PDA

View Full Version : Peyton Manning noncommital for 2015 after loss to Colts; More locker room reaction

Denver Native (Carol)
01-11-2015, 09:22 PM
some things from article:

PEYTON MANNING:

On whether he will be coming back in 2015, to Dave Logan on 850 KOA:

"That's kind of what I've said all along. But I can't answer every what-if circumstance. What if you're not as healthy? What if certain coaches leave? I can't answer every what-if situation. I think I'll have to take some time to see how I feel, see how I feel physically."

On his numerous, unsuccessful attempts at long passes in the first half:

"Yeah, those were my decisions. A couple of them were called to go that way. A couple of them had some options to go with it. There's some shorter passes with it, and I ended up taking some long shots. Anytime you lose a game, you always look to some incompletions and throws you'd like to have back. I know I had two to Emmanuel where I thought he was open, and I thought I could have hit him, and just overthrew him by a little bit. So those two in particular you'd like to have back that were potential touchdown plays. Some other ones, I probably should have gone to a shorter throw."

More from Peyton, plus comments Coach Fox, and some other players
http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_27300973/what-they-said-broncos-react-after-stunning-home

OrangeFanatic
01-11-2015, 09:24 PM
Hopefully the choker retires. Stop ruining playoff runs...

chazoe60
01-11-2015, 09:26 PM

We get it, now ****.

Dzone
01-11-2015, 09:26 PM
Time for Manning to hang it up. If he hangs on, He is only going to get worse

Northman
01-11-2015, 09:33 PM
Rather see him call it a day. He made a good run.

sneakers
01-11-2015, 09:39 PM
So long, and thanks for all the fish

tomjonesrocks
01-11-2015, 09:43 PM
Yeah, it's over. What a waste.

Rahim Moore I hate you.

TimHippo
01-11-2015, 10:15 PM
His arm strength and velocity are gone. His range is 5-10 yards now. Sad to see.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-11-2015, 10:26 PM
Peyton Manning On 'Where His Mindset Is With Next Year'

video - http://denver.cbslocal.com/video/11024504-peyton-manning-talks-after-broncos-colts-game/

I Eat Staples
Ultimately the Manning era will end with disappointment, but it was fun while it lasted. Thanks for the memories, Peyton. I'm still glad we got to watch him as a Bronco.

I'd much rather see him retire than come back and be like a Martin Brodeur. I only wish he could have gone out as a champion.

Denver Native (Carol)
His arm strength and velocity are gone. His range is 5-10 yards now. Sad to see.

Mark Haas @markhaastv · 16m

ESPN stat says Manning had 8 overthrows. So for as awful as he was, it wasn't for a lack of arm strength. Just no accuracy today.

Tebowtime2011
01-11-2015, 10:28 PM

We get it, now ****.I thought I was the only one annoyed by this guy.

TimHippo
01-11-2015, 10:44 PM

ESPN stat says Manning had 8 overthrows. So for as awful as he was, it wasn't for a lack of arm strength. Just no accuracy today.

I disagree. Part of arm strength is accuracy and velocity. Overthrowing can be a sign of lack of arm strength because you are straining to throw the ball farther than your arm is comfortable.

It seemed to me that the Colts weren't even worried about the long ball against Manning.

GEM
01-11-2015, 10:47 PM

We wouldn't have had the playoff runs without him. Ffs... get a damn grip. Whining is so ridiculously silly.

NightTerror218
01-11-2015, 11:53 PM
I think he should retire. Would be horrible to play like this next season and get benched in middle for Oz. QB play for 6 weeks has been bad. His long ball accuracy is horrible in that stretch and his audible adjustments too.

BroncoJoe
01-12-2015, 08:59 AM
I wasn't overly thrilled when we signed him - for no reason other than it would be the Peyton Manning Broncos, not the Denver Broncos. Yes, you could say that about Elway and his playing days, but Elway was, and remains "the Broncos".

That said, I fully embraced him as a Broncos player and am extremely happy with the results of the last three years. At this point, I think he needs to look long and hard about retiring. His accuracy was off, can't seem to get the deep ball right and really has zero mobility. Said it before too - I think he over-thinks pre-snap instead of "just playing".

Should he retire, clearly we'd need to bring in a vet for competition, but be real people: The job is OZ's and we will ride with him for at least a year, and I'm personally excited to see what he's got. This isn't a bad team - we have a lot of pieces in place to still be very competitive with or without Peyton.

TXBRONC
01-12-2015, 09:05 AM
I wasn't overly thrilled when we signed him - for no reason other than it would be the Peyton Manning Broncos, not the Denver Broncos. Yes, you could say that about Elway and his playing days, but Elway was, and remains "the Broncos".

That said, I fully embraced him as a Broncos player and am extremely happy with the results of the last three years. At this point, I think he needs to look long and hard about retiring. His accuracy was off, can't seem to get the deep ball right and really has zero mobility. Said it before too - I think he over-thinks pre-snap instead of "just playing".

Should he retire, clearly we'd need to bring in a vet for competition, but be real people: The job is OZ's and we will ride with him for at least a year, and I'm personally excited to see what he's got. This isn't a bad team - we have a lot of pieces in place to still be very competitive with or without Peyton.

Well said Joe and spot on. :salute:

Northman
01-12-2015, 09:07 AM

Could not of said better myself. Agree with this 100% especially the last line. While its is difficult to find that true HOF QB its also not the end of the world. I dont see guys like Flacco or Wilson maknig the HOF but you can still win SB"s with adequate QB's so as long as the other areas of the team is up to snuff.

TXBRONC
01-12-2015, 09:12 AM
Could not of said better myself. Agree with this 100% especially the last line. While its is difficult to find that true HOF QB its also not the end of the world. I dont see guys like Flacco or Wilson maknig the HOF but you can still win SB"s with adequate QB's so as long as the other areas of the team is up to snuff.

