PDA

View Full Version : If you were Elway...

CrazyHorse
01-12-2015, 12:44 AM
What would you do?

I'd say

Fire Fox and Del Rio
Keep Gase if possible
Hire Kubiak as HC
Have Manning restructure if he decides to come back
Fix the offensive line somehow
Trade Montee Ball for picks with CJ as starter and Hillman backup
Re-sign DT
Franchise tag Julius
Bring back Dennis Allen if possible

Bronco9798
01-12-2015, 01:11 AM
If I was Elway, I'd probably be sitting at Shotgun Willies getting me a table dance and drinking a whole lot of alcohol.

Tebowtime2011
01-12-2015, 01:20 AM
I believe the o line can be fixed with one good draft pick but I'm not sure if it will happen.

chazoe60
01-12-2015, 01:20 AM
Do not franchise JT. That would be a terrible allocation of funds.

CrazyHorse
01-12-2015, 01:40 AM

Demaryius?

TimHippo
01-12-2015, 01:59 AM
If I was Elway, I'd probably be sitting at Shotgun Willies getting me a table dance and drinking a whole lot of alcohol.

While the wife shops at Target.

Simple Jaded
01-12-2015, 02:02 AM
Still has trade value.

Joel
01-12-2015, 02:07 AM
Fixing the line and keeping Gase may be mutually exclusive. Though why anyone with Elways offensive experience (or any) would keep Gase. Del Rios group wasn't great Sunday, but FAR better than Gases, an Del Rio was facing an elite QB with tons of great receivers; Gase HAD an elite QB and receivers against a mediocre (at best) D. "Run till stuffed, then pass till punt" is not "balance." How 'bout a little variety instead of alternating between only one thing and only the other?

If I were Elway I'd draft/sign a top LG, RT and MLB. But if Manning hangs it up... dunno; not sure there are any true franchise QBs in the draft/FA.

TimHippo
01-12-2015, 02:09 AM
Fixing the line and keeping Gase may be mutually exclusive. Though why anyone with Elways offensive experience (or any) would keep Gase. Del Rios group wasn't great Sunday, but FAR better than Gases, an Del Rio was facing an elite QB with tons of great receivers; Gase HAD an elite QB and receivers against a mediocre (at best) D. "Run till stuffed, then pass till punt" is not "balance." How 'bout a little variety instead of alternating between only one thing and only the other?

If I were Elway I'd draft/sign a top LG, RT and MLB. But if Manning hangs it up... dunno; not sure there are any true franchise QBs in the draft/FA.

I just don't get the adulation for Gase. Dude is mediocre and a milquetoast.

Simple Jaded
01-12-2015, 02:11 AM
Hey Joel, speaking of that OL that you're wrong about, did you happen to see Franklin pulling and trapping today or do you still just see what you wanna see?

CrazyHorse
01-12-2015, 02:23 AM
Hey Joel, speaking of that OL that you're wrong about, did you happen to see Franklin pulling and trapping today or do you still just see what you wanna see?

I did. We still need a right tackle though with Vasquez moving back to guard.

Simple Jaded
01-12-2015, 02:29 AM
I did. We still need a right tackle though with Vasquez moving back to guard.

Agreed, that's assuming Franklin stays, which is no safe bet. I think Schoefield is an option for both positions.

Edmonton Bronco Fan
01-12-2015, 02:57 AM
Offensive Line needs to be the number one priority in the off season.

Number two is our coaching situation. I'm not convinced that Fox, Gase or Del Rio should be back regardless of whether or not they are offered other job opportunities. But if the stipulation on Manning returning for another season is Gase being internally promoted, that has to factor in. I still think Manning has another year of high quality ball left but it's imperative we afford him the best situation in which to flourish. CJ is one part of the solution; a better O Line is the other.

Thirdly, Pot Roast, DT and Orange Julius need to be resigned. Julius' injury was blessing in disguise, if we have to franchise DT instead of Julius I expect that his value will be more manageable than it was looking to be after the first half of this season. Priorities for resigning have to be the two Thomases though, no ifs ands or buts about it.

MLB is another problem area that needs to be addressed. I also like the CJ/Juwan combo in the backfield better than the CJ/Hillman one.

Joel
01-12-2015, 03:16 AM
We ran 20 times and passed 46 in a game close till near the end: How the heck many times COULD Franklin pull and trap? Not that the line lost that game; it was a group fail by virtually the whole team, and when a team with NINE Pro Bowlers, a pair of HoFers and former DRoY explodes on the playoff launchpad AGAIN, "Fire Fox, Gase and probably would Del Rio" should be the first change.

