PDA

View Full Version : What Did Vic Lombardi Mean By This Tweet?

spikerman
01-12-2015, 06:14 PM
I believe this was a reference to Manning's quad.

Got a sense from that locker room that players weren't overly shocked by the results. Now we know why. They knew. Explains a lot I guess.

Does he mean the players expected a loss? if so, I guess that could explain their demeanor throughout the game.

weazel
01-12-2015, 06:16 PM

Does he mean the players expected a loss? if so, I guess that could explain their demeanor throughout the game.

meh... they must have known he was injured before the Superbowl too! That demeanor is nothing new

aberdien
01-12-2015, 06:21 PM
I think he's talking about he results of the injury report on his quad.

Buff
01-12-2015, 06:25 PM

On the radio this morning he was saying that the locker room was lacking the same anger and disappointment that everyone felt after the Baltimore loss. So it would make sense if a lot of them didn't have faith in an injured Manning. There wasn't that same shock and disappointment.

DenBronx
01-12-2015, 06:29 PM
Comes down to this.

The Broncos didnt believe they could win IN NE and wanted nothing to do with Seattle in a primetime SB.

And imo that's a big problem. You don't field a team with this much talent and not believe you can beat those 2 teams. I think they just gave up and that's a coaching issue.

TimHippo
01-12-2015, 06:30 PM
On the radio this morning he was saying that the locker room was lacking the same anger and disappointment that everyone felt after the Baltimore loss. So it would make sense if a lot of them didn't have faith in an injured Manning. There wasn't that same shock and disappointment.

Well that's because they got destroyed by the Colts. They should have beat the Ravens so the anger is to be expected.

Krugan
01-12-2015, 07:00 PM
I think there is more to it.

Not just the injury, there was some rift happening as a whole.

The whole unit looked off and it had as bad a feel as the super bowl.

chazoe60
01-12-2015, 07:04 PM

I did notice Emmanuel Sanders visibly upset on multiple occasions.

Northman
01-12-2015, 07:10 PM

Possible. Im not sure Manning was really that thrilled about running the ball more as he likes breaking records.

GEM
01-12-2015, 07:13 PM
So if Glazier stated that Fox was on the hot seat before the game was even played...how did the players not know and play their hardest to save their coach's job? I mean that shows some serious indifference to things around you. Shows a lack of heart from the team if they had an inkling that their coach's job was on the line and that was the performance they gave.

Davii
01-12-2015, 07:14 PM
You guys sure as hell read whatever you want out of that. If you're so curious ask him, Vic responds on twitter all the time

GEM
01-12-2015, 07:15 PM
You guys sure as hell read whatever you want out of that. Of you're so curious ask him, Vic responds on twitter all the time

Vic explained it on his radio show this morning.It's exactly as Buff posted.

tripp
01-12-2015, 07:17 PM
I was too sad to listen to The Fan this morning. I'm in a period of healing, they were just gonna beat down the Broncos. :(

silkamilkamonico
01-12-2015, 07:24 PM
Reallywanted to listen to the drive.

Big AL and DMac were so sure we would roll Indy and this was the start of a greatrun for us this year in the postseason.

Davii
01-12-2015, 07:25 PM
Vic explained it on his radio show this morning.It's exactly as Buff posted.

Yes. It was about manning being hurt.

https://twitter.com/VicLombardi/status/554675082874720257?s=01

GEM
01-12-2015, 07:25 PM
They're too busy speculating on Manning and the coaching status.

LawDog
01-12-2015, 07:29 PM
Yes. It was about manning being hurt.

https://twitter.com/VicLombardi/status/554675082874720257?s=01

If that was true (about the players not having any confidence) how do explain the three and out on the Colt's first possession of the game, and then the long drive (68 yds I think) for a TD that followed it. How did they all fall off a cliff after that?

silkamilkamonico
01-12-2015, 07:30 PM
If that was true (about the players not having any confidence) how do explain the three and out on the Colt's first possession of the game, and then the long drive (68 yds I think) for a TD that followed it. How did they all fall off a cliff after that?

No kidding. The players didn't believe that other units could step up and help Manning to win? WTF?

tripp
01-12-2015, 07:31 PM
Reallywanted to listen to the drive.

Big AL and DMac were so sure we would roll Indy and this was the start of a greatrun for us this year in the postseason.

