PDA

View Full Version : “Tao” of John Elway revealed in Sports Illustrated feature

Denver Native (Carol)
01-06-2015, 08:44 PM
As the Denver Broncos prepare to host the Indianapolis Colts in an AFC divisional playoff game on Sunday, the two biggest players have been, and will continue to be, dissected in every way imaginable. Sunday’s game is Peyton Manning vs. Andrew Luck, the veteran vs. the youngster, the former Colt vs. his replacement.

But it’s also about John Elway, how’s he gone from being an on-field decision-maker to a front-office decision-maker, how he turned a 4-12 team into a Super Bowl contender, how he responded to a 43-8 thrashing in the big game with a slew of defensive acquisitions.

He’s the star behind the scenes, and he’s built a team that is made for winning now. As Elway looks to do just that with another run at the Lombardi Trophy, Sports Illustrated‘s S.L. Price profiled the Broncos’ general manager, revealing what makes him tick. After all, going from Hall of Fame of player to one of the game’s best executives is no easy feat. Just ask Michael Jordan.

rest - some good stuff - will hit the stands on Thursday
http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/2015/01/06/john-elway-feature-sports-illustrated/31951/

sneakers
01-07-2015, 03:20 AM
Tao Ming

FanInAZ
01-07-2015, 04:49 AM
Great article, but what does "Tao" have to do with anything. His sister, although deceased, was a real person, not a figment of his imagination. Comparing Elway's grieving process to Tao's imagination isn't just apples to oranges, but a bit tasteless in my option.

BroncoWave
01-07-2015, 08:09 AM
Great article, but what does "Tao" have to do with anything. His sister, although deceased, was a real person, not a figment of his imagination. Comparing Elway's grieving process to Tao's imagination isn't just apples to oranges, but a bit tasteless in my option.

It's just an expression. I think you're taking it a bit literally.

Denver Native (Carol)
01-07-2015, 11:13 AM

Tao might have been used by the person writing the DP article, which may or may not have been used in the SI article, which will be available tomorrow.

BroncoWave
01-07-2015, 11:16 AM
Tao might have been used by the person writing the DP article, which may or may not have been used in the SI article, which will be available tomorrow.

The person who writes the article doesn't even usually title it. That's typically an editor.

SoCalImport
01-07-2015, 12:02 PM
Tao just means the way or path. It's from eastern philosophy.

SoCalImport
01-07-2015, 12:03 PM
Also from Winnie the poo ;)

tubby
01-07-2015, 12:18 PM
Someone should write the Tao of Nut.

Buff
01-07-2015, 12:24 PM
Interesting that we now have confirmation that Elway said something to Manning after the St Louis game - which we all know was kind of the turning point in the season. I would suspect that it was Elway's influence as much as Fox's that resulted in our shift towards the running game.

aberdien
01-07-2015, 02:36 PM

I don't even know what you're saying :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tao

aberdien
01-07-2015, 02:38 PM
"In kindergarten in Aberdeen, Wash., John insisted on being a captain whenever teams were picked, and he wanted the best players. Get in trouble for talking in class? Never bothered John. But when the teacher evened out the competition by putting one particularly slow learner on his team, John burst into tears."

Sometimes kids cried on my youth sports teams when i was a kid. I would laugh at them.

Ravage!!!
01-07-2015, 03:01 PM
"In kindergarten in Aberdeen, Wash., John insisted on being a captain whenever teams were picked, and he wanted the best players. Get in trouble for talking in class? Never bothered John. But when the teacher evened out the competition by putting one particularly slow learner on his team, John burst into tears."

Sometimes kids cried on my youth sports teams when i was a kid. I would laugh at them.

They were laughing because you were on their team.

aberdien
01-07-2015, 03:32 PM
They were laughing because you were on their team.
I was the Kyle Orton of my youth sports teams.