Flacco is a franchise quarterback but he's not elite. I'm not convinced Wilson is a franchise quarterback I think he's riding the coattails of one of the best defenses in the League.

Dreadnought
01-12-2015, 09:26 AM

Excellent. Exactly where I am at, too

tripp
01-12-2015, 10:23 AM
Ok... Let's root for him to retire so we can go back to mediocrity!

Some of you guys are spoiled. Rather have this disappointment then be the Raiders.

BroncoJoe
01-12-2015, 10:28 AM

Some of you guys are spoiled. Rather have this disappointment then be the Raiders.

Well, other than some ridiculous posts in here, I think most of us can see the deterioration of Manning's abilities. I also think we have a good enough team to compensate for "less" at the QB position.

I found myself on a few occasions yesterday wondering how Brock would have done at certain points of the game. Especially the scrambling and deep throws.

Northman
01-12-2015, 10:32 AM

Do you really think Elway would let this team fall to Raider level? Really?

I find it funny that you think that somehow only having Mannnig will guarantee success, have you not been paying attention to the last couple of SB winners? Talk about not having any faith.

pnbronco
01-12-2015, 10:35 AM

I heard this on the radio on Friday and for me it made so much sense. There is a Dr. that Adam Schefter talks to about player injuries. He asked him about Rogers calf, the guy that got carted off the field. This Dr. use to be a team Dr. so he understands about injuries, esp to QB. The Dr. said Rogers looked good, but the one that really concerned him was Mannings thigh injury, it was not healed. The Dr. was not asked, he just said it. That he had looked at film on Manning and could see that it wasn't right.

The injury happened in the SD game. If you think about the timing he hasn't looked right since then. They have not really brought it up because you don't give your opponents a target. The injury is on the leg that he plants, I would think that would affect his timing.

We have a real running back now. The O line needs work but that'a a off season issue to deal with. I know that everyone is hurting right now, but I remembered what happened after Elway left. We still had a lot of core players but playoffs, please it was like when would we win our first game that season. So I want Peyton to take his time and make sure he is ready to hang them up and not make a knee jerk choice. As a fan I want to relax and be grateful for what we have because I do remember those horrible loses to SD and the Raiders with a sub par QB.

Northman
01-12-2015, 10:40 AM
I have all the confidence that Elway will do what is best for the team whatever that may be.

tripp
01-12-2015, 10:50 AM
Well, other than some ridiculous posts in here, I think most of us can see the deterioration of Manning's abilities. I also think we have a good enough team to compensate for "less" at the QB position.

I found myself on a few occasions yesterday wondering how Brock would have done at certain points of the game. Especially the scrambling and deep throws.

Grass is always greener on the other side. I don't expect or want Peyton to throw it down the field for 30+ yard gains, I want him to make smart throws that we all know he can make. The only time I questioned him was his down the field throws to Sanders and DT. They were off, big time. You have a team built for the SB, you can rely on other players.

So would you rather Brock in at QB and see how we fair next season? Apart of me wants to see that happen because I'm interested in what he can do with a full season, but I know we can be right back again next year with Peyton.

Do you really think Elway would let this team fall to Raider level? Really?

I find it funny that you think that somehow only having Mannnig will guarantee success, have you not been paying attention to the last couple of SB winners? Talk about not having any faith.

No... I think Manning is the best OPTION to give us success. I think Manning is a better QB than Brock. Is that wrong of me to think? I don't have faith in Brock because he hasn't proven anything to me. I stated in another thread, so long as we have Elway, we will always have a fighting chance. So yes, I have all the faith in the world in Elway, along with Peyton too. Better decisions need to be made by him, that's all.

BroncoJoe
01-12-2015, 10:55 AM
Grass is always greener on the other side. I don't expect or want Peyton to throw it down the field for 30+ yard gains, I want him to make smart throws that we all know he can make. The only time I questioned him was his down the field throws to Sanders and DT. They were off, big time. You have a team built for the SB, you can rely on other players.

So would you rather Brock in at QB and see how we fair next season? Apart of me wants to see that happen because I'm interested in what he can do with a full season, but I know we can be right back again next year with Peyton.

No... I think Manning is the best OPTION to give us success. I think Manning is a better QB than Brock. Is that wrong of me to think? I don't have faith in Brock because he hasn't proven anything to me. I stated in another thread, so long as we have Elway, we will always have a fighting chance. So yes, I have all the faith in the world in Elway, along with Peyton too. Better decisions need to be made by him, that's all.

I fully agree with the first part, not necessarily the second. I love Peyton, and what he brought to our beloved Broncos. But it just might be time to move forward (notice I didn't say backward... :) )

Cugel
01-12-2015, 11:03 AM
"Brock Osweiler has just as strong an arm as Joe Montana!" -- Mike Shanahan.

Be careful what you wish for, oh ye Brian Griese enthusiasts! "Let's see what Brock can do."

I can tell you what Brock can do right now. He can be just like almost every other mid to late 2nd round or later QB drafted since Tom Brady. Terrible. Kyle Orton is about the BEST of them.

When Peyton came to town people were saying "if he's only 80% of the QB he was he's still better than most of the QBs in the NFL." That's still true.

If he retires this team will struggle to go 8-8 and no playoffs for probably the next 3 seasons. Hell, probably the next 10 seasons, just like they did under Shanahan. That will get really old, really fast.

What fans refuse to admit is that this team without Peyton and with Brock is the Buffalo Bills. They have a lot of nice pieces in Buffalo. Really great defense, especially the D-line. Solid on both sides of the ball. But, they had Kyle Orton as their starting QB, so they're going nowhere. They're going nowhere next season either.

That will be the Broncos. So, be careful what you wish for!

Cugel
01-12-2015, 11:15 AM
To give people an understanding of how horrible it is to try and find a QB, take a look at the Chicago Bears. They had a total train-wreck of a season and Cutler played his way out of a job. Played a lot of people there out of their jobs. They were 5-11. Their fans are miserable.

