiak or Shanahan. One think Bill Belichick does is evolve and even the best defenses cant beat him at times. Pete Carroll brought the element of suprise to the NFL...who out there can do that for us?

OrangeHoof
01-17-2015, 07:15 AM
It kinda shows how jaded Broncos fans are that seasons of 13-3 and 12-4 shows the coaches have no character and just went through the motions. I guess that's why the Bears and Raiders couldn't wait to sign those no-character coaches and the OC was supposedly on everyone's A-list to join them. I seem to recall a lot of big wins the past two years and, yes, some disappointments but they sound like the Bama fans who think Nick Saban isn't good enough because he lost his last two bowl games handily.

Joel
01-17-2015, 07:20 AM
Well, there were similar fan back-and-forths about our lines woes: The fans aren't the only ones saying this; current and former players are saying it, and Elway's implicitly saying it without explicitly singling out anyone. I mean, when he's repeatedly forced to leave his preferred behind the scenes role and make rallying speeches that SHOULD be coming from the coach, who publicly admits not preparing the team for a SUPER BOWL, then Elway tells the press he doesn't expect us to lose without going down kicking and screaming the whole way... many fans have seen Foxs flaws, but not JUST fans, by any means.

Northman
01-17-2015, 07:29 AM
The game does evolve though. Some of these older coaches dont know how to adapt to the speed of the game and that's what worries me about Kubiak or Shanahan. One think Bill Belichick does is evolve and even the best defenses cant beat him at times. Pete Carroll brought the element of suprise to the NFL...who out there can do that for us?

The funny thing about Carroll is i actually thought he was a decent NFL coach his first time around with the Jets. The W/L record never reflected that but i thought he was doing some nice things there. He had some success in NE but i kind of felt at the time the Jets really didnt give him a legitimate shot.

Joel
01-17-2015, 07:46 AM
By the bye, I know it's tricky to spell, but can a mod edit the post title so Dreessens name isn't MISspelled?

GEM
01-17-2015, 08:16 AM
Thanks, Professor Joel.

GEM
01-17-2015, 08:40 AM
By the bye, I know it's tricky to spell, but can a mod edit the post title so Dreessens name isn't MISspelled?

Maybe while you're correcting things, you could add an apostrophe to Dreessen's name and nothing in the word misspelled should have been capitalized.

TXBRONC
01-17-2015, 08:52 AM
http:// http://sportsshow.denverpost.com/2015/01/16/gary-kubiak-is-interviewing-for-the-broncos-head-coach-position/ (http://sportsshow.denverpost.com/2015/01/16/gary-kubiak-is-interviewing-for-the-broncos-head-coach-position/)

This is a good read. Player perspective playing under Kubes and Fox. I seriously hope Kubes is our guy!

Comments have been made here that Kubiak is just another version of Fox, but a player who has actually played for both says differently. Interesting.

TXBRONC
01-17-2015, 08:56 AM

Someone who actually played for him says differently.

Joel
01-17-2015, 09:44 AM
Maybe while you're correcting things, you could add an apostrophe to Dreessen's name and nothing in the word misspelled should have been capitalized.
Apostrophes signify elision, and English possessives haven't been formed in "es" since Chaucer died, so the apostrophe necessary then has been superfluous for centuries. The prefix in "misspelled" was capitalized for emphasis, as you surely know. I wasn't trying to be anal or belligerent before, but if we're gonna quote a guy at length it's only just to get his name right.

Valar Morghulis
01-17-2015, 09:48 AM
Apostrophes signify elision, and English possessives haven't been formed in "es" since Chaucer died, so the apostrophe necessary then has been superfluous for centuries. The prefix in "misspelled" was capitalized for emphasis, as you surely know. I wasn't trying to be anal or belligerent before, but if we're gonna quote a guy at length it's only just to get his name right.

Don't talk shite.

That should have had an apostrophe and you know it.

Humility can be a virtue.

Northman
01-17-2015, 09:52 AM
It kinda shows how jaded Broncos fans are that seasons of 13-3 and 12-4 shows the coaches have no character and just went through the motions. I guess that's why the Bears and Raiders couldn't wait to sign those no-character coaches and the OC was supposedly on everyone's A-list to join them. I seem to recall a lot of big wins the past two years and, yes, some disappointments but they sound like the Bama fans who think Nick Saban isn't good enough because he lost his last two bowl games handily.

I think you are reading a little too much into the criticisms. You can be a good coach but not necessarily a great coach. Marty Shottenheimer was a perfect example of that, he could have a long list of winning seasons but could never get his teams over the hump. So while having success with 10-13 win seasons it never translated to a SB championhip. While Fox has done a good job and actually gone further than Shotty in terms of reaching a SB he is also 0-2 with one of them being a complete embarrassment. I dont think your comparison with Saban is very good because at least Saban has been able to win championships at the collegiate level. Bronco fans are perfectly fine with the past 3 seasons in terms of success and wins but there does come a point when you need to take it a step further and actually win the game that matters most. Its one thing to pull something out of your ass when you have a guy like Tebow leading your team, its something entirely different when your team is loaded with talent and you go one and done 2 out of 3 years in the playoffs. The expectations with the Manning lead teams become far more than if we still had Tebow at the helm.