God I hate DMac. Love Alfred though.

tripp
01-12-2015, 07:33 PM
No kidding. The players didn't believe that other units could step up and help Manning to win? WTF?

Has this team ever had a statement game this year though? A game to make them feel like the game is never over. Remember when the Broncos were being trashed by the Chargers in San Diego in the 2012 season? They came back and beat them by 2 scores. We never had a statement game that tested the strength and character of this team. I think that attributes to why they felt like they couldn't win this game. No confidence to do it.

LawDog
01-12-2015, 07:36 PM
Has this team ever had a statement game this year though? A game to make them feel like the game is never over. Remember when the Broncos were being trashed by the Chargers in San Diego in the 2012 season? They came back and beat them by 2 scores. We never had a statement game that tested the strength and character of this team. I think that attributes to why they felt like they couldn't win this game. No confidence to do it.

We did have a lot of games that we were winning easily and then lost or had to hold on for dear life to win...

tripp
01-12-2015, 07:39 PM
We did have a lot of games that we were winning easily and then lost or had to hold on for dear life to win...

Wouldn't say it was a statement game, think you said it pretty good, "holding on for dear life". I don't think they builds you confidence.

LawDog
01-12-2015, 07:45 PM
Wouldn't say it was a statement game, think you said it pretty good, "holding on for dear life". I don't think they builds you confidence.

Meant to say, "No, but..." and yes those games did little to build confidence, and showed poor coaching.

silkamilkamonico
01-12-2015, 07:46 PM
Defense played great, almost stellar the last half of the season. Most 3 and outs by far of all 32 NFL teams. It's disappointing seeing a defensive player, one with as much pride as Harris, have that mentality as opposed to a mentality of "that's ok old man, we'll carry you to victory". That's the mantra that all great defenses have.

Northman
01-12-2015, 07:48 PM
Thats how it was always going to be with this squad. Manning is Gandalf and the rest are hobbits hoping to get a puff form his pipe. Said it a long time ago, as Manning goes this team goes.

Cugel
01-12-2015, 07:48 PM
So if Glazier stated that Fox was on the hot seat before the game was even played...how did the players not know and play their hardest to save their coach's job? I mean that shows some serious indifference to things around you. Shows a lack of heart from the team if they had an inkling that their coach's job was on the line and that was the performance they gave.

I don't think any of the players or coaches had a clue that Fox might walk. The coaches that Adam Shefter talked to this afternoon were all shocked, and none of them had any idea what was going to happen next. Normally, you read the hand-writing on the wall and start polishing your resume and calling your agent. But, they didn't know, so I doubt the players were focused on that at all.

It's just a lack of focus that afflicted the entire team the 2nd half of the season. They could feel that.

Davii
01-12-2015, 07:49 PM

Go send Vic a tweet and ask him, i can't explain his thoughts or feelings in a locker room.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-12-2015, 07:55 PM
I did notice Emmanuel Sanders visibly upset on multiple occasions.

What was shocking is he looked pissed at Manning.

tomjonesrocks
01-12-2015, 07:57 PM
What was shocking is he looked pissed at Manning.

The main reception I remember from Sanders was the one where he tripped over his own feet and missed a ball tantalizingly in reach.

Was one of the few overthrows NOT on Manning.

silkamilkamonico
01-12-2015, 08:26 PM
Thats how it was always going to be with this squad. Manning is Gandalf and the rest are hobbits hoping to get a puff form his pipe. Said it a long time ago, as Manning goes this team goes.

Hopefully Manning is gone and so is the entire defense with that soft mentality.

Davii
01-12-2015, 08:35 PM
Hopefully Manning is gone and so is the entire defense with that soft mentality.

Let's fire everyone, fold up shop, and become a cricket team.

silkamilkamonico
01-12-2015, 08:37 PM
Let's fire everyone, fold up shop, and become a cricket team.

Or hire Dan Quinn, and actually teach the defense that we can win football games, and even a SuperBowl, regardless of how the offense is playing.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
01-12-2015, 08:54 PM
If the players were resigned to losing a game they had not yet played...

Professional athletes are paid to do one thing. If they can't go out there and perform to an acceptable level because Peyton is injured, Elway needs to continue blowing shit up.

