PDA

View Full Version : Was Manning playing hurt?

CrazyHorse
01-12-2015, 12:28 AM
Was there more wrong than was publicly disclosed? Ever since the ankle injury and then the thigh injury he wasn't the same. Being he doesn't have the same arm strength he once did he puts more of his body into his throws. With those injuries he was unable to do so. I really think this is the issue rather than his play declining with age. Less than 12 months ago he set single season records for TD's and yards and was MVP. If that really is the case I don't see why he wouldn't want to come back for another shot. That is unless of course he is physically and mentally spent.

DenBronx
01-12-2015, 12:34 AM
I think he's played hurt at times, not injured. Not sure if that makes sense. But seems he's starting to mentally check out now. The speed of the NFL is even getting faster and I think Manning just wants to stick with what has worked for Manning over the course of his career. Had this been a younger Manning I think he would be staying up all night figuring out how to beat defenses before they even line up. Now it just seems as if he just wants to keep it the same and that ish don't work against fast, speedy and smart defenses.

Tebowtime2011
01-12-2015, 01:00 AM
Alot of people usually are playing hurt in the playoffs. It happens he battled through it the best he could.

Tebowtime2011
01-12-2015, 01:11 AM
Believe it or not my biggest problem with Manning today was his face on the sideline the whole game!!!! He is our leader and he is moping around showing no hope on the sideline. I honestly think Manning will retire now because he lost his confidence in his arm after missing all those deep throws. Perhaps that is why he looked so sad because he was discouraged, but it sucks when your leader doesn't play fantastic it makes the team lose confidence as well. And for the record I'm not putting all the blame of the loss on Manning. I'm just throwing in my two cents.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-12-2015, 01:12 AM
He has to really step into his throws to get the ball down field. He's not like Rogers who can throw a 30 yard frozen rope flat footed. I think the deep thing bruise affected his ability to step into his throws.

tripleoption
01-12-2015, 01:21 AM
Was there more wrong than was publicly disclosed? Ever since the ankle injury and then the thigh injury he wasn't the same. Being he doesn't have the same arm strength he once did he puts more of his body into his throws. With those injuries he was unable to do so. I really think this is the issue rather than his play declining with age. Less than 12 months ago he set single season records for TD's and yards and was MVP. If that really is the case I don't see why he wouldn't want to come back for another shot. That is unless of course he is physically and mentally spent.

I think there's something to be said for this. Here is a recent piece on Manning's future: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/24955597

A couple of things stood out in the piece:
"In the past, Manning would have simply said he was coming back, which is why in my heart I think this could be the end of the Manning era. If it is, it's a bad way to go out.

If it is, we should all be sad.

If it is, too many knuckleheads will sadly rejoice."

"For years, the Manning bashers have been waiting for this day. Through all of his playoff frustrations -- with all the morons who called him nothing more than "Stat Boy" -- they've waited to dig the hole on his career, readying to throw in the body.

For the life of me, I never figured out why. Unlike the greats of a sport who are appreciated, he is one player who always seemed to take the worst of it. Even when he battled back from what appeared to be a career-ending neck injury, something any other player gets lauded for doing, he continued to take verbal and written shots far worse than those he took on the filed."

"Some inside the organization wonder. I talked to some Broncos players who said Manning was throwing more picks in practice in the past six weeks than at any other time. Before the game, some Colts veterans expressed to Broncos players that Manning's arm looked spent.

"You could tell something wasn't right," one Broncos player said of practice the past month. "He just didn't look like 18 out there."

Joel
01-12-2015, 02:21 AM
He has to really step into his throws to get the ball down field. He's not like Rogers who can throw a 30 yard frozen rope flat footed. I think the deep thing bruise affected his ability to step into his throws.
For what it's worth, Simms said pretty much the same thing early in the game, right down to the Rodgers comparison.

Everyone plays hurt in the postseason, but QBs with no line do it more, if they can still do it all, and Manning's not coming back at 39 to run for his life s'more when he knows better than anyone he CAN'T. The thing I kept noticing when he was falling on grenades during post-loss press conferences this year was that he wasn't the upbeat guy living for the game he loves anymore. It wasn't just being down about the loss either: Football had stopped being fun and become an ordeal he endured year after year chasing a second championship that's never there no matter how well he plays.

Meanwhile, I've been in Norway about a year longer than he's been in Denver, and as I skid around on the ice this time of year, I really miss TX sparing me that. And I haven't had 4 spinal surgeries. There's just too many growing reasons for Manning to hang it up, not least that it'll never happen with this coaching staff, and he doesn't have a couple seasons for the team to gel with a new coach.

Northman
01-12-2015, 05:17 AM
He was still off on his accuracy before the injury. Age has simply caught up with him and he puts up more ducks than zipped passes out there.

