PDA

View Full Version : Inside the Mind of John Elway - SI

Mike
01-09-2015, 11:47 AM
Thought this was a good read.

Excerpt:

As Denver's general manager, Elway is edging ever closer to the one thing that matters. Call it The Drive, Part III. Elway's game-tying, 98-yard march against Cleveland in the 1986 AFC championship game established his rep as a comeback wizard, and a late-career surge to two Super Bowl titles provided the perfect ending to a Hall of Fame playing career. The thrill of assembling a roster should be less cathartic, but not to Elway. "It's part of him being an ex-player: his aggressiveness and will to win," says Broncos defensive tackle Terrance Knighton. "He's about winning now. He's not building a team for five years from now."

Inheriting a 4-12 roster in 2011, Elway gambled on coach John Fox, who was coming off a two-win season at Carolina, and the next year he bet the house on 35-year-old Peyton Manning. Fox's 12-4 Broncos just won a fourth straight AFC West title, one year after Manning quarterbacked a record-shattering offense to the Super Bowl. Never mind that the Seahawks torched Denver 43-8; most GMs would revel in such a run. Elway? He smelled smoke. He saw fire. And given a burning building, Elway-watchers love to say, Big John always fights his way inside. "After the Super Bowl," he says, "I was on that bus the next morning, and all I could think is, How are we going to get better?"

Tho whole thing here:

http://www.si.com/nfl/2015/01/07/john-elway-denver-broncos

Northman
01-09-2015, 11:51 AM
Well, i do think he needs to start thinking about 5 years from now. I really dont think our QB in place will make it that long.

NightTrainLayne
01-09-2015, 11:58 AM
Well, i do think he needs to start thinking about 5 years from now. I really dont think our QB in place will make it that long.

Good grief North.

BroncoJoe
01-09-2015, 12:00 PM
Good grief North.

Hater's gonna hate... :D

Northman
01-09-2015, 12:03 PM
Good grief North.

?

Am i wrong that he should have a long term plan in place after Peyton's done?

BroncoJoe
01-09-2015, 12:13 PM
?

Am i wrong that he should have a long term plan in place after Peyton's done?

Elway has said on multiple occasions he wants to win now, but not at the expense of the future.

Northman
01-09-2015, 12:22 PM
Elway has said on multiple occasions he wants to win now, but not at the expense of the future.

Yea, i know. But you can actually do both in my opinion.

BroncoJoe
01-09-2015, 12:32 PM
I guess I'm confused as to what you're saying then, because Elway is clearly planning for the future, while trying to win now.

Northman
01-09-2015, 12:39 PM
I guess I'm confused as to what you're saying then, because Elway is clearly planning for the future, while trying to win now.

I was only responding to this quote,

"He's about winning now. He's not building a team for five years from now."

I blew it up in case it was too small for your old eyes. :)

NightTrainLayne
01-09-2015, 12:41 PM

I guess you won't be bothered watching this year's team then. Start looking at our draft prospects North. I expect a report by Sunday evening.

Northman
01-09-2015, 12:47 PM
I guess you won't be bothered watching this year's team then. Start looking at our draft prospects North. I expect a report by Sunday evening.

Why would i not watch this year's team? I have no problem with winning now. I was only pointing to that quote which i thought was a little odd.

NightTrainLayne
01-09-2015, 12:48 PM
Why would i not watch this year's team? I have no problem with winning now. I was only pointing to that quote which i thought was a little odd.

A quote from Terrance Knighton exclaiming Elway's desire to win now. .. .while we have Manning.

I don't think he was excluding Elway's desire to win in the future. The whole darn piece is about Elway's drive to win.

BroncoJoe
01-09-2015, 12:51 PM

I think your young, still developing mind completely took that out of context. :)

Northman
01-09-2015, 12:51 PM
A quote from Terrance Knighton exclaiming Elway's desire to win now. .. .while we have Manning.

I don't think he was excluding Elway's desire to win in the future. The whole darn piece is about Elway's drive to win.

Um ok. Sorry i said anything that someone posted on a messageboard. Moving on. lmao

Northman
01-09-2015, 12:52 PM
I think your young, still developing mind completely took that out of context. :)

Perhaps.