Cugel
01-13-2015, 01:23 AM

Oh, man are you going to be eating your words next season and for the next 5-10 years once the realization sets in about how hard it is to find an elite QB in the NFL. :coffee:

wayninja
01-13-2015, 08:49 AM
Oh, man are you going to be eating your words next season and for the next 5-10 years once the realization sets in about how hard it is to find an elite QB in the NFL. :coffee:

I still don't understand this. Is there an alternative? Can we just make manning play better with science or something?

MasterShake
01-13-2015, 09:08 AM
I still don't understand this. Is there an alternative? Can we just make manning play better with science or something?

I heard some good points brought up yesterday that Manning not only needs more help around him, but he needs less enablers. You get the sense that he and Gase looked at John Fox like a lost old teddy bear with a raspy voice who wasn't on the same level as them as far as football IQ is concerned.

I never got the sense personally that John Fox's fingerprints were on any of the game plans since Tebow was here. I'm willing for one more re-load and run with Manning, but we need to get someone in here that can tell him "No" and isn't afraid to make him sit his ass down if he is hurt or struggling. Hell even Brady got benched earlier this year in KC. I just want to see the same passion out of these team as I put into it, and I think Elway recognizes that too hopefully. Getting rid of Fox is a good first move to a attitude adjustment.

Dreadnought
01-13-2015, 09:38 AM
I heard some good points brought up yesterday that Manning not only needs more help around him, but he needs less enablers. You get the sense that he and Gase looked at John Fox like a lost old teddy bear with a raspy voice who wasn't on the same level as them as far as football IQ is concerned.

I never got the sense personally that John Fox's fingerprints were on any of the game plans since Tebow was here. I'm willing for one more re-load and run with Manning, but we need to get someone in here that can tell him "No" and isn't afraid to make him sit his ass down if he is hurt or struggling. Hell even Brady got benched earlier this year in KC. I just want to see the same passion out of these team as I put into it, and I think Elway recognizes that too hopefully. Getting rid of Fox is a good first move to a attitude adjustment.

I heard earlier about a Sandy Clough report that the real problem was that Manning was effectively running the show, and Fox was tired of the front office enabling that. Who knows.

wayninja
01-13-2015, 09:44 AM
I heard earlier about a Sandy Clough report that the real problem was that Manning was effectively running the show, and Fox was tired of the front office enabling that. Who knows.

I can see that. Week in and week out in the gameday thread, we aren't sure who to scream at for the playcalling. It's been very troubling for us that like to yell, blame.

OB
01-13-2015, 09:53 AM
There is no doubt they lacked passion and heart - something Elway had that Manning just doesnt seem to have- he is so formal and robotic sometimes you wonder if he has the passion it takes to win that big game. Also, you can see the frustration ALL over his face when things immediately dont go his way - its like he falls apart if things arent exactly how he planned them to be (ie the first bad snap and the crowd noise at the SB) and the whole team follows him down the dark hole and they never recover.

wayninja
01-13-2015, 09:59 AM
There is no doubt they lacked passion and heart - something Elway had that Manning just doesnt seem to have- he is so formal and robotic sometimes you wonder if he has the passion it takes to win that big game. Also, you can see the frustration ALL over his face when things immediately dont go his way - its like he falls apart if things arent exactly how he planned them to be (ie the first bad snap and the crowd noise at the SB) and the whole team follows him down the dark hole and they never recover.

Yep, that's been a common theme throughout his career. Get him off his game and he never seems to be able to recover. Whether that's in the pocket with pass timing, or on the sidelines with the "manning look". He's a great QB, arguably one of the best ever. But I definitely question his skills as a leader... especially when the chips are down.

Krugan
01-13-2015, 10:00 AM
I dont see that with manning, the guy has fought his team into games they shouldnt have been in as well as struggled with games.

You dont play that many years with out having passion and heart, much less come back after a series of neck surgeries just to pad stats.

wayninja
01-13-2015, 10:03 AM
I dont see that with manning, the guy has fought his team into games they shouldnt have been in as well as struggled with games.

You dont play that many years with out having passion and heart, much less come back after a series of neck surgeries just to pad stats.

Again, I'm not trying to make everything black and white, but he did have 60 million reasons to come back after surgery.

Krugan
01-13-2015, 10:12 AM
Again, I'm not trying to make everything black and white, but he did have 60 million reasons to come back after surgery.

Indeed he did, I just think the idea of lack of passion or heart is abit over the top.