Know what that horror show gets you? The #7 pick of the draft, in a draft where there are maybe 2 elite QB prospects. Prospects. And you're not getting either of them Chicago! Good luck to you and get ready for another horrible season with nothing to look forward to but whether maybe if we lose 12 games this time we might actually have a chance for a QB who, if they are lucky and they didn't wind up with a bust like R.G. III or Vince Young or Jamarcus Russell, etc., etc., will then take 2 or 3 years to develop.

So, five years of misery. Then MAYBE a light. No thanks. :coffee:

BTW: The Jets actually went 4-12. They pick 6th. Is there any hope for them to get a QB? Probably not.

tripp
01-12-2015, 11:18 AM
To give people an understanding of how horrible it is to try and find a QB, take a look at the Chicago Bears. They had a total train-wreck of a season and Cutler played his way out of a job. Played a lot of people there out of their jobs. They were 5-11. Their fans are miserable.

Know what that horror show gets you? The #7 pick of the draft, in a draft where there are maybe 2 elite QB prospects. Prospects. And you're not getting either of them Chicago! Good luck to you and get ready for another horrible season with nothing to look forward to but whether maybe if we lose 12 games this time we might actually have a chance for a QB who, if they are lucky and they didn't wind up with a bust like R.G. III or Vince Young or Jamarcus Russell, etc., etc., will then take 2 or 3 years to develop.

So, five years of misery. Then MAYBE a light. No thanks. :coffee:

Grass is always greener on the other side for some people.

Simple Jaded
01-13-2015, 12:53 AM
Careful what you wish for, I wanna see Os play too but not at the exclusion of Manning. If Manning can play at the same level he played this year I think it's a no-brainer.

CrazyHorse
01-13-2015, 01:18 AM

Peyton Manning this year wasn't an "Adequate Quarterback"?

Nobody thinks he could be Eli Manning or Flacco "adequate" next year?

CrazyHorse
01-13-2015, 01:20 AM
Careful what you wish for, I wanna see Os play too but not at the exclusion of Manning. If Manning can play at the same level he played this year I think it's a no-brainer.

Heck even if it's a drop off. Nearly 40 TD's over 4,500 yards and a 12-4 record. If he can recover from the thigh injury I think he could be you know, well, "adequate"

CrazyHorse
01-13-2015, 01:21 AM
This is the same shit that happened with Favre and the Jets. He sucked because he was hurt then had another good season with the Vikings. A QB's best friend is a strong running game. If we could build that around someone like CJ I still think we could ride a similar formula we did in 97/98. They say history repeats itself.

Cugel
01-13-2015, 01:27 AM
Flacco is a franchise quarterback but he not elite. I'm not convinced Wilson is a franchise quarterback I think he's riding the coattails of one of the best defenses in the League.

Flacco is inconsistent, but he's been the opposite of Peyton Manning. He's been mediocre and downright bad at times during the regular season, but come playoff time he's been extraordinary. Same thing has been true of Eli Manning who had a truly horrible year, but 2 SB rings and outplayed Tom Brady in the SB.

That makes Flacco elite.

CrazyHorse
01-13-2015, 01:29 AM
Flacco is inconsistent, but he's been the opposite of Peyton Manning. He's been mediocre and downright bad at times during the regular season, but come playoff time he's been extraordinary. Same thing has been true of Eli Manning who had a truly horrible year, but 2 SB rings and outplayed Tom Brady in the SB.

That makes Flacco elite.

Flacco elite? :rofl: He's also pretty lucky too. He can thank Rahim Moore and a cluster**** of officiating for that Super Bowl ring.

underrated29
01-13-2015, 01:30 AM
I still don't understand why people think it's oeyton or that he is done. I have tried for the life of me to see "their" side of things and none of it adds up. Ive tried to see it, I really have. To see what I am missing but I just can't. Here is what I see.

Peyton doesn't have great arm anymore.
His passes sail a bit too long.
He misses on the deep throws more often
Throws picks in bad weather
Could go short and audibles deep.

Now, I also see

He has been injured
The OLine has been re-worked and blown up garbage all year
Peyton throws off back foot this year....has he ever done that?
Peyton runs about 80% of the plays called the way they are
How many bubble screens, passes short of the sticks, quick outs and picks can we call, is that peytons fault?
How many passes like DT can our guys drop but we seem to lame on him.
What exactly did I see him do to make me think he isn't still one of the best? - he took an all pro offense and led them to 13 points....but, we saw that in the Super Bowl too. We saw the same plays in the Super Bowl too. Over and over. Is it him o the coaches who can't get this all pro offense to work? Last year it did, suddenly this year Peyton can't play? His body forgot?

To me one side of the issue is overwhelmingly outweighing the other. It's not even close. I just don't get the Peyton is done thing. I really don't. I don't know what else I am missing and they are seeing? Especially when you look at both sides of the fence as I havejust pointed out. I don't get it

CrazyHorse
01-13-2015, 01:38 AM
I still don't understand why people think it's oeyton or that he is done. I have tried for the life of me to see "their" side of things and none of it adds up. Ive tried to see it, I really have. To see what I am missing but I just can't. Here is what I see.

Peyton doesn't have great arm anymore.
His passes sail a bit too long.
He misses on the deep throws more often
Throws picks in bad weather
Could go short and audibles deep.

Now, I also see

He has been injured
The OLine has been re-worked and blown up garbage all year
Peyton throws off back foot this year....has he ever done that?
Peyton runs about 80% of the plays called the way they are
How many bubble screens, passes short of the sticks, quick outs and picks can we call, is that peytons fault?
How many passes like DT can our guys drop but we seem to lame on him.
What exactly did I see him do to make me think he isn't still one of the best? - he took an all pro offense and led them to 13 points....but, we saw that in the Super Bowl too. We saw the same plays in the Super Bowl too. Over and over. Is it him o the coaches who can't get this all pro offense to work? Last year it did, suddenly this year Peyton can't play? His body forgot?