NightTrainLayne
01-09-2015, 12:52 PM
Um ok. Sorry i said anything that someone posted on a messageboard. Moving on. lmao

Apology accepted. I still expect that report by Sunday evening. :D

Ravage!!!
01-09-2015, 01:47 PM

Aww.. that was just Terrance Knighton, though. He doesn't know.

Krugan
01-09-2015, 02:01 PM
Can we really claim there arent pieces in place for 5 years from now, including QB?

What have we really seen of Oz to say he is or isnt?

That little end of the half snafu when Manning was sick? How about the last drive against oakland(it was oakland) but it was lead pretty well.

I guess what im saying is, there are pieces here for the now, but I dont see this team selling all its parts and forgetting it may need repairs later.

LawDog
01-09-2015, 04:24 PM
Elway is on record, multiple times, saying his plan is not just to win now, but to win from now on.

end ridiculous discussion/

Ravage!!!
01-09-2015, 04:32 PM
Elway is on record, multiple times, saying his plan is not just to win now, but to win from now on.

end ridiculous discussion/

Yes, and it's aso in the article that he expect the pendulum to swing the other way.

I know that Elway is/will attempt to look for the future of this franchise while trying to win Now. But while saying that, lets be realistic. Elway didn't bring in Manning for the FUTURE of this franchise. If we were to win a Super Bowl this year, don't you think the sacrifice for next five years was worth it? Of course it is. Not only for this franchise, but for every fan out there. We would all love to be perennial contenders, but unless you have that YOUNG Manning on your team, then you won't be. So of course Elway is looking to WIN now....but.... while still trying to draft well. Drafting well is looking towards the future.

LawDog
01-09-2015, 04:47 PM
Yes, and it's aso in the article that he expect the pendulum to swing the other way.

I know that Elway is/will attempt to look for the future of this franchise while trying to win Now. But while saying that, lets be realistic. Elway didn't bring in Manning for the FUTURE of this franchise. If we were to win a Super Bowl this year, don't you think the sacrifice for next five years was worth it? Of course it is. Not only for this franchise, but for every fan out there. We would all love to be perennial contenders, but unless you have that YOUNG Manning on your team, then you won't be. So of course Elway is looking to WIN now....but.... while still trying to draft well. Drafting well is looking towards the future.

I really have no idea what your point is. Elway's goal is to continue to improve this team to put them in a position to compete at a high level, year in and year out. The opportunity to add Peyton was a gift, and one that put Elway way ahead of schedule. Of course he brought in Manning to win now. The long-term benefit of doing that is to create a culture of winning, be professional, knowing how to work, etc. that will permeate the team well after Peyton retires. Elway didn't bet the farm on an aging hall of famer with a few good years left in him just to take a couple of shots at a Lombardi and then sit back on his laurels. It is quite clear from the article that Elway loves to win, he will keep doing whatever it takes to make and maintain the Broncos as a winning franchise as long as he is here - from draft day, to free agency, to coaching staff, to the trainers, to the facilities, shit - he may have a say in the menu offerings at the stadium for all I know. I can absolutely guarantee you that Elway has a plan for quarterback that will be in place and ready to rock when the time comes for Manning to clean out his locker. I just don't get the need to question this at all.

Simple Jaded
01-09-2015, 06:32 PM

Erroneous! Erroneous on all counts. All they need to do is sign 5 All-Pro FA OL and draft 5 first round OL, it doesn't matter who the QB is.

Northman
01-09-2015, 07:09 PM
Erroneous! Erroneous on all counts. All they need to do is sign 5 All-Pro FA OL and draft 5 first round OL, it doesn't matter who the QB is.

Well shit, lets save some money and resign Tebow then. Woot!