OrangeHoof
01-17-2015, 10:37 AM
I think you are reading a little too much into the criticisms. You can be a good coach but not necessarily a great coach. Marty Shottenheimer was a perfect example of that, he could have a long list of winning seasons but could never get his teams over the hump. So while having success with 10-13 win seasons it never translated to a SB championhip. While Fox has done a good job and actually gone further than Shotty in terms of reaching a SB he is also 0-2 with one of them being a complete embarrassment. I dont think your comparison with Saban is very good because at least Saban has been able to win championships at the collegiate level. Bronco fans are perfectly fine with the past 3 seasons in terms of success and wins but there does come a point when you need to take it a step further and actually win the game that matters most. Its one thing to pull something out of your ass when you have a guy like Tebow leading your team, its something entirely different when your team is loaded with talent and you go one and done 2 out of 3 years in the playoffs. The expectations with the Manning lead teams become far more than if we still had Tebow at the helm.

And what, other than being Elway's roomie for a decade, would let anyone think Kubiak would do better? His teams never won beyond the first week of the playoffs despite having an AFC rushing champ, a future Hall of Fame wide receiver and J.J. Watt?

Fox had led teams to two Super Bowls, not just with Manning but with Jake Freakin Delhomme as his quarterback.

If you want to diss on Fox, go right ahead but don't pretend Kubiak will be an improvement because he won't be. I'm a Bronco fan and I'd love to be wrong but I also live in Texans country and watched most Texans games during Kubiak's time down here. He isn't what you want from a head coach to reach the Super Bowl. It's just glaringly obvious. Why do you think the Texans fired him during a 2-14 season in 2013?

CoachChaz
01-17-2015, 10:58 AM

And what, other than being Elway's roomie for a decade, would let anyone think Kubiak would do better? His teams never won beyond the first week of the playoffs despite having an AFC rushing champ, a future Hall of Fame wide receiver and J.J. Watt?

Fox had led teams to two Super Bowls, not just with Manning but with Jake Freakin Delhomme as his quarterback.

If you want to diss on Fox, go right ahead but don't pretend Kubiak will be an improvement because he won't be. I'm a Bronco fan and I'd love to be wrong but I also live in Texans country and watched most Texans games during Kubiak's time down here. He isn't what you want from a head coach to reach the Super Bowl. It's just glaringly obvious. Why do you think the Texans fired him during a 2-14 season in 2013?

I think it just pisses you off that we might have an Aggie running the show. Lol

Northman
01-17-2015, 10:59 AM
And what, other than being Elway's roomie for a decade, would let anyone think Kubiak would do better?

What makes anyone think that Harbaugh, Quinn, Gase, etc will do better? I mean, if we had a crystal ball it would be easy to decide who can get us where we want to be right?

And he also lost those, one which wasnt even close.

If you want to diss on Fox, go right ahead but don't pretend Kubiak will be an improvement because he won't be.

Again, its not about dissing Fox. Just judging by his coaching habits over the course of 12 years or so.

Why do you think the Texans fired him during a 2-14 season in 2013?

Im actually the wrong guy to ask that question because i thought the Texans should of fired him 2 years prior to that season. Not that i think Kubes was necessarily bad, just that i saw back then that he had pretty much hit his wall in terms of getting that particular team over the hump.

But, as i stated before there have been a lot of coaches who didnt do well in their first stint of coaching and ended up learning and improving upon that. Will Kubiak be that guy? No idea. But, we dont know how a unknown guy like Quinn or anyone else will do either so to single out Kubiak and writing him as a failure is a bit naive in my opinion. The bonus with Kubiak is that he is familiar with Denver, he is familiar with Elway and believe it or not having a good relationship with you HC goes a long way. Especially if you are both on the same page in terms of direction.

Northman
01-17-2015, 11:00 AM
I think it just pisses you off that we might have an Aggie running the show. Lol

I really hope thats not the case. That would be the gayest reason for not wanting a coach.

Joel
01-17-2015, 11:05 AM
Don't talk shite.

That should have had an apostrophe and you know it.
I know no such thing: The apostrophe long ago lost ITS confusing needless place in possessives. Retaining it for all but ONE possessive compounds existing flaws with inconsistency, and the LAST thing English needs is MORE inconsistency. Apostrophes replace missing letters, and "Dreesens name" lacks none, so needs no more apostrophes than "its confusing needless place" does. My posts may not perfectly adhere to that principle, but not for lack of trying; IT'S far from the the first time I've posted like that.

Humility can be a virtue.
Indeed, but I neither felt not expressed any pride here, only sought to avoid the embarrassment of ambiguity, redundancy and indecisiveness.

