PDA

View Full Version : iPhone Battery Life

Buff
01-15-2015, 01:22 PM
It seems like something happened with my iPhone battery recently where I basically can't even make it halfway through the day if I'm using it heavily... It probably has 4x to 5x less life than previously.

I know it's a long standing criticism of Apple/iPhones - but this seems worse than the norm. Anybody have any suggestions or tips that you've used? Do I just need a new battery?

I've tried to run it all the way down and then charge it to 100%, but that doesn't seem to do anything. Also, Joe, Pudge, and the usual suspects can take your anti-apple comments and shove them. Not helpful.

weazel
01-15-2015, 01:24 PM
mine has always been dead by 5 or 6 each day... seems normal

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-15-2015, 01:27 PM
If you need a new battery get it from an Apple Store. Don't buy anything from E-Bay. My wife has bought batteries on line that ended up being just as bad as what she had.

OB
01-15-2015, 01:39 PM
Mine did that after an update - I could sit there and watch the battery drain even though I wasnt doing anything on my phone

I did a little googling and the biggest culprit is your email

Go to Settings>Mail, contacts, calendars>And turn "Fetch data" off

That fixed my issue - I also make sure that there arent a lot of apps running in the background

OB
01-15-2015, 01:40 PM
hahahaha - I just noticed your title :lol:

Buff
01-15-2015, 01:42 PM
mine has always been dead by 5 or 6 each day... seems normal

I could handle dead by 5 or 6 i guess, can't handle dead by noon after having a full charge at 7am. I used to be able to make it more than 24 hours.

Buff
01-15-2015, 01:44 PM
Mine did that after an update - I could sit there and watch the battery drain even though I wasnt doing anything on my phone

That fixed my issue - I also make sure that there arent a lot of apps running in the background

It seems like I shouldn't have to turn off my email functionality... But I'm sure you're right that would help.

OB
01-15-2015, 01:48 PM
Well it was my understanding the phone was constantly connecting with the email accounts as to stay up to date - it might have been a bigger issue for me since I have like 4 email accounts on my phone and since I rarely check my email on my phone (use my ipad) it wasnt a big deal.

Also, if you have more than one email account I believe you can set each accounts "fetch data" setting individually - like I could have it fetch my work email and not any of my others

I hope this helps

Timmy!
01-15-2015, 01:48 PM
Usual suspects? Not even a name drop eh? Well then....

http://www.good-covers.com/covers-images/thumbs/Apple-Sucks.jpg

underrated29
01-15-2015, 01:59 PM
mine sucks ass too.

I have an app called "battery doctor". Im not sure it even heps with the battery but it does clear the phones memory and cache. Which im sure does probably help on the most miniscule level. But closing the apps and cleaning out memory is nice. I seem to think (or maybe it works) that my phone operates faster (internet-email)once I have cleared those things out.

For now I keep my phone on about 30% brightness or I wont make it through the day before its dead

Slick
01-15-2015, 02:03 PM
I still have my email fetch every 15 minutes. My battery lasts all day. 100% at 7:30am and when I get home at 5:30 I'm still usually at least at 50%.

Make sure you close apps when you're not using them. I don't have many apps, maybe like 10.

I have an 8gig iPhone 5c.

tubby
01-15-2015, 02:17 PM
Get the 6. #BOSS

Slick
01-15-2015, 02:28 PM
Get the 6. #BOSS

They cost like $800US here Tubby. I'll have to wait until I renew my contract to get it cheaper.

tubby
01-15-2015, 02:39 PM
They cost like $800US here Tubby. I'll have to wait until I renew my contract to get it cheaper.

You are going to love it.

Slick
01-15-2015, 02:41 PM
You are going to love it.

I like my iPhone way more than my Samsung tablet. The iPhone does everything. You go to NFL.com with the Samsung and it won't even play videos/highlights. Lame.

