PDA

View Full Version : Could Manning take a paycut.

CrazyHorse
01-13-2015, 03:36 AM
Instead of his salary get part ownership of the team?

Shazam!
01-13-2015, 06:13 AM
Tch

Northman
01-13-2015, 06:24 AM
He could do anything with his salary if he wanted too. Just dont know if thats even in the cards for him.

Krugan
01-13-2015, 09:52 AM
Not saying he couldnt, but why would he?

His ties arent so deep with denver. His spouse has ownership in a basketball team, and he is a southern boy, so not sure what would be the desire to do that here.

Also I dont see him as a guy who will take a pay cut, period, but im usually not right on these things, so we shall see.

tomjonesrocks
01-13-2015, 10:06 AM
Kind of ridiculous right now. Sounds like he's very much on the fence of even coming back to Denver.

Bronco9798
01-13-2015, 10:34 AM
I don't think he's even thinking about a pay cut. If he gets released, he'll be getting his pay cut.

BroncoJoe
01-13-2015, 10:35 AM
I don't think he's even thinking about a pay cut. If he gets released, he'll be getting his pay cut.

Can we release him? I don't know how Manning's contract works. I remember reading something about it being year-to-year, but don't recall. Not sure we'd want to take that big of a cap hit... I'm ready to move on, so I do hope he retires. I'll welcome him back, but I really think we've reached our plateau with him at the helm.

Bronco9798
01-13-2015, 10:37 AM
Can we release him? I don't know how Manning's contract works. I remember reading something about it being year-to-year, but don't recall. Not sure we'd want to take that big of a cap hit... I'm ready to move on, so I do hope he retires. I'll welcome him back, but I really think we've reached our plateau with him at the helm.

I'm leaning that way too. I wasn't at first, but I'm starting to lean.

TXBRONC
01-13-2015, 10:38 AM
If he comes back then a pay cut should at the very least be considered.

PatriotsGuy
01-13-2015, 10:44 AM

http://www.spotrac.com/blog/the-cost-to-keep-or-lose-peyton-manning-going-forward/

BroncoJoe
01-13-2015, 10:48 AM
http://www.spotrac.com/blog/the-cost-to-keep-or-lose-peyton-manning-going-forward/

Thanks. So, we'll know by March 10th @ 2:00 PM MT at the latest.

I'm kind of thinking he just might retire. I read somewhere he evaluates his neck and heart (desire) in March.

Stratos
01-13-2015, 11:12 AM
Welcome to the Colts world. They told you guys. He will not ever take a pay cut. He will gut your team financially. You release him, you will owe him. He is going to buy the Titans when he retire. Can't own part of two clubs. Will go down as one of the greats. The wr have to make plays for him to get going. Always been that way. Hopefully OZ has learned something. But I doubt he has the "it" factor. Look at the draft over the last 20 years at qb. Most fail, regardless of draft position. Need to get lucky.

Buff
01-13-2015, 11:25 AM
I'm predicting that Manning will return. He didn't leak the quad tear info so that he can take a pay cut. Nor will he leave $40 mil on the table.

I honestly don't know what I'd do if I were Elway. I think he needs to take a pay cut, but the injury complicates things. You know he will point to the first half of the season and say "tell me again why I should take a pay cut?"

Slick
01-13-2015, 11:33 AM
I'm predicting that Manning will return. He didn't leak the quad tear info so that he can take a pay cut. Nor will he leave $40 mil on the table.

I honestly don't know what I'd do if I were Elway. I think he needs to take a pay cut, but the injury complicates things. You know he will point to the first half of the season and say "tell me again why I should take a pay cut?"

I hope you're wrong.

He's supposedly the leader of the team. When things aren't going his way and he sits on the sidelines with his head down, pouting on the bench, the whole team feeds off that. I'd rather struggle through the growing pains of a new player at the position than watch that movie again.

Mike
01-13-2015, 11:37 AM

I am ok with him coming back with the provision that he take a backseat to the coach (assuming we bring in a real HC) and we won't be passing for records anymore. Having a balanced team with the pressure taken off of Manning will help because Manning sucks in the clutch and it might keep him healthy throughout the season. But we need a more dynamic OC who understands how to call a game around Mannings limitations/rhythm/flow/adjustments, a HC who isn't afraid to listen to Manning but tell him what is going to happen, and a much better o-line.

I don't think Denver will ask him to take a paycut. And am ok with that, I still think Manning (even old and broke down) is the best shot at keeping the Broncos competitive until they find a replacement QB. Not playing Oz while Manning was hurt tells me all I need to know about what they think about him.