OrangeFanatic
01-12-2015, 07:17 AM
If by playing hurt you mean always sucking and choking in the post season, then yes he was playing hurt...BADLY.

tomjonesrocks
01-12-2015, 07:52 AM
He was still tearing teams up early in the year. There was talk this might be one of the best teams of all time in the media (lol) Crazy at one time "it was too ******* easy".

Did he just "wake up done" somewhere around the STL game?

I guess if Manning retires we will have our answer. If there was an injury, now that the season is destroyed I hope more is revealed about it.

Tned
01-12-2015, 08:03 AM
He was still tearing teams up early in the year. There was talk this might be one of the best teams of all time in the media (lol)

Did he just "wake up done" somewhere around the STL game?

I guess if Manning retires we will have our answer. If there was an injury, now that the season is destroyed I hope more is revealed about it.

Exactly, I don't think he just was on one morning, and the next morning woke up over the hill and was done.

In my mind, it's one of two things.

1. He got hurt worse than we realized early-mid season, and just couldn't get over the nagging injuries.
2. The team just spent so much time trying to "prove" they were a running team, which at times meant 6 or even 7 linemen, that they lost all rhythm in the passing game. This was complicated by how bad the offensive line was at pass protection most of the year when they didn't have extra linemen or TE's in the pass protect.

Regardless of injury, or age catching up, I think the inability to run out of pass formations and failure to pass protect, resulted in a passing game that in no way resembled the previous few years.

Krugan
01-12-2015, 08:19 AM
Im not sure it isnt a combination of every factor that has been discussed on this board this year.

A flawed team with heap of skills position talent, but lacking offensive trench players. A coaching staff who wants to be something, but cant let go of what they are. An aging Qb with no wheels, but great foot work in a pocket he doesnt always have.

A long stretch of physical games where the team played physical but lost its identity.

Fixes are going to be hard, ugly and tough to stomach.

Sure am thankful for winning seasons and at least enjoying watching something not 4-12!

mouthofsouth
01-12-2015, 09:15 AM
I think there's something to be said for this. Here is a recent piece on Manning's future: http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/pete-prisco/24955597

A couple of things stood out in the piece:
"In the past, Manning would have simply said he was coming back, which is why in my heart I think this could be the end of the Manning era. If it is, it's a bad way to go out.

If it is, we should all be sad.

If it is, too many knuckleheads will sadly rejoice."

"For years, the Manning bashers have been waiting for this day. Through all of his playoff frustrations -- with all the morons who called him nothing more than "Stat Boy" -- they've waited to dig the hole on his career, readying to throw in the body.

For the life of me, I never figured out why. Unlike the greats of a sport who are appreciated, he is one player who always seemed to take the worst of it. Even when he battled back from what appeared to be a career-ending neck injury, something any other player gets lauded for doing, he continued to take verbal and written shots far worse than those he took on the filed."

"Some inside the organization wonder. I talked to some Broncos players who said Manning was throwing more picks in practice in the past six weeks than at any other time. Before the game, some Colts veterans expressed to Broncos players that Manning's arm looked spent.

"You could tell something wasn't right," one Broncos player said of practice the past month. "He just didn't look like 18 out there."

It is very sad, but it is the way most quarterbacks leave the game, especially the great ones who love the game and do not want to quit. It is not a matter of Manning's life being over when he hangs it up. He is still young! The possibilities are endless of what his future could still be in football. We know he will be in Canton five years after he leaves, and in five years' time he could be solid as a head coach, or offensive coordinator, or in broadcasting, etc. etc. It is his choice to make, and I think the Colts love him enough to make him part of their organization. Or Denver, although he will never be loved in Denver like he was with the Colts. They still love him, and the fans would love to have him anchored in the organization.

mouthofsouth
01-12-2015, 09:25 AM
Exactly, I don't think he just was on one morning, and the next morning woke up over the hill and was done.

In my mind, it's one of two things.

1. He got hurt worse than we realized early-mid season, and just couldn't get over the nagging injuries.
2. The team just spent so much time trying to "prove" they were a running team, which at times meant 6 or even 7 linemen, that they lost all rhythm in the passing game. This was complicated by how bad the offensive line was at pass protection most of the year when they didn't have extra linemen or TE's in the pass protect.

Regardless of injury, or age catching up, I think the inability to run out of pass formations and failure to pass protect, resulted in a passing game that in no way resembled the previous few years.

Even I, a woman, can see that the Broncos messed up the rhythm of the offense somewhere around the end of November. When they found their good runner, everything was changed. Also, about Manning being injured. This is just another sign that his career is coming to an end. Aside from that neck injury and missing the year, he was the toughest player in the league. He never got hurt; he never came close to missing games or practices. They can talk about toughness of people like Aaron Rodgers all they want. Rodgers is always hurt, and that means he is more often less efficient than he should be if he were playing healthy. It is same with other players too. They are hurt so much, they are sometimes a detriment to the team. The Manning brothers have been tough. Look at Eli. He dislocated a collar bone and never missed a game, but hardly ever gets hurt at all.