Davii
01-15-2015, 02:43 PM
Unfortunately Buff this is an issue with all iPhones. The batteries are not easily replaceable and they wear out. Rechargeable batteries are a consumable item yet you can't just pop in a new one.

If you are in love with your iPhone have the Apple store put in a new battery. If you just love iPhones in general, understand that this is Apple's way of making you upgrade and go buy a 6.

If you aren't tied to Apple go buy a Samsung S5 or S6 in April that you can replace the battery whenever you want or even have two batteries so that you never have to worry about it.

NightTrainLayne
01-15-2015, 02:44 PM
Unplug your space-heater, and put a charger at your desk.

Timmy!
01-15-2015, 03:13 PM
Worst case you could buy a little portable charger and keep it at your desk. I picked up a 2 pack of them $10. Should give you a couple more hours. Of course you probably have to buy an apple one and pay $50 since its shiny..........but maybe?

Buff
01-15-2015, 04:18 PM
I have a work iphone too, so I have a charger at home and at my desk... But I'd prefer to have a battery that's not a total POS.

BroncoJoe
01-15-2015, 04:19 PM
http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/popcrush.com/files/2014/10/android.jpg?w=600&h=0&zc=1&s=0&a=t&q=89

Buff
01-15-2015, 04:19 PM
Unfortunately Buff this is an issue with all iPhones. The batteries are not easily replaceable and they wear out. Rechargeable batteries are a consumable item yet you can't just pop in a new one.

If you are in love with your iPhone have the Apple store put in a new battery. If you just love iPhones in general, understand that this is Apple's way of making you upgrade and go buy a 6.

If you aren't tied to Apple go buy a Samsung S5 or S6 in April that you can replace the battery whenever you want or even have two batteries so that you never have to worry about it.

It seems like mine is an extreme case. I know the batteries suck in general, but it seems like losing its charge in a matter of a couple of hours is excessively bad. Maybe not?

Timmy!
01-15-2015, 04:21 PM
I'd prefer to have a battery that's not a total POS.

Well, I know a solution for that.

tubby
01-15-2015, 04:24 PM
I love the inferiority complex of android users.

BroncoJoe
01-15-2015, 04:25 PM
i love the inferiority complex of android users.

lol.

Buff
01-15-2015, 04:27 PM
Well, I know a solution for that.

You Android trolls are the worst!

Timmy!
01-15-2015, 04:29 PM
You Android trolls are the worst!

We are just trying to help Buff. Let us, help you, help yourself.

Davii
01-15-2015, 04:30 PM
It seems like mine is an extreme case. I know the batteries suck in general, but it seems like losing its charge in a matter of a couple of hours is excessively bad. Maybe not?

Not really to be honest. Once these batteries fail they lose charge very quickly. To be clear, this is ANY lithium ion battery, this is NOT phone specific.

It's easier to fix on other phones though.

Jsteve01
01-15-2015, 04:53 PM
I love the inferiority complex of android users.. Shit Timmy you're making us all look bad

Jsteve01
01-15-2015, 04:58 PM

Not really to be honest. Once these batteries fail they lose charge very quickly. To be clear, this is ANY lithium ion battery, this is NOT phone specific.

It's easier to fix on other phones though. actually Davii HTC and lg and Sony followed suit with the internal battery which just sucks. I have one on my Nexus as well Samsung and Motorola are the only big manufacturers that still have removable batteries and memory in their flagship models. And Buff there are tons of videos online about how to change the battery yourself. Moderate handiness and a few small drivers and you can have the satisfaction of not paying the douchers at the apple store rob you blind to do it for you.

OB
01-15-2015, 05:02 PM
Have you at least tried my suggestion just to see if that may be the issue - it may not be the solution you want but it may help narrow down why your battery is draining so quickly

underrated29
01-15-2015, 05:09 PM
I miss my droid. Liked it infinitely better than my Iphone 5.

