PDA

View Full Version : Chuck Pagano, Colts expect Julius Thomas to be “a monster” Sunday

Denver Native (Carol)
01-08-2015, 05:52 PM
Julius Thomas is sick of explaining himself. The Broncos’ tight end, who started the season on a tear, hasn’t looked like himself since injuring his ankle about two months ago.

“Somebody who doesn’t know me very well, or doesn’t know what I do in my rehab, might say: ‘Oh, you played basketball. You’re not very good about fighting through injury,'” Thomas told the Post’s Mark Kiszla. “That’s their opinion. People can feel however they want about me. But I know.”

The Colts know, too. After all, they saw him catch seven passes for 104 yards with three touchdowns in Denver’s Week 1 victory over Indianapolis.

rest - http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2015/01/08/chuck-pagano-colts-expect-julius-thomas-monster-sunday/31993/

MOtorboat
01-09-2015, 03:44 AM
It's so great to have a Pro Bowl tight end again.

BroncoWave
01-09-2015, 07:55 AM
When healthy, which he clearly hasn't been lately, he's a top 3 tight end in the game. Would be a shame if we lost him this offseason.

NightTrainLayne
01-09-2015, 10:22 AM
It's so great to have a Pro Bowl tight end again.

Funny you mention it in this thread.

Shannon Sharpe was on with Pat Kirwin, and Jim Miller on the NFL channel on Sirius/XM. Shannon said, "Jim, you and I know this. Basketball players are soft. They just can't fight through injuries the same way."

:D

GEM
01-09-2015, 10:23 AM
Man, Shannon is full of the haterade when it comes to Julius.

BroncoWave
01-09-2015, 10:27 AM
I think shannon just likes getting attention. Especially not being on tv anymore.

Slick
01-09-2015, 10:30 AM
Man, Shannon is full of the haterade when it comes to Julius.

I think Shannon makes those types of comments because he wants to see Julius get tougher.

Valar Morghulis
01-09-2015, 11:18 AM
I think Gates and Gonzalez would have something to say about it.

But thomas is a flaccid individual

Ravage!!!
01-09-2015, 11:23 AM
I think Sharp has a hard time giving the JT credit. Shannon is still a competitor, and doesn't want to give the "other guy" too much credit, even though he's past playing.

NightTrainLayne
01-09-2015, 11:36 AM
I think mainly that Shannon was joking around for the most part.

GEM
01-09-2015, 11:38 AM
I think Shannon makes those types of comments because he wants to see Julius get tougher.

I hope that's the reason.

104.3 the fan has an interview with Rod Smith, they ask him who the best Broncos WR is of all time, he answers ME! He then says that he and Shannon were talking to Demaryius and Demaryius told them that he appreciates breaking Rod's records. Then he said that he and Shannon showed their SB rings and said come back and talk to us when you get one of these, to which Demaryius said I plan to!! :D

BroncoJoe
01-09-2015, 11:44 AM
There were whispers while he was out that he wasn't working hard to get back on the field. The coaches dressed him for a game, and he didn't want to go in.

It could be because this is his contract year and doesn't want to destroy his ankle. Who knows.

GEM
01-09-2015, 12:08 PM
Hard to get a big contract sitting out most of your contract year and not knowing if that ankle is coming back fully.

Ravage!!!
01-09-2015, 12:37 PM
There were whispers while he was out that he wasn't working hard to get back on the field. The coaches dressed him for a game, and he didn't want to go in.

It could be because this is his contract year and doesn't want to destroy his ankle. Who knows.

Like you said, "who knows." I mean, that VERY easily could be just more talk about how JT is "soft".... and people taking the ball and running with it.

Slick
01-09-2015, 12:50 PM
Like you said, "who knows." I mean, that VERY easily could be just more talk about how JT is "soft".... and people taking the ball and running with it.

He IS soft. I don't think it's even debatable.

BroncoJoe
01-09-2015, 12:52 PM

I love what he brings to the team, but I can't argue this statement either.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-09-2015, 12:53 PM

No kidding, where did you hear that? There's no way he would be back next year if that's true, at least not for anything close to what he's going to want.

Slick
01-09-2015, 12:55 PM
I love what he brings to the team, but I can't argue this statement either.

I do too. He's an extremely talented player.

BroncoJoe
01-09-2015, 12:56 PM
No kidding, where did you hear that? There's no way he would be back next year if that's true, at least not for anything close to what he's going to want.

It was discussed on one of the talk shows locally. Some of the guys close to the organization were talking about how the coaches were frustrated with him (not calling him faking injury, but close) and talked about his first game back - dressed but didn't play. Not even for one play. I don't remember the game, but remember watching the camera go to him on the sidelines frequently. No helmet, looking somewhat disinterested.

Again, that viewpoint may be skewed by commentary - true or false.

NightTrainLayne
01-09-2015, 01:01 PM
Well, if that's true, we should be preparing our good-bye's for JT. :(

I would hate to see his talent leave, but there ain't no room for that kind of team-mate on a championship caliber team either.

