PDA

View Full Version : Broncos CEO: 'I don't think we should drop our standards, ever'

Denver Native (Carol)
01-14-2015, 04:30 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. – The most stunning sound at Sports Authority Field at Mile High on Sunday was the booing.

It wasn't just smattering of disgruntled fans, but boos from before halftime that grew louder by the end of the Denver Broncos' 24-13 divisional playoff loss to the Indianapolis Colts – a loss that precipitated another coaching change.

The booing was the type of sound the front office couldn't ignore, and the Broncos are starting their third head coaching search since 2009.

Team president and CEO Joe Ellis spoke with USA TODAY Sports about the decision to part with coach John Fox, the state of the Broncos franchise and the future of quarterback Peyton Manning on Tuesday.

rest - http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2015/01/13/joel-ellis-denver-broncos-ceo-standards/21712779/

I am glad that Ellis is speaking up, because there are people now pointing the finger at only John. I thought John stated yesterday that either Ellis was in the meeting with Fox, or John spoke to Ellis before the meeting. I am sure that Ellis had input. Also, Mike Klis reported that Mr. B was at the game with his wife Sunday, and after the game, they immediately left - they did NOT go into the locker room. I am sure the booing did not go over well with Mr. B.

Joel
01-14-2015, 05:04 PM
Apparently most fans never bought that "how can you complain about four straight division titles?" party line a few of them have offered. We're not the Lions; "good enough" is NOT good enough.

Northman
01-14-2015, 05:11 PM
We shouldnt settle, especially when we make a play with one of the best in the game.

Cugel
01-14-2015, 05:19 PM
USA TODAY Sports' Tom Pelissero breaks down the situation in Denver.

Q: But when you look around the NFL, the teams that win consistently are the ones with a quarterback. If Manning doesn't return, how confident are you that this team will have a viable quarterback without him?

A: It is. It is. The quarterback is more than half the battle. That's a challenge I don't want to think about until we know what the future is. As I said, I think we hope Peyton returns.

Translation: "We're still goin' Plan A!"

Unlike a lot of fans, I don't think they have a choice. If Peyton is willing to come back you give it one more shot and hope for the best.

The model would be Tony Romo. Romo had more choke performances than just about anybody, and yet this season he's been wildly successful. What was the difference? Building around DeMarco Murray instead of Romo.

Perhaps something like that could work with Peyton. He has a big ego, but he wants to win another SB pretty badly. I'm sure Elway could tell him "Hey, it worked for me."

They've got C.J. Anderson. So, why was it that they didn't get the running game really going in the playoff loss, especially early in the game when they needed to stick with it? Was it just the offensive line? Was it a bad game plan like some sports talk guys have said. (Big Al comes to mind).

That kind of stuff could easily be fixed. What can't be fixed is if Peyton is too fragile to get through another season, or if his arm is really withered like autumn leaves and he can't throw anymore. And I don't know that answer to that.

DenBronx
01-14-2015, 05:23 PM
We shouldnt settle, especially when we make a play with one of the best in the game.

Even if we didn't have Manning, we still shouldn't settle. It's been way too long and the last 2 games of each season we didn't play like champions. Unacceptable!

SoCalImport
01-14-2015, 05:47 PM
The booing was a bit premature and disappointing though. It's such an indiscriminate negative thing to do to a team when only some may have actually deserved it. Just my opinion, obviously.

BroncoWave
01-14-2015, 06:01 PM
The booing was a bit premature and disappointing though. It's such an indiscriminate negative thing to do to a team when only some may have actually deserved it. Just my opinion, obviously.

I just can't bring myself to care if the feelings of millionaire athletes got hurt, even if they aren't the one whose deserve the booing.

Krugan
01-14-2015, 06:32 PM
I just can't bring myself to care if the feelings of millionaire athletes got hurt, even if they aren't the one whose deserve the booing.

Agreed.

Perform better and you dont get boo'ed.

At least try to compete, it was less than a full quarter in and you could see the team wasnt all in, shameful.

Buff
01-14-2015, 06:47 PM

That's what I was thinking while I was booing.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-14-2015, 07:27 PM
That's what I was thinking while I was booing.

:laugh:

Did you really?

Northman
01-14-2015, 07:29 PM

They played like ass, they deserve to get booed.

Slick
01-14-2015, 07:33 PM
Did you really boo, Buff?

Buff
01-14-2015, 07:54 PM
Did you really boo, Buff?

I did. Tubby didn't appreciate it.

BroncoWave
01-14-2015, 08:08 PM
I support your booing, Buff.

NightTrainLayne
01-14-2015, 11:22 PM
I've never understood what fans thought they were accomplishing by booing. That is the opposite of motivation. If the hope is for the team to play better, then booing is not the prescription. I can somewhat understand at the very end of a terrible loss, but in the second quarter? When the team is within one score? Smh.

aberdien
01-15-2015, 12:38 AM
On one hand I agree with NTL. Booing doesn't really accomplish a whole lot. But on the other hand, this team has underperformed 3 of the last 3 seasons (last season depending on if getting to the SB was good enough) so I think the booing was frustration that has built up from facing yet another potential failure. It is perfectly understandable to be booing based on that IMO. There was zero reason for the team should have looked THAT poor. The booing was a product of a growing frustration based on the past few seasons. I wasn't there, but I would think the booing was less personal and more "how the hell do you guys suck so bad in important games 3 seasons in a row, all when you're favorites to win, and twice at home?" The team warranted high expectations every year, but each of the last 3 years have ended on shitty notes. The team deserved it to be honest.