GEM
01-17-2015, 11:09 AM

You could have MHS it just like you did after I changed it. Good grief.

spikerman
01-17-2015, 11:14 AM
This is the quote that stood out to me from the article:

There’s an element of ho-hum to John Fox, where Saturday nights you walk out of there like, ‘All right, it’s another ball-game.’
This is exactly how the Broncos played in both the SB and the playoff game this year. If there is a huge difference to next year's team, I hope this is it. Play like you actually care whether you win or lose.

Joel
01-17-2015, 11:29 AM
And SCHAUB; that cannot be overstressed. How exactly did his team turn an UNDRAFTED guy into that All Pro NFL Rushing Champ? Maybe the same way they turned an UNDRAFTED rookie QB into a division champ and playoff winner? His teams "never" won BEYOND the playoffs first round? He was there all of six years on an expansion team that was 2-14 when he got there: He built them from NOTHING into a division champ that won its first playoff game two years straight. He did better as their HC than as Denvers OC, but succeeded with both, just as he has as Baltimores OC.

Ever wonder if Jake Freakin Delhomme might have been a little more impressive playing a little less Foxball? They were out of that SB Fox "led" them to on the strength of FOUR OT wins (the same way he "led" Tebow to the divisional round) until Fox finally took the strait jacket off Delhomme and let him wing his way to a 19 pt quarter that overcame a two-score lead and briefly gained the LEAD before Brady lit up Foxs D again (even though Fox is a former DB and supposed defensive genius) and won it by a FG. Who carried whom in that game? RUNNING didn't erase a two-score second half lead against Belicheats D.

Austin's Longhorns and Cowboys country, and that's not what I saw living there then (and long before.) I saw the Texans playing second fiddle TV filler (if that) to the "real teams" whose fans sneered at Kubiak "failing" to take a 2-14 expansion team to the playoffs through Mannings 14-2 Colts; c'mon, Kubes, you had FOUR WHOLE YEARS to turn a Division II club into a contender despite McNair sticking you with a glorified Kyle Orton: What's wrong with you?

He improved their record 4/6 seasons, and his only losing seasons were the first and the injury-plagued final one during Schaubs record-setting meltdown. With a five-year-old 2-14 team that had NOTHING but Andre Johnson and Mario Williams when Kubes got there. Kubiaks unforgivable sin in Houston was not coaching the Longhorns or Cowboys.

Joel
01-17-2015, 11:30 AM
You could have MHS it just like you did after I changed it. Good grief.
You're right: I missed the fact you started the thread (sorry, I really wan't trying to call you out or anything.)

CoachChaz
01-17-2015, 12:04 PM

I really hope thats not the case. That would be the gayest reason for not wanting a coach.

It was a joke...as least I hope it was

chazoe60
01-17-2015, 12:18 PM
One thing I don't see mentioned enough is how awesome CJ Anderson could be in Kubes' (hope I used the apostrophe correctly) offense. I absolutely can't wait to see that stud running those zone stretch plays.

Ziggy
01-17-2015, 12:31 PM
One thing I don't see mentioned enough is how awesome CJ Anderson could be in Kubes' (hope I used the apostrophe correctly) offense. I absolutely can't wait to see that stud running those zone stretch plays.

It's been mentioned in other threads. Think about this. Justin Forsett led the league in yards before contact. The last half of the season, CJ led the league in yards after contact. Put the two together. (Yes, I trust Elway to fix the Oline) CJ is in for a huge year if Kubes comes here.

OrangeHoof
01-17-2015, 01:06 PM

It's not the reason at all. I even watched Kubiak play when he was at Kingwood HS before he became an Aggie. There's nothing to dislike about the guy personally. I just think the Texans exposed his limitations. He has too soft a temperment. He runs an offense that the rest of the league has figured out and he's totally hands off on defense and special teams. If you don't see that yet, you will if Elway hires him.

Elway was quoted recently that part of the toughest thing in his learning to be CEO/GM is firing people he considers his friends. With Kubiak, I'm afraid he's going to be learning that lesson again.

Ravage!!!
01-17-2015, 01:09 PM
It's not the reason at all. I even watched Kubiak play when he was at Kingwood HS before he became an Aggie. There's nothing to dislike about the guy personally. I just think the Texans exposed his limitations. He has too soft a temperment. He runs an offense that the rest of the league has figured out and he's totally hands off on defense and special teams. If you don't see that yet, you will if Elway hires him.

Elway was quoted recently that part of the toughest thing in his learning to be CEO/GM is firing people he considers his friends. With Kubiak, I'm afraid he's going to be learning that lesson again.

