PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning as Head Coach? (for Fox)

TimHippo
01-12-2015, 01:58 AM
Fox is on his way out. Manning will eventually be a very good head coach in the SEC or NFL.

Assuming Manning retires why not make him head coach. Surround him with a great OC and DC. He already knows the players and runs the offense anyway. I think it can be a seemless transition.

NightTerror218
01-12-2015, 01:59 AM
Fox is on his way out. Manning will eventually be a very good head coach in the SEC or NFL.

Assuming Manning retires why not make him head coach. Surround him with a great OC and DC. He already knows the players and runs the offense anyway. I think it can be a seemless transition.

As a head coach....um no. Position coach sure.

Joel
01-12-2015, 02:01 AM
There's a reason CEO's not an entry level position. Start off as QBs coach, or even OC, and move to HC after learning and adjusting to the view facing the bench instead of on it.

TimHippo
01-12-2015, 02:02 AM
As a head coach....um no. Position coach sure.

I think a position coach would be harder since he has little experience. As head coach, responsibility is delegated to the OC, DC, and position coaches. Not as hard for someone who has already basically run a couple teams (Indy and Denver).

I mean look at John Fox. He's a head coach and what does he really do that's so hard.

Simple Jaded
01-12-2015, 02:03 AM
How many HC's, college or otherwise, have a net worth of over $140 MM?

TimHippo
01-12-2015, 02:04 AM
The other problem with making him a position coach or OC is that you are basically grooming him for the head coaching job which really wouldn't fly with the head coach (whoever it is). The worst thing you can do is groom him and then he goes on to a head coaching job with another team in the NFL or SEC.

Simple Jaded
01-12-2015, 02:08 AM
The other problem with making him a position coach or OC is that you are basically grooming him for the head coaching job which really wouldn't fly with the head coach (whoever it is). The worst thing you can do is groom him and then he goes on to a head coaching job with another team in the NFL or SEC.

I just don't think he's going into coaching, he has his Manning Camp and I think that's about the extent of it.

TimHippo
01-12-2015, 02:12 AM
I just don't think he's going into coaching, he has his Manning Camp and I think that's about the extent of it.

He will be a head coach for sure. Always felt that way about him. Too much of a competitor and has the intelligence and coaching Xs and O's feel for the game. He was practically the head coach/OC on the field for the Colts and Broncos like Sid Luckman.

It's just a matter of if it will be in the NFL or in college football in the SEC (maybe Tennessee) or both but he will be a head coach.

Simple Jaded
01-12-2015, 02:19 AM
He will be a head coach for sure. Always felt that way about him. Too much of a competitor and has the intelligence and coaching Xs and O's feel for the game. He was practically the head coach/OC on the field for the Colts and Broncos like Sid Luckman.

It's just a matter of if it will be in the NFL or in college football in the SEC (maybe Tennessee) or both but he will be a head coach.

Maybe, I think he clearly has a gift for coaching.

Tebowtime2011
01-12-2015, 02:25 AM
Retiring and becoming a head coach the next year? Crap like that only happens in the NBA.

CrazyHorse
01-12-2015, 02:26 AM
Can't say he'd be a downgrade over the current coach.

TimHippo
01-12-2015, 02:27 AM
Retiring and becoming a head coach the next year? Crap like that only happens in the NBA.

Off the bat, Manning will be a better head coach than John Fox.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
01-12-2015, 03:00 AM
Don't see Manning going into coaching immediately after leaving the game. I could see him in an in studio analyst role before he goes that route, actually. But have to imagine whatever he does afterwards, after being around it for so long, a well deserved break away from anything football related would be in order anyway.

Joel
01-12-2015, 05:33 AM
Off the bat, Manning will be a better head coach than John Fox.
Setting the bar so low I've got a pair of dirty socks that could get over it. :(

OrangeFanatic
01-12-2015, 06:50 AM
setting the bar so low i've got a pair of dirty socks that could get over it. :(

lol

mouthofsouth
01-12-2015, 09:37 AM
How many HC's, college or otherwise, have a net worth of over $140 MM?

You just do not know Peyton Manning if you think because he is wealthy he will go sit on his butt somewhere and smoke weed.

BroncoWave
01-12-2015, 10:35 AM
There is no way in a million years Peyton jumps straight into being a head coach next year. Come on. Besides, people forget he has two young kids right now. I'm sure he would much prefer to take a break and have a chance to see his kids grow up a little before heading jumps back into the grind of football.

NightTrainLayne
01-12-2015, 10:37 AM
Peyton will never coach. He has no reason to. Nothing to gain from it, nothing that can be proven by it, and a legacy to lose.

He might be part of an ownership group of an NFL team someday. But coaching? Forget it.

MOtorboat
01-12-2015, 12:44 PM
Peyton will never coach. He has no reason to. Nothing to gain from it, nothing that can be proven by it, and a legacy to lose.

He might be part of an ownership group of an NFL team someday. But coaching? Forget it.