OrangeFanatic
01-12-2015, 06:56 AM
What would you do?

I'd say

Fire Fox and Del Rio
Keep Gase if possible
Hire Kubiak as HC
Re-sign DT
Franchise tag Julius

Fire Fox, Gase, and Del Rio. DO NOT bring back choker Manning. DO NOT resign butterfingers.

DO bring back CJ, the only Bronco who didn't choke and actually wanted to win.

Jsteve01
01-12-2015, 08:15 AM
What would you do?

I'd say

Fire Fox and Del Rio
Keep Gase if possible
Hire Kubiak as HC
Re-sign DT
Franchise tag Julius

Fire Fox, Gase, and Del Rio. DO NOT bring back choker Manning. DO NOT resign butterfingers.

DO bring back CJ, the only Bronco who didn't choke and actually wanted to win.. Youre a joke

tomjonesrocks
01-12-2015, 08:23 AM
What a grease fire. I'm glad it's not me that has to make the call.

Gase for HC and Dennis Allen for DC would be drastic change with some stability/familiarity though.

On Manning I'd imagine there would need to be some heart to heart talks about if he can heal up and play well again or if he's done. To go down to Luck and the Colts though just must be painful.

OrangeFanatic
01-12-2015, 08:26 AM
. Youre a joke

Good argument. You have clearly demonstrated the fallacies of my points.

TXBRONC
01-12-2015, 08:28 AM
What would you do?

I'd say

Fire Fox and Del Rio
Keep Gase if possible
Hire Kubiak as HC
Re-sign DT
Franchise tag Julius

I say no to firing Fox and Del-Rio. Denver was out played not out coached.

If Gase leaves Elway should consider hiring Kubiak as an Assistant Head Coach.

Manning restructuring is a must.

I don't agree that there is a lot wrong with this offensive line. I would like see Vasquez moved back to his natural position.

Trading Ball is neither here nor there to me. If Elway decides that's in the best interest of the team then so be it.

Re-signing D.T. is a no-brainer.

I'm not sure Elway will have to franchise Julius to keep him.

If Del-Rio leaves I don't have problem with Broncos bring back Allen as the defensive coordinator.

TXBRONC
01-12-2015, 08:31 AM
Good argument. You have clearly demonstrated the fallacies of my points.

I agree you're not a joke, you're just a troll.

OrangeFanatic
01-12-2015, 08:33 AM

I don't agree that there is a lot wrong with this offensive line. I would like see Vasquez moved back to his natural position.

Trading Ball is neither here nor there to me. If Elway decides that's in the best interest of the team then so be it.

If Del-Rio leaves I don't have problem with Broncos bring back Allen as the defensive coordinator.

Fox, Gase, and Del Rio must go. Manning needs to go. The offensive line needs to ****, minus Franklin. Butterfingers needs to go. Why haven't we traded Ball already?

Time to rebuild.

7DnBrnc53
01-12-2015, 08:56 AM
Fox, Gase, and Del Rio must go. Manning needs to go. The offensive line needs to ****, minus Franklin. Butterfingers needs to go. Why haven't we traded Ball already?

Time to rebuild.

I can't believe it. I am listening to 104.3 The Fan, and Nate Lundy and Joel Dreessen are saying that they should keep Fox because you don't fire someone who gets you to the playoffs. You have to be kidding. Fox has to go. Now!!! So does Del Rio and the special teams coach.

Also, Evans is saying that he would want Mike Shanahan to come back. NO!! Shanahan will let Knighton and Talib go, and replace him with stumblebums because defense is against his religion.

OrangeFanatic
01-12-2015, 09:02 AM
I can't believe it. I am listening to 104.3 The Fan, and Nate Lundy and Joel Dreessen are saying that they should keep Fox because you don't fire someone who gets you to the playoffs. You have to be kidding. Fox has to go. Now!!! So does Del Rio and the special teams coach.

Also, Evans is saying that he would want Mike Shanahan to come back. NO!! Shanahan will let Knighton and Talib go, and replace him with stumblebums because defense is against his religion.

Listening as well and am having the same feelings....

BroncoJoe
01-12-2015, 09:03 AM
First thing Elway has to do is have a long sit down with Peyton. If he stays, there's no way they let Fox go (IMO).