The entire league has figured out...yet improved the Ravens offense tremendously since becoming the OC. :confused:

OrangeHoof
01-17-2015, 01:39 PM
Houston knew what was coming in late December. Go back and look at how successful the Ravens' offense was that day.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201412210htx.htm

Jsteve01
01-17-2015, 01:44 PM
Houston knew what was coming in late December. Go back and look at how successful the Ravens' offense was that day.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/201412210htx.htm dude I wasn't so hot on Kubiak at first. But come on be willing to look at stats without your bias. Flacco just had his best season ever in his first year with Kubes and they nearly beat the class of the AFC at their house. Forsett was top 5 in the league as well.

aberdien
01-17-2015, 01:52 PM

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/by+the+by

silkamilkamonico
01-17-2015, 01:53 PM
Kubiak may work out in Denver, for the sake of the Broncos let's hope so if he is hired.

But people need to stop defending what he did in Houston. Orange said it best, it was uninspiring. We can read all the quotes we want about him being a rah rah guy and the players love him, but his tenure in Houston was very similiar to John Fox in Carolina, and it isn't very impressive. O'Brien has taken basically the same team Kubes went 2-14 with and gone 9-7 with, and some would argue Houston's roster isn't the same as last year. That may be deceptive though because O'Brien is one hell of a coach and going to have Houston among the AFCElite in the next few years IMHO.

silkamilkamonico
01-17-2015, 01:53 PM
dude I wasn't so hot on Kubiak at first. But come on be willing to look at stats without your bias. Flacco just had his best season ever in his first year with Kubes and they nearly beat the class of the AFC at their house. Forsett was top 5 in the league as well.

No denying Kubes is a great OC. WIsh we could get him as an OC.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-17-2015, 02:07 PM
Kubes as HC in Houston

Gary Kubiak has transformed the Houston Texans from a two-win club into back-to-back AFC South division champions and one of the most well-rounded teams in the NFL since taking the reins as head coach in 2006. Kubiak’s offensive system has consistently ranked among the NFL’s best and he has used a talented roster and coaching staff to key the ascension of Houston’s defense.

Kubiak was named the AFC Coach of the Year by Kansas City-based NFL 101 after leading the Texans to a 10-6 regular season record and the franchise’s first AFC South division crown, playoff berth and playoff win in 2011. The Houston native followed up that landmark campaign in 2012 with a 12-4 record, another AFC South crown and a second consecutive trip to the Divisional round of the playoffs. He has a franchise-record 61 wins (including the playoffs) since being named the second head coach of the Houston Texans on Jan. 26, 2006.

The Texans have had the five best seasons in franchise history under Kubiak’s guidance, going 8-8 in 2007 and 2008 before producing the first winning season in team history in 2009 at 9-7, and the 2011 and 2012 playoff seasons. Kubiak’s tenure has been marked by offensive proficiency, producing the top six scoring, total offense and passing season marks in franchise history from 2007-12. Houston and Denver are the only two teams in the NFL to produce at least one top-five total offense, rushing offense and passing offense performance since 2008. The top three rushing seasons in franchise history have come on Kubiak’s watch as well, including a franchise-record 153.0 yards per game in 2011, which ranked second in the NFL.

Four of the Texans’ top five defensive seasons have come under Kubiak, including the third-largest defensive turnaround in NFL history from 2010 to 2011. The 2011 Texans gave up 285.7 yards per game to rank second in the League after giving up 376.9 yards per game and ranking 30th in 2010.

rest - http://www.houstontexans.com/team/coaches/gary-kubiak/948dab3c-d051-473c-824e-368984c7fa15

NightTerror218
01-17-2015, 02:10 PM
Kubes has been my favorite coach for this job since he was fired. I knew John Fox was not the coach for long haul. He is a very sound coach.

Kubes is just a good coach. He led Houston to first playoffs. He took over a crappy team and made them good. He made a pro bowler out of Shaub at times.

From this read, he can inspire. That is what this team is missing. Someone who can set a fire under them. We do not have that vocal player that can pump a team up. We have leader but no fiery leaders like Dawkins. I think a hyped up team can player to higher potential that a prepared a team that is all business.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-17-2015, 02:13 PM
The Ravens have the kind of offense that quarterback Joe Flacco has talked about for years.

After more than a decade of consistently ranking in the middle of the pack or lower in most statistical categories, the Ravens are now one of the NFL’s top-10 offenses. They are on pace to finish the year as the best in franchise history.

“We have the potential to be the best and have been probably playing the most consistent and the best since I’ve been here,” Flacco said.

Baltimore has not finished with a top-10 total offense since the franchise’s second season in 1997. This year, the Ravens rank in the top 10 in yards per game, rushing offense, points per game and touchdowns scored.

AND

The success has come during Offensive Coordinator Gary Kubiak’s first season in Baltimore. The experienced play caller didn’t take long to turn around a unit that finished 29th in the league last year in total offense, and Kubiak’s system caught in on quickly with his new team.

full article - http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/article-1/2014-Offense-Could-Be-Best-In-Ravens-History/80d5d747-6cbb-4d52-84aa-19d4a74f09e3

TXBRONC
01-17-2015, 02:43 PM
Kubes has been my favorite coach for this job since he was fired. I knew John Fox was not the coach for long haul. He is a very sound coach.

