PDA

View Full Version : Whatever hapapened to play action?

mouthofsouth
01-12-2015, 09:50 AM
Peyton Manning has always been one of the best play action qbs ever. Even when he had little or no running game, he was still a master at deceiving the defense, drawing them in for a run, and then throwing and hitting his target. Now, would you not think that when the Broncos finally got an outstanding runner and a semblance of a good running game, they would use play action a lot???? But no. The defense always knows exactly what they plan to do before they do it. Several teams this year had the Broncos offense completely figured out before they played. You cannot fool smart coaches when you do not have a Plan B.

I laughed yesterday when it was announced Julius Thomas had returned to the game. (in second half at some point.) To me AND TO THE COLTS that meant that on the next play Peyton would throw to Julius Thomas. And sure enough. You don't think the Colts knew that???? The play was snuffed.

What awful coaching. And to think the dc and oc are up for head coaching jobs! I think they ruined their chances yesterday.

CrazyHorse
01-12-2015, 09:53 AM
It was there yesterday. I noticed a lack of our "pick" plays though to combat press man coverage.

Northman
01-12-2015, 10:23 AM
Well apparently to some people the running game ruined him. lmao

Krugan
01-12-2015, 10:26 AM
The offense has been unimaginative for several months....

Edmonton Bronco Fan
01-12-2015, 10:54 AM
Yeah, the lack of PA was something I didn't understand. We used it a lot against Oakland in the final regular season game but there were times when it was noticeably absent for long stretches of games.

And running the ball is fine too North, but I think that running the ball every single first down -- or every first and second down, then passing on third ad nausea is a recipe for disaster. And we did too much of that with alarming frequency at times. I don't understand why at times our coaches couldn't switch things up and keep opposing defenses honest. It was as if they were under the assumption that the rules didn't allow for a passing play to be called on first down and when a defense knows what's coming allowing them to pin their ears back and tee off, it makes it more difficult for all involved. How many times did CJ encounter a defender in the backfield after getting the ball and make chicken salad out of chicken shit? If he didn't have such an innate ability to make people miss, I don't think that our balanced attack would have even been possible as it is.

silkamilkamonico
01-12-2015, 10:59 AM
Gase and the coaching staff happened.

Joel
01-12-2015, 11:25 AM
Well apparently to some people the running game ruined him. lmao
Yeah, I've kind of been wondering what she thought of this whole "Peyton's so addicted to passing he won't let us run, and can't pass if we run more than twice a game" schtick that's GOT to be a hard sell for anyone who watched Manning BEFORE he got to Denver. Easier to blame the pricey short term rental with the "choker" rap than admit any FUNDAMENTAL problems with the TEAM that didn't magically disappear when we signed him and won't when he retires.

silkamilkamonico is right thoug: GASE happened. Play action only works for teams that 1) have a good enough run game defenses must honor the fake and 2) don't run till stuffed, then pass till stuffed, "alternating" back and forth all game. Like, maybe if we sometimes passed AND sometimes ran on first down, or expect CJ to keep getting an endless string of 15 yd gainers in a row until he doesn't, then throw a pair of incompletes into a D expecting them and punt.

That ain't Manning audibling (the OP probably recalls Manning LIKES checking to runs as much as any great QB.) It's Manning doing what Gase told him even when he knows it's wrong.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-12-2015, 11:37 AM
A thigh tear explains a lot about the passing game. We made one pass down the seam yesterday. ....one.