Lack of mental fortitude when things go to far south, maybe. But heart and passion, I dont see that.

OB
01-13-2015, 10:14 AM
I am not saying he doesnt have ANY passion or heart I am saying he doesnt have the kind that wins the big games. I think his record speaks for itself and honestly I feel its more of the mental thing with Peyton. Like ninja said, get him off his game and he cant seem to find a way to bounce back - I think its a mental thing - he is so by the book and intelligent that when things dont go his way he just almost cant understand how its possible and cant recover in the time necessary to come back and win the game. And I dont mean he cant come back from being down , I am saying when something is off with HIM he doesnt recover well - when the team is off he can and has carried them to victory but when he is off (and the whole team follows) he doesnt do good at bouncing back (or maybe at letting someone else take the reins) Its like if he cant be the leader on and off the field, no one can.

TXBRONC
01-13-2015, 10:14 AM

I agree he has passion for the game but he let that get in the way of sound judgment. He shouldn't have been playing. It now surfaces after a playoff loss that his injury was severe and had been problem for the last seven weeks of the season. It comes across as an excuse for losing. Maybe if Manning had swallowed his pride and sat for a few weeks maybe things turn out differently.

Krugan
01-13-2015, 10:17 AM
I am not saying he doesnt have ANY passion or heart I am saying he doesnt have the kind that wins the big games. I think his record speaks for itself and honestly I feel its more of the mental thing with Peyton. Like ninja said, get him off his game and he cant seem to find a way to bounce back - I think its a mental thing - he is so by the book and intelligent that when things dont go his way he just almost cant understand how its possible and cant recover in the time necessary to come back and win the game. And I dont mean he cant come back from being down , I am saying when something is off with HIM he doesnt recover well - when the team is off he can and has carried them to victory but when he is off (and the whole team follows) he doesnt do good at bouncing back (or maybe at letting someone else take the reins) Its like if he cant be the leader on and off the field, no one can.

fair enough, good points.

Cugel
01-14-2015, 02:58 PM

We can make him play better than Brock Osweiler or anybody else they are going to be able to get next season, and it won't take science to do it.

I'm sure Elway wants to give Os a chance, and maybe he'll get one next season. But, just look at the list of late 2nd round and later draft picks over the last 14 seasons since Tom Brady was selected.

It is one FUGLY list where the "standouts" (i.e. guys you might remember) are such amazing standouts as Matt Schaub and Kyle Orton.

Out of about 130 QBs selected, the only unqualified success was Russell Wilson. And Tony Romo was undrafted. Those are not good odds.

And speaking of Romo, until this season the fans in Dallas wanted to lynch him "southern style" and then set him on fire. Add DeMarco Murray and go to a physical run centered team and they finally win a playoff game and nearly beat Green Bay.

Could the same thing happen here in Denver with Peyton? It did with John Elway remember! I'm not saying it's a guarantee, but it's a lot more likely than hoping that somehow Brock Osweiler leads them to a SB (ever) or that they magically find a QB drafting at the bottom of the 1st round.

wayninja
01-14-2015, 03:02 PM
We can make him play better than Brock Osweiler or anybody else they are going to be able to get next season, and it won't take science to do it.

I'm sure Elway wants to give Os a chance, and maybe he'll get one next season. But, just look at the list of late 2nd round and later draft picks over the last 14 seasons since Tom Brady was selected.

It is one FUGLY list where the "standouts" (i.e. guys you might remember) are such amazing standouts as Matt Schaub and Kyle Orton.

Out of about 130 QBs selected, the only unqualified success was Russell Wilson. And Tony Romo was undrafted. Those are not good odds.

And speaking of Romo, until this season the fans in Dallas wanted to lynch him "southern style" and then set him on fire. Add DeMarco Murray and go to a physical run centered team and they finally win a playoff game and nearly beat Green Bay.

Could the same thing happen here in Denver with Peyton? It did with John Elway remember! I'm not saying it's a guarantee, but it's a lot more likely than hoping that somehow Brock Osweiler leads them to a SB (ever) or that they magically find a QB drafting at the bottom of the 1st round.

What will it take? The only other QB to have a worse performance in the playoffs this season was Ryan Lindley.

I don't know, I'm not sold that Osweilers downsides are totally mitigated by Mannings upsides anymore. I guess we will know more when (if) he comes back and what his arm looks like with a healed quad.