Ravage!!!
01-09-2015, 07:29 PM
I really have no idea what your point is. Elway's goal is to continue to improve this team to put them in a position to compete at a high level, year in and year out. The opportunity to add Peyton was a gift, and one that put Elway way ahead of schedule. Of course he brought in Manning to win now. The long-term benefit of doing that is to create a culture of winning, be professional, knowing how to work, etc. that will permeate the team well after Peyton retires. Elway didn't bet the farm on an aging hall of famer with a few good years left in him just to take a couple of shots at a Lombardi and then sit back on his laurels. It is quite clear from the article that Elway loves to win, he will keep doing whatever it takes to make and maintain the Broncos as a winning franchise as long as he is here - from draft day, to free agency, to coaching staff, to the trainers, to the facilities, shit - he may have a say in the menu offerings at the stadium for all I know. I can absolutely guarantee you that Elway has a plan for quarterback that will be in place and ready to rock when the time comes for Manning to clean out his locker. I just don't get the need to question this at all.

Ok. I haven't seen one person on this message board say anything differently. Eveyrthing you have said, though, is exactly what every.... EVERY....manager would like to accomplish. Almost to the point of it not really needing to be said. I mean "he wants to build a winning franchise now and continue to have a winning franchise"... isn't exacly speaking wisdom that has never been expressed. It's basically a given.

My point with Manning is simple. As you said, a gift. An unexpected gift that allows the Broncos to win NOW. If John is given a choice between an impact player that would benefit this team, now, today, and while Manning is here or... one that will help this team down the road, he takes that Impact player for today and while Manning is here. EVERY manager/GM wants to build a "winning culture".. but accomplishing that "plan" isn't simply a matter of "just doing it."

John has stated he is always looking for the future of this team, and I believe that. However, I would bet a year's salary that his time table is on the Manning clock right now more than ANYTHING else. Because this league is built around the QB. If you don't have a good one, you aren't going anywhere.

As far as the "guarantee" that Elway has a plan for a Quarterback after Manning leaves that will be ready to rock..... I'll take that with a VERY limited grain of salt considering there is no way you can guarantee such a thing. Its a hope and a want we ALL have from our loved GOAT.

But lets not blink, for a MOMENT, that Elway wouldn't trade 5 years of future for a Super Bowl ring today.

Mike
01-09-2015, 07:43 PM
Elway is the ultimate competitor. I will not believe that he is sacrificing the future for today. He loves football and the Broncos and has done nothing except make us relevant again. None of the contracts he has made put the Broncos in bad shape and the drafts have been good. If Oz can't cut it, I have no doubt he will fix the problem.

LawDog
01-09-2015, 07:49 PM
Ok. I haven't seen one person on this message board say anything differently. Eveyrthing you have said, though, is exactly what every.... EVERY....manager would like to accomplish. Almost to the point of it not really needing to be said. I mean "he wants to build a winning franchise now and continue to have a winning franchise"... isn't exacly speaking wisdom that has never been expressed. It's basically a given.

My point with Manning is simple. As you said, a gift. An unexpected gift that allows the Broncos to win NOW. If John is given a choice between an impact player that would benefit this team, now, today, and while Manning is here or... one that will help this team down the road, he takes that Impact player for today and while Manning is here. EVERY manager/GM wants to build a "winning culture".. but accomplishing that "plan" isn't simply a matter of "just doing it."

John has stated he is always looking for the future of this team, and I believe that. However, I would bet a year's salary that his time table is on the Manning clock right now more than ANYTHING else. Because this league is built around the QB. If you don't have a good one, you aren't going anywhere.

As far as the "guarantee" that Elway has a plan for a Quarterback after Manning leaves that will be ready to rock..... I'll take that with a VERY limited grain of salt considering there is no way you can guarantee such a thing. Its a hope and a want we ALL have from our loved GOAT.

But lets not blink, for a MOMENT, that Elway wouldn't trade 5 years of future for a Super Bowl ring today.

I still have no idea what you're arguing. As far as my guarantee, that referred to Elway's PLAN at quarterback. I didn't guarantee that whatever that plan is will result in a seamless transition with a top shelf QB that will blow your expectations out of the water.

Also, while every manager wants to have that kind of a franchise, the league is littered with examples where teams have pushed all in on a marquee player or two to try and win now at the expense of the future. Or build a team around one player without committing to putting quality depth around him - see for example, Indy.

OrangeHoof
01-09-2015, 09:13 PM
Never know. Perhaps two years from now Aaron Rodgers will get pushed out as QB in Green Bay and here comes ol' Elway sweet-talking him to sign with the Broncos. This could be the start of an ongoing revoving door.