CoachChaz
01-12-2015, 09:37 AM
First thing Elway has to do is have a long sit down with Peyton. If he stays, there's no way they let Fox go (IMO).

My only problem with that is I dont know if that conversation happens right away and we need to make decisions quick. Maybe it can happen fast, but if not...John needs to do what is best for the team. I have faith that he will.

BroncoJoe
01-12-2015, 09:43 AM
My only problem with that is I dont know if that conversation happens right away and we need to make decisions quick. Maybe it can happen fast, but if not...John needs to do what is best for the team. I have faith that he will.

I agree. I also think it'll be really hard to fire a guy to took a QB like Tebow to the playoffs (and won a game), wins four straight AFCW titles, a conference championship and a SB appearance.

I know I'm ready for a change as a fan, but have enjoyed the last several years.

CrazyHorse
01-12-2015, 10:22 AM

Part of being a coach is being able to motivate your players. Fox's country club atmosphere isn't conducive to that. Besides CJ the whole team seamed to play uninspired.

Joel
01-12-2015, 02:30 PM
Been thinking about that, too; Manning may be at a tipping point where he needs an offseason and camp to know if he can still be "THE guy" all year—but we need to know who's our starter LONG before August. I'm not sure we have any other QBs under contract right now, but know we must make Oz an offer (or not) relatively soon, and I doubt Dysert's can be the face of the franchise for the next decade.

Part of being a coach is being able to motivate your players. Fox's country club atmosphere isn't conducive to that. Besides CJ the whole team seamed to play uninspired.
I've long believed any head coach inheriting an awful team (and Fox came to a team holding the #2 overall pick) deserves and NEEDS 4+ years of patience. It takes that long to sign/draft his player to play his game his way and replace all the bums and philophies that got the last guy fired. But Foxs 4th Denver season ended no better than his 1st, despite an order of magnitude more talent. Time to go; too bad it's too late to do Champ or Manning any good, because I've never heard of a new coach bringing in a new philosophy of his own and immediately taking a team to a championship; teams need to adjust, too.

Mike
01-12-2015, 02:47 PM
Denver needs change all around. The whole culture needs to be changed. Leaving bits of the existing culture won't help. Tear it down and build around CJ. Manning can stay if he is on board with change.

O-line would be priority #1. Vazquez back to G. Find a RT and C. Look at LT as well.
I would make Knighton the priority offseason signing.
Reach out to DT and JT. But if they aren't reasonable then they can walk.
Cut Colquit.
Consider cutting Clady or asking for a restructure.

weazel
01-12-2015, 06:13 PM
...I would fix my teeth

Npba900
01-12-2015, 07:32 PM
What would you do?

I'd say

Fire Fox and Del Rio
Keep Gase if possible
Hire Kubiak as HC
Re-sign DT
Franchise tag Julius

Here's a Wild Card thought! Bring back Mike Shanahan and Gary Kubiac to revive that Denver Bronco championship MAGIC!!!

Npba900
01-12-2015, 07:34 PM

Manning could be on his way out as well!!!!!!

LawDog
01-12-2015, 07:42 PM

Problem with the last sentence; our next HC will not have the authority to let the janitor go much less make personnel decisions with Elway in charge.

chazoe60
01-12-2015, 08:24 PM
...I would fix my teeth

You son of a..........

MOtorboat
01-12-2015, 08:46 PM
I'd be awesome.

chazoe60
01-12-2015, 08:47 PM
I'd be awesome.

If anyone could be John Elway and not be awesome, it's you. :D

MOtorboat
01-12-2015, 08:49 PM
If anyone could be John Elway and not be awesome, it's you. :D

#McDanielsin2015

MileHighCrew
01-12-2015, 08:51 PM
#McDanielsin2015

Can you imagine how crazy people would go lol

chazoe60
01-12-2015, 08:52 PM
#McDanielsin2015

That's not even funny.

CrazyHorse
01-13-2015, 02:20 AM
That's not even funny.

It is if it's the Raiders.