Kubes is just a good coach. He led Houston to first playoffs. He took over a crappy team and made them good. He made a pro bowler out of Shaub at times.

From this read, he can inspire. That is what this team is missing. Someone who can set a fire under them. We do not have that vocal player that can pump a team up. We have leader but no fiery leaders like Dawkins. I think a hyped up team can player to higher potential that a prepared a team that is all business.

The more I think about the more I like the idea of Kubiak being Denver's head coach.

aberdien
01-17-2015, 02:51 PM
The more I think about the more I like the idea of Kubiak being Denver's head coach.

Initially I didn't think he would be that big of an improvement and I didn't think his hiring would be exciting at all. Now i'm excited to have a coach who is good offensively and who possesses a different coaching style than Fox. And it'd be exciting to have a HC who wants to be in Denver.

NightTerror218
01-17-2015, 02:53 PM
Initially I didn't think he would be that big of an improvement and I didn't think his hiring would be exciting at all. Now i'm excited to have a coach who is good offensively and who possesses a different coaching style than Fox. And it'd be exciting to have a HC who wants to be in Denver.

How about a coach that can inspire and talk up his team?

Joel
01-17-2015, 05:03 PM
http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/by+the+by
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/by+the+bye

Joel
01-17-2015, 05:11 PM
Kubiak may work out in Denver, for the sake of the Broncos let's hope so if he is hired.

But people need to stop defending what he did in Houston. Orange said it best, it was uninspiring. We can read all the quotes we want about him being a rah rah guy and the players love him, but his tenure in Houston was very similiar to John Fox in Carolina, and it isn't very impressive. O'Brien has taken basically the same team Kubes went 2-14 with and gone 9-7 with, and some would argue Houston's roster isn't the same as last year. That may be deceptive though because O'Brien is one hell of a coach and going to have Houston among the AFCElite in the next few years IMHO.
Right, O'Brien had basically the same team—except Schaub wasn't breaking NFL pick-six records, Arian Foster played 5 more games and Brian Cushing played TWICE as many. How the heck is winning the division and a playoff game two years running a fluke and failure, but ONE season when the QB melted down and all the best players except Andre Johnson went to IR is the represenative norm?

The guy took over a 5-year-old 2-14 team and made them better both overnight and in 4 of 6 seasons. His only losing seasons with 2-14 infant team were the first (when he TRIPLED their wins) and last (when Schaub going China Syndrome while the rest of the teams stars wound up on crutches somehow meant Kubes "failed.") O'Brien's done better this year because it was still a strong team once everyone was healthy: It just needs a QB; too bad the same owner who stuck them with Schaub has now stuck them with Fitzpatrick.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-17-2015, 06:28 PM

Did you read this?

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/co...e-368984c7fa15

Now that link is not opening - so I will bump my post which shows what Kubes accomplished in Houston

Denver Native (Carol)
01-17-2015, 06:32 PM
Kubes as HC in Houston

rest - http://www.houstontexans.com/team/coaches/gary-kubiak/948dab3c-d051-473c-824e-368984c7fa15

bump

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-17-2015, 06:33 PM
Did you read this?

http://www.houstontexans.com/team/co...e-368984c7fa15

Now that link is not opening - so I will bump my post which shows what Kubes accomplished in Houston

Can you copy and paste Carol? It says page not found from my mobile device.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-17-2015, 06:50 PM
Can you copy and paste Carol? It says page not found from my mobile device.

Gary Kubiak has transformed the Houston Texans from a two-win club into back-to-back AFC South division champions and one of the most well-rounded teams in the NFL since taking the reins as head coach in 2006. Kubiak’s offensive system has consistently ranked among the NFL’s best and he has used a talented roster and coaching staff to key the ascension of Houston’s defense.

Kubiak was named the AFC Coach of the Year by Kansas City-based NFL 101 after leading the Texans to a 10-6 regular season record and the franchise’s first AFC South division crown, playoff berth and playoff win in 2011. The Houston native followed up that landmark campaign in 2012 with a 12-4 record, another AFC South crown and a second consecutive trip to the Divisional round of the playoffs. He has a franchise-record 61 wins (including the playoffs) since being named the second head coach of the Houston Texans on Jan. 26, 2006.

The Texans have had the five best seasons in franchise history under Kubiak’s guidance, going 8-8 in 2007 and 2008 before producing the first winning season in team history in 2009 at 9-7, and the 2011 and 2012 playoff seasons. Kubiak’s tenure has been marked by offensive proficiency, producing the top six scoring, total offense and passing season marks in franchise history from 2007-12. Houston and Denver are the only two teams in the NFL to produce at least one top-five total offense, rushing offense and passing offense performance since 2008. The top three rushing seasons in franchise history have come on Kubiak’s watch as well, including a franchise-record 153.0 yards per game in 2011, which ranked second in the NFL.

