PDA

View Full Version : Rackhouse Pub five-cheese beer-baked Mac & Cheese

tomjonesrocks
01-05-2015, 10:52 PM
Have any of you ever been to Rackhouse Pub in Denver?

Ran across a five-cheese Mac & Beer Cheese recipe that supposedly is from there. Never been to that place or even heard of them, but was considering it for Sunday's game...
http://www.rackhousepub.com/food-menu/

Stone Brewery in SD has an incredible beer Mac. Curious how this one fares by comparison.

Recipe...
http://seattletimes.com/html/foodwine/2013153592_web20mcacheese.html

BTW this is someone's interpretation of the Stone Brewery recipe...hmm. Does look a lot like it.
http://sugarcrafter.net/2012/05/10/mac-beer-cheese/

Decisions decisions...

Davii
01-06-2015, 12:02 AM
Never heard of any of it TJR, but holy crap I want to try this. Now.

shank
01-06-2015, 11:05 AM
rackhouse has great mac and cheese. they are on hiatus now while they move into a new location though - give it a go.

tomjonesrocks
01-07-2015, 09:18 PM
Well after extended consideration I feel like I should do the Denver Brewery recipe since its for the game.

I'll give a review and maybe photos if there's interest.

OB
01-08-2015, 10:13 AM
I am not a fan of baked mac n cheese it's always dry and never creamy

I do not like bread crumbs on my mac and cheese either - mac n cheese is supposed to be smooth and creamy - not dry and crunchy

And I would love to know how it turns out and what you think because I am always up for new recipes - I just may tweak it for my tastes

Pudge
01-08-2015, 10:25 AM
I am not a fan of baked mac n cheese it's always dry and never creamy

I do not like bread crumbs on my mac and cheese either - mac n cheese is supposed to be smooth and creamy - not dry and crunchy

And I would love to know how it turns out and what you think because I am always up for new recipes - I just may tweak it for my tastes

My god I thought I was picky

OB
01-08-2015, 10:54 AM
My god I thought I was picky

I am picky - you know this man - but I love any and all mac n cheese - those are just my preferences - I will still eat it - If I were to make that I would probably just skip the baking part and the breadcrumbs.

I just dont see the need to bake mac n cheese - esp for a whole hour - it's already cooked before you even put it in the oven

tomjonesrocks
01-08-2015, 12:55 PM
I am picky - you know this man - but I love any and all mac n cheese - those are just my preferences - I will still eat it - If I were to make that I would probably just skip the baking part and the breadcrumbs. I just dont see the need to bake mac n cheese - esp for a whole hour - it's already cooked before you even put it in the oven

I do agree. I may use the ingredients then just put crumbs under the broiler, we will see. The sodium citrate trick works to keep the creaminess though.

Al Wilson 4 Mayor
01-08-2015, 01:04 PM
I am picky - you know this man - but I love any and all mac n cheese - those are just my preferences - I will still eat it - If I were to make that I would probably just skip the baking part and the breadcrumbs.

I just dont see the need to bake mac n cheese - esp for a whole hour - it's already cooked before you even put it in the oven

I would think putting it in the oven on "broil " would bake a glaze on it in about 10 minutes.

OB
01-08-2015, 01:34 PM
The sodium citrate trick works to keep the creaminess though.

Whats that?

tomjonesrocks
01-08-2015, 10:35 PM
Whats that?

Sodium Citrate is this slightly chemically different salt that somehow prevents cheese from getting gritty. Might have originated from this trendy $150 "Modernist Chef" book. Dunno.

But it works -- you add a super small amount. You can even reheat Mac and Cheese made with it with no grittiness. I bought a lifetime supply for like $10.

Kinda a Google and see what you think thing...

Davii
01-09-2015, 01:03 AM
This will sound crazy, best mac n cheese ever is chow hall mac n cheese. Spectacular.

tomjonesrocks
01-11-2015, 04:27 PM
Yeah, the Rackhouse Recipe wasn't horrible.

I modified some quantities but the combination was the same. I thought 2 packages of cream cheese for 16oz pasta was insane, I cut so I cut that to the most of one.

Didn't bake for an hour either. 10 min at 350 to reaheat, then broiled the parm and buttered-breadcrumb crust for a couple a min to brown.

For beer I used Ballast Point Sculpin, which you can't ******* go wrong with...

Made a second batch for my daughter with just cheddar (in the background) and no weird cheeses. Good, but not as good as ours. Was creamy though. I use 1 tsp sodium citrate for every 2 cups "gritty"-type cheeses. Then use an immersion blender for total smooth annihilation. Things don't get gritty then.

OB
01-12-2015, 12:18 AM
That looks YUM!!!

TessM
04-09-2015, 02:51 PM
Wow, really mouth watering and delicious :lol:

tomjonesrocks
04-09-2015, 09:40 PM
Wow, really mouth watering and delicious :lol:

The Mac was better than the game by a very, very wide margin.