To me one side of the issue is overwhelmingly outweighing the other. It's not even close. I just don't get the Peyton is done thing. I really don't. I don't know what else I am missing and they are seeing? Especially when you look at both sides of the fence as I havejust pointed out. I don't get it

I agree 100%. The only way I could consider him done is that he can't mentally and physically make it through a full season. It becomes exhausting. Favre felt the same way and just wanted to play and bypass training camp. Manning puts too much time into prep to ever do that. I attribute his poor play near the end of the season due to injury. Common sense is that injured thighs don't allow him to put his body into his deep passes causing inconsistent accuracy. He arguably still gives us the best chance to win. I'd take making the playoffs every year than banking on finding a decent QB and hoping just to make the playoffs like we did with Shanahan after Elway retired. The only upside is that if Manning leaves fan expectation drops and there isn't as much pressure on the team to win.

Cugel
01-13-2015, 01:55 AM
Flacco elite? :rofl: He's also pretty lucky too. He can thank Rahim Moore and a cluster**** of officiating for that Super Bowl ring.

I was really thinking more of this season's playoffs against the Bengals and Patriots. He looked very good to me in that Patriots game. It wasn't him who gave up a 2 TD lead twice in that game the Ravens should have won.

Cugel
01-13-2015, 01:59 AM

Some fans are just lashing out emotionally, because Peyton had a bad game. I just had an argument with a friend who insists "Peyton is just a choker!" Yet he has a Super Bowl ring. Was John Elway a "choker" because he lost 3 out of 5? Peyton lost 2 out of 3.

It's like a bad divorce when the husband looks at the 40 year old wife and sees only the cellulite and can't wait to start dating again and imagines all the hot women he's going to find . . . . until reality sets in that the pickings are slim! The old wife starts looking pretty good. even with all her flaws, after he's been out on the shelf for a while.

Simple Jaded
01-13-2015, 02:03 AM
I agree 100%. The only way I could consider him done is that he can't mentally and physically make it through a full season. It becomes exhausting. Favre felt the same way and just wanted to play and bypass training camp. Manning puts too much time into prep to ever do that. I attribute his poor play near the end of the season due to injury. Common sense is that injured thighs don't allow him to put his body into his deep passes causing inconsistent accuracy. He arguably still gives us the best chance to win. I'd take making the playoffs every year than banking on finding a decent QB and hoping just to make the playoffs like we did with Shanahan after Elway retired. The only upside is that if Manning leaves fan expectation drops and there isn't as much pressure on the team to win.

I think the expectations drop next season regardless, maybe they can get it done playing the underdog.

CrazyHorse
01-13-2015, 02:18 AM
I think the expectations drop next season regardless, maybe they can get it done playing the underdog.

We should relish that role. If anything it's extra motivation. We've been favored to win it all the last 3 years with nothing to show for it.

Poet
01-13-2015, 04:31 AM
If he can play an entire year -read the injury or injuries that slowed him down aren't permanent and were just as likely to happen to him 9 years ago as they were the day that they happened - you obviously keep him. SuperBowl runs are not things that come easily. The Colts couldn't logically expect to be having one right now. The Cowboys and the Ravens are feeling like shit because they just missed having a real shot at the SB.

But, if he can't go, or doesn't want to, or Elway determines that he is in fact playable but it's not the best interest, you'll be alright. You have young talent on defense with Miller, that young DT whose name I can't recall because it's late, and Harris. You have some nice linebackers as well. Defense is a great place to be young and talented at. You'll obviously keep D.T. and have options with other guys like J.T. and Sanders. The Denver backfield looks pretty decent as well.

Old contracts will go off the books, cuts can be made, and all of that. The team is positioned to succeed post-Manning. Whether it will immediately after is yet to be seen, but Elway has done a nice job of positioning.

Manning is my favorite non-Bengal football player, even ahead of DeMarcus Ware, who I think is just a great human being. Ironically they're both Broncos now. I don't want to see him come back and humiliate himself. If he does come back I think that he won't, but his standards are so high it's almost impossible to think that he won't come up short as a player. He is the GOAT in my eyes.

Slick
01-14-2015, 11:43 AM
I simply can't believe that any of you think Denver wins a trophy with Manning at the helm next season. The leader of the team that hangs his head and pouts when his line doesn't give him perfect protection or when the DBs disrupt his timing with the receivers.

I don't care to see that again.

You guys act like the team is absolute garbage without Peyton taking snaps. This is a good football team.

Bronco9798
01-14-2015, 11:47 AM
I simply can't believe that any of you think Denver wins a trophy with Manning at the helm next season. The leader of the team that hangs his head and pouts when his line doesn't give him perfect protection or when the DBs disrupt his timing with the receivers.

You guys act like the team is absolute garbage without Peyton taking snaps. This is a good football team.

It all goes back to the same thing. Manning gives you the best option to win next year. He has just has to rely on the people around him more and he needs to do less, not a lot, just a little. Elway's not going to give up on Manning until manning says, "I'm done". And Elway isn't going to run Manning out of town. They're in a class together and both are striving for the same thing. That is all it boils down too.

underrated29
01-14-2015, 11:55 AM

I promise you Slick, if we fix the Oline- even just to the level of last year- and get an OC who knows more then 5 plays (im fairly confident in that) we will be right back to where we were. Manning will be tossing TDs after Tds. Our offense is too loaded to only put up 13 points and I fully blame the OC not manning for this. And you my friend will have forgotten about this post altogether. Watch and see good sir. Watch and see.

Slick
01-14-2015, 12:44 PM
It all goes back to the same thing. Manning gives you the best option to win next year. He has just has to rely on the people around him more and he needs to do less, not a lot, just a little. Elway's not going to give up on Manning until manning says, "I'm done". And Elway isn't going to run Manning out of town. They're in a class together and both are striving for the same thing. That is all it boils down too.