Four of the Texans’ top five defensive seasons have come under Kubiak, including the third-largest defensive turnaround in NFL history from 2010 to 2011. The 2011 Texans gave up 285.7 yards per game to rank second in the League after giving up 376.9 yards per game and ranking 30th in 2010.

Strong team performances on offense and defense have been sparked by some outstanding individual efforts under Kubiak. Twenty-six of the 30 Pro Bowl elections in team history have come during Kubiak’s tenure and the Texans are the only team in the NFL to have produced a rushing, receiving, passing and sack leader since Kubiak became head coach.

One of Kubiak’s primary goals upon arriving in Houston was to create a home field advantage at Reliant Stadium, and he has made significant strides in that direction. The Texans have posted a 37-21 (.638) home record since 2006, including a 2-0 record in the playoffs, and have had at least a .500 record at home in each of Kubiak’s seven seasons. The team was 10-22 (.315) at home prior to Kubiak’s arrival.

Kubiak’s squad produced a number of team and individual franchise milestones in 2012. The Texans set franchise records with a 12-4 record, 26.0 points per game and an AFC-best nine Pro Bowl selections. Second-year defensive end J.J. Watt led the NFL with 20.5 sacks and became the first player in franchise history be voted Associated Press Defensive Player of the Year. Wide receiver Andre Johnson had a resurgent season and led the AFC with 1,598 yards receiving. Left tackle Duane Brown, left guard Wade Smith and center Chris Myers were selected to the Pro Bowl from the offensive line. Brown and Watt were both AP First Team All-Pro selections.

Houston was one of two teams to rank in the top 10 in the NFL in both offense and defense (seventh in both) in the regular season. It also marked the first time in the 52-year history of professional football in the city of Houston that a franchise won home playoff games in back-to-back seasons.

there's more, but here is a good part of it
http://www.houstontexans.com/team/coaches/gary-kubiak/948dab3c-d051-473c-824e-368984c7fa15

OrangeHoof
01-17-2015, 07:07 PM
I hate to play Debbie Downer but it isn't going to work, with or without Manning. Actually, if Manning retires, that would be great for Kubes because he will have the best built-in excuse possible and he can redesign the offense to fit what he does best which is play action rollouts and bootlegs and one-cut stretch runs. His only problem is having a year or two convincing Elway that Osweiler is not the guy. That and needing to bring Wade Phillips out of retirement to run his defense.

In that little puff piece that was pasted here, did you notice he took over the Texans in 2006 but he had the 30th-ranked defense in 2010? That the defense improved dramatically the next year had everything to do with Phillips, not Kubiak.

Simple Jaded
01-17-2015, 07:15 PM
Why does the autocorrect put an apostrophe if it's superfluous?

chazoe60
01-17-2015, 07:15 PM
I hate to play Debbie Downer but it isn't going to work, with or without Manning. Actually, if Manning retires, that would be great for Kubes because he will have the best built-in excuse possible and he can redesign the offense to fit what he does best which is play action rollouts and bootlegs and one-cut stretch runs. His only problem is having a year or two convincing Elway that Osweiler is not the guy. That and needing to bring Wade Phillips out of retirement to run his defense.

In that little puff piece that was pasted here, did you notice he took over the Texans in 2006 but he had the 30th-ranked defense in 2010? That the defense improved dramatically the next year had everything to do with Phillips, not Kubiak.

:fart:

Joel
01-17-2015, 07:37 PM
No kidding: Kubiak's no better with defenses than his mentor—just like virtually ALL good HCs from an offensive background, just as nearly all good HCs with a defensive background suck at offense. The only one who might justifiably be able to say he excels at BOTH is Belicheat, but there's a reason everyone's champing at the bit to get Seattles DC, and it's not because pharmacological elite Pete Carroll's such a defensive genius.

If Kubiak's our next head coach, he and Elway will put their heads together and find someone to run the D (the consenus seems to be that's at least half of why we interviewed the Texans secondary coach Wade brought in 2011 to turn their secondary from the teams Achilles heel to one of its greatest strengths overnight.) Wade would be a great choice, because he's one of those elite DCs who can't run an offfense, but he's far from the only choice.

Joel
01-17-2015, 07:40 PM
Why does the autocorrect put an apostrophe if it's superfluous?
*shrugs* Why does it think this weeks NFCCG is the Seattle Seahawks hosting the Green Bay KIMs? Autocorrects notorious infallibility is a running gag; why would anyone cite it as an autority on anything?

Oh, right: To be consistently contrarian for the sake of "delusional bias rendering [them] throughly rigid and inflexible to accept anything that might prove [them] wrong." I've admitted error countless times, even a few times TODAY; I have no biased egocentric problem admitting error when proven. I do know a few people I've never seen admit error even when dipped and rolled in proof though....

Denver Native (Carol)
01-17-2015, 07:58 PM

You have pretty much made your point - you do not want Kubes to be the HC here. AND all of the teams that he turned down to interview for their HC opening, had no clue what they were doing.