He's going right into ownership of the Memphis Grizzlies the minute he files his papers.

tripleoption
01-12-2015, 05:04 PM

If he does coach, he's in a no win situation. Suppose he wins a Super Bowl as an HC? He'll be criticized because he only did it once as a player, and he only won one as a coach because he had a great team and great assistants. If he doesn't, he'll be called everything he's being called now. I would love to see him as an OC somewhere, but I think you're right I don't know if there is anything for him to gain.

Simple Jaded
01-12-2015, 05:32 PM
You just do not know Peyton Manning if you think because he is wealthy he will go sit on his butt somewhere and smoke weed.

I never said I knew him and I couldn't possibly care less what he does after retiring, he's earned the right to smoke whatever the **** he wants. For the moment I'll take this post as a public service announcement and not some condescending lecture from an overzealous mama bear.

TimHippo
01-12-2015, 05:58 PM
I never said I knew him and I couldn't possibly care less what he does after retiring, he's earned the right to smoke whatever the **** he wants. For the moment I'll take this post as a public service announcement and not some condescending lecture from an overzealous mama bear.

Manning just isn't the type to sit around like Joe Montana, Marino, Eli Manning or those other glamour boys who enjoys life and/or the limelight. Manning eats and breathes football and competing. That is what he enjoys. I can't see him as an analyst or pundit either because he's a man of action not words.

He's one of the smartest offensive minds in the game and will become a head coach and a highly successful head coach.

MOtorboat
01-12-2015, 06:01 PM
Manning just isn't the type to sit around like Joe Montana, Marino, Eli Manning or those other glamour boys who enjoys life and/or the limelight. Manning eats and breathes football and competing. That is what he enjoys. I can't see him as an analyst or pundit either because he's a man of action not words.

He's one of the smartest offensive minds in the game and will become a head coach and a highly successful head coach.

He's going to own a team, not coach one. He's business smart too.

TimHippo
01-12-2015, 06:10 PM
He's going to own a team, not coach one. He's business smart too.

He likes the X's and O's and is too much of a competitor to just sit back in the front office or skybox. We'll see what happens but the guy was born to be a head coach. Even as a player he knows how to make money so he'll be fine making alot of money from other ventures as a head coach.

MOtorboat
01-12-2015, 06:21 PM
He likes the X's and O's and is too much of a competitor to just sit back in the front office or skybox. We'll see what happens but the guy was born to be a head coach. Even as a player he knows how to make money so he'll be fine making alot of money from other ventures as a head coach.

You ever hear of a owner that coaches? His wife owns part of the Grizzlies. The only reason she owns the shares is because the NFL refused to allow an active player be an owner of team, regardless of sport. He's going to own part of the Grizzlies as soon as he files his papers. I just don't think a guy like that is going to want to go work 20 hours a day as a coordinator somewhere.

TimHippo
01-12-2015, 06:33 PM
You ever hear of a owner that coaches? His wife owns part of the Grizzlies. The only reason she owns the shares is because the NFL refused to allow an active player be an owner of team, regardless of sport. He's going to own part of the Grizzlies as soon as he files his papers. I just don't think a guy like that is going to want to go work 20 hours a day as a coordinator somewhere.

Yes, George Halas. Paul Brown. Might want to rephrase that.

If Manning wanted to coach he'd just let his wife keep the shares. No big deal.

Simple Jaded
01-12-2015, 06:38 PM

Actually, I'd consider Manning to be a far bigger glamour boy than Montana and his brother. Aside from that I see it same as MO, I just don't see him as a coach as much as an owner. I see him getting his coaching kicks while he's playing and doing the broadcasting thing for a while before going into the ownership role.

MOtorboat
01-12-2015, 06:40 PM
Yes, George Halas. Paul Brown. Might want to rephrase that.

If Manning wanted to coach he'd just let his wife keep the shares. No big deal.

60 and 70 years ago. That doesn't happen now.

TimHippo
01-12-2015, 06:42 PM
Actually, I'd consider Manning to be a far bigger glamour boy than Montana and his brother. Aside from that I see it same as MO, I just don't see him as a coach as much as an owner. I see him getting his coaching kicks while he's playing and doing the broadcasting thing for a while before going into the ownership role.

He's not a glamour boy. He doesn't really care about his looks or his hair like Eli or Montana or Brady.

Everything with him is about self deprecation rather than trying to make himself look cool or get the chicks.

He's a rather simple man who has a single mindedness for competition on the gridiron.

TimHippo
01-12-2015, 06:44 PM
60 and 70 years ago. That doesn't happen now.

Not true. Dan Snyder. Current head coach, GM and owner of the Redskins.

Npba900
01-12-2015, 06:53 PM
He's not a glamour boy. He doesn't really care about his looks or his hair like Eli or Montana or Brady.

Everything with him is about self deprecation rather than trying to make himself look cool or get the chicks.

He's a rather simple man who has a single mindedness for competition on the gridiron.

I can see Manning coming back one more year for the possibility of playing for Mike Shanahan as his HC. Elway and Shanahan have never won SB's without one another! Manning respects Shanahan offensive capability.