I know John's not going to cut Manning, neither would I. I just wouldn't be swinging from his nuts, hoping he comes back. His pouting and aw shucks moping on the sidelines drives me nuts. That and his complete lack of mobility. I know whoever is behind center next year, if it isn't Manning, won't be nearly as good. I'm ready to accept that.

I promise you Slick, if we fix the Oline- even just to the level of last year- and get an OC who knows more then 5 plays (im fairly confident in that) we will be right back to where we were. Manning will be tossing TDs after Tds. Our offense is too loaded to only put up 13 points and I fully blame the OC not manning for this. And you my friend will have forgotten about this post altogether. Watch and see good sir. Watch and see.

We'll see. I seriously doubt it.

Bronco9798
01-14-2015, 12:47 PM
I know John's not going to cut Manning, neither would I. I just wouldn't be swinging from his nuts, hoping he comes back. His pouting and aw shucks moping on the sidelines drives me nuts. That and his complete lack of mobility. I know whoever is behind center next year, if it isn't Manning, won't be nearly as good. I'm ready to accept that.

We'll see. I seriously doubt it.

He has no other nuts to swing on at this point! :D

Dreadnought
01-14-2015, 03:14 PM

Now that we know the extent of Manning's leg injuries I actually think we would have been less effective and scored fewer points in the second half of the season had Fox and/or Gase not retooled the offense. The ineffectiveness of our offense in the 2nd half of 2014 is on Manning, first, last, and utterly. He may have had a valid reason in his injuries, but its silly to try and pretend the problems were somebody else's fault.

silkamilkamonico
01-14-2015, 03:33 PM
Now that we know the extent of Manning's leg injuries I actually think we would have been less effective and scored fewer points in the second half of the season had Fox and/or Gase not retooled the offense. The ineffectiveness of our offense in the 2nd half of 2014 is on Manning, first, last, and utterly. He may have had a valid reason in his injuries, but its silly to try and pretend the problems were somebody else's fault.

I don't see how you place it all on Manning - the coaches only had, what, 6 weeks to see he wasn't the same QB, and they couldn't figure out how to put him, and the offense, in a better position to be successful? That's a coaches job, to put players in a position to be successful. Despite how bad Manning was, they failed to do that signifncantly. That's on them.

Dreadnought
01-14-2015, 03:57 PM
I don't see how you place it all on Manning - the coaches only had, what, 6 weeks to see he wasn't the same QB, and they couldn't figure out how to put him, and the offense, in a better position to be successful? That's a coaches job, to put players in a position to be successful. Despite how bad Manning was, they failed to do that signifncantly. That's on them.

Nonsense. That's exactly why we went so run heavy. Also, if a QB cannot hit a receiver, and cannot avoid a rush at all, and appeaers disoriented and confused at times its not on the coaching staff, the O-line, or anyone else. C.J. Anderson led the League in rushing the last six weeks of the season precisely because the staff could see that Manning could not throw effectively. Not only that, there was no Majikal Mojo that Fox, Gase, Elway, Shanahan, or the ghost of Frank Tripucka could have used to all of a sudden make Manning's throws powerful and accurate. So they made do. Its all anyone could have done.

BroncoJoe
01-15-2015, 09:36 AM
Heard this on the radio yesterday, and makes me believe Manning will indeed come back for one more season:

Brett Favre career passing yards: 71,838
Peyton Manning career passing yards: 69,691

Manning only needs 2,148 yards to be the all time leading passer.

pulse
01-15-2015, 09:50 AM
Heard this on the radio yesterday, and makes me believe Manning will indeed come back for one more season:

Brett Favre career passing yards: 71,838
Peyton Manning career passing yards: 69,691

Manning only needs 2,148 yards to be the all time leading passer.

I don't think that's enough. It's pretty clear that even if he breaks it and plays another year or two, he won't hold that record very long. The TD passing record may stand for a decade. But Drew Brees will probably catch and pass Manning in career passing yardage before he retires. I think even Peyton knows that. The only reason Peyton will return is if he thinks he still has a shot at a championship. If he doesn't have that or doesn't feel like his abilities are able to help a team get a championship, I don't think he'll return.

BroncoJoe
01-15-2015, 09:58 AM
I don't think that's enough. It's pretty clear that even if he breaks it and plays another year or two, he won't hold that record very long. The TD passing record may stand for a decade. But Drew Brees will probably catch and pass Manning in career passing yardage before he retires. I think even Peyton knows that. The only reason Peyton will return is if he thinks he still has a shot at a championship. If he doesn't have that or doesn't feel like his abilities are able to help a team get a championship, I don't think he'll return.

Can't either agree or disagree. Brees is 13,000 yards behind and 36 years old. Next is Brady and he's 16,000 behind and 37 years old.

underrated29
01-15-2015, 10:43 AM

Dread, I respect your opinion but also think you are way too smart to be this short sighted.

I have still challenged anyone and everyone on this board to point out as many passing plays as they can towards the inside of the field, any in routes, quick slants, seem, posts, anything. I maintain that I can triple that amount of plays to the outside or down the sideline. Even people who disagree with me about Gase still have not wanted to engage. There is a reason for this and it's not because people are lazy. I've ran my mouth off on this for so long hoping someone would bite. We know why no one has.

Now, we can more than easily deduce why our offense does not work when 90% of our plays are predictable or to the outside. No team has clogged the middle, people just say that without looking at the game film, we just never throw to the middle. Ever! The one time we did recently, was the bengals game.

Furthermore we have the testament from the opposing teams defenses! They have said they knew what was coming. They know what plays we like to call and when we like to call them. I've picked up on Gases pattern. He runs on first down. He will call a bubble screen on 2nd and 6-8 or 3rd and 7-9. Almost everytime. If we ever 3 and out a bubble screen will be in the next possession. (We always run the bubble screen when we have a bunch. We almost never call play action out of running formations.) we literally dictate to the defense what we are going to do. Of course, calling a 6 yard route on 4th and 8 is also part of the gase genius, but many blame maning for the play call.