Simple Jaded
01-17-2015, 08:08 PM
*shrugs* Why does it think this weeks NFCCG is the Seattle Seahawks hosting the Green Bay KIMs? Autocorrects notorious infallibility is a running gag; why would anyone cite it as an autority on anything?

Oh, right: To be consistently contrarian for the sake of "delusional bias rendering [them] throughly rigid and inflexible to accept anything that might prove [them] wrong." I've admitted error countless times, even a few times TODAY; I have no biased egocentric problem admitting error when proven. I do know a few people I've never seen admit error even when dipped and rolled in proof though....

I know you're not talking about me, I'm wrong all the time, I have many defects and admitting I'm wrong is not one of them. Maybe the problem is your proof, which usually consists of you passing your opinion as fact.

"Bart Starr was NOT great"

Joel
01-17-2015, 09:17 PM
I know you're not talking about me, I'm wrong all the time, I have many defects and admitting I'm wrong is not one of them. Maybe the problem is your proof, which usually consists of you passing your opinion as fact.

"Bart Starr was NOT great"

I never called my opinion of Starr fact, but it is FACT NFL coaches more often than not picked someone else for Pro Bowls and professional AP sports writers only picked him for ONE All Pro team. Another FACT is that Starrs championship teams included a full DOZEN other HoFers, including the coach whose name adorns the SB trophy. It's also FACT Lombardis memoir wasn't called Pass to Daylight. It's an opinion the biggest best known play Starr ever made was a goal line RUN, but an opinion no reasonable person would dispute. But if you want to praise Starr (or RAY LEWIS? Seriously?!) just to argue with me, fine.

If you've admitted an error somewhere, good for you; all I said was I've never seen it (or don't recall doing so, but my memory's not infallible either.)

GEM
01-18-2015, 01:21 AM
Terry Bradshaw's teams were full of uber talented HOF players, I guess he wasn't great either. Elway didn't win Super Bowls until he was surrounded by uber talented Pro Bowl worthy (HOF worthy if they were anywhere instead of Denver) players, guess he wasn't great either. Pretty weak argument.

TXBRONC
01-18-2015, 07:40 AM

Yeah other teams were interested in Kubiak but you're the expert on coaching and what will and will not work in Denver because you can see into the future?

Northman
01-18-2015, 07:49 AM
Im just curious who Hoof believes is the best candidate and who would guarantee success.

TXBRONC
01-18-2015, 08:08 AM
Im just curious who Hoof believes is the best candidate and who would guarantee success.

There isn't anyone that can guarantee that Denver will get to the next level. Kubiak is as good of a candidate as anyone else out there.

DenBronx
01-18-2015, 08:27 AM
I see Kubiak being phenomenal with a QB like Russel Wilson or Kapernick but Manning is a statue in the pocket. It's not Mannings style at all. So just not sure how this will work. I like a QB that kills you in the pocket and then can make plays on his feet every once in a while...like Luck.

TXBRONC
01-18-2015, 08:42 AM
I see Kubiak being phenomenal with a QB like Russel Wilson or Kapernick but Manning is a statue in the pocket. It's not Mannings style at all. So just not sure how this will work. I like a QB that kills you in the pocket and then can make plays on his feet every once in a while...like Luck.

Brian Griese was a statue and Shanahan and Kubiak made it work.

OB
01-18-2015, 10:23 AM
Adam Schefter just reported it looks like Kubiak will be our next HC. Announcement isn't expected until Tuesday.

chazoe60
01-18-2015, 12:15 PM

Ricky Williams, Earl Campbell,Vince Young, Colt McCoy, RD Wentworth, Mack Brown, Darrell Royal...... Take your pick

MOtorboat
01-18-2015, 12:24 PM
Ricky Williams, Earl Campbell,Vince Young, Colt McCoy, RD Wentworth, Mack Brown, Darrell Royal...... Take your pick

Mack Brown would be perfect.

OB
01-18-2015, 01:24 PM

Right now more than anything in the whole wide world I want that to be true

Joel
01-18-2015, 01:48 PM
Right now more than anything in the whole wide world I want that to be true
Texas A&M is the TRUE home of the Twelfth Man, so much so Seattle pays the Aggies a licensing fee for the phrase since a lawsuit was filed to remind a M$ exec how copyright law works. The tradition goes back to 1922, when A&M was so badly mauled against the defending National Champion they ran out of players. The coach knew preseason cut E. King Gill was at the game with the rest of the Corps of Cadets, so called him out of the stands and told him to suit up: He did, and since the VERY NEXT injury would force him to play, stood (NOT sat) on the sideline the rest of the game, even though never needed.

In memory of that, fans at Aggie games still stand from kickoff to gun, symbolizing their constant readiness to enter the game at a moments notice if needed. Kubiak never would've survived playing in front of a crowd like THAT if he were what they call a "two-percenter." So don't sweat it, certainly not because of anything a Tea Sipper says. ;)

OrangeHoof
01-18-2015, 01:56 PM
There isn't anyone that can guarantee that Denver will get to the next level. Kubiak is as good of a candidate as anyone else out there.