Timmy!
01-15-2015, 05:14 PM
. Shit Timmy you're making us all look bad

No I'm not, apple users lash out when threatened. It will be OK. :D

Jsteve01
01-15-2015, 05:15 PM
I miss my droid. Liked it infinitely better than my Iphone 5. its all user preference. I love android, but I root all my phones and tinker with system apps. I understand why people like iOS. It's a solid platform

shank
01-15-2015, 05:15 PM
I miss my droid. Liked it infinitely better than my Iphone 5.

with ya. I'm now an iphoner because of my work, but definitely miss my droid.

Buff
01-15-2015, 05:20 PM
Next person to turn this into an android vs iphone discussion gets permabanned. Tned said so.

shank
01-15-2015, 05:22 PM
I'm on my iphone constantly for my job - I have to make time in my day to sit in the office or in my truck to make sure it's plugged in or I won't make it long passed noon either. 4S - have a 5C waiting for me at the office, but doubt it'll be much different when I make the switch.

Timmy!
01-15-2015, 05:24 PM
Next person to turn this into an android vs iphone discussion gets permabanned. Tned said so.

http://i.lvme.me/r0bhuw1.jpg

Because your battery keeps dying. Ha!

underrated29
01-15-2015, 05:24 PM
with ya. I'm now an iphoner because of my work, but definitely miss my droid.

Exactly my shoes too. The admin for my website is only supported by apple, something to do with hacking or viruses or whatever. So I had to get a new phone.

Buff, our batteries still suck ass...No one has helped

Pudge
01-15-2015, 05:29 PM

I've been respecting your wishes Buff

Buff
01-15-2015, 05:33 PM
Have you at least tried my suggestion just to see if that may be the issue - it may not be the solution you want but it may help narrow down why your battery is draining so quickly

I will look into it when I'm at home later... I was hoping not to mess too much with functionality, but it may come to that.

Slick
01-15-2015, 06:26 PM
JFC, how much time do you people spend on your phones?

I just got home and I'm still at 70%.

underrated29
01-15-2015, 06:58 PM

i GET LOts of emails each day.

Buff
01-15-2015, 07:28 PM

That's how mine has been for like a year, then it just fell off a cliff without any change in my usage habits... That's why I'm befuddled.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-15-2015, 08:01 PM
I didn't want to freak you out or anything by saying something outlandish, but the high probability here is that the NSA has your phone tapped. Statistics show that 90% of the time when a battery life changes drastically it's due to wire tapping. Of course with your spending habits it might actually be the ATF.

Davii
01-15-2015, 08:12 PM
That's how mine has been for like a year, then it just fell off a cliff without any change in my usage habits... That's why I'm befuddled.

The batteries don't go slowly man, once they're done, they're done. If you don't get a new battery or phone you'll see it get worse soon. I've seen them where they'll go from 100% to dead in 20 mins

Slick
01-15-2015, 08:15 PM

If you haven't changed your usage habits then it sounds like Davii is right. Your battery has crapped out.

chazoe60
01-15-2015, 08:16 PM
I just upgraded to the iPhone 6+ it's battery life is amazing. I absolutely love this phone.

tomjonesrocks
01-15-2015, 11:11 PM
I just upgraded to the iPhone 6+ it's battery life is amazing. I absolutely love this phone.

I have this phone and people still question how I like it randomly in restaurants.

It's a piece of engineering except it doesn't work with this forum worth a shit. What are you using?

I uninstalled forum runner and reinstalled it out of frustration. Just putting up again with the multiple crashes a visit.

Pudge
01-15-2015, 11:47 PM
I have this phone and people still question how I like it randomly in restaurants.

It's a piece of engineering except it doesn't work with this forum worth a shit. What are you using?

I uninstalled forum runner and reinstalled it out of frustration. Just putting up again with the multiple crashes a visit.

It crashed on me the other day with an android, I feared I was facing the same issues as you but it's been perfect since

chazoe60
01-15-2015, 11:49 PM

I just view the MB through Safari. I have unlimited data plan ski just use the inter webs.