If you don't like people to boo you when you suck, don't play sports. At least the fans weren't booing Santa Claus like those of another team.

Lancane
01-15-2015, 01:49 AM
I'm just glad the 49ers made the move they did, not because I want Gase as the Head Coach or anything of the like, but because it's making their front office look sooo bad that people will now lay off Elway and our own front office from Glazier's 'Fox Rah-Rah' B.S.

Buff
01-15-2015, 11:26 AM
I've never understood what fans thought they were accomplishing by booing. That is the opposite of motivation. If the hope is for the team to play better, then booing is not the prescription. I can somewhat understand at the very end of a terrible loss, but in the second quarter? When the team is within one score? Smh.

For me it's usually been an effort or strategy based thing. I'm not going to boo a guy for dropping a pass or for underthrowing a ball - but I will boo if I feel like the coaches are being too conservative, or if we're just getting outworked by the other team. It's my way of saying - "I do not support this bullshit."

On Sunday I think it was more of an emotional response than usual though... It was just such a flat performance all the way around and so frustrating to witness live. Not saying there was a ton of logic behind it - I was just pissed and joined the angry mob.

NightTrainLayne
01-15-2015, 11:27 AM
On one hand I agree with NTL. Booing doesn't really accomplish a whole lot. But on the other hand, this team has underperformed 3 of the last 3 seasons (last season depending on if getting to the SB was good enough) so I think the booing was frustration that has built up from facing yet another potential failure. It is perfectly understandable to be booing based on that IMO. There was zero reason for the team should have looked THAT poor. The booing was a product of a growing frustration based on the past few seasons. I wasn't there, but I would think the booing was less personal and more "how the hell do you guys suck so bad in important games 3 seasons in a row, all when you're favorites to win, and twice at home?" The team warranted high expectations every year, but each of the last 3 years have ended on shitty notes. The team deserved it to be honest.

If you don't like people to boo you when you suck, don't play sports. At least the fans weren't booing Santa Claus like those of another team.

I was at our home opener in 2009 against the Cleveland Browns. Our first home game of the McDaniels era. A game which we won fairly handily, was not really important since it was the beginning of the season, and expectations were not high because we already had a preview of Orton.

I heard lots of boos. Lots of boos, in the first half.

It made me angry. I think somehow a lot Bronco fans have become spoiled brats, and boo just about every time something doesn't go their way, and it upsets me. We never heard boos back in the day when the team really sucked. Denver fans supported their team even when there was no chance of playoffs or Super Bowls. I'm not saying fans don't have a right to boo, but booing every time something doesn't go your way when we've had the success we've had the past 3-4 years is a big sign of being spoiled imo.

BroncoJoe
01-15-2015, 11:39 AM
For me it's usually been an effort or strategy based thing. I'm not going to boo a guy for dropping a pass or for underthrowing a ball - but I will boo if I feel like the coaches are being too conservative, or if we're just getting outworked by the other team. It's my way of saying - "I do not support this bullshit."

On Sunday I think it was more of an emotional response than usual though... It was just such a flat performance all the way around and so frustrating to witness live. Not saying there was a ton of logic behind it - I was just pissed and joined the angry mob.

Too many vodka crans.

Buff
01-15-2015, 11:41 AM
Too many vodka crans.

You don't get to criticize, Mr. "I'm watching from the comfort of my BIL's house instead of attending."

Denver Native (Carol)
01-15-2015, 12:41 PM
from article:

Denver has a fan base so manic and so far-reaching, the Broncos recently were anointed as the new "America's Team."

To potential head coaching candidates, the Broncos have much to offer.

Yet, for any outsider looking in, there are two issues general manager John Elway and chief executive officer Joe Ellis must address as they lead the Broncos' head coaching search committee: ownership and quarterback.

Elway and Ellis hired John Fox to head the coaching staff, and together they won four AFC West titles and reached no less than the final eight of the NFL playoffs all four years while posting a combined 46-18 regular-season record.

"I think we have a real solid foundation on the football side, and it starts with John Elway," Ellis said, "because he understands completely what this team means to this city and this region. And he understands what Pat Bowlen wants from his football team. I know Pat can't be here, and that's unfair. But what is right is we carry out what he has instructed us to do for so many years. We're doing that."

full article - http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27323184/ownership-and-peyton-manning-may-affect-selection-process

BroncoJoe
01-15-2015, 01:11 PM
You don't get to criticize, Mr. "I'm watching from the comfort of my BIL's house instead of attending."

Turned out to be a pretty wise decision!

Besides - it was my brother, not a BIL. :D