That's probably true. It doesn't make them the right guy for the job. Before he signed at Michigan, I might have been thrilled to get Jim Harbaugh. Stanford guy so he and Elway could share the secret handshake, innovative and adapts to his talent. But that dream's over.

Honestly, I want a head coach who is something of a hard ass, someone who will push guys past their comfort zones and hit back when they've been punched in the mouth. Kubiak's Texans did none of that.

I want some Romanowskis and Polamalus out there who are not just talented but borderline dirty players who set the tone for the rest of the squad. We have to be like an AFC North team (albeit a smart one) if we're ever going to be consistent Super Bowl winners without Manning. IOW, the Broncos need to grow a pair. That's the missing ingredient. That's what is sorely missing in what I saw from the Texans.

It's a very short list of available head coaches that are better than what we just let go. I know Bronco fans don't want to believe it but it is true. I didn't think offense has been our problem and Kubiak won't do anything to fix any other area besides offense so if/when the Broncos hire Kubiak, the real work of fixing the team will still need to be done. Whomever is picked for DC will be twice as important as who they get for HC if it's Kubes.

Joel
01-18-2015, 02:05 PM
Romanowski wansn't borderline dirty: Just plain old dirty, so pumped full of 'roids he ended a teammates career with a TRAINING CAMP punch shattering an eye socket, then sold so many 'roids in retirement it ended in Congressional hearings. He's also admitted being at the bottom of a pile with Dave Meggett and snapping his finger "like a chicken bone" because he knew no refs could see it. A guy can be tough, aggressive, mean, hit back, etc. without being a violent sociopath. I don't know where this "Kubiaks Texans were soft" thing comes from, but even it were true I wouldn't want Coach Aaron Hernandez.

TXBRONC
01-18-2015, 02:06 PM
That's probably true. It doesn't make them the right guy for the job. Before he signed at Michigan, I might have been thrilled to get Jim Harbaugh. Stanford guy so he and Elway could share the secret handshake, innovative and adapts to his talent. But that dream's over.

Honestly, I want a head coach who is something of a hard ass, someone who will push guys past their comfort zones and hit back when they've been punched in the mouth. Kubiak's Texans did none of that.

I want some Romanowskis and Polamalus out there who are not just talented but borderline dirty players who set the tone for the rest of the squad. We have to be like an AFC North team (albeit a smart one) if we're ever going to be consistent Super Bowl winners without Manning. IOW, the Broncos need to grow a pair. That's the missing ingredient. That's what is sorely missing in what I saw from the Texans.

You're entitled to your perception Hoof but I don't it think it fits with what I saw from Kubiak or the Texans when he was their head coach.

G_Money
01-18-2015, 02:30 PM
Kubiak's DC is a very important part of this mix. He'll have a lot of talent to work with, thankfully, but we can't afford some of those Richard Smith and Frank Bush type mistakes that Kubes made with first time coordinators. That is really the only reason I'm concerned about potentially having Joseph as yet ANOTHER first-timer trying to learn on the job. Still, everyone seems to think the world of that guy, so I have to hope he's not a Slowik-type mistake if he gets the job.

Otherwise, my concerns about Kubiak are few. Kubiak and Manning may not be the greatest pairing ever - or maybe Kubiak can finally get Manning back over the hump (and vice versa). I'd rather have a coach who can make it work with or without Manning, and I've said I want an offensive-minded HC with a system he can use to help the next QB after Manning.

Just show me who the DC is. I'd still like Schwartz, but there are options. My guess is it'll be Joseph, which will make me nervous as hell til I see it in action. But let's see it.

Jsteve01
01-18-2015, 08:59 PM
And hopefully the relationship means they retain Smith. We had guys like Cory Nelson, Davis, etc playing out of their minds. The development of Marshall and Trevathan wasn't just great eye for talent. Smith deserves a ton of credit

Joel
01-18-2015, 09:35 PM
I don't recall Cory Nelson (much less Todd Davis) playing out of their minds. In fact, the only times I recall hearing Todd Davis' name was after something really BAD that left me thinking, So I guess we don't like Steven Johnson as a nickel LB....

DenBronx
01-18-2015, 10:28 PM
I liked Dreesen. Will he be able to play again?

Simple Jaded
01-19-2015, 04:08 AM
I don't recall Cory Nelson (much less Todd Davis) playing out of their minds. In fact, the only times I recall hearing Todd Davis' name was after something really BAD that left me thinking, So I guess we don't like Steven Johnson as a nickel LB....

Davis and Nelson weren't huge liabilities as rookies, that's still pretty noteworthy. The only play I remebrr being really bad was Nelson letting Wilson get outside of him for a 1st down in OT.

I'd still give Smith an A for the development of Travathon and Marshall, I'd keep him just to facilitate their continued impact.