Injured manning threw the ball fine against the bengals and the raiders. Not saying manning was perfect but when our playbook consists of 5 plays run over and over again, the opposing defense saying they know what plays we like to run- over and over again, and never calling anything to middle and honestly thinking that the first 6 tries for the bubble screen didn't work that the 7th, 8th or 9th will work.....I mean how can the defense not easily shut us down? How can we lay all of the blame on manning? He only runs the plays gase calls. Only 20% of the time does he audible. What's funny is when we go to hurry up- and gase doesn't call plays- we march down field and score....see Seahawks game, see before half in bengals game.

Manning is not perfect and he missed some wide open guys in the playoffs and games before playoffs. He did. He's not very mobile and worse with the injury and he's throwing off his Blackfoot more then I've ever seen. He shoulders plenty of blame. It pales in relation to the position gase has out he and the offense in tho.

Just take away everything- gase, play call,etc....and look at our O.

DT
Sanders
JT
Cj
Welker

Do you think tebow could gain 10 yards with those guys? Kyle Orton, Brock oz? Do you think bill belichek could gain 10 yards with that offense with any qb you could name? I'm sure he could. He'd have a 3 and out too. Do you think he would have two or three in a row? I doubt it, even with Johnny football as his qb. Now do you think belicheck would have all those 3 and outs with HOF manning at the helm? I don't buy it. Not for one second. Not one measly second.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-15-2015, 05:48 PM
Denver Broncos defensive end DeMarcus Ware doesn't know who his head coach or defensive coordinator will be in 2015, but he's confident about who will be playing quarterback for his team: Peyton Manning.

Ware said he's spoken to Manning since the Broncos' divisional round loss to the Indianapolis Colts and is confident the five-time NFL MVP will choose to play in 2015. Manning was noncommittal about his future following Sunday's loss.

"Me and Peyton will always talk back and forth about things. Now he's just looking forward to the next season and how we can get better," Ware told USA TODAY Sports on Thursday. "I think he'll be back. I feel like he still has a couple years in him."

rest - http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2015/01/15/demarcus-ware-peyton-manning-conversation-return-denver/21825297/

Denver Native (Carol)
01-16-2015, 03:11 PM
The article is basically the same as I posted yesterday, when Ware spoke with Lindsay Jones. However, the video on this link is interesting - Phil Simms, Bryant Gumbel, Boomer Esiason, and Chicago's Brandon Marshall, discussing Peyton

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000459515/article/demarcus-ware-i-think-peyton-manning-will-be-back

Timmy!
01-16-2015, 03:18 PM
I'm still not betting against Peyton playing out his contract.

Krugan
01-16-2015, 03:25 PM
Brandon Marshall is wishy washy

FanInAZ
01-16-2015, 05:36 PM
I just want a decision, one way or the other, before the start of FA so we don't get "Favred." Then again, I believe Elway has more backbone then the Packers had back then, so I don't think he'll that that circus happen here. Elway gave the Broncos enough advanced notice of his retirement so they could plan for the next season appropriately, & I assume he'll demand the same professionalize from Manning.

Joel
01-16-2015, 07:37 PM
I just want a decision, one way or the other, before the start of FA so we don't get "Favred." Then again, I believe Elway has more backbone then the Packers had back then, so I don't think he'll that that circus happen here. Elway gave the Broncos enough advanced notice of his retirement so they could plan for the next season appropriately, & I assume he'll demand the same professionalize from Manning.

Elway has a lot more leverage than GBs FO did then, and Manning has far less than Favre did. There are already plenty of people rushing to revive the "postseason choker" narrative that's dogged Manning his whole career, but remember where GB Favres first and final seasons there: "Title Town" may have won the first two SBs, but had barely sniffed the playoffs in 25 seasons since. And this is a place where parents but their newborns on the season ticket waiting list because the only way to get them is to wait for someone to DIE. I'm the son of a Day One Cowboys fan, but almost felt SORRY for GB in the '80s.

Favre brought them in out of the cold, took them to the promised land and kept them in contention the whole time he was there, so he thought he could write his own ticket, and was very nearly right. Denver's hasn't sucked for three solid decades since last being respected and feared, and Elway making it that way gives him a status there far greater than Favre before turning on GB. Also, Manning's not a career-franchise player like Elway and Favre were: Everyone knows he'll be gone soon, after just three seasons, in which all but the globally broadcast SB embarrassment lacked even ONE playoff win.

I'm not saying Manning won't try what Favre did (though I doubt it, especially since Favres machinations were as much money as anything) but IF he does I have little doubt Elway will promptly decide for him.

Lancane
01-16-2015, 09:10 PM
One thing we are forgetting is that Manning will need to heal and be cleared by Denver's Medical Staff to move forward. So the extent of his injuries, even if he has the mindset to return can play a huge role in the next step for him and the team.

Simple Jaded
01-17-2015, 04:18 AM
Manning and Favre earned the right to take their sweetass time making this decision.

Joel
01-17-2015, 06:46 AM
Manning and Favre earned the right to take their sweetass time making this decision.
Favre more than Manning though; he took a once proud organization from decades of feebleness back to greatness, inspiring the kind of fanatical loyalty a decade and half of that creates. The kind of loyalty Elway created over a similar span carrying Denver to three SBs before bringing home its only NFL Championships. He's the reason Denver hasn't suffered as long as the pre-Favre Packers, and Manning's only been in Denver three seasons where we're still waiting for the next championship, so if Elway wants to put him on the spot (which he clearly doesn't) no one will say boo.

BroncoJoe
01-17-2015, 10:00 AM

Because of his contract, Manning and/or the Broncos have to make a decision before the end of the league year. Free agency starts the first minute of the new year.

Ravage!!!
01-17-2015, 01:16 PM
Favre more than Manning though; he took a once proud organization from decades of feebleness back to greatness, inspiring the kind of fanatical loyalty a decade and half of that creates. The kind of loyalty Elway created over a similar span carrying Denver to three SBs before bringing home its only NFL Championships. He's the reason Denver hasn't suffered as long as the pre-Favre Packers, and Manning's only been in Denver three seasons where we're still waiting for the next championship, so if Elway wants to put him on the spot (which he clearly doesn't) no one will say boo.