Simple Jaded
01-09-2015, 10:14 PM
Well shit, lets save some money and resign Tebow then. Woot!

Still has to be a QB though.

BroncoWave
01-09-2015, 10:33 PM
Never know. Perhaps two years from now Aaron Rodgers will get pushed out as QB in Green Bay and here comes ol' Elway sweet-talking him to sign with the Broncos. This could be the start of an ongoing revoving door.

Given what he just did with his contract, Tom Brady would be the much more likely next step of that revolving door.

pulse
01-09-2015, 10:52 PM
Given what he just did with his contract, Tom Brady would be the much more likely next step of that revolving door.

I don't think Brady will play football for another team. I could even see him retiring before the end of his contract. Perhaps even the same year as Manning. The QB landscape of 2016 or 2017 is going to look a lot different. As for Rodgers, he may restructure in a few years, but he'll be in GB through 2019. Denver better have a solid QB locked in place before then.

Ravage!!!
01-10-2015, 09:56 AM
I still have no idea what you're arguing. As far as my guarantee, that referred to Elway's PLAN at quarterback. I didn't guarantee that whatever that plan is will result in a seamless transition with a top shelf QB that will blow your expectations out of the water.

Also, while every manager wants to have that kind of a franchise, the league is littered with examples where teams have pushed all in on a marquee player or two to try and win now at the expense of the future. Or build a team around one player without committing to putting quality depth around him - see for example, Indy.

I still have no clue as to what you are arguing then.

Jsteve01
01-10-2015, 12:35 PM
Every big name free agent we've signed has been slightly below fair market with protection for the team written into the fine print. I've said it over and over but one of the huge coups for Elway was signing Mike Sullivan who literally is a cap guru.

When you see the number of Bronco drafted players who are getting significant time and then being resigned I have no idea where the assertion that he's not prepping for the future comes from. We may not always be on the winning side of trades but we haven't mortgaged the future ala shanahan in Washington.

Listen with the rookie wage scale there is far more flexibility to go heavy in free agency without screwing yourself.

Ravage!!!
01-10-2015, 12:44 PM
Every big name free agent we've signed has been slightly below fair market with protection for the team written into the fine print. I've said it over and over but one of the huge coups for Elway was signing Mike Sullivan who literally is a cap guru.

When you see the number of Bronco drafted players who are getting significant time and then being resigned I have no idea where the assertion that he's not prepping for the future comes from. We may not always be on the winning side of trades but we haven't mortgaged the future ala shanahan in Washington.

Listen with the rookie wage scale there is far more flexibility to go heavy in free agency without screwing yourself.

I think the ONLY person that has even suggested that he's not prepping for the future was Terrance Knighton in the article.

BroncoWave
01-10-2015, 12:46 PM
I don't think Brady will play football for another team. I could even see him retiring before the end of his contract. Perhaps even the same year as Manning. The QB landscape of 2016 or 2017 is going to look a lot different. As for Rodgers, he may restructure in a few years, but he'll be in GB through 2019. Denver better have a solid QB locked in place before then.

It wouldn't shock me one bit if Brady finishe his career with another team. Montana did, Favre did, Manning did, why not Brady? The restuctured contract of his makes it WAY easier for he and NE to part ways if they want. You know how Belichick likes to get rid of players before they start their decline. Now having said that I don't think Brady is ever a Bronco, but it would be no huge surprise to see him in a new uniform in two or three years.

Ravage!!!
01-10-2015, 12:49 PM
It wouldn't shock me one bit if Brady finishe his career with another team. Montana did, Favre did, Manning did, why not Brady? The restuctured contract of his makes it WAY easier for he and NE to part ways if they want. You know how Belichick likes to get rid of players before they start their decline. Now having said that I don't think Brady is ever a Bronco, but it would be no huge surprise to see him in a new uniform in two or three years.

It would to me. Unless NE has a chance to sign an Andrew Luck (they won't) and have reason to get rid of Belicheck. Those other teams changed GMs and/or HCs...cleaning house and the "old" QB went along with that.