NightTrainLayne
01-13-2015, 11:57 AM
It all depends on who we bring in as Head Coach. Peyton said so himself.

That being said, if Peyton is willing to come back, I think a couple things HAVE to happen:

1. Elway HAS to restructure his contract somewhat. The whole reason for him coming back will be for a Super Bowl run. We need money in a few other spots. We're not in terrible shape, but something's gotta give.

2. We will have to run a balanced offense, and keep Manning on a pitch count. Especially through training camp and the pre-season. Keep as much wear off of his body as possible. If we get a large lead, Oz needs to come in. Maybe even run Oz in in a few series a game during the early part of the season. Peyton will hate that, but we need September/October Peyton in January, not in September. The only way to do that is to keep him limited.

I've watched Manning now a few times in person, and paid a lot of attention on game-days. He throws the ball and amazing amount warming up pre-game, and on the sidelines all during the game. He's got to shut that down. I can only imagine how many reps he is taking during the summer and pre-season. We need those reps in January. Let a new offense with more running and Oz to some degree take some of that pressure, and some of those reps off of Manning. If he's healthy in January. . .warm up all you want. But tearing it up for the first half of the regular season is not helping us come playoff time.

Timmy!
01-13-2015, 03:11 PM
It all depends on who we bring in as Head Coach. Peyton said so himself.

That being said, if Peyton is willing to come back, I think a couple things HAVE to happen:

1. Elway HAS to restructure his contract somewhat. The whole reason for him coming back will be for a Super Bowl run. We need money in a few other spots. We're not in terrible shape, but something's gotta give.

2. We will have to run a balanced offense, and keep Manning on a pitch count. Especially through training camp and the pre-season. Keep as much wear off of his body as possible. If we get a large lead, Oz needs to come in. Maybe even run Oz in in a few series a game during the early part of the season. Peyton will hate that, but we need September/October Peyton in January, not in September. The only way to do that is to keep him limited.

I've watched Manning now a few times in person, and paid a lot of attention on game-days. He throws the ball and amazing amount warming up pre-game, and on the sidelines all during the game. He's got to shut that down. I can only imagine how many reps he is taking during the summer and pre-season. We need those reps in January. Let a new offense with more running and Oz to some degree take some of that pressure, and some of those reps off of Manning. If he's healthy in January. . .warm up all you want. But tearing it up for the first half of the regular season is not helping us come playoff time.

Honestly, I think this is (to a point, Manning isnt going to completely change the way he preps) exactly what is going to happen.

Joel
01-13-2015, 08:20 PM
May depend on whether Elway needs/wants to lobby against retirement; we can't beg the guy to stick around, then demand he do it for it half pay. If Manning's eager for one last try and it's phrased in terms of creating cap space so we can retain the weapons he relies on, get the interior linemen and RT he keeps getting pounded without, and secure the remaining talent a championship requires (not that there's much needed if we fix the line and re-sign everybody who deserves it; maybe a MLB and FS, but that's about it) that might work.

But just "if/when your thigh knits, wanna spend another fall and winter running for your life through Rocky Mountain snow so you can finish one-and-done AGAIN, and do it at half pay?" No way.

Simple Jaded
01-14-2015, 12:38 AM
On what grounds would the Broncos have to ask Manning to take a paycut? Besides, the Broncos have plenty of cap space.

DenBronx
01-14-2015, 12:39 AM
On what grounds would the Broncos have to ask Manning to take a paycut? Besides, the Broncos have plenty of cap space.

Define plenty.

Simple Jaded
01-14-2015, 12:40 AM
Define plenty.

$20 MM, give or take, not sure after the Harris contract.

CrazyHorse
01-14-2015, 03:48 AM
I'm just wondering if this would be circumventing the salary cap. Let's just say that he got a salary of oh $5 million, but then he got 15 million worth percentage stake in ownership of the Broncos. Still $20 Milllion worth of reimbursement. It's a weird scenario but would allow the keeping of key free agents.

Simple Jaded
01-14-2015, 03:56 AM
I'm just wondering if this would be circumventing the salary cap. Let's just say that he got a salary of oh $5 million, but then he got 15 million worth percentage stake in ownership of the Broncos. Still $20 Milllion worth of reimbursement. It's a weird scenario but would allow the keeping of key free agents.

I think the Broncos wanted to do that with Elway back in the day but couldnt because of Edgar Keiser.

CrazyHorse
01-14-2015, 04:33 AM
I think the Broncos wanted to do that with Elway back in the day but couldnt because of Edgar Keiser.

Really? So it is possible. Manning owns some Papa John's franchises in the Denver metro. I could see him sticking around here.