I would say that Manning was just as beloved in Indy as Favre was in Green Bay. But if Elway wants Manning to stay, he won't put more pressure on him than he knew what was expected from when John was in the same position after our first SB win or after taht '96 loss to the Jags.

Joel
01-17-2015, 05:24 PM
I would say that Manning was just as beloved in Indy as Favre was in Green Bay.
Prob'ly, but he doesn't have that kind of following in Denver, because he hasn't spent a decade bringing a multi-decade derelict back to the glory it savored 40 years ago. Five years ago, Manning was the guy Broncos fans loved to hate; the one who shelled us out of the playoffs by 30 pts so many times Shanny traded Portis for Champ AND spent his top three picks on CBs.

But if Elway wants Manning to stay, he won't put more pressure on him than he knew what was expected from when John was in the same position after our first SB win or after taht '96 loss to the Jags.
That's the other thing: In terms of contributions to the team and resulting fan loyalty, Elway's our Favre (and more,) and Manning's ultimately just a briefly hired gun. If he retires without a second Ring, how many Broncos fans will be gushing over him in ten or even five years the way they do Elway, or Packers fans did Favre before he screwed them? Not many; he's earned it, but not from DENVER.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-17-2015, 08:36 PM
ENGLEWOOD, Colo. -- On a personal level, the Denver Broncos are well aware of what Peyton Manning has done in what will be a Hall of Fame career -- he’s won 38 regular-season games in three seasons, set records, and pushed the Broncos back among the NFL’s elite.

So they want to give him plenty of personal space, and time, to make a decision about the 2015 season.

But on the business side, they also know there is a timetable. It involves Manning’s contract and the need, from a cash and salary-cap perspective, to have a decision before the new league year begins March 10.

Free agency opens March 10, and all teams must be under the salary cap on that date with their top 51 contracts.

"The start of the new league year with his contract, there are some stipulations in there that we have to be aware of," Broncos executive vice president of football operations/general manager John Elway said this week. "So we’ll have to have discussions with Peyton before we get there."

Manning was signed to a five-year, $96 million deal in 2012 that has been tweaked since he signed it. The issue for the Broncos for the '15 season is that Manning’s base salary of $19 million is guaranteed if he is on the roster when the current league year ends March 9. If he returns to play in 2015, his cap charge is scheduled to be $21.5 million -- his base salary and a pro-rated charge for bonuses.

If Manning was to retire or get released by the Broncos before the start of the league year, the Broncos would suffer a $5 million dead-money charge against their salary cap, but they would have $16.5 million in additional cap space.

rest - http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-broncos/post/_/id/11518/the-business-side-of-peyton-mannings-decision

BroncoJoe
01-18-2015, 11:53 AM
Peyton Manning is still undecided about his future.

The Broncos quarterback still has a month before he needs to take his physical, an examination that locks in a $19 million salary for next year, and according to NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport, he could go either way at the moment.

While some, including Mike Klis of The Denver Post, feel like Manning's return is a foregone conclusion, Rapoport notes that Denver's recent activity could be a series of chess moves to clear the deck.

Lost the link, but on the main page of nfl.com

Lancane
01-18-2015, 06:01 PM
I've heard that too Joe. Someone on All Sport Talk Radio or whatever the hell that is on Sirius brought up that if Denver parts with Manning that most of Denver's Free Agents will be re-signed and a couple will be looking at pretty solid long-term contracts, meaning Demaryius Thomas and Terrance Knighton.

BroncoWave
01-18-2015, 07:25 PM
Not to pile onto Manning any more, but seeing a guy like Russel Wilson staying pumped up while getting blown out and having no quit really puts what we've seen from Manning into perspective. Guys like Wilson, Brady, Rivers, Luck, etc always seem firey, pumped up, and engaged even when their team is struggling. Manning seems to mope, sit on the bench alone with his head down, and give up. Reminds me of Cutler to be honest.

I love Manning, I really do, he was a home run signing and gave us a three-year shot at a Super Bowl. But if that's the type of fire he's going to show compared to the other top guys in the league right now, it's probably time for him to hang them up.

Slick
01-18-2015, 07:36 PM
Not to pile onto Manning any more, but seeing a guy like Russel Wilson staying pumped up while getting blown out and having no quit really puts what we've seen from Manning into perspective. Guys like Wilson, Brady, Rivers, Luck, etc always seem firey, pumped up, and engaged even when their team is struggling. Manning seems to mope, sit on the bench alone with his head down, and give up. Reminds me of Cutler to be honest.

I love Manning, I really do, he was a home run signing and gave us a three-year shot at a Super Bowl. But if that's the type of fire he's going to show compared to the other top guys in the league right now, it's probably time for him to hang them up.

I hope the new coach talks with him about that. I'm not mad at Manning for getting old, or trying to play injured and I'm damn glad he signed in Denver.

All that said, the pouting, the head hanging, the famous Manning Face makes my blood boil. He's the leader of the team. The guys look up to him. He's one of the GOATs. That type of behavior should be unacceptable and if he continues to do it he should retire or at the very least take a seat on the bench.

I can't stand seeing that type of body language from Denver's starting QB and I'd bet it bugs the shit out of Elway too.

Fox clapping on the sidelines like a trained seal and Manning over there behind him pouting?

No thanks.

Northman
01-18-2015, 07:37 PM
Has Manning ever had that kind of fiery attitude though? I dont remember him ever having it honestly. I mean, he wins games but i dont ever remember him showing a lot of emotion on the field.

BroncoWave
01-18-2015, 07:40 PM
Has Manning ever had that kind of fiery attitude though? I dont remember him ever having it honestly. I mean, he wins games but i dont ever remember him showing a lot of emotion on the field.