Jsteve01
01-09-2015, 01:01 PM

It could be because this is his contract year and doesn't want to destroy his ankle. Who knows.. Flip side is his contract valued is diminished every game he misses now due to the perception of chronic ankles

Runamok
01-09-2015, 02:19 PM
What about Pagano? How do you perceive him?

I put him in a league with Marv Lewis and Jim Caldwell.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-09-2015, 02:24 PM
It was discussed on one of the talk shows locally. Some of the guys close to the organization were talking about how the coaches were frustrated with him (not calling him faking injury, but close) and talked about his first game back - dressed but didn't play. Not even for one play. I don't remember the game, but remember watching the camera go to him on the sidelines frequently. No helmet, looking somewhat disinterested.

Again, that viewpoint may be skewed by commentary - true or false.

Funny that you mention that. I remember that game. My son, who is not a vested fan like me, commented on how disinterested he looked in that game.

Ravage!!!
01-09-2015, 02:47 PM

Why, cause you think he's soft?

Valar Morghulis
01-09-2015, 02:53 PM

I am with slick - i dont see the debate. OUtside the redzone the dude is a liability

Ravage!!!
01-09-2015, 04:20 PM
I am with slick - i dont see the debate. OUtside the redzone the dude is a liability

It's just simply a matter of opinion. All opinions can be debated. What he creates for mismatches, THUS, having to have coverage LBs/safety/DB to account for him causes problems for a defense no matter WHERE on the field that might be. I can VERY easily point out that those are, in NO way, a liability.

Valar Morghulis
01-09-2015, 04:23 PM
It's just simply a matter of opinion. All opinions can be debated. What he creates for mismatches, THUS, having to have coverage LBs/safety/DB to account for him causes problems for a defense no matter WHERE on the field that might be. I can VERY easily point out that those are, in NO way, a liability.

I am not debating his talent - he is very talented. I am not even refuting his mismatches - I am agreeing with Slick that he is soft. I accept my liability comment was OTT. But the dude is soft as shit

Ravage!!!
01-09-2015, 04:27 PM
But the dude is soft as shit
and that's an opinion that you and Slick agree upon. Doesn't make it "non-debatable."

Valar Morghulis
01-09-2015, 04:34 PM
and that's an opinion that you and Slick agree upon. Doesn't make it "non-debatable."

so you think he is hard?

BCJ
01-09-2015, 04:51 PM
Which Pro bowler is Pagano talking about? The one from beginning of the season or the one that hasn't done much near the end of the season? I hope he isn't dogging it based on a big pay day contract. I won't believe it until I see it Sunday with Thomas. I am beginning to think he won't be around next year ala Decker.

Northman
01-09-2015, 04:53 PM
I would hate to see his talent leave, but there ain't no room for that kind of team-mate on a championship caliber team either.

Pretty much.

Jsteve01
01-09-2015, 05:54 PM
If you go back and look at the ugh combine numbers Virgil actually looks like the superior athlete. Now may not mean he ever becomes the type of mismatch that JT represents but if you go back and look at his college tape from Nevada he was a legit playmaker

Ravage!!!
01-09-2015, 05:59 PM
If you go back and look at the ugh combine numbers Virgil actually looks like the superior athlete. Now may not mean he ever becomes the type of mismatch that JT represents but if you go back and look at his college tape from Nevada he was a legit playmaker

Yeah. But that means very little until proven to be on the NFL field. I mean, Ryan Leaf looked to be "superior" to many QBs coming out of the combine.

Slick
01-09-2015, 08:49 PM

If you think he's a tough, physical TE we are at an impass. That's okay. It's not the first time we've disagreed.

DenBronx
01-10-2015, 04:57 AM

so you think he is hard?

Hard in the paint. Dude scores TDs.

Jsteve01
01-10-2015, 12:21 PM
, athletic, pass-catching tight end / H-back with big-play potential who doesn't bring much to the table as a blocker. Has good burst off the line and doesn't idle down in and out of his breaks but is susceptible to press coverage and doesn't exhibit great awareness against zone coverage. Possesses outstanding ball skills. Did not make a load of explosive plays in college but has a high ceiling here due to his speed and hands. Shows good effort as a blocker and could improve technique but lacks natural size and strength to excel in this area. could sneak into Day 2.

Valar Morghulis
01-10-2015, 12:37 PM
, athletic, pass-catching tight end / H-back with big-play potential who doesn't bring much to the table as a blocker. Has good burst off the line and doesn't idle down in and out of his breaks but is susceptible to press coverage and doesn't exhibit great awareness against zone coverage. Possesses outstanding ball skills. Did not make a load of explosive plays in college but has a high ceiling here due to his speed and hands. Shows good effort as a blocker and could improve technique but lacks natural size and strength to excel in this area. could sneak into Day 2.

who is that describing?

Jsteve01
01-10-2015, 02:47 PM
Green, the blocking was an unexpected bonus. Everyone saw him as a specimen who could flash big play potential. He had better numbers than jt in every combine category. I watched his predraft tape back then. Uber athletic. kapernick loved him