Pudge
01-16-2015, 12:08 AM
I just view the MB through Safari. I have unlimited data plan ski just use the inter webs.

I've never used the websitebother than to occasionally to check my user cp. That's about once every three months.

ShaneFalco
01-16-2015, 12:28 AM
i got a galaxy note for my bday. i have to recharge my phone every 4 days( with an animated wallpaper). And i have an extra battery if i want to go 8 without charging. And when i do charge it, it takes like 15min to get to 100%.

Apple sucks. So glad i made the switch, its not even close to how much better of a phone it is. #NEVERGOINGBACK

OB
01-16-2015, 12:59 AM
i GET LOts of emails each day.

That's what I'm talking about. Your phone is reaching out there trying to update your emails every other minute.

Plus if you've recently installed the latest update it somehow changes your phone and how it operates in a way that drains your battery for whatever reason.

The only thing I did was update to the latest software and my battery started dying. I did the email thing and it worked. It's probably a 50/50 shot but it doesn't hurt to try.

MasterShake
01-16-2015, 08:55 AM
I still have my email fetch every 15 minutes. My battery lasts all day. 100% at 7:30am and when I get home at 5:30 I'm still usually at least at 50%.

Make sure you close apps when you're not using them. I don't have many apps, maybe like 10.

I have an 8gig iPhone 5c.

Yeah its crazy how much the phone looking for data or wifi connections will drain it. I still have an iPhone 5 and as long as I keep my apps closed after I use them and my battery usually lasts all day at work. I access Outlook through the web app in Safari sometimes and if I don't close that window after I look at the email it will just keep searching and updating and drain the hell out of the battery. This is true of every phone, not just apple.

The worst culprit for me is always sporting events or things like concerts. I usually just turn on airplane mode because the signals always suck anyway and the battery drains trying to find one.

BroncoNut
01-16-2015, 11:09 AM
This sounds pretty normal Buff, I wouldn't worry about it

weazel
01-16-2015, 12:11 PM

you turn off fetch, you have to manually get your email... not good if your email is important for work

weazel
01-16-2015, 12:12 PM
turn off bluetooth if you arent using it.... it will constantly search as long as it is turned on.

OB
01-16-2015, 12:17 PM
Is it any coincidence that my latest pop up ad at the top of the page is for a Samsung Galaxy :lol:

OB
01-16-2015, 12:18 PM
you turn off fetch, you have to manually get your email... not good if your email is important for work

Ya - I dont use my phone for email i use my ipad - and I think you can customize each email account so you can turn off your personal emails and just leave your work one on

PatriotsGuy
02-06-2015, 01:46 PM
i got a galaxy note for my bday. i have to recharge my phone every 4 days( with an animated wallpaper). And i have an extra battery if i want to go 8 without charging. And when i do charge it, it takes like 15min to get to 100%.

Apple sucks. So glad i made the switch, its not even close to how much better of a phone it is. #NEVERGOINGBACK

Thank you for this valuable contribution to the thread

Buff
02-06-2015, 02:28 PM
turn off bluetooth if you arent using it.... it will constantly search as long as it is turned on.

By the way - this was totally the problem. ^^

I am an idiot - but was hoping it was something really simple like this that I wasn't aware of.

Shazam!
02-06-2015, 02:40 PM
I have an android app that shuts down Wi-Fi, data and BT when the phone is idle at rest. Comes on in intervals of 15 min to check emails and updates. When I swipe it on it all comes on. Massive increase in battery life.

OB
02-06-2015, 02:43 PM

I am an idiot - but was hoping it was something really simple like this that I wasn't aware of.

Dude you have been awful hard on yourself lately - be nicer to you :D

Davii
02-06-2015, 08:31 PM

Dumb OS if that's what the problem was. Mine shuts itself off when not being used.