PDA

View Full Version : NFL to hold combine for veterans

Denver Native (Carol)
01-15-2015, 03:47 PM
NFL combines will take on an older look when the league adds one for veteran players to go with the massive event it holds for potential draftees.

The veterans combine will take place March 22 at the Arizona Cardinals' training facility in Phoenix. That is about one month after the regular combine for rookies in Indianapolis.

"This is the natural evolution of our combine series," NFL director of football development Matt Birk told The Associated Press on Thursday.

Birk sent a memo to the 32 teams earlier in the day about the new combine. It will be open to veteran free agents who will participate in position-specific drills, timing and testing, and other customary combine activities.

rest - http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/12172630/nfl-hold-combine-veteran-free-agents

Krugan
01-15-2015, 06:30 PM
Kind of like this idea, maybe take some of the guess work out of some of these guys, and also give some others a chance to show whats left in the tank.

Simple Jaded
01-15-2015, 06:39 PM
Great idea.

Or

Just another way to milk that Tebow Cash Cow dry.

Shazam!
01-15-2015, 06:45 PM
Excellent idea, they should've done this awhile ago.

They may try to adjust salaries based on performance and involvement.

Joel
01-15-2015, 06:50 PM
Kind of like this idea, maybe take some of the guess work out of some of these guys, and also give some others a chance to show whats left in the tank.
Agreed on both counts. A ton of FAs are released annually without anyone but their current and maybe one or two other teams having any clue whether they BELONG on the bench or waiver wire, because no one else has seen them practice nor drill since they were drafted however long ago. If a guy improves over a few years but is stuck with a coaching staff too dense to see it, he's left just hoping someone gives him a tryout to show them, despite having no reason they should. Meanwhile, teams are still shooting craps with those guys just as on Draft Day.

Pudge
01-15-2015, 06:52 PM
Excellent idea, they should've done this awhile ago.

They may try to adjust salaries based on performance and involvement.

If anything it's for guys without a team. If signed they should be thankful for league minimum.

Slick
01-15-2015, 06:56 PM
I can't see why any veteran players would want to go through that again unless they are guys from practice squads or guys who have only played special teams.

BroncoWave
01-15-2015, 07:12 PM
I can't see why any veteran players would want to go through that again unless they are guys from practice squads or guys who have only played special teams.

You say "go through that again" like it's some long, grueling process. It's just a one-day event where they do a few drills. I think someone out of a job looking for a new team would be happy to participate.

Tebowtime2011
01-15-2015, 09:08 PM
Sounds like it's Tebow time!!!!

Simple Jaded
01-15-2015, 09:19 PM
Poor Judge Of QB People Rejoice!

FanInAZ
01-15-2015, 09:44 PM
If anything it's for guys without a team. If signed they should be thankful for league minimum.

I think if you combine your guys' list of possible participants, we'd have pretty close to a complete list.

There's enough film on potential "cap casualties," like Larry Fitzgerald may become, to where teams already have enough of an idea of how much they have left in the tank to decide if they want to fight other teams for such players. In Fitz's case, I guarantee you that at least a half a dozen teams would make overture towards him who will be determined to sign him before someone else does.

So who would want to show up to this vet combine? Players in which there's little or no film on. This would not only include the aforementioned PS & ST players, but older vets who offer experienced depth at their respective positions.

Lancane
01-15-2015, 10:32 PM
I think this would have been great idea had it been a little more open, meaning that it included the top CFL, Arena and Semi-Pro players giving them a possible shot at the NFL.

sneakers
01-15-2015, 10:49 PM
I'd like to see Mike Vick's 40 time now

ShaneFalco
01-16-2015, 01:14 AM
i bet its around 4.4 maybe 4.3 still.