Lancane
01-13-2015, 03:08 AM
If I was Elway I'd hire Gary Kubiak as HC, bring in Rick Dennison as Offensive Coordinator. I'd Keep Greg Knapp as Quarterbacks Coach, Clancy Barone as Tight Ends Coach, make Brian Callahan the Assistant to the Head Coach, I would let Tolbert and Studesville go offensively, and pretty much clear the slate defensively give Sam Garnes I would make him the Secondary Coach and I would also retain Jay Rodgers as the Defensive Line Coach. I'd then hire Vic Fangio as Defensive Coordinator, Greg Jackson as Linebackers Coach, Tom Rathman as Running Backs Coach, Todd Washington as Offensive Line Coach, Jay Harbaugh as Assistant to the Offensive Coordinator, Randy Brown as Special Teams Coordinator and bring in Terry Robiskie as Passing Game Coordinator/Receivers Coach.

CrazyHorse
01-13-2015, 03:30 AM
If I was Elway I'd hire Gary Kubiak as HC, bring in Rick Dennison as Offensive Coordinator. I'd Keep Greg Knapp as Quarterbacks Coach, Clancy Barone as Tight Ends Coach, make Brian Callahan the Assistant to the Head Coach, I would let Tolbert and Studesville go offensively, and pretty much clear the slate defensively give Sam Garnes I would make him the Secondary Coach and I would also retain Jay Rodgers as the Defensive Line Coach. I'd then hire Vic Fangio as Defensive Coordinator, Greg Jackson as Linebackers Coach, Tom Rathman as Running Backs Coach, Todd Washington as Offensive Line Coach, Jay Harbaugh as Assistant to the Offensive Coordinator, Randy Brown as Special Teams Coordinator and bring in Terry Robiskie as Passing Game Coordinator/Receivers Coach.

Well damn. Any roster moves?

Lancane
01-13-2015, 04:38 AM
Well damn. Any roster moves?

As far as the roster goes, there is a lot to be had or done. My priorities would be Terrance Knighton and Julius Thomas, I can always slap the franchise tag of Demaryius Thomas, though I would prefer not to, as I don't believe he is worth that amount of money - but I would also be doing so in hopes of unloading him, at times he's been as much a liability as reliable. I would allow Welker, Tamme, Garland, Montgomery, Moore, Irving, Carter and Franklin look elsewhere, re-sign Unrein and Green, both are capable rotational guys and quality depth at their positions. Re-up Marshall and Brewer, but most of the RFA are expendable, especially in light of the current fallout. I would sign Von Miller and Manuel Ramirez to new contracts, extend Osweiler's current deal as well as that of Anderson's with long-term options available at the conclusion of 2015. Especially at the current state it is likely both will be starters this upcoming season and can earn large fiscal contracts depending on their play for the season.

By unloading D. Thomas I allow Sanders, Lattimer, Caldwell and Thomas to take bigger roles with the offense, but I would still draft someone to add to their group. The offensive line would be remade because the ZBS scheme would be coming to Denver, Clady, Ramirez and Vasquez would be retained of course, Ramirez has been a trooper for Denver, hence the new deal. Schofield would probably start at right tackle and he is ideal for the zone scheme which would leave Denver with a need at Left Guard, I would look to take Max Garcia of Florida in the third round or A.J. Cann of South Carolina in the second to man the position and both are ideal for the zone - most guards in this years draft are ideal for man-to-man, Garcia can also play center or Vasquez kicked over to the left - but need is an understatement. I would likely draft two offensive lineman. With the line returning to the ZBS I would make no changes to our current running back stable give the slight extension to Anderson who if he breaks out further would be looking at big money, it can only help the other backs. Osweiler will likely be starting, but Denver will have to risk a pick on a quarterback in the draft, if they can not move up for Mariota who is my top QB in the draft, and I doubt they can taking a flyer on Garrett Grayson of Colorado State could pay dividends should Osweiler not be the quarterback they hoped for. Grayson could however play himself into a late first rounder with the Senior Bowl and Combine thereafter - another option would be Sean Mannion in the second or third rounds...but Grayson could be the steal of this draft for quarterback hungry teams.

Defensively, if Barlow is not ready to take over the inside the draft is deep with good inside linebacker prospects, I would still draft one for depth and competition. With the way the roster moves break down I would need a starter across from T.J. Ward at safety, I would look at Collins in the first or Eskridge in the second or third rounds. But most of the defense would remain intact, just small changes. As far as replacing Demaryius Thomas, this draft is just as deep at receiver as it is regarding inside linebackers, you'll see 1,000 yard receivers going well into the fifth and sixth round, remember Brandon Marshall? Paying top dollar to a receiver like Demaryius makes little sense in the wake of what is to come.

weazel
01-13-2015, 02:06 PM
You son of a..........

well I would