I feel like he did moreso than now. Even earlier in his career in Denver it seemed like he was always huddled with the linemen or receivers on the sidelines making adjustments at the very least. More recently, though, it seems like he just goes straight to the sidelines and sits by himself with his head down.

Slick
01-18-2015, 07:42 PM

You're right, he's never shown much emotion. He doesn't have to be a rah, rah guy but he can't show his team mates he's beaten.

Northman
01-18-2015, 07:47 PM
I feel like he did moreso than now. Even earlier in his career in Denver it seemed like he was always huddled with the linemen or receivers on the sidelines making adjustments at the very least. More recently, though, it seems like he just goes straight to the sidelines and sits by himself with his head down.

You're right, he's never shown much emotion. He doesn't have to be a rah, rah guy but he can't show his team mates he's beaten.

True.

That lack of running for the first down still eats at me. Those are the kinds of things that show your teammates you really want it but it is what it is.

Joel
01-18-2015, 09:02 PM
Gee, wonder what changed (but don't wonder much....)

Think about it: As disappointed as we all our by our awful postseasons despite bringing in a first ballot HoFer at QB and surrounding him with Pro Bowlers, how does HE feel? He knows time's running out, too. After getting blown out of his first SB since '09, how did it feel when the coach told the media he didn't prepare the team for the game? I doubt Manning needed to be TOLD that. He had a very different sideline look last week than the one he wore coming back from 24-0 on the road to beat SD by two-scores two years ago, but then, he didn't know Fox as well then.

As for an immobile QB not running for an "easy" first down on a torn quad: If he could do that, he could've thrown for it. The fact he was out there every week for a month on that leg says a lot of his heart.

Simple Jaded
01-19-2015, 04:19 AM
Let's not forget what a good pass that was to Sanders, Sanders absolutely was the reason that pass didn't convert, he jumped to catch it in his arms and had his feet pushed out of bounds, had he caught it with his hands while keeping his feet down it's a 1st down.

That pass was on the run, just above the eyes and where only Sanders could get it. Great pass.

Northman
01-19-2015, 06:07 AM
As for an immobile QB not running for an "easy" first down on a torn quad: If he could do that, he could've thrown for it. The fact he was out there every week for a month on that leg says a lot of his heart.

Its got nothing to do with heart, it has to do with common sense and keeping the drive alive.

Joel
01-19-2015, 12:16 PM
Its got nothing to do with heart, it has to do with common sense and keeping the drive alive.

[T]he kinds of things that show your teammates you really want it are a question of common sense rather than heart? Peyton Manning's slow-witted now? C'mon, man.

Northman
01-19-2015, 12:30 PM
are a question of common sense rather than heart? Peyton Manning's slow-witted now? C'mon, man.

Is he slow witted? No. Did he make a poor choice in an important game when we really needed to keep the chains moving? Absolutely.

Joel
01-19-2015, 05:16 PM
Is he slow witted? No. Did he make a poor choice in an important game when we really needed to keep the chains moving? Absolutely.
Common sense says, "don't sprint on a torn quad; it's about the season, not just one play, nor drive." But the fact he PLAYED the whole last MONTH on a torn quad ought to have shown his teammates he "wanted it," and wanting it (i.e. the initial complaint) is not a matter of smart decisions. Slowly painfully hunching forward for that conversion in front of God and a national TV audience isn't really a smart decision anyway; even had it worked and helped us win that game, and even if we won @NE yesterday, those cheap shot artists in Seattle would be smelling blood and drooling now.

For what it's worth, I think it was the Arizona game where everyone was covered, the protection finally broke down and Manning squirted out the left side for 10 yds and a conversion called back because one of our studly linemen held away from the play. But he had TWO functioning thighs then.

BroncoWave
01-19-2015, 05:36 PM
Common sense says, "don't sprint on a torn quad; it's about the season, not just one play, nor drive." But the fact he PLAYED the whole last MONTH on a torn quad ought to have shown his teammates he "wanted it," and wanting it (i.e. the initial complaint) is not a matter of smart decisions. Slowly painfully hunching forward for that conversion in front of God and a national TV audience isn't really a smart decision anyway; even had it worked and helped us win that game, and even if we won @NE yesterday, those cheap shot artists in Seattle would be smelling blood and drooling now.

For what it's worth, I think it was the Arizona game where everyone was covered, the protection finally broke down and Manning squirted out the left side for 10 yds and a conversion called back because one of our studly linemen held away from the play. But he had TWO functioning thighs then.

He didn't even HAVE to spring on that play. He literally could have lightly jogged and gotten the first. Hell he probably could have walked.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-29-2015, 02:15 PM
Questions about the future of Peyton Manning continue to circle.

Teammates have remained steadfastly confident the quarterback will return. Tom Brady, Manning's biggest rival throughout his career, joined the chorus in hoping that the Denver Broncos' signal-caller continues his career.

"What a great player he's been for this league," Brady said on Thursday. "He's a great competitor, and I've been fortunate to play against him a bunch of times. I certainly hope he comes back, 'cause the league will miss him if he doesn't. But those decisions are up to him. I'm sure it's up to whether he's mentally and physically -- that's what he wants to do. But I certainly hope he's back."

Manning has yet to address his future publicly, and his father, Archie Manning, told NFL Network's NFL AM on Thursday that the quarterback hasn't let on to his family either.

"Well, Peyton evaluates things; he's pretty good at that," he said. "I can't tell him what to do, and he hasn't told me what he's going to do. But I do know that he's really giving a lot of things a lot of thought. He's thinking about where he is physically, he wants to see how he can do this some more, trying to get over an injury."

rest - plus video - http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000465062/article/tom-brady-on-peyton-i-certainly-hope-he-comes-back

MOtorboat
01-30-2015, 03:50 AM
Manning is, quite literally, the one reason that Denver would have a chance at becoming the third team since 1970 to win 12 games in four seasons in a